RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Catie!!

Oh how I wish we would have talked earlier :{   This is awesome information, Chelsea,  you may want to try St. Luois!  It sure is closer!!  Can you call me? Or actually have call me, I would love to talk to her.

Judy Poland

417-581-1358  hm

417-619-4799 cell

judypoland5@...

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Chad And Catie <chadandcatie@...> wrote:

Judy, 

I am so sorry your experience with speaking with a nurse at St Louis Shriners was less than perfect. My friend has had Drue casted by Dr. L at St. Louis and had a reverse experience. Dr. L was trained by our Dr. and has embraced the derotational casting process to the guidelines outlined by Dr. Mehta. They use a modified Spica frame the same as is used in Salt Lake City I believe. Drues cast is identical in appearence and cut outs match that of and the results have been wonderful. I would advocate contacting for the doctors contact info directly rather than calling the hospital. I have a personal relationship with the doctors partner who is one of the leading researchers in pediatric scoliosis in the Midwest.  They are committed to providing support to Chicago Shriners and work with our doctor frequently. We contacted Dr. S directly rather than go through the hospital initially and were seen and casted like Drue in St. Louis within weeks. 

I am glad you are at a center you are comfortable with. I can assure the doctor Drue sees is committed to saving kids with casting and wish you would have had a different experience. Hope this info helps to clarify that of the doctor in St. Louis if not the center. is at soccer all day today but will chime in with her personal experience tonight I am sure.  

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2010, at 8:10 AM, " judypoland5 " <judypoland5@...> wrote:

Chelsea,Welcome to CAST! My name is Judy and we seem to live kinda close to you. We live in Springfield, MO. Anyway, we were seeing Dr.A from Kansas City's Chilren's Hospital for awhile, from the time that ELi was 10 months til we decided to do a cast for his treatment this past Feb.(16 mon). He did offer us the casting option but they did not offer the Mehta casting that we had read about on the internet. We spoke to him after our last apt 2-11 and told him that we would like to be refered to Shriner's in SLC(Salt Lake City) he gave us the two options if we wanted Mehta casting, Rochester, NY or SLC, UT. We did look into casting at SHriner's ST. Louis, becasue the way that Shriner's work is they wanted to send us to the closest hosp to us. But when we explored that, which was AN AWFUL conversation with one of the DRs nurses that we had been assigned to.(Sorry, but it was awful) We found out that they didn't know what I was even talking about when we refered to the casting style Mehta, which in their defense, they might call it something different, I was so new at the time in this I didnt realize what I needed. I was told by my unfriendly nurse that obviously the DR doesn't believe in the Mehta casting or he would be doing it. So, I said thanks, and hung up. But Shriner's just transfered us to SLC the same day. We called and sent Xrays and were accepted pretty much all in the same day. Yeah!

But, I will tell you, our Dr. from KS was awesome and he wanted to come with us to find out how to do the Mehta type cast. His group of DRs had ordered a Mehta table to do her casting!! Yippee! And instead of coming with us this month to SLC, Dr. M (herself) is coming down in JUNE and they were looking for kid-o's that wanted to be casted. He called us, but we didnt want to wait until June. I feel like we have lost some time in this, even though our care coordinator in Salt Lake said we are doing good on the timing of everything : ) Yeah, for cheerleaders in my corner!! But anyways, we did a few things, we applied online and we had our specials from KS give us a referral too. Anyway, that might have been overkill but we got in! : )

I know that you don't know much about Shriner's neither do we, but we didn't know much about the other hospitals either that did the casting. Shriner's is FREE, which is so amazing!! And when you apply they give you TONS of info!! So one step at a time, I would get online and apply. You don't even have to wait til Monday. We applied on Friday and got a call Tuesday. That might have been fast, IDK?

Get this, there is also a place called Angel Flight that is paying for my husband, me and Eli to fly to Utah!! And then there is our local chapter of Shriner's that is paying for the gas for us to drive to Kansas City so we can fly out from there..

This whole process is so overwelming and we are not very much ahead of you on this journey, but girl, I have found this GROUP to be AMAZING!! And I am taking this all one day at a time!! Many Blessing to you and your little one! By the way, she shares her birthday with our oldest child Ben! : ) Good day!

