RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: (unknown)

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's a good question.

To: autism-georgia Sent: Sun, September 26, 2010 8:48:38 AMSubject: Re: (unknown)

What is this address used for that is sent by bell99?

Subject: (unknown)To: autismlist , shelley.bell@..., mark.russell@..., tboooe@..., cmckenney@..., marlenekenyon@..., drgnili@..., sbell@..., autism-georgia Date: Sunday, September 26, 2010, 12:01 PM

http://bit.ly/dgSIm1

Guest guest

I agree. I am a therapist and I can't solicit on this web site.

To: "autism-georgia " <autism-georgia >Sent: Thu, September 30, 2010 9:48:03 PMSubject: Re: (unknown)

Could the moderator of this yahoo group please remove this email address from the group as it is posting nothing but spam. Thanks.

Sent from my fabulous iPhone

http://bit.ly/agu18b

Guest guest

I hope that you can also learn how to best deal with your daughter's OCD.

Yes, I too worry about letting my daughter take over the family so to

speak. Personally, I try to treat her the same as my other daughter. Some

concessions need to be made for sure, but I don't want my other daughter,

her sister, to begin to dislike her own sister because of her behavior and

give the impression she is getting away with things. I try to hold my OCD

daughter to the same behavior standards. It's a delicate balance and I am

learning. I will say that my daughter is 12 and her OCD is not as extreme

as it sounds your daughter's is.

I see what you're saying about the impression your daughter's melt downs

have in public to the people in the immediate area. Maybe a therapist can

help you come up with ways to improve that or deal with it, but in the

meantime, you'll have to develop a tough exterior and do what is best for

your daughter and not worry about those who might be judging your parenting

skills. I know that is stressful for any parent.

But, you've caught it early and as your daughter matures and receives

therapy, hopefully, she can learn to deal with the OCD. It will be very

challenging, but all you can do is the best you can do. Good luck and keep

us all posted on her progress.

>

>

> Hi I am new here my name is Crystal. I have a daughter Lexi she is 6 and

> was recently diagnosed with OCD and anxiety issues. Lexi has sensory issues

> as well. She hates lunch because it is to loud. Recently she was losing a

> tooth this caused extreme fear and trama for 48 hours. She became so

> obsessed with it being lose that she was wiggling it in her sleep. she would

> wake me crying in the middle of the night. Some mornings it takes us 20

> minutes to find a pair of socks that are acceptable. Lexi also does not seem

> to understand " social " cues. When something is not right she has melt downs

> this is translated to other people as a lack of dicipline. Lexi does not

> seem to have issues with her grades she is getting all A's in school. She

> does hate school and stresses about going daily.

>

> I am finding the hardest part is that Lexi on the outside does not seem to

> have any issues to most people. Lexi is very good at hiding her fears in

> front of others. She comes across as a little shy and sometimes " bratty "

> when she has a melt down. I have noticed that consistency is the best. she

> needs to follow set routines or meltdown occurs. Most people feel i am just

> giving her her way. I am exhuasted with the emotional roller coaster that I

> go on daily with her. I have had to cut my hours down at work to 5-10 hours

> due to trying to keep things in her routine. I get tired of either

> explaining or defending my actions and Lexi's issues with others. Every day

> I am on pin's and needles wondering what has set her off during the day. I

> find that the school is willing to work with somewhat but feel that they

> don't seem to fully understand what Lexi goes thru. Does anyone else

> struggle with this?

>

>

>

--

M. , RPR, CLR, FPR, CMRS

Reporting Service, Inc.

1101 Channelside Drive, Suite 261

Tampa, Florida 33602

Telephone:

Fax:

Cell:

Administration email: clarkrptg@...

Personal email: cindy@... or cindy.clarkreporting@...

Guest guest

I actually have talked to lexi's doctor she tells me that I cannot hold lexi to

the same standards as ashlynn. Ashlynn (her sister) is completely different

then lexi. We have set up with the school that Lexi needs a safe zone to go to.

When she gets to overwhelmed ie... around holidays when things are not the

normally she goes into melt down. I have gotten really good at knowing during

holiday partys that we have about 30 seconds to leave before she will freak out.

