RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Homeschooling ASpie kids

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Isn't it amazing that simply allowing a different technique.....works too!!!! My son was finally allowed to take certain tests verbally. He knew the stuff,,,,,just couldn't write it. They quickly stopped doing the tests this way.....the scores went down,,,,,and I had to go back in and REMIND them of THEIR IEP!!!!!!! Nice. But,,,,,,,,it's neat to me to see that we all learn differently. Cool. RobinLJL <laura6307@...> wrote: When my kid was

in second grade he was getting NI's (needs improvement) on his spelling tests. They wanted to modify his list so the words would be easier. What I found out through asking my son is that he could spell many of these missed words outloud. Writing the words over and over was doing nothing to get him to spell them correctly on paper. However, by allowing him to do his spelling words using magnetic letters and checking himself - putting the power of 'grading' himself into his own hands - well - he went from getting NI's to A's. For some reason, if he can use the magnetic letters he can write the words out with better accuracy.>> I don't think he has any other issues with the handwriting except for > the grip issue. The school OT blamed

his inability to focus on the > "real" reason he couldnt' write neatly. SHe said he could do it if he > took his time! I KNOW he can... but a simple list of spelling words > that would take my 7 year 10 minutes to write neatly... could take him > more than an hour. He obvious struggles to form each letter the right

Get the toolbar and be alerted to new email wherever you're surfing.

Guest guest

super! how ironic! would love to meet half way.. whats in the middle? H <hunebear3@...> wrote: I live in Gallatin! You are the closest person that I have found so far! We are still about an hour give or take a bit away from each other!! But we could meet halfway!JackieOn Jun 19, 2007, at 10:18 AM, HEATHER BEEM wrote:> where in TN? im in clarksville/ft campbell>???>> wrote:I WISH!! I live in > TN... not sure where you are! My son is 10.5...>> how old is yours?>>>> Every time I read a post that sounds like my situation... I>> think..."maybe they live near me"! I know one thing this group is>> making me want to reach out to locals with AS and see what sort

of>> support groups that I can find. I know there are several with in a 30>> minute drive! It would be "nice" to be with other families that have>> children just like mine... that would be treated "normally"! I hate>> those awful stares at the grocery store when my son throws himself >> down>> on the floor OR is screeching at me about How I mistreat him and how >> he>> has an awful life and it's worthless! I told one woman that tried to>> help me with some "advice" to mind her own business and until she had>> walked a day in MY shoes to keep her mouth shut! That didn't go over>> too well either... but she did walk away! LOL>>>> Jackie>> On Jun 19, 2007, at 7:38 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Oh Jackie.>> > PLEASE tell me that your son is about my son's age and that you live>> >

near me!!!!!>> > Ha ha......sob.>> > Why can't any of us live near eachother?????>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >> Robin,>> >> Your son sounds like mine! If anyone touches/bumps him he yells >> that>> >> they hit him 100 times! He slumps over and acts like he just got >> the>> >> heck beat out of him. OMG let's talk about when he loses in a >> game...>> >> Same response as your son... "It's not fair, I don't want to play >> your>> >> stupid game anyway". My son YES's me when we talk about the >> incidents>> >> after the fact. He's got his learned responses down... but doesn't>> >> understand WHY he's saying them!>> >>>> >> My son doesn't have any friends either! SO sad!>>

>>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:37 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > If my son and another kid go for a ball and God-forbid, my son>> >> doesn't>> >> > end up with it,,,,,or something just-as-bad - gets knocked over >> or>> >> > "touched" or hurt in any way, he's yelling that they hurt him and>> >> that>> >> > the game is stupid and starts to growl and his head sinks into >> his>> >> > shoulders.........it's awful.>> >> > We're really working on this now.....ugh.>> >> > As far as 4-square.......well,,,,,,,,,,it seems the boys will do >> the>> >> > different "passes" and make it hard for eachother and try to get>> >> >

eachother "out"....>> >> > Well,,,,,,Ian freaks when he gets out.......saying they aren't>> >> playing>> >> > fair. It's sad, actually.>> >> > He just does't "comprehend" AT THE TIME that THAT'S how the game>> >> goes.>> >> > He gets it later,,,,,after we chat. But,,,,by then, the damage >> is>> >> > done. No one wants to play.................I kinda don't blame>> >> them.>> >> > Sigh.>> >> > Robin >> >> >>> >> > wrote:>> >> >> I have "tag" issues! My son tags just a little too hard... then>> >> has to>> >> >> sit down the rest of Recess!!>> >> >>>> >> >> Jackie>> >> >>

On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:45 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >> >>>> >> >> > We had "4-square" nightmares, too!!!!!>> >> >> > What was yours?>> >> >> > Robin>> >> >> >>> >> >> > Roxanna wrote:>> >> >> >> Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just >> wondered>> >> >> what>> >> >> >> kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like>> >> there>> >> >> >> are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much >> better. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do>> >> because>> >> >> >> they like to

read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you>> >> require>> >> >> >> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds is>> >> >> really>> >> >> >> into computers and gaming. My biggest problem will be having>> >> him>> >> >> do>> >> >> >> other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be>> >> >> >> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just >> that it>> >> >> will>> >> >> >> take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you>> >> have>> >> >> >> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that>> >> >> subject? >> >> >> >> Do you ask questions

each day or have them write reports or>> >> >> >> presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them>> >> read>> >> >> >> whatever subject they want that week? Do you use virtual>> >> school or>> >> >> >> do you homeschool from "scratch?" >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens >> to>> >> my>> >> >> ds,>> >> >> >> 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one >> "group">> >> >> and>> >> >> >> then outright struggling in some situations like the "four>> >> square">> >> >> >> nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good

>> thing>> >> >> about>> >> >> >> middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30 >> minutes>> >> and>> >> >> >> only once a day. Still, I worry. I want to see if they can>> >> have>> >> >> him>> >> >> >> work in the office or help with something instead of just >> wander>> >> >> >> around trying to play. And even then, he might get mad and >> feel>> >> >> he's>> >> >> >> being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like the>> >> >> others. >> >> >> >> So we will have to watch how we set things up. Who knows. >> >> Middle>> >> >> >> school is really the

land of the unknown even having gone>> >> through>> >> >> it>> >> >> >> already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even makes it worse>> >> >> because I>> >> >> >> know what can happen and go wrong. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Roxanna>> >> >> >> Autism Happens>> >> >> >>> Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things

that happen >> after>> >> >> noon>> >> >> >>> often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of>> >> >> homeschool>> >> >> >>> afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities >> happen>> >> >> >>> after>> >> >> >>> noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because>> >> truly,>> >> >> so>> >> >> >>> many things are educational that are not sit down structured>> >> >> workbook>> >> >> >>> stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for>> >> >> example>> >> >> >>> that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off >> with>> >> >> >>>

that.>> >> >> >>> On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and>> >> >> >> >> is>> >> >> >>> reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to>> >> devote to>> >> >> >>> their interests because once their workbooks are done, they>> >> are on>> >> >> >>> their own to do things. Back in March opted to >> research>> >> >> rocks>> >> >> >>> and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, >> and>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>> participates in baseball. During the school year, I

also had>> >> them>> >> >> in>> >> >> >>> the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and >> >> did>> >> >> the>> >> >> >>> zoo club.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We>> >> met>> >> >> on>> >> >> >>> T>> >> >> >>> nights to hike during the public school year - now we are>> >> meeting>> >> >> >>> throughout the week at various times. Last week we even >> went on>> >> >> two>> >> >> >>> hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three>> >> kids.>> >> >>

>>> Another hike with two families that have four kids.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other>> >> >> homeschool>> >> >> >>> kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's>> >> >> >>> ecclectic)>> >> >> >>> and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several >> hours.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in>> >> another>> >> >> >>> town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park >> and>> >> said>> >> >> >>> he>> >> >> >>> did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I

>> told>> >> him>> >> >> >>> that>> >> >> >>> it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said,>> >> "But I>> >> >> >>> want>> >> >> >>> to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming >> from>> >> >> him!>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. >> You>> >> >> can't>> >> >> >>> believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is>> >> pretty>> >> >> >>> much>> >> >> >>> a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot >> less>> >> >> time,>> >> >>

>>> and>> >> >> >>> I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with>> >> other>> >> >> >>> kids. I also get to see Baby more.">> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering >> socially.>> >> I>> >> >> >>> used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the>> >> >> >>> playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not>> >> enough>> >> >> >>> time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 >> minute>> >> >> lunch>> >> >> >>> he got where he could have spent time talking with other >> kids>> >> was>> >> >> a>>

>> >> >>> loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was>> >> too>> >> >> >>> much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to>> >> line>> >> >> up>> >> >> >>> and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay>> >> attention to>> >> >> >>> the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When >> other>> >> kids>> >> >> >>> talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in>> >> the>> >> >> day>> >> >> >>> devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on >> the>> >> >> >>> spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest >> of>> >>

the>> >> >> >>> day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for >> doing>> >> so>> >> >> >>> made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids >> for>> >> >> doing>> >> >> >>> it. They were told to read a book when they got done with >> desk>> >> >> work ->> >> >> >>> not talk to others.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about>> >> this. I>> >> >> >>> don't think it is for every family or every kid but it >> always>> >> >> gets my>> >> >> >>> underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like>> >> >>

homeschooled>> >> >> >>> kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a>> >> family>> >> >> >>> is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. >> I>> >> >> don't>> >> >> >>> think every time a homeschool family is struggling with>> >> >> socialization>> >> >> >>> that public school is the solution, either.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>> >>> >> >> >>> > How does he get contact with other kids while being>> >> >>

homeschooled?>> >> >> >>> >>> >> >> >>> > Roxanna>> >> >> >>> > Autism Happens>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> >> >> > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on >> >> Travel.>> >> >> >>> >> > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative>> >> vehicles.>> >> > Visit the Auto Green Center.>> > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck>> > in the all-new Beta.> Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket: > mail, news, photos & more.

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

Guest guest

I'm not sure what would be the halfway mark... but I'm sure with a

little research we can find some place. Email me off board and I will

give you my contact information. This will be great since we have sons

that are the same age. Do you have other children? I have 2 daughters

aged 8 and 4.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Jackie

On Jun 19, 2007, at 1:17 PM, HEATHER BEEM wrote:

> super! how ironic! would love to meet half way.. whats in the middle?

> H

>

> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

>> I live in Gallatin! You are the closest person that I have found so

>> far! We are still about an hour give or take a bit away from each

>> other!! But we could meet halfway!

>>

>> Jackie

>> On Jun 19, 2007, at 10:18 AM, HEATHER BEEM wrote:

>>

>> > where in TN? im in clarksville/ft campbell>???

>> >

>> > wrote:I WISH!! I live in

>> > TN... not sure where you are! My son is 10.5...

>> >> how old is yours?

>> >>

>> >> Every time I read a post that sounds like my situation... I

>> >> think... " maybe they live near me " ! I know one thing this group is

>> >> making me want to reach out to locals with AS and see what sort of

>> >> support groups that I can find. I know there are several with in a

>> 30

>> >> minute drive! It would be " nice " to be with other families that

>> have

>> >> children just like mine... that would be treated " normally " ! I hate

>> >> those awful stares at the grocery store when my son throws himself

>> >> down

>> >> on the floor OR is screeching at me about How I mistreat him and

>> how

>> >> he

>> >> has an awful life and it's worthless! I told one woman that tried

>> to

>> >> help me with some " advice " to mind her own business and until she

>> had

>> >> walked a day in MY shoes to keep her mouth shut! That didn't go

>> over

>> >> too well either... but she did walk away! LOL

>> >>

>> >> Jackie

>> >> On Jun 19, 2007, at 7:38 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >>

>> >> > Oh Jackie.

