RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That sounds like a lovely school. That would have been wonderful for my son in junior high and high school. We didn't have anything like this, and our local junior high and high schools are very rough. He's a gentle soul. It would have been a good fit.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Donna M-P <donna112520@...> wrote:

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as " Friends " schools.  There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA!  I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their " faith " - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called " Meetings for Worship " and there is a lot of silence!  No real " service " .  People speak as they feel lead to speak.  I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out.  It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell.

As far as the schools/academics.  It really isn't all that different from a traditional school - they learn the basics.  The benefits are the small classes - which allow the kids to get more individual attention and progress at their own pace.  They are also not receiving federal or state monies so they are not obligated to follow the " schedule " in terms of the " no child left behind " stuff, which in my opinion is a nice idea, but does not work in practice.   Kids are all different and will progress at different levels not on an artifiical schedule that someone sets for them (please note that I have no education experience, just talking from the top of my head!).  Tying funding to performance of students makes sense on one level (b/c you really do want the schools to do their jobs!) but not on another b/c I think what happens is they end up pushing some kids along who are not ready for the next step (which is

counterproductive) and I think there ends up being a lot of " teaching to the test " .  For instance, in the school where  is they do administer standardized testing, but it is only for " informational " internal purposes.  One interesting result is that in math calculations, the kids test " average " (on grade level) but in mathematical reasoning the 1st graders tend to score in the 4th grade range - which tells me they are teaching th kids to THINK not to memorize.  When I think of the way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9.  That came later.  Here, they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really memorize those darned tables!

There is also a very open and accepting atmosphere and the kids are really taught to respect one another.  The atmosphere is mostly what I like (academics can be taught anywhere to some extent)- the kids there are truly all very NICE and RESPECTFUL to adults and to each other.  There is no bullying or " meaness " tolerated, which I think makes the educational experience much better.  In so many schools the academics are overshadowed by a poor atmosphere which allows intolerance of others, disrespect of others, bullying, etc. which tends to make kids hate going to school and then associate the bad experience in school to a dislike of learning.  I would really like to keep my DD there for her whole school " career " but it is pricey.  I hate the thought of her going to middle or high school with all the cliqueness/nastiness.  It was bad when I was a teenager, it is probably worse now.  I do think

she would benefit greatly though from the small classes and open atmosphere.  She has really come a long way in this school both socially and academically.  She loves school, learning and is very confident now with other kids and adults.

Take care!  Sorry to ramble.

Donna>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know

the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,

:*carolyn.

Guest guest

That sounds like a lovely school. That would have been wonderful for my son in junior high and high school. We didn't have anything like this, and our local junior high and high schools are very rough. He's a gentle soul. It would have been a good fit.

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as " Friends " schools.  There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA!  I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their " faith " - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called " Meetings for Worship " and there is a lot of silence!  No real " service " .  People speak as they feel lead to speak.  I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out.  It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell.

As far as the schools/academics.  It really isn't all that different from a traditional school - they learn the basics.  The benefits are the small classes - which allow the kids to get more individual attention and progress at their own pace.  They are also not receiving federal or state monies so they are not obligated to follow the " schedule " in terms of the " no child left behind " stuff, which in my opinion is a nice idea, but does not work in practice.   Kids are all different and will progress at different levels not on an artifiical schedule that someone sets for them (please note that I have no education experience, just talking from the top of my head!).  Tying funding to performance of students makes sense on one level (b/c you really do want the schools to do their jobs!) but not on another b/c I think what happens is they end up pushing some kids along who are not ready for the next step (which is

counterproductive) and I think there ends up being a lot of " teaching to the test " .  For instance, in the school where  is they do administer standardized testing, but it is only for " informational " internal purposes.  One interesting result is that in math calculations, the kids test " average " (on grade level) but in mathematical reasoning the 1st graders tend to score in the 4th grade range - which tells me they are teaching th kids to THINK not to memorize.  When I think of the way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9.  That came later.  Here, they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really memorize those darned tables!