The freak out lasts about 30 minutes and normally she needs to be in a quite

room with no a television or a book. I know that is will prob get better with

age right now she just does not seem to understand what is going on. thanks for

your info and support it means alot to know that I am not the only one going

thru it.

>

> >

> >

> > Hi I am new here my name is Crystal. I have a daughter Lexi she is 6 and

> > was recently diagnosed with OCD and anxiety issues. Lexi has sensory issues

> > as well. She hates lunch because it is to loud. Recently she was losing a

> > tooth this caused extreme fear and trama for 48 hours. She became so

> > obsessed with it being lose that she was wiggling it in her sleep. she would

> > wake me crying in the middle of the night. Some mornings it takes us 20

> > minutes to find a pair of socks that are acceptable. Lexi also does not seem

> > to understand " social " cues. When something is not right she has melt downs

> > this is translated to other people as a lack of dicipline. Lexi does not

> > seem to have issues with her grades she is getting all A's in school. She

> > does hate school and stresses about going daily.

> >

> > I am finding the hardest part is that Lexi on the outside does not seem to

> > have any issues to most people. Lexi is very good at hiding her fears in

> > front of others. She comes across as a little shy and sometimes " bratty "

> > when she has a melt down. I have noticed that consistency is the best. she

> > needs to follow set routines or meltdown occurs. Most people feel i am just

> > giving her her way. I am exhuasted with the emotional roller coaster that I

> > go on daily with her. I have had to cut my hours down at work to 5-10 hours

> > due to trying to keep things in her routine. I get tired of either

> > explaining or defending my actions and Lexi's issues with others. Every day

> > I am on pin's and needles wondering what has set her off during the day. I

> > find that the school is willing to work with somewhat but feel that they

> > don't seem to fully understand what Lexi goes thru. Does anyone else

> > struggle with this?

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

> --

> M. , RPR, CLR, FPR, CMRS

> Reporting Service, Inc.

> 1101 Channelside Drive, Suite 261

> Tampa, Florida 33602

> Telephone:

> Fax:

> Cell:

>

> Website: www.clarkreporting.com

> Administration email: clarkrptg@...

> Personal email: cindy@... or cindy.clarkreporting@...

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hello,

Please disregard my previous message. I thought I had to send that message in order to "join" the group. I misunderstood the message sent to me. Sorry.

Deepa

Subject: (unknown)To: autism-georgia Date: Tuesday, November 16, 2010, 12:55 PM

Hello,

I wish to send messages to those in the autism-georgia groups.

Thank you,

Deepa

Guest guest

When does she spit and why? What do you do/say when she spits?Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerrySender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: (unknown) Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: (unknown) Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

Same questions for you. When and why does she spit? What do you do/saySent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jenks59@...Sender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:16:05 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: (unknown) Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

No sure why my girl spits but if I tell her to stop she only does it more. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:22:29 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) Same questions for you. When and why does she spit? What do you do/saySent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jenks59@...Sender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:16:05 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: (unknown) Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

If/when she spits do you make Her clean it up or do you do it? I teach a MS class and a student had this issue. She would spit often and yes it was sensory and behavioral for her. EVERY time she spit, SHE was responsible for cleaning up. We were consistent and never allowed her to get out of cleaning up. We also taught her to only spit in the toilet or trash can. If we were outside she could only spit in the grass. Be consistent and relentless. My student no longer spits on people or things and ONLY spits in the toilet or trash. You can email me directly at tjbenn2000@... if you like and I will give you my phone number. God Bless,Terri Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jenks59@...Sender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:38:23 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) No sure why my girl spits but if I tell her to stop she only does it more. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:22:29 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) Same questions for you. When and why does she spit? What do you do/saySent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerryFrom: jenks59@...Sender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:16:05 +0000To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: Re: (unknown) Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileSender: autism-georgia Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia Subject: (unknown) Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

Hi Yolanda,

What I would do first: Make a log of what is happening right before the spitting and what is happening right after. That way, you will usually see a pattern. This is called taking ABC data (antecedent, behavior, consequence).We will have to find this out before we can make a decision on how to address the problem.

