RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Bad thing

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It's true - control is the language of the diet police which the diet rebel

knows all too well. And for me too, the moment I resist, the battle is lost.

Sigh.

Sandarah

> >

> > Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another

weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE,

but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is

concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans

getting tighter each day. I donated my " larger " jeans to a thrift store a couple

of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have

regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that

initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this " freedom " of no

restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so

nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is

seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

> >  

> > I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the

numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going

on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to

overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true " binges " , still I'm eating more

than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the

past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that,

the only thing preventing me from it.

> >  

> > I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to

we handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much

overtake us?

> >  

> > Ann

> >

>

Guest guest

It's true - control is the language of the diet police which the diet rebel

knows all too well. And for me too, the moment I resist, the battle is lost.

Sigh.

Sandarah

> >

> > Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another

weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE,

but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is

concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans

getting tighter each day. I donated my " larger " jeans to a thrift store a couple

of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have

regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that

initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this " freedom " of no

restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so

nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is

seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

> >  

> > I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the

numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going

on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to

overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true " binges " , still I'm eating more

than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the

past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that,

the only thing preventing me from it.

> >  

> > I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to

we handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much

overtake us?

> >  

> > Ann

> >

>

Guest guest

Ellie, sorry about your AT.  I hurt mine a while ago and it sure made walking hard.  I finally got relief from the podiatrist who gave me a heel lift for inside my shoe.  Hope you recover soon.  Sandy

Thank you, ladies! I'll stop at the library this morning and look for the book, after my physical therapy appointment. I've injured my Achilles tendon. This is bad news as an injured AT can interfere badly with what I do and set me back for months. Yesterday as I limped around I ate a handful of cookies about every time I went through the kitchen (started with " One won't hurt anything.....)

Ellie

To: IntuitiveEating_Support

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as " good " or " bad " .  Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey.  Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. 

I just asked myself:

Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Maybe I should read the IE book after all. Ellie

Guest guest

Ellie, sorry about your AT.  I hurt mine a while ago and it sure made walking hard.  I finally got relief from the podiatrist who gave me a heel lift for inside my shoe.  Hope you recover soon.  Sandy

Thank you, ladies! I'll stop at the library this morning and look for the book, after my physical therapy appointment. I've injured my Achilles tendon. This is bad news as an injured AT can interfere badly with what I do and set me back for months. Yesterday as I limped around I ate a handful of cookies about every time I went through the kitchen (started with " One won't hurt anything.....)

Ellie

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as " good " or " bad " .  Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey.  Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. 

I just asked myself:

Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Guest guest

Ellie

I just asked myself:

Guest guest

Ellie- what you are writing sounds EXACTLY like the was I was a year ago.

I want to tell you what happened tonight. I baked a Gooey chocolate yeast cake (with creamy filling and choc chips) for the weekend. It smelled good and I knew Id have some at some point of the weekend. Anyway I took it out of the oven and my husband wanted a slice. I gave it to him, seeing the insides all gooey etc. then I tasted 1 bite, was excellent.

It needed a few more mins so I put it back in and decided i must have a little when its done, even though Im not at all hungry, but skinny ppl eat when theyre full sometimes, right??? Anyway I came to check emails, drink some water at my desk, i forgot about the cake. And now I realize I dont really want any at all. I have ZERO interest in it. ! year ago I would have cut a HUGE slice, eaten it very quietly so my husband wont hear, and tell him the kids ate it. Im so happy not to be there anymore. I love IE land. READ THE BOOK!!!! Its a lifesaver.

To: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:26 AMSubject: Bad thing

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.

This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Maybe I should read the IE book after all.

Ellie

Guest guest

I want to tell you what happened tonight. I baked a Gooey chocolate yeast cake (with creamy filling and choc chips) for the weekend. It smelled good and I knew Id have some at some point of the weekend. Anyway I took it out of the oven and my husband wanted a slice. I gave it to him, seeing the insides all gooey etc. then I tasted 1 bite, was excellent.

It needed a few more mins so I put it back in and decided i must have a little when its done, even though Im not at all hungry, but skinny ppl eat when theyre full sometimes, right??? Anyway I came to check emails, drink some water at my desk, i forgot about the cake. And now I realize I dont really want any at all. I have ZERO interest in it. ! year ago I would have cut a HUGE slice, eaten it very quietly so my husband wont hear, and tell him the kids ate it. Im so happy not to be there anymore. I love IE land. READ THE BOOK!!!! Its a lifesaver.

