RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: New to the group w/ questions

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Darlene, the rules might have changed. But 25 years ago my Father-inlaw had to go on SSDI. My inlaws owned there home outright & had there retirement investments. It didn't afect it at all. They kept there house & investment's. But it pays to talk with lawer. There has been a lot of changes in 25 years. Terry Darlene wrote:

Hello Thank you for the hcvadvocate.org website. Now I really know what I need to have for my application for SSDI. I also added severe depression and severe fatigue along with Chronic HCV. I documented I have three diseases that affects my ability to work. I believe and hope my doctor will submit a summary of the damaging emotional and physical changes I had since 05/1999. The other question I am worried about is losing my home. I own my home and if I collect SSI and medicaid I could lose my home. They wanted documentation of the County Appraisal Market Value of my house. I will have to call my friend (an atty) to discuss this issue for clarification. Please put me on your prayer list that I get accepted. Thank you for the information.

Hey There Darlene: Congratulations on applying for SS Disability. It is quite a large undertaking and can be quite a process. I too have SS Disability benefits because of the Bi-Polar Disorder but I am allowed to earn up to $780 dollars per month so this is why I can work part-time. I'm grateful to be able to handle it, although, I can't do the stressful work that I was able to in earlier years. The extra income sure is a great help. There is a website with HCV information that I found recently. It has an article by a benefits consultant on getting disability benefits. Maybe it would be helpful for you. http://www.hcvadvocate.org If you will search on "disability" the article will come up under "Getting Disability Benefits". I have also found the site itself to be a wealth of information. I particularly like the glossary. There are 800 terms that are defined and with being new to all this I find it to be helpful in nagivating all the terms that are thrown around. Good luck in your preparation and in the process for benefits. It sure sounds like it would be helpful to you. I'll keep you in my prayers for this as well as the treatment program.

Darlene <dcw915@...> wrote:

Hi I feel for you having to work two jobs. I finally applied for SS disability today over the phone. So now I am on a rush mission to get the requested documents to them with their forms completed. I pray I receive acceptence for the SSI and HCV treatment. That way I can physically and emotionally concentrate on the treatment. I hope it works so I can have a chance to get healthy again w/o depression etc.

M B wrote:

Darlene: Sorry to be taking so much time in responding but I have had a busy work schedule this week. I have two part time jobs that have me working 5 days this week. Usually I only work 4 so I haven't had much time. It's really awful that you had such a bad side effect to your treatment and are having ongoing complications. Hopefully the treatment for the complications that you are receiving now are going to improve the quality of your life and restore you to a better health. I guess that for right now I shouldn't be borrowing trouble from tomorrow that isn't happening today. I'm just going to focus on getting things back into balance now and then cross tomorrows bridges then (sounds good, right...hopefully I can do that!). My meds are getting more stable as the days go by and this is encouraging. The trouble with depression is it always tells you that it's always going to be like this and fortunately that is rarely the case. I do respond well to the medication so I am fortunate. So in the mean time I'll just keep trudging. Hope you improve daily and thanks. I appreciate you. Darlene <dcw915@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon I still have serve fatigue and depression from the treatment. I was going through menpause right before I started the treatment. I was a crazy women on menopause. I had panic attacks, fear, fatigue, the sweats. My doctor forgot about my menopause symptoms when they started the treatment. So my doctor believed my depression and fatigue was from the treatment. He did treat my depression and fatigue etc. while I continued with the treatment. After the treatment ended, the depression, fatigue, and mental confusion remains to this day and is being treated. I read; A patient who has depression and the HCV treatment is needed, they recommend that the patient's depression be stable and not suicidal. The HCV will increase the depression symptoms but as long as a doctor has your depression under control throughout the treatment, they can start the HCV treatment. They can always suspend the treatment if other problems arise. I had to have a blood transfusion 3 months into the treatment because my CBC dropped from 12 to 9. I was off the treatment for 2 weeks and then treatment was resumed. This is so funny what happend to me. When I was going through the third month of treatment. I started getting weak and dizzy when I stood up, my joints pain was worse and the fatigue was severe. I had to buy a cane just to walk at work and home. I slept the whole day on the weekends. I went for my monthly blood test. My doctor called me a few days later. He asked if I had been feeling weak ect. I stated yes and that I had to use a cane. He said it was because my red blood count dropped from 12 to 9 and that I did not have enough red blood cells to support my body functions. This never crossed my mind when it should have Duh!!! I heard is HCV negative post 3 months. This is absolutely wonderful news to hear. Darlene

M B wrote:

Darlene: Your concern is touching and you're right, I have been feeling like I can put this off because there is no apparent immediate danger. So, all of ya'll (a word I learned here in TX, lol) have convinced me that the liver biopsy is the thing to do. I do need to wait for a couple of months until my mental health medication on my new dose has had a chance to stabilize. I have been going through a bout of depression in the last couple of months. I know that part of this is because of finding out about the Hep C, but it is something I just have to deal with from time to time. If I am in active depression, the doctor says that they cannot treat me anyway. My mental health has to be stable for them to do any treatment. So, I'll just have to wait for a little while to get the biopsy and then we can go from there. Thank you for sharing your story and the information. It really has been helpful to know that putting this off for a long length of time could be really harmful to my chances of treatment success. Hanging In There, Darlene <dcw915@...> wrote:

