RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

ya know i was freaking when my step daughter brought it home 2 years ago in 6th, bein my specialty is prek-3 special ed i don't and haven't used it algebra in years. but i discovered with the algrbra an ysubject really that as long as they bri the book home it all comes back to me and we get the work done. i kno u will do it too when the time comes! Trisha

From: a Frey <paulajfrey@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:20:45 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

I think I would have to hire somebody once we reached Algebra.;-) Too teach us both! I have completely forgotten anything past basic algebra. But it would be fun to learn it together. Which is in part what I am hoping for - the day we become fellow students.I don't even have kids yet. Stupid biological clock!a> > > >> > > >> > > > I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are> > enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior> > from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you>

> can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their> > formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope> > with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.> > > >> > >> >> >> >> >> > ------------ --------- --------- ------> >> >

Guest guest

it has been interesting and im sorry i don't mean to take things so hard but i've been told i wear my heart on my sleeve and well im a nut so i can't help it sorry everyone. Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:18:38 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Tricia, I do think you're taking this too hard. I think it has been an interesting discussion.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 9:38 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1 (DOT) com> wrote:

paula wrote:

"I'm not a Mom yet, but should that day come (fingers crossed, I hope to home school. I'm not quite sure how I would do it, as I'm also the bread-winner for our "family". However, in the minimum I would tutor for several hours a day as my mother did with me. I was blessed to have received a wonderful education that was complimented by my Mother's tutelage."

u are very lucky to have a well educated mom. who could teach u so much. my mom has the education of a 6th grader, and she had to wrk from dawn to after midnight some nights. i raised my brther and sister. so she could do those things for m. and i not saying this to get o poor u's i say it because like nacy has said not all parents can give their children the extra educational help their children need. luckily for my son i am well educated i work in his school i can asssist him and we spend many hours a day even on vacation learning.

the government has decided kids could memoreize faster then learn. yep that's the case it's faster this way, if they canmemorize thse fast then we can push them on to the next level and before u know it are kids are doing algrbra in 3rd grade. and yea that is exactly where i see things head, i do not agree with it but in my 5 years with just on district this is what i have learned. the kids in my school start cursive writing in 1st grade, and multiplication in 2nd. constitution studys begin in 3rd, 5th and 6th are doing algebra. everygrade in our school switches for classes even early childhood and care, k-6 all switch for math, science, history, and reading. i COMPLETELY DISAGREE with this but i feel these kids are too young for this but our score have gone up so who am i to complain. back to the point (SO SORRY i do that,)

paula wrote:

"...to see people type online like they are texting with an old school phone..." sorry i'm slow tonight spend the enitre day walkingthe fair, ugh, and i don't follow what ur saying.

paula wrote:

"I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater."

in our school it irks me cuz they are like never allowed to talk, in the hallways we use a method call "procedure". every child in the school even EC and CARE have to walk mouthed closed one hand holding the other behind their back, faces forward, in a STRAIGHT line. if they are carrying things its held in the front close to the chest both hand holding boks and what. if the rule is broken there is NO warning they are gien what ever punishment the teacher uses and depending on how many times the rule is broken.. bodily contact is forbidden. we have no fights, kids smaking e other, tearing things in the halls the teachers display, books and boxes are not knocked out of hand. it has nearly deminished all hallway issues bt they are forced to walk like little soldiers, they are not allowed talk time in class at lunch only 15 minutes at recess 15 mins. would u like to be forbdden to talk but 15 mins a day. this policy is being adopted by many schools,

more then 100 schools from all ove te country have visited our school to se how it works among other policies and pograms we have in place.i have to say i disagree with u there because outr school and others do not allow much socializing. AND i make LESS then 13,000$ a year teaching. that money is for a family of four my husband cannot work b ut is not elegible for workmans comp or disability or social security. so i do it all there is NO extra money at all none we cannot play sports, we have NEVER been on a vacation, we couldn't evengo camping buecause we couldn't affored 30$ a day camping fees. we went to the fair because my dad got a summer bonus and sent us 100$ totake Jordon to have some fun before school starts. i do not paly for field trips b\c the princial (my boss) knws i cannot afford it and she pays she also has bought his school pictures for us a number of times and not just other

parents too. do u know what it feels like to tell ur child year after year no honey i'mm sorry there will be no new school clothed this year. no honey u can't play soccer this year either, sorry honey we can't go to the movies i do and it HURTS. so no not all children have oppertunities to socialize, around here they all cost money.