For the "before": Do you give her something to do and then she spits? Or does she want something that she cannot have and then spits? Does she do it when you don't pay her any attention? Does she even do it when she is by herself?

For the "right after": Does she get access to an item (toy, food, or whatever)? Does she get attention (even the type of attention that we typically think is not positive like reprimands). Does she no longer have to do something that you had told her to do?

Take this log for a while and hopefully you will see a pattern. Let me know what you observe.

Hope this will help!

a a Woodruff, M.S., BCBAApplied Behavioral Consulting, LLCDuluth, GA 30096Cell: manuela.woodruff@...

To: autism-georgia Sent: Sun, December 12, 2010 5:38:23 PMSubject: Re: (unknown)

No sure why my girl spits but if I tell her to stop she only does it more. Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Sender: autism-georgia

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:22:29 +0000

To: <autism-georgia >

ReplyTo: autism-georgia

Subject: Re: (unknown)

Same questions for you. When and why does she spit? What do you do/say Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:16:05 +0000

Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)

Subject: (unknown)

Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

At first I though it was because she gets excited, for example when she gets on the school bus its none stop When she does spit I tell her to stop spitting and that it is not nice.Subject: Re: (unknown)To: autism-georgia Date: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 4:14 PM

When does she spit and why? What do you do/say when she spits?Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)To: <autism-georgia >ReplyTo: autism-georgia

Hello, my name is Yolanda. I have a 4yr old autistic child and she does a lot of spitting and it is very irritating. I am really trying to find out whether its sensory related or behavior problem. I really don't know what else to do. I am trying to find some help because I don't know what to do.

Guest guest

I have this pattern already in my head just not wrote. I noticed at first that she would spit when she got excited, but that has changed she will literally spit in a person's face and I cannot stand that. It hard for me to tell if its behavior or sensory. I would tap her hand for it and when she would see my hand coming towards her she would stop so that made me think that she knows what she is doing, but I disapprove of the spitting. I can say that there is one doctor that is working with me to find a solution to this problem.Subject: Re: (unknown)To:

autism-georgia Date: Sunday, December 12, 2010, 5:31 PM

Hi Yolanda,

What I would do first: Make a log of what is happening right before the spitting and what is happening right after. That way, you will usually see a pattern. This is called taking ABC data (antecedent, behavior, consequence).We will have to find this out before we can make a decision on how to address the problem.

For the "before": Do you give her something to do and then she spits? Or does she want something that she cannot have and then spits? Does she do it when you don't pay her any attention? Does she even do it when she is by herself?

For the "right after": Does she get access to an item (toy, food, or whatever)? Does she get attention (even the type of attention that we typically think is not positive like reprimands). Does she no longer have to do something that you had told her to do?

Take this log for a while and hopefully you will see a pattern. Let me know what you observe.

Hope this will help!

a a Woodruff, M.S., BCBAApplied Behavioral Consulting, LLCDuluth, GA 30096Cell: manuela.woodruff@...

To: autism-georgia Sent: Sun, December 12, 2010 5:38:23 PMSubject: Re: (unknown)

No sure why my girl spits but if I tell her to stop she only does it more. Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:22:29 +0000

Same questions for you. When and why does she spit? What do you do/say Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 22:16:05 +0000

Please let me know if you find a way to stop the spitting. My daughter has been doing it for over a year. Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 14:10:32 -0800 (PST)

Guest guest

Amber

Sorry - I should have included this link for you:

_International OCD Foundation (IOCDF)_ (http://www.ocfoundation.org/)

There is loads of good information and you can even search for a

doctor/therapist in your area. Hang tight... you will receive lots more

responses.

LT

In a message dated 1/27/2011 3:53:32 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,

apate1993@... writes:

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum so I am just starting to find my

way

around. I do have lots of questions that I know are probably somewhere in

the

archives. I have a 14 year old daughter who I think has ocd. Some of the

things she does : razors have to be turned a certain way, silverware in

the sink

needs to be pointing down, scissors have to be put away facing to the

right,

takes steps backwards while walking, this is random, doesn't seem to be a

pattern to this, touches things twice. We have talked about this alot.

