RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question

Rate this topic

Guest guest

thanx, MB

Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 3:10 PM

Jim,

My experience with using mechanical suction is limited to patients with a tracheostomy. Using this type of suction in your case would probably not be terribly appropriate. You would need to bring mucus up to a certain point to have it be suctioned or you're correct what you end up doing is as invasive as a bronchoscopy.

Are you running a fever? The negative sputum culture from 48 hours ago is excellent but don't let things go too long without being checked again. Hopefully you're at the end of a virus. Keep up the NAC and lots of water. Keep that mucus as thin as possible and keep us posted!

Beth in North Carolina

Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08

From: james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:36:24 PMSubject: question

this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Thanks Margaret, got some mucinex coming. Clear and cold........minus 5. later...later, i'm back to coughing

Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

Hi Jim,

Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase.

I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on children. I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods today? Has the volcano ash ever blown your way? It is 19 degrees and snowing right now here. Hope you feel better and this truly was the last of it for now.

Margaret

From: james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PMSubject: question

this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Jim I just remembered, when I took my PFT's a week or so ago I was coughing my head off and The tech ask if I had ever tried sipping hot water... I tried it and it did help some.. maybe give it a try.Wouldn't that be something if WATER helps... Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Thanks Margaret, got some mucinex coming. Clear and cold........minus 5. later...later, i'm back to coughing--- On Fri, 1/30/09, Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com> wrote:From: Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PMHi Jim,  Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase. I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on children. I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass! What is the weather like in your neck of the woods today? Has the volcano ash ever blown your way? It is 19 degrees and snowing right now here. Hope you feel better and this truly was the last of it for now. Margaret      From: james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PMSubject:  questionthis is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms. Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!! jim IPF 05alaska

Guest guest

Jim...I can't answer any of your questions but I can let you know I've read your post and I have been concerned about you since you had your last work up and had to increase O2...

Sorry you are having this problem. I do hope you sleep well tonight and tomorrow will bring some relief.

You are in my prayers.

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

question

this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice.........mucus........is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference.......Thank you!!!!

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

My ex has one of those vests too, he is on a ventilator with his ALS

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

Jim,

My experience with using mechanical suction is limited to patients with a tracheostomy. Using this type of suction in your case would probably not be terribly appropriate. You would need to bring mucus up to a certain point to have it be suctioned or you're correct what you end up doing is as invasive as a bronchoscopy.

Are you running a fever? The negative sputum culture from 48 hours ago is excellent but don't let things go too long without being checked again. Hopefully you're at the end of a virus. Keep up the NAC and lots of water. Keep that mucus as thin as possible and keep us posted!

Beth in North Carolina

From: james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:36:24 PMSubject: question

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Peggy/Jim ... remember "the good old days" when tea and honey were used for a cough? Now wouldn't that be something if the old remedies still work!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR. NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

� question

this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics.�I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

hot water sounds like a great idea -- cold water makes me cough

Pink Joyce IPF 3/06 Pennsylvania

Donate Life

From: Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 @yahoo.com>Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

Hi Jim,

Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase.

I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on children. I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods today? Has the volcano ash ever blown your way? It is 19 degrees and snowing right now here. Hope you feel better and this truly was the last of it for now.

Margaret

From: james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent: Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PMSubject: question

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

thanks alot, Sher.....I gotta tell ya......there are times......when I wonder how long can I do this......

Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 4:29 PM

Jim...I can't answer any of your questions but I can let you know I've read your post and I have been concerned about you since you had your last work up and had to increase O2...

Sorry you are having this problem. I do hope you sleep well tonight and tomorrow will bring some relief.

You are in my prayers.

question

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

i'll try anything

From: Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 @yahoo.com>Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

Hi Jim,

Margaret

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

I do drink hoe tea when my throat is bothering me. with honey I might add. ;) Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  Peggy/Jim ... remember "the good old days" when tea and honey were used for a cough? Now wouldn't that be something if the old remedies still work!MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR.   NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!� questionthis is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics.�I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.�Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!�jim IPF 05alaska

Guest guest

Thats HOT tea.. lol Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."  I do drink hoe tea when my throat is bothering me. with honey I might add. ;) Love & Prayers, PeggyFlorida,  IPF/UIP 2004"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." <pastedGraphic.tiff> Peggy/Jim ... remember "the good old days" when tea and honey were used for a cough? Now wouldn't that be something if the old remedies still work!MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR.   NasturtiumsDon't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!� questionthis is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics.�I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.�Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!�jim IPF 05alaska

Guest guest

I was afraid to ask what "hoe tea" is.