I hope this info has helped, im a little late chiming in. Busy day yesterday, we are supposed to be heading out in the morning to get Eli's first cast. : )Judy Poland, mom of Ben, Josh and Eli(39*, diagnoised at 9 months and supposed to be getting our first cast this Tuesday in SLC)

> >> > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt lake city or Chicago are your closest options.

> > > > Sent from my iPhone> >>

Guest guest

Catie!!

Oh how I wish we would have talked earlier :{   This is awesome information, Chelsea,  you may want to try St. Luois!  It sure is closer!!  Can you call me? Or actually have call me, I would love to talk to her.

Judy Poland

417-581-1358  hm

417-619-4799 cell

judypoland5@...

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Chad And Catie <chadandcatie@...> wrote:

Judy, 

I am so sorry your experience with speaking with a nurse at St Louis Shriners was less than perfect. My friend has had Drue casted by Dr. L at St. Louis and had a reverse experience. Dr. L was trained by our Dr. and has embraced the derotational casting process to the guidelines outlined by Dr. Mehta. They use a modified Spica frame the same as is used in Salt Lake City I believe. Drues cast is identical in appearence and cut outs match that of and the results have been wonderful. I would advocate contacting for the doctors contact info directly rather than calling the hospital. I have a personal relationship with the doctors partner who is one of the leading researchers in pediatric scoliosis in the Midwest.  They are committed to providing support to Chicago Shriners and work with our doctor frequently. We contacted Dr. S directly rather than go through the hospital initially and were seen and casted like Drue in St. Louis within weeks. 

I am glad you are at a center you are comfortable with. I can assure the doctor Drue sees is committed to saving kids with casting and wish you would have had a different experience. Hope this info helps to clarify that of the doctor in St. Louis if not the center. is at soccer all day today but will chime in with her personal experience tonight I am sure.  

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 27, 2010, at 8:10 AM, " judypoland5 " <judypoland5@...> wrote:

Chelsea,Welcome to CAST! My name is Judy and we seem to live kinda close to you. We live in Springfield, MO. Anyway, we were seeing Dr.A from Kansas City's Chilren's Hospital for awhile, from the time that ELi was 10 months til we decided to do a cast for his treatment this past Feb.(16 mon). He did offer us the casting option but they did not offer the Mehta casting that we had read about on the internet. We spoke to him after our last apt 2-11 and told him that we would like to be refered to Shriner's in SLC(Salt Lake City) he gave us the two options if we wanted Mehta casting, Rochester, NY or SLC, UT. We did look into casting at SHriner's ST. Louis, becasue the way that Shriner's work is they wanted to send us to the closest hosp to us. But when we explored that, which was AN AWFUL conversation with one of the DRs nurses that we had been assigned to.(Sorry, but it was awful) We found out that they didn't know what I was even talking about when we refered to the casting style Mehta, which in their defense, they might call it something different, I was so new at the time in this I didnt realize what I needed. I was told by my unfriendly nurse that obviously the DR doesn't believe in the Mehta casting or he would be doing it. So, I said thanks, and hung up. But Shriner's just transfered us to SLC the same day. We called and sent Xrays and were accepted pretty much all in the same day. Yeah!

But, I will tell you, our Dr. from KS was awesome and he wanted to come with us to find out how to do the Mehta type cast. His group of DRs had ordered a Mehta table to do her casting!! Yippee! And instead of coming with us this month to SLC, Dr. M (herself) is coming down in JUNE and they were looking for kid-o's that wanted to be casted. He called us, but we didnt want to wait until June. I feel like we have lost some time in this, even though our care coordinator in Salt Lake said we are doing good on the timing of everything : ) Yeah, for cheerleaders in my corner!! But anyways, we did a few things, we applied online and we had our specials from KS give us a referral too. Anyway, that might have been overkill but we got in! : )

I know that you don't know much about Shriner's neither do we, but we didn't know much about the other hospitals either that did the casting. Shriner's is FREE, which is so amazing!! And when you apply they give you TONS of info!! So one step at a time, I would get online and apply. You don't even have to wait til Monday. We applied on Friday and got a call Tuesday. That might have been fast, IDK?

Get this, there is also a place called Angel Flight that is paying for my husband, me and Eli to fly to Utah!! And then there is our local chapter of Shriner's that is paying for the gas for us to drive to Kansas City so we can fly out from there..