She

says she doesn't feel like something bad will happen if she doesn't do

these

things but she needs to do them or she feels weird, can't really explain

how she

feels. I have read alot on the internet about ocd, I'm pretty sure this

is what

we are dealing with. Can they stop this on their own? Will it get worse?

Her

compulsions change every few months. Used to be closing the closet a

certain

amount of times, shower curtain had to be opened to the left, not right,

is this

normal for them to change what they do? This scares me, she just keeps

adding

more and more things that she feels like she needs to do. Can someone

please

answer some of these questions?

Amber

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Our list archives feature may be accessed at:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group// by scrolling down to the

archives calendar .

Our links may be accessed at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group//links . Our files may be

accessed at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group//files .

Our list advisors are Gail B. , Ed.D.(http://www.ocdawareness.com ),

Tamar Chansky, Ph.D.( http://www.worrywisekids.org ), and Dan Geller, M.D.

( http://www.massgeneral.org/doctors/doctor.aspx?ID=18068 ). You may ask a

question of any of these mental health professionals by inserting the words

" Ask Dr.(insert name) " in the subject line of a post to the list. Our

list moderators are Castle, Judy Chabot, BJ Closner, and Barb

Nesrallah. You may contact the moderators at

-owner

.. OCDKidsLoop membership may be accessed at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ocdkidsloop/ . Our group and related

groups are listed at

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ocdsupportgroups/links . IOCDF treatment

providers list may be viewed at

http://www.ocfoundation.info/treatment-providers-list.php .

NLM-NIH Drug Information Portal may be viewed at

http://druginfo.nlm.nih.gov/drugportal/drugportal.jsp?APPLICATION_NAME=drugp

ortal . IOCDF recommended reading list may be accessed at

http://www.ocfoundation.org/Books.aspx . IOCDF glossary of terms may be

accessed at

http://www.ocfoundation.org/glossary.aspx . IOCDF membership link may be

accessed at http://www.ocfoundation.net/membership/ . Drugs.com pill

identification wizard may be accessed at http://www.drugs.com/imprints.php .

Mayo

Clinic Drug and Herb Index may be accessed at

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-information/DrugHerbIndex .Yahoo! Groups

Links

Guest guest

Hi Amber!

My daughter is 12 and has OCD. So often you only hear about hand washing and

" bad " feelings. WEll this sounds like my daughter...its called " just right " OCD

where it is a feeling and it has to feel just right. My 7 year old also has it

and is starting treatment tomorrow for it.

My daughter got so bad that she had to start medication just to do the

therapy...but I believe in my heart that the therapy is the " magic " the

medication just lessened the anxiety enough to allow her to do it.

My daughter had to touch things evenly on both sides, like if she touched her

right knee then she had to touch her left knee in just the same way....the

therapy for that was touching one knee and not the other! Sounds easier than it

is but it can be done.

I have to leave for work....everyone here is great and will offer more info.

..mom to Sara 12 and 7 both " just right " ocd.

To: " ocd parenting " < >

Date: Thursday, January 27, 2011, 3:53 PM

Hello everyone.  I am new to this forum so I am just starting to find my way

around.  I do have lots of questions that I know are probably somewhere in the

archives.  I have a 14 year old daughter who I think has ocd.  Some of the

things she does : razors have to be turned a certain way, silverware in the sink

needs to be pointing down, scissors have to be put away facing to the right,

takes steps backwards while walking, this is random, doesn't seem to be a

pattern to this, touches things twice.  We have talked about this alot.  She

says she doesn't feel  like something bad will happen if she doesn't do these

things but she needs to do them or she feels weird, can't really explain how she

feels.  I have read alot on the internet about ocd, I'm pretty sure this is

what

we are dealing with.  Can they stop this on their own?  Will it get worse? 

Her

compulsions change every few months.  Used to be closing the closet a certain

amount of times, shower curtain had to be opened to the left, not right, is this

normal for them to change what they do?  This scares me, she just keeps adding

more and more things that she feels like she needs to do.  Can someone please

answer some of these questions?

Amber

Guest guest

Carlton - good for you!  I always find it fascinating to observe the changes in

myself and my taste .. I, too really notice grease as well as salt in a lot of

the commercial foods that I never noticed before but it's in large part due to

how we've changed what we eat & prepare for ourselves.