i know it sounds like i am against u all but i not really i am not i love u all u all have been great friends, and maybe i am taking this a little too hard to heart i do that to. i agree with u that in all ur situations and honestly in all of homeschool\ private school families i know it seems to be best but it's not b\c the public school is bad or the kids are bullys but b\c there is more learning going on more one on one. i wish i could afford to plae jordon somewhere else but that's not realistic not to mention i have a great support group of teachers that are willing to help any child in our district. my message is it's important to remember public school are public school for a reason 73-87% of the families in a city are on soem kind of state assistance which means our public schools are LOW funded (in fact we lose care and ec next year they had to get a grant to keep it open one more year.) not all public schools are

bad, not all kids brought up in public schools are bad. we can succeed too.

i am not mad and i hope no one else is either i amin no ways trying to piss anyone of i am just asking u all to remember that not ALL public school and ps attenders are bad most of us really strive to be the best and succeed. yes there is bad but there is good too. Trisha

From: a Frey <paulajfreyhotmail (DOT) com>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:52:30 PM

Subject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Parents these days have gotten lazy, school administrators have gotten lazy and thus kids have gotten lazy. I can't tell you how it irks me so. I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater.

I could go on a tirade about community involvement in schools, but I best not ;-) Plus, I'm still on a lot of pain killers!a> > > I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.>

Guest guest

it has been interesting and im sorry i don't mean to take things so hard but i've been told i wear my heart on my sleeve and well im a nut so i can't help it sorry everyone. Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:18:38 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Tricia, I do think you're taking this too hard. I think it has been an interesting discussion.

paula wrote:

"I'm not a Mom yet, but should that day come (fingers crossed, I hope to home school. I'm not quite sure how I would do it, as I'm also the bread-winner for our "family". However, in the minimum I would tutor for several hours a day as my mother did with me. I was blessed to have received a wonderful education that was complimented by my Mother's tutelage."

u are very lucky to have a well educated mom. who could teach u so much. my mom has the education of a 6th grader, and she had to wrk from dawn to after midnight some nights. i raised my brther and sister. so she could do those things for m. and i not saying this to get o poor u's i say it because like nacy has said not all parents can give their children the extra educational help their children need. luckily for my son i am well educated i work in his school i can asssist him and we spend many hours a day even on vacation learning.

the government has decided kids could memoreize faster then learn. yep that's the case it's faster this way, if they canmemorize thse fast then we can push them on to the next level and before u know it are kids are doing algrbra in 3rd grade. and yea that is exactly where i see things head, i do not agree with it but in my 5 years with just on district this is what i have learned. the kids in my school start cursive writing in 1st grade, and multiplication in 2nd. constitution studys begin in 3rd, 5th and 6th are doing algebra. everygrade in our school switches for classes even early childhood and care, k-6 all switch for math, science, history, and reading. i COMPLETELY DISAGREE with this but i feel these kids are too young for this but our score have gone up so who am i to complain. back to the point (SO SORRY i do that,)

paula wrote:

"...to see people type online like they are texting with an old school phone..." sorry i'm slow tonight spend the enitre day walkingthe fair, ugh, and i don't follow what ur saying.

paula wrote:

"I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater."

