RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Homeschooling ASpie kids

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would be interested in this information also!!

Jackie

On Jun 16, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Christian Rooney wrote:

> Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next

> school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.

>

> Christian

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'm getting ready to homeschool mine for the same

reason, and I am tired of fighting the wars.

You may be interested in a list of homeschoolers for

Asperger's kids. ASLearningAtHome on .

Kaye

--- Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote:

> Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be

> homeschooling one next

> school year because the reg schools are not meeting

> his needs properly.

>

> Christian

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I don't YET,,,,,but my 11 year old son with AS will be doing a "virtual school" come fall. RobinChristian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.ChristianRobin(Someday, we'll be judged by how we treat those who need us)

Be a PS3 game guru.Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Games.

Guest guest

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheck in the all-new Beta.

Guest guest

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

Guest guest

Hi, I homeschool my son who has asperger's through a virtual school. I do all the teaching, it's great. He has made tremendous progress with the one on one. Also, don't worry about the socialization. I think my son has more socialization now that we homeschool. This has been a wonderful fit for my son, our local school also was not meeting his needs. Becky Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

Be a better Globetrotter. Get better travel answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

I am a special ed teacher in the public school and I

have a child with Aspergers. I would most

respectfully disagree with what you have to say here.

Children with AS need POSITIVE social interactions and

sadly, much of the socialization they get at school is

very very negative. Children live in families. That

is socialization. They go to church. They take part

in scouts and other activities where they relate to

other people. Homeschooling does not mean your child

is existing in a cave. What it does mean is that the

parent has much more control over the kind of

socialization a child receives while they are

developing in social skills. Any parent that wants to

homeschool a child with Asperger's syndrome is already

aware of the socialization needs their children have.

There are many ways to meet those needs POSITIVELY and

in ways that do not do emotional damage to our

children. Some schools are great, some teachers are

great (I happen to think I am a very good teacher) but

that is not true in all cases. In many cases

homeschooling is a very good option for educating

children with autism and it should not be looked down

upon by anybody. I am a public school teacher who is

fed up with the sorry state of the education my child

is getting. She is not getting good teachers. She is

not in an emotionally safe setting. She is not even

getting educated, she is only getting warehoused. For

me to leave her there instead of homeschooling her

would be negligence as far as I am concerned. You

have to weigh the pros and cons. If public school is

doing a good job with your child, keep them there.

But if they are not, and if the bad things are way

more than the positives, there is nothing at all wrong

with homeschooling. Homeschooling parents achieve

higher test scores with their children all the time

than the public schools achieve.

Kaye

--- alicia stout <mrsastout@...> wrote:

> May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that

> aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie

> child too that the system is failing. It will make

> things worse if you homeschool him because he won't

> have the social interaction. Education wise it would

> help but you might and to send him back to school or

> he will have to go out into the world and he won't

> be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread

> the post and this is not your child maybe you could

> talk to the parent.

>

> Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote:

> Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will

> be homeschooling one next

> school year because the reg schools are not meeting

> his needs properly.

>

> Christian

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with

> AutoCheck

> in the all-new Beta.

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Sick sense of humor? Visit TV's

Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when.

http://tv./collections/222

Guest guest

I wasn't so gung ho about homeschooling years ago but I have really been learning more and more as time goes on. I agree with your post regarding socialization. When my ds was a junior, he stopped going to school. He simply could not go any longer. So we ended up having him tutored to finish his classes. This continued on during his senior year as well. He took all his classes, just had them 1-1 with a tutor outside of the school. I was amazed at how well he did in the new setting vs. what he was able to do in the old setting. The old setting was large, loud, confusing. He did not do well socially so that added high anxiety to the situation. He has CAPD and dyslexia - both reducing his ability to listen and learn in a class setting. He was getting poor grades all around. In the 1-1 setting, he did fantastic. He got all A's and a few B's. His last quarter gpa was 3.67. I realized he was finally be graded on what he knew and could do vs. being graded on his disabilities.

I do miss that he didn't get to go to the prom or be in a club. But you know, he is so shy that it's likely he wasn't going to do that anyway and our high school is so huge, it was not like a small school where he could bond with a group of kids he saw each period. Who knows. But it was the right decision for him and it did work out for him academically. I wish now we had taken him out several years earlier when the problems really started happening. I will not be so hesitant to find alternatives for my other ds should the need arise.

You really are at the mercy of whatever teacher your kid ends up with each year. Some years are so great, you want to clone that teacher! Other years are dismal and you will wonder how much more you can take/your kid can take. Too bad there isn't more consistency that way.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids

I am a special ed teacher in the public school and Ihave a child with Aspergers. I would mostrespectfully disagree with what you have to say here. Children with AS need POSITIVE social interactions andsadly, much of the socialization they get at school isvery very negative. Children live in families. Thatis socialization. They go to church. They take partin scouts and other activities where they relate toother people. Homeschooling does not mean your childis existing in a cave. What it does mean is that theparent has much more control over the kind ofsocialization a child receives while they aredeveloping in social skills. Any parent that wants tohomeschool a child with Asperger's syndrome is alreadyaware of the socialization needs their children have. There are many ways to meet those needs POSITIVELY andin ways that do not do emotional damage to ourchildren. Some schools are great, some teachers aregreat (I happen to think I am a very good teacher) butthat is not true in all cases. In many caseshomeschooling is a very good option for educatingchildren with autism and it should not be looked downupon by anybody. I am a public school teacher who isfed up with the sorry state of the education my childis getting. She is not getting good teachers. She isnot in an emotionally safe setting. She is not evengetting educated, she is only getting warehoused. Forme to leave her there instead of homeschooling herwould be negligence as far as I am concerned. Youhave to weigh the pros and cons. If public school isdoing a good job with your child, keep them there. But if they are not, and if the bad things are waymore than the positives, there is nothing at all wrongwith homeschooling. Homeschooling parents achievehigher test scores with their children all the timethan the public schools achieve. Kaye--- alicia stout <mrsastout > wrote:> May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that> aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie> child too that the system is failing. It will make> things worse if you homeschool him because he won't> have the social interaction. Education wise it would> help but you might and to send him back to school or> he will have to go out into the world and he won't> be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread> the post and this is not your child maybe you could> talk to the parent. > > Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote: > Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will> be homeschooling one next > school year because the reg schools are not meeting> his needs properly.> > Christian> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with> AutoCheck> in the all-new Beta. __________________________________________________________Sick sense of humor? Visit TV's Comedy with an Edge to see what's on, when. http://tv./collections/222