Also, how you felt this morning is a great reminder for the next time you eat

out for breakfast (it causes me to think how I'll feel after as I'm reading the

menu and not letting the descriptions or pictures sway me as how I feel after is

the whole reason I'm eating!

Great job!!

To: " insideoutweightloss " <insideoutweightloss >

Sent: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 10:15 AM

Hi all.

I have been busily listening to all the back podcasts of IOWL. I am up to number

134. Sure lots of good stuff in there. It is so encouraging and I am making

progress. I had a trip this week out of town and I paid closer attention to what

I ate. Breakfast this morning just isn't sitting well with me because the

restaurant food was just greasier than what I like. Before I would have just not

noticed or not thought about it.

Carlton Larsen

Saskatoon Sk

Guest guest

Carlton,

I too have noticed that I am more sensitive to taste.  I used to love Little

Debbie snack cakes until I actually slowed down and tasted them.  When I did, I

realized that (to me) the chocolate actually tasted waxy and not really that

good.  Now if I want chocolate, which I do have on occassion, I choose the

really good stuff.  I find that I can really enjoy it and it takes a lot less to

satisfy my want.

All the best,

Beverly

Guest guest

Recently someone gave us a box of chocolates from one of those boutique

places--handmade, gorgeous, fancy, yada yada yada.

I had one and kinda liked it.

The next day I had one in the morning and one in the evening (as planned). I

threw out the evening one half eaten, because I didn't like it that much.

Next day, I had one that was also pretty disappointing.

Now, it's already a victory that we're a couple days in, and I'm not " rationing "

the chocolates--that implies too much control. Rather, I was having them at a

reasonable pace, to enjoy.

Except I wasn't. Finally I told dh (who doesn't like sweets) that I was throwing

them out, because I had reached the stage where I was starting to want more just

to see if I'd finally find one I actually liked. And I didn't even have to dump

dish soap all over to make sure I didn't dig it them out of the trash! LOL!

Who knew there was actually such a thing as *bad* chocolate?? And that I didn't

have to eat it just because it was a gift?? :-)

>To: " insideoutweightloss " <insideoutweightloss >

>Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 4:40 PM

>Subject: Re: (unknown)

>

>

> 

>Carlton,

> 

>I too have noticed that I am more sensitive to taste.  I used to love Little

Debbie snack cakes until I actually slowed down and tasted them.  When I did, I

realized that (to me) the chocolate actually tasted waxy and not really that

good.  Now if I want chocolate, which I do have on occassion, I choose the

really good stuff.  I find that I can really enjoy it and it takes a lot less

to satisfy my want.

> 

>All the best,

> 

>Beverly

>

>

Guest guest

Karmalita

NK also goes to his room to repeat his action, and i understand how distressing

it is when your partner fails to believe there is something wrong. My husband is

quite traditional too - but unless your husband sees her doing the ritual and

spends time with her he wont understand. I dont know what was more scary what NK

was doing or how my husband was reacting? NK was cutting his finger tips...I so

feel for you as im going through the same thing. All the people in this forum

are great and are all going through similar experiences. Stay strong your not

alone.

(unknown)

Liz,

I do understand how you feel...I am a mom of three and my eldest recently was

diagnosed with OCD. It is quite difficult to deal with the mood swings from

aggressive to depressed, the fact she looks herself in her room because she does

not want her siblings or dad to know she is constantly repeating an action. Her

dentist said her enamel is wearing away because of the number of times she

brushes her teeth. My two younger children are trying to understand what is

happening but they feel I am letting her rule the house. My husband is very

traditional Indian and does not believe there is anything wrong with her.

Despite my explanations of this is a genetic problem, he feels " there is no one

in either of the two families who is crazy " I am at wits end trying to make him

understand. She started with SSRI last Wednesday and yesterday I found her

cutting her wrist!

Guest guest

I wouldn't stay with a psychiatrist who thinks your daughter's sexual activities

is " normal " , especially considering it is out of character for her. I would

want to use a psychiatrist who treats the whole pictures, not just OCD symptoms.

