Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oh Ellie- I HEAR you! It is so difficult to fight the diet demon when you have

not yet made peace with who you are, now, in this moment. Do the numbers you

are obsessing over this minutequickly? No! I struggle with the same panicky

feelings of wanting to turn somewhere for a quick solution. But urning to a

diet plan is like a smoker turning to a cigarette- it is the most comfortable

coping mechanism we know. It doesn't work. I really encourage you to read the

IE book. I cried in the first 30 pages because it resonated to deeply with me.

>

> I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.

>

> This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online.

So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my

wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW,

maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds

over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm

counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting

" points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

>

>

> I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate

wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or

overeating. 

>

> I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing

something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not?

Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants

cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge

on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

>

>

> Maybe I should read the IE book after all. 

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

>

>

wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW,

maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds

>

>

overeating. 

>

> I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing

cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

>

>

>

>

overeating. 

>

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

Ellie, the book is really good and helpful as are many of the others that are listed on the sight.  Be gentle with yourself.  IE is a journey and doesn't happen overnight.  Awareness is the first step and learning to trust your body is very difficult after many years of dieting.  It must be very difficult too with your husband on WW and your mother wanting cookies.  I got rid of my scales, but I live alone and I don't have to bring into the house anything I tend to binge on.  Just remember Diets Don't Work.  Maybe use that as your mantra for a while.  Keep in touch.  Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. I just asked myself:

Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Maybe I should read the IE book after all. Ellie

Guest guest

Ellie, the book is really good and helpful as are many of the others that are listed on the sight.  Be gentle with yourself.  IE is a journey and doesn't happen overnight.  Awareness is the first step and learning to trust your body is very difficult after many years of dieting.  It must be very difficult too with your husband on WW and your mother wanting cookies.  I got rid of my scales, but I live alone and I don't have to bring into the house anything I tend to binge on.  Just remember Diets Don't Work.  Maybe use that as your mantra for a while.  Keep in touch.  Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. I just asked myself:

Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them all.

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as " good " or " bad " .  Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey.  Sandy

Guest guest

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as " good " or " bad " .  Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey.  Sandy

Guest guest

Guest guest

Thank you, ladies! I'll stop at the library this morning and look for the book, after my physical therapy appointment. I've injured my Achilles tendon. This is bad news as an injured AT can interfere badly with what I do and set me back for months. Yesterday as I limped around I ate a handful of cookies about every time I went through the kitchen (started with "One won't hurt anything.....)Ellie To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as "good" or "bad". Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey. Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. I just asked myself:

Maybe I should read the IE book after all. Ellie

Guest guest

Thank you, ladies! I'll stop at the library this morning and look for the book, after my physical therapy appointment. I've injured my Achilles tendon. This is bad news as an injured AT can interfere badly with what I do and set me back for months. Yesterday as I limped around I ate a handful of cookies about every time I went through the kitchen (started with "One won't hurt anything.....)Ellie To: IntuitiveEating_Support Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2012 9:56 AM Subject: Re: Bad thing

Ellie, I also wanted to say be careful how you label things as "good" or "bad". Just try to notice without judgement as you continue on your IE journey. Sandy

I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or overeating. I just asked myself:

Guest guest

Guest guest

Ellie, it seems like others have replied with excellent feedback so I'll just

add my 2 cents to the options for you.

I agree that labels can be misleading and hurtful. I don't think you did a 'bad'

thing but an unproductive or step 'back' in your IE journey. It helped me to

think of moving along my IE trail as a 'dance' at times - 2 steps forward, 1

back, 2 to a side and forward again ;-) Testing out what works and doesn't - for

YOU - is very much a part of an IE journey.

Before IE I weighed myself every week, took my blood pressure and kept that on a

'health' chart. Knowing what those readings were did NOT make me 'healthy' - or

not - only made me look at my life IN REVERSE. I came to realize that those

numbers turned me judgmental on myself so I stopped keeping a chart. Am I less

healthy because of that? I don't think so. In fact I had better annual tests

last year than for all the years that I kept charts.

I wish your husband well with his WW way. It may very well be what he needs. I

also hope that this post gets to you before you go to the library so that you

can have a chance to print the Book List that is here at this site (in Files) to

take to the library where you can browse thru as many books as you like to find

which 'clicks' with you.

BEST to you and GOOD job that you posted about this. Not only does this help

you, I also get wonderfully reminded of IE too.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

>

>

overeating. 

>

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

I agree that labels can be misleading and hurtful. I don't think you did a 'bad'

back, 2 to a side and forward again ;-) Testing out what works and doesn't - for

Before IE I weighed myself every week, took my blood pressure and kept that on a

can have a chance to print the Book List that is here at this site (in Files) to

which 'clicks' with you.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

>

>

overeating. 

>

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

which 'clicks' with you.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

>

>

>

overeating. 