Dear , The fear and delay of having your liver biopsy done will determine your percentage of recovery, if any. Get it done ASAP. This is a fatal disease just like Cancer if you catch it early you have a higher change of recovery. I delayed my liver biopsy for 2 years. My delay allowed the HCV to reach a fibrosis stage 3 before my treatment was started. The infusion therapy was not able to kill the HCV in my liver/body. The infusion therapy is the first therapy treatment "protocol" your physician will do. The infusion therapy is a 26-48-52 weeks treatment which consist of the following: A monthly supply the medications will be mailed to you. You will receive a twisting measurable injection interferon pen that lasts 2-4 weeks. You will also receive a supply of Ribavirin pills which is an anti-viral agent that enhances the success to kill the HCV. You will be required to give monthly blood tests to monitor the treatment. By 6 months, if your HCV level is still high, they will discontinue the treatment because the treatment failed. If your HCV level is at the proper low ranch, the treatment will be continued up to 52 weeks. In reality, the treatment is trying to kill the HCV without killing the patient. This is the same treatment Naomi Judd had to go through. They caught the Active HCV in it's first stage which the infusion treatment was able to kill the HCV. If the HCV does not return in 6 months you are considered cured. In Jan 2001 the Peg-Intron infusion therapy was approved to use in the USA. The clinical studies showed it to be 75% more effective in killing the HCV in patients that failed to respond to the infusion therapy. This treatment is my only hope at this time. From what I have read about the Peg-Intron therapy which about the same protocol but now the interferon has an agent that keeps the interferon longer in the body. This allows the interferon more time to kill more HCV. The treatment plan is: One injection a week given under the skin only. Rebetron pills will replace the other pills. You will be required to take these pills daily. HCV is a fatal disease with no definite cure. Once your liver reaches the the Cirrhosis stage it progresses to Cancer of the Liver. The only treatment available at this time is a liver transplant. You can read details information at http://hepatitis-central/hcv/treatment.html I hope this letter brings the reality that the HCV is a Very Serious Fatal Disease that needs to be treated asap just like cancer. Darlene

Guest guest

That's not the only way to get it, so if you ask me,

you could say your unsure how you got it. They think I

got it from one of the many times I stuck myself with

a sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was angry

at first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how we

get it. I quit my career because although the chance

is slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.

Plus there is an even better chance that someone would

sue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO way

to prove they did or did not get it that way, so if we

got a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just not

worth it.

Sharon

--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:

>

> Sharon ~~

> It's sad that you lost a friend through

> misunderstanding of how this disease is transmitted.

> I have told two friends, one who had hep C and has

> cleared the virus who was very understanding. The

> other's brother has the disease and because of that

> doesn't have any real fears. For this I am

> grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,

> along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm

> still taking my time on anyone else. I have

> considered that after the biopsy, if there is any

> type of liver damage, that then I would tell my

> family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to

> admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I

> presume this is how I contracted the disease.

> Thanks for listening,

> Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your

> time , when in doubt I wouldn't say

> anything. I had one " friend " who rushed out and got

> tested even though her dr. told her she didn't need

> to. A few months later she showed her true colors

> and

> we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the

> street) I also know another hepper who went to a

> friend's house and was served on paper plates

> everyone

> else got real dishes. I will say this disease has

> taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly

> thankful for them.

> Sharon

> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:

> >

> > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful.

> > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the thought

> of

> > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have to

> > worry about additional liver damage from that

> > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't

> > drink, I just tell them that I am already over

> quota

> > for this lifetime " , lol, lol. My two best friends

> > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating

> on

> > the others. Once it's told then you can't take it

> > back. You're right they'll probably be supportive

> I

> > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there.

> > Hope you have a great rest of the week and

> > week-end... Warm Regards,

> > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,

> > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way

> to

> > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State

> Police

> > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The

> cops

> > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and some

> of

> > them have some misconceptions -- that it's

> catching,

> > like the flu or something. I don't want to be

> > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I

> > don't want them finding the skeletons in my closet

> > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't hide

> it

> > from friends and family, and everybody has been

> > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your

> > family and their ability to come through for you.

> > Regards, Re:

> > [ ] New to the group w/

> questions

> >

> > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of wisdom

> > once again...I like it when your pc is cooperating

> > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly

> > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me

> only

> > telling my two best friends so far. I almost told

> > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I

> > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell the

> > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that

> yet.

> > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant

> > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've

> just

> > known for a little over 3 months and still have so

> > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and

> since

> > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period in

> > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this

> gives

> > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of

> > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal for

> > me. Thanks for Trudging Together,

> > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote:

> > , it's kind of ironic that many of the people

> > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were

> > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough

> not

> > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the stigma

> of

> > having it and about the confidentiality. He told

> me

> > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is

> not

> > the " dregs of society " (my words), but normal

> > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs

> and

> > just happened to do a little drug experimentation

> in

> > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,

> but

> > got it from other means, either transfusions,or

> > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure to

> > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years clean

> > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I

> think

> > that God was working there, because who knows how

> > much worse off I would have been if I had been

> still

> > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on

> > pretty good here too... By the way, while I would

> > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind, the

> > ultrasound is not without value, it would

> certainly

> > have show an enlargement of your liver which, I

> > believe, is one of the first signs of damage. Mine

> > was mildly inflamed (enlarged). -dz-

> > M B wrote:

> > Hello Darlene:

> > My name is and I'm rather new to the group

> > also. I have found everyone to be kind, fun,

> > informational and supportive. I too am from

> > California, Southern Cali -- Orange County to be

> > exact. There were a lot of us that played hard

> and

> > some of us got caught and some others didn't.

> > I came to Texas in 1990 to Arlington with my

> family

> > and then moved to Austin in 1992. I love it here

> in

> > Austin...it's more laid back than Dallas and the

> > live music is wonderful.

> > I was diagnosed recently with Hep C (April). So

> far

> > my liver enzymes are normal and my abdominal

> > ultrasound was normal too. There are no apparent

> > signs of liver damage. Everyone here has

> encouraged

> > me to do a liver biopsy, which the doc says is

> > optional at this point, and I probably will in a

> few

> > months.

> > I'm sure you'll find the some good support here

> that

> > I have.

> > Welcome.

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> >

Guest guest

Hello Terry

told me the same thing. I talked to my atty friend today. He confirmed they can not take one's only home, car and personal furnishings and clothing. I feel so relieved. Now I have a lot of paper work to gather. Thank you all for your help.

Terry Long wrote:

Darlene, the rules might have changed. But 25 years ago my Father-inlaw had to go on SSDI. My inlaws owned there home outright & had there retirement investments. It didn't afect it at all. They kept there house & investment's. But it pays to talk with lawer. There has been a lot of changes in 25 years. Terry Darlene wrote:

Hello Thank you for the hcvadvocate.org website. Now I really know what I need to have for my application for SSDI. I also added severe depression and severe fatigue along with Chronic HCV. I documented I have three diseases that affects my ability to work. I believe and hope my doctor will submit a summary of the damaging emotional and physical changes I had since 05/1999. The other question I am worried about is losing my home. I own my home and if I collect SSI and medicaid I could lose my home. They wanted documentation of the County Appraisal Market Value of my house. I will have to call my friend (an atty) to discuss this issue for clarification. Please put me on your prayer list that I get accepted. Thank you for the information.