There is also a very open and accepting atmosphere and the kids are really taught to respect one another.  The atmosphere is mostly what I like (academics can be taught anywhere to some extent)- the kids there are truly all very NICE and RESPECTFUL to adults and to each other.  There is no bullying or " meaness " tolerated, which I think makes the educational experience much better.  In so many schools the academics are overshadowed by a poor atmosphere which allows intolerance of others, disrespect of others, bullying, etc. which tends to make kids hate going to school and then associate the bad experience in school to a dislike of learning.  I would really like to keep my DD there for her whole school " career " but it is pricey.  I hate the thought of her going to middle or high school with all the cliqueness/nastiness.  It was bad when I was a teenager, it is probably worse now.  I do think

she would benefit greatly though from the small classes and open atmosphere.  She has really come a long way in this school both socially and academically.  She loves school, learning and is very confident now with other kids and adults.

Donna>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know

the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,

Guest guest

Hi Jen,

Guest guest

Donna,

hi 1st i want to say that i commend u for ur choice to use a Quaker school, they do have tremendious scores and learning levels, when joron reached school age i check into EVERYTHING. i didn't want him to go to public schools because of the cliquiness, and the bullying and all of it the school shooting everything it was going to happen to my son. today and since day one he has been n rolled in public school. yes i love love love the idea of small classrooms more one on one time learning vs memorization.

please understnd that i am NOT telling u how to raise ur child, that is in NO WAY my place and i know that i am simply curious and wonder if u have thought about this

But if i have learned one thing as an adult its that life now as and adult is no diferent than life in JR HIGH. only more responcibilites if ur daughter never has to expirence what people are really like, to never expirence how catty teenage girls are how thugish boys are, how people bullying others, how poor, fat, other races, kids with glasses, kid with the wrong clothes, kids with out myspace, kids without cell phones, the girl with big boobs, tall guys, muscled guys, and what have u all get teased and tormented or like and pedastooled. then i fear she will struggle as an adult when she finally does see these things.

i never realized these things until last year when i worked with these 2 girls twins they were 16, their parents died in a car wreck and they were living with an aunt and her two kids on was the same age and the girls. she was active in everything to do with school, student councel, newspaper, yearbook, cubs, cheerleading, vollyeball, softball, u name if there is a girls team for it she does it, she is also relentlessly teased about it she's a bull dyke, a geek, a nerd, a fat girl (by no means is she she has more muscle then i have seen on a kid b4) anyway it would get bad and she never let it bother her she'd smile and nod with her teasers. whent he 2 girls came to live with her it was the 1st tie they had been outside their own private school. the 1st day both girls spend more of their day with the councelors thenin class, that 1st week they spend 3 hours day inclasses the remaining 5 five was with concelors she eventually was forced to withdraw

the girls and pay for private schooling when she couldn't afford it because not only could the girls not handle it when the kids were rude to them the girls could handle to see anyone miss treated.

now yes that is a wonderful, big hearted, great things for them to feel that way and if more ppl did it would prob b a better life for us all but it's not life is FULL of mean ppl, u cannot avoid them and if she does start getting used to those thruths now it could really be hard when they are out on their own.

again i am NOT telling u what to do with ur child(ren) i just wanted to pass this bit of info to u.

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520@...> Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as "Friends" schools. There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA! I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their "faith" - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called "Meetings for Worship" and there is a lot of silence! No real "service". People speak as they feel lead to speak. I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out. It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell......

