RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is a common side effect of K tablets and reason we recommend DASHing. One cup of low Na V-8 gives you 20 mEq of K. How much are you on?DASHing by lowering Na intake helps you retain K better so dont need to take so much.CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 10:28 AM, a_de_haan wrote: Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication. Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg. I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994. Any ideas? Arend de Haan The Netherland

Guest guest

My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Clarence GrimVerzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 17:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism CC: Clarence GrimOnderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets This is a common side effect of K tablets and reason we recommend DASHing. One cup of low Na V-8 gives you 20 mEq of K. How much are you on?DASHing by lowering Na intake helps you retain K better so dont need to take so much. CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 10:28 AM, a_de_haan wrote: Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan

Guest guest

In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend Van: Valarie Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan

Guest guest

Look for the tomato/veggie drink in the market called V-8. But only use the low sodium or spicy version as regular is loaded with Na. One of the best source of K we have found.CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Arend de Haan wrote: My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what "a cup of low Na V-8" is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Clarence GrimVerzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 17:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism CC: Clarence GrimOnderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets This is a common side effect of K tablets and reason we recommend DASHing. One cup of low Na V-8 gives you 20 mEq of K. How much are you on?DASHing by lowering Na intake helps you retain K better so dont need to take so much. CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 10:28 AM, a_de_haan wrote: Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

Look for V-8 and read the labels. Let us know what you find there. Are you a licorice eater? The Dutch have the best.Should have both Na and K on the label. On May 23, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Arend de Haan wrote: In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend Van: Valarie Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what "a cup of low Na V-8" is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan

Guest guest

to convert mg K to mM or mEq K divide by 40. Goal with DASH is 4700 mg.K, 1500 Na.CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Arend de Haan wrote: My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what "a cup of low Na V-8" is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Clarence GrimVerzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 17:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism CC: Clarence GrimOnderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets This is a common side effect of K tablets and reason we recommend DASHing. One cup of low Na V-8 gives you 20 mEq of K. How much are you on?DASHing by lowering Na intake helps you retain K better so dont need to take so much. CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 10:28 AM, a_de_haan wrote: Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

If I may jump in here . . .

The goal with DASH is to try to add potassium and lower sodium through dietary

means. If one can add potassium via the diet, it will be easier on the gut than

taking a tablet form of K (however, some on this board have noted that they need

to do both).

As Dr. Grim previously stated the goal is to have 4700 mg per day of K via the

foods you eat. Keep your sodium intake under 1500 mg per day.

Watch out for hidden sodium in your foods in such things as baked goods, sauces,

soups, frozen foods and meats (many food suppliers inject sodium into raw and

prepared meats). When dining out ask that they not add salt to your food, ask

for no sauces and no butter.

If you don't like low sodium V-8, you can also use prune or apricot juice

Get the DASH book, it really helps. Also, in the beginning you may wish to keep

a journal of all that goes into your mouth and then count your mg. of K and Na.

Hopefully your stomach will settle down if you can increase your dietary K.

Welcome to the group!

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by

> > using many years potassium as a medication.

> >

> > Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that

> > year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.

> >

> > I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems

> > with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I

> > started using potassium in 1994.

> >

> > Any ideas?

> >

> > Arend de Haan

> > The Netherland

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Maybe. I have been battling anemia and had some blood positive stools this year (only the guiaic strip, nothing I can see, but I have not had an upper GI yet just the colonoscopy and it was fine - minus hemorrhoids, but they don't seem to be causing it. One thought is it could be from the chronic potassium and the meds I was on, but we do not know for sure and my iron studies seem not to point to just one things so far. Occasionally on potassium I have had some peptic ulcer like sytmptoms, but not usually. It's possible.

From: a_de_haan <arenddehaan@...>Subject: stomach damage, caused by potassium tabletshyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:28 AM

Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

Have you had urinary testing for sodium and potassium? Results? That usually tells how well you're DASHing. Be aware that meat is often infused with sodium. You have to look for uninfused meat. Have you had aldosterone and renin tests? Results? Have you had a CT of the adrenals? Why are you taking two B-Blockers? Where is your blood pressure with your combination? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend.