This whole process is so overwelming and we are not very much ahead of you on this journey, but girl, I have found this GROUP to be AMAZING!! And I am taking this all one day at a time!! Many Blessing to you and your little one! By the way, she shares her birthday with our oldest child Ben! : ) Good day!

I hope this info has helped, im a little late chiming in. Busy day yesterday, we are supposed to be heading out in the morning to get Eli's first cast. : )Judy Poland, mom of Ben, Josh and Eli(39*, diagnoised at 9 months and supposed to be getting our first cast this Tuesday in SLC)

> >> > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt lake city or Chicago are your closest options.

> > > > Sent from my iPhone> >>

Guest guest

Chelsea,

We are so glad you found CAST! I just wanted to let you my experience with

casting has been nothing short of a miracle. My son started casting with a 49

degree curve when he was 12 months old. After 7 casts and a brace, his back is

now straight and 0 degrees. Mehta style casting really does work. If you

choose casting please make sure you find a doctor who is Mehta trained and uses

the correct table. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

Barb

Mom to Evan

49 degrees to 0 degrees

Treated at Rochester NY

> > >

> > > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't

currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt

lake city or Chicago are your closest options.

> > >

> > > Sent from my iPhone

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Hey Barb--

How long did it take your lil one to complete all of his casting and bracing?

thanks

amanda

From: Barbara <barbb1010@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Sat, March 27, 2010 9:12:32 PMSubject: Re: Help

Chelsea,We are so glad you found CAST! I just wanted to let you my experience with casting has been nothing short of a miracle. My son started casting with a 49 degree curve when he was 12 months old. After 7 casts and a brace, his back is now straight and 0 degrees. Mehta style casting really does work. If you choose casting please make sure you find a doctor who is Mehta trained and uses the correct table. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.BarbMom to Evan49 degrees to 0 degreesTreated at Rochester NY> > >> > > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt lake city or Chicago are your closest options. > > > > > > Sent from my iPhone> > >> >>

Guest guest

Hey Barb--

How long did it take your lil one to complete all of his casting and bracing?

thanks

amanda

From: Barbara <barbb1010@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Sat, March 27, 2010 9:12:32 PMSubject: Re: Help

Chelsea,We are so glad you found CAST! I just wanted to let you my experience with casting has been nothing short of a miracle. My son started casting with a 49 degree curve when he was 12 months old. After 7 casts and a brace, his back is now straight and 0 degrees. Mehta style casting really does work. If you choose casting please make sure you find a doctor who is Mehta trained and uses the correct table. Please let me know if I can answer any questions.BarbMom to Evan49 degrees to 0 degreesTreated at Rochester NY> > >> > > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt lake city or Chicago are your closest options. > > > > > > Sent from my iPhone> > >> >>

Guest guest

Evan was in a cast for about 18 months and then he had another 10 months in a

brace. He has been out of a brace for about 9 months and we go back for x-rays

in another 3. So far, with just viewing his back with the naked eye, it looks

like it is holding straight to me. At the time, the casting process felt like

an eternity. Now looking back, it really wasnt that long at all and worth every

second.

Barb

Mom to Evan

49 degrees to 0 degrees

Treated at Rochester, NY

> > > >

> > > > As a side note, my cousin is a nurse at childrens mercy and they don't

currently use derotational casting to my knowledge. St. Louis Shriners, salt

lake city or Chicago are your closest options.

> > > >

> > > > Sent from my iPhone

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I cured mine by taking 20,000 IUs of vitamin A (a combination of retinol and

fish liver oil). It was on the back of my thigh and spreading up my

backside. Within a week it was gone. Make sure you get " adequate " vit D at

the same time.

Previously I had stopped 10,000 IUs of A per day and substituted large

amounts of carotenes (from both supplements and carrots), as the Vitamin D

Council and Dr Mercola had advised. Shortly thereafter, the skin problems

started. I will be sticking to the REAL vit A hereafter, as advised by the

WESTON A PRICE FOUNDATION.

HELP

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS

ARE SO TOXIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RUTH

Guest guest

There is a supplement from the Life Extension Foundation called Dermawhey.  If

you go to their website and do a search it will pull up articles and studies and

suggest other supplements that may be helpful too.