in our school it irks me cuz they are like never allowed to talk, in the hallways we use a method call "procedure". every child in the school even EC and CARE have to walk mouthed closed one hand holding the other behind their back, faces forward, in a STRAIGHT line. if they are carrying things its held in the front close to the chest both hand holding boks and what. if the rule is broken there is NO warning they are gien what ever punishment the teacher uses and depending on how many times the rule is broken.. bodily contact is forbidden. we have no fights, kids smaking e other, tearing things in the halls the teachers display, books and boxes are not knocked out of hand. it has nearly deminished all hallway issues bt they are forced to walk like little soldiers, they are not allowed talk time in class at lunch only 15 minutes at recess 15 mins. would u like to be forbdden to talk but 15 mins a day. this policy is being adopted by many schools,

more then 100 schools from all ove te country have visited our school to se how it works among other policies and pograms we have in place.i have to say i disagree with u there because outr school and others do not allow much socializing. AND i make LESS then 13,000$ a year teaching. that money is for a family of four my husband cannot work b ut is not elegible for workmans comp or disability or social security. so i do it all there is NO extra money at all none we cannot play sports, we have NEVER been on a vacation, we couldn't evengo camping buecause we couldn't affored 30$ a day camping fees. we went to the fair because my dad got a summer bonus and sent us 100$ totake Jordon to have some fun before school starts. i do not paly for field trips b\c the princial (my boss) knws i cannot afford it and she pays she also has bought his school pictures for us a number of times and not just other

parents too. do u know what it feels like to tell ur child year after year no honey i'mm sorry there will be no new school clothed this year. no honey u can't play soccer this year either, sorry honey we can't go to the movies i do and it HURTS. so no not all children have oppertunities to socialize, around here they all cost money.

i know it sounds like i am against u all but i not really i am not i love u all u all have been great friends, and maybe i am taking this a little too hard to heart i do that to. i agree with u that in all ur situations and honestly in all of homeschool\ private school families i know it seems to be best but it's not b\c the public school is bad or the kids are bullys but b\c there is more learning going on more one on one. i wish i could afford to plae jordon somewhere else but that's not realistic not to mention i have a great support group of teachers that are willing to help any child in our district. my message is it's important to remember public school are public school for a reason 73-87% of the families in a city are on soem kind of state assistance which means our public schools are LOW funded (in fact we lose care and ec next year they had to get a grant to keep it open one more year.) not all public schools are

i am not mad and i hope no one else is either i amin no ways trying to piss anyone of i am just asking u all to remember that not ALL public school and ps attenders are bad most of us really strive to be the best and succeed. yes there is bad but there is good too. Trisha

From: a Frey <paulajfreyhotmail (DOT) com>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:52:30 PM

Parents these days have gotten lazy, school administrators have gotten lazy and thus kids have gotten lazy. I can't tell you how it irks me so. I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater.

I could go on a tirade about community involvement in schools, but I best not ;-) Plus, I'm still on a lot of pain killers!a> > > I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.>

Guest guest

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

Guest guest

I like nuts. :) Anyway, I'm making a promise to strictly stick to the topic of exercise tomorrow. I made a year's worth of off topic posts today, LOLOL. On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...> wrote:

it has been interesting and im sorry i don't mean to take things so hard but i've been told i wear my heart on my sleeve and well im a nut so i can't help it sorry everyone. Trisha

Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:18:38 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools 

paula wrote:

" I'm not a Mom yet, but should that day come (fingers crossed, I hope to home school. I'm not quite sure how I would do it, as I'm also the bread-winner for our " family " . However, in the minimum I would tutor for several hours a day as my mother did with me. I was blessed to have received a wonderful education that was complimented by my Mother's tutelage. "

u are very lucky to have a well educated mom. who could teach u so much. my mom has the education of a 6th grader, and she had to wrk from dawn to after midnight some nights. i raised my brther and sister. so she could do those things for m. and i not saying this to get o poor u's i say it because like nacy has said not all parents can give their children the extra educational help their children need. luckily for my son i am well educated i work in his school i can asssist him and we spend many hours a day even on vacation learning.