Guest guest

One of the reasons some of the early K pills where changed or dropped was they could sit on the stomach gut and eat a hole in the wall of the gut. If you do a pubmed you can prob find reports. They then make slow K which was the KCL in a wax matrix. The K would diffuse out but the pill would come out in the stools looking whole and folks would call to see what the problem was.CE Grim MDOn May 23, 2012, at 1:32 PM, Bingham wrote: Maybe. I have been battling anemia and had some blood positive stools this year (only the guiaic strip, nothing I can see, but I have not had an upper GI yet just the colonoscopy and it was fine - minus hemorrhoids, but they don't seem to be causing it. One thought is it could be from the chronic potassium and the meds I was on, but we do not know for sure and my iron studies seem not to point to just one things so far. Occasionally on potassium I have had some peptic ulcer like sytmptoms, but not usually. It's possible. From: a_de_haan <arenddehaan@...>Subject: stomach damage, caused by potassium tabletshyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:28 AM Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

You should be able to find V8 in NL:

http://www.v8juice.nl/

Try to find the low sodium version of it. It has >1.1g of potassium per 12oz can

and it should be much better for your digestive tract.

tiu

>

> My intake was 3.000 mg K.

>

> Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg

> K.

> I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.

>

> I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.

>

> Is this part of the DASHing diet?

>

> Can I get this in The Netherlands?

>

> Thanks for your time and information!

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Arend de Haan

Guest guest

, at my volunteer job today one of the men mentioned that he has gluten intolerance and one of his major symptoms was anemia. As soon as he said that I thought of you. Don't know if it's relevant to your situation, but thought I'd pass it along.Dianne

From: a_de_haan <arenddehaan@...>Subject: stomach damage, caused by potassium tabletshyperaldosteronism Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:28 AM

Has anyone experience with damage of the (wall of the) stomach, by using many years potassium as a medication.Until 2006 the tablets had a white shell weight 1000 mg, since that year the tableys (Slow-K) have a bron shell and weigth 600 mg.I suspect that the change of type of tablet causes stomach problems with me, before 2006 I never had any stgomach problems since I started using potassium in 1994.Any ideas?Arend de HaanThe Netherland

Guest guest

They checked that sometime back because of the thyroid troubles I was having. I know they told me that it was negative (the antibodies I think is what they test) but that is one set of medical records, or labs, I don't have in my possession. The other thinking and I am going to see a rheumatologist, but haven't yet, is they were a little concerned about some rheum disorder like lupus, which 1/2 of all lupus patients report anemia in some studies, but we don't know yet.

Guest guest

Dr. Grim, Thanks for your contributions!I've don't know any usual brand in NL that produces V8.But it must be available in specialized shop, will continue searching.No, I am not eating licorice (drop in Dutch), since I experienced to have hypertension at 28 yrs. Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Clarence GrimVerzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:56Aan: hyperaldosteronism CC: Clarence GrimOnderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Look for V-8 and read the labels. Let us know what you find there. Are you a licorice eater? The Dutch have the best. Should have both Na and K on the label. and:Look for the tomato/veggie drink in the market called V-8. But only use the low sodium or spicy version as regular is loaded with Na. One of the best source of K we have found. To convert mg K to mM or mEq K divide by 40. Goal with DASH is 4700 mg K, 1500 Na. On May 23, 2012, at 12:46 PM, Arend de Haan wrote: In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend Van: Valarie Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan My intake was 3.000 mg K.Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg K. I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.Is this part of the DASHing diet?Can I get this in The Netherlands?Thanks for your time and information!Kind regards,Arend de Haan

Guest guest

It is made by Soup.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low

> sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily

> medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg

> K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K

> immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0

> mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following

> a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any

> fat and low calories.

>

> Arend

>

>

>

> Van: Valarie

> Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05

> Aan: hyperaldosteronism

> Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium

> tablets

>

>

>

>

>

> Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get

> low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you

> DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?

>

>

>

> Val

>

>

>

> From: hyperaldosteronism

> [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan

>

>

> My intake was 3.000 mg K.

>

> Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg

> K.

> I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.

>

> I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.