Guest guest

I was very worried about the "social issue" myself. Then,,,,,realized that the socialization he was getting at school was horrible TO him. He would literally hunch his shoulders up around his head and shake..........clench the fists.......growl his replies..........not be able to look at anyone...........he'd get so angry. You could see the tension. This happened ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL and would "leave" as we were walking out the door. We did get him on Risperdal a couple of months ago so that he could get through school. I got tired of him doing fine academically yet constantly stuggling and failing to "fit". My son has Aspergers and ADHD and simply DOESN'T fit.......not the way he needs to to be able to "fit" in school. He does fit in life, yes. He's incredible wonderful.......it's just that no other kids his own age know that YET. I also hope that some day he will fit

enough to have a friend or more. While we'll have to work at getting him "out there" to still see people and socialize,,,,I think this will be easier if he and I choose where to do this...........I'm not really worried anymore about "making" him do what everyone else is doing. As adults, don't we all do what we HAVE TO,,,,,but after that,,,,do what we want, right? I hope we will be fine. But,,,,,,,,bottom line is........school sucked for him. I won't put him through what was obviously torture to him. Sorry for the book. Also, sorry if I sounded "mean" in my response.............didn't mean to. Just very passionate about this. Have a good one. Robinalicia stout <mrsastout@...> wrote: May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian You snooze, you lose. Get messages ASAP with AutoCheckin the all-new Beta.

Finding fabulous fares is fun.Let FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find flight and hotel bargains.

Guest guest

Hi there,

I so totally agree with what said. I have homeschooled my oldest daughter who is Aspergers and very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was miserable in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her needs. I have a college education so meeting her educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were able to do advanced work but her social skills deteriated dramatically and she became even more of a hermit than before. Although I included social activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't get her to attend those activities and she became increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her back in the school system for Grade 8 because it was so much better for her than homeschooling her.

Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have the homeschooling programs where kids meet together who are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My dd is my highest functioning and it was very very difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your child or you have been asked to homeschool another parent's child please reconsider.

Thank you

Marie

www.freedom4families.com

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:

Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

Guest guest

Somebody needs to go tell my homeschooled kid to stop having so much

fun with his friends, LOL. Instead of limited and spread out daily

contact with kids, he is getting hours and hours of daily contact with

kids. And, he doesn't have any homework at night - sure makes for some

nice evenings when daddy gets home. Daddy now gets to spend quality

time with kiddoes versus worrying about how has a test the next day.

>

> May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have

is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing.

It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have

the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and

to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and

he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post

and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent.

>

Guest guest

Sometimes a school just isn't a good fit, no matter how nice the teachers are. Could be that the kids are bullying a bit, or they make too much noise while changing classes, or the school bell that signals the end/beginning of class is too loud, the list goes on and on. My son's last school was in the flight path of the airport, and he constantly had his fingers in his ears to block out airplane noise.What I REALLY wanted to say was Roxanna, HURRAY FOR DS on his spectacular finish to the year! That's really super!Best wishes,LizOn Jun 17, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Roxanna wrote:I wasn't so gung ho about homeschooling years ago but I have really been learning more and more as time goes on.  I agree with your post regarding socialization.  When my ds was a junior, he stopped going to school.  He simply could not go any longer.  So we ended up having him tutored to finish his classes.  This continued on during his senior year as well.  He took all his classes, just had them 1-1 with a tutor outside of the school.  I was amazed at how well he did in the new setting vs. what he was able to do in the old setting.  The old setting was large, loud, confusing.  He did not do well socially so that added high anxiety to the situation.  He has CAPD and dyslexia - both reducing his ability to listen and learn in a class setting.  He was getting poor grades all around.  In the 1-1 setting, he did fantastic.  He got all A's and a few B's.  His last quarter gpa was 3.67.  I realized he was finally be graded on what he knew and could do vs. being graded on his disabilities.  I do miss that he didn't get to go to the prom or be in a club.  But you know, he is so shy that it's likely he wasn't going to do that anyway and our high school is so huge, it was not like a small school where he could bond with a group of kids he saw each period.  Who knows.  But it was the right decision for him and it did work out for him academically.  I wish now we had taken him out several years earlier when the problems really started happening.  I will not be so hesitant to find alternatives for my other ds should the need arise.  You really are at the mercy of whatever teacher your kid ends up with each year.  Some years are so great, you want to clone that teacher!  Other years are dismal and you will wonder how much more you can take/your kid can take.  Too bad there isn't more consistency that way.  Roxann

Guest guest

It's all in how you do it and what plan you make. My

child is so excited as we have many outside activities

planned: horseback riding lessons (group), pottery

class (group), swimming classes (group), etc. She

participates in many group activities at our church.

She is happy because she has friends in all these

areas and her social interactions are so much more

positive. It's too bad you couldn't find more social

activities for your child but that is not a reason

other people can't do it.