>> >> > PLEASE tell me that your son is about my son's age and that you

>> live

>> >> > near me!!!!!

>> >> > Ha ha......sob.

>> >> > Why can't any of us live near eachother?????

>> >> > Robin

>> >> >

>> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> Robin,

>> >> >> Your son sounds like mine! If anyone touches/bumps him he yells

>> >> that

>> >> >> they hit him 100 times! He slumps over and acts like he just got

>> >> the

>> >> >> heck beat out of him. OMG let's talk about when he loses in a

>> >> game...

>> >> >> Same response as your son... " It's not fair, I don't want to

>> play

>> >> your

>> >> >> stupid game anyway " . My son YES's me when we talk about the

>> >> incidents

>> >> >> after the fact. He's got his learned responses down... but

>> doesn't

>> >> >> understand WHY he's saying them!

>> >> >>

>> >> >> My son doesn't have any friends either! SO sad!

>> >> >>

>> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:37 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >> >>

>> >> >> > If my son and another kid go for a ball and God-forbid, my son

>> >> >> doesn't

>> >> >> > end up with it,,,,,or something just-as-bad - gets knocked

>> over

>> >> or

>> >> >> > " touched " or hurt in any way, he's yelling that they hurt him

>> and

>> >> >> that

>> >> >> > the game is stupid and starts to growl and his head sinks into

>> >> his

>> >> >> > shoulders.........it's awful.

>> >> >> > We're really working on this now.....ugh.

>> >> >> > As far as 4-square.......well,,,,,,,,,,it seems the boys will

>> do

>> >> the

>> >> >> > different " passes " and make it hard for eachother and try to

>> get

>> >> >> > eachother  " out " ....

>> >> >> > Well,,,,,,Ian freaks when he gets out.......saying they aren't

>> >> >> playing

>> >> >> > fair.  It's sad, actually.

>> >> >> > He just does't " comprehend "  AT THE TIME that THAT'S how the

>> game

>> >> >> goes.

>> >> >> > He gets it later,,,,,after we chat.  But,,,,by then, the

>> damage

>> >> is

>> >> >> > done.  No one wants to play.................I kinda don't

>> blame

>> >> >> them.

>> >> >> > Sigh.

>> >> >> > Robin 

>> >> >> >

>> >> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> >> I have " tag " issues! My son tags just a little too hard...

>> then

>> >> >> has to

>> >> >> >> sit down the rest of Recess!!

>> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:45 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >> >> >>

>> >> >> >> > We had " 4-square " nightmares, too!!!!!

>> >> >> >> > What was yours?

>> >> >> >> > Robin

>> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> >> > Roxanna wrote:

>> >> >> >> >> Thanks for writing all that.  I agree with you.  I just

>> >> wondered

>> >> >> >> what

>> >> >> >> >> kinds of stuff you have found around here to do.  Sounds

>> like

>> >> >> there

>> >> >> >> >> are a lot of options really.  That makes me feel much

>> >> better. 

>> >> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> >> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do

>> >> >> because

>> >> >> >> >> they like to read or do you direct it more.  I mean, do

>> you

>> >> >> require

>> >> >> >> >> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc.  My

>> ds is

>> >> >> >> really

>> >> >> >> >> into computers and gaming.  My biggest problem will be

>> having

>> >> >> him

>> >> >> >> do

>> >> >> >> >> other things besides playing games.  I don't think it

>> will be

>> >> >> >> >> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just

>> >> that it

>> >> >> >> will

>> >> >> >> >> take effort.  lol.  Also, if you require reading time, do

>> you

>> >> >> have

>> >> >> >> >> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on

>> that

>> >> >> >> subject? 

>> >> >> >> >> Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports

>> or

>> >> >> >> >> presentations on what they are learning?  Or do you let

>> them

>> >> >> read

>> >> >> >> >> whatever subject they want that week?  Do you use virtual

>> >> >> school or

>> >> >> >> >> do you homeschool from " scratch? "  

>> >> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> >> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what

>> happens

>> >> to

>> >> >> my

>> >> >> >> ds,

>> >> >> >> >> 10 yo.  He wanders around, never fitting in with any one

>> >> " group "

>> >> >> >> and

>> >> >> >> >> then outright struggling in some situations like the " four

>> >> >> square "

>> >> >> >> >> nightmare we had the last few weeks of school.  The good

>> >> thing

>> >> >> >> about

>> >> >> >> >> middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30

>> >> minutes

>> >> >> and

>> >> >> >> >> only once a day.  Still, I worry.  I want to see if they

>> can

>> >> >> have

>> >> >> >> him

>> >> >> >> >> work in the office or help with something instead of just

>> >> wander

>> >> >> >> >> around trying to play.  And even then, he might get mad

>> and

>> >> feel

>> >> >> >> he's

>> >> >> >> >> being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like

>> the

>> >> >> >> others. 

>> >> >> >> >> So we will have to watch how we set things up.   Who

>> knows. 

>> >> >> Middle

>> >> >> >> >> school is really the land of the unknown even having gone

>> >> >> through

>> >> >> >> it

>> >> >> >> >> already with the oldest ds!  Maybe that even makes it

>> worse

>> >> >> >> because I

>> >> >> >> >> know what can happen and go wrong. 

>> >> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> >> Roxanna

>> >> >> >> >> Autism Happens

>> >> >> >> >>> Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen

>> >> after

>> >> >> >> noon

>> >> >> >> >>> often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours

>> of

>> >> >> >> homeschool

>> >> >> >> >>> afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities

>> >> happen

>> >> >> >> >>> after

>> >> >> >> >>> noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count'

>> because

>> >> >> truly,

>> >> >> >> so

>> >> >> >> >>> many things are educational that are not sit down

>> structured

>> >> >> >> workbook

>> >> >> >> >>> stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club

>> for

>> >> >> >> example

>> >> >> >> >>> that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken

>> off

>> >> with

>> >> >> >> >>> that.

>> >> >> >> >>> On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and

>> >> >>

>> >> >> >> is

>> >> >> >> >>> reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to

>> >> >> devote to

>> >> >> >> >>> their interests because once their workbooks are done,

>> they

>> >> >> are on

>> >> >> >> >>> their own to do things. Back in March opted to

>> >> research

>> >> >> >> rocks

>> >> >> >> >>> and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in

>> scouts,

>> >> and

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> participates in baseball. During the school year, I also

>> had

>> >> >> them

>> >> >> >> in

>> >> >> >> >>> the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and

>>

>> >> >> did

>> >> >> >> the

>> >> >> >> >>> zoo club.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled

>> kids. We

>> >> >> met

>> >> >> >> on

>> >> >> >> >>> T

>> >> >> >> >>> nights to hike during the public school year - now we are

>> >> >> meeting

>> >> >> >> >>> throughout the week at various times. Last week we even

>> >> went on

>> >> >> >> two

>> >> >> >> >>> hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has

>> three

>> >> >> kids.

>> >> >> >> >>> Another hike with two families that have four kids.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other

>> >> >> >> homeschool

>> >> >> >> >>> kids. There are 30 families in this particular group

>> (it's

>> >> >> >> >>> ecclectic)

>> >> >> >> >>> and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several

>> >> hours.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in

>> >> >> another

>> >> >> >> >>> town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park

>> >> and

>> >> >> said

>> >> >> >> >>> he

>> >> >> >> >>> did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I

>> >> told

>> >> >> him

>> >> >> >> >>> that

>> >> >> >> >>> it was ok - that he could do something else. He then

>> said,

>> >> >> " But I

>> >> >> >> >>> want

>> >> >> >> >>> to be where the other kids are. " That's pretty big coming

>> >> from

>> >> >> >> him!

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know.

>> >> You

>> >> >> >> can't

>> >> >> >> >>> believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This

>> is

>> >> >> pretty

>> >> >> >> >>> much

>> >> >> >> >>> a direct quote from him, " I get a lot more done in a lot

>> >> less

>> >> >> >> time,

>> >> >> >> >>> and

>> >> >> >> >>> I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing

>> with

>> >> >> other

>> >> >> >> >>> kids. I also get to see Baby more. "

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering

>> >> socially.

>> >> >> I

>> >> >> >> >>> used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling

>> the

>> >> >> >> >>> playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not

>> >> >> enough

>> >> >> >> >>> time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30

>> >> minute

>> >> >> >> lunch

>> >> >> >> >>> he got where he could have spent time talking with other

>> >> kids

>> >> >> was

>> >> >> >> a

>> >> >> >> >>> loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There

>> was

>> >> >> too

>> >> >> >> >>> much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes

>> to

>> >> >> line

>> >> >> >> up

>> >> >> >> >>> and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay

>> >> >> attention to

>> >> >> >> >>> the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When

>> >> other

>> >> >> kids

>> >> >> >> >>> talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15

>> minutes in

>> >> >> the

>> >> >> >> day

>> >> >> >> >>> devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child

>> on

>> >> the

>> >> >> >> >>> spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the

>> rest

>> >> of

>> >> >> the

>> >> >> >> >>> day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for

>> >> doing

>> >> >> so

>> >> >> >> >>> made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other

>> kids

>> >> for

>> >> >> >> doing

>> >> >> >> >>> it. They were told to read a book when they got done with

>> >> desk

>> >> >> >> work -

>> >> >> >> >>> not talk to others.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate

>> about

>> >> >> this. I

>> >> >> >> >>> don't think it is for every family or every kid but it

>> >> always

>> >> >> >> gets my

>> >> >> >> >>> underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like

>> >> >> >> homeschooled

>> >> >> >> >>> kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every

>> time a

>> >> >> family

>> >> >> >> >>> is having trouble with the school they ought to

>> homeschool.

>> >> I

>> >> >> >> don't

>> >> >> >> >>> think every time a homeschool family is struggling with

>> >> >> >> socialization

>> >> >> >> >>> that public school is the solution, either.

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >>> >

>> >> >> >> >>> > How does he get contact with other kids while being

>> >> >> >> homeschooled?

>> >> >> >> >>> >

>> >> >> >> >>> > Roxanna

>> >> >> >> >>> > Autism Happens

>> >> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> >> > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on

>>

>> >> >> Travel.

>> >> >> >> >

>> >> >> > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative

>> >> >> vehicles.

>> >> >> > Visit the Auto Green Center.

>> >> > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

>> >> > in the all-new Beta.

>> > Take the Internet to Go: Go puts the Internet in your pocket:

>> > mail, news, photos & more.

> Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

> Check out fitting gifts for grads at Search.

Guest guest

Hello there ,

All 3 of my children have dysgraphia but for them it is more the motor area and writing of any sort causes significant pain for each of them. I can recall my dd having to handwrite an English and Creative Writing exam both in the same day. They would not allow the use of her laptop because they were concerned about cheating. So she had to do them the hard way. I remember requesting that 1 exam be moved to take the pressure off of her but they wouldn't allow that either. By the time she arrived home her arm and wrist were visibly swollen and she swallowed several pain relievers plus wrapped her wrist in an ice pack for several times that night. Thankfully she didn't have an exam the next day so she had another day to recuperate but as a parent it was so hard to watch her go through that. I can definitely appreciate what you are taking about.

For my twin boys they thankfully have several more accomdations in place. Both can have scribes for some of their work, especially homework, both may take breaks whenever needed when they are working on Language Arts, Spelling, Math or Creative Writing. They can dictate assignments and math questions are reduced if they have the concept down pat. Both can use the computer for almost all assignments, homework, and projects. Both have taken typing courses, my more severe twin started much earlier than my other. Keyboarding is much easier than handwriting or printing for all 3 of them.