To: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:26 AMSubject: Bad thing

This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Ellie

Guest guest

Ellie

Guest guest

hey everyone-

you can buy any book used on amazon. sometime as low as 1 cent! (plus $4 shipping!)

I bought a used IE but I think I will treat myself to a new copy soon. I treasure it!

(is that weird??)

To: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:33 PMSubject: Re: Re: Bad thing

Ellie, I hope your Achilles is going to be fine.

As for the books, it sounds as if your library and mine are on in the same. They never have a book I'm actually wanting, but they do interlibrary loans. I've resorted to those a time or two. Your library probably does the same and can borrow from another library for you.

You may be able to buy the IE book online at a decent price, also. I ordered mine at a decent price from ebay a long time ago. I've since gotten rid of it (kicking myself now). I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on books. I was fortunate to find a copy of Thin Within at a thrift store a few years ago. If I hadn't given it away already, I'd have been glad for you to have it. I made a copy of the principles from the book before getting rid of it. I also have the principles of IE saved, as well. I'll be happy to share them with you, if you'd like?

Ann

To: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support > Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:17 PMSubject: Re: Re: Bad thing

Thanks so much to all of you for your really supportive, helpful thoughts.

Physical therapy report on my Achilles is hopeful. Ill-timed flare-up of old injury. Stretching/strengthening exercises twice a day, therapist twice a week, I can walk as tolerated, but should wait on backpack training for my Appalachian Trail hike (which she thinks I can probably start as planned in May), additional weight wouldn't be good right now. This puts me, again, in "diet" mentality..... I'm already carrying the equivalent of a weekend pack just in extra body weight, shouldn't I lose that to take the stress off my feet?? I'm fighting with myself: my feet are used to my body weight but wouldn't be used to the equivalent in a backpack.

No running for 2 weeks.

GACK!!! I'll gain more weight.....

I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good nutrition. I am not going to weigh myself, I'll just panic.

I didn't get to check the files for books before I left. Library had nothing, absolutely nothing, resembling IE, Diets Don't Work, Thin Within, or any of the ones I've heard of. EVERYTHING was diet, diet, diet. Instead I took out a book on wilderness survival :-)

Thank you, everyone!

Ellie

Guest guest

Sima....WOW! good for you. What insight and change.  Sandy

It needed a few more mins so I put it back in and decided i must have a little when its done, even though Im not at all hungry, but skinny ppl eat when theyre full sometimes, right??? Anyway I came to check emails, drink some water at my desk, i forgot about the cake. And now I realize I dont really want any at all. I have ZERO interest in it. ! year ago I would have cut a HUGE slice, eaten it very quietly so my husband wont hear, and tell him the kids ate it. Im so happy not to be there anymore. I love IE land. READ THE BOOK!!!! Its a lifesaver.

To: " IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support >

Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:26 AMSubject: Bad thing

This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

Ellie

Guest guest

WOW!!!! That's amazing!! Thanks for sharing it! (Want to share the recipe for that cake? :-D You could send it to me offlist....)Ellie To: "IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support > Sent:

Thursday, January 19, 2012 11:18 PM Subject: Re: Bad thing

Ellie

Guest guest

Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically

obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get

asked about my " diet " a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing

book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike

the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day.

Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me

wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me

free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

IE since Sep 2011

------------------------------

>hey everyone-

>you can buy any book used on amazon. sometime as low as 1 cent! (plus $4

shipping!)

>I bought a used IE but I think I will treat myself to a new copy soon. I

treasure it!

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>________________________________

>

>To: " IntuitiveEating_Support "

<IntuitiveEating_Support >

>Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:33 PM

>Subject: Re: Re: Bad thing

>

>

>Ellie, I hope your Achilles is going to be fine.

>As for the books, it sounds as if your library and mine are on in the same.

They never have a book I'm actually wanting, but they do interlibrary loans.

I've resorted to those a time or two. Your library probably does the same and

can borrow from another library for you.

>You may be able to buy the IE book online at a decent price, also. I ordered

mine at a decent price from ebay a long time ago. I've since gotten rid of it

(kicking myself now). I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on

books. I was fortunate to find a copy of Thin Within at a thrift store a few

years ago. If I hadn't given it away already, I'd have been glad for you to have

it. I made a copy of the principles from the book before getting rid of it.  I

also have the principles of IE saved, as well. I'll be happy to share them with

you, if you'd like?