Guest guest

Donna,

hi 1st i want to say that i commend u for ur choice to use a Quaker school, they do have tremendious scores and learning levels, when joron reached school age i check into EVERYTHING. i didn't want him to go to public schools because of the cliquiness, and the bullying and all of it the school shooting everything it was going to happen to my son. today and since day one he has been n rolled in public school. yes i love love love the idea of small classrooms more one on one time learning vs memorization.

please understnd that i am NOT telling u how to raise ur child, that is in NO WAY my place and i know that i am simply curious and wonder if u have thought about this

But if i have learned one thing as an adult its that life now as and adult is no diferent than life in JR HIGH. only more responcibilites if ur daughter never has to expirence what people are really like, to never expirence how catty teenage girls are how thugish boys are, how people bullying others, how poor, fat, other races, kids with glasses, kid with the wrong clothes, kids with out myspace, kids without cell phones, the girl with big boobs, tall guys, muscled guys, and what have u all get teased and tormented or like and pedastooled. then i fear she will struggle as an adult when she finally does see these things.

i never realized these things until last year when i worked with these 2 girls twins they were 16, their parents died in a car wreck and they were living with an aunt and her two kids on was the same age and the girls. she was active in everything to do with school, student councel, newspaper, yearbook, cubs, cheerleading, vollyeball, softball, u name if there is a girls team for it she does it, she is also relentlessly teased about it she's a bull dyke, a geek, a nerd, a fat girl (by no means is she she has more muscle then i have seen on a kid b4) anyway it would get bad and she never let it bother her she'd smile and nod with her teasers. whent he 2 girls came to live with her it was the 1st tie they had been outside their own private school. the 1st day both girls spend more of their day with the councelors thenin class, that 1st week they spend 3 hours day inclasses the remaining 5 five was with concelors she eventually was forced to withdraw

the girls and pay for private schooling when she couldn't afford it because not only could the girls not handle it when the kids were rude to them the girls could handle to see anyone miss treated.

now yes that is a wonderful, big hearted, great things for them to feel that way and if more ppl did it would prob b a better life for us all but it's not life is FULL of mean ppl, u cannot avoid them and if she does start getting used to those thruths now it could really be hard when they are out on their own.

again i am NOT telling u what to do with ur child(ren) i just wanted to pass this bit of info to u.

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520@...> Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as "Friends" schools. There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA! I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their "faith" - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called "Meetings for Worship" and there is a lot of silence! No real "service". People speak as they feel lead to speak. I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out. It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell......

Guest guest

my jordon had 2 and 1\2 yrs in preschool, loved school gotto kidergarten and suddely hated started peeing his pants suddenly just all kinds of things and after about a month i discovered it's cause he had a yeller for a teacher. the princapal (my boss) wouldn't move him said i was over reacting ect. so i thought maybe i was, 1 st grade started out bad again he got a yeller and a pregnant one at that (she a good friend of mine so i can say this she is not a good preg person she's mean) he was failing hated school she went on maternity leave he started passing and loved school she came back he hated it again the last 2 year i got to pick his teachers he's doing great and loves school. i yell teachers yell we all yell, that's not what i mean by yellers i mean YELLERS, mean cold yellers that make the kids feel like shi*, they are in every building (and yes that even more reason to have ur kids in a quaker school donna yes i

know but..) and it will only get worse as he moves from elem, to jr high to high school and i now the teachers and i truely wory about him when he gets to the high school b\c the princapal there is a DICK yes i said it he knws me well hates that i work in his district has seriously picked on my step daughter since day one and it won't get better but still i feel my kidsand others need to know NOW more then ever that this is how life is it's long, boring, sad and unfair. i pains me to see jordon sad b\c the kids wn't play with him on recess but in the end i know it is building a strong independant individual. (and now i am crying so i will end this) we can't make everyone in the world be nice and it's pointless to hide the meanness of the world from our kids.

Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 7:34:56 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Donna M-P <donna112520> wrote:

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as "Friends" schools. There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA! I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their "faith" - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called "Meetings for Worship" and there is a lot of silence! No real "service". People speak as they feel lead to speak. I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out. It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell.

