RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Lois this is so long

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Pat,

That is incredible you foresight and dediation in a very volitair (sp)

situation. You an amazing woman!

Lois this is so long

It was really rough when Karac had aggression when he was withdrawn from the

Geodon.

I wore a heavy wool coat and boxing glove mittens when I saw it coming on and I

would tell

him to get in the tub in the bathroom and I would give him an Epson Salt bath.

I would think he

was going to break the glass door or slosh water all over the floor

because he would rage until it calmed him down. When he got out I would tell

him to go

upstairs and lay down on a pallet that I made between his bed and the wall. I

would play his music

and get him a toasted pop tart or a hot dog to eat. Usually we would go through

this at least twice

in a day. Sometimes I could just tell him to go upstairs and lay down on the

pallet, and I wouldn't

go up until he had calmed down; then I would go up and turn on the music and

take him something

warm to eat like a garlic bun (which he loved; I made it with half a hot dog bun

spread with garlic butter

and toasted in the toaster oven).

I wore that hot coat practically the entire hot summer.even when I

took him for a walk. We walked every day. I live next to a church, and we

would walk over there because

I wanted to keep him away from other people. I was afraid to get too far from

the house. I also taught Karac

to pray, " God help me be calm " . I also would sing songs with him. I bought

him a tire swing and sometimes

that would help. Fortunately, with Karac I could tell when he was losing

control. The first three weeks I had

to sleep in that coat with the hood on and the gloves because he would wake up

in the night and attack me.

Sometimes I would take him riding in my minivan and I felt safe there because he

always sat buckled in the

back and I would play his Sheryl Crow CD. I keep his blanket in the car and

snacks in the back for him .(Usually

a Granny Apple and water).

I also kept a crushed half of Clonidine pill .in my purse at all times which I

would give him in an emergency in a sippy cup. of water;

It would enter the blood stream faster and calm him down in about 20 minutes.

There were times that I would lock myself in the bedroom or bathroom and through

the door

Guest guest

Pat,

That is great how you got him to calm down. I think J is having a lot of anxiety from bring off the zpraxa. And I don't think the lithium is helping......In fact I think it is causeing him to get worse.

When we give it to him within 15min. he starts hitting. I was told today that Lithium has an acid in it. J can't take stuff with acid in it.

A few years ago The DAN! Dr. said J was low in an acid thru a blood test he had. He told me to give J this acid supplment. I did and J got real mean! When we had tried Depacote (sp)? he got real mean.......I hear it has an acid in it.

We have cut a good deal of suger out of his diet and I might try the zpraxa back and see if he calms down. I know the zpraxa caused sugar problems but we are not letting him have the suger he was getting before. I know I can't keep living like this. He came into the kitchen tonight and started hitting me and Jake (DH) came in and grabbed him away from me. Lois

Guest guest

Pat,

That is great how you got him to calm down. I think J is having a lot of anxiety from bring off the zpraxa. And I don't think the lithium is helping......In fact I think it is causeing him to get worse.

When we give it to him within 15min. he starts hitting. I was told today that Lithium has an acid in it. J can't take stuff with acid in it.

A few years ago The DAN! Dr. said J was low in an acid thru a blood test he had. He told me to give J this acid supplment. I did and J got real mean! When we had tried Depacote (sp)? he got real mean.......I hear it has an acid in it.

We have cut a good deal of suger out of his diet and I might try the zpraxa back and see if he calms down. I know the zpraxa caused sugar problems but we are not letting him have the suger he was getting before. I know I can't keep living like this. He came into the kitchen tonight and started hitting me and Jake (DH) came in and grabbed him away from me. Lois

Guest guest

Awwww that story makes me want to cry. I can relate. I wish Caleb could calm himself down.Sent from my iPhoneGwen HebertOn Oct 22, 2009, at 11:18 PM, pkuenstler@... wrote:

It was really rough when Karac had aggression when he was withdrawn from the Geodon.