Hey There Darlene: Congratulations on applying for SS Disability. It is quite a large undertaking and can be quite a process. I too have SS Disability benefits because of the Bi-Polar Disorder but I am allowed to earn up to $780 dollars per month so this is why I can work part-time. I'm grateful to be able to handle it, although, I can't do the stressful work that I was able to in earlier years. The extra income sure is a great help. There is a website with HCV information that I found recently. It has an article by a benefits consultant on getting disability benefits. Maybe it would be helpful for you. http://www.hcvadvocate.org If you will search on "disability" the article will come up under "Getting Disability Benefits". I have also found the site itself to be a wealth of information. I particularly like the glossary. There are 800 terms that are defined and with being new to all this I find it to be helpful in nagivating all the terms that are thrown around. Good luck in your preparation and in the process for benefits. It sure sounds like it would be helpful to you. I'll keep you in my prayers for this as well as the treatment program.

Hi I feel for you having to work two jobs. I finally applied for SS disability today over the phone. So now I am on a rush mission to get the requested documents to them with their forms completed. I pray I receive acceptence for the SSI and HCV treatment. That way I can physically and emotionally concentrate on the treatment. I hope it works so I can have a chance to get healthy again w/o depression etc.

M B wrote:

Darlene: Sorry to be taking so much time in responding but I have had a busy work schedule this week. I have two part time jobs that have me working 5 days this week. Usually I only work 4 so I haven't had much time. It's really awful that you had such a bad side effect to your treatment and are having ongoing complications. Hopefully the treatment for the complications that you are receiving now are going to improve the quality of your life and restore you to a better health. I guess that for right now I shouldn't be borrowing trouble from tomorrow that isn't happening today. I'm just going to focus on getting things back into balance now and then cross tomorrows bridges then (sounds good, right...hopefully I can do that!). My meds are getting more stable as the days go by and this is encouraging. The trouble with depression is it always tells you that it's always going to be like this and fortunately that is rarely the case. I do respond well to the medication so I am fortunate. So in the mean time I'll just keep trudging. Hope you improve daily and thanks. I appreciate you. Darlene <dcw915@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon I still have serve fatigue and depression from the treatment. I was going through menpause right before I started the treatment. I was a crazy women on menopause. I had panic attacks, fear, fatigue, the sweats. My doctor forgot about my menopause symptoms when they started the treatment. So my doctor believed my depression and fatigue was from the treatment. He did treat my depression and fatigue etc. while I continued with the treatment. After the treatment ended, the depression, fatigue, and mental confusion remains to this day and is being treated. I read; A patient who has depression and the HCV treatment is needed, they recommend that the patient's depression be stable and not suicidal. The HCV will increase the depression symptoms but as long as a doctor has your depression under control throughout the treatment, they can start the HCV treatment. They can always suspend the treatment if other problems arise. I had to have a blood transfusion 3 months into the treatment because my CBC dropped from 12 to 9. I was off the treatment for 2 weeks and then treatment was resumed. This is so funny what happend to me. When I was going through the third month of treatment. I started getting weak and dizzy when I stood up, my joints pain was worse and the fatigue was severe. I had to buy a cane just to walk at work and home. I slept the whole day on the weekends. I went for my monthly blood test. My doctor called me a few days later. He asked if I had been feeling weak ect. I stated yes and that I had to use a cane. He said it was because my red blood count dropped from 12 to 9 and that I did not have enough red blood cells to support my body functions. This never crossed my mind when it should have Duh!!! I heard is HCV negative post 3 months. This is absolutely wonderful news to hear. Darlene

M B wrote:

Darlene: Your concern is touching and you're right, I have been feeling like I can put this off because there is no apparent immediate danger. So, all of ya'll (a word I learned here in TX, lol) have convinced me that the liver biopsy is the thing to do. I do need to wait for a couple of months until my mental health medication on my new dose has had a chance to stabilize. I have been going through a bout of depression in the last couple of months. I know that part of this is because of finding out about the Hep C, but it is something I just have to deal with from time to time. If I am in active depression, the doctor says that they cannot treat me anyway. My mental health has to be stable for them to do any treatment. So, I'll just have to wait for a little while to get the biopsy and then we can go from there. Thank you for sharing your story and the information. It really has been helpful to know that putting this off for a long length of time could be really harmful to my chances of treatment success. Hanging In There, Darlene <dcw915@...> wrote:

Dear , The fear and delay of having your liver biopsy done will determine your percentage of recovery, if any. Get it done ASAP. This is a fatal disease just like Cancer if you catch it early you have a higher change of recovery. I delayed my liver biopsy for 2 years. My delay allowed the HCV to reach a fibrosis stage 3 before my treatment was started. The infusion therapy was not able to kill the HCV in my liver/body. The infusion therapy is the first therapy treatment "protocol" your physician will do. The infusion therapy is a 26-48-52 weeks treatment which consist of the following: A monthly supply the medications will be mailed to you. You will receive a twisting measurable injection interferon pen that lasts 2-4 weeks. You will also receive a supply of Ribavirin pills which is an anti-viral agent that enhances the success to kill the HCV. You will be required to give monthly blood tests to monitor the treatment. By 6 months, if your HCV level is still high, they will discontinue the treatment because the treatment failed. If your HCV level is at the proper low ranch, the treatment will be continued up to 52 weeks. In reality, the treatment is trying to kill the HCV without killing the patient. This is the same treatment Naomi Judd had to go through. They caught the Active HCV in it's first stage which the infusion treatment was able to kill the HCV. If the HCV does not return in 6 months you are considered cured. In Jan 2001 the Peg-Intron infusion therapy was approved to use in the USA. The clinical studies showed it to be 75% more effective in killing the HCV in patients that failed to respond to the infusion therapy. This treatment is my only hope at this time. From what I have read about the Peg-Intron therapy which about the same protocol but now the interferon has an agent that keeps the interferon longer in the body. This allows the interferon more time to kill more HCV. The treatment plan is: One injection a week given under the skin only. Rebetron pills will replace the other pills. You will be required to take these pills daily. HCV is a fatal disease with no definite cure. Once your liver reaches the the Cirrhosis stage it progresses to Cancer of the Liver. The only treatment available at this time is a liver transplant. You can read details information at http://hepatitis-central/hcv/treatment.html I hope this letter brings the reality that the HCV is a Very Serious Fatal Disease that needs to be treated asap just like cancer. Darlene