the government has decided kids could memoreize faster then learn. yep that's the case it's faster this way, if they canmemorize thse fast then we can push them on to the next level and before u know it are kids are doing algrbra in 3rd grade. and yea that is exactly where i see things head, i do not agree with it but in my 5 years with just on district this is what i have learned. the kids in my school start cursive writing in 1st grade, and multiplication in 2nd. constitution studys begin in 3rd, 5th and 6th are doing algebra. everygrade in our school switches for classes even early childhood and care, k-6 all switch for math, science, history, and reading. i COMPLETELY DISAGREE with this but i feel these kids are too young for this but our score have gone up so who am i to complain. back to the point (SO SORRY i do that,)

paula wrote:

" ...to see people type online like they are texting with an old school phone... " sorry i'm slow tonight spend the enitre day walkingthe fair, ugh, and i don't follow what ur saying.

paula wrote:

" I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater. "

in our school it irks me cuz they are like never allowed to talk, in the hallways we use a method call " procedure " . every child in the school even EC and CARE have to walk mouthed closed one hand holding the other behind their back, faces forward, in a STRAIGHT line. if they are carrying things its held in the front close to the chest both hand holding boks and what. if the rule is broken there is NO warning they are gien what ever punishment the teacher uses and depending on how many times the rule is broken.. bodily contact is forbidden. we have no fights, kids smaking e other, tearing things in the halls the teachers display, books and boxes are not knocked out of hand. it has nearly deminished all hallway issues bt they are forced to walk like little soldiers, they are not allowed talk time in class at lunch only 15 minutes at recess 15 mins. would u like to be forbdden to talk but 15 mins a day. this policy is being adopted by many schools,

more then 100 schools from all ove te country have visited our school to se how it works among other policies and pograms we have in place.i have to say i disagree with u there because outr school and others do not allow much socializing.  AND i make LESS then 13,000$ a year teaching. that money is for a family of four my husband cannot work b   ut is not elegible for workmans comp or disability or social security. so i do it all there is NO extra money at all none we cannot play sports, we have NEVER been on a vacation, we couldn't evengo camping buecause we couldn't affored 30$ a day camping fees. we went to the fair because my dad got a summer bonus and sent us 100$ totake Jordon to have some fun before school starts. i do not paly for field trips b\c the princial (my boss) knws i cannot afford it and she pays she also has bought his school pictures for us a number of times and not just other

parents too. do u know what it feels like to tell ur child year after year no honey i'mm sorry there will be no new school clothed this year. no honey  u can't play soccer this year either, sorry honey we can't go to the movies i do and it HURTS. so no not all children have oppertunities to socialize, around here they all cost money. 

i know it sounds like i am against u all but i not really i am not i love u all u all have been great friends, and maybe i am taking this a little too hard to heart i do that to. i agree with u that in all ur situations and honestly in all of homeschool\ private school families i know it seems to be best but it's not b\c the public school is bad or the kids are bullys but b\c there is more learning going on more one on one. i wish i could afford to plae jordon somewhere else but that's not realistic not to mention i have a great support group of teachers that are willing to help any child in our district. my message is it's important to remember public school are public school for a reason 73-87% of the families in a city are on soem kind of state assistance which means our public schools are LOW funded (in fact we lose care and ec next year they had to get a grant to keep it open one more year.) not all public schools are

i am not mad and i hope no one else is either i amin no ways trying to piss anyone of i am just asking u all to remember that not ALL public school and ps attenders are bad most of us really strive to be the best and succeed. yes there is bad but there is good too.

Trisha

Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:52:30 PM

I could go on a tirade about community involvement in schools, but I best not ;-) Plus, I'm still on a lot of pain killers!a> > > I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

>

Guest guest

I like nuts. :) Anyway, I'm making a promise to strictly stick to the topic of exercise tomorrow. I made a year's worth of off topic posts today, LOLOL. On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...> wrote:

it has been interesting and im sorry i don't mean to take things so hard but i've been told i wear my heart on my sleeve and well im a nut so i can't help it sorry everyone. Trisha

paula wrote:

" I'm not a Mom yet, but should that day come (fingers crossed, I hope to home school. I'm not quite sure how I would do it, as I'm also the bread-winner for our " family " . However, in the minimum I would tutor for several hours a day as my mother did with me. I was blessed to have received a wonderful education that was complimented by my Mother's tutelage. "

u are very lucky to have a well educated mom. who could teach u so much. my mom has the education of a 6th grader, and she had to wrk from dawn to after midnight some nights. i raised my brther and sister. so she could do those things for m. and i not saying this to get o poor u's i say it because like nacy has said not all parents can give their children the extra educational help their children need. luckily for my son i am well educated i work in his school i can asssist him and we spend many hours a day even on vacation learning.

the government has decided kids could memoreize faster then learn. yep that's the case it's faster this way, if they canmemorize thse fast then we can push them on to the next level and before u know it are kids are doing algrbra in 3rd grade. and yea that is exactly where i see things head, i do not agree with it but in my 5 years with just on district this is what i have learned. the kids in my school start cursive writing in 1st grade, and multiplication in 2nd. constitution studys begin in 3rd, 5th and 6th are doing algebra. everygrade in our school switches for classes even early childhood and care, k-6 all switch for math, science, history, and reading. i COMPLETELY DISAGREE with this but i feel these kids are too young for this but our score have gone up so who am i to complain. back to the point (SO SORRY i do that,)

paula wrote:

" ...to see people type online like they are texting with an old school phone... " sorry i'm slow tonight spend the enitre day walkingthe fair, ugh, and i don't follow what ur saying.

paula wrote:

" I think challenging a child's mind and daring them to excel is more important than socialization at school. There are so many other activities where kids can socialize ie. soccer, martial arts, community theater. "

in our school it irks me cuz they are like never allowed to talk, in the hallways we use a method call " procedure " . every child in the school even EC and CARE have to walk mouthed closed one hand holding the other behind their back, faces forward, in a STRAIGHT line. if they are carrying things its held in the front close to the chest both hand holding boks and what. if the rule is broken there is NO warning they are gien what ever punishment the teacher uses and depending on how many times the rule is broken.. bodily contact is forbidden. we have no fights, kids smaking e other, tearing things in the halls the teachers display, books and boxes are not knocked out of hand. it has nearly deminished all hallway issues bt they are forced to walk like little soldiers, they are not allowed talk time in class at lunch only 15 minutes at recess 15 mins. would u like to be forbdden to talk but 15 mins a day. this policy is being adopted by many schools,

more then 100 schools from all ove te country have visited our school to se how it works among other policies and pograms we have in place.i have to say i disagree with u there because outr school and others do not allow much socializing.  AND i make LESS then 13,000$ a year teaching. that money is for a family of four my husband cannot work b   ut is not elegible for workmans comp or disability or social security. so i do it all there is NO extra money at all none we cannot play sports, we have NEVER been on a vacation, we couldn't evengo camping buecause we couldn't affored 30$ a day camping fees. we went to the fair because my dad got a summer bonus and sent us 100$ totake Jordon to have some fun before school starts. i do not paly for field trips b\c the princial (my boss) knws i cannot afford it and she pays she also has bought his school pictures for us a number of times and not just other

parents too. do u know what it feels like to tell ur child year after year no honey i'mm sorry there will be no new school clothed this year. no honey  u can't play soccer this year either, sorry honey we can't go to the movies i do and it HURTS. so no not all children have oppertunities to socialize, around here they all cost money. 

i know it sounds like i am against u all but i not really i am not i love u all u all have been great friends, and maybe i am taking this a little too hard to heart i do that to. i agree with u that in all ur situations and honestly in all of homeschool\ private school families i know it seems to be best but it's not b\c the public school is bad or the kids are bullys but b\c there is more learning going on more one on one. i wish i could afford to plae jordon somewhere else but that's not realistic not to mention i have a great support group of teachers that are willing to help any child in our district. my message is it's important to remember public school are public school for a reason 73-87% of the families in a city are on soem kind of state assistance which means our public schools are LOW funded (in fact we lose care and ec next year they had to get a grant to keep it open one more year.) not all public schools are

i am not mad and i hope no one else is either i amin no ways trying to piss anyone of i am just asking u all to remember that not ALL public school and ps attenders are bad most of us really strive to be the best and succeed. yes there is bad but there is good too.