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 9:23:42 PMSubject: Re: questionThats HOT tea.. lol

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

I do drink hoe tea when my throat is bothering me. with honey I might add. ;)

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet,

when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly."

<pastedGraphic.tiff>

Peggy/Jim ... remember "the good old days" when tea and honey were used for a cough? Now wouldn't that be something if the old remedies still work!

�

question

this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics.�I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Jim...I understand and I think those feelings do over take us. Take it one day at a time Bud. Keep breathing in and breathing out. The darn coughing is exhausting...

question

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Uhhhhh Peggy, what's hoe tea???

Do you HOT tea??? lol

� question

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Peggy, Jim, Sher...The old stuff..tea and

honey..

work better for my cough than Robitussin, Musinex and other OTC

medications.

I've even just taken a teaspoon of honey straight up and it really is

soothing!

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 65,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Minor-periwinkle is my flower

Sher Bauman wrote:

Peggy/Jim

.... remember "the good old days" when tea and honey were used for a

cough? Now wouldn't that be something if the old remedies still work!

MamaSher, age 70. IPF 3-06, OR.

Nasturtiums

Don't fret about tomorrow, God is already there!

-----

Original Message -----

Peggy

To:

Breathe-Support

Sent:

Friday, January 30, 2009 5:27 PM

Subject:

Re: question

Jim I just remembered, when I took my PFT's a week or so ago I was

coughing my head off and�

The tech ask if I had ever tried sipping hot water... I tried

it and it did help some.. maybe give it a try.

Wouldn't that be something if WATER helps...

Love & Prayers, Peggy

Florida, �IPF/UIP 2004

"I believe that friends are quiet angels�who lift us to our

feet,�

when our wings�have trouble remembering how to fly."�

Thanks Margaret, got some mucinex coming.

Clear and cold........minus 5. later...later, i'm back to coughing

--- On�Fri, 1/30/09,

Margaret McConnell�<margaretmcconnell64 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>�wrote:

Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>

Subject: Re: question

To: Breathe-Support

Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

Hi Jim,

�Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I

have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I

looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said

that I could try OTC�Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask

about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had

a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase.

I have never heard of your medication so don't know

what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with

mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two

children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical

suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help

with but I have only seen it done on children.�I used to wheeze really

badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to

lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the

shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids

to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

What is the weather like in your neck of the woods

today? Has the volcano ash ever blown your way? It is 19 degrees and

snowing right now here. Hope you feel better and this truly was the

last of it for now.

Margaret

��

yahoo.com>

To:�Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

Sent:�Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24

PM

Subject:� question

this is one of those subjects that is rather

unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice.

.........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep

coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This

condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3

times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of

difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be

seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a

sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me

antibiotics.�I think this is associated with a virus going around

though I have no other symptoms.

Question: has anyone heard of or experienced

mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with

the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds

like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my

head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future

reference... ....Thank you!!!!

jim IPF 05

alaska

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1925 - Release Date: 1/30/2009 7:37 AM

Guest guest

Just a spoonful of honey helps the medicine go down....lol

> >

> > From: Margaret McConnell margaretmcconnell64@...

> > Subject: Re: question

> > To: Breathe-Support

> > Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

> >

> > Hi Jim,

> > ?

> > ?Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been

> > experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I

> > looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my

doc

> > said that I could try OTC?Musinex; could you just call your

> > doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you,

without

> > charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a

> > little increase.

> > ?

> > I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it

is

> > for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with

mucous.

> > One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two

> > children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the

> > mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife

> > would have to help with but I have only seen it done on

> > children.?I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or

> > cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my

stomach

> > and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder

> > blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF

kids

> > to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

> > ?

> > What is the weather like in your neck of the woods today?

Has

> > the volcano ash ever blown your way? It is 19 degrees and

> > snowing right now here. Hope you feel better and this truly

> > was the last of it for now.

> > ?

> > Margaret

> > ?

> > ?