Kaye

--- Marie Downey <rmdowney@...> wrote:

> Hi there,

>

> I so totally agree with what said. I have

> homeschooled my oldest daughter who is Aspergers and

> very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was miserable

> in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her

> needs. I have a college education so meeting her

> educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were

> able to do advanced work but her social skills

> deteriated dramatically and she became even more of

> a hermit than before. Although I included social

> activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't

> get her to attend those activities and she became

> increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her

> back in the school system for Grade 8 because it was

> so much better for her than homeschooling her.

>

> Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have the

> homeschooling programs where kids meet together who

> are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and

> class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My

> dd is my highest functioning and it was very very

> difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your

> child or you have been asked to homeschool another

> parent's child please reconsider.

>

> Thank you

> Marie

> www.freedom4families.com

>

>

>

> Re: ( ) Homeschooling

> ASpie kids

>

>

> May I give you some advice? The biggest problem

> that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an

> aspie child too that the system is failing. It will

> make things worse if you homeschool him because he

> won't have the social interaction. Education wise it

> would help but you might and to send him back to

> school or he will have to go out into the world and

> he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If

> i misread the post and this is not your child maybe

> you could talk to the parent.

>

> Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote:

>

>

> Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be

> homeschooling one next

> school year because the reg schools are not

> meeting his needs properly.

>

> Christian

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Building a website is a piece of cake.

> Small Business gives you all the tools to

> get online.

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 -

> Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Got a little couch potato?

Check out fun summer activities for kids.

http://search./search?fr=oni_on_mail & p=summer+activities+for+kids & cs=bz

Guest guest

I totally disagree with this. Maybe down the road when my daughter is older, I might agree.... I can't say for sure as she is just 6 yrs old. But our experience with the schools have been that they set her up for failure in every area--moreso socially. Holding my daughter down as she won't go to timeout as she meltsdown repeatedly during the day hurts her chances of socializing with other children. The children were scared of her and very nervous around her. She was looked upon as the troublemaker in every class or the "bad" one. Homeschooling is a breeze as 1:1 she learns well and pays attention much better than in a classroom of 28 children. Socially--we have playdates but I also sign her up for activities. She just finished up a tapdance class. She just started softball a couple of weeks ago. We meet with other homeschool families for trips to the zoo, and other places. I have signed her up for a social skills group

beginning soon. We go to the library at least twice a week--once for storytime. Not to mention all the field trips we take and errands. Summer camp is set for August and Girl Scouts just ended last month. She did have piano lessons but I need to find another teacher for that as the one she had moved away. She was in a parade with the GS (with me) and will be in the upcoming 4th of july parade. I actually think we are on the go too much!! It is hard to take her to these places. There are more bad days than good at times. But she loves to be around other children and I hope one day she will be able to do these things without so many meltdowns. I get discouraged but I continue. I absolutely don't think the school was doing a better job at it as they were not working on socialization at all there. Or helping her deal with how to interact with peers. They would discipline her and that was it. I think that her self esteem

which has always been very high would suffer in that environment of her being the "bad" kid. The difference I guess is that my daughter who is high functioning as well WANTS to socialize with other kids but then she has meltdowns and gets upset so easily over little things. Or over transitions or doesn't follow the rules or doesn't understand the social rules.Marie Downey <rmdowney@...> wrote: Hi there, I so totally agree with what said. I have homeschooled my oldest daughter who is Aspergers and very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was miserable in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her needs. I have a college education so meeting her educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were able to do advanced work but her social skills deteriated dramatically and she became even more of a hermit than before. Although I included social activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't get her to attend those activities and she became increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her back in the school system for Grade 8 because it was so much better for her than homeschooling her. Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have the homeschooling programs

where kids meet together who are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My dd is my highest functioning and it was very very difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your child or you have been asked to homeschool another parent's child please reconsider. Thank you Marie www.freedom4families.com Re: ( ) Homeschooling ASpie kids May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian

Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote: Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian Building a website is a piece of cake. Small Business gives you all the tools to get online. No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

Guest guest

How does he get contact with other kids while being homeschooled?

RoxannaAutism Happens

Somebody needs to go tell my homeschooled kid to stop having so much fun with his friends, LOL. Instead of limited and spread out daily contact with kids, he is getting hours and hours of daily contact with kids. And, he doesn't have any homework at night - sure makes for some nice evenings when daddy gets home. Daddy now gets to spend quality time with kiddoes versus worrying about how has a test the next day.>> May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. >

Guest guest

Thanks! I am so proud of him! When he first couldn't make it to school, I was so worried and upset about the situation. Everything worked out in the end. Sometimes you just have to go forward and have faith that something good will turn up along the way.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Sometimes a school just isn't a good fit, no matter how nice the teachers are. Could be that the kids are bullying a bit, or they make too much noise while changing classes, or the school bell that signals the end/beginning of class is too loud, the list goes on and on. My son's last school was in the flight path of the airport, and he constantly had his fingers in his ears to block out airplane noise.

What I REALLY wanted to say was Roxanna, HURRAY FOR DS on his spectacular finish to the year! That's really super!

Best wishes,

Liz

On Jun 17, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Roxanna wrote:

I wasn't so gung ho about homeschooling years ago but I have really been learning more and more as time goes on. I agree with your post regarding socialization. When my ds was a junior, he stopped going to school. He simply could not go any longer. So we ended up having him tutored to finish his classes. This continued on during his senior year as well. He took all his classes, just had them 1-1 with a tutor outside of the school. I was amazed at how well he did in the new setting vs. what he was able to do in the old setting. The old setting was large, loud, confusing. He did not do well socially so that added high anxiety to the situation. He has CAPD and dyslexia - both reducing his ability to listen and learn in a class setting. He was getting poor grades all around. In the 1-1 setting, he did fantastic. He got all A's and a few B's. His last quarter gpa was 3.67. I realized he was finally be graded on what he knew and could do vs. being graded on his disabilities.