>Ann

>

>

>

>Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:17 PM

>

>

>Thanks so much to all of you for your really supportive, helpful thoughts.

>

>Physical therapy report on my Achilles is hopeful. Ill-timed flare-up of old

injury. Stretching/strengthening exercises twice a day, therapist twice a week,

I can walk as tolerated, but should wait on backpack training for my Appalachian

Trail hike (which she thinks I can probably start as planned in May), additional

weight wouldn't be good right now. This puts me, again, in " diet " mentality.....

I'm already carrying the equivalent of a weekend pack just in extra body weight,

shouldn't I lose that to take the stress off my feet?? I'm fighting with myself:

my feet are used to my body weight but wouldn't be used to the equivalent in a

backpack.

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>GACK!!! I'll gain more weight.....

>

>

>I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good nutrition.

I am not going to weigh myself, I'll just panic.

>

>

>I didn't get to check the files for books before I left. Library had nothing,

absolutely nothing, resembling IE, Diets Don't Work, Thin Within, or any of the

ones I've heard of. EVERYTHING was diet, diet, diet. Instead I took out a book

on wilderness survival :-)

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

asked about my " diet " a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing

the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day.

IE since Sep 2011

>hey everyone-

shipping!)

treasure it!

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>

>

>

(kicking myself now). I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on

years ago. If I hadn't given it away already, I'd have been glad for you to have

you, if you'd like?

>Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

I can walk as tolerated, but should wait on backpack training for my Appalachian

Trail hike (which she thinks I can probably start as planned in May), additional

weight wouldn't be good right now. This puts me, again, in " diet " mentality.....

I'm already carrying the equivalent of a weekend pack just in extra body weight,

shouldn't I lose that to take the stress off my feet?? I'm fighting with myself:

backpack.

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>

>

>I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good nutrition.

>

>

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

IE since Sep 2011

>hey everyone-

shipping!)

treasure it!

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>

>

>

you, if you'd like?

>Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

backpack.

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

, how long did it take you to lose that weight, how long did you follow IE?  Sandy

Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get asked about my " diet " a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day. Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

IE since Sep 2011

>hey everyone-

>you can buy any book used on amazon. sometime as low as 1 cent! (plus $4 shipping!)

>I bought a used IE but I think I will treat myself to a new copy soon. I treasure it!

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>

>To: " IntuitiveEating_Support " <IntuitiveEating_Support >

>

>

>As for the books, it sounds as if your library and mine are on in the same. They never have a book I'm actually wanting, but they do interlibrary loans. I've resorted to those a time or two. Your library probably does the same and can borrow from another library for you.

>You may be able to buy the IE book online at a decent price, also. I ordered mine at a decent price from ebay a long time ago. I've since gotten rid of it (kicking myself now). I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on books. I was fortunate to find a copy of Thin Within at a thrift store a few years ago. If I hadn't given it away already, I'd have been glad for you to have it. I made a copy of the principles from the book before getting rid of it.  I also have the principles of IE saved, as well. I'll be happy to share them with you, if you'd like?

>Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Physical therapy report on my Achilles is hopeful. Ill-timed flare-up of old injury. Stretching/strengthening exercises twice a day, therapist twice a week, I can walk as tolerated, but should wait on backpack training for my Appalachian Trail hike (which she thinks I can probably start as planned in May), additional weight wouldn't be good right now. This puts me, again, in " diet " mentality..... I'm already carrying the equivalent of a weekend pack just in extra body weight, shouldn't I lose that to take the stress off my feet?? I'm fighting with myself: my feet are used to my body weight but wouldn't be used to the equivalent in a backpack.

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>

>

>I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good nutrition. I am not going to weigh myself, I'll just panic.

>

>

>I didn't get to check the files for books before I left. Library had nothing, absolutely nothing, resembling IE, Diets Don't Work, Thin Within, or any of the ones I've heard of. EVERYTHING was diet, diet, diet. Instead I took out a book on wilderness survival :-)

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

, how long did it take you to lose that weight, how long did you follow IE?  Sandy

Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get asked about my " diet " a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day. Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

IE since Sep 2011

>hey everyone-

>you can buy any book used on amazon. sometime as low as 1 cent! (plus $4 shipping!)