>

>

>

>

> Ellie

>

Guest guest

Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE, but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans getting tighter each day. I donated my "larger" jeans to a thrift store a couple of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this "freedom" of no restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true "binges", still I'm eating more than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that, the only thing preventing me from it. I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to we handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much overtake us? Ann

This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well.

Numbers drive me crazy.

Guest guest

Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE, but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans getting tighter each day. I donated my "larger" jeans to a thrift store a couple of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this "freedom" of no restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true "binges", still I'm eating more than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that, the only thing preventing me from it. I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to we handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much overtake us? Ann

This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, "He's going to be following WW, maybe I should do it with him...." Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12 pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight. See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be counting "points" as well.

Numbers drive me crazy.

Guest guest

Numbers drive me crazy.

Guest guest

It was an AT tendon injury that made me stop running finally, which has also

probably contributed to my continued weight gain (but I have NOT stepped on the

scale to find out). After three months of not running (but walking regularly),

I think I am ready to start again, but I am going to start very very very

slowly, because I don't want to trash my heels again.

As far as the cookies go, I have been finding that actually having them in the

house has really decreased my interest in them. But they have to be really

really good ones. I started baking again in the name of making peace with food,

and a ally interesting side benefit is that besides descreasing my interest in

the food I am making available, I have also become far less interested in other

foods I had previously labelled as " bad " . I had had a similar problem with corn

chips, which my boys like to have around for making nachos or eating with bean

dip that they make themselves, or guacamole, but every time I would go through

the kitchen, I would have a handful, just like you say. Well, I don't do that

anymore, not because I have told myself that I shouldn't, which I was always

doing before, but because it doesn't occur to me. Or if it does, I can ask

myself if I really want them, and I usually don't. I have also had Hershey's

kisses, and butterscotch chips, and even homemade cookies around, and it is ally

really nice to have one as a treat, but if I am hungry, then no, I don't want

anything like that.

Good luck with the heel!

Tilley

> >

> >

> >> 

> >>I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.

> >>

> >>

> >>This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my

innate wisdom take the lead; it's been suppressed so long by either diets or

overeating. 

> >>

> >>

> >>I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I

doing something I really don't want to do, when I have the choice to do it or

not? Mostly it's the darn cookies. We live with my mother, who's 90, and she

wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I

binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them

all.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>Maybe I should read the IE book after all. 

> >>

> >>

> >>Ellie

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

It was an AT tendon injury that made me stop running finally, which has also

probably contributed to my continued weight gain (but I have NOT stepped on the

scale to find out). After three months of not running (but walking regularly),

I think I am ready to start again, but I am going to start very very very

slowly, because I don't want to trash my heels again.

As far as the cookies go, I have been finding that actually having them in the

house has really decreased my interest in them. But they have to be really

really good ones. I started baking again in the name of making peace with food,

and a ally interesting side benefit is that besides descreasing my interest in

the food I am making available, I have also become far less interested in other

foods I had previously labelled as " bad " . I had had a similar problem with corn

chips, which my boys like to have around for making nachos or eating with bean

dip that they make themselves, or guacamole, but every time I would go through

the kitchen, I would have a handful, just like you say. Well, I don't do that

anymore, not because I have told myself that I shouldn't, which I was always

doing before, but because it doesn't occur to me. Or if it does, I can ask

myself if I really want them, and I usually don't. I have also had Hershey's

kisses, and butterscotch chips, and even homemade cookies around, and it is ally

really nice to have one as a treat, but if I am hungry, then no, I don't want

anything like that.

Good luck with the heel!

Tilley

> >

> >

> >> 

> >>I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.

> >>

> >>

> >>This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW online.

> >>

> >>

> >>

overeating. 

> >>

> >>

wants cookies. I'm not telling a 90-yr-old she can't have cookies just because I

binge on them. She doesn't even eat that many. They disappear because I eat them

all.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>Ellie

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Ann, a little thing, but big help for me was to hear Gillian (group owner & IE

coach) share that she prefers to being in CHARGE over being in 'control'. In

charge places all the decision power in YOUR hands while in control hawks back

to forcing yourself to do X. I have a strong negative reaction to being forced

to do things so trying to tag that need upon myself ALWAYS back fires and causes

mega rebellion in me.

Chocolate was my main 'adversary' when I decided to tackle legalizing. I ate it,

LOTS of it! First in a rather 'defiant' out-in-the-open, in-YOUR (who's really?

mine or the worlds?!?) - face mode. My inner rebel had a field day but also was

long pestered by diet mentality gremlins alllll the way. I thought I bought LOTS

each week to 'stock up', but it was all gone by the time I returned to the store

for more. This went on for months (I'm slow to believe/trust?) until I FINALLY

got to where I had NO interest in eating chocolate. Chocolate remains a

'darling' of mine, but I don't have the love-hate relationship with it that I

used to have. Now its simply something that I indulge in when I get a craving

for it and have no interest in other times. And I'm also much more picky about

it too. One thing remains the same for me - if I try to resist it, I am

immediately focused on it. Tossing a 'crumb' at my beast works so much better

for me than to dragon slay without heart.

