Guest guest

The Endo knows about the migraines, but does not know how to treat

them. He had to look up the topamax, but he is not afraid to admit

he knows nothing about the drug. I do not have an internist right

now, and the endo was nice enough to write a rx for 3 more months for

my topamax until I get another doc... he said he did not want to try

to keep up with that. What I need is one GOOD doc that knows

thyroid, who can take care of it all. Oh, that's right... there

isn't one of those!! Does this mean I have to fly to Lubbock, too?

Cat

> Does your endo know you are having the migraines with the low T4?

Does he understand the relationship? It is quite typical for endos to

keep all but thyca patients undermedicated.

Guest guest

Cat

Guest guest

Cat

Guest guest

Cat, I'm so sorry to hear about your migraines and hope you get help

with that soon. I just had to laugh when you said, " Does this mean I

have to fly to Lubbock too? " Gosh, are we all going to end up

there? Poor Dr. will be swamped! :-) Take care,

What I need is one GOOD doc that knows

> thyroid, who can take care of it all. Oh, that's right... there

> isn't one of those!! Does this mean I have to fly to Lubbock, too?

>

> Cat

>

Guest guest

>

> Cat

>

Guest guest

>

> Cat

>

Guest guest

That is what I think also, I don't think Topamax is in the same class as the other anti-seizure meds that block the thyroid hormone. When I looked at the article as it listed the chemical names - topamax's wasn't listed.

Janie Re: (unknown) ,I tried to find something on topamax being a source of thyroid interference, but couldn't. I will research it again. I did think of that.My gyno just suggests that I am peri-menopause, because of my age. I take no medications. No birth control. My T4 is awfully low, it dropped drastically when I switched from the dreaded synthroid to armour, but the Endo doesn't want to add any T4. The gyno, on the other hand, is willing to give me samples <wicked grin>My most recent labs are from 4-16-04:TSH .04 REF 0.04 - 5.50T3, TOTAL 126 REF 60 - 181T4, FREE .8 REF 0.8 - 1.8T3, FREE 355 REF 230 - 420So the T3 could probably go a tad higher, the T4 could stand to go to the moon, and then things might be a bit better. The topamax is still keeping the burger biggies with the aura away, and my pooch is letting me know when to pop the appropriate blockers for the others, but I would prefer not to have to do that. <g>Cathryn> Topomax-----We went through a discussion about this one awhile back, and it> was found somewhere that it can be a big source of thyroid hormone blockage.> Your T4 seems awfully low, but, then again, it may not be for YOU. What is> your Free T3 and how long ago were your tests done? I'm frankly beginning> to think that all the tests are worthless for some of us, when we've got all> this thyroid hormone resistance going on inside of us. Are you on> progesterone, by any chance. What period of your life are you in?> Premenopausal?> >

Guest guest

That is what I think also, I don't think Topamax is in the same class as the other anti-seizure meds that block the thyroid hormone. When I looked at the article as it listed the chemical names - topamax's wasn't listed.

Janie Re: (unknown) ,I tried to find something on topamax being a source of thyroid interference, but couldn't. I will research it again. I did think of that.My gyno just suggests that I am peri-menopause, because of my age. I take no medications. No birth control. My T4 is awfully low, it dropped drastically when I switched from the dreaded synthroid to armour, but the Endo doesn't want to add any T4. The gyno, on the other hand, is willing to give me samples <wicked grin>My most recent labs are from 4-16-04:TSH .04 REF 0.04 - 5.50T3, TOTAL 126 REF 60 - 181T4, FREE .8 REF 0.8 - 1.8T3, FREE 355 REF 230 - 420So the T3 could probably go a tad higher, the T4 could stand to go to the moon, and then things might be a bit better. The topamax is still keeping the burger biggies with the aura away, and my pooch is letting me know when to pop the appropriate blockers for the others, but I would prefer not to have to do that. <g>Cathryn> Topomax-----We went through a discussion about this one awhile back, and it> was found somewhere that it can be a big source of thyroid hormone blockage.> Your T4 seems awfully low, but, then again, it may not be for YOU. What is> your Free T3 and how long ago were your tests done? I'm frankly beginning> to think that all the tests are worthless for some of us, when we've got all> this thyroid hormone resistance going on inside of us. Are you on> progesterone, by any chance. What period of your life are you in?> Premenopausal?> >

Guest guest

Guest guest

I don't get that - but I get smells!!! And I get a very sharp stabbing pain always on the left center side of my head - like someone took a knife or poker and well you get the idea. Then intense pressure like my head is in a vice. My neice does get the aura and she sees the stars effect. Hers started when she was 14. Ain't life grand. {{{grin}}}.

I always wonder about the "stroke" thing. The lady who lives across the street from my daughter's BF did have a migraine stroke. She is now permenantly disabled - she can not speak, walk and is wheelchair bound. It is very sad, she has 3 elementary aged children. She was in the hospital and rehab for months. She was also in a coma for months. That scared me to death.

Janie Re: (unknown) My aura is BEFORE the headache... lose most of my peripheral vision, till I have very narrow tunnel vision. Then the vision will eventually return, and then... BAM! There is the headache. This takes place over an approximate 30 minute time span. Best way to describe is that if you look into a mirror, you can only see half of your face at one time... and not real clear either. Of course, I have been reassured that I am not at increased risk of stroke because of these types of headaches... thanks for the reassurance!!Cat

Guest guest

I don't get that - but I get smells!!! And I get a very sharp stabbing pain always on the left center side of my head - like someone took a knife or poker and well you get the idea. Then intense pressure like my head is in a vice. My neice does get the aura and she sees the stars effect. Hers started when she was 14. Ain't life grand. {{{grin}}}.