As far as the schools/academics. It really isn't all that different from a traditional school - they learn the basics. The benefits are the small classes - which allow the kids to get more individual attention and progress at their own pace. They are also not receiving federal or state monies so they are not obligated to follow the "schedule" in terms of the "no child left behind" stuff, which in my opinion is a nice idea, but does not work in practice. Kids are all different and will progress at different levels not on an artifiical schedule that someone sets for them (please note that I have no education experience, just talking from the top of my head!). Tying funding to performance of students makes sense on one level (b/c you really do want the schools to do their jobs!) but not on another b/c I think what happens is they end up pushing some kids along who are not ready for the next step (which is

counterproductive) and I think there ends up being a lot of "teaching to the test". For instance, in the school where is they do administer standardized testing, but it is only for "informational" internal purposes. One interesting result is that in math calculations, the kids test "average" (on grade level) but in mathematical reasoning the 1st graders tend to score in the 4th grade range - which tells me they are teaching th kids to THINK not to memorize. When I think of the way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here, they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really memorize those darned tables!

There is also a very open and accepting atmosphere and the kids are really taught to respect one another. The atmosphere is mostly what I like (academics can be taught anywhere to some extent)- the kids there are truly all very NICE and RESPECTFUL to adults and to each other. There is no bullying or "meaness" tolerated, which I think makes the educational experience much better. In so many schools the academics are overshadowed by a poor atmosphere which allows intolerance of others, disrespect of others, bullying, etc. which tends to make kids hate going to school and then associate the bad experience in school to a dislike of learning. I would really like to keep my DD there for her whole school "career" but it is pricey. I hate the thought of her going to middle or high school with all the cliqueness/nastines s. It was bad when I was a teenager, it is probably worse now. I do think

she would benefit greatly though from the small classes and open atmosphere. She has really come a long way in this school both socially and academically. She loves school, learning and is very confident now with other kids and adults.

Take care! Sorry to ramble.

Donna>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,:*carolyn.

Guest guest

my jordon had 2 and 1\2 yrs in preschool, loved school gotto kidergarten and suddely hated started peeing his pants suddenly just all kinds of things and after about a month i discovered it's cause he had a yeller for a teacher. the princapal (my boss) wouldn't move him said i was over reacting ect. so i thought maybe i was, 1 st grade started out bad again he got a yeller and a pregnant one at that (she a good friend of mine so i can say this she is not a good preg person she's mean) he was failing hated school she went on maternity leave he started passing and loved school she came back he hated it again the last 2 year i got to pick his teachers he's doing great and loves school. i yell teachers yell we all yell, that's not what i mean by yellers i mean YELLERS, mean cold yellers that make the kids feel like shi*, they are in every building (and yes that even more reason to have ur kids in a quaker school donna yes i

know but..) and it will only get worse as he moves from elem, to jr high to high school and i now the teachers and i truely wory about him when he gets to the high school b\c the princapal there is a DICK yes i said it he knws me well hates that i work in his district has seriously picked on my step daughter since day one and it won't get better but still i feel my kidsand others need to know NOW more then ever that this is how life is it's long, boring, sad and unfair. i pains me to see jordon sad b\c the kids wn't play with him on recess but in the end i know it is building a strong independant individual. (and now i am crying so i will end this) we can't make everyone in the world be nice and it's pointless to hide the meanness of the world from our kids.

Trisha

From: A. M. <plantpowered@...> Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 7:34:56 AMSubject: Re: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 4:38 AM, Donna M-P <donna112520> wrote:

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as "Friends" schools. There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA! I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their "faith" - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called "Meetings for Worship" and there is a lot of silence! No real "service". People speak as they feel lead to speak. I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out. It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell.

As far as the schools/academics. It really isn't all that different from a traditional school - they learn the basics. The benefits are the small classes - which allow the kids to get more individual attention and progress at their own pace. They are also not receiving federal or state monies so they are not obligated to follow the "schedule" in terms of the "no child left behind" stuff, which in my opinion is a nice idea, but does not work in practice. Kids are all different and will progress at different levels not on an artifiical schedule that someone sets for them (please note that I have no education experience, just talking from the top of my head!). Tying funding to performance of students makes sense on one level (b/c you really do want the schools to do their jobs!) but not on another b/c I think what happens is they end up pushing some kids along who are not ready for the next step (which is

counterproductive) and I think there ends up being a lot of "teaching to the test". For instance, in the school where is they do administer standardized testing, but it is only for "informational" internal purposes. One interesting result is that in math calculations, the kids test "average" (on grade level) but in mathematical reasoning the 1st graders tend to score in the 4th grade range - which tells me they are teaching th kids to THINK not to memorize. When I think of the way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here, they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really memorize those darned tables!