Trisha

I could go on a tirade about community involvement in schools, but I best not ;-) Plus, I'm still on a lot of pain killers!a> > > I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

>

Guest guest

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

Trisha

>

Guest guest

from Michigan wrote:

> Many times parents either have to work or don't have the educational

> background to help their children.

heck, im a stay at home mom who is college educated and worked in

a professional career for 15 years and i struggle to find all of

the time i need to help our 2 kids with their homework every

night, and also struggle with figuring out how to help them

effectively. often, we all end up in a huff and nothing gets

done :/ of course i know the material that we are trying to

review but i am not a trained teacher! either im just not good

at explaining or my kids just wont accept me as their tutor...

perhaps both.

:*carolyn.

Guest guest

from Michigan wrote:

perhaps both.

Guest guest

from Michigan wrote:

perhaps both.

Guest guest

Hi Carolyn!I hear what you are saying -I think it is very difficult to be your child's teacher (although many who homeschool, do it successfully) - they view you differently and there is a different relationship there. I know my DD will work harder for her teacher than she will for me - for instance, in reading, I know she will work harder on sounding words out and trying to figure things out for herself with her teacher - with me, she is likely to give up and just ask me to give her the answer. It is a different relationship.

I'm also not trained as a teacher, and it is hard to explain something that is second nature to you (like reading) to a child.

Take care!Donna> Many times parents either have to work or don't have the educational > background to help their children. heck, im a stay at home mom who is college educated and worked in a professional career for 15 years and i struggle to find all of the time i need to help our 2 kids with their homework every night, and also struggle with figuring out how to help them effectively. often, we all end up in a huff and nothing gets done :/ of course i know the material that we are trying to review but i am not a trained teacher! either im just not good at explaining or my kids just wont accept me as their tutor... perhaps both.:*carolyn.

Guest guest

Hi Carolyn!I hear what you are saying -I think it is very difficult to be your child's teacher (although many who homeschool, do it successfully) - they view you differently and there is a different relationship there. I know my DD will work harder for her teacher than she will for me - for instance, in reading, I know she will work harder on sounding words out and trying to figure things out for herself with her teacher - with me, she is likely to give up and just ask me to give her the answer. It is a different relationship.

I'm also not trained as a teacher, and it is hard to explain something that is second nature to you (like reading) to a child.

Take care!Donna> Many times parents either have to work or don't have the educational > background to help their children. heck, im a stay at home mom who is college educated and worked in a professional career for 15 years and i struggle to find all of the time i need to help our 2 kids with their homework every night, and also struggle with figuring out how to help them effectively. often, we all end up in a huff and nothing gets done :/ of course i know the material that we are trying to review but i am not a trained teacher! either im just not good at explaining or my kids just wont accept me as their tutor... perhaps both.:*carolyn.

Guest guest

Hi again,

One of the things I remember when I learned the times tables was to find "patterns" in the tables. For instance the 9 times table repeats backwards:

9, 18,27, 36, 45, 54, 63, 72, 81.

Donna>When I think of the > way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the > tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here, > they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really > memorize those darned tables!hi donna - im having this problem with my 10 year old. you see, the public school skipped him over grade 3, which seems to be the grade that kids are learning times tables around here. (they put him into a split 3/4 class and the teacher just taught all of them grade 4 math... ugh!, long story... but ds didnt do so well, even after doing the grade 4 material again the next year while in a proper grade 4 class :(he really needs to know the times tables for grade 5 (he is going into a grade 4/5 split this year which should also help him, but still he should know this stuff already). the thing is, i

never had luck memorizing the times tables when i was a kid and ive tried to get ds to memorize them, but he just cant seem to do it. im no teacher, especially when it comes to math, so im wondering what the best way is to teach him the times tables. maybe i should get 8 year old ds, who is going into grade 3 in september, to teach him.... LOL. no, seriously, do you have any ideas that might help?:*carolyn.