Guest guest

The disease can also be transmitted from snorting coke (or whatever) through the same straw or $100 bill as someone else who has it. I don't know too many people in my age group who haven't tried that at least once. I'm sure that many have not, yet many thousands have taken a "harmless" snort and maybe for them it was harmless, but many of us have been caught. I am not sure how I got mine. I have experimented with IV drugs and have snorted coke on numerous occassions. I told my dr. I told my minister as we had an "encounter" with God. They knew I was sick with hcv and he asked me as they were praying over me and I just told them, probably through drug abuse in my past. Certain people at work know that I have hcv, but I never volunteered how I got it and they haven't asked. -dz-

Sharon Zeis wrote:

That's not the only way to get it, so if you ask me,you could say your unsure how you got it. They think Igot it from one of the many times I stuck myself witha sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was angryat first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how weget it. I quit my career because although the chanceis slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.Plus there is an even better chance that someone wouldsue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO wayto prove they did or did not get it that way, so if wegot a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just notworth it. Sharon--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > Sharon ~~> It's sad that you lost a friend through> misunderstanding of how this disease is transmitted.> I have told two friends, one who had hep C and has> cleared the virus who was very understanding. The> other's brother has the disease and because of that> doesn't have any real fears. For this I am> grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,> along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm> still taking my time on anyone else. I have> considered that after the biopsy, if there is any> type of liver damage, that then I would tell my> family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to> admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I> presume this is how I contracted the disease.> Thanks for listening, > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your> time , when in doubt I wouldn't say> anything. I had one "friend" who rushed out and got> tested even though her dr. told her she didn't need> to. A few months later she showed her true colors> and> we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the> street) I also know another hepper who went to a> friend's house and was served on paper plates> everyone> else got real dishes. I will say this disease has> taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly> thankful for them.> Sharon> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful. > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the thought> of> > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have to> > worry about additional liver damage from that> > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't> > drink, I just tell them that I am already over> quota> > for this lifetime", lol, lol. My two best friends> > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating> on> > the others. Once it's told then you can't take it> > back. You're right they'll probably be supportive> I> > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there. > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and> > week-end... Warm Regards, > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,> > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way> to> > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State> Police> > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The> cops> > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and some> of> > them have some misconceptions -- that it's> catching,> > like the flu or something. I don't want to be> > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I> > don't want them finding the skeletons in my closet> > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't hide> it> > from friends and family, and everybody has been> > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your> > family and their ability to come through for you.> > Regards, Re:> > [ ] New to the group w/> questions> > > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of wisdom> > once again...I like it when your pc is cooperating> > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly> > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me> only> > telling my two best friends so far. I almost told> > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I> > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell the> > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that> yet. > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant> > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've> just> > known for a little over 3 months and still have so> > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and> since> > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period in> > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this> gives> > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of> > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal for> > me. Thanks for Trudging Together, > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote: > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the people> > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were> > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough> not> > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the stigma> of> > having it and about the confidentiality. He told> me> > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is> not> > the "dregs of society" (my words), but normal> > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs> and> > just happened to do a little drug experimentation> in> > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,> but> > got it from other means, either transfusions,or> > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure to> > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years clean> > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I> think> > that God was working there, because who knows how> > much worse off I would have been if I had been> still> > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on> > pretty good here too... By the way, while I would> > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind, the> > ultrasound is not without value, it would> certainly> > have show an enlargement of your liver which, I> > believe, is one of the first signs of damage. Mine> > was mildly inflamed (enlarged). -dz- > > M B wrote: > > Hello Darlene: > > My name is and I'm rather new to the group> > also. I have found everyone to be kind, fun,> > informational and supportive. I too am from> > California, Southern Cali -- Orange County to be> > exact. There were a lot of us that played hard> and> > some of us got caught and some others didn't. > > I came to Texas in 1990 to Arlington with my> family> > and then moved to Austin in 1992. I love it here> in> > Austin...it's more laid back than Dallas and the> > live music is wonderful. > > I was diagnosed recently with Hep C (April). So> far> > my liver enzymes are normal and my abdominal> > ultrasound was normal too. There are no apparent> > signs of liver damage. Everyone here has> encouraged> > me to do a liver biopsy, which the doc says is> > optional at this point, and I probably will in a> few> > months. > > I'm sure you'll find the some good support here> that> > I have. > > Welcome. > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> >

Guest guest

Your home and car and personal belongings cannot be touched. I believe you can have up to $5000 in savings as well. (I would double check that number). The caveat is that you have to be up to date(or at least able to get up to date) on your house payments, car payments, etc. I recall a friend of mine had to give up a second car. My wife is filing ssdi and my income doesn't stop her from doing that. I believe it prevents her from getting the supplemental benefits. -dz-

Darlene wrote:

Hello Terry told me the same thing. I talked to my atty friend today. He confirmed they can not take one's only home, car and personal furnishings and clothing. I feel so relieved. Now I have a lot of paper work to gather. Thank you all for your help. Terry Long wrote:

M B wrote:

M B wrote:

Guest guest

Sharon ~~

It's sad that you lost your career but I can understand why you would choose to do so. It would be hard to live with myself if I thought I gave this disease to someone else. Although the risk is low for sexual transmission (1% to 4%) with unprotected sex with multiple partners, being single I wonder if I'll ever have sex again. And at 44 that's not a pleasant thought. Of course if I did it would be with the other persons knowledge, condoms and an understanding person that took the time to understand about the risks. It just is confusing to know how to handle this situation. Of course, this is assuming that I'll EVER find someone again, lol (been single for 1 1/2 years).