I do miss that he didn't get to go to the prom or be in a club. But you know, he is so shy that it's likely he wasn't going to do that anyway and our high school is so huge, it was not like a small school where he could bond with a group of kids he saw each period. Who knows. But it was the right decision for him and it did work out for him academically. I wish now we had taken him out several years earlier when the problems really started happening. I will not be so hesitant to find alternatives for my other ds should the need arise.

You really are at the mercy of whatever teacher your kid ends up with each year. Some years are so great, you want to clone that teacher! Other years are dismal and you will wonder how much more you can take/your kid can take. Too bad there isn't more consistency that way.

Roxann

Guest guest

We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen after noon

often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of homeschool

afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities happen

after

noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because truly, so

many things are educational that are not sit down structured workbook

stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for example

that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off with

that.

On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and is

reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to devote to

their interests because once their workbooks are done, they are on

their own to do things. Back in March opted to research rocks

and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's.

Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, and

participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had them in

the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and did the

zoo club.

We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We met on

T

nights to hike during the public school year - now we are meeting

throughout the week at various times. Last week we even went on two

hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three kids.

Another hike with two families that have four kids.

Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other homeschool

kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's

ecclectic)

and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several hours.

We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in another

town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park and said

he

did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I told him

that

it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said, " But I

want

to be where the other kids are. " That's pretty big coming from him!

Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. You can't

believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is pretty

much

a direct quote from him, " I get a lot more done in a lot less time,

and

I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with other

kids. I also get to see Baby more. "

I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering socially. I

used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the

playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not enough

time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 minute lunch

he got where he could have spent time talking with other kids was a

loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was too

much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to line up

and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay attention to

the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When other kids

talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in the day

devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on the

spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest of the

day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for doing so

made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids for doing

it. They were told to read a book when they got done with desk work -

not talk to others.

Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about this. I

don't think it is for every family or every kid but it always gets my

underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like homeschooled

kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a family

is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. I don't

think every time a homeschool family is struggling with socialization

that public school is the solution, either.

>

> How does he get contact with other kids while being homeschooled?

>

> Roxanna

> Autism Happens

Guest guest

I think agree with others, generally the largest issue with the higher functioning kids is the social interaction. I just don't think that you can give that to your kids while homeschooling. It might be a good option for some, but I wouldn't recommend it generally. For us, the "programmed" social time wouldn't be all that beneficial, as DS does very very well with adult guided activities. He doesn't do well with engaging and enduring with other kids. He can't seem to get a handle on doing it appropriately. He has trouble with carrying on a conversation or correctly adapting to social cues (he, oddly enough, can read them, even interpret them most of the time---ie. joe is angry at me---but doesn't seem to be able to correctly adapt to them.) He just can't get the "practice" he needs and the input/feedback about the interactions via scheduled group lessons. Typically conversations tend to be

discouraged, as you're working on the tasks and need to hear the instructor. To the OP, is there any way you could keep up the fight in the school district and augment his education at home instead of completely home-schooling? Kaye Bates <kcbates2003@...> wrote: It's all in how you do it and what plan you make. Mychild is so excited as we have many outside activitiesplanned: horseback riding lessons (group), potteryclass (group), swimming classes

(group), etc. Sheparticipates in many group activities at our church. She is happy because she has friends in all theseareas and her social interactions are so much morepositive. It's too bad you couldn't find more socialactivities for your child but that is not a reasonother people can't do it. Kaye--- Marie Downey <rmdowneyrogers> wrote:> Hi there,> > I so totally agree with what said. I have> homeschooled my oldest daughter who is Aspergers and> very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was miserable> in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her> needs. I have a college education so meeting her> educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were> able to do advanced work but her social skills> deteriated dramatically and she became even more of> a hermit than before. Although I included

social> activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't> get her to attend those activities and she became> increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her> back in the school system for Grade 8 because it was> so much better for her than homeschooling her. > > Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have the> homeschooling programs where kids meet together who> are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and> class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My> dd is my highest functioning and it was very very> difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your> child or you have been asked to homeschool another> parent's child please reconsider.> > Thank you> Marie> www.freedom4families.com> > > > Re: ( ) Homeschooling> ASpie kids> > > May I give you some advice? The biggest problem> that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an> aspie child too that the system is failing. It will> make things worse if you homeschool him because he> won't have the social interaction. Education wise it> would help but you might and to send him back to> school or he will have to go out into the world and> he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If> i misread the post and this is not your child maybe> you could talk to the parent. > > Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:> > > Does anyone homeschool an

aspie child? I will be> homeschooling one next > school year because the reg schools are not> meeting his needs properly.> > Christian> > > > > > >----------------------------------------------------------> Building a website is a piece of cake. > Small Business gives you all the tools to> get online.> > > > >----------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 -> Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM> __________________________________________________________Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids.http://search./search?fr=oni_on_mail & p=summer+activities+for+kids & cs=bz

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just wondered what kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like there are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much better.

When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do because they like to read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you require reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds is really into computers and gaming. My biggest problem will be having him do other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be impossible to put together new routines and rules - just that it will take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you have them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that subject? Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them read whatever subject they want that week? Do you use virtual school or do you homeschool from "scratch?"

The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens to my ds, 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one "group" and then outright struggling in some situations like the "four square" nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good thing about middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30 minutes and only once a day. Still, I worry. I want to see if they can have him work in the office or help with something instead of just wander around trying to play. And even then, he might get mad and feel he's being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out like the others. So we will have to watch how we set things up. Who knows. Middle school is really the land of the unknown even having gone through it already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even makes it worse because I know what can happen and go wrong.