There is also a very open and accepting atmosphere and the kids are really taught to respect one another. The atmosphere is mostly what I like (academics can be taught anywhere to some extent)- the kids there are truly all very NICE and RESPECTFUL to adults and to each other. There is no bullying or "meaness" tolerated, which I think makes the educational experience much better. In so many schools the academics are overshadowed by a poor atmosphere which allows intolerance of others, disrespect of others, bullying, etc. which tends to make kids hate going to school and then associate the bad experience in school to a dislike of learning. I would really like to keep my DD there for her whole school "career" but it is pricey. I hate the thought of her going to middle or high school with all the cliqueness/nastines s. It was bad when I was a teenager, it is probably worse now. I do think

she would benefit greatly though from the small classes and open atmosphere. She has really come a long way in this school both socially and academically. She loves school, learning and is very confident now with other kids and adults.

Take care! Sorry to ramble.

Donna>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,:*carolyn.

Guest guest

I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others.  There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

My son had horrible experiences in Junior High -- a really rotten place. ...and then one day he said he wanted to die. You should have seen his face that day. It was no joke. We took him to therapy, and after several sessions, the therapist said our kid was perfectly sane, but in a very bad situation. Along with the therapist, we tried to work with his school, but they couldn't help. So, we pulled him out.

We homeschooled all through high school, and we provided many socializing opportunities through wonderful activities with other, creative, bright, and good kids through an art and film program. We used a state charter school for the home school. He met with certified teachers regularly.

He had the opportunity to heal during those years. It took a long time after the abuse he suffered. He is now an honors student in college working on his second degree. He's perfectly happy, perfectly sane, and able to cope with crappy people with grace and aplomb. He's hilarious, actually. No victim mentality.

He works, he volunteers, and he is studying psychology. I think that if you plant a seed in poor soil, you hurt its chances to thrive in the long run. If we had found one of those Friends schools nearby, I definitely would have looked closely at it.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...> wrote:

Donna,

hi 1st i want to say that i commend u for ur choice to use a Quaker school, they do have tremendious scores and learning levels, when joron reached school age i check into EVERYTHING. i didn't want him to go to public schools because of the cliquiness, and the bullying and all of it the school shooting everything it was going to happen to my son. today and since day one he has been n rolled in public school. yes i love love love the idea of small classrooms more one on one time learning vs memorization.

But if i have learned one thing as an adult its that life now as and adult is no diferent than life in JR HIGH. only more responcibilites if ur daughter never has to expirence what people are really like, to never expirence how catty teenage girls are how thugish boys are, how people bullying others, how poor, fat, other races, kids with glasses, kid with the wrong clothes, kids with out myspace, kids without cell phones, the girl with big boobs, tall guys, muscled guys, and what have u all get teased and tormented or like and pedastooled. then i fear she will struggle as an adult when she finally does see these things.

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520@...>

Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools 

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as " Friends " schools.  There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA!  I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their " faith " - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called " Meetings for Worship " and there is a lot of silence!  No real " service " .  People speak as they feel lead to speak.  I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out.  It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell......              

Guest guest

I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others.  There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

My son had horrible experiences in Junior High -- a really rotten place. ...and then one day he said he wanted to die. You should have seen his face that day. It was no joke. We took him to therapy, and after several sessions, the therapist said our kid was perfectly sane, but in a very bad situation. Along with the therapist, we tried to work with his school, but they couldn't help. So, we pulled him out.