HELP

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS ARE SO

TOXIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RUTH

Guest guest

stay away from the Nightshade vegtables(tomato,potato,eggplant,peppers, and I

can't remember the 5th one)

Subject: HELP

Longevity

Date: Thursday, July 8, 2010, 2:02 PM

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS

ARE SO TOXIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RUTH

Guest guest

Hi Ruth,

Please read

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2004/12/01/ease-that-itch.asp\

x

and do read the comment that readers wrote. Altogether, a lot of potentially

useful info for you.

Hang in there, d. mindock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------\

------------------

HELP

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS ARE SO

TOXIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RUTH

Guest guest

1.Avoid food allergens/sensitivities. Http://www.psorsite.com/docs/askdocs

HTML

2. Apply coconut oil to patches.

http://www.articlealley.com/article_570787_23.html

3. Eat healthy foods and avoid any foods with flavorings, artificial or

natural flavors, and all the other chemical name ingredients.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/psoriasis_and_diet.html

4. Get some sunlight and make sure you're up on vitamin D

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090429175930.htm

http://www.mothernature.com/Library/Bookshelf/Books/10/98.cfm

These are the ways that work in our house.

Sincerely, Barb M.

-- HELP

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS ARE

SO TOXIC.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

RUTH

Guest guest

I have seen the protocols that Bee Wilder recommends appear to cause

miracles - of coarse they are not miracles, just the body responding to the

tools it is given.

Many alternative doctors, as well as Bee Wilder, say that Psoriasis is a

symptoms of candida. Well whether it is or not, psoriasis does go away

permanently when treated as one would treat candida. Some treatments will

address only the psoriasis and it will go away but come back a month later or a

year later, etc. - I assume you want the psoriasis to go away and not come

back? If so, my information is that you need to address not just the the

psoriasis on the skin, you need to address the candida in the digestive system

too.

Symptoms, Diseases, Defects & Malfunctions Caused by Candida

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/cabout3.php

Oil of Oregano

All of this helps make oregano oil a significant factor in treating internal and

external candida. Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and eczema, can be improved

with oil of oregano as well. Ingram explains the astonishing discovery that " oil

of oregano outright destroys all variety of fungi and yeasts, regardless of

where they reside. "

http://www.healingnaturallybybee.com/articles/anti6.php

Bee Wilder also has a group to help those with candida and answer

questions - she gets amazing resuilts.

I have Lyme Disease and a co-infection Bartonella - I have been told that

everyone with Lyme has Candida, but I know that I do as I was on antibiotics

for 13 months too. I will do Bee's protocol when I have got rid of all

bacteia/parasities so that I can have good health. Killing the bacteria alone

will not give good health but Bee's protocol builds up the immune system as well

as rebalancing the digestive system.

Good luck.

blessings

Shan

>

> DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT CAN I USE FOR SEVERE PSORIASIS, CONVENTIONAL MEDS ARE SO

TOXIC.

> THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

> RUTH

>

Guest guest

My son Logan was the same way when he was little, he is 15 now, we still have

problems, some are the same, some are different. I fought the school, for years,

literally, until they finally put him in the special ed day class-all day long

in the fourth grade. First they tested him and said that his scores were high,

so he didnt belong in special ed. Well, the teachers kept telling me that he

just wasnt functioning in the classroom-not paying attention, pacing around, and

disturbing others. This went on for years. Finally I got them to call an IEP

metting-Individualized Education Plan meeting, I requested his doctors, special

ed administrators, the principal, past teachers, sunday school teachers and

anybody else I could think of, there was like 20 people there. The principal

kept saying he didnt belong in the special ed day class, that he wouldnt fit in

there. Finally I asked him, " Then where does he fit in, the other teachers say

he dosent fit in with the regular class, and you say he dosent fit in with

special ed, so exactly where does he fit in " . Everyone just sat there and looked

at each other. I asked cant you just try it like part time and see what happens,

well about a month later, they called me and said he ws doing so well that they

were going to put him in there full time, i was glad and upset, because if they

would have listened to me on the first place maybe he wouldnt be so far behind

even now. You have to instist they do something. Call them everyday until they

do something.