RoxannaAutism Happens

We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen after noon often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of homeschool afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities happen after noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because truly, so many things are educational that are not sit down structured workbook stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for example that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off with that. On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and is reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to devote to their interests because once their workbooks are done, they are on their own to do things. Back in March opted to research rocks and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's. Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, and participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had them in the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and did the zoo club.We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We met on T nights to hike during the public school year - now we are meeting throughout the week at various times. Last week we even went on two hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three kids. Another hike with two families that have four kids.Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other homeschool kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's ecclectic) and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several hours.We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in another town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park and said he did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I told him that it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said, "But I want to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming from him!Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. You can't believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is pretty much a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot less time, and I get to spend more time doing what I want and playing with other kids. I also get to see Baby more."I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering socially. I used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not enough time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 minute lunch he got where he could have spent time talking with other kids was a loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was too much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to line up and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay attention to the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When other kids talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in the day devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on the spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest of the day? They might talk in line, but getting in trouble for doing so made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids for doing it. They were told to read a book when they got done with desk work -not talk to others. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about this. I don't think it is for every family or every kid but it always gets my underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like homeschooled kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a family is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. I don't think every time a homeschool family is struggling with socialization that public school is the solution, either.>> How does he get contact with other kids while being homeschooled?> > Roxanna> Autism Happens

Guest guest

Hi ,

I know for a fact that homeschooling would have gone better if my daughter had been younger plus we raised our dd with no help or support or dx at all, so we had no idea what was wrong with her and why she didn't fit in. We tried to find out when she was much younger, but she is 20 now and 15 yrs ago it was difficult to find out much about ASD, especially with females. Our dd didn't get her dx until 2 years after our twin boys were diagnosed and she was already 14 by then. The answer we received at that time from special services was "She is too mild to require any support" and that was it.

So even after the dx we were still doing things on our own for her and with her. It wasn't much help for us but it did give her a better understanding of who she was and why she did what she did, so in that sense it was worth it, but the disadvantage was it gave her excuses for her behaviour and she would take some advantage of being ASD to get out of doing things that she wasn't comfortable with. It became harder to get her involved in social activities and none of my family wants friends or wants to deal with people at all so I have to motivate them all. That can be very tiring. Unfortunately that was also the year we choose to homeschool her too plus I had ASD twins at home who at the time were only 4yrs old.

When one decides to homeschool there are tons of factors to determine the decision and these were some of the things that make homeschooling much more difficult, which is why I wanted to share. Sometimes it isn't the best answer.

Marie

www.freedom4families.com

May I give you some advice? The biggest problem that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an aspie child too that the system is failing. It will make things worse if you homeschool him because he won't have the social interaction. Education wise it would help but you might and to send him back to school or he will have to go out into the world and he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If i misread the post and this is not your child maybe you could talk to the parent. Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:

Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be homeschooling one next school year because the reg schools are not meeting his needs properly.Christian

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 - Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship answers from someone who knows. Answers - Check it out.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/852 - Release Date: 17/06/2007 8:23 AM

Guest guest

I want to clarify something, before it becomes an issue. I totally support parents in whatever choices they have made, and will continue to do so. Since this was before OP had implemented the homeschooling, I thought the feedback was important. Bonnett <zoemakes5@...> wrote: I think agree with others, generally the largest issue with the higher functioning kids is the social interaction. I just don't think that you can give that to your kids while homeschooling. It might be a

good option for some, but I wouldn't recommend it generally. For us, the "programmed" social time wouldn't be all that beneficial, as DS does very very well with adult guided activities. He doesn't do well with engaging and enduring with other kids. He can't seem to get a handle on doing it appropriately. He has trouble with carrying on a conversation or correctly adapting to social cues (he, oddly enough, can read them, even interpret them most of the time---ie. joe is angry at me---but doesn't seem to be able to correctly adapt to them.) He just can't get the "practice" he needs and the input/feedback about the interactions via scheduled group lessons. Typically conversations tend to be discouraged, as you're working on the tasks and need to hear the instructor. To the OP, is there any way you could keep up the fight in the school district and augment his education at home instead

of completely home-schooling? Kaye Bates <kcbates2003 > wrote: It's all in how you do it and what plan you make. Mychild is so excited as we have many outside activitiesplanned: horseback riding lessons (group), potteryclass (group), swimming classes (group), etc. Sheparticipates in many group activities at our church. She is happy because she has friends in all theseareas and her social interactions are so much morepositive. It's too bad you couldn't find more socialactivities for your child but that is not a reasonother people can't do it. Kaye--- Marie Downey <rmdowneyrogers> wrote:> Hi there,> > I so totally agree with what said. I have> homeschooled

my oldest daughter who is Aspergers and> very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was miserable> in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her> needs. I have a college education so meeting her> educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were> able to do advanced work but her social skills> deteriated dramatically and she became even more of> a hermit than before. Although I included social> activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't> get her to attend those activities and she became> increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her> back in the school system for Grade 8 because it was> so much better for her than homeschooling her. > > Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have the> homeschooling programs where kids meet together who> are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and> class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My>

dd is my highest functioning and it was very very> difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your> child or you have been asked to homeschool another> parent's child please reconsider.> > Thank you> Marie> www.freedom4families.com> > > > Re: ( ) Homeschooling> ASpie kids> > > May I give you some advice? The biggest problem> that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an> aspie child too that the system is failing. It will> make things worse if you homeschool him because he> won't have the social interaction. Education wise it> would help but you might and to send him back to>

school or he will have to go out into the world and> he won't be prepared. Just think about it first. If> i misread the post and this is not your child maybe> you could talk to the parent. > > Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000 > wrote:> > > Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be> homeschooling one next > school year because the reg schools are not> meeting his needs properly.> > Christian> > > > > > >----------------------------------------------------------> Building a website is a piece of cake. > Small Business gives you all the tools to> get online.> > > > >---------------------------------------------------------->

> > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 -> Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM> __________________________________________________________Got a little couch potato? Check out fun summer activities for kids.http://search./search?fr=oni_on_mail & p=summer+activities+for+kids & cs=bz Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Shape in your own image. Join our Network Research Panel today!