I wore a heavy wool coat and boxing glove mittens when I saw it coming on and I would tell

him to get in the tub in the bathroom and I would give him an Epson Salt bath. I would think he

because he would rage until it calmed him down. When he got out I would tell him to go

upstairs and lay down on a pallet that I made between his bed and the wall. I would play his music

and get him a toasted pop tart or a hot dog to eat. Usually we would go through this at least twice

in a day. Sometimes I could just tell him to go upstairs and lay down on the pallet, and I wouldn't

go up until he had calmed down; then I would go up and turn on the music and take him something

warm to eat like a garlic bun (which he loved; I made it with half a hot dog bun spread with garlic butter

took him for a walk. We walked every day. I live next to a church, and we would walk over there because

I wanted to keep him away from other people. I was afraid to get too far from the house. I also taught Karac

to pray, "God help me be calm". I also would sing songs with him. I bought him a tire swing and sometimes

that would help. Fortunately, with Karac I could tell when he was losing control. The first three weeks I had

to sleep in that coat with the hood on and the gloves because he would wake up in the night and attack me.

Sometimes I would take him riding in my minivan and I felt safe there because he always sat buckled in the

back and I would play his Sheryl Crow CD. I keep his blanket in the car and snacks in the back for him .(Usually

I also kept a crushed half of Clonidine pill .in my purse at all times which I would give him in an emergency in a sippy cup. of water;

There were times that I would lock myself in the bedroom or bathroom and through the door tell Karac to go upstairs until he calmed down, and he would go upstairs and rage and I wouldn't come out until he got quiet and then I would ask him if it was safe for me to come upstairs and

he would tell me yes or no

During that that summer I prayed constantly, "God help me". Now I realize that he di

Gradually I was wearing the coat less and less. Karac got to where when he felt himself losing control he would ask for a bath, or to

go to the swing, or go for a walk or for a pop tart or hot dog. I had to tell any therapist who worked with him when he asked for any

of these things to respect it or they would be attacked. Ermil got attacked very badly just one time before she learned.

It has been two years since I have used any Clonidine. I have probably had that old wool coat on only a couple of times in the last

two years and then only briefly because Karac seems to be conditioned to calming down when he sees me in it.

I wish that Karac didn't have these times when he has to calm himself down, but at least he knows how. I'll hear him bouncing himself against the back seat of the car and praying, "God help me calm down", and I feel sorry for him, but in a matter of minutes he calms down.

The majority of the time now he is happy at least with me and at school.

Re: Drs......JJ

Pat,

I think a long time ago J took Seraquil for a bit. Dr. Bedoy wants me to try a low dose of albilify with the litium. You know, J has had a cough all week. I don't know if that has anything to do with all this agression or not.

I am about ready to have a panic attack over it all. About 4 years ago I started getting panic attacks and had to go to the Hosp. for 3 days...........I think it was me going thru menopause and my Hormones (Or lack thereof) that was causing it. I sure don't want that back again.

What did Karac do when he had agression? Lois

Guest guest

Awwww that story makes me want to cry. I can relate. I wish Caleb could calm himself down.Sent from my iPhoneGwen HebertOn Oct 22, 2009, at 11:18 PM, pkuenstler@... wrote:

It was really rough when Karac had aggression when he was withdrawn from the Geodon.

I wore a heavy wool coat and boxing glove mittens when I saw it coming on and I would tell

him to get in the tub in the bathroom and I would give him an Epson Salt bath. I would think he

because he would rage until it calmed him down. When he got out I would tell him to go

upstairs and lay down on a pallet that I made between his bed and the wall. I would play his music

and get him a toasted pop tart or a hot dog to eat. Usually we would go through this at least twice

in a day. Sometimes I could just tell him to go upstairs and lay down on the pallet, and I wouldn't

go up until he had calmed down; then I would go up and turn on the music and take him something

warm to eat like a garlic bun (which he loved; I made it with half a hot dog bun spread with garlic butter

took him for a walk. We walked every day. I live next to a church, and we would walk over there because

I wanted to keep him away from other people. I was afraid to get too far from the house. I also taught Karac

to pray, "God help me be calm". I also would sing songs with him. I bought him a tire swing and sometimes

that would help. Fortunately, with Karac I could tell when he was losing control. The first three weeks I had

to sleep in that coat with the hood on and the gloves because he would wake up in the night and attack me.

Sometimes I would take him riding in my minivan and I felt safe there because he always sat buckled in the

back and I would play his Sheryl Crow CD. I keep his blanket in the car and snacks in the back for him .(Usually

I also kept a crushed half of Clonidine pill .in my purse at all times which I would give him in an emergency in a sippy cup. of water;

There were times that I would lock myself in the bedroom or bathroom and through the door tell Karac to go upstairs until he calmed down, and he would go upstairs and rage and I wouldn't come out until he got quiet and then I would ask him if it was safe for me to come upstairs and

he would tell me yes or no

During that that summer I prayed constantly, "God help me". Now I realize that he di

Gradually I was wearing the coat less and less. Karac got to where when he felt himself losing control he would ask for a bath, or to

go to the swing, or go for a walk or for a pop tart or hot dog. I had to tell any therapist who worked with him when he asked for any

of these things to respect it or they would be attacked. Ermil got attacked very badly just one time before she learned.