My more severe son also has an AlphaSmart for most of his schoolwork. He loves it! He got to bring it home for me to see! The use of the AlphaSmart has increased his independence and was definitely a good idea. It does make transitioning to a laptop a little more difficult but not impossible. You can look them up on the internet very easily. My more severe twin has an improper grip (uses his fist) and although that was worked on by OT (the dysgraphia wasn't diagnosed until much later) so they were working on the wrong thing. They both instead needed exercises to strengthen their chest and shoulder muscles but the OT was having us do fine motor activities and they weren't working because the connecting muscles were too weak. By the time we moved and the dysgraphia was caught by a new OT his fist grip was well ingrained and very very hard to change. He still does it the wrong way and may for the rest of his life.

Marie

www.freedom4families.com

RE: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids

I know this is long but I thought this might help – I found this online. Many AS kids also suffer from dysgraphia – my 17 year old was diagnosed with dysgraphia while in elementary school although we did not get Asperger diagnosis until he was 15 (diagnosis of ADHD age 5). Tyler’s handwriting is horrible – his printing is almost illegible and while his cursive is very good it is laborious and takes him forever. He used an Alpha Smart in elementary school and has been allowed to do computer-generated work as well as having notes provided, etc. I did not include the strategies for teenagers and adults as I see most of the talk about poor writing skills is among parents with younger children. Hope this helps.

What is Dysgraphia?Dysgraphia is a learning disability that affects writing abilities. It can manifest itself as difficulties with spelling, poor handwriting and trouble putting thoughts on paper. Because writing requires a complex set of motor and information processing skills, saying a student has dysgraphia is not sufficient. A student with disorders in written expression will benefit from specific accommodations in the learning environment, as well as additional practice learning the skills required to be an accomplished writer.

What are the Warning Signs of Dysgraphia?Just having bad handwriting doesn't mean a person has dysgraphia. Since dysgraphia is a processing disorder, difficulties can change throughout a lifetime. However since writing is a developmental process -children learn the motor skills needed to write, while learning the thinking skills needed to communicate on paper - difficulties can also overlap.

If a person has trouble in any of the areas below, additional help may be beneficial.

· Tight, awkward pencil grip and body position

· Illegible handwriting

· Avoiding writing or drawing tasks

· Tiring quickly while writing

· Saying words out loud while writing

· Unfinished or omitted words in sentences

· Difficulty organizing thoughts on paper

· Difficulty with syntax structure and grammar

· Large gap between written ideas and understanding demonstrated through speech.

What Strategies Can Help? There are many ways to help a person with dysgraphia achieve success. Generally strategies fall into three categories:

· Accommodations: providing alternatives to written expression

· Modifications: changing expectations or tasks to minimize or avoid the area of weakness

· Remediation: providing instruction for improving handwriting and writing skills

Each type of strategy should be considered when planning instruction and support. A person with dysgraphia will benefit from help from both specialists and those who are closest to the person. Finding the most beneficial type of support is a process of trying different ideas and openly exchanging thoughts on what works best.

Below are some examples of how to teach individuals with dysgraphia to overcome some of their difficulties with written expression.

Early Writers

· Use paper with raised lines for a sensory guide to staying within the lines.

· Try different pens and pencils to find one that's most comfortable.

· Practice writing letters and numbers in the air with big arm movements to improve motor memory of these important shapes. Also practice letters and numbers with smaller hand or finger motions.

· Encourage proper grip, posture and paper positioning for writing. It's important to reinforce this early as it's difficult for students to unlearn bad habits later on.

· Use multi-sensory techniques for learning letters, shapes and numbers. For example, speaking through motor sequences, such as "b" is "big stick down, circle away from my body."

· Introduce a word processor on a computer early; however do not eliminate handwriting for the child. While typing can make it easier to write by alleviating the frustration of forming letters, handwriting is a vital part of a person's ability to function in the world.

· Be patient and positive, encourage practice and praise effort - becoming a good writer takes time and practice.

Young Students

· Allow use of print or cursive - whichever is more comfortable.

· Use large graph paper for math calculation to keep columns and rows organized.

· Allow extra time for writing assignments.

· Begin writing assignments creatively with drawing, or speaking ideas into a tape recorder

· Alternate focus of writing assignments - put the emphasis on some for neatness and spelling, others for grammar or organization of ideas.

· Explicitly teach different types of writing - expository and personal essays, short stories, poems, etc.

· Do not judge timed assignments on neatness and spelling.

· Have students proofread work after a delay - it's easier to see mistakes after a break.

· Help students create a checklist for editing work - spelling, neatness, grammar, syntax, clear progression of ideas, etc.

· Encourage use of a spell checker - speaking spell checkers are available for handwritten work

· Reduce amount of copying; instead, focus on writing original answers and ideas

· Have student complete tasks in small steps instead of all at once.

· Find alternative means of assessing knowledge, such as oral reports or visual projects

· Encourage practice through low-stress opportunities for writing such as letters, a diary, making household lists or keeping track of sports teams.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.1/854 - Release Date: 19/06/2007 1:12 PM

Guest guest

Roxanna, want to send a little faith and my way. Pam :)See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

Hi. We're in Wisconsin. Shoot. Oh well. hee hee. Ian just turned 11 last month. (9 yr old daughter, 7 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter, too) Robin <hunebear3@...> wrote: I WISH!! I live in TN... not sure where you are! My son is 10.5... how old is yours?Every time I read a post that sounds like my situation... I think..."maybe they live near me"! I know one thing this group is making me want to reach out to locals with AS and see what sort of support groups that I can find. I know there are several with in a 30 minute drive! It would be "nice" to be with other families that have children just like mine... that would be treated "normally"! I hate those awful stares at the grocery store when my son throws

himself down on the floor OR is screeching at me about How I mistreat him and how he has an awful life and it's worthless! I told one woman that tried to help me with some "advice" to mind her own business and until she had walked a day in MY shoes to keep her mouth shut! That didn't go over too well either... but she did walk away! LOLJackieOn Jun 19, 2007, at 7:38 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> Oh Jackie.> PLEASE tell me that your son is about my son's age and that you live > near me!!!!!> Ha ha......sob.> Why can't any of us live near eachother?????> Robin>> wrote:>> Robin,>> Your son sounds like mine! If anyone touches/bumps him he yells that>> they hit him 100 times! He slumps over and acts like he just got the>> heck beat out of him. OMG let's talk about when he loses in a game...>>

Same response as your son... "It's not fair, I don't want to play your>> stupid game anyway". My son YES's me when we talk about the incidents>> after the fact. He's got his learned responses down... but doesn't>> understand WHY he's saying them!>>>> My son doesn't have any friends either! SO sad!>>>> Jackie>> On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:37 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > If my son and another kid go for a ball and God-forbid, my son >> doesn't>> > end up with it,,,,,or something just-as-bad - gets knocked over or>> > "touched" or hurt in any way, he's yelling that they hurt him and >> that>> > the game is stupid and starts to growl and his head sinks into his>> > shoulders.........it's awful.>> > We're really working on this now.....ugh.>> > As far as

4-square.......well,,,,,,,,,,it seems the boys will do the>> > different "passes" and make it hard for eachother and try to get>> > eachother "out"....>> > Well,,,,,,Ian freaks when he gets out.......saying they aren't >> playing>> > fair. It's sad, actually.>> > He just does't "comprehend" AT THE TIME that THAT'S how the game >> goes.>> > He gets it later,,,,,after we chat. But,,,,by then, the damage is>> > done. No one wants to play.................I kinda don't blame >> them.>> > Sigh.>> > Robin >> >>> > wrote:>> >> I have "tag" issues! My son tags just a little too hard... then >> has to>> >> sit down the rest of Recess!!>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jun 18,

2007, at 12:45 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > We had "4-square" nightmares, too!!!!!>> >> > What was yours?>> >> > Robin>> >> >>> >> > Roxanna wrote:>> >> >> Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just wondered>> >> what>> >> >> kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like >> there>> >> >> are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much better. >> >> >> >> >> >> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do >> because>> >> >> they like to read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you >> require>> >> >> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds

is>> >> really>> >> >> into computers and gaming. My biggest problem will be having >> him>> >> do>> >> >> other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be>> >> >> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just that it>> >> will>> >> >> take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you >> have>> >> >> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that>> >> subject? >> >> >> Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or>> >> >> presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them >> read>> >> >> whatever subject they want that week? Do you use virtual >> school or>> >> >> do

you homeschool from "scratch?" >> >> >> >> >> >> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens to >> my>> >> ds,>> >> >> 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one "group">> >> and>> >> >> then outright struggling in some situations like the "four >> square">> >> >> nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good thing>> >> about>> >> >> middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30 minutes >> and>> >> >> only once a day. Still, I worry. I want to see if they can >> have>> >> him>> >> >> work in the office or help with something instead of just wander>> >> >> around trying to play. And even

then, he might get mad and feel>> >> he's>> >> >> being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like the>> >> others. >> >> >> So we will have to watch how we set things up. Who knows. >> Middle>> >> >> school is really the land of the unknown even having gone >> through>> >> it>> >> >> already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even makes it worse>> >> because I>> >> >> know what can happen and go wrong. >> >> >> >> >> >> Roxanna>> >> >> Autism Happens>> >> >>> Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids>> >> >>>>> >> >>> We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen after>> >> noon>> >> >>> often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of>> >> homeschool>> >> >>> afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities happen>> >> >>> after>> >> >>> noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because >> truly,>> >> so>> >> >>> many things are educational that are not sit down structured>> >> workbook>> >> >>> stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for>> >> example>> >> >>> that meets on a monthly basis, and

the kids have taken off with>> >> >>> that.>> >> >>> On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and >> >> >> is>> >> >>> reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to >> devote to>> >> >>> their interests because once their workbooks are done, they >> are on>> >> >>> their own to do things. Back in March opted to research>> >> rocks>> >> >>> and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, and>> >> >>> >> >> >>> participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had >> them>> >> in>> >> >>> the

after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and >> did>> >> the>> >> >>> zoo club.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We >> met>> >> on>> >> >>> T>> >> >>> nights to hike during the public school year - now we are >> meeting>> >> >>> throughout the week at various times. Last week we even went on>> >> two>> >> >>> hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three >> kids.>> >> >>> Another hike with two families that have four kids.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other>> >> homeschool>> >> >>> kids. There

are 30 families in this particular group (it's>> >> >>> ecclectic)>> >> >>> and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several hours.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in >> another>> >> >>> town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park and >> said>> >> >>> he>> >> >>> did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I told >> him>> >> >>> that>> >> >>> it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said, >> "But I>> >> >>> want>> >> >>> to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming from>> >> him!>> >> >>>>> >> >>>

Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. You>> >> can't>> >> >>> believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is >> pretty>> >> >>> much>> >> >>> a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot less>> >> time,>> >> >>> and>> >> >>> I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with >> other>> >> >>> kids. I also get to see Baby more.">> >> >>>>> >> >>> I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering socially. >> I>> >> >>> used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the>> >> >>> playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not >> enough>> >> >>> time for him to

relax and engage with others. The 20-30 minute>> >> lunch>> >> >>> he got where he could have spent time talking with other kids >> was>> >> a>> >> >>> loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was >> too>> >> >>> much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to >> line>> >> up>> >> >>> and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay >> attention to>> >> >>> the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When other >> kids>> >> >>> talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in >> the>> >> day>> >> >>> devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on the>> >> >>> spectrum. As far as social

interactions throughout the rest of >> the>> >> >>> day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for doing >> so>> >> >>> made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids for>> >> doing>> >> >>> it. They were told to read a book when they got done with desk>> >> work ->> >> >>> not talk to others.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about >> this. I>> >> >>> don't think it is for every family or every kid but it always>> >> gets my>> >> >>> underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like>> >> homeschooled>> >> >>> kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a >>

family>> >> >>> is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. I>> >> don't>> >> >>> think every time a homeschool family is struggling with>> >> socialization>> >> >>> that public school is the solution, either.>> >> >>>>> >> >>> >> >> >>>>> >> >>> >> >> >>> >>> >> >>> > How does he get contact with other kids while being>> >> homeschooled?>> >> >>> >>> >> >>> > Roxanna>> >> >>> > Autism Happens>> >> >>>>> >> >>> >> > Need a vacation? Get great

deals to amazing places on >> Travel.>> >> >>> > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative >> vehicles.>> > Visit the Auto Green Center.> You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck> in the all-new Beta.

oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web links.