We homeschooled all through high school, and we provided many socializing opportunities through wonderful activities with other, creative, bright, and good kids through an art and film program. We used a state charter school for the home school. He met with certified teachers regularly.

He had the opportunity to heal during those years. It took a long time after the abuse he suffered. He is now an honors student in college working on his second degree. He's perfectly happy, perfectly sane, and able to cope with crappy people with grace and aplomb. He's hilarious, actually. No victim mentality.

He works, he volunteers, and he is studying psychology. I think that if you plant a seed in poor soil, you hurt its chances to thrive in the long run. If we had found one of those Friends schools nearby, I definitely would have looked closely at it.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...> wrote:

Donna,

hi 1st i want to say that i commend u for ur choice to use a Quaker school, they do have tremendious scores and learning levels, when joron reached school age i check into EVERYTHING. i didn't want him to go to public schools because of the cliquiness, and the bullying and all of it the school shooting everything it was going to happen to my son. today and since day one he has been n rolled in public school. yes i love love love the idea of small classrooms more one on one time learning vs memorization.

But if i have learned one thing as an adult its that life now as and adult is no diferent than life in JR HIGH. only more responcibilites if ur daughter never has to expirence what people are really like, to never expirence how catty teenage girls are how thugish boys are, how people bullying others, how poor, fat, other races, kids with glasses, kid with the wrong clothes, kids with out myspace, kids without cell phones, the girl with big boobs, tall guys, muscled guys, and what have u all get teased and tormented or like and pedastooled. then i fear she will struggle as an adult when she finally does see these things.

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520@...>

Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools 

Hi Jen,

They are usually referred to as " Friends " schools.  There are probably some near you - although they are generally more prevalent around areas with a lot of Quakers - mostly PA!  I'm not a Quaker so I'm not sure about their " faith " - they are Christians but their worship services are different from what you see in other Christian chruches - they are called " Meetings for Worship " and there is a lot of silence!  No real " service " .  People speak as they feel lead to speak.  I would actually like to go to a service at some point to check it out.  It is a very introspective religion from what I can tell......              

Guest guest

I have the exact thoughts as you .  Why not give them the most and best if you can?   Agree 100%.  Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart.  I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason.  However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school.  Really great  I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys. 

Anyway, I agree totally.  There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the " real world " , and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different " sheltered school " .

DarcyOn Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, A. M. <plantpowered@...> wrote:

Guest guest

I have the exact thoughts as you .  Why not give them the most and best if you can?   Agree 100%.  Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart.  I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason.  However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school.  Really great  I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys. 

Anyway, I agree totally.  There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the " real world " , and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different " sheltered school " .

Guest guest

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.

My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no " learned helplessness " allowed.

I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go.  You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.

I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind. On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkie@...> wrote:

Guest guest

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.

My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no " learned helplessness " allowed.

I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go.  You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.

I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind. On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkie@...> wrote:

Guest guest

I think the more confident a child is growing up, the more likely they are to be able to deal effectively with the "mean people" they encounter when they're older. I don't think deliberately exposing them to rotten stuff toughens them at all, it usually has the opposite effect. I don't want to shelter my kids but I also don't want to put them in situations which I don't think will be likely to benefit them just hoping it will. It is a tough call, sometimes, knowing what will benefit them and what might have less helpful effects though. Parenting... not for the weak!

Guest guest

I think the more confident a child is growing up, the more likely they are to be able to deal effectively with the "mean people" they encounter when they're older. I don't think deliberately exposing them to rotten stuff toughens them at all, it usually has the opposite effect. I don't want to shelter my kids but I also don't want to put them in situations which I don't think will be likely to benefit them just hoping it will. It is a tough call, sometimes, knowing what will benefit them and what might have less helpful effects though. Parenting... not for the weak!

Guest guest

Your post brought joy to my heart, ! It took a lot of guts, determination and unselfishness to do what you did. I know you can't see doing anything differently but, unfortunately, I know a lot of parents who would have given up...