Guest guest

ur so funny! Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:57:57 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

I like nuts. :) Anyway, I'm making a promise to strictly stick to the topic of exercise tomorrow. I made a year's worth of off topic posts today, LOLOL.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1 (DOT) com> wrote:

From: A. M. <plantpowered@ gmail.com>Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:18:38 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

From: a Frey <paulajfreyhotmail (DOT) com>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:52:30 PM Subject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Guest guest

ur so funny! Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:57:57 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

I like nuts. :) Anyway, I'm making a promise to strictly stick to the topic of exercise tomorrow. I made a year's worth of off topic posts today, LOLOL.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 10:55 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1 (DOT) com> wrote:

From: A. M. <plantpowered@ gmail.com>Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 12:18:38 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

paula wrote:

From: a Frey <paulajfreyhotmail (DOT) com>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 4:52:30 PM Subject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Guest guest

that's so cool Donna my jordon is the SAME way, "i can't read it it's too hard." the teacher never hears that! and dont feel bad any of u i AM a trained teacher and i can't do much with my sons learning either! Trisha

From: Donna M-P <donna112520@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:01:46 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Guest guest

that's so cool Donna my jordon is the SAME way, "i can't read it it's too hard." the teacher never hears that! and dont feel bad any of u i AM a trained teacher and i can't do much with my sons learning either! Trisha

From: Donna M-P <donna112520@...> Sent: Sunday, August 9, 2009 8:01:46 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Guest guest

For the nines, my dumb trick STILL is ....

9*4, 40-4=36, 9*7 70-7=63 etc. etc.

;-)

a

> >When I think of the

> > way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the

> > tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here,

> > they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really

> > memorize those darned tables!

>

> hi donna - im having this problem with my 10 year old. you see,

> the public school skipped him over grade 3, which seems to be the

> grade that kids are learning times tables around here. (they

> put him into a split 3/4 class and the teacher just taught all of

> them grade 4 math... ugh!, long story... but ds didnt do so well,

> even after doing the grade 4 material again the next year while

> in a proper grade 4 class :(

> he really needs to know the times tables for grade 5 (he is going

> into a grade 4/5 split this year which should also help him, but

> still he should know this stuff already). the thing is, i never

> had luck memorizing the times tables when i was a kid and ive

> tried to get ds to memorize them, but he just cant seem to do it.

> im no teacher, especially when it comes to math, so im

> wondering what the best way is to teach him the times tables.

> maybe i should get 8 year old ds, who is going into grade 3 in

> september, to teach him.... LOL. no, seriously, do you have

> any ideas that might help?

>

> :*carolyn.

>

Guest guest

;-)

a

> >When I think of the

>

>

>

Guest guest

I still use the finger trick. You hold out all 10 fingers and put down the

one that coincides with the number you are multiplying 9 by. Count the

number of fingers to the left of that one to get the 10's place and count

the number of fingers to the right to get the ones place. For example, if

you are multiplying 9 x 4, you hold out all 10 fingers and put down the

first finger of the left hand. 3 fingers to the left of it and 6 fingers to

the right of it and the answer is 36.

Silly, huh?

Tonya

;-)

a

> >When I think of the

>

>

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

I still use the finger trick. You hold out all 10 fingers and put down the

one that coincides with the number you are multiplying 9 by. Count the

number of fingers to the left of that one to get the 10's place and count

the number of fingers to the right to get the ones place. For example, if

you are multiplying 9 x 4, you hold out all 10 fingers and put down the

first finger of the left hand. 3 fingers to the left of it and 6 fingers to

the right of it and the answer is 36.

Silly, huh?

Tonya

;-)

a

> >When I think of the

>

>

>

------------------------------------

Guest guest

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try to also... really... I'll try at least!

Guest guest

Sounds like a good idea. I'll try to also... really... I'll try at least!