It has been two years since I have used any Clonidine. I have probably had that old wool coat on only a couple of times in the last

two years and then only briefly because Karac seems to be conditioned to calming down when he sees me in it.

I wish that Karac didn't have these times when he has to calm himself down, but at least he knows how. I'll hear him bouncing himself against the back seat of the car and praying, "God help me calm down", and I feel sorry for him, but in a matter of minutes he calms down.

The majority of the time now he is happy at least with me and at school.

Pat,

I think a long time ago J took Seraquil for a bit. Dr. Bedoy wants me to try a low dose of albilify with the litium. You know, J has had a cough all week. I don't know if that has anything to do with all this agression or not.

I am about ready to have a panic attack over it all. About 4 years ago I started getting panic attacks and had to go to the Hosp. for 3 days...........I think it was me going thru menopause and my Hormones (Or lack thereof) that was causing it. I sure don't want that back again.

Guest guest

I am so thankful that you have Jake to help you. My DH couldn't help

with Karac because he has back problems. The best thing he

could do for me was to lock himself in the other part of the house so I

didn't have to worry about Karac hurting him.

I understand; I don't think I could go through it again. I will continue to pray. surely

there is some kind of help for J. Love and blessings, Pat K

Pat,

Guest guest

I am so thankful that you have Jake to help you. My DH couldn't help

with Karac because he has back problems. The best thing he

could do for me was to lock himself in the other part of the house so I

didn't have to worry about Karac hurting him.

I understand; I don't think I could go through it again. I will continue to pray. surely

there is some kind of help for J. Love and blessings, Pat K

Pat,

Guest guest

Caleb is younger than Karac; maybe in time he will learn to calm himself down or hopefully

won't need to. Love and blessings, Pat K

Pat,

Guest guest

Caleb is younger than Karac; maybe in time he will learn to calm himself down or hopefully

won't need to. Love and blessings, Pat K

Pat,

Guest guest

Sounds like you should put him back on the Zyprexa. How come he was taken off it? My son also sees Dr. Brenner.

Lana

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Fri, October 23, 2009 7:56:43 PMSubject: Re: Lois this is so long

Pat,

That is great how you got him to calm down. I think J is having a lot of anxiety from bring off the zpraxa. And I don't think the lithium is helping..... .In fact I think it is causeing him to get worse.

Guest guest

Sounds like you should put him back on the Zyprexa. How come he was taken off it? My son also sees Dr. Brenner.

Lana

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Fri, October 23, 2009 7:56:43 PMSubject: Re: Lois this is so long

Pat,

That is great how you got him to calm down. I think J is having a lot of anxiety from bring off the zpraxa. And I don't think the lithium is helping..... .In fact I think it is causeing him to get worse.

Guest guest

Pat,

We tried the zpraxa again last night.....He was "tapping" me some today but not NEAR like he was. I am going to have to watch the suger that he gets..............and I have to deal with the Dr. On monday but it is what it is......Jake shouldn't be trying to mess whith him either...........He was a roofer and fell 30ft about 11 years ago and he gets Disablitly now. Lois

Guest guest

Pat,

We tried the zpraxa again last night.....He was "tapping" me some today but not NEAR like he was. I am going to have to watch the suger that he gets..............and I have to deal with the Dr. On monday but it is what it is......Jake shouldn't be trying to mess whith him either...........He was a roofer and fell 30ft about 11 years ago and he gets Disablitly now. Lois

Guest guest

Lana,

Hi! JJ was getting very high blood suger from the zpraxa and his "eating hablits". Mostly the soda......We put him on diet soda.....Wishing I could get him off soda all together but you all know what that is like............Were do you live? I am in Hagerstown Md. Do you like Dr. Brenner? I think he is a kindhearted man but I think he tries to put to much on his plate and then forgets what he sometimes gives or writes down for the people. Lois

Guest guest

I'm amazed that Jake lived falling that far, and it is a wonder that he is

not paralyzed; thank God.