Guest guest

Robin,

Too bad... we would be a pretty good match too. Our kids are all

pretty much the same age... except I have 3 children and you have 4!

My daughters are 8 and 4!

Oh well... we can still " talk " here! I think it's wonderful that I can

see that there are other children out there that do the same thing as

mine. It's hard sometimes to realize that he has a DX because he's so

smart and other times I have a hard time believing that he really is

10.5 years old!

I just picked him up from Summer Enrichment School and he was so

agitated. Dodge Ball was the issue today! Seems that he was the

target of some children's aggression, or at least in his eyes he was!

Jackie

On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:10 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

> Hi.

> We're in Wisconsin. Shoot.  Oh well.  hee hee.

> Ian just turned 11 last month.  (9 yr old daughter, 7 yr old son and 5

> yr old daughter, too) 

> Robin

>

>

> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

>> I WISH!! I live in TN... not sure where you are! My son is 10.5...

>> how old is yours?

>>

>> Every time I read a post that sounds like my situation... I

>> think... " maybe they live near me " ! I know one thing this group is

>> making me want to reach out to locals with AS and see what sort of

>> support groups that I can find. I know there are several with in a 30

>> minute drive! It would be " nice " to be with other families that have

>> children just like mine... that would be treated " normally " ! I hate

>> those awful stares at the grocery store when my son throws himself

>> down

>> on the floor OR is screeching at me about How I mistreat him and how

>> he

>> has an awful life and it's worthless! I told one woman that tried to

>> help me with some " advice " to mind her own business and until she had

>> walked a day in MY shoes to keep her mouth shut! That didn't go over

>> too well either... but she did walk away! LOL

>>

>> Jackie

>> On Jun 19, 2007, at 7:38 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>>

>> > Oh Jackie.

>> > PLEASE tell me that your son is about my son's age and that you live

>> > near me!!!!!

>> > Ha ha......sob.

>> > Why can't any of us live near eachother?????

>> > Robin

>> >

>> > wrote:

>> >> Robin,

>> >> Your son sounds like mine! If anyone touches/bumps him he yells

>> that

>> >> they hit him 100 times! He slumps over and acts like he just got

>> the

>> >> heck beat out of him. OMG let's talk about when he loses in a

>> game...

>> >> Same response as your son... " It's not fair, I don't want to play

>> your

>> >> stupid game anyway " . My son YES's me when we talk about the

>> incidents

>> >> after the fact. He's got his learned responses down... but doesn't

>> >> understand WHY he's saying them!

>> >>

>> >> My son doesn't have any friends either! SO sad!

>> >>

>> >> Jackie

>> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:37 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >>

>> >> > If my son and another kid go for a ball and God-forbid, my son

>> >> doesn't

>> >> > end up with it,,,,,or something just-as-bad - gets knocked over

>> or

>> >> > " touched " or hurt in any way, he's yelling that they hurt him and

>> >> that

>> >> > the game is stupid and starts to growl and his head sinks into

>> his

>> >> > shoulders.........it's awful.

>> >> > We're really working on this now.....ugh.

>> >> > As far as 4-square.......well,,,,,,,,,,it seems the boys will do

>> the

>> >> > different " passes " and make it hard for eachother and try to get

>> >> > eachother  " out " ....

>> >> > Well,,,,,,Ian freaks when he gets out.......saying they aren't

>> >> playing

>> >> > fair.  It's sad, actually.

>> >> > He just does't " comprehend "  AT THE TIME that THAT'S how the game

>> >> goes.

>> >> > He gets it later,,,,,after we chat.  But,,,,by then, the damage

>> is

>> >> > done.  No one wants to play.................I kinda don't blame

>> >> them.

>> >> > Sigh.

>> >> > Robin 

>> >> >

>> >> > wrote:

>> >> >> I have " tag " issues! My son tags just a little too hard... then

>> >> has to

>> >> >> sit down the rest of Recess!!

>> >> >>

>> >> >> Jackie

>> >> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:45 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

>> >> >>

>> >> >> > We had " 4-square " nightmares, too!!!!!

>> >> >> > What was yours?

>> >> >> > Robin

>> >> >> >

>> >> >> > Roxanna wrote:

>> >> >> >> Thanks for writing all that.  I agree with you.  I just

>> wondered

>> >> >> what

>> >> >> >> kinds of stuff you have found around here to do.  Sounds like

>> >> there

>> >> >> >> are a lot of options really.  That makes me feel much

>> better. 

>> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do

>> >> because

>> >> >> >> they like to read or do you direct it more.  I mean, do you

>> >> require

>> >> >> >> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc.  My ds is

>> >> >> really

>> >> >> >> into computers and gaming.  My biggest problem will be having

>> >> him

>> >> >> do

>> >> >> >> other things besides playing games.  I don't think it will be

>> >> >> >> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just

>> that it

>> >> >> will

>> >> >> >> take effort.  lol.  Also, if you require reading time, do you

>> >> have

>> >> >> >> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that

>> >> >> subject? 

>> >> >> >> Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or

>> >> >> >> presentations on what they are learning?  Or do you let them

>> >> read

>> >> >> >> whatever subject they want that week?  Do you use virtual

>> >> school or

>> >> >> >> do you homeschool from " scratch? "  

>> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens

>> to

>> >> my

>> >> >> ds,

>> >> >> >> 10 yo.  He wanders around, never fitting in with any one

>> " group "

>> >> >> and

>> >> >> >> then outright struggling in some situations like the " four

>> >> square "

>> >> >> >> nightmare we had the last few weeks of school.  The good

>> thing

>> >> >> about

>> >> >> >> middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30

>> minutes

>> >> and

>> >> >> >> only once a day.  Still, I worry.  I want to see if they can

>> >> have

>> >> >> him

>> >> >> >> work in the office or help with something instead of just

>> wander

>> >> >> >> around trying to play.  And even then, he might get mad and

>> feel

>> >> >> he's

>> >> >> >> being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like the

>> >> >> others. 

>> >> >> >> So we will have to watch how we set things up.   Who knows. 

>> >> Middle

>> >> >> >> school is really the land of the unknown even having gone

>> >> through

>> >> >> it

>> >> >> >> already with the oldest ds!  Maybe that even makes it worse

>> >> >> because I

>> >> >> >> know what can happen and go wrong. 

>> >> >> >>  

>> >> >> >> Roxanna

>> >> >> >> Autism Happens

>> >> >> >>> Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen

>> after

>> >> >> noon

>> >> >> >>> often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of

>> >> >> homeschool

>> >> >> >>> afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities

>> happen

>> >> >> >>> after

>> >> >> >>> noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because

>> >> truly,

>> >> >> so

>> >> >> >>> many things are educational that are not sit down structured

>> >> >> workbook

>> >> >> >>> stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for

>> >> >> example

>> >> >> >>> that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off

>> with

>> >> >> >>> that.

>> >> >> >>> On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and

>> >>

>> >> >> is

>> >> >> >>> reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to

>> >> devote to

>> >> >> >>> their interests because once their workbooks are done, they

>> >> are on

>> >> >> >>> their own to do things. Back in March opted to

>> research

>> >> >> rocks

>> >> >> >>> and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts,

>> and

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had

>> >> them

>> >> >> in

>> >> >> >>> the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and

>> >> did

>> >> >> the

>> >> >> >>> zoo club.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We

>> >> met

>> >> >> on

>> >> >> >>> T

>> >> >> >>> nights to hike during the public school year - now we are

>> >> meeting

>> >> >> >>> throughout the week at various times. Last week we even

>> went on

>> >> >> two

>> >> >> >>> hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three

>> >> kids.

>> >> >> >>> Another hike with two families that have four kids.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other

>> >> >> homeschool

>> >> >> >>> kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's

>> >> >> >>> ecclectic)

>> >> >> >>> and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several

>> hours.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in

>> >> another

>> >> >> >>> town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park

>> and

>> >> said

>> >> >> >>> he

>> >> >> >>> did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I

>> told

>> >> him

>> >> >> >>> that

>> >> >> >>> it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said,

>> >> " But I

>> >> >> >>> want

>> >> >> >>> to be where the other kids are. " That's pretty big coming

>> from

>> >> >> him!

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know.

>> You

>> >> >> can't

>> >> >> >>> believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is

>> >> pretty

>> >> >> >>> much

>> >> >> >>> a direct quote from him, " I get a lot more done in a lot

>> less

>> >> >> time,

>> >> >> >>> and

>> >> >> >>> I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with

>> >> other

>> >> >> >>> kids. I also get to see Baby more. "

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering

>> socially.

>> >> I

>> >> >> >>> used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the

>> >> >> >>> playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not

>> >> enough

>> >> >> >>> time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30

>> minute

>> >> >> lunch

>> >> >> >>> he got where he could have spent time talking with other

>> kids

>> >> was

>> >> >> a

>> >> >> >>> loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was

>> >> too

>> >> >> >>> much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to

>> >> line

>> >> >> up

>> >> >> >>> and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay

>> >> attention to

>> >> >> >>> the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When

>> other

>> >> kids

>> >> >> >>> talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in

>> >> the

>> >> >> day

>> >> >> >>> devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on

>> the

>> >> >> >>> spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest

>> of

>> >> the

>> >> >> >>> day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for

>> doing

>> >> so

>> >> >> >>> made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids

>> for

>> >> >> doing

>> >> >> >>> it. They were told to read a book when they got done with

>> desk

>> >> >> work -

>> >> >> >>> not talk to others.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about

>> >> this. I

>> >> >> >>> don't think it is for every family or every kid but it

>> always

>> >> >> gets my

>> >> >> >>> underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like

>> >> >> homeschooled

>> >> >> >>> kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a

>> >> family

>> >> >> >>> is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool.

>> I

>> >> >> don't

>> >> >> >>> think every time a homeschool family is struggling with

>> >> >> socialization

>> >> >> >>> that public school is the solution, either.

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >>> >

>> >> >> >>> > How does he get contact with other kids while being

>> >> >> homeschooled?

>> >> >> >>> >

>> >> >> >>> > Roxanna

>> >> >> >>> > Autism Happens

>> >> >> >>>

>> >> >> >

>> >> >> > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on

>> >> Travel.

>> >> >> >

>> >> > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative

>> >> vehicles.

>> >> > Visit the Auto Green Center.

>> > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck

>> > in the all-new Beta.

> oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web

> links.

Guest guest

He never did the magnetic letters at school - only at home - to prepare

for test day. I have no idea how or why using magnetic letters helped

him write the words correctly. I read it in a book designed to help

kids struggling, did it one week, and that was all it took. He came

home with that first 100%, and he was so proud of himself.