>

> I'm struggling with my 4 year old's early childhood special education

> teacher. I'm sure you all have been there and can lend some advice.

> First a little history about Garett.

>

> Garett was in early intervention at 18 months, first because of mild

> language delays we chalked up to recurrent ear infections, then because

> of sensory integration difficulties and adaptive and fine motor delays.

> When we moved to a different state when he was 28 months, he was no

> longer eligible for school services because of differing eligility

> criteria. It was a two hour drive to private services with pediatric

> experience, and the school said he was fine, so we didn't pursue it. At

> his 3 year check up the doctor recommended he have his hearing checked

> because of speech intelligibility issues We did and the results are

> automatically sent to the school (his hearing is normal if he doesn't

> have an ear infection). The speech therapist tested him for services

> and he was not delayed enough to meet eligibility criteria and she gave

> us things to work on at home. When she followed up three months later

> he had not made any progress so she started the school evaluation

> process again. Meanwhile we had enrolled Garett in a preschool with a

> special class for three year olds. He tuned out, would not listen,

> would not interact, would run away from the teachers, have toileting

> accidents, etc. 95 % of the time. We pulled him after 6 weeks. The

> school evaluations showed he qualified for services because of delayed

> fine motor, adaptive, and personal social skills. He was in services

> for four weeks before school dismissed for the summer Because he had

> only been in services for four weeks, he did not qualify to receive

> summer services as they could not prove he would regress more than other

> kids. (The qualifying criteria for ESY make no sense at all) Because

> of his delays, Garett became eligible to receive respite care from

> another program. The coordinator of that program observed him in his

> ECSE classroom and called me with concerns that Garett had an autism

> spectrum disorder. This led to us seeing a pediatric specialist last

> summer and his diagnosis with PDD.

>

> Anyway, Garett now attends ECSE (Early Childhood Special Education) four

> mornings a week, where he is one of three to four children with special

> needs of varying degrees with one special education teacher, two special

> ed aides and the speech therapist and occupational therapist at

> different times. Since I quit working after our third child was born,

> he stays two afternoons a week for a school sponsored preschool that

> meets in the special ed class room to provide opportunities for those

> kids in the special ed class to interact with typically developing

> kids. The ratio is still 4 to 5 adults with 12 kids. Needless to say,

> the environment is very structured, very controlled and Garett is

> hovered over every minute. In this setting, his teacher says she has no

> problems with his behavior. I believe her. When I have him one on one,

> I have few problems. The thing is, life is not one on one.

>

> Far from it. We have a 10 year old with ADHD and a baby who is a

> preemie with respiratory problems. For a week I would like to switch

> places with his teacher and she can try to maintain that strict control

> while trying to meet the needs of two other children with special needs,

> and cook supper, do laundry, supervise homework, pay bills....you know

> all those things that go along with running a household.

>

> Last week, my husband took Garett to his parent/child group because I

> was in the hospital with the baby (he had severe croup). The last part

> of the time is spent with the parents meeting in a different room. When

> my husband returned to the room where the kids were, Garett was

> missing. He was found, he does these things, I've learned to live with

> it. The leader of this group and his special ed teacher co-teach the

> preschool he is in the two afternoons. The special ed teacher found out

> about Garett's great escape. She confronted my husband about it when he

> took him to school this morning " Why do you guys have so many problems

> with him? I never do here " , insinuating that it was my husband's fault

> when he was not even in the room. This is not the first time she has

> done this. Garett is eligible for respite and PCA services but has to

> have a behavior plan in place so his caregivers know how to handle it

> when behaviors occur. When I called to include her in the meeting she

> wondered why we were doing that...she didn't have any problems when he's

> at school. She has also questioned his diagnosis on several occasions.

>

> What do we do? Obviously he needs special ed because he cannot function

> in a regular preschool. Because we are so rural and in a small district

> this is the only option for services that we have. I am so frustrated

> with her and I don't know how to approach her about it without

> jeopardizing the relationship we need to have because she is Garett's

> teacher.

>

Guest guest

Candy,

I commend your constant efforts to bring all people's attention to what they were doing against your son. I've found myself in that same situation many times. It's frustrating when given 2 different opinions/suggestions for changing things. hopefully they realize they are ones creating problems for your son. God Bless.