>I bought a used IE but I think I will treat myself to a new copy soon. I treasure it!

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>

>

>

>As for the books, it sounds as if your library and mine are on in the same. They never have a book I'm actually wanting, but they do interlibrary loans. I've resorted to those a time or two. Your library probably does the same and can borrow from another library for you.

>You may be able to buy the IE book online at a decent price, also. I ordered mine at a decent price from ebay a long time ago. I've since gotten rid of it (kicking myself now). I'm a cheapskate and don't like to spend a lot of money on books. I was fortunate to find a copy of Thin Within at a thrift store a few years ago. If I hadn't given it away already, I'd have been glad for you to have it. I made a copy of the principles from the book before getting rid of it.  I also have the principles of IE saved, as well. I'll be happy to share them with you, if you'd like?

>Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Physical therapy report on my Achilles is hopeful. Ill-timed flare-up of old injury. Stretching/strengthening exercises twice a day, therapist twice a week, I can walk as tolerated, but should wait on backpack training for my Appalachian Trail hike (which she thinks I can probably start as planned in May), additional weight wouldn't be good right now. This puts me, again, in " diet " mentality..... I'm already carrying the equivalent of a weekend pack just in extra body weight, shouldn't I lose that to take the stress off my feet?? I'm fighting with myself: my feet are used to my body weight but wouldn't be used to the equivalent in a backpack.

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>

>

>I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good nutrition. I am not going to weigh myself, I'll just panic.

>

>

>I didn't get to check the files for books before I left. Library had nothing, absolutely nothing, resembling IE, Diets Don't Work, Thin Within, or any of the ones I've heard of. EVERYTHING was diet, diet, diet. Instead I took out a book on wilderness survival :-)

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

IE since Sep 2011

>hey everyone-

>(is that weird??)

>

>

>

>

>

>Ann

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>No running for 2 weeks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>Thank you, everyone!

>Ellie

>

>

>

Guest guest

, I'm curious too. Was legalizing/making peace with you a total breeze -

or were you simply able to follow the " eat when hungry/stop when full " without a

hiccup, so to speak? What's the secret to your success with a consistent weight

loss with IE right from the start? Thanks for sharing, Sandarah

>

>

> Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

or were you simply able to follow the " eat when hungry/stop when full " without a

>

>

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

>

>

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'm still in the process of legalizing/making peace--don't know that I'll ever get 100% there, but every meal presents an opportunity for me to get to know my fears, my tastebuds, my misconceptions, so I've been doing some serious self-discovery thru all of this. And yes, "eat when hungry/stop when full" was the main catalyst. I guess you could say I decided I had to operate that way. I remember one nite about 2 weeks in that I was sitting at my computer talking to an old college buddy when suddenly the bag of m & ms started SCREAMING at me from the pantry. I wasn't hungry, and I realized I was going to get up and eat half the bag if I didn't draw a HARD line right then. I remember literally grabbing each side of the table, closing my eyes, and praying for the strength to say NO. A few rather difficult moments

passed, and then so did the urge. That was the first time in a long time I could remember say no to my head hunger. But since I did it once, I knew I could do it again. Ever since then every time the urge strikes, I just ask myself if I'm hungry. If there's ANY doubt in my mind, I just make it non-negotiable that I'm not even supposed to go look at the food. God gave me a parallel that helped a LOT with maintaining it. I'm a happily married woman who cringes if someone other than my husband even flirts with me. But I'm downright disturbed if I feel attraction in return. So I've started building an emotional "wall" of sorts in those situations. I don't joke with them, I make sure I'm never alone with them, I minimize eye contact, etc--all in an effort to prevent any tempting situations arising. I don't even allow (what might seem like harmless) flirting b/c I know that's where affairs begin--and my

family means too much to me to risk that. So that's how I protect myself. What God pointed out was that even going to look at the food unless I'm truly hungry is the equivalent of flirting with it, and making it non-negotiable that I have to be hungry 1st is putting up a protective wall. So far it's worked! My secret is what lead me to IE in the 1st place. I'd just had my 2nd baby and was obese--feeling far from being myself. My best friend and I started having the same discussion we've had countless times about how we were going to "get serious" about our weight. We were going to exercise every day, start weight lifting again, eat only healthy foods, etc etc etc. And for some reason, I was able to see how unrealistic that method was. The reason it had failed before wasn't b/c it lacked merit, and only partially due to what the world would define as a lack of willpower. The fact is LIFE got in