> > ?

> > ?

> > ??

> >

> >

------------------------------------------------------------------------

> > *From:*?james wallman

> > *To:*?Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

> > *Sent:*?Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PM

> > *Subject:*? question

> >

> > this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and

so

> > is not talked about much, but I need info/advice.

> > ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough

it

> > up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like

> > passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I

use

> > liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water.

> > (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at

> > the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think

> > that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum

> > sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me

> > antibiotics.?I think this is associated with a virus going

> > around though I have no other symptoms.

> > ?

> > Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical

> > suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with

> > the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they

do?

> > Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too

pleasant

> > pictures in my head........ I think todays session is

winding

> > down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!

> > ?

> > jim IPF 05

> > alaska

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

------------------------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com

> > Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1925 - Release Date:

1/30/2009 7:37 AM

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Add a little whiskey and some lemon, and I'm there!

B

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 08

Beautiful Western NC

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Hi Jim,

�

�Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC�Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase.

�

I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on children.�I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

�

�

Margaret

�

�

�

�

��

From:�james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To:�Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent:�Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PMSubject:� question

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Barbara, When I was really sick as an

older kid, the tea had lemon , honey and even whiskey

especially if I had a high fever. My Mom said that it was her family's

version of a hot toddie!

It made me feel better..I think it probably knocked me out too!!!

Oh for something as simple to knock out this disease now!!!

I still drink the tea with honey and lemon...but no whiskey...it really

makes me sick now.

All my medications have warnings about not having alcohol...it really

does a number on me now!!!

Z fibriotic NSIP/05

Z 65,

fibriotic NSIP/o5/PA

And “mild”

PH/10/07 and Reynaud’s too!!

No, NSIP was not

self-inflicted…I never smoked!

Potter,

reader,carousel lover and MomMom to

Darah

and Sara

“I’m gonna

be iron like a lion in Zion” Bob Marley

Vinca

Minor-periwinkle is my flower

Barbara McD wrote:

Add a little whiskey and some lemon, and I'm there!

B

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 08

Beautiful

Western NC

Let us

not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a

harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Margaret McConnell <margaretmcconnell64 @yahoo.com>

Subject: Re: question

To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com

Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 2:48 PM

Hi Jim,

�Good to be

talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our

Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was

feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC�Musinex;

could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe

for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have

a little increase.

I have never

heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot

of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that

works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know

they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your

wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on

children.�I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up

much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my

daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good

and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would

be nice for this virus to pass!

What is the

weather like in your neck of the woods today? Has the volcano ash ever

blown your way? It is 19 degrees and snowing right now here. Hope you

feel better and this truly was the last of it for now.

Margaret

��

wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>

To:�Breathe-Support@

yahoogroups. com

Sent:�Friday,

January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PM

Subject:�

question

this is one

of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about

much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy.

When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very

weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some

time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of

water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the

hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of

time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they

found no reason to give me antibiotics.�I think this is associated with

a virus going around though I have no other symptoms.

Question:

has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term

on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago.

Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some

not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is

winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!

jim IPF 05

alaska

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg.com Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1925 - Release Date: 1/30/2009 7:37 AM

Guest guest

Jim, I have asthma that cause mucous and sinus trouble. I have a small device called a flutter that you exhale and a steel ball flutters and brings up the mucous. You can feel your chest flutter. I just got it online and can't believe how well it works. My doctors nurse told me about it and it shakes the mucous loose and your not takinging a drug which has side effects.I sit and use it while on the computer and it works forme but everyone is different, asthma causes mucous so iam happy and its doctor approved. Hope this might help if your doctor okays it.

From: Beth <mbmurtha (AT) yahoo (DOT) com>Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comDate: Friday, January 30, 2009, 3:10 PM

Jim,

Beth in North Carolina

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Hi Margaret, Have you heard of the flutter. I just emailed Jim about it , but its a small device that looks like a pipe and you can't inhale through it but you exhale and you can feel it flutter in your chest and cough and it truly brings up mucous which with my asthma mucous happens to be a problem. My doctors nurse told me about it and I am glad she did. sharon p asthma ph2008

Subject: Re: questionTo: Breathe-Support Date: Friday, January 30, 2009, 5:48 PM

Hi Jim,

Margaret

jim IPF 05

alaska

Guest guest

Jim,

A few years ago I had a trach. I truly hated the suctioning that I went through, but it was all coughed out by me. When they took it out,, I was worried about what I would do now. The RT told me that I would just cough it out of my mouth or blow it out my nose.