Tom (AS since age 1 by TBI during MMR vaccine)

From: Candy <dclecrouch@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Thu, September 9, 2010 9:44:53 PMSubject: Re: Help

My son Logan was the same way when he was little, he is 15 now, we still have problems, some are the same, some are different. I fought the school, for years, literally, until they finally put him in the special ed day class-all day long in the fourth grade. First they tested him and said that his scores were high, so he didnt belong in special ed. Well, the teachers kept telling me that he just wasnt functioning in the classroom-not paying attention, pacing around, and disturbing others. This went on for years. Finally I got them to call an IEP metting-Individualized Education Plan meeting, I requested his doctors, special ed administrators, the principal, past teachers, sunday school teachers and anybody else I could think of, there was like 20 people there. The principal kept saying he didnt belong in the special ed day class, that he wouldnt fit in there. Finally I asked him, "Then where does he fit in, the other teachers say he dosent fit in with

the regular class, and you say he dosent fit in with special ed, so exactly where does he fit in". Everyone just sat there and looked at each other. I asked cant you just try it like part time and see what happens, well about a month later, they called me and said he ws doing so well that they were going to put him in there full time, i was glad and upset, because if they would have listened to me on the first place maybe he wouldnt be so far behind even now. You have to instist they do something. Call them everyday until they do something.

Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)

Recent Activity:

New Members 16

New Links 2

Visit Your Group

MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Toolbar now.

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.

Hobbies & Activities Zone: Find others who share your passions! Explore new interests.

Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of

Use

Guest guest

Dear Kim,

You have my sympathies. Life is hard enough without a make-wrong teacher.

Since You are at home, You might want to take a look at the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential website www.IAHP.org

These people really know how to get kids better, and they totally respect parents.

In the 'old days' when autism and other like problems were 1 in 10,000, and there was no help that was useful from outside till speaking and beginning the IAHP patterning program. It was a miracle.

Super busy as You are, it might be worth it for your son to speak to them.

We all deserve miracles.

Sincerely,

Francine

Speak with Him Thou for He hearest.

Spirit with Spirit can speak.

Closer is Love than breathing,

Nearer than hands and feet.

(with appreciation for Tennyson)

Re: Help

My son Logan was the same way when he was little, he is 15 now, we still have problems, some are the same, some are different. I fought the school, for years, literally, until they finally put him in the special ed day class-all day long in the fourth grade. First they tested him and said that his scores were high, so he didnt belong in special ed. Well, the teachers kept telling me that he just wasnt functioning in the classroom-not paying attention, pacing around, and disturbing others. This went on for years. Finally I got them to call an IEP metting-Individualized Education Plan meeting, I requested his doctors, special ed administrators, the principal, past teachers, sunday school teachers and anybody else I could think of, there was like 20 people there. The principal kept saying he didnt belong in the special ed day class, that he wouldnt fit in there. Finally I asked him, "Then where does he fit in, the other teachers say he dosent fit in with the regula r class, and you say he dosent fit in with special ed, so exactly where does he fit in". Everyone just sat there and looked at each other. I asked cant you just try it like part time and see what happens, well about a month later, they called me and said he ws doing so well that they were going to put him in there full time, i was glad and upset, because if they would have listened to me on the first place maybe he wouldnt be so far behind even now. You have to instist they do something. Call them everyday until they do something.

>

> I'm struggling with my 4 year old's early childhood special education

> teacher. I'm sure you all have been there and can lend some advice.

> First a little history about Garett.

>

> Garett was in early intervention at 18 months, first because of mild

> language delays we chalked up to recurrent ear infections, then because

> of sensory integration difficulties and adaptive and fine motor delays.