the way. The kids and/or I got sick and I didn't have time to prep that perfect meal. A family member had the NERVE (lol) to schedule their birthday celebration right in the middle of my aerobics class. The chicken I bought unexpectedly went bad. Couldn't keep up my routine while on vacation. Get the idea? Life simply doesn't allow for such unlrealistic standards at most phases of life! So I reviewed my choices as I saw them, any time the idea of only being able to eat when hungry/stop when full seemed too huge:1) Stay FAT. And miserable. Not fitting into clothes. Watching my waistline creep up every year as it has done for the past 12 yrs or so. Not be able to keep up with my kids. Feel self-conscious in pictures and in a *gulp* bathing suit. Put up with comments from those idgets in my life who seem to think weight loss is easy. Sit back and wait for the medical

complications to start.Hmmmm...not sounding so good...2) Continue yo-yo-ing. Get ambitious to the point I set up unrealistic plans and standards every few months, beating myself up when I "fail" (or when life prevents me from "succeeding"), scraping desperately for every diet and/or tip I can find that can just help me lose 10 pounds before I gain it back plus 5 more and start the whole process over again!Hmmmm...sounding even worse3) Learn how to listen to, and TRUST, my body. Learn how to roll with the punches of life without letting it effect my waistline. Make it non-negotiable to say no to my head hunger--especially if it's binge-worthy. And find FREEDOM! Needless to say, #3 is always what I came back to--and that helped me stay the course. I still struggle with anxiety when eating previously-forbidden foods, but at least I'm learning to eat

them. Another thing that's helped is that I found a way to conquer my sugar addiction. I discovered flavored stevia. Now it graces everything from my water to my coffee and hot tea--and satisfies any sweet urges that pop up aside from hunger. In those first (m & m) days, a random chocolate urge would get met head-on with a glass of chocolate water and it would quell the craving until hunger showed up! (I know..."chocolate water" sounds really strange, but don't knock it til you try it! LOL) All the different flavors of this all-natural, calorie free sweetener have given me so many options in those weak moments, acting as a sort of "bridge" to get me to hunger again. Don't know that I could have done it without this stuff! The other thing I've done is been proactive in assessing my desires when it comes to real food. I let myself eat french fries now--granted I need much fewer than I used to--but

for sake of both my waistline and overall health, I try to make meals a combo of what sounds the best and something healthy. So at a restaurant, I might order a hamburger but no mayo or cheese unless I'm specifically craving them, and might order steamed veggies as my side item if fries aren't sounding just fabulous. In other words, I try to default to healthy unless I'm having a specific craving that justifies the not-so-healthy. Often times I'll be really hungry but nothing in particular sounds good, so I use that as an opp to eat something healthy so that when I get an urge for something fattening later, I can eat it and enjoy it all the more! Helps balance me psychologically--and doesn't feel like a "rule" persay b/c what it means is that I CAN have anything I want, I'd just rather it sound AMAZING first so that when I eat it, I REALLY enjoy it. Make sense? Sorry to get so long-winded... To be honest, some of these things

are still a mystery to me too, and as the days pass I'm slowly able to realize why this trick or that process is proving effective for me right now. I hope to figure more of it out as time passes! To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:32 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

, I'm curious too. Was legalizing/making peace with you a total breeze - or were you simply able to follow the "eat when hungry/stop when full" without a hiccup, so to speak? What's the secret to your success with a consistent weight loss with IE right from the start? Thanks for sharing, Sandarah

>

>

> Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get asked about my "diet" a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day. Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

I'm still in the process of legalizing/making peace--don't know that I'll ever get 100% there, but every meal presents an opportunity for me to get to know my fears, my tastebuds, my misconceptions, so I've been doing some serious self-discovery thru all of this. And yes, "eat when hungry/stop when full" was the main catalyst. I guess you could say I decided I had to operate that way. I remember one nite about 2 weeks in that I was sitting at my computer talking to an old college buddy when suddenly the bag of m & ms started SCREAMING at me from the pantry. I wasn't hungry, and I realized I was going to get up and eat half the bag if I didn't draw a HARD line right then. I remember literally grabbing each side of the table, closing my eyes, and praying for the strength to say NO. A few rather difficult moments