>

> ,

> This make so much sense! My son has atrocious spelling habits on

> paper! He does much better when he spells aloud or when he types the

> words. He HATES the repetition of writing each of spelling words 3

> times! Sometimes EACH spelling would be different! LOL Magnetic

> letters will probably NOT be an option for my son since the school is

> so stuck on his IQ! I am writing down all of the suggestions that I

am

> seeing on this board... just so that I can see what works the best

for

> my son!

>

> Thanks,

> Jackie

Guest guest

Last year when Ethan was 8 he accused the person pitching the ball of

trying to get him out - this is coach pitched ball - so the coach was

actually on his team. It did not make a difference to him. LOL.

>

> Robin,

>

> Too bad... we would be a pretty good match too. Our kids are all

> pretty much the same age... except I have 3 children and you have

4!

> My daughters are 8 and 4!

>

> Oh well... we can still " talk " here! I think it's wonderful that I

can

> see that there are other children out there that do the same thing

as

> mine. It's hard sometimes to realize that he has a DX because he's

so

> smart and other times I have a hard time believing that he really

is

> 10.5 years old!

>

> I just picked him up from Summer Enrichment School and he was so

> agitated. Dodge Ball was the issue today! Seems that he was the

> target of some children's aggression, or at least in his eyes he

was!

>

> Jackie

Guest guest

This is the craziest stuff I have ever heard!

Teachers are SUPPOSED to assess children before they

start teaching them and TEACH THEM AT THEIR LEVEL!!!!

General ed or special ed, it doesn't matter, this is

what good teachers do. It is nuts to make a child do

tons of work on a level way below their ability. I

assess them before we start, every two weeks to make

sure we are making progress, and at the end to see how

far we went! There is not even a general ed class

that has all students on the same level (unless they

previously tested them and then grouped them according

to level!)

WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY DOING TO YOUR KID?????

I would go crazy too if it was me! I feel so sorry

for them!

Kaye

--- and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote:

> Hi.

> My son was given the " right " to do extra work

> AFTER HIS GRADE-LEVEL work was done, too. He got so

> bored and mad that he had to do double the work. At

> first, we were all trying to figure out why he was

> getting so mad (and why he would simply shut down

> and suddenly wouldn't do either

> work),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then it " dawned " on me and we

> chatted with the teacher.

> What they decided was that if he coud do the

> end-of-chapter " review " .............(usually

> 1sheet/2sheets),,,,,then he would simply do " his

> level " when everyone else did " their level " .

> ------------------------------

>

> He's always had a rough time with writing as well.

> He presses so hard that sometimes the sheets would

> rip.

> He received OT and was told he could do anything

> that required writing, on a computer.

> They did let him have an Alpha Smart at

> school,,,,,,but it seemed too hard to actually

> quickly SEE what he was doing.

> Sometimes, the room " helper " would write what he

> said for him. I did this at home for him, too.

> They weren't saying that he didn't have to learn

> how to write,,,,,,,,,,,he did have to....and they

> worked on his sensory issues with the

> pressure,,,,,,but they also acknowledged that it was

> rough for him.

> (One of my things to try to get him to be aware of

> his " grip and pressure " was to always find new and

> cool pencils. This thrilled him..........probably

> too much, though,,,,,,,,cause he would be mesmerized

> if there was a new feel/design........hee hee.

> Sigh.

> Oh - and I'm no expert,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,since

> he's basically doing double the work(at

> home?),,,,,,,,,could you have him do " his level "

> work and if things are going good once that's done,

> perhaps have him try the " boring " stuff? That way,

> if he doesn't do it both, at least he's proven that

> he grasps where his level is at. ???? Then, explain

> to the teacher (if it didn't all get done) that it

> just isn't fair for him to have double). Explain

> that " gifted " doesn't mean " want more

> work " ,,,,,,,,,,,

> I just remember the boredom and anger my son had

> with the " boring " work. Makes me sad for him when I

> think about how long he had to do both.

> Good luck.

> Robin

>

> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

> ,

>

> Yes.. the school makes him do rewrites... I'm guilty

> of it myself

> BEFORE I knew of the AS! I'm going to ask for a

> dysgraphia evaluation!

> We'll see out that goes. likes his gifted

> class, but I'm sure

> he would love to go even further! He's in the 4th

> grade but functions

> academically on a 6-7 grade level. So there's only

> so much he can do

> in the public school system. I also feel that he is

> being " punished "

> because he can not have enrichment work until he

> completes the current

> grade work. He feels this is a waste of his time and

> gets days behind

> and loses recess(which he could really care less

> about)or the send him

> to the library... which he LOVES! He usually gets

> good grades but

> HATES all of the homework that he has to do. It's

> such a battle to get

> him to do the homework. Sometimes I physically have

> to hold him at the

> table... which I hate to do!

>

> As for hating writing... he has always disliked. He

> has a bad pencil

> grip and I was told by the school OT that it was too

> late to change it.

> I have been trying to get this corrected since first

> grade... bad

> experience there!

>

> I'm learning so much for you guys! Glad that I found

> this group.

>

> Jackie

> On Jun 18, 2007, at 2:32 PM, LJL wrote:

>

> > Everybody uses something different. My second son

> (not diagnosed on

> > the spectrum) was evaluated as gifted. It's nice

> to allow him to go

> > as far forward as he needs. His 'gifted' class was

> doing nothing for

> > him academically.

> >

> > Even if you stay in the school, I would ask that

> the school stop

> > making him do so many rewrites - which is my

> 'guess' as to why your

> > son hates to write so much.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Absolutely, Marie. Sometimes it isn't the right answer. I know for most of elementary, the program that my ds got was really good. I couldn't have done it all myself.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:

Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/852 - Release Date: 17/06/2007 8:23 AM

Guest guest

Thank you so much for inviting me. If things go south, I will definitely give you a call! It is nice to know there are good options out there. It sounds so nice the way you can arrange your days and be involved in what they are reading too. My ds is also gifted and between that and the learning problems he has, he just never gets what he needs, KWIM? They can't stop and focus on things where he needs help and more work plus, he could fly through other things and not be bored if he didn't have to plod through with the rest of the class. He was always getting corrected in math this past year because he would fall asleep. The teacher video taped the classes and put them on the net for the kids. Heck, even I was bored. lol.

Do you ever use computer technology to help Ethan with writing? I think I am going to get some creative writing software that will help both my younger two boys put stories and reports together.

Oh yeah, are you using the scholarship? And are you doing any special programming for social skill help - like speech or group?

RoxannaAutism Happens

Roxanna, IF, and trust me, I am not giving you ANY pressure here, you want to explore socialization from a homeschool perspective this summer so you can compare, PLEASE come to one of our Wadsworth playgroups. Kids really get to play with eachother or be on their own - whatever they want - some kids do legos at a table - and the age ranges are from like my youngest son's age of 1 to older kids aged 15. It's just so relaxing, and a marvelous way to see how normal your kid can really be in the right setting. In our group there are now 6 families of the 31 who have diagnosed kids on the spectrum, and based on what I have seen, more. Not all of these families come to the T group as it is inconvenient, but the group serves a purpose of joining ecclectic people (people who wish for a non-religious and non-political group).You asked about reading. We are in summer mode right now, and sit down work across the summer is a requirement for gamecube, computer fun, and tv time. I don't direct what they read, but I do require them to read. I also require math and language arts. Unlike the local school who skipped around Ethan's third grade math book without really completing it, we are doing it in its entirety. He won't be done for another month, and then he'll just get started on the 4th grade one. Because of Ethan's LD in language, I also do a lesson per day. He is still not capitalizing holidays, for example. For him, this will take simple repetition. Although Ethan clearly has a language disability that is apparent in his writing, he has SO MUCH imagination. This is coming out while I work with him on HOW to write. He is allowed a great deal of freedom to just get words out on paper without having to rewrite EVERYTHING (something the school did so much to him that he stopped writing).During the 'school year' I required them to read a chapter and write a summary of each chapter per day. Two of those books had to be re-written and perfected for a report, but the others I left alone. I used them to show improvement in grammar and spelling. I also took five words that were mispelled and added these words to their standard spelling list of 15.This past year I picked books from a list that was supposed to teach moral development in a non-religious and fiction format. Next year, I am going to pick junior classics from a book list provided by 'The Well-Educated Mind."This past year I took the school's curriculum in regards to science, math, spelling, LA, and reading (got the stuff off of Amazon). I'll do this again next year.When got done with his science book in February, I told him to pick any subject he wanted in science, and he chose rocks and minerals. I still required an hour 2-3 times a week in science, but since he had finished the required curriculum it did not matter to me what he picked. I only test the required stuff, though. They could be sitting there and pretending to read, but I don't think that is happening because they spontaneously say things that let me know they are picking up stuff.I think eschools can work for people. I think child-led learning (unschooling) can work for people. You have to find the right match between the child and parent(s). It works for me to do the local school's curriculum. Anyway, hopefully middle school will work well for you, and this won't be an issue. But if you see it's not going well, trust in yourself! And know at least in our area there is a lot of support for people educating and socializing their kids at home.

Guest guest

Hi Robin,

Well, just the art of playing a game was hard for my ds. But four square caused problems because some of the craftier or more athletic kids would do things like throw the ball at their feet, then yell, "You're out! You kicked it!" Well, nobody could NOT kick it. lol. Or they would throw the ball very hard to the very tip/corner and nobody could recover from that. Another thing they did that rattled our ds was to bounce it so hard, it went over his head. Each of these kinds of problems caused him to melt down. He would scream "It's not fair!" and eventually, he would run from the game, screaming and hide under the bleachers, so upset. I finally went to recess each day so I could try and run interference with him. I tried to show him that these kids were not picking on him specifically - but they were doing those tricks to all the kids. It didn't matter to him. He just can't understand why others won't play "the right way". Each time I arrived and saw him already lined up for four square, I just wanted to run screaming. What was yours?

RoxannaAutism Happens

We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen after noon often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of homeschool afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities happen after noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because truly, so many things are educational that are not sit down structured workbook stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for example that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off with that. On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and is reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to devote to their interests because once their workbooks are done, they are on their own to do things. Back in March opted to research rocks and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's. Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, and participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had them in the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and did the zoo club.We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We met on T nights to hike during the public school year - now we are meeting throughout the week at various times. Last week we even went on two hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three kids. Another hike with two families that have four kids.Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other homeschool kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's ecclectic) and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several hours.We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in another town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park and said he did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I told him that it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said, "But I want to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming from him!Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. You can't believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is pretty much a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot less time, and I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with other kids. I also get to see Baby more."I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering socially. I used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not enough time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 minute lunch he got where he could have spent time talking with other kids was a loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was too much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to line up and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay attention to the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When other kids talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in the day devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on the spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest of the day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for doing so made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids for doing it. They were told to read a book when they got done with desk work -not talk to others. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about this. I don't think it is for every family or every kid but it always gets my underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like homeschooled kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a family is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. I don't think every time a homeschool family is struggling with socialization that public school is the solution, either.>> How does he get contact with other kids while being homeschooled?> > Roxanna> Autism Happens

Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on Travel.

Guest guest

The middles school here does have recess. It's not really long enough to do much but hang out. But even that can cause problems.