Will cutting down on J's sugar prevent him from getting diabetes? Do you think that

you might have tried to wean J off too fast? I keep praying. Love and blessings, Pat K

Pat,

Guest guest

Hi. You could always water down the soda or jut not buy it.

I live in Baltimore MD. Dr. Brenner seems very nice. I, too. thinks he forgets things from time to time. Has your son been tried on Risperidol? You might want to give that a try. By the way, how old is your son? I have two autistic children: one 17 who lives in a group home 20 mnutes from where we are and a 16-year old nonverbal.

How old is JJ? Do you have any other children?

Lana

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Sat, October 24, 2009 7:26:00 PMSubject: Re: Lois this is so long

Lana,

Hi! JJ was getting very high blood suger from the zpraxa and his "eating hablits". Mostly the soda......We put him on diet soda.....Wishing I could get him off soda all together but you all know what that is like........ ....Were do you live? I am in Hagerstown Md. Do you like Dr. Brenner? I think he is a kindhearted man but I think he tries to put to much on his plate and then forgets what he sometimes gives or writes down for the people. Lois

Guest guest

Hi. You could always water down the soda or jut not buy it.

I live in Baltimore MD. Dr. Brenner seems very nice. I, too. thinks he forgets things from time to time. Has your son been tried on Risperidol? You might want to give that a try. By the way, how old is your son? I have two autistic children: one 17 who lives in a group home 20 mnutes from where we are and a 16-year old nonverbal.

How old is JJ? Do you have any other children?

Lana

From: lois noland <jlois@...>autism Sent: Sat, October 24, 2009 7:26:00 PMSubject: Re: Lois this is so long

Lana,

Hi! JJ was getting very high blood suger from the zpraxa and his "eating hablits". Mostly the soda......We put him on diet soda.....Wishing I could get him off soda all together but you all know what that is like........ ....Were do you live? I am in Hagerstown Md. Do you like Dr. Brenner? I think he is a kindhearted man but I think he tries to put to much on his plate and then forgets what he sometimes gives or writes down for the people. Lois

Guest guest

I don't post very much, but my grandson Tristan, age 13, has been very violent toward me and once his equatherapy therapist. The severe behavior has been a few times in the last 3 weeks. He is now my heighth (5 ft.) and is stronger than I am. He hits people in the chest hard, but he also hurts himself badly also. A look comes over his face, and his horse therapists thinks it is seizures. If so, it is not typical seizures. He is not on meds, as he didn't do well years ago when he was on Abilify. I am very concerned. He also crys during or immediately after an episode and it is obvious he is in distress. When it is over he comes toward me and says "gentle" and looks very scared. It is horrible.

C.

Guest guest

Lois,

You said that J taps you. Tristan doesn't tap us but he does inanimate objects all the time, and says tap, tap, tap. It seems to be a stim he can't control.

C.

Guest guest

Lois,

You said that J taps you. Tristan doesn't tap us but he does inanimate objects all the time, and says tap, tap, tap. It seems to be a stim he can't control.

C.

Guest guest

Lois,

All diet drinks have unsafe sugar substitutes. Is it possible that could be contributing to his behaviors?

C.

Guest guest

Lois,

All diet drinks have unsafe sugar substitutes. Is it possible that could be contributing to his behaviors?

C.

Guest guest

It sounds like a seizure; I think Karac has them too. Bless their hearts.

Pat K

I don't post very much, but my grandson Tristan, age 13, has been very violent toward me and once his equatherapy therapist. The severe behavior has been a few times in the last 3 weeks. He is now my heighth (5 ft.) and is stronger than I am. He hits people in the chest hard, but he also hurts himself badly also. A look comes over his face, and his horse therapists thinks it is seizures. If so, it is not typical seizures. He is not on meds, as he didn't do well years ago when he was on Abilify. I am very concerned. He also crys during or immediately after an episode and it is obvious he is in distress. When it is over he comes toward me and says "gentle" and looks very scared. It is horrible.

C.

Guest guest

It sounds like a seizure; I think Karac has them too. Bless their hearts.

Pat K

C.

Guest guest

Pat,

You are a very insightful advocate and grandmother for Karac. I wouldnt hesistate to read your emails especially things that would help me with gabe also.

Pat,

That is incredible you foresight and dediation in a very volitair (sp) situation. You an amazing woman!

Lois this is so long

There were times that I would lock myself in the bedroom or bathroom and through the door