(unknown)

Debbie,

I am facing the same issues like you. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed with

OCD a month ago. She was put on Sertraline. She also saw the our primary doctor

and she is anemic and was put on iron pills. After starting her meds she was

found cutting her writs(just scratches with a paper clip). I brought it to the

psychiatrist attention and he did not seem to be bothered with it because it was

just scratches. He nonetheless increased her med of 25mg for a week to start,

the 50mg for two weeks. We saw him on Thursday and he increased her to 100mg. I

told him my daughter has been acting out(she had sex for the first time in the

back seat of a car with a guy she has only gone out with once, then last friday

at the football game she drank alcohol, got drunk and made out with two other

guys). The psychiatrist made me feel like an idiot when I brought these

activities to his attention, his answer... " she is a teenager and they will

behave like that. "

My daughter has always been the one the think things through, she is shy and

does not normally do things like these. On our drive home Thursday, she told me

she feels as thought she is separated from her body, sort of seeing herself

outside of her actual body. I asked her if she told the doctor that and she said

no. She is also quite sleepy(more than normal) since the increase of her

sertraline. I told her to take only 50mg rather than a 100mg to see if that is

what is causing her behavior and sleepiness. We have an appointment to recheck

her hemaglobin levels on Tuesday. Her thyroid was normal.

I think the meds do affect these kids differently and I am frustrated that the

medical professionals are seeing everyone through the same lens. Someone please

educate me here...shouldn't the meds and therapy be adjusted to help the child

perform to his or her best? Should I seek another psychiatrist because I find

the one we were referred to unapproachable. He keeps telling me this will take

time, I will not see any improvements for at least 3 to 6 months. But should he

not adjust her medication if she is getting worse?

Guest guest

Karmalita,

I'm not sure if you saw the email I sent a while back, but people who have

underlying bipolar disorder (and OCD can be a part of it) can get manic behavior

if they take SSRI anti-depressants like Sertraline if they are not also taking

mood-stabilizing meds for the bipolar. The behaviors you describe definitely

could be manic-type behaviors.

YES you should consult another psychiatrist! The one you've got is

unapproachable and made you feel like an idiot and isn't listening to you. You

and your daughter deserve better!

> Debbie,

> I am facing the same issues like you. My 16 year old daughter was diagnosed

with OCD a month ago. She was put on Sertraline. She also saw the our primary

doctor and she is anemic and was put on iron pills. After starting her meds she

was found cutting her writs(just scratches with a paper clip). I brought it to

the psychiatrist attention and he did not seem to be bothered with it because it

was just scratches. He nonetheless increased her med of 25mg for a week to

start, the 50mg for two weeks. We saw him on Thursday and he increased her to

100mg. I told him my daughter has been acting out(she had sex for the first time

in the back seat of a car with a guy she has only gone out with once, then last

friday at the football game she drank alcohol, got drunk and made out with two

other guys). The psychiatrist made me feel like an idiot when I brought these

activities to his attention, his answer... " she is a teenager and they will

behave like that. "

>

> My daughter has always been the one the think things through, she is shy and

does not normally do things like these. On our drive home Thursday, she told me

she feels as thought she is separated from her body, sort of seeing herself

outside of her actual body. I asked her if she told the doctor that and she said

no. She is also quite sleepy(more than normal) since the increase of her

sertraline. I told her to take only 50mg rather than a 100mg to see if that is

what is causing her behavior and sleepiness. We have an appointment to recheck

her hemaglobin levels on Tuesday. Her thyroid was normal.

>

> I think the meds do affect these kids differently and I am frustrated that the

medical professionals are seeing everyone through the same lens. Someone please

educate me here...shouldn't the meds and therapy be adjusted to help the child

perform to his or her best? Should I seek another psychiatrist because I find

the one we were referred to unapproachable. He keeps telling me this will take

time, I will not see any improvements for at least 3 to 6 months. But should he

not adjust her medication if she is getting worse?

>

>

Guest guest

Hello,

I agree. I don't think I could stay with a medical professional who I couldn't

talk to. You have too much at stake and you need to have your concerns listened

to. I know that it's hard to switch providers but in the long run, I think it's

worth the effort.

Best,

Joni