BEST to you as you tackle your demons. Don't forget - you are mighty! :-)

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

>

> Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another

weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE,

but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is

concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans

getting tighter each day. I donated my " larger " jeans to a thrift store a couple

of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have

regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that

initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this " freedom " of no

restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so

nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is

seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

>  

> I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the

numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going

on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to

overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true " binges " , still I'm eating more

than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the

past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that,

the only thing preventing me from it.

>  

> I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to we

handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much

overtake us?

>  

> Ann

>

Guest guest

I think that with IE the goal is not exactly " control " but awareness. I had

given away all of my bigger clothes too--about eight years ago--but when my

pants got too tight, I did go out and get some that fit. It makes a huge

difference how I feel to have clothes that actually fit, and if they a several

sizes bigger than what I wore before, so be it. I fell better wearing bigger

clothes than wearing clothes that are too tight.

I think that what IE suggests you might have to do with chocolate is to make

peace with it--to allow yourself to have it, as much as you would like, whenever

you are hungry, but to pay attention to how you feel as you eat it, and before

you eat it, and after y ou eat it. If it is always something forbidden, then it

will always have power over you. I have really found that compulsion abating as

I have allowed myself to eat those things that I have previously felt powerless

around. Okay, yes, I have eaten more that I would have liked of them at times,

but then, when that was done, it really seemed to be done, and I could not worry

bout it, or even think about it, which is really really liberating....

Good luck!

Tilley

>

> Ellie, I know just how you feel about wondering if you should go on another

weight loss program. I've recently come off of counting calories and back to IE,

but I can't seem to get myself under control either, where chocolate is

concerned. Not only chocolate, but also high carb foods and I can feel my jeans

getting tighter each day. I donated my " larger " jeans to a thrift store a couple

of weeks ago, and I told my husband yesterday that I am now starting to have

regrets about it, because my jeans are very snug now. I understand that

initially I may gain a little weight with giving myself this " freedom " of no

restrictions, but being out of control with certain foods is making me so

nervous. I don't want to restrict anything, but having these things around is

seeming impossible to avoid overdoing on.

>  

> I gave my calorie counter book away recently, because like you, adding the

numbers constantly drove me crazy and feeling so restricted really had me going

on outrageous binges. But after stopping with the counting cals, I'm tending to

overeat anyway, though I wouldn't call it true " binges " , still I'm eating more

than I should. The idea to start counting calories again has been strong the

past couple of days, but I know the binges will start again, should I do that,

the only thing preventing me from it.

>  

> I could use some advice from others who have been in the same boat. How to we

handle legalizing all foods, and yet not let those foods we crave so much

overtake us?

>  

> Ann

>

>

> ________________________________

>  

>

>

>

> >________________________________

> >

>  

> >

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

overeating. 

> >>

> >>

all.

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>Ellie

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Tilley, what I found helped me to not graze on see-food, especially cookies I'd

made, was to package these in zip lock bags and place them in my freezer. That

way I wasn't as triggered to 'grab' one just because they were there (and going

stale - ha ha). If I wanted some, they were easily available in my freezer. But

I also got a bit of a kick out of finding some in the freezer that I had

forgotten about. Those I would have eaten just because I saw them and not

because I wanted them - enough to get them from the freezer.

I didn't do this with 'tricking' myself in mind, only as an added 'step' which

helped me become more conscious with my eating. It worked for me but might not

suit another.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> > >

> > >

> > >> 

> > >>I did the bad thing this morning..... stepped on the scale.

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>This came about because my husband told me last night he's joined WW

online. So I thought.... how much *do* I weigh, anyway? I'm only 2 pounds over

my wake-up call number but I'm having thoughts of, " He's going to be following

WW, maybe I should do it with him.... " Two pounds over my wake-up call is 12

pounds over the weight I like and 17 pounds over my best athletic weight.

See???? I'm counting, I'm obsessing on numbers. The last thing I need is to be

counting " points " as well. Numbers drive me crazy.

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>I don't believe in restriction but I do not yet trust myself to let my

overeating. 

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>I just asked myself: Do I *want* to overeat? No, I don't. Well, why am I

all.

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>Maybe I should read the IE book after all. 

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>Ellie

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

suit another.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> > >

> > >

> > >> 

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

overeating. 

> > >>

> > >>

all.

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>Ellie

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

suit another.

Katcha

IEing since March 2007

> > >

> > >

> > >> 

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

overeating. 

> > >>

> > >>

all.

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>

> > >>Ellie

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>