RoxannaAutism Happens

> The good thing about middle school is that lunch and recess are total >of 30 minutes and only once a day.>>>>>>>>>>>WOW your middle school still has recess??? When I went to Middle School eons ago we did not have recess. And next year when my son goes there is NO recess.I find that strange that they only get 30 minutes for both. I mean they need atleast 20 minutes to eat. Here ours get 45 minutes for both so that means they get 20 minutes to eat and 25 minutes for recess.Marj

Guest guest

I was told by my NT daughter's 2nd grade teacher that by Law (No child

left behind act) that all children whether they were gifted or not had

to complete all current grade level work. So both of my children... my

typical daughter and my AS son both had to do their current grade level

before getting enrichment. They are both given PRE tests for spelling

and given an alternative spelling list. They are supposed to do this

with Math but I have not seen any evidence that my son or daughter for

that matter gets a different math assignment. I know they receive

enrichment ON TOP of their regular work. It's difficult for me as a

parent no matter which of my children it involves to realize that they

have to " dumb " themselves down and complete work that their peers are

doing.

Another think I just " love " (sarcasm here) is how excited the teachers

get for my children to come to school during TCAP testing. One of my

son's teachers actually told me that they needed his scores to benefit

the class!! SO my smart children are used to make the overall test

scores look better... disappointing to me!!

Jackie

On Jun 19, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Kaye Bates wrote:

> This is the craziest stuff I have ever heard!

> Teachers are SUPPOSED to assess children before they

> start teaching them and TEACH THEM AT THEIR LEVEL!!!!

> General ed or special ed, it doesn't matter, this is

> what good teachers do. It is nuts to make a child do

> tons of work on a level way below their ability. I

> assess them before we start, every two weeks to make

> sure we are making progress, and at the end to see how

> far we went! There is not even a general ed class

> that has all students on the same level (unless they

> previously tested them and then grouped them according

> to level!)

>

> WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY DOING TO YOUR KID?????

>

> I would go crazy too if it was me! I feel so sorry

> for them!

>

> Kaye

> --- and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote:

>

>> Hi.

>> My son was given the " right " to do extra work

>> AFTER HIS GRADE-LEVEL work was done, too. He got so

>> bored and mad that he had to do double the work. At

>> first, we were all trying to figure out why he was

>> getting so mad (and why he would simply shut down

>> and suddenly wouldn't do either

>> work),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then it " dawned " on me and we

>> chatted with the teacher.

>> What they decided was that if he coud do the

>> end-of-chapter " review " .............(usually

>> 1sheet/2sheets),,,,,then he would simply do " his

>> level " when everyone else did " their level " .

>> ------------------------------

>>

>> He's always had a rough time with writing as well.

>> He presses so hard that sometimes the sheets would

>> rip.

>> He received OT and was told he could do anything

>> that required writing, on a computer.

>> They did let him have an Alpha Smart at

>> school,,,,,,but it seemed too hard to actually

>> quickly SEE what he was doing.

>> Sometimes, the room " helper " would write what he

>> said for him. I did this at home for him, too.

>> They weren't saying that he didn't have to learn

>> how to write,,,,,,,,,,,he did have to....and they

>> worked on his sensory issues with the

>> pressure,,,,,,but they also acknowledged that it was

>> rough for him.

>> (One of my things to try to get him to be aware of

>> his " grip and pressure " was to always find new and

>> cool pencils. This thrilled him..........probably

>> too much, though,,,,,,,,cause he would be mesmerized

>> if there was a new feel/design........hee hee.

>> Sigh.

>> Oh - and I'm no expert,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,since

>> he's basically doing double the work(at

>> home?),,,,,,,,,could you have him do " his level "

>> work and if things are going good once that's done,

>> perhaps have him try the " boring " stuff? That way,

>> if he doesn't do it both, at least he's proven that

>> he grasps where his level is at. ???? Then, explain

>> to the teacher (if it didn't all get done) that it

>> just isn't fair for him to have double). Explain

>> that " gifted " doesn't mean " want more

>> work " ,,,,,,,,,,,

>> I just remember the boredom and anger my son had

>> with the " boring " work. Makes me sad for him when I

>> think about how long he had to do both.

>> Good luck.

>> Robin

>>

>> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

>> ,

>>

>> Yes.. the school makes him do rewrites... I'm guilty

>> of it myself

>> BEFORE I knew of the AS! I'm going to ask for a

>> dysgraphia evaluation!

>> We'll see out that goes. likes his gifted

>> class, but I'm sure

>> he would love to go even further! He's in the 4th

>> grade but functions

>> academically on a 6-7 grade level. So there's only

>> so much he can do

>> in the public school system. I also feel that he is

>> being " punished "

>> because he can not have enrichment work until he

>> completes the current

>> grade work. He feels this is a waste of his time and

>> gets days behind

>> and loses recess(which he could really care less

>> about)or the send him

>> to the library... which he LOVES! He usually gets

>> good grades but

>> HATES all of the homework that he has to do. It's

>> such a battle to get

>> him to do the homework. Sometimes I physically have

>> to hold him at the

>> table... which I hate to do!

>>

>> As for hating writing... he has always disliked. He

>> has a bad pencil

>> grip and I was told by the school OT that it was too

>> late to change it.

>> I have been trying to get this corrected since first

>> grade... bad

>> experience there!

>>

>> I'm learning so much for you guys! Glad that I found

>> this group.

>>

>> Jackie

>> On Jun 18, 2007, at 2:32 PM, LJL wrote:

>>

>>> Everybody uses something different. My second son

>> (not diagnosed on

>>> the spectrum) was evaluated as gifted. It's nice

>> to allow him to go

>>> as far forward as he needs. His 'gifted' class was

>> doing nothing for

>>> him academically.

>>>

>>> Even if you stay in the school, I would ask that

>> the school stop

>>> making him do so many rewrites - which is my

>> 'guess' as to why your

>>> son hates to write so much.

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

>>>

Guest guest

Thanks Roxanna I appreciate that! I found homeschooling frustrating, discouraging, and very isolating. Plus I was home all day and all night on my own with 3 ASD children and there were days when it was just awful! My hubby was working full time and commuting over an hrs drive one way to get to his job.

Although our schools are far from perfect, it has been the best solution for us as well. Now that my most challenging twin has some ABA services provided by the school it is even better than before and he has accomplished so much this year that we never thought possible. He has succeeded in getting off the special needs bus and riding a regular school bus, plus he has succeeded in adding almost 1.5 hrs to his school day, arriving home with his twin brother on the "Big Boy Bus" as we call it and taking a full day of schooling. Also some of that extra time has been without TA support which has gone well too. His independence has increased and he feels like he fits in better too. He was starting to notice that he was different from his brother particularly and he didn't like it, so that helped to prompt the change. Also both boys managed to learn to tie their shoes this year as well, which is great as they will attend middle school in the fall.

We had a lot of goals for our sons this year and the school really worked with us to help see those accomplished. It was a wonderful school year. My boys actually both joined cross country as well and this the 1st year that my Autisitic son has tried it at all, and the 3rd year for my Aspie son. It was so cool to watch them run (or try) although they came in last place they were the most cheered on of any of the students there.

I know that I have to do homework for them at separate times and I can just imagine that homeschooling them would be the same way so I would end up running 2 separate homeschooling timeframes as they can't sit at the table together and both focus. Oh man what a lot of hours that would be. They need to be separated in order to be schooled which the school can do so much easier than I can here at home.

For us it is not an option.

Marie

www.freedom4families.com

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:

Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/852 - Release Date: 17/06/2007 8:23 AM

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.1/854 - Release Date: 19/06/2007 1:12 PM

Guest guest

I need to find something like this to help my DS! He can usually spell

out loud pretty well, but can not spell anything hardly on paper! I

used to think it was just being in to big of a hurry, but now I know

different. He does spell phonetically though! So at least (if you

could read his handwriting) you could figure out what the word was! LOL

It seems like a lot of what needs to be done is a trial and error

thing. IS this how it works?

Jackie

On Jun 19, 2007, at 2:59 PM, LJL wrote:

> He never did the magnetic letters at school - only at home - to prepare

> for test day. I have no idea how or why using magnetic letters helped

> him write the words correctly. I read it in a book designed to help

> kids struggling, did it one week, and that was all it took. He came

> home with that first 100%, and he was so proud of himself.

>

>

>

>

>>

>> ,

>> This make so much sense! My son has atrocious spelling habits on

>> paper! He does much better when he spells aloud or when he types the

>> words. He HATES the repetition of writing each of spelling words 3

>> times! Sometimes EACH spelling would be different! LOL Magnetic

>> letters will probably NOT be an option for my son since the school is

>> so stuck on his IQ! I am writing down all of the suggestions that I

> am

>> seeing on this board... just so that I can see what works the best

> for

>> my son!

>>

>> Thanks,

>> Jackie

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Funny, no wonder Conner scores below grade level in Spelling !!! He

spells phonetically too, and paper and writing are BIG issues for him.

Nobody else - school staff-seems to see that however. UGH !!!

Kim

Conner 10 yo, AS/ADD/ BP ?? going into 5TH- where ???

Guest guest

I hear ya. Ian came back from the pool angry that other people kept taking the ball from him when he was playing catch with someone. I said, "hey....that's nice that others wanted to play though, right?" He said that they were taking the ball and basically "teasing" him and the other kid,,,,saying, "oh,,,,you want the ball?" and laughing. He's getting down about the whole thing. Why can't people teach their kids to be nice? Pisses me off. I want to always be "right there" to ward off the bullies.....to let them SEE that I'm right there as to not mess with him,,,,,,,,,,yet I feel like he's got to get used to this,,,,,,,ya know? Doesn't that sound horrible? If it was up to me,,,,,which,,,I know - it is,,,,,,,but if he didn't want to go over to the pool or want to be by others sometimes,,,,,he'd be better off. Or maybe it's ME who'd be better

off? Breaks my heart. Little mean shits. Robin <hunebear3@...> wrote: Robin,Too bad... we would be a pretty good match too. Our kids are all pretty much the same age... except I have 3 children and you have 4! My daughters are 8 and 4!Oh well... we can still "talk" here! I think it's wonderful that I can see that there are other children out there that do the same thing as mine. It's hard sometimes to realize that he has a DX because he's so smart and other times I have a hard time believing that he really is 10.5 years old!I just picked him up from Summer Enrichment School and he was so agitated. Dodge Ball was the issue today! Seems that he was the target of some children's aggression, or at least in his eyes he

was!JackieOn Jun 19, 2007, at 2:10 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:> Hi.> We're in Wisconsin. Shoot. Oh well. hee hee.> Ian just turned 11 last month. (9 yr old daughter, 7 yr old son and 5 > yr old daughter, too) > Robin>>> wrote:>> I WISH!! I live in TN... not sure where you are! My son is 10.5...>> how old is yours?>>>> Every time I read a post that sounds like my situation... I>> think..."maybe they live near me"! I know one thing this group is>> making me want to reach out to locals with AS and see what sort of>> support groups that I can find. I know there are several with in a 30>> minute drive! It would be "nice" to be with other families that have>> children just like mine... that would be treated "normally"! I hate>> those awful

stares at the grocery store when my son throws himself >> down>> on the floor OR is screeching at me about How I mistreat him and how >> he>> has an awful life and it's worthless! I told one woman that tried to>> help me with some "advice" to mind her own business and until she had>> walked a day in MY shoes to keep her mouth shut! That didn't go over>> too well either... but she did walk away! LOL>>>> Jackie>> On Jun 19, 2007, at 7:38 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>>>> > Oh Jackie.>> > PLEASE tell me that your son is about my son's age and that you live>> > near me!!!!!>> > Ha ha......sob.>> > Why can't any of us live near eachother?????>> > Robin>> >>> > wrote:>> >> Robin,>> >> Your son sounds like mine! If

anyone touches/bumps him he yells >> that>> >> they hit him 100 times! He slumps over and acts like he just got >> the>> >> heck beat out of him. OMG let's talk about when he loses in a >> game...>> >> Same response as your son... "It's not fair, I don't want to play >> your>> >> stupid game anyway". My son YES's me when we talk about the >> incidents>> >> after the fact. He's got his learned responses down... but doesn't>> >> understand WHY he's saying them!>> >>>> >> My son doesn't have any friends either! SO sad!>> >>>> >> Jackie>> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 3:37 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >>>> >> > If my son and another kid go for a ball and God-forbid, my son>> >> doesn't>>