> When we moved to a different state when he was 28 months, he was no

> longer eligible for school services because of differing eligility

> criteria. It was a two hour drive to private services with pediatric

> experience, and the school said he was fine, so we didn't pursue it. At

> his 3 year check up the doctor recommended he have his hearing checked

> because of speech intelligibility issues We did and the results are

> automatically sent to the school (his hearing is normal if he doesn't

> have an ear infection). The speech therapist tested him for services

> and he was not delayed enough to meet eligibility criteria and she gave

> us things to work on at home. When she followed up three months later

> he had not made any progress so she started the school evaluation

> process again. Meanwhile we had enrolled Garett in a preschool with a

> special class for three year olds. He tuned out, would not listen,

> would not interact, would run away from the teachers, have toileting

> accidents, etc. 95 % of the time. We pulled him after 6 weeks. The

> school evaluations showed he qualified for services because of delayed

> fine motor, adaptive, and personal social skills. He was in services

> for four weeks before school dismissed for the summer Because he had

> only been in services for four weeks, he did not qualify to receive

> summer services as they could not prove he would regress more than other

> kids. (The qualifying criteria for ESY make no sense at all) Because

> of his delays, Garett became eligible to receive respite care from

> another program. The coordinator of that program observed him in his

> ECSE classroom and called me with concerns that Garett had an autism

> spectrum disorder. This led to us seeing a pediatric specialist last

> summer and his diagnosis with PDD.

>

> Anyway, Garett now attends ECSE (Early Childhood Special Education) four

> mornings a week, where he is one of three to four children with special

> needs of varying degrees with one special education teacher, two special

> ed aides and the speech therapist and occupational therapist at

> different times. Since I quit working after our third child was born,

> he stays two afternoons a week for a school sponsored preschool that

> meets in the special ed class room to provide opportunities for those

> kids in the special ed class to interact with typically developing

> kids. The ratio is still 4 to 5 adults with 12 kids. Needless to say,

> the environment is very structured, very controlled and Garett is

> hovered over every minute. In this setting, his teacher says she has no

> problems with his behavior. I believe her. When I have him one on one,

> I have few problems. The thing is, life is not one on one.

>

> Far from it. We have a 10 year old with ADHD and a baby who is a

> preemie with respiratory problems. For a week I would like to switch

> places with his teacher and she can try to maintain that strict control

> while trying to meet the needs of two other children with special needs,

> and cook supper, do laundry, supervise homework, pay bills....you know

> all those things that go along with running a household.

>

> Last week, my husband took Garett to his parent/child group because I

> was in the hospital with the baby (he had severe croup). The last part

> of the time is spent with the parents meeting in a different room. When

> my husband returned to the room where the kids were, Garett was

> missing. He was found, he does these things, I've learned to live with

> it. The leader of this group and his special ed teacher co-teach the

> preschool he is in the two afternoons. The special ed teacher found out

> about Garett's great escape. She confronted my husband about it when he

> took him to school this morning "Why do you guys have so many problems

> with him? I never do here", insinuating that it was my husband's fault

> when he was not even in the room. This is not the first time she has

> done this. Garett is eligible for respite and PCA services but has to

> have a behavior plan in place so his caregivers know how to handle it

> when behaviors occur. When I called to include her in the meeting she

> wondered why we were doing that...she didn't have any problems when he's

> at school. She has also questioned his diagnosis on several occasions.

>

> What do we do? Obviously he needs special ed because he cannot function

> in a regular preschool. Because we are so rural and in a small district

> this is the only option for services that we have. I am so frustrated

> with her and I don't know how to approach her about it without

> jeopardizing the relationship we need to have because she is Garett's

> teacher.

>

Guest guest

wdnt u remove that nstrument and pick another sterilized one.also change gloves.is it jst me or r most of these qs quite vague?From: Rumana am <rumana.maryam@...> Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 6:43:38 PMSubject: help

A patient with no positive history came along for scaling. The moment you pick

up the scaler you punch your finger, what should you do?

A. Complete the procedure as nothing has happened

B. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb

C. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg

D. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb and HIV antigen HIVAg

E. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg and HIV antibody HIVAb

F. Dentist should go and take a HBsAb vaccine

Guest guest

i think its EFrom: Neelam Raza <neelamraza@...> Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 10:58:22 PMSubject: Re: help

wdnt u remove that nstrument and pick another sterilized one.also change gloves.is it jst me or r most of these qs quite vague?From: Rumana am <rumana.maryam@...> Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 6:43:38 PMSubject: help

A patient with no positive history came along for scaling. The moment you pick

up the scaler you punch your finger, what should you do?