Guest guest

For me it is coming to the point of how do I want to

live my life? Do I want to spend years fighting out

legal battles? I have won the battles I have engaged

in but it has not helped my child. This is not how I

want to spend my life. I want to spend it teaching

children. And my child is not last in line.

It is completely possible to socialize your children

while homeschooling. You have to know what you are

doing, you have to meet your child's needs, and you

have to be proactive about it. Lots of people do

this. It is not a weird thing! There is a

group of parents that homeschool AS children.

Public school is doing damage to my child. From my

inside viewpoint of the system, it is completely not

fixable. If I, a special education teacher, who knows

the law, who knows what they are supposed to be doing,

cannot get them to do what is right for my child, it

is a very bad problem. I could spend my life battling

the system but my child needs an education right now.

So homeschooling is the option I choose. Like I told

you, there are many wonderful public school teachers

out there. My child had some when we lived in

Virginia. However, there are not as many where we are

living now, the school system here battles MS for last

place in the nation. We have to live here for family

reasons so I have to make the best choice for my

child. If I was to make a guess, there are way more

instances of public schools failing AS children then

there are of homeschooling parents failing them. My

child is going to get much further if I educate her.

If I leave her where she is now, she will not even get

a real high school diploma. THAT IS NOT AN OPTION.

Kaye

--- Bonnett <zoemakes5@...> wrote:

> I think agree with others, generally the largest

> issue with the higher functioning kids is the social

> interaction. I just don't think that you can give

> that to your kids while homeschooling. It might be

> a good option for some, but I wouldn't recommend it

> generally.

> For us, the " programmed " social time wouldn't be

> all that beneficial, as DS does very very well with

> adult guided activities. He doesn't do well with

> engaging and enduring with other kids. He can't

> seem to get a handle on doing it appropriately. He

> has trouble with carrying on a conversation or

> correctly adapting to social cues (he, oddly enough,

> can read them, even interpret them most of the

> time---ie. joe is angry at me---but doesn't seem to

> be able to correctly adapt to them.) He just can't

> get the " practice " he needs and the input/feedback

> about the interactions via scheduled group lessons.

> Typically conversations tend to be discouraged, as

> you're working on the tasks and need to hear the

> instructor.

>

> To the OP, is there any way you could keep up the

> fight in the school district and augment his

> education at home instead of completely

> home-schooling?

>

> Kaye Bates <kcbates2003@...> wrote:

> It's all in how you do it and what plan

> you make. My

> child is so excited as we have many outside

> activities

> planned: horseback riding lessons (group), pottery

> class (group), swimming classes (group), etc. She

> participates in many group activities at our church.

>

> She is happy because she has friends in all these

> areas and her social interactions are so much more

> positive. It's too bad you couldn't find more social

> activities for your child but that is not a reason

> other people can't do it.

>

> Kaye

> --- Marie Downey <rmdowney@...> wrote:

>

> > Hi there,

> >

> > I so totally agree with what said. I have

> > homeschooled my oldest daughter who is Aspergers

> and

> > very very HF, for Grade 7 because she was

> miserable

> > in middle school and the school wasn't meeting her

> > needs. I have a college education so meeting her

> > educational needs wasn't hard at all and we were

> > able to do advanced work but her social skills

> > deteriated dramatically and she became even more

> of

> > a hermit than before. Although I included social

> > activities in her homeschooling program I couldn't

> > get her to attend those activities and she became

> > increasingly frustrating. I ended up putting her

> > back in the school system for Grade 8 because it

> was

> > so much better for her than homeschooling her.

> >

> > Now I will add that our area in NB doesn't have

> the

> > homeschooling programs where kids meet together

> who

> > are being homeschooled for music, gym, art, and

> > class trips, so we were pretty much on our own. My

> > dd is my highest functioning and it was very very

> > difficult. I won't do it again. If this is your

> > child or you have been asked to homeschool another

> > parent's child please reconsider.

> >

> > Thank you

> > Marie

> > www.freedom4families.com

> >

> >

> >

> > Re: ( ) Homeschooling

> > ASpie kids

> >

> >

> > May I give you some advice? The biggest problem

> > that aspie kids have is social issues. I have an

> > aspie child too that the system is failing. It

> will

> > make things worse if you homeschool him because he

> > won't have the social interaction. Education wise

> it

> > would help but you might and to send him back to

> > school or he will have to go out into the world

> and

> > he won't be prepared. Just think about it first.

> If

> > i misread the post and this is not your child

> maybe

> > you could talk to the parent.

> >

> > Christian Rooney <wcrooneyfl2000@...> wrote:

> >

> >

> > Does anyone homeschool an aspie child? I will be

> > homeschooling one next

> > school year because the reg schools are not

> > meeting his needs properly.

> >

> > Christian

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

----------------------------------------------------------

> > Building a website is a piece of cake.

> > Small Business gives you all the tools to

> > get online.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

----------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > Version: 7.5.472 / Virus Database: 269.9.0/851 -

> > Release Date: 16/06/2007 12:50 PM

> >

>

>

> Got a little couch potato?

> Check out fun summer activities for kids.

>

http://search./search?fr=oni_on_mail & p=summer+activities+for+kids & cs=bz

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Shape in your own image. Join our Network

> Research Panel today!