passed, and then so did the urge. That was the first time in a long time I could remember say no to my head hunger. But since I did it once, I knew I could do it again. Ever since then every time the urge strikes, I just ask myself if I'm hungry. If there's ANY doubt in my mind, I just make it non-negotiable that I'm not even supposed to go look at the food. God gave me a parallel that helped a LOT with maintaining it. I'm a happily married woman who cringes if someone other than my husband even flirts with me. But I'm downright disturbed if I feel attraction in return. So I've started building an emotional "wall" of sorts in those situations. I don't joke with them, I make sure I'm never alone with them, I minimize eye contact, etc--all in an effort to prevent any tempting situations arising. I don't even allow (what might seem like harmless) flirting b/c I know that's where affairs begin--and my

family means too much to me to risk that. So that's how I protect myself. What God pointed out was that even going to look at the food unless I'm truly hungry is the equivalent of flirting with it, and making it non-negotiable that I have to be hungry 1st is putting up a protective wall. So far it's worked! My secret is what lead me to IE in the 1st place. I'd just had my 2nd baby and was obese--feeling far from being myself. My best friend and I started having the same discussion we've had countless times about how we were going to "get serious" about our weight. We were going to exercise every day, start weight lifting again, eat only healthy foods, etc etc etc. And for some reason, I was able to see how unrealistic that method was. The reason it had failed before wasn't b/c it lacked merit, and only partially due to what the world would define as a lack of willpower. The fact is LIFE got in

the way. The kids and/or I got sick and I didn't have time to prep that perfect meal. A family member had the NERVE (lol) to schedule their birthday celebration right in the middle of my aerobics class. The chicken I bought unexpectedly went bad. Couldn't keep up my routine while on vacation. Get the idea? Life simply doesn't allow for such unlrealistic standards at most phases of life! So I reviewed my choices as I saw them, any time the idea of only being able to eat when hungry/stop when full seemed too huge:1) Stay FAT. And miserable. Not fitting into clothes. Watching my waistline creep up every year as it has done for the past 12 yrs or so. Not be able to keep up with my kids. Feel self-conscious in pictures and in a *gulp* bathing suit. Put up with comments from those idgets in my life who seem to think weight loss is easy. Sit back and wait for the medical

complications to start.Hmmmm...not sounding so good...2) Continue yo-yo-ing. Get ambitious to the point I set up unrealistic plans and standards every few months, beating myself up when I "fail" (or when life prevents me from "succeeding"), scraping desperately for every diet and/or tip I can find that can just help me lose 10 pounds before I gain it back plus 5 more and start the whole process over again!Hmmmm...sounding even worse3) Learn how to listen to, and TRUST, my body. Learn how to roll with the punches of life without letting it effect my waistline. Make it non-negotiable to say no to my head hunger--especially if it's binge-worthy. And find FREEDOM! Needless to say, #3 is always what I came back to--and that helped me stay the course. I still struggle with anxiety when eating previously-forbidden foods, but at least I'm learning to eat

them. Another thing that's helped is that I found a way to conquer my sugar addiction. I discovered flavored stevia. Now it graces everything from my water to my coffee and hot tea--and satisfies any sweet urges that pop up aside from hunger. In those first (m & m) days, a random chocolate urge would get met head-on with a glass of chocolate water and it would quell the craving until hunger showed up! (I know..."chocolate water" sounds really strange, but don't knock it til you try it! LOL) All the different flavors of this all-natural, calorie free sweetener have given me so many options in those weak moments, acting as a sort of "bridge" to get me to hunger again. Don't know that I could have done it without this stuff! The other thing I've done is been proactive in assessing my desires when it comes to real food. I let myself eat french fries now--granted I need much fewer than I used to--but

for sake of both my waistline and overall health, I try to make meals a combo of what sounds the best and something healthy. So at a restaurant, I might order a hamburger but no mayo or cheese unless I'm specifically craving them, and might order steamed veggies as my side item if fries aren't sounding just fabulous. In other words, I try to default to healthy unless I'm having a specific craving that justifies the not-so-healthy. Often times I'll be really hungry but nothing in particular sounds good, so I use that as an opp to eat something healthy so that when I get an urge for something fattening later, I can eat it and enjoy it all the more! Helps balance me psychologically--and doesn't feel like a "rule" persay b/c what it means is that I CAN have anything I want, I'd just rather it sound AMAZING first so that when I eat it, I REALLY enjoy it. Make sense? Sorry to get so long-winded... To be honest, some of these things

are still a mystery to me too, and as the days pass I'm slowly able to realize why this trick or that process is proving effective for me right now. I hope to figure more of it out as time passes! To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:32 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

, I'm curious too. Was legalizing/making peace with you a total breeze - or were you simply able to follow the "eat when hungry/stop when full" without a hiccup, so to speak? What's the secret to your success with a consistent weight loss with IE right from the start? Thanks for sharing, Sandarah

>

>

> Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get asked about my "diet" a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day. Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

>

>

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

Love your explanation of what IE calls " gentle nutrition. " !