>> > end up with it,,,,,or something just-as-bad - gets knocked over >> or>> >> > "touched" or hurt in any way, he's yelling that they hurt him and>> >> that>> >> > the game is stupid and starts to growl and his head sinks into >> his>> >> > shoulders.........it's awful.>> >> > We're really working on this now.....ugh.>> >> > As far as 4-square.......well,,,,,,,,,,it seems the boys will do >> the>> >> > different "passes" and make it hard for eachother and try to get>> >> > eachother "out"....>> >> > Well,,,,,,Ian freaks when he gets out.......saying they aren't>> >> playing>> >> > fair. It's sad, actually.>> >> > He just does't "comprehend" AT THE TIME that THAT'S how the

game>> >> goes.>> >> > He gets it later,,,,,after we chat. But,,,,by then, the damage >> is>> >> > done. No one wants to play.................I kinda don't blame>> >> them.>> >> > Sigh.>> >> > Robin >> >> >>> >> > wrote:>> >> >> I have "tag" issues! My son tags just a little too hard... then>> >> has to>> >> >> sit down the rest of Recess!!>> >> >>>> >> >> Jackie>> >> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 12:45 PM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:>> >> >>>> >> >> > We had "4-square" nightmares, too!!!!!>> >> >> > What was yours?>> >> >> > Robin>> >> >>

>>> >> >> > Roxanna wrote:>> >> >> >> Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just >> wondered>> >> >> what>> >> >> >> kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like>> >> there>> >> >> >> are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much >> better. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do>> >> because>> >> >> >> they like to read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you>> >> require>> >> >> >> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds is>> >> >> really>> >> >> >> into computers and

gaming. My biggest problem will be having>> >> him>> >> >> do>> >> >> >> other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be>> >> >> >> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just >> that it>> >> >> will>> >> >> >> take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you>> >> have>> >> >> >> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that>> >> >> subject? >> >> >> >> Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or>> >> >> >> presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them>> >> read>> >> >> >> whatever subject they want that week? Do you use

virtual>> >> school or>> >> >> >> do you homeschool from "scratch?" >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens >> to>> >> my>> >> >> ds,>> >> >> >> 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one >> "group">> >> >> and>> >> >> >> then outright struggling in some situations like the "four>> >> square">> >> >> >> nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good >> thing>> >> >> about>> >> >> >> middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30 >> minutes>> >> and>> >> >> >> only once a day. Still, I

worry. I want to see if they can>> >> have>> >> >> him>> >> >> >> work in the office or help with something instead of just >> wander>> >> >> >> around trying to play. And even then, he might get mad and >> feel>> >> >> he's>> >> >> >> being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like the>> >> >> others. >> >> >> >> So we will have to watch how we set things up. Who knows. >> >> Middle>> >> >> >> school is really the land of the unknown even having gone>> >> through>> >> >> it>> >> >> >> already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even makes it worse>> >> >> because I>> >>

>> >> know what can happen and go wrong. >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >> Roxanna>> >> >> >> Autism Happens>> >> >> >>> Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen >> after>> >> >> noon>> >> >> >>> often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of>> >> >> homeschool>> >> >> >>> afternoon PE

classes, for example. Our social activities >> happen>> >> >> >>> after>> >> >> >>> noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because>> >> truly,>> >> >> so>> >> >> >>> many things are educational that are not sit down structured>> >> >> workbook>> >> >> >>> stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for>> >> >> example>> >> >> >>> that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off >> with>> >> >> >>> that.>> >> >> >>> On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and>> >> >> >> >> is>> >> >> >>> reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time

to>> >> devote to>> >> >> >>> their interests because once their workbooks are done, they>> >> are on>> >> >> >>> their own to do things. Back in March opted to >> research>> >> >> rocks>> >> >> >>> and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, >> and>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>> participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had>> >> them>> >> >> in>> >> >> >>> the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and >> >> did>> >> >> the>> >> >>

>>> zoo club.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We>> >> met>> >> >> on>> >> >> >>> T>> >> >> >>> nights to hike during the public school year - now we are>> >> meeting>> >> >> >>> throughout the week at various times. Last week we even >> went on>> >> >> two>> >> >> >>> hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three>> >> kids.>> >> >> >>> Another hike with two families that have four kids.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other>> >> >> homeschool>> >>

>> >>> kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's>> >> >> >>> ecclectic)>> >> >> >>> and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several >> hours.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in>> >> another>> >> >> >>> town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park >> and>> >> said>> >> >> >>> he>> >> >> >>> did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I >> told>> >> him>> >> >> >>> that>> >> >> >>> it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said,>> >> "But I>> >> >> >>>

want>> >> >> >>> to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming >> from>> >> >> him!>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. >> You>> >> >> can't>> >> >> >>> believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is>> >> pretty>> >> >> >>> much>> >> >> >>> a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot >> less>> >> >> time,>> >> >> >>> and>> >> >> >>> I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with>> >> other>> >> >> >>> kids. I also get to see Baby more.">> >> >>

>>>>> >> >> >>> I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering >> socially.>> >> I>> >> >> >>> used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the>> >> >> >>> playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not>> >> enough>> >> >> >>> time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 >> minute>> >> >> lunch>> >> >> >>> he got where he could have spent time talking with other >> kids>> >> was>> >> >> a>> >> >> >>> loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was>> >> too>> >> >> >>> much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to>> >> line>>

>> >> up>> >> >> >>> and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay>> >> attention to>> >> >> >>> the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When >> other>> >> kids>> >> >> >>> talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in>> >> the>> >> >> day>> >> >> >>> devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on >> the>> >> >> >>> spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest >> of>> >> the>> >> >> >>> day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for >> doing>> >> so>> >> >> >>> made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids >>

for>> >> >> doing>> >> >> >>> it. They were told to read a book when they got done with >> desk>> >> >> work ->> >> >> >>> not talk to others.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about>> >> this. I>> >> >> >>> don't think it is for every family or every kid but it >> always>> >> >> gets my>> >> >> >>> underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like>> >> >> homeschooled>> >> >> >>> kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a>> >> family>> >> >> >>> is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. >>

I>> >> >> don't>> >> >> >>> think every time a homeschool family is struggling with>> >> >> socialization>> >> >> >>> that public school is the solution, either.>> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>>>> >> >> >>> >> >> >> >>> >>> >> >> >>> > How does he get contact with other kids while being>> >> >> homeschooled?>> >> >> >>> >>> >> >> >>> > Roxanna>> >> >> >>> > Autism Happens>> >> >> >>>>> >> >>

>>> >> >> > Need a vacation? Get great deals to amazing places on >> >> Travel.>> >> >> >>> >> > Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative>> >> vehicles.>> >> > Visit the Auto Green Center.>> > You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck>> > in the all-new Beta.> oneSearch: Finally, mobile search that gives answers, not web > links.

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

lol :) scuse me but your kid's teacher is FULL OF IT.

No Child Left Behind applies to me too since it is

national, so I know something about that! If your

child comes to school on the first day, the teacher

assesses him/her on the standards for your state, for

whatever they must be " proficient " in by the end of

the year...Let's say your kid tests " proficient " on

the first day. There is NO requirement they do work

on which they are already proficient! Any teacher

that had that situation would then

say...hmmm...obviously this kid needs to MOVE ON. And

they would design work that went after whatever

standards the child is not yet proficient in (even if

it was the next higher grade level standards). NCLB

can allow some teachers to just get lazy (no excuse

for this!) But their job is to get their whole class

proficient on whatever grade level standards. If they

are lazy, that's all they care about. If they are

TEACHERS, they take their students from whatever point

they are starting from and move them ahead. As far as

their potential and abilities will let them travel in

a year. Your kid's teacher is LAZY. UGH. There are

no two kids the same, they are all over the map

(especially in general ed classes, not just special

ed). Any competent teacher already knows this and

does not just do ONE THING. A good teacher meets the

needs of all students. (And that means, teaching in

multiple ways of learning styles and intelligences).

Kaye

--- <hunebear3@...> wrote:

> I was told by my NT daughter's 2nd grade teacher

> that by Law (No child

> left behind act) that all children whether they were

> gifted or not had

> to complete all current grade level work. So both

> of my children... my

> typical daughter and my AS son both had to do their

> current grade level

> before getting enrichment. They are both given PRE

> tests for spelling

> and given an alternative spelling list. They are

> supposed to do this

> with Math but I have not seen any evidence that my

> son or daughter for

> that matter gets a different math assignment. I

> know they receive

> enrichment ON TOP of their regular work. It's

> difficult for me as a

> parent no matter which of my children it involves to

> realize that they

> have to " dumb " themselves down and complete work

> that their peers are

> doing.

>

> Another think I just " love " (sarcasm here) is how

> excited the teachers

> get for my children to come to school during TCAP

> testing. One of my

> son's teachers actually told me that they needed his

> scores to benefit

> the class!! SO my smart children are used to make

> the overall test

> scores look better... disappointing to me!!

>

> Jackie

> On Jun 19, 2007, at 6:46 PM, Kaye Bates wrote:

>

> > This is the craziest stuff I have ever heard!

> > Teachers are SUPPOSED to assess children before

> they

> > start teaching them and TEACH THEM AT THEIR

> LEVEL!!!!

> > General ed or special ed, it doesn't matter, this

> is

> > what good teachers do. It is nuts to make a child

> do

> > tons of work on a level way below their ability.

> I

> > assess them before we start, every two weeks to

> make

> > sure we are making progress, and at the end to see

> how

> > far we went! There is not even a general ed class

> > that has all students on the same level (unless

> they

> > previously tested them and then grouped them

> according

> > to level!)

> >

> > WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE THEY DOING TO YOUR KID?????

> >

> > I would go crazy too if it was me! I feel so

> sorry

> > for them!

> >

> > Kaye

> > --- and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...>

> wrote:

> >

> >> Hi.

> >> My son was given the " right " to do extra work

> >> AFTER HIS GRADE-LEVEL work was done, too. He got

> so

> >> bored and mad that he had to do double the work.

> At

> >> first, we were all trying to figure out why he

> was

> >> getting so mad (and why he would simply shut down

> >> and suddenly wouldn't do either

> >> work),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then it " dawned " on me and

> we

> >> chatted with the teacher.

> >> What they decided was that if he coud do the

> >> end-of-chapter " review " .............(usually

> >> 1sheet/2sheets),,,,,then he would simply do " his

> >> level " when everyone else did " their level " .

> >> ------------------------------

> >>

> >> He's always had a rough time with writing as

> well.

> >> He presses so hard that sometimes the sheets

> would

> >> rip.

> >> He received OT and was told he could do

> anything

> >> that required writing, on a computer.

> >> They did let him have an Alpha Smart at

> >> school,,,,,,but it seemed too hard to actually

> >> quickly SEE what he was doing.

> >> Sometimes, the room " helper " would write what

> he

> >> said for him. I did this at home for him, too.

> >> They weren't saying that he didn't have to

> learn

> >> how to write,,,,,,,,,,,he did have to....and they

> >> worked on his sensory issues with the

> >> pressure,,,,,,but they also acknowledged that it

> was

> >> rough for him.