>

> Is this part of the DASHing diet?

>

> Can I get this in The Netherlands?

>

> Thanks for your time and information!

>

> Kind regards,

>

> Arend de Haan

>

Guest guest

In 1995 I was diagnosed for hyperaldosteronism, based on (inter alia) aldosterone and renin tests. In 1994 I had venous sampling: but that was not succesfull due to an abnormal pattern of the veins. I had a CT of my adrenals three times: 1992, 2000 and 2008, always with the result: enlarged adrenals on both sides, no adenomas. I've been subscribe atenolol as an extra medication (next to spironolactone) to lower the blood pressure. This is still too high I think, especially the systolic value: about 155 to 165 mm Hg, diastolic is OK with about 78. Propranolol is taken 30 mg daily two give a regular heartbeat.As far as I know, in our country doctors do not use any diets, treating hypertension or hyperaldosteronism. In the best case it is advisable to mind your salt (sodium) intake. So DASHing is not a standard thing to do in The Netherlands. Since I have problems with my stomach due to potassium, I'm now very interested in (partly) replacing that " drug " by food, which has a high amount of potassium in it. Yesterday I bought on ebay 2 books about DASHing, and I started to search for V8 availability in NL. Arend Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Valarie Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 20:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Have you had urinary testing for sodium and potassium? Results? That usually tells how well you're DASHing. Be aware that meat is often infused with sodium. You have to look for uninfused meat. Have you had aldosterone and renin tests? Results? Have you had a CT of the adrenals? Why are you taking two B-Blockers? Where is your blood pressure with your combination? Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de HaanIn The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend.

Guest guest

Yes, I have written them an old-fashioned letter with my question: in which shops can I buy V8 juice?No e-mail address available on that site. Van: lvasiliu@...Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 23:58Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets You should be able to find V8 in NL:http://www.v8juice.nl/Try to find the low sodium version of it. It has >1.1g of potassium per 12oz can and it should be much better for your digestive tract.tiu>> My intake was 3.000 mg K.> > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg> K. > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.> > I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.> > Is this part of the DASHing diet?> > Can I get this in The Netherlands?> > Thanks for your time and information!> > Kind regards,> > Arend de Haan

Guest guest

I'v searched for V8 on http://www.campbellsoup.com/Home, but unfortunately with no results. Van: Francis Bill SUSPECTED PAVerzonden: donderdag 24 mei 2012 15:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets It is made by Soup.> > > > > > > > > > In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low> sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily> medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg> K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K> immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0> mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following> a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any> fat and low calories.> > Arend> > > > Van: Valarie > Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05> Aan: hyperaldosteronism > Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium> tablets> > > > > > Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get> low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you> DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?> > > > Val> > > > From: hyperaldosteronism > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan> > > My intake was 3.000 mg K.> > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg> K. > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.> > I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.> > Is this part of the DASHing diet?> > Can I get this in The Netherlands?> > Thanks for your time and information!> > Kind regards,> > Arend de Haan>

Guest guest

Most developed countries adopt or join the consensus with the American Heart Associations recommendations. I can't imagine any doctors in any country anywhere not having some understanding of the relationship between diet and health.

Likely, your medicines help some at lowering your blood pressure, but they aren't the only answer. You are probably over salting the medication - getting too much salt in your diet - and we know that at some limits sodium it negates the effects of the medication in us, because we have a problem. The person without hyperaldosteronism doesn't have to worry as much, though we all should lower our salt intake.

So the key may be you, not the medicine or anything else. I realize we all want a pill to fix everything but if you lower your salt (sodium) intake to less than 1500mg a day I bet it is just the extra you need to lower your blood pressure to a respectable and good level (that means not just putting salt on things as that is very little, but watching what you buy and eat and eating foods and buying foods low in salt), Hopefully, you know your potassium levels too and are on that if you need to be because if you are outsalting the medication it is likely you are also losing potassium (maybe not). Do you get up to urinate alot at night? If so, you can bet you're losing potassium and if so you probably feel tired, foggy, weak, etc.