Congratulations on your many successes and thanks for sharing!

Best,

Abby

I'm still in the process of legalizing/making peace--don't know that I'll ever get 100% there, but every meal presents an opportunity for me to get to know my fears, my tastebuds, my misconceptions, so I've been doing some serious self-discovery thru all of this. And yes, " eat when hungry/stop when full " was the main catalyst. I guess you could say I decided I had to operate that way. I remember one nite about 2 weeks in that I was sitting at my computer talking to an old college buddy when suddenly the bag of m & ms started SCREAMING at me from the pantry. I wasn't hungry, and I realized I was going to get up and eat half the bag if I didn't draw a HARD line right then. I remember literally grabbing each side of the table, closing my eyes, and praying for the strength to say NO. A few rather difficult moments

passed, and then so did the urge. That was the first time in a long time I could remember say no to my head hunger. But since I did it once, I knew I could do it again. Ever since then every time the urge strikes, I just ask myself if I'm hungry. If there's ANY doubt in my mind, I just make it non-negotiable that I'm not even supposed to go look at the food.

God gave me a parallel that helped a LOT with maintaining it. I'm a happily married woman who cringes if someone other than my husband even flirts with me. But I'm downright disturbed if I feel attraction in return. So I've started building an emotional " wall " of sorts in those situations. I don't joke with them, I make sure I'm never alone with them, I minimize eye contact, etc--all in an effort to prevent any tempting situations arising. I don't even allow (what might seem like harmless) flirting b/c I know that's where affairs begin--and my

family means too much to me to risk that. So that's how I protect myself. What God pointed out was that even going to look at the food unless I'm truly hungry is the equivalent of flirting with it, and making it non-negotiable that I have to be hungry 1st is putting up a protective wall. So far it's worked!

My secret is what lead me to IE in the 1st place. I'd just had my 2nd baby and was obese--feeling far from being myself. My best friend and I started having the same discussion we've had countless times about how we were going to " get serious " about our weight. We were going to exercise every day, start weight lifting again, eat only healthy foods, etc etc etc. And for some reason, I was able to see how unrealistic that method was. The reason it had failed before wasn't b/c it lacked merit, and only partially due to what the world would define as a lack of willpower. The fact is LIFE got in

the way. The kids and/or I got sick and I didn't have time to prep that perfect meal. A family member had the NERVE (lol) to schedule their birthday celebration right in the middle of my aerobics class. The chicken I bought unexpectedly went bad. Couldn't keep up my routine while on vacation. Get the idea? Life simply doesn't allow for such unlrealistic standards at most phases of life!

So I reviewed my choices as I saw them, any time the idea of only being able to eat when hungry/stop when full seemed too huge:1) Stay FAT. And miserable. Not fitting into clothes. Watching my waistline creep up every year as it has done for the past 12 yrs or so. Not be able to keep up with my kids. Feel self-conscious in pictures and in a *gulp* bathing suit. Put up with comments from those idgets in my life who seem to think weight loss is easy. Sit back and wait for the medical

complications to start.Hmmmm...not sounding so good...2) Continue yo-yo-ing. Get ambitious to the point I set up unrealistic plans and standards every few months, beating myself up when I " fail " (or when life prevents me from " succeeding " ), scraping desperately for every diet and/or tip I can find that can just help me lose 10 pounds before I gain it back plus 5 more and start the whole process over again!

Hmmmm...sounding even worse3) Learn how to listen to, and TRUST, my body. Learn how to roll with the punches of life without letting it effect my waistline. Make it non-negotiable to say no to my head hunger--especially if it's binge-worthy. And find FREEDOM!