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no "learned helplessness" allowed. I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go. You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkiegmail> wrote:

I have the exact thoughts as you . Why not give them the most and best if you can? Agree 100%. Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart. I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason. However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school. Really great I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys. Anyway, I agree totally. There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the "real world", and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different "sheltered school".Darcy

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, A. M. <plantpoweredgmail> wrote:

I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

Guest guest

Your post brought joy to my heart, ! It took a lot of guts, determination and unselfishness to do what you did. I know you can't see doing anything differently but, unfortunately, I know a lot of parents who would have given up...

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no "learned helplessness" allowed. I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go. You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkiegmail> wrote:

I have the exact thoughts as you . Why not give them the most and best if you can? Agree 100%. Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart. I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason. However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school. Really great I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys. Anyway, I agree totally. There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the "real world", and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different "sheltered school".Darcy

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, A. M. <plantpoweredgmail> wrote:

I have a different take on this. I personally feel that there are enough opportunities in life for kids and adults to experience bad behavior from others. There are ENDLESS opportunites for that. No shortage. If you can provide a healthier environment for your children while in their formative years, they'll be fine when they're older. They'll be able to cope with crappy people just fine if they grow up healthy and sane.

Guest guest

Thanks so much . I'm grateful that we found another way. We had choices.On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM, <nancydewolf@...> wrote:

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no " learned helplessness " allowed. I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go.  You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkie@...> wrote:

I have the exact thoughts as you .  Why not give them the most and best if you can?   Agree 100%.  Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart.  I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason.  However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school.  Really great  I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys.  Anyway, I agree totally.  There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the " real world " , and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different " sheltered school " .Darcy

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, A. M. <plantpowered@...> wrote:

Guest guest

Thanks so much . I'm grateful that we found another way. We had choices.On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM, <nancydewolf@...> wrote:

I'm so glad you have a great school, and how cool is it that he has relatives there!! That is a joy. I'm glad for your kids, Darcy. A private school wouldn't necessarily be better. You're right about that.My son's elementary school was fantastic. So was his preschool. The local junior high was so poorly run at the time. Such a mess. His teachers had lost control. They had given up. Did I want him to accept this as a pattern for life? Did I want him to think that his career would be like this: that he should have low expectations for other people's behavior? Was I going to tell him to suck it up and get used to it? Um, no " learned helplessness " allowed. I wanted him to grow up knowing that there are places where people care about what they're doing, and where people have high standards and expectations for excellent performance and excellent relationships, and that you can create those environments. You can plant those seeds wherever you go.  You can do this if you have a healthy heart, mind and soul.I also wanted him to know that you don't leave your loved ones twisting in the wind.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Darcy Ledman <exercise.junkie@...> wrote:

I have the exact thoughts as you .  Why not give them the most and best if you can?   Agree 100%.  Sawyer, my oldest son is exceptionally smart.  I was half-tempted to send him to a private school for that reason.  However, his cousins go to the school where he's at, and it's also a great public school.  Really great  I used to work there before I quit to stay home with my boys.  Anyway, I agree totally.  There will be plenty of opportunity for them to experience the " real world " , and they are still going to have their own tough experiences as well going to a different " sheltered school " .Darcy

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM, A. M. <plantpowered@...> wrote:

Guest guest

That's very interesting. I thought that the Quaker religion disappeared many years ago after the pilgrims arrived.....I have heard of "The Friends" so it makes sense why I wouldn't have heard of the Quaker religion any more. Here in Michigan we have a few Montessori schools (spelled wrong I'm sure) they have a different philosophy of teaching as well but I don't know that much about it. I remember memorizing those darn multiplication tables as well which is never a good way to really "LEARN" something. I hope that you can keep in that school at least through Middle School. Jen>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,:*carolyn.