And my family would ask directly about the IV use as they did to my brother and I couldn't lie to them. Oh well.

When you finish your treatment have you thought about what else you would like to do for work?

Take Care,

Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: That's not the only way to get it, so if you ask me,you could say your unsure how you got it. They think Igot it from one of the many times I stuck myself witha sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was angryat first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how weget it. I quit my career because although the chanceis slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.Plus there is an even better chance that someone wouldsue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO wayto prove they did or did not get it that way, so if wegot a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just notworth it. Sharon--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > Sharon ~~> It's sad that you lost a friend through> misunderstanding of how this disease is transmitted.> I have told two friends, one who had hep C and has> cleared the virus who was very understanding. The> other's brother has the disease and because of that> doesn't have any real fears. For this I am> grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,> along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm> still taking my time on anyone else. I have> considered that after the biopsy, if there is any> type of liver damage, that then I would tell my> family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to> admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I> presume this is how I contracted the disease.> Thanks for listening, > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your> time , when in doubt I wouldn't say> anything. I had one "friend" who rushed out and got> tested even though her dr. told her she didn't need> to. A few months later she showed her true colors> and> we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the> street) I also know another hepper who went to a> friend's house and was served on paper plates> everyone> else got real dishes. I will say this disease has> taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly> thankful for them.> Sharon> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful. > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the thought> of> > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have to> > worry about additional liver damage from that> > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't> > drink, I just tell them that I am already over> quota> > for this lifetime", lol, lol. My two best friends> > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating> on> > the others. Once it's told then you can't take it> > back. You're right they'll probably be supportive> I> > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there. > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and> > week-end... Warm Regards, > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,> > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way> to> > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State> Police> > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The> cops> > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and some> of> > them have some misconceptions -- that it's> catching,> > like the flu or something. I don't want to be> > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I> > don't want them finding the skeletons in my closet> > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't hide> it> > from friends and family, and everybody has been> > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your> > family and their ability to come through for you.> > Regards, Re:> > [ ] New to the group w/> questions> > > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of wisdom> > once again...I like it when your pc is cooperating> > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly> > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me> only> > telling my two best friends so far. I almost told> > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I> > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell the> > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that> yet. > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant> > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've> just> > known for a little over 3 months and still have so> > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and> since> > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period in> > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this> gives> > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of> > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal for> > me. Thanks for Trudging Together, > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote: > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the people> > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were> > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough> not> > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the stigma> of> > having it and about the confidentiality. He told> me> > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is> not> > the "dregs of society" (my words), but normal> > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs> and> > just happened to do a little drug experimentation> in> > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,> but> > got it from other means, either transfusions,or> > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure to> > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years clean> > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I> think> > that God was working there, because who knows how> > much worse off I would have been if I had been> still> > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on> > pretty good here too... By the way, while I would> > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind, the> > ultrasound is not without value, it would> certainly> > have show an enlargement of your liver which, I> > believe, is one of the first signs of damage. Mine> > was mildly inflamed (enlarged). -dz- > > M B wrote: > > Hello Darlene: > > My name is and I'm rather new to the group> > also. I have found everyone to be kind, fun,> > informational and supportive. I too am from> > California, Southern Cali -- Orange County to be> > exact. There were a lot of us that played hard> and> > some of us got caught and some others didn't. > > I came to Texas in 1990 to Arlington with my> family> > and then moved to Austin in 1992. I love it here> in> > Austin...it's more laid back than Dallas and the> > live music is wonderful. > > I was diagnosed recently with Hep C (April). So> far> > my liver enzymes are normal and my abdominal> > ultrasound was normal too. There are no apparent> > signs of liver damage. Everyone here has> encouraged> > me to do a liver biopsy, which the doc says is> > optional at this point, and I probably will in a> few> > months. > > I'm sure you'll find the some good support here> that> > I have. > > Welcome. > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> >

Guest guest

I know a girl who met her present husband through a

hepc support group. My husband doesn't care. He's got

this great attitude that if he gets it, he'll just get

treated. I know a LOT of heppers whose spouses don't

have it so I don't think it's a big problem. Although

you are right about having an understanding person to

be involved with. There are a lot of ignorant people

out there.

I have no idea what I'm going to do, but probably

dental office management.

Sharon

>

> Sharon ~~

> It's sad that you lost your career but I can

> understand why you would choose to do so. It would

> be hard to live with myself if I thought I gave this

> disease to someone else. Although the risk is low

> for sexual transmission (1% to 4%) with unprotected

> sex with multiple partners, being single I wonder if

> I'll ever have sex again. And at 44 that's not a

> pleasant thought. Of course if I did it would be

> with the other persons knowledge, condoms and an

> understanding person that took the time to

> understand about the risks. It just is confusing to

> know how to handle this situation. Of course, this

> is assuming that I'll EVER find someone again, lol

> (been single for 1 1/2 years).

> And my family would ask directly about the IV use as

> they did to my brother and I couldn't lie to them.

> Oh well.

> When you finish your treatment have you thought

> about what else you would like to do for work?

> Take Care,

> Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: That's not

> the only way to get it, so if you ask me,

> you could say your unsure how you got it. They think

> I

> got it from one of the many times I stuck myself

> with

> a sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was

> angry

> at first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how

> we

> get it. I quit my career because although the chance

> is slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.

> Plus there is an even better chance that someone

> would

> sue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO

> way

> to prove they did or did not get it that way, so if

> we

> got a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just

> not

> worth it.

> Sharon

> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:

> >

> > Sharon ~~

> > It's sad that you lost a friend through

> > misunderstanding of how this disease is

> transmitted.

> > I have told two friends, one who had hep C and

> has

> > cleared the virus who was very understanding. The

> > other's brother has the disease and because of

> that

> > doesn't have any real fears. For this I am

> > grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,

> > along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm

> > still taking my time on anyone else. I have

> > considered that after the biopsy, if there is any

> > type of liver damage, that then I would tell my

> > family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to

> > admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I

> > presume this is how I contracted the disease.