Needless to say, #3 is always what I came back to--and that helped me stay the course. I still struggle with anxiety when eating previously-forbidden foods, but at least I'm learning to eat

them. Another thing that's helped is that I found a way to conquer my sugar addiction. I discovered flavored stevia. Now it graces everything from my water to my coffee and hot tea--and satisfies any sweet urges that pop up aside from hunger. In those first (m & m) days, a random chocolate urge would get met head-on with a glass of chocolate water and it would quell the craving until hunger showed up! (I know... " chocolate water " sounds really strange, but don't knock it til you try it! LOL) All the different flavors of this all-natural, calorie free sweetener have given me so many options in those weak moments, acting as a sort of " bridge " to get me to hunger again. Don't know that I could have done it without this stuff!

The other thing I've done is been proactive in assessing my desires when it comes to real food. I let myself eat french fries now--granted I need much fewer than I used to--but

for sake of both my waistline and overall health, I try to make meals a combo of what sounds the best and something healthy. So at a restaurant, I might order a hamburger but no mayo or cheese unless I'm specifically craving them, and might order steamed veggies as my side item if fries aren't sounding just fabulous. In other words, I try to default to healthy unless I'm having a specific craving that justifies the not-so-healthy. Often times I'll be really hungry but nothing in particular sounds good, so I use that as an opp to eat something healthy so that when I get an urge for something fattening later, I can eat it and enjoy it all the more! Helps balance me psychologically--and doesn't feel like a " rule " persay b/c what it means is that I CAN have anything I want, I'd just rather it sound AMAZING first so that when I eat it, I REALLY enjoy it. Make sense?

Sorry to get so long-winded... To be honest, some of these things

are still a mystery to me too, and as the days pass I'm slowly able to realize why this trick or that process is proving effective for me right now. I hope to figure more of it out as time passes!

Sent: Saturday, January 21, 2012 3:32 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

, I'm curious too. Was legalizing/making peace with you a total breeze - or were you simply able to follow the " eat when hungry/stop when full " without a hiccup, so to speak? What's the secret to your success with a consistent weight loss with IE right from the start? Thanks for sharing, Sandarah

>

>

> Thanks to IE I've lost 38 lbs in the last 4 months--taking me from medically obese to a healthy weight for the 1st time in years! Needless to say, I get asked about my " diet " a LOT. What I've come to say lately is that this amazing book (Intuìtive Eating) teaches us to have a relationship with food not unlike the relationship naturally skinny people effortlessly enjoy with food every day. Almost like having a skinny person's brain transplanted into ours. Don't get me wrong--i still have my areas of struggle, but that book did SO much to set me free from a prison of my own making! Sooooo worth the time & $!!!!!

>

>

> IE since Sep 2011

>

>

>

Guest guest

Bravo for you !! And so inspiring too. Excellent reply to those who ask

about your healthy adjustment. Great way to tickle their interest and of course

YOU are living proof for their own eyes to see. Hope you keep us posted as you

continue on your IE journey. I can't wait!

ehugs, Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> >hey everyone-

> >you can buy any book used on amazon. sometime as low as 1 cent! (plus $4

shipping!)

> >I bought a used IE but I think I will treat myself to a new copy soon. I

treasure it!

> >(is that weird??)

> >

> >

> >________________________________

> >

> >To: " IntuitiveEating_Support "

> >Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:33 PM

> >Subject: Re: Re: Bad thing

> >

> >

> >

> >Ellie, I hope your Achilles is going to be fine.

> >

> >As for the books, it sounds as if your library and mine are on in the same.

> >

> >You may be able to buy the IE book online at a decent price, also. I ordered

mine at a decent price from ebay a long time ago. I've since gotten rid of it

it. I made a copy of the principles from the book before getting rid of it. I

you, if you'd like?

> >

> >Ann

> >

> >

> >________________________________

> >

> >To: " IntuitiveEating_Support "

> >Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 2:17 PM

> >Subject: Re: Re: Bad thing

> >

> >

> >

> >Thanks so much to all of you for your really supportive, helpful thoughts.

> >

> >Physical therapy report on my Achilles is hopeful. Ill-timed flare-up of old

backpack.

> >

> >

> >No running for 2 weeks.

> >

> >GACK!!! I'll gain more weight.....

> >

> >

> >I need to calm down. I am not going to restrict my food, I need good

nutrition. I am not going to weigh myself, I'll just panic.

> >

> >

> >I didn't get to check the files for books before I left. Library had nothing,

> >

> >Thank you, everyone!

> >Ellie

> >

> >

> >

>