Guest guest

That's very interesting. I thought that the Quaker religion disappeared many years ago after the pilgrims arrived.....I have heard of "The Friends" so it makes sense why I wouldn't have heard of the Quaker religion any more. Here in Michigan we have a few Montessori schools (spelled wrong I'm sure) they have a different philosophy of teaching as well but I don't know that much about it. I remember memorizing those darn multiplication tables as well which is never a good way to really "LEARN" something. I hope that you can keep in that school at least through Middle School. Jen>Carolyn, we are dying to hear about YOUR new job! C'mon!oh!!! i dont have a new job at the moment, sorry my mentioning that was kind of vague. im thinking of applying for one (i know the woman who does the interviewing and she said she would hire me). i just have find time to do up my resume and fill out the application, etc. another thing to procrastinate about ::sigh:: if i get something, i will let ya know,:*carolyn.

Guest guest

Trish, I disagree with you about people ALWAYS being treated badly from Junior High on because I was one of those kids that was picked on. I was the new kid at an elementary school and I was NEVER accepted not through Junior High or High School. I would have been better off in a school that was nurturing with nice kids like my former elementary school was. SURE some kids in college weren't nice to me but it wasn't as bad as when I was younger. JenFrom: Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...>Subject: Re: [Exercise

Videos] Jen OT: Quaker Schools Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 8:35 PM

Donna,

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520>Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Hi Jen,

Guest guest

Trish, I disagree with you about people ALWAYS being treated badly from Junior High on because I was one of those kids that was picked on. I was the new kid at an elementary school and I was NEVER accepted not through Junior High or High School. I would have been better off in a school that was nurturing with nice kids like my former elementary school was. SURE some kids in college weren't nice to me but it wasn't as bad as when I was younger. JenFrom: Trisha Brandt <wilbty1@...>Subject: Re: [Exercise

Videos] Jen OT: Quaker Schools Date: Friday, August 7, 2009, 8:35 PM

Donna,

trish

Donna-MP <donna112520>Sent: Friday, August 7, 2009 6:38:17 AMSubject: Jen OT: Quaker Schools

Hi Jen,

Guest guest

Donna M-P wrote:

>When I think of the

> way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the

> tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here,

> they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really

> memorize those darned tables!

hi donna - im having this problem with my 10 year old. you see,

the public school skipped him over grade 3, which seems to be the

grade that kids are learning times tables around here. (they

put him into a split 3/4 class and the teacher just taught all of

them grade 4 math... ugh!, long story... but ds didnt do so well,

even after doing the grade 4 material again the next year while

in a proper grade 4 class :(

he really needs to know the times tables for grade 5 (he is going

into a grade 4/5 split this year which should also help him, but

still he should know this stuff already). the thing is, i never

had luck memorizing the times tables when i was a kid and ive

tried to get ds to memorize them, but he just cant seem to do it.

im no teacher, especially when it comes to math, so im

wondering what the best way is to teach him the times tables.

maybe i should get 8 year old ds, who is going into grade 3 in

september, to teach him.... LOL. no, seriously, do you have

any ideas that might help?

Guest guest

Donna M-P wrote:

>When I think of the

> way I learned multiplication in school it was memorization of the

> tables, not an understanding of why 3X3 is 9. That came later. Here,

> they seem to teach that first, and then there is no need to really

> memorize those darned tables!

hi donna - im having this problem with my 10 year old. you see,

the public school skipped him over grade 3, which seems to be the

grade that kids are learning times tables around here. (they

put him into a split 3/4 class and the teacher just taught all of

them grade 4 math... ugh!, long story... but ds didnt do so well,

even after doing the grade 4 material again the next year while

in a proper grade 4 class :(

he really needs to know the times tables for grade 5 (he is going

into a grade 4/5 split this year which should also help him, but

still he should know this stuff already). the thing is, i never

had luck memorizing the times tables when i was a kid and ive

tried to get ds to memorize them, but he just cant seem to do it.

im no teacher, especially when it comes to math, so im

wondering what the best way is to teach him the times tables.

maybe i should get 8 year old ds, who is going into grade 3 in

september, to teach him.... LOL. no, seriously, do you have

any ideas that might help?