Here is a link to the DASH in Dutch

http://www.news-medical.net/health/DASH-Diet-What-is-the-DASH-Diet-(Dutch).aspx

From: Arend de Haan <arenddehaan@...>Subject: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tabletshyperaldosteronism Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

In 1995 I was diagnosed for hyperaldosteronism, based on (inter alia) aldosterone and renin tests. In 1994 I had venous sampling: but that was not succesfull due to an abnormal pattern of the veins. I had a CT of my adrenals three times: 1992, 2000 and 2008, always with the result: enlarged adrenals on both sides, no adenomas. I've been subscribe atenolol as an extra medication (next to spironolactone) to lower the blood pressure. This is still too high I think, especially the systolic value: about 155 to 165 mm Hg, diastolic is OK with about 78. Propranolol is taken 30 mg daily two give a regular heartbeat.

As far as I know, in our country doctors do not use any diets, treating hypertension or hyperaldosteronism. In the best case it is advisable to mind your salt (sodium) intake. So DASHing is not a standard thing to do in The Netherlands. Since I have problems with my stomach due to potassium, I'm now very interested in (partly) replacing that "drug" by food, which has a high amount of potassium in it. Yesterday I bought on ebay 2 books about DASHing, and I started to search for V8 availability in NL.

Arend

Van: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] Namens Valarie Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 20:46Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets

Have you had urinary testing for sodium and potassium? Results? That usually tells how well you're DASHing. Be aware that meat is often infused with sodium. You have to look for uninfused meat. Have you had aldosterone and renin tests? Results? Have you had a CT of the adrenals? Why are you taking two B-Blockers? Where is your blood pressure with your combination?

Val

From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan

In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0 mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm following a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any fat and low calories.Arend

Guest guest

Arend;

Do you own a juicer? You can make your own low sodium vegetable juice. Here is

one of many recipes you can find on the internet:

6 medium carrots

1 small beet (wash well)

3 large tomatoes

2 cups baby spinach (may increase if you like)

1 habanero pepper (or more to taste if you like it spicy)

1 red bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

3 stalks celery

1/4 sweet onion

1/2 garlic clove

3 kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful)

chili pepper

sea salt (be careful on this)

Read more:

http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-v8-juice-raw-recipe-337449#ixzz1w5lkZJYW

You can find sodium content of foods at:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdf

You can find potassium content of foods at:

Sodium naturally occurs in food (as does potassium). The above recipe contains

250 mg of sodium. I did the math and also calculated the potassium and the

above recipe has a whopping 3522 mg K. Want to cut back the sodium, then leave

out the 3 stalks of celery which alone contain 96 mg Na (which will also delete

312 mg K).

You can find an abundant amount of vegetable juice recipes on the internet. If

you know how to can, you would be able to make big batches at a time.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low

> > sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily

> > medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg

> > K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K

> > immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0

> > mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm

> following

> > a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any

> > fat and low calories.

> >

> > Arend

> >

> >

> >

> > Van: Valarie

> > Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05

> > Aan: hyperaldosteronism

> <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40>

> > Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium

> > tablets

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get

> > low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you

> > DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?

> >

> >

> >

> > Val

> >

> >

> >

> > From: hyperaldosteronism

> > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism

> <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan

> >

> >

> > My intake was 3.000 mg K.

> >

> > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg

> > K.

> > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.

> >

> > I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.

> >

> > Is this part of the DASHing diet?

> >

> > Can I get this in The Netherlands?

> >

> > Thanks for your time and information!