Guest guest

Mostly it is the parent/child dynamic versus the teacher/student roles. Teachers, as much as they truly care about and love their students, are still at an emotional distance that parents are not. They are also used to kids struggling with subject matter and they know how not to take it personally. Parents, probably mostly subconsciously, do not want their kids to fail and get frustrated more easily ("what is wrong with this kid?" or "what is wrong with me?" is what we often think). The kids pick up on both the teacher's calm acceptance of the child's current situation and the parent's rather frantic reaction as well and they respond accordingly. That's my theory anyway, I don't recall anyone ever explaining the actual dynamics but the phenomenon is very common from what I hear. I know, from my own experience teaching and tutoring that I can be very calm, reassuring and even useful to a struggling child who is not my own. Get me with my kid though and all the mother bear why aren't you the smartest most perfect bear cub in the world stupidity comes bubbling to the painful surface. My son's learning style is much different from my own too so that makes it even MORE difficult. My daughter is frighteningly like me but she has a unique way of pushing my buttons so even her I have trouble helping sometimes and we're starting the homework years this school year. I also notice that when I work with other kids, I'm much more patient. With my own child, I'm used to disciplining and correcting ugly behaviors (like whining) and so I automatically react to that kind of stuff instead of their confusion. I have to force myself to take a deep breath, ignore the whining and try to get to the root of the whining (being confused and upset, trying to create a diversion by whining so that mom will give up trying to make me understand, etc.). Needless to say, I'm not always very successful at this effort no matter how in touch with the psychology I may or may not be!

from Michigan wrote:> Many times parents either have to work or don't have the educational > background to help their children. heck, im a stay at home mom who is college educated and worked in a professional career for 15 years and i struggle to find all of the time i need to help our 2 kids with their homework every night, and also struggle with figuring out how to help them effectively. often, we all end up in a huff and nothing gets done :/ of course i know the material that we are trying to review but i am not a trained teacher! either im just not good at explaining or my kids just wont accept me as their tutor... perhaps both.:*carolyn.

Guest guest

Mostly it is the parent/child dynamic versus the teacher/student roles. Teachers, as much as they truly care about and love their students, are still at an emotional distance that parents are not. They are also used to kids struggling with subject matter and they know how not to take it personally. Parents, probably mostly subconsciously, do not want their kids to fail and get frustrated more easily ("what is wrong with this kid?" or "what is wrong with me?" is what we often think). The kids pick up on both the teacher's calm acceptance of the child's current situation and the parent's rather frantic reaction as well and they respond accordingly. That's my theory anyway, I don't recall anyone ever explaining the actual dynamics but the phenomenon is very common from what I hear. I know, from my own experience teaching and tutoring that I can be very calm, reassuring and even useful to a struggling child who is not my own. Get me with my kid though and all the mother bear why aren't you the smartest most perfect bear cub in the world stupidity comes bubbling to the painful surface. My son's learning style is much different from my own too so that makes it even MORE difficult. My daughter is frighteningly like me but she has a unique way of pushing my buttons so even her I have trouble helping sometimes and we're starting the homework years this school year. I also notice that when I work with other kids, I'm much more patient. With my own child, I'm used to disciplining and correcting ugly behaviors (like whining) and so I automatically react to that kind of stuff instead of their confusion. I have to force myself to take a deep breath, ignore the whining and try to get to the root of the whining (being confused and upset, trying to create a diversion by whining so that mom will give up trying to make me understand, etc.). Needless to say, I'm not always very successful at this effort no matter how in touch with the psychology I may or may not be!

from Michigan wrote:> Many times parents either have to work or don't have the educational > background to help their children. heck, im a stay at home mom who is college educated and worked in a professional career for 15 years and i struggle to find all of the time i need to help our 2 kids with their homework every night, and also struggle with figuring out how to help them effectively. often, we all end up in a huff and nothing gets done :/ of course i know the material that we are trying to review but i am not a trained teacher! either im just not good at explaining or my kids just wont accept me as their tutor... perhaps both.:*carolyn.