> > Thanks for listening,

> > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your

> > time , when in doubt I wouldn't say

> > anything. I had one " friend " who rushed out and

> got

> > tested even though her dr. told her she didn't

> need

> > to. A few months later she showed her true colors

> > and

> > we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the

> > street) I also know another hepper who went to a

> > friend's house and was served on paper plates

> > everyone

> > else got real dishes. I will say this disease has

> > taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly

> > thankful for them.

> > Sharon

> > --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:

> > >

> > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful.

> > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the

> thought

> > of

> > > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have

> to

> > > worry about additional liver damage from that

> > > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't

> > > drink, I just tell them that I am already over

> > quota

> > > for this lifetime " , lol, lol. My two best

> friends

> > > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating

> > on

> > > the others. Once it's told then you can't take

> it

> > > back. You're right they'll probably be

> supportive

> > I

> > > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there.

> > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and

> > > week-end... Warm Regards,

> > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,

> > > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way

> > to

> > > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State

> > Police

> > > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The

> > cops

> > > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and

> some

> > of

> > > them have some misconceptions -- that it's

> > catching,

> > > like the flu or something. I don't want to be

> > > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I

> > > don't want them finding the skeletons in my

> closet

> > > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't

> hide

> > it

> > > from friends and family, and everybody has been

> > > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your

> > > family and their ability to come through for

> you.

> > > Regards, Re:

> > > [ ] New to the group w/

> > questions

> > >

> > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of

> wisdom

> > > once again...I like it when your pc is

> cooperating

> > > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly

> > > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me

> > only

> > > telling my two best friends so far. I almost

> told

> > > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I

> > > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell

> the

> > > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that

> > yet.

> > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant

> > > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've

> > just

> > > known for a little over 3 months and still have

> so

> > > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and

> > since

> > > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period

> in

> > > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this

> > gives

> > > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of

> > > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal

> for

> > > me. Thanks for Trudging Together,

> > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote:

> > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the

> people

> > > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were

> > > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough

> > not

> > > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the

> stigma

> > of

> > > having it and about the confidentiality. He told

> > me

> > > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is

> > not

> > > the " dregs of society " (my words), but normal

> > > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs

> > and

> > > just happened to do a little drug

> experimentation

> > in

> > > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,

> > but

> > > got it from other means, either transfusions,or

> > > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure

> to

> > > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years

> clean

> > > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I

> > think

> > > that God was working there, because who knows

> how

> > > much worse off I would have been if I had been

> > still

> > > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on

> > > pretty good here too... By the way, while I

> would

> > > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind,

> the

>

=== message truncated ===

Guest guest

I found out about my Hep C a little over a year ago, Susy & I have been married for over 24 years. It will be 25 in March. She has been my biggest supporter through everything.I have faced the last 24 years.

Terry

Sharon Zeis wrote:

I know a girl who met her present husband through ahepc support group. My husband doesn't care. He's gotthis great attitude that if he gets it, he'll just gettreated. I know a LOT of heppers whose spouses don'thave it so I don't think it's a big problem. Althoughyou are right about having an understanding person tobe involved with. There are a lot of ignorant peopleout there.I have no idea what I'm going to do, but probablydental office management. Sharon--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > Sharon ~~> It's sad that you lost your career but I can> understand why you would choose to do so. It would> be hard to live with myself if I thought I gave this> disease to someone else. Although the risk is low> for sexual transmission (1% to 4%) with unprotected> sex with multiple partners, being single I wonder if> I'll ever have sex again. And at 44 that's not a> pleasant thought. Of course if I did it would be> with the other persons knowledge, condoms and an> understanding person that took the time to> understand about the risks. It just is confusing to> know how to handle this situation. Of course, this> is assuming that I'll EVER find someone again, lol> (been single for 1 1/2 years). > And my family would ask directly about the IV use as> they did to my brother and I couldn't lie to them. > Oh well.> When you finish your treatment have you thought> about what else you would like to do for work?> Take Care, > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: That's not> the only way to get it, so if you ask me,> you could say your unsure how you got it. They think> I> got it from one of the many times I stuck myself> with> a sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was> angry> at first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how> we> get it. I quit my career because although the chance> is slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.> Plus there is an even better chance that someone> would> sue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO> way> to prove they did or did not get it that way, so if> we> got a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just> not> worth it.> Sharon> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > Sharon ~~> > It's sad that you lost a friend through> > misunderstanding of how this disease is> transmitted.> > I have told two friends, one who had hep C and> has> > cleared the virus who was very understanding. The> > other's brother has the disease and because of> that> > doesn't have any real fears. For this I am> > grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,> > along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm> > still taking my time on anyone else. I have> > considered that after the biopsy, if there is any> > type of liver damage, that then I would tell my> > family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to> > admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I> > presume this is how I contracted the disease.> > Thanks for listening, > > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your> > time , when in doubt I wouldn't say> > anything. I had one "friend" who rushed out and> got> > tested even though her dr. told her she didn't> need> > to. A few months later she showed her true colors> > and> > we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the> > street) I also know another hepper who went to a> > friend's house and was served on paper plates> > everyone> > else got real dishes. I will say this disease has> > taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly> > thankful for them.> > Sharon> > --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful. > > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the> thought> > of> > > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have> to> > > worry about additional liver damage from that> > > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't> > > drink, I just tell them that I am already over> > quota> > > for this lifetime", lol, lol. My two best> friends> > > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating> > on> > > the others. Once it's told then you can't take> it> > > back. You're right they'll probably be> supportive> > I> > > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there. > > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and> > > week-end... Warm Regards, > > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,> > > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way> > to> > > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State> > Police> > > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The> > cops> > > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and> some> > of> > > them have some misconceptions -- that it's> > catching,> > > like the flu or something. I don't want to be> > > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I> > > don't want them finding the skeletons in my> closet> > > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't> hide> > it> > > from friends and family, and everybody has been> > > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your> > > family and their ability to come through for> you.> > > Regards, Re:> > > [ ] New to the group w/> > questions> > > > > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of> wisdom> > > once again...I like it when your pc is> cooperating> > > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly> > > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me> > only> > > telling my two best friends so far. I almost> told> > > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I> > > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell> the> > > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that> > yet. > > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant> > > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've> > just> > > known for a little over 3 months and still have> so> > > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and> > since> > > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period> in> > > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this> > gives> > > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of> > > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal> for> > > me. Thanks for Trudging Together, > > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote: > > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the> people> > > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were> > > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough> > not> > > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the> stigma> > of> > > having it and about the confidentiality. He told> > me> > > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is> > not> > > the "dregs of society" (my words), but normal> > > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs> > and> > > just happened to do a little drug> experimentation> > in> > > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,> > but> > > got it from other means, either transfusions,or> > > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure> to> > > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years> clean> > > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I> > think> > > that God was working there, because who knows> how> > > much worse off I would have been if I had been> > still> > > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on> > > pretty good here too... By the way, while I> would> > > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind,> the> === message truncated ===__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Sharon ~~