> >

> > Kind regards,

> >

> > Arend de Haan

> >

>

Guest guest

, thank you very much for your time and message.Yes, we do have a juicer. Good idea to make the juice ourselves. The link you mentioned at " You can find potassium content of foods at " : doesn't work, could you please resend?Making the vegetables juice by yourself, mean that we will have to calculate per recipe how much Na and K it contains.But I'm glad to do so, if my medication can be reduced, using a better diet in relation to my hyperaldosteronism!Arend Van: dsmemoryVerzonden: zondag 27 mei 2012 19:53Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Arend;Do you own a juicer? You can make your own low sodium vegetable juice. Here is one of many recipes you can find on the internet:6 medium carrots 1 small beet (wash well) 3 large tomatoes 2 cups baby spinach (may increase if you like) 1 habanero pepper (or more to taste if you like it spicy) 1 red bell pepper 1 green bell pepper 3 stalks celery 1/4 sweet onion 1/2 garlic clove 3 kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful) chili pepper sea salt (be careful on this)Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-v8-juice-raw-recipe-337449#ixzz1w5lkZJYWYou can find sodium content of foods at:http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdfYou can find potassium content of foods at:http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdfSodium naturally occurs in food (as does potassium). The above recipe contains 250 mg of sodium. I did the math and also calculated the potassium and the above recipe has a whopping 3522 mg K. Want to cut back the sodium, then leave out the 3 stalks of celery which alone contain 96 mg Na (which will also delete 312 mg K).You can find an abundant amount of vegetable juice recipes on the internet. If you know how to can, you would be able to make big batches at a time.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low> > sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily> > medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg> > K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K> > immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0> > mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm> following> > a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any> > fat and low calories.> > > > Arend> > > > > > > > Van: Valarie > > Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05> > Aan: hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> > > Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium> > tablets> > > > > > > > > > > > Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get> > low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you> > DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?> > > > > > > > Val> > > > > > > > From: hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> > > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan> > > > > > My intake was 3.000 mg K.> > > > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg> > K. > > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.> > > > I don't understand what " a cup of low Na V-8 " is.> > > > Is this part of the DASHing diet?> > > > Can I get this in The Netherlands?> > > > Thanks for your time and information!> > > > Kind regards,> > > > Arend de Haan> >>

Guest guest

You can also make a pulpy version of V-8 by using a blender, Vita-Mix or Thermomix and the vegetables you have with added water. Replace the salt with Balsamic vinegar and add a few dashes of some of the no-salt seasoning blends commonly available. A teaspoon or two of olive oil added makes it very yummy. You won't miss the salt and the fiber from the whole vegetable is better for you anyway. From: dsmemory <dsmemory@...>Subject: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tabletshyperaldosteronism Date: Sunday, May 27, 2012, 10:52 AM

Arend;

Do you own a juicer? You can make your own low sodium vegetable juice. Here is one of many recipes you can find on the internet:

6 medium carrots

1 small beet (wash well)

3 large tomatoes

2 cups baby spinach (may increase if you like)

1 habanero pepper (or more to taste if you like it spicy)

1 red bell pepper

1 green bell pepper

3 stalks celery

1/4 sweet onion

1/2 garlic clove

3 kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful)

chili pepper

sea salt (be careful on this)

Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-v8-juice-raw-recipe-337449#ixzz1w5lkZJYW

You can find sodium content of foods at:

You can find potassium content of foods at:

Sodium naturally occurs in food (as does potassium). The above recipe contains 250 mg of sodium. I did the math and also calculated the potassium and the above recipe has a whopping 3522 mg K. Want to cut back the sodium, then leave out the 3 stalks of celery which alone contain 96 mg Na (which will also delete 312 mg K).

You can find an abundant amount of vegetable juice recipes on the internet. If you know how to can, you would be able to make big batches at a time.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low

> > sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily

> > medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg

> > K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K

> > immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0

> > mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm

> following

> > a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any

> > fat and low calories.

> >

> > Arend

> >

> >

> >

> > Van: Valarie

> > Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05

> > Aan: hyperaldosteronism

> > Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium

> > tablets

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get

> > low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you

> > DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?

> >

> >

> >

> > Val

> >

> >

> >

> > From: hyperaldosteronism

> > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism

> <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan

> >

> >

> > My intake was 3.000 mg K.

> >

> > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg

> > K.

> > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.

> >

> > I don't understand what "a cup of low Na V-8" is.

> >

> > Is this part of the DASHing diet?

> >

> > Can I get this in The Netherlands?

> >

> > Thanks for your time and information!

> >

> > Kind regards,

> >

> > Arend de Haan

> >

>

Guest guest

Arend,

Do you have Carrefour where you are? It seems that Carrefour has it:

http://eshop.carrefour.eu/nl/dranken/tomaten-groentensap/v8-groentesap-4-x-0-33-\

l/PID2/19486/10629

There is a Netherlands also (in Utrecht):

Head office :

CAMPBELL'S NETHERLANDS B.V.