Now I try to keep everything coughed up & out or blown out of my nose. Since my sinuses give me fits, I use the Neti Pot & Mucinex D. For my lungs, I use my neubulizer and that helps to keep it out of the lungs. I take NAC 3x per day, too.

Speaking of the neubulizer, Eddie & I are in the HIP Trial at Emory. We use the neubulizer with saline water to cough up a specimen. The nurse allows us 30 minutes to do this. As soon as I start using the neubulizer, I am coughing up lots of mucus to put in the jar. My hubby is sitting acrosss the room from me, neubulizing, and he is not coughing. ( He doesn't have IPF). I cough up the required amount of mucsu in about 10 minutes and my hubby is still not coughing, After 30 minutes the nurse tells him that he can stop. Five minutes later, he coughed. I think this proves that we have lots of mucus to get out even if we are not sick, as I wasn't sick on that particular day. Now when I am sick, I work hard at keeping it out.

Toodles!

Jane UIP/IPF 12/1998 Dalton, Georgia aka pianolady_musicgirl

>> Jim,> My experience with using mechanical suction is limited to patients with a tracheostomy. Using this type of suction in your case would probably not be terribly appropriate. You would need to bring mucus up to a certain point to have it be suctioned or you're correct what you end up doing is as invasive as a bronchoscopy.> Are you running a fever? The negative sputum culture from 48 hours ago is excellent but don't let things go too long without being checked again. Hopefully you're at the end of a virus. Keep up the NAC and lots of water. Keep that mucus as thin as possible and keep us posted!> > Beth in North Carolina> Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> > > > > ________________________________> To: Breathe-Support > Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:36:24 PM> Subject: question> > > this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms. > > Question: has anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!> > jim IPF 05> alaska>

Guest guest

: This was a childhood remedy for me too. It sort of compensated for the Vicks-covered chest and the Vicks-spewing vaporizer. Currently, I have a upper resiratory infection of some kind, so just the other night, I drank two "toddies". Brings back old memories.

B

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 08

Beautiful Western NC

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9

Hi Jim,

�

�Good to be talking to a fellow Alaskan. I think I have been experiencing our Alaska virus for a week or so; that's why I looked up this site, I was feeling so crummy. Last week my doc said that I could try OTC�Musinex; could you just call your doc and ask about trying that, if it is safe for you, without charge? I haven't had a bad mucous problem but do have a little increase.

�

I have never heard of your medication so don't know what it is for. I do know a lot of water is supposed to help with mucous. One of the med tecs that works in my doc's office has two children with cystic fibrosis. I know they use the the mechanical suction. I think it might be something your wife would have to help with but I have only seen it done on children.�I used to wheeze really badly but didn't cough or cough up much. What really helped me was to lie on my stomach and have my daughter pat my back right between the shoulder blades. It felt good and I know they do that with the CF kids to loosen up stuff. It would be nice for this virus to pass!

�

�

Margaret

�

�

�

�

��

From:�james wallman <james_wallman@ yahoo.com>To:�Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. comSent:�Friday, January 30, 2009 1:36:24 PMSubject:� question

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1925 - Release Date: 1/30/2009 7:37 AM

Guest guest

: This was a childhood remedy for me too. It sort of compensated for the Vicks-covered chest and the Vicks-spewing vaporizer. Currently, I have a upper resiratory infection of some kind, so just the other night, I drank two "toddies". Brings back old memories.

B

Barbara McD

IPF, Sept 08

Beautiful Western NC

Hi Jim,

�

�

�

�

Margaret

�

�

�

�

��

�

�

jim IPF 05

alaska

Checked by AVG - http://www.avg. com Version: 8.0.233 / Virus Database: 270.10.16/1925 - Release Date: 1/30/2009 7:37 AM

Guest guest

Jane,

That is absolutely fascinating. We don't usually get a side by side comparison with a non pulmonary fibrosis person for any of our tests. I agree it's a good reminder that we all have to be more aware of having 'crap' in our chests that needs to come up and out. I cough stuff up every day, it's almost always clear but it's in there and I'd rather have it out!