> >> (One of my things to try to get him to be aware

> of

> >> his " grip and pressure " was to always find new

> and

> >> cool pencils. This thrilled

> him..........probably

> >> too much, though,,,,,,,,cause he would be

> mesmerized

> >> if there was a new feel/design........hee hee.

> >> Sigh.

> >> Oh - and I'm no

> expert,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,since

> >> he's basically doing double the work(at

> >> home?),,,,,,,,,could you have him do " his level "

> >> work and if things are going good once that's

> done,

> >> perhaps have him try the " boring " stuff? That

> way,

> >> if he doesn't do it both, at least he's proven

> that

> >> he grasps where his level is at. ???? Then,

> explain

> >> to the teacher (if it didn't all get done) that

> it

> >> just isn't fair for him to have double). Explain

> >> that " gifted " doesn't mean " want more

> >> work " ,,,,,,,,,,,

> >> I just remember the boredom and anger my son

> had

> >> with the " boring " work. Makes me sad for him

> when I

> >> think about how long he had to do both.

> >> Good luck.

> >> Robin

> >>

> >> <hunebear3@...> wrote:

> >> ,

> >>

> >> Yes.. the school makes him do rewrites... I'm

> guilty

> >> of it myself

> >> BEFORE I knew of the AS! I'm going to ask for a

> >> dysgraphia evaluation!

> >> We'll see out that goes. likes his gifted

> >> class, but I'm sure

> >> he would love to go even further! He's in the 4th

> >> grade but functions

> >> academically on a 6-7 grade level. So there's

> only

> >> so much he can do

> >> in the public school system. I also feel that he

> is

> >> being " punished "

> >> because he can not have enrichment work until he

> >> completes the current

> >> grade work. He feels this is a waste of his time

> and

> >> gets days behind

> >> and loses recess(which he could really care less

> >> about)or the send him

> >> to the library... which he LOVES! He usually gets

> >> good grades but

> >> HATES all of the homework that he has to do. It's

> >> such a battle to get

> >> him to do the homework. Sometimes I physically

> have

> >> to hold him at the

> >> table... which I hate to do!

> >>

> >> As for hating writing... he has always disliked.

> He

> >> has a bad pencil

> >> grip and I was told by the school OT that it was

> too

> >> late to change it.

> >> I have been trying to get this corrected since

> first

> >> grade... bad

> >> experience there!

> >>

> >> I'm learning so much for you guys! Glad that I

> found

> >> this group.

> >>

> >> Jackie

> >> On Jun 18, 2007, at 2:32 PM, LJL wrote:

> >>

> >>> Everybody uses something different. My second

> son

> >> (not diagnosed on

> >>> the spectrum) was evaluated as gifted. It's nice

> >> to allow him to go

>

=== message truncated ===

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows.

Answers - Check it out.

http://answers./dir/?link=list & sid=396545433

Guest guest

Liz, Do you live in San Diego (when you are in CA?)...we are visiting there in August. Pam :)See what's free at AOL.com.

Guest guest

>

> Do you ever use computer technology to help Ethan with writing? I

think I am going to get some creative writing software that will help

both my younger two boys put stories and reports together.

No, but I would love to learn more about this - I never knew there were

programs like that!

> Oh yeah, are you using the scholarship? And are you doing any

special programming for social skill help - like speech or group?

Not yet. Maybe not ever. I was so burned by the school I just had to

get away. It has been nice not having to think about IEP's and MFE's

and a judgemental guidance counselor. Ethan did go to Derga in the

Spring and will probably go to the Friendship Club at Children's in the

Fall (paid out of pocket even though I know the autism scholarship

would cover it). I got some books on helping kids with speech, and I

was able to get Ethan to become more clear in his L's (he was not

tensing his tongue). I don't know how to make his pragmatic language

better, but the school had him for 1.5 years and he did not improve in

anything speech related there. He also speechs with a nasal tone.

I wish I could get my insurance to cover speech.

Guest guest

I'm glad, and I do mean this sincerely, that you found what worked

best for your family!

> Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be

homeschooling one next

> school year because the reg schools are not meeting his

needs properly.

>

> Christian

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

--

> Building a website is a piece of cake.

> Small Business gives you all the tools to get

online.

>

--

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release

Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

>

>

>

>

>

------

> Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from

someone who knows.

> Answers - Check it out.

>

>

>

------

>

>

> Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/852 - Release

Date: 17/06/2007 8:23 AM

>

>

>

>

>

>

----------

>

>

> Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.1/854 - Release Date:

19/06/2007 1:12 PM

>

Guest guest

Yes. I think for me it was an epiphany(sp?) when I realized that my

son COULD spell. We had worked so hard on his list - we did it how the

school wanted him to do it. He wrote the words in alphabetical order,

created sentences, wrote the words twice, did word searches, etc. We

took hours to do this - time that I pushed off doing things with my

other kids - so I took his failure personally. He took the test, came

home on a F with his 3rd or 4th NI, and the school told me that M they

wanted to give him easier words. I was SO ANGRY - at myself and at

Ethan. I felt, and I am being honest here, like my son was a complete

moron (sorry - like I said, being honest). I took the list that he had

done badly on, and verbally asked him how to spell the words. He got

14 out of 15 correct.

I told the school on T that my son COULD spell, and that we as a team

was just going to have to figure out how to get what was in his head on

paper. They were willing to let him spell his words outloud, when we

came across the magnetic letter technique on W in a book. We put the

power into Ethan's hands to study.

We let him take the test on paper one more time (and then were going to

start doing it outloud the week after), and that was the last time we

ever heard about his needing a modified list. Like I said - I have NO

idea why just seeing letters in the correct order makes him write them

correctly.

For me, the epiphany was that no - my son was not a moron - I was a

moron for trying to teach him only using traditional means and ASSuming

that he could learn that way. I also learned that the school could not

be relied on to come up with these alternative methods (the school

tutor had never heard of using magnetic letters). She also borrowed

all my brain gym stuff when I explained how I got Ethan to stop

reversing letters (crossing the midline stuff).

>

> I need to find something like this to help my DS! He can usually

spell

> out loud pretty well, but can not spell anything hardly on paper! I

> used to think it was just being in to big of a hurry, but now I know

> different. He does spell phonetically though! So at least (if you

> could read his handwriting) you could figure out what the word was!

LOL

>

> It seems like a lot of what needs to be done is a trial and error

> thing. IS this how it works?

> Jackie

Guest guest

The OT is wrong. A lot of these kids can write when they "focus" and "take their time" but that is a short term happening. It is also true for everyone else, lol. I mean, compare how you write your name when you have plenty of time vs when you are signing a check in the grocery with kids screaming and a long line of tired looking people behind you. So that excuse doesn't even hold water.

These kids can often have a problem with stamina - the ability to keep it up for a long enough period of time to complete writing tasks. Also, if the child has been writing a lot that day, then when asked to write a paper, they won't do as well as when they haven't been writing all day. This produces that wonderful inconsistency so that the teachers/therapists can say, "He could do it if he wanted to - look he did just great yesterday." A good OT would work on improving finger/hand strength to increase the amount of time they can handle writing.

A good article discussing how this might work in kids with autism is titled, "Balancing the Tray." I love this article and hand it out to people like candy at school. <g> http://www.assew.org/articles/balancing_the_tray.htm It doesn't pertain to handwriting but it does discuss the concept of how these kids have only so much available before they are out.

RoxannaAutism Happens

and Robin,THese are both EXCELLENT suggestions! I have never thought about it being a "right" to do extra work.... BUT is I take the time to look at from an aspie's point of view... I can see exactly why he would be so ticked off! The "extra" work doesn't effect my NT child!! LOLI'm not sure that I like the alpha smart either... because you can't see if he is spelling the words correctly or using the correct grammar, etc... until it's printed out. I know when he does homework at home recently.. I let him use the computer and he types it out and then we talk about what's incorrect. He grumbles that he has to do it over, but it's easier for him on the computer.I don't think he has any other issues with the handwriting except for the grip issue. The school OT blamed his inability to focus on the "real" reason he couldnt' write neatly. SHe said he could do it if he took his time! I KNOW he can... but a simple list of spelling words that would take my 7 year 10 minutes to write neatly... could take him more than an hour. He obvious struggles to form each letter the right way and you can look at him and tell he is visibly frustrated. I will try the pencil idea... we go through a lot of pencils anyway because my son likes to bite the eraser and we "think" eat them! I haven't actually caught him swallowing them... but we NEVER find the end of the eraser anywhere! SO unless he has a collection stashed somewhere, then he is eating them.JackieOn Jun 19, 2007, at 7:35 AM, and/or Robin Lemke wrote:

Hi.My son was given the "right" to do extra work AFTER HIS GRADE-LEVEL work was done, too. He got so bored and mad that he had to do double the work. At first, we were all trying to figure out why he was getting so mad (and why he would simply shut down and suddenly wouldn't do either work),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,then it "dawned" on me and we chatted with the teacher.What they decided was that if he coud do the end-of-chapter "review".............(usually 1sheet/2sheets),,,,,then he would simply do "his level" when everyone else did "their level".------------------------------ He's always had a rough time with writing as well. He presses so hard that sometimes the sheets would rip.He received OT and was told he could do anything that required writing, on a computer.They did let him have an Alpha Smart at school,,,,,,but it seemed too hard to actually quickly SEE what he was doing.Sometimes, the room "helper" would write what he said for him. I did this at home for him, too.They weren't saying that he didn't have to learn how to write,,,,,,,,,,,he did have to....and they worked on his sensory issues with the pressure,,,,,,but they also acknowledged that it was rough for him.(One of my things to try to get him to be aware of his "grip and pressure" was to always find new and cool pencils. This thrilled him..........probably too much, though,,,,,,,,cause he would be mesmerized if there was a new feel/design........hee hee. Sigh.Oh - and I'm no expert,,,,,,,,,,,but,,,,,,,,,since he's basically doing double the work(at home?),,,,,,,,,could you have him do "his level" work and if things are going good once that's done, perhaps have him try the "boring" stuff? That way, if he doesn't do it both, at least he's proven that he grasps where his level is at. ???? Then, explain to the teacher (if it didn't all get done) that it just isn't fair for him to have double). Explain that "gifted" doesn't mean "want more work",,,,,,,,,,, I just remember the boredom and anger my son had with the "boring" work. Makes me sad for him when I think about how long he had to do both.Good luck.Robin <hunebear3@...> wrote:

,Yes.. the school makes him do rewrites... I'm guilty of it myselfBEFORE I knew of the AS! I'm going to ask for a dysgraphia evaluation!We'll see out that goes. likes his gifted class, but I'm surehe would love to go even further! He's in the 4th grade but functionsacademically on a 6-7 grade level. So there's only so much he can do in the public school system. I also feel that he is being "punished"because he can not have enrichment work until he completes the currentgrade work. He feels this is a waste of his time and gets days behindand loses recess(which he could really care less about)or the send himto the library... which he LOVES! He usually gets good grades butHATES all of the homework that he has to do. It's such a battle to gethim to do the homework. Sometimes I physically have to hold him at thetable... which I hate to do!As for hating writing... he has always disliked. He has a bad pencilgrip and I was told by the school OT that it was too late to change it. I have been trying to get this corrected since first grade... badexperience there!I'm learning so much for you guys! Glad that I found this group.JackieOn Jun 18, 2007, at 2:32 PM, LJL wrote:> Everybody uses something different. My second son (not diagnosed on> the spectrum) was evaluated as gifted. It's nice to allow him to go> as far forward as he needs. His 'gifted' class was doing nothing for> him academically.>> Even if you stay in the school, I would ask that the school stop> making him do so many rewrites - which is my 'guess' as to why your> son hates to write so much.>> >>>> >>>>>