Heycopstraat 42 3521 EN Utrecht

NETHERLANDS

Tel: +31 30292 37 11

Fax: +31 30294 27 76

http://www.europages.co.uk/CAMPBELLS-NETHERLANDS-BV/bch-EUR-NLD008150-00101-25-x\

x/company-information.html

Hope this helps.

tiu

>

> Yes, I have written them an old-fashioned letter with my question: in which

> shops can I buy V8 juice?

> No e-mail address available on that site.

>

Guest guest

http://ndb.nal.usda.govMay your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn May 27, 2012, at 13:15, Arend de Haan <arenddehaan@...> wrote:

, thank you very much for your time and message.Yes, we do have a juicer. Good idea to make the juice ourselves. The link you mentioned at "You can find potassium content of foods at": doesn't work, could you please resend?Making the vegetables juice by yourself, mean that we will have to calculate per recipe how much Na and K it contains.But I'm glad to do so, if my medication can be reduced, using a better diet in relation to my hyperaldosteronism!Arend Van: dsmemoryVerzonden: zondag 27 mei 2012 19:53Aan: hyperaldosteronism Onderwerp: Re: stomach damage, caused by potassium tablets Arend;Do you own a juicer? You can make your own low sodium vegetable juice. Here is one of many recipes you can find on the internet:6 medium carrots 1 small beet (wash well) 3 large tomatoes 2 cups baby spinach (may increase if you like) 1 habanero pepper (or more to taste if you like it spicy) 1 red bell pepper 1 green bell pepper 3 stalks celery 1/4 sweet onion

1/2 garlic clove 3 kale leaves (a little goes a long way so be careful) chili pepper sea salt (be careful on this)Read more: http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-v8-juice-raw-recipe-337449#ixzz1w5lkZJYWYou can find sodium content of foods at:http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdfYou can find potassium content of foods at:http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a307.pdfSodium naturally occurs in food (as does potassium). The above recipe contains 250 mg of sodium. I did the math and also calculated the potassium and the above recipe has a whopping 3522 mg K. Want to cut back the sodium, then leave out the 3 stalks of celery which

alone contain 96 mg Na (which will also delete 312 mg K).You can find an abundant amount of vegetable juice recipes on the internet. If you know how to can, you would be able to make big batches at a time.> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > In The Netherlands indeed one can purchase V-8, I'm not sure if it is low> > sodium, shall ask that company in The Hague about this aspect. My daily> >

medication in 300 mg spiro + 75 mg atenolol + 30 mg propranolol + 3.000 mg> > K. Testresults: K in blood between 3.5 and 4.0 mmol/l. Taking less K> > immediately resukts in falling down of K value in blood tot below 3.0> > mmol/l. Male, 61 yrs, 6 feet, 92 kg. No, I am not Dashing, but I'm> following> > a similar diet with many vegetables and fruits, enough protein, hardly any> > fat and low calories.> > > > Arend> > > > > > > > Van: Valarie > > Verzonden: woensdag 23 mei 2012 19:05> > Aan: hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> > > Onderwerp: RE: stomach damage, caused by potassium> > tablets> > > > > >

> > > > > > Can you get V-8 juice in the Netherlands? If so, you should be able to get> > low sodium (Na) V-8. Why are you taking so much potassium (K)? Are you> > DASHing? Are you on HTN medicines? Where are your test results?> > > > > > > > Val> > > > > > > > From: hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> > > [mailto:hyperaldosteronism > <mailto:hyperaldosteronism%40> ] On Behalf Of Arend de Haan> > > > > > My intake was 3.000 mg K.> > > > Until 2006 in 3 tablets of 1,000 mg K, since that year 5 tablets of 600 mg> > K.

> > I assume this gives me 40 mEq of K.> > > > I don't understand what "a cup of low Na V-8" is.> > > > Is this part of the DASHing diet?> > > > Can I get this in The Netherlands?> > > > Thanks for your time and information!> > > > Kind regards,> > > > Arend de Haan> >>