I was thinking about going to a support group...maybe you just gave me another reason, lol.

Dental office management sounds like a good choice. At least you could put all those years of experience to work for you. Good luck in whatever you do.

Regards,

Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: I know a girl who met her present husband through ahepc support group. My husband doesn't care. He's gotthis great attitude that if he gets it, he'll just gettreated. I know a LOT of heppers whose spouses don'thave it so I don't think it's a big problem. Althoughyou are right about having an understanding person tobe involved with. There are a lot of ignorant peopleout there.I have no idea what I'm going to do, but probablydental office management. Sharon--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > Sharon ~~> It's sad that you lost your career but I can> understand why you would choose to do so. It would> be hard to live with myself if I thought I gave this> disease to someone else. Although the risk is low> for sexual transmission (1% to 4%) with unprotected> sex with multiple partners, being single I wonder if> I'll ever have sex again. And at 44 that's not a> pleasant thought. Of course if I did it would be> with the other persons knowledge, condoms and an> understanding person that took the time to> understand about the risks. It just is confusing to> know how to handle this situation. Of course, this> is assuming that I'll EVER find someone again, lol> (been single for 1 1/2 years). > And my family would ask directly about the IV use as> they did to my brother and I couldn't lie to them. > Oh well.> When you finish your treatment have you thought> about what else you would like to do for work?> Take Care, > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: That's not> the only way to get it, so if you ask me,> you could say your unsure how you got it. They think> I> got it from one of the many times I stuck myself> with> a sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was> angry> at first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how> we> get it. I quit my career because although the chance> is slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.> Plus there is an even better chance that someone> would> sue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO> way> to prove they did or did not get it that way, so if> we> got a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just> not> worth it.> Sharon> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > Sharon ~~> > It's sad that you lost a friend through> > misunderstanding of how this disease is> transmitted.> > I have told two friends, one who had hep C and> has> > cleared the virus who was very understanding. The> > other's brother has the disease and because of> that> > doesn't have any real fears. For this I am> > grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,> > along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm> > still taking my time on anyone else. I have> > considered that after the biopsy, if there is any> > type of liver damage, that then I would tell my> > family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to> > admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I> > presume this is how I contracted the disease.> > Thanks for listening, > > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your> > time , when in doubt I wouldn't say> > anything. I had one "friend" who rushed out and> got> > tested even though her dr. told her she didn't> need> > to. A few months later she showed her true colors> > and> > we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the> > street) I also know another hepper who went to a> > friend's house and was served on paper plates> > everyone> > else got real dishes. I will say this disease has> > taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly> > thankful for them.> > Sharon> > --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful. > > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the> thought> > of> > > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have> to> > > worry about additional liver damage from that> > > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't> > > drink, I just tell them that I am already over> > quota> > > for this lifetime", lol, lol. My two best> friends> > > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating> > on> > > the others. Once it's told then you can't take> it> > > back. You're right they'll probably be> supportive> > I> > > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there. > > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and> > > week-end... Warm Regards, > > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,> > > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way> > to> > > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State> > Police> > > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The> > cops> > > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and> some> > of> > > them have some misconceptions -- that it's> > catching,> > > like the flu or something. I don't want to be> > > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I> > > don't want them finding the skeletons in my> closet> > > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't> hide> > it> > > from friends and family, and everybody has been> > > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your> > > family and their ability to come through for> you.> > > Regards, Re:> > > [ ] New to the group w/> > questions> > > > > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of> wisdom> > > once again...I like it when your pc is> cooperating> > > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly> > > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me> > only> > > telling my two best friends so far. I almost> told> > > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I> > > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell> the> > > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that> > yet. > > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant> > > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've> > just> > > known for a little over 3 months and still have> so> > > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and> > since> > > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period> in> > > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this> > gives> > > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of> > > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal> for> > > me. Thanks for Trudging Together, > > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote: > > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the> people> > > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were> > > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough> > not> > > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the> stigma> > of> > > having it and about the confidentiality. He told> > me> > > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is> > not> > > the "dregs of society" (my words), but normal> > > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs> > and> > > just happened to do a little drug> experimentation> > in> > > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,> > but> > > got it from other means, either transfusions,or> > > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure> to> > > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years> clean> > > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I> > think> > > that God was working there, because who knows> how> > > much worse off I would have been if I had been> > still> > > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on> > > pretty good here too... By the way, while I> would> > > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind,> the> === message truncated ===__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Yeah, with over 4,000,000 people having hepC, there

is a lot of opportunity out there. lol

Sharon

>

> Sharon ~~

> I was thinking about going to a support

> group...maybe you just gave me another reason, lol.

> Dental office management sounds like a good choice.

> At least you could put all those years of experience

> to work for you. Good luck in whatever you do.