I can't wait to see you and in Florida!!

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:09:37 AMSubject: Re: question

Jim,

A few years ago I had a trach. I truly hated the suctioning that I went through, but it was all coughed out by me. When they took it out,, I was worried about what I would do now. The RT told me that I would just cough it out of my mouth or blow it out my nose.

Now I try to keep everything coughed up & out or blown out of my nose. Since my sinuses give me fits, I use the Neti Pot & Mucinex D. For my lungs, I use my neubulizer and that helps to keep it out of the lungs. I take NAC 3x per day, too.

Speaking of the neubulizer, Eddie & I are in the HIP Trial at Emory. We use the neubulizer with saline water to cough up a specimen. The nurse allows us 30 minutes to do this. As soon as I start using the neubulizer, I am coughing up lots of mucus to put in the jar. My hubby is sitting acrosss the room from me, neubulizing, and he is not coughing. ( He doesn't have IPF). I cough up the required amount of mucsu in about 10 minutes and my hubby is still not coughing, After 30 minutes the nurse tells him that he can stop. Five minutes later, he coughed. I think this proves that we have lots of mucus to get out even if we are not sick, as I wasn't sick on that particular day. Now when I am sick, I work hard at keeping it out.

Toodles!

>> Jim,> My experience with using mechanical suction is limited to patients with a tracheostomy. Using this type of suction in your case would probably not be terribly appropriate. You would need to bring mucus up to a certain point to have it be suctioned or you're correct what you end up doing is as invasive as a bronchoscopy.> Are you running a fever? The negative sputum culture from 48 hours ago is excellent but don't let things go too long without being checked again. Hopefully you're at the end of a virus. Keep up the NAC and lots of water. Keep that mucus as thin as possible and keep us posted!> > Beth in North Carolina> Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> > > > > ____________

_________ _________ __> From: james wallman james_wallman@ ...> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:36:24 PM> Subject: question> > > this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms. > > Question: has

anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!> > jim IPF 05> alaska>

Guest guest

Jane,

That is absolutely fascinating. We don't usually get a side by side comparison with a non pulmonary fibrosis person for any of our tests. I agree it's a good reminder that we all have to be more aware of having 'crap' in our chests that needs to come up and out. I cough stuff up every day, it's almost always clear but it's in there and I'd rather have it out!

I can't wait to see you and in Florida!!

Beth in North Carolina

To: Breathe-Support Sent: Saturday, January 31, 2009 10:09:37 AMSubject: Re: question

Jim,

Toodles!

>> Jim,> My experience with using mechanical suction is limited to patients with a tracheostomy. Using this type of suction in your case would probably not be terribly appropriate. You would need to bring mucus up to a certain point to have it be suctioned or you're correct what you end up doing is as invasive as a bronchoscopy.> Are you running a fever? The negative sputum culture from 48 hours ago is excellent but don't let things go too long without being checked again. Hopefully you're at the end of a virus. Keep up the NAC and lots of water. Keep that mucus as thin as possible and keep us posted!> > Beth in North Carolina> Moderator> Fibrotic NSIP 06/06 Dermatomyositis 11/08> > > > > ____________

_________ _________ __> From: james wallman james_wallman@ ...> To: Breathe-Support@ yahoogroups. com> Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 5:36:24 PM> Subject: question> > > this is one of those subjects that is rather unpleasant and so is not talked about much, but I need info/advice. ........mucus. .......is my worst enemy. When I can't cough it up, keep coughing, sats drop, very sob, very weak, feel like passing out. This condition hasn't hit me for some time. I use liquid acetylsysteine 3 times a day and drink lots of water. (I've found that makes alot of difference) My wife works at the hospital and thinks I should go be seen, and I think that's a waste of time....and lots of money. I did a sputum sample 2 days ago and they found no reason to give me antibiotics. I think this is associated with a virus going around though I have no other symptoms. > > Question: has

anyone heard of or experienced mechanical suction? I read that term on the fact sheet that comes with the acetylsysteine a long time ago. Is that something they do? Sounds like a bronch to me, conjures up some not too pleasant pictures in my head........ I think todays session is winding down. But for future reference... ....Thank you!!!!> > jim IPF 05> alaska>