____

Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.

http://searchmarketing./

Guest guest

Roxanna, IF, and trust me, I am not giving you ANY pressure here, you

want to explore socialization from a homeschool perspective this

summer so you can compare, PLEASE come to one of our Wadsworth

playgroups. Kids really get to play with eachother or be on their

own - whatever they want - some kids do legos at a table - and the

age ranges are from like my youngest son's age of 1 to older kids

aged 15. It's just so relaxing, and a marvelous way to see how

normal your kid can really be in the right setting. In our group

there are now 6 families of the 31 who have diagnosed kids on the

spectrum, and based on what I have seen, more. Not all of these

families come to the T group as it is inconvenient, but the group

serves a purpose of joining ecclectic people (people who wish for a

non-religious and non-political group).

You asked about reading. We are in summer mode right now, and sit

down work across the summer is a requirement for gamecube, computer

fun, and tv time. I don't direct what they read, but I do require

them to read. I also require math and language arts. Unlike the

local school who skipped around Ethan's third grade math book without

really completing it, we are doing it in its entirety. He won't be

done for another month, and then he'll just get started on the 4th

grade one. Because of Ethan's LD in language, I also do a lesson per

day. He is still not capitalizing holidays, for example. For him,

this will take simple repetition. Although Ethan clearly has a

language disability that is apparent in his writing, he has SO MUCH

imagination. This is coming out while I work with him on HOW to

write. He is allowed a great deal of freedom to just get words out

on paper without having to rewrite EVERYTHING (something the school

did so much to him that he stopped writing).

During the 'school year' I required them to read a chapter and write

a summary of each chapter per day. Two of those books had to be re-

written and perfected for a report, but the others I left alone. I

used them to show improvement in grammar and spelling. I also took

five words that were mispelled and added these words to their

standard spelling list of 15.

This past year I picked books from a list that was supposed to teach

moral development in a non-religious and fiction format. Next year,

I am going to pick junior classics from a book list provided by 'The

Well-Educated Mind. "

This past year I took the school's curriculum in regards to science,

math, spelling, LA, and reading (got the stuff off of Amazon). I'll

do this again next year.

When got done with his science book in February, I told him to

pick any subject he wanted in science, and he chose rocks and

minerals. I still required an hour 2-3 times a week in science, but

since he had finished the required curriculum it did not matter to me

what he picked. I only test the required stuff, though. They could

be sitting there and pretending to read, but I don't think that is

happening because they spontaneously say things that let me know they

are picking up stuff.

I think eschools can work for people. I think child-led learning

(unschooling) can work for people. You have to find the right match

between the child and parent(s). It works for me to do the local

school's curriculum.

Anyway, hopefully middle school will work well for you, and this

won't be an issue.

But if you see it's not going well, trust in yourself! And know at

least in our area there is a lot of support for people educating and

socializing their kids at home.

>

> Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just wondered

what kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like

there are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much better.

>

> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do because

they like to read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you require

reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds is really

into computers and gaming. My biggest problem will be having him do

other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be

impossible to put together new routines and rules - just that it will

take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you have

them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that subject?

Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or

presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them read

whatever subject they want that week? Do you use virtual school or

do you homeschool from " scratch? "

>

> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens to my

ds, 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one " group "

and then outright struggling in some situations like the " four

square " nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good

thing about middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30

minutes and only once a day. Still, I worry. I want to see if they

can have him work in the office or help with something instead of

just wander around trying to play. And even then, he might get mad

and feel he's being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out

like the others. So we will have to watch how we set things up.

Who knows. Middle school is really the land of the unknown even

having gone through it already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even

makes it worse because I know what can happen and go wrong.

>

> Roxanna

> Autism Happens

Guest guest

OK.. I have a question in regards to Homeschooling. IS there a

particular curriculum that everyone uses? My son is 10.5 and is in the

gifted program at school. He also has been dx with AS. He loves math

and science, HATES to write, loves to read!! They provide him with an

Alpha Smart at school so that he can type some of his written

assignments. With all of the talk about home schooling; I have felt

compelled to check into it as my son is pretty much only getting

negative social interaction at school. I do have other children and he

participates in Karate.

There's so much information out there that it's easy to get

overwhelmed... especially when you are already there!!

TIA<

Jackie

On Jun 18, 2007, at 11:43 AM, LJL wrote:

> Roxanna, IF, and trust me, I am not giving you ANY pressure here, you

> want to explore socialization from a homeschool perspective this

> summer so you can compare, PLEASE come to one of our Wadsworth

> playgroups. Kids really get to play with eachother or be on their

> own - whatever they want - some kids do legos at a table - and the

> age ranges are from like my youngest son's age of 1 to older kids

> aged 15. It's just so relaxing, and a marvelous way to see how

> normal your kid can really be in the right setting. In our group

> there are now 6 families of the 31 who have diagnosed kids on the

> spectrum, and based on what I have seen, more. Not all of these

> families come to the T group as it is inconvenient, but the group

> serves a purpose of joining ecclectic people (people who wish for a

> non-religious and non-political group).

>

> You asked about reading. We are in summer mode right now, and sit

> down work across the summer is a requirement for gamecube, computer

> fun, and tv time. I don't direct what they read, but I do require

> them to read. I also require math and language arts. Unlike the

> local school who skipped around Ethan's third grade math book without

> really completing it, we are doing it in its entirety. He won't be

> done for another month, and then he'll just get started on the 4th

> grade one. Because of Ethan's LD in language, I also do a lesson per

> day. He is still not capitalizing holidays, for example. For him,

> this will take simple repetition. Although Ethan clearly has a

> language disability that is apparent in his writing, he has SO MUCH

> imagination. This is coming out while I work with him on HOW to

> write. He is allowed a great deal of freedom to just get words out

> on paper without having to rewrite EVERYTHING (something the school

> did so much to him that he stopped writing).

>

> During the 'school year' I required them to read a chapter and write

> a summary of each chapter per day. Two of those books had to be re-

> written and perfected for a report, but the others I left alone. I

> used them to show improvement in grammar and spelling. I also took

> five words that were mispelled and added these words to their

> standard spelling list of 15.