A. Complete the procedure as nothing has happened

B. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb

C. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg

D. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb and HIV antigen HIVAg

E. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg and HIV antibody HIVAb

F. Dentist should go and take a HBsAb vaccine

Guest guest

this question looks tricky not able to know if scaler is used on patient or not

..i think even if its not used it is exposed wit patients other instruments so

next step is to take hbs antibody vaccine by dentist since he has pricked

exposed instrument . . Wat do u say

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:04 IST Aqsa Fatima Burki wrote:

>i think its E

>

>

>

>________________________________

>From: Neelam Raza <neelamraza@...>

>

>Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 10:58:22 PM

>Subject: Re: help

>

>

>wdnt u remove that nstrument and pick another sterilized one.also change

gloves.

>is it jst me or r most of these qs quite vague?

>

>

>

>From: Rumana am <rumana.maryam@...>

>

>Sent: Tue, January 4, 2011 6:43:38 PM

>Subject: help

>

>

>A patient with no positive history came along for scaling. The moment you pick

>up the scaler you punch your finger, what should you do?

>

>A. Complete the procedure as nothing has happened

>B. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb

>C. Check patient’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg

>D. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antibody HBsAb and HIV antigen HIVAg

>E. Check dentist’s blood for Hepatitis B antigen HBsAg and HIV antibody HIVAb

>F. Dentist should go and take a HBsAb vaccine

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

wat if dentist is already immune to hep bFrom: Rumana am <rumana.maryam@...> Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 1:45:26 PMSubject: Re: help

this question looks tricky not able to know if scaler is used on patient or not .i think even if its not used it is exposed wit patients other instruments so next step is to take hbs antibody vaccine by dentist since he has pricked exposed instrument . . Wat do u say

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:04 IST Aqsa Fatima Burki wrote:

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>wdnt u remove that nstrument and pick another sterilized one.also change gloves.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Normally if dentist had a booster or vaccination in last 12 months then there is no need of any vaccination.But if he had no booster or vaccination in last 12 months then he should have his antibodies level checked & if level is low then he should have a new vaccination not otherwise.

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>wdnt u remove that nstrument and pick another sterilized one.also change gloves.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

The Q doesn't tell the dentist touch the patient nor any treatment Bern done on patient. My answer will be change scaler ( which should ideally be sterilized) and put new gloves then proceed.Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Adnan Ashraf <adnanashraf2401@...> wrote:

Normally if dentist had a booster or vaccination in last 12 months then there is no need of any vaccination.But if he had no booster or vaccination in last 12 months then he should have his antibodies level checked & if level is low then he should have a new vaccination not otherwise.

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

yeah bt thats nt in the options c wat i mean abt vague qsFrom: "hassanalmufty@..." <hassanalmufty@...>" " < >Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 7:06:50 PMSubject: Re: help

The Q doesn't tell the dentist touch the patient nor any treatment Bern done on patient. My answer will be change scaler ( which should ideally be sterilized) and put new gloves then proceed.Sent from my iPhoneOn Jan 5, 2011, at 5:27 PM, Adnan Ashraf <adnanashraf2401@...> wrote:

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

a dentist should first inquire with the patient abt his hepatitis cover and go over the related history and then get his antibody check.if they are greater than 100IU/L or btw 10-100IU/L and vaccination was done less than 2 years ago then he is safe but if he has his titre btw 10-100IU/L and vaccination was done more than 2 years ago then he is not fully protected and should get a booster dose of HBV and if he fails to reach 10IU/L then he has to get a booster dose of HBV and HBIG.From:

Adnan Ashraf <adnanashraf2401@...> Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 5:27:04 PMSubject: Re: help

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

even when the scaler was not used on patient in the first place there are chances of cross infection from dentist to patient so its must to either change the instrument which we can all see is not an option in the answers given and given we have to select the answer from options i would go with E.From: "hassanalmufty@..." <hassanalmufty@...>" "

< >Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 7:06:50 PMSubject: Re: help

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

lets face it guys most of the questions we get will be from examiner's point of view so even if they are vague you cant just skip the question saying options are vague so considering this was in the exam why not pick the most suitable one and get it done with.My best option is E. thanksAqsaFrom: Neelam Raza <neelamraza@...> Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 7:51:40 PMSubject: Re: help

yeah bt thats nt in the options c wat i mean abt vague qsFrom: "hassanalmufty@..." <hassanalmufty@...>" " < >Sent: Wed, January 5, 2011 7:06:50 PMSubject: Re: help

>i think its E

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>