> Regards,

Guest guest

I met my wife in AA. -dz-

M B wrote:

Sharon ~~ I was thinking about going to a support group...maybe you just gave me another reason, lol. Dental office management sounds like a good choice. At least you could put all those years of experience to work for you. Good luck in whatever you do. Regards, Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: I know a girl who met her present husband through ahepc support group. My husband doesn't care. He's gotthis great attitude that if he gets it, he'll just gettreated. I know a LOT of heppers whose spouses don'thave it so I don't think it's a big problem. Althoughyou are right about having an understanding person tobe involved with. There are a lot of ignorant peopleout there.I have no idea what I'm going to do, but probablydental office management. Sharon--- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > Sharon ~~> It's sad that you lost your career but I can> understand why you would choose to do so. It would> be hard to live with myself if I thought I gave this> disease to someone else. Although the risk is low> for sexual transmission (1% to 4%) with unprotected> sex with multiple partners, being single I wonder if> I'll ever have sex again. And at 44 that's not a> pleasant thought. Of course if I did it would be> with the other persons knowledge, condoms and an> understanding person that took the time to> understand about the risks. It just is confusing to> know how to handle this situation. Of course, this> is assuming that I'll EVER find someone again, lol> (been single for 1 1/2 years). > And my family would ask directly about the IV use as> they did to my brother and I couldn't lie to them. > Oh well.> When you finish your treatment have you thought> about what else you would like to do for work?> Take Care, > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: That's not> the only way to get it, so if you ask me,> you could say your unsure how you got it. They think> I> got it from one of the many times I stuck myself> with> a sharp instrument as a dental hygienist. I was> angry> at first, but finally decided it doesn't matter how> we> get it. I quit my career because although the chance> is slim, I could accidently give it to someone else.> Plus there is an even better chance that someone> would> sue the dentist and I if they had it. There is NO> way> to prove they did or did not get it that way, so if> we> got a jury of ignorant people we could lose. Just> not> worth it.> Sharon> --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > Sharon ~~> > It's sad that you lost a friend through> > misunderstanding of how this disease is> transmitted.> > I have told two friends, one who had hep C and> has> > cleared the virus who was very understanding. The> > other's brother has the disease and because of> that> > doesn't have any real fears. For this I am> > grateful. That at least gives me a couple people,> > along with ya'll, to talk to things about. I'm> > still taking my time on anyone else. I have> > considered that after the biopsy, if there is any> > type of liver damage, that then I would tell my> > family. I guess most of my reluctance has been to> > admit that I used IV drugs on two occassions. I> > presume this is how I contracted the disease.> > Thanks for listening, > > Sharon Zeis <szeis_1@...> wrote: Take your> > time , when in doubt I wouldn't say> > anything. I had one "friend" who rushed out and> got> > tested even though her dr. told her she didn't> need> > to. A few months later she showed her true colors> > and> > we haven't spoken since. (and she lives across the> > street) I also know another hepper who went to a> > friend's house and was served on paper plates> > everyone> > else got real dishes. I will say this disease has> > taught me who my REAL friends are and I am truly> > thankful for them.> > Sharon> > --- M B <bestofmarys57@...> wrote:> > > > > > ~~ You are way too kind and insiteful. > > > Thanks for the congrats. Fortunately the> thought> > of> > > alcohol is so repulsive to me that I don't have> to> > > worry about additional liver damage from that> > > direction. If someone wants to know why I don't> > > drink, I just tell them that I am already over> > quota> > > for this lifetime", lol, lol. My two best> friends> > > know about the Hep C, and I'm still vascillating> > on> > > the others. Once it's told then you can't take> it> > > back. You're right they'll probably be> supportive> > I> > > just don't know when I'll be ready to go there. > > > Hope you have a great rest of the week and> > > week-end... Warm Regards, > > > Sizer <ssizer@...> wrote: ,> > > Congratulations on your long-term sobriety. Way> > to> > > go! I know what you mean. I work in a State> > Police> > > Barracks and no one knows about my hep C. The> > cops> > > get a fair number of drug users with HCV and> some> > of> > > them have some misconceptions -- that it's> > catching,> > > like the flu or something. I don't want to be> > > ostracized and have co-workers avoid me -- and I> > > don't want them finding the skeletons in my> closet> > > from 30+ years ago. Other than that, I don't> hide> > it> > > from friends and family, and everybody has been> > > supportive. Maybe you're underestimating your> > > family and their ability to come through for> you.> > > Regards, Re:> > > [ ] New to the group w/> > questions> > > > > > Oh the wise one -dz- comes to bring word of> wisdom> > > once again...I like it when your pc is> cooperating> > > with you. Your insight and wisdom is greatly> > > appreciated. and largely is responsible for me> > only> > > telling my two best friends so far. I almost> told> > > my one brother who is also Hep C reactive but I> > > chickened out because I knew I'd have to tell> the> > > rest of my family and I'm not ready to do that> > yet. > > > Much less deal with the stigma from ignorant> > > (uneducated) folks...including employers. I've> > just> > > known for a little over 3 months and still have> so> > > much to adjust too. I too am in recovery and> > since> > > 1986 have only drank for about a 3 month period> in> > > 1992 and have been alchol free since. So this> > gives> > > my liver a lot of a break with only 3 months of> > > drinking in 17 years is definitely a God deal> for> > > me. Thanks for Trudging Together, > > > imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote: > > > , it's kind of ironic that many of the> people> > > who ostracize hcv victims are the ones who were> > > doing the same things, but just got lucky enough> > not> > > to get bitten! I talked to my dr about the> stigma> > of> > > having it and about the confidentiality. He told> > me> > > I would be surprised who is being treated. It is> > not> > > the "dregs of society" (my words), but normal> > > upstanding citizens with families and good jobs> > and> > > just happened to do a little drug> experimentation> > in> > > college or whatever. Many didn't even use drugs,> > but> > > got it from other means, either transfusions,or> > > sometimes unknown. I had taken the alcohol cure> to> > > my drug addictions, but luckily was 5 years> clean> > > and sober by the time I found out I had hcv. I> > think> > > that God was working there, because who knows> how> > > much worse off I would have been if I had been> > still> > > drinking those last 5 years. Well I'm droning on> > > pretty good here too... By the way, while I> would> > > still recommend the biopsy for peace of mind,> the> === message truncated ===__________________________________________________

Guest guest

Yeah I met my last husband in AA too, but that's been over for 5 years. Not AAs fault that's for sure, lol. Maybe I'll have better luck next time. Later,