>

> This past year I picked books from a list that was supposed to teach

> moral development in a non-religious and fiction format. Next year,

> I am going to pick junior classics from a book list provided by 'The

> Well-Educated Mind. "

>

> This past year I took the school's curriculum in regards to science,

> math, spelling, LA, and reading (got the stuff off of Amazon). I'll

> do this again next year.

>

> When got done with his science book in February, I told him to

> pick any subject he wanted in science, and he chose rocks and

> minerals. I still required an hour 2-3 times a week in science, but

> since he had finished the required curriculum it did not matter to me

> what he picked. I only test the required stuff, though. They could

> be sitting there and pretending to read, but I don't think that is

> happening because they spontaneously say things that let me know they

> are picking up stuff.

>

> I think eschools can work for people. I think child-led learning

> (unschooling) can work for people. You have to find the right match

> between the child and parent(s). It works for me to do the local

> school's curriculum.

>

> Anyway, hopefully middle school will work well for you, and this

> won't be an issue.

>

> But if you see it's not going well, trust in yourself! And know at

> least in our area there is a lot of support for people educating and

> socializing their kids at home.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>>

>> Thanks for writing all that. I agree with you. I just wondered

> what kinds of stuff you have found around here to do. Sounds like

> there are a lot of options really. That makes me feel much better.

>>

>> When the boys read in the afternoon - is this what they do because

> they like to read or do you direct it more. I mean, do you require

> reading time vs. time spent on computer games, etc. My ds is really

> into computers and gaming. My biggest problem will be having him do

> other things besides playing games. I don't think it will be

> impossible to put together new routines and rules - just that it will

> take effort. lol. Also, if you require reading time, do you have

> them pick a subject and then help them stay focused on that subject?

> Do you ask questions each day or have them write reports or

> presentations on what they are learning? Or do you let them read

> whatever subject they want that week? Do you use virtual school or

> do you homeschool from " scratch? "

>>

>> The playground scenes you describe are exactly what happens to my

> ds, 10 yo. He wanders around, never fitting in with any one " group "

> and then outright struggling in some situations like the " four

> square " nightmare we had the last few weeks of school. The good

> thing about middle school is that lunch and recess are total of 30

> minutes and only once a day. Still, I worry. I want to see if they

> can have him work in the office or help with something instead of

> just wander around trying to play. And even then, he might get mad

> and feel he's being punished if he isn't allowed to just hang out

> like the others. So we will have to watch how we set things up.

> Who knows. Middle school is really the land of the unknown even

> having gone through it already with the oldest ds! Maybe that even

> makes it worse because I know what can happen and go wrong.

>>

>> Roxanna

>> Autism Happens

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

. Wooo Hoooo! You "speak" very well. I think you were also talking about my son. Ha ha. RobinLJL <laura6307@...> wrote: We start at 8am. We are done by noon. Things that happen after noon often 'count' as educational - the boys were in 2 hours of homeschool afternoon PE classes, for example. Our social activities happen after noon as well. I put quotes around the word 'count' because truly, so many things are educational that

are not sit down structured workbook stuff. We belong to a homeschool nature journaling club for example that meets on a monthly basis, and the kids have taken off with that. On their own, Ethan is reading about the Middle East, and is reading about black-capped chickadees. They have time to devote to their interests because once their workbooks are done, they are on their own to do things. Back in March opted to research rocks and minerals. Ethan read about US in the 1800's. Anyway, back to social stuff. I keep them active in scouts, and participates in baseball. During the school year, I also had them in the after school PTA specials, so Ethan did chess and did the zoo club.We belong to a hiking club that has public schooled kids. We met on T nights to hike during the public school year - now we are meeting throughout the week at various times. Last week we even went

on two hikes the same day - one hike with a family that has three kids. Another hike with two families that have four kids.Every T afternoon we head to a local town and meet other homeschool kids. There are 30 families in this particular group (it's ecclectic) and 5-10 families show up each week to play for several hours.We also have weekly playdates with a homeschool family in another town. A couple of weeks ago Ethan came up to me at a park and said he did not want to play what the other kids were playing. I told him that it was ok - that he could do something else. He then said, "But I want to be where the other kids are." That's pretty big coming from him!Anyway, IF you decide to take your son home, let me know. You can't believe how Ethan has bloomed in this environment. This is pretty much a direct quote from him, "I get a lot more done in a lot less time, and I get to spend

more time doing what I want and playing with other kids. I also get to see Baby more."I don't believe for a minute that Ethan is suffering socially. I used to go to recess and watch him from my car circling the playground biting his coat in anxiety. 30 minutes was not enough time for him to relax and engage with others. The 20-30 minute lunch he got where he could have spent time talking with other kids was a loss on him as well. The environment was too loud. There was too much to watch. He liked to time how long it took classes to line up and leave. He liked to be first in line and would pay attention to the cues that his table was about to be dismissed. When other kids talked to him, he did not hear them. The final 15 minutes in the day devoted to recess - a joke for any kid let alone a child on the spectrum. As far as social interactions throughout the rest of the day? They might talk in line, but getting in

trouble for doing so made Ethan not only stop but get mad and yell at other kids for doing it. They were told to read a book when they got done with desk work -not talk to others. Anyway, sorry to go on and on, LOL - I am passionate about this. I don't think it is for every family or every kid but it always gets my underthings bunched up when somebody makes it seem like homeschooled kids are raised in bubbles. I don't think that every time a family is having trouble with the school they ought to homeschool. I don't think every time a homeschool family is struggling with socialization that public school is the solution, either.>> How does he get contact with other kids while being homeschooled?> > Roxanna> Autism

Happens

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.