I always wonder about the "stroke" thing. The lady who lives across the street from my daughter's BF did have a migraine stroke. She is now permenantly disabled - she can not speak, walk and is wheelchair bound. It is very sad, she has 3 elementary aged children. She was in the hospital and rehab for months. She was also in a coma for months. That scared me to death.

Janie Re: (unknown) My aura is BEFORE the headache... lose most of my peripheral vision, till I have very narrow tunnel vision. Then the vision will eventually return, and then... BAM! There is the headache. This takes place over an approximate 30 minute time span. Best way to describe is that if you look into a mirror, you can only see half of your face at one time... and not real clear either. Of course, I have been reassured that I am not at increased risk of stroke because of these types of headaches... thanks for the reassurance!!Cat

Guest guest

Guest guest

My stupid former endo tried to blame all my lingering symptoms on my taking topamax instead of being undermedicated. He trys to say I am overmedicated even though my Free T4 is only .9 range .8 - 2.0. That is down from 1.1 after he lowered meds.

He blames everything on anything but what it really is. Needless to say he's history now.

Jan, I do have a lead on another Endo in the Houston area - Dr. Monla. I do not know how good she is with thyroid stuff yet, but so far what I am hearing is she is great with the pituitary stuff - so I am going to try her out soon - my DH's company is chaning health insurance companies and as soon as that is done, I will be making an appt with her and will be reporting in. Dr. P never did do complete testing of all the pituitary or female hormones and from what my friend has said (also a former Dr. P patient) she has done extensive testing of all hormones - so we shall see. She (my friend) also has pituitary tumor and thyroid issues. My friend so far is very impressed with the responsiveness of Dr. M. My friend however is on synthroid and has done well on it so she does not know if Dr. M will Rx Armour or not. Guess I will find out. {{grin}}.

Janiel I get another doc... he said he did not want to try to keep up with that. What I need is one GOOD doc that knows thyroid, who can take care of it all. Oh, that's right... there isn't one of those!! Does this mean I have to fly to Lubbock, too?Cat> Does your endo know you are having the migraines with the low T4? Does he understand the relationship? It is quite typical for endos to keep all but thyca patients undermedicated.

Guest guest

My stupid former endo tried to blame all my lingering symptoms on my taking topamax instead of being undermedicated. He trys to say I am overmedicated even though my Free T4 is only .9 range .8 - 2.0. That is down from 1.1 after he lowered meds.

He blames everything on anything but what it really is. Needless to say he's history now.

Jan, I do have a lead on another Endo in the Houston area - Dr. Monla. I do not know how good she is with thyroid stuff yet, but so far what I am hearing is she is great with the pituitary stuff - so I am going to try her out soon - my DH's company is chaning health insurance companies and as soon as that is done, I will be making an appt with her and will be reporting in. Dr. P never did do complete testing of all the pituitary or female hormones and from what my friend has said (also a former Dr. P patient) she has done extensive testing of all hormones - so we shall see. She (my friend) also has pituitary tumor and thyroid issues. My friend so far is very impressed with the responsiveness of Dr. M. My friend however is on synthroid and has done well on it so she does not know if Dr. M will Rx Armour or not. Guess I will find out. {{grin}}.

Janiel I get another doc... he said he did not want to try to keep up with that. What I need is one GOOD doc that knows thyroid, who can take care of it all. Oh, that's right... there isn't one of those!! Does this mean I have to fly to Lubbock, too?Cat> Does your endo know you are having the migraines with the low T4? Does he understand the relationship? It is quite typical for endos to keep all but thyca patients undermedicated.

Guest guest

Guest guest

I FINALLY got back on the groups. Have no idea what happened???

Anyway, I recently had a aura migraine.

By the time I went to the emergency room, all I had was very HIGH blood

pressure, and

a heck of a headache. Went to the neurologist who " clinically " diagnosed

me as having

migraines. Very, very scary experience!

The Dr. never told me to do anything, in fact, I haven't heard from him at

all. Only the " on-call "

Dr. giving me my results from the MRI. Real caring folks....

I have another question, though. I finally took everyone's advise and

halved my Armour 90 and

Levoxyl. I was having the shakes in the morning so now I take half the

Armour in the morning,

then the rest in the afternoon with the 25mg Levoxyl.

My question is, I feel ok now, but for several months I felt like I was

undermedicated. Is that

normal? I was getting the typical signs. But now I feel fairly

normal. Well, as normal as a

thyroid patient can be.

Are the migraines related to the thyroid in some way?

Lynn

Guest guest

pressure, and

me as having

halved my Armour 90 and

Armour in the morning,

undermedicated. Is that

thyroid patient can be.

Lynn

Guest guest

pressure, and

me as having

halved my Armour 90 and

Armour in the morning,

undermedicated. Is that

thyroid patient can be.

Lynn

Guest guest

*sigh* yup, sounds like you understand.

Don't think I have any sex hormone problems, my husband says I am

trying to kill him... oh, that's not how you know?

I have been considering a trip outside my insurance group to see Dr.

Launius.

Cat

> If you don't have a lot of other hormonal issues, you might try Dr.

Launius in ville. If you do have problems with sex hormones,

too, then Dr. Gonino in Rowlett may be able to help you.

>

> But let me get this straight: the endo knows about migraines but

wants to treat them as a separate issue? This is the essence of what

they teach at the PsychoProctology Medical School!

>

> They might not be related to low T4, but there is no way of knowing

that without optimizing your T3 and T4 levels first. . . .but the

endo does not want to do that. He thinks you should be fine at

current levels, right?

>

>

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest guest

Launius.

Cat

>

>

current levels, right?

>

>

Guest guest

Launius.

Cat

>

>

current levels, right?

>

>