> asking the doctor to take him off of the drug. He seems to have

many of the

> possible side effects, high weight gain, high cholesterol, high

thyroid

> levels, low energy level, gets headaches frequently, super dry

skin, and

> these are the ones that affect his life the most. What do you have

your

> kids on to help control the behaviors?

>

> Tammy

>

Guest guest

Absolutely get him OFF Seroquel. These side effects are unacceptable for

continuing this drug. If the doctor bulks...get another doctor.

My son was on short acting Adderall for 6 years, but recently changed to

Vyvanse to help him go to sleep earlier than 2 am. ; ) There is also a new

medication in patch form. You put it on in the morning, then take it off 2

hours or so before you want your son to go to bed. I opted to try the Vyvanse

first off. It is doing well with my son, age 14.

Dee ><))))*>

>

> >

> > My son has been on seroquel for a number of years. I now am going

> to be

> > asking the doctor to take him off of the drug. He seems to have

> many of the

> > possible side effects, high weight gain, high cholesterol, high

> thyroid

> > levels, low energy level, gets headaches frequently, super dry

> skin, and

> > these are the ones that affect his life the most. What do you have

> your

> > kids on to help control the behaviors?

> >

> > Tammy

> >

>

Guest guest

Well I did explain to the doctor what I was noticing in side effects in my son and for the fact that we have had to be seeing an endocronologist for a while now, he concurred that this was a good time to try him without anything. We will see where we are at the end of the summer and determine if he needs something for attention, or perhaps " only " behavior management. He does need to sleep but over the summer I am not as worried about the sleep cycle.

ThanksTammyOn Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM, Don & Dee <pjdxxxwa@...> wrote:

Absolutely get him OFF Seroquel. These side effects are unacceptable for

continuing this drug. If the doctor bulks...get another doctor.

My son was on short acting Adderall for 6 years, but recently changed to

Vyvanse to help him go to sleep earlier than 2 am. ; ) There is also a new

medication in patch form. You put it on in the morning, then take it off 2

hours or so before you want your son to go to bed. I opted to try the Vyvanse

first off. It is doing well with my son, age 14.

Dee ><))))*>

>

> >

> > My son has been on seroquel for a number of years. I now am going

> to be

> > asking the doctor to take him off of the drug. He seems to have

> many of the

> > possible side effects, high weight gain, high cholesterol, high

> thyroid

> > levels, low energy level, gets headaches frequently, super dry

> skin, and

> > these are the ones that affect his life the most. What do you have

> your

> > kids on to help control the behaviors?

> >

> > Tammy

> >

>

Guest guest

Tammy,

Risperdal and Vyvanse have worked for my son's behavior.

DOK Grace Chapter

"Prayer without work is empty words,service without prayer is labor lost."

( ) Seroquel

My son has been on seroquel for a number of years. I now am going to be asking the doctor to take him off of the drug. He seems to have many of the possible side effects, high weight gain, high cholesterol, high thyroid levels, low energy level, gets headaches frequently, super dry skin, and these are the ones that affect his life the most. What do you have your kids on to help control the behaviors?Tammy

Guest guest

We tried Risperdal in the beginning and did wonderful at helping manage my son's behavior. The only downside I had was he gained 50# in 3 months... He has never lost and it has been a crazy cycle with his size. At turning 15 May 30th, he is over 300# and 6'3 " tall.

TammyOn Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Wallbank <w_wittmayer@...> wrote:

Tammy,

Risperdal and Vyvanse have worked for my son's behavior.

DOK Grace Chapter

" Prayer without work is empty words,service without prayer is labor lost. "

( ) Seroquel

My son has been on seroquel for a number of years. I now am going to be asking the doctor to take him off of the drug. He seems to have many of the possible side effects, high weight gain, high cholesterol, high thyroid levels, low energy level, gets headaches frequently, super dry skin, and these are the ones that affect his life the most. What do you have your kids on to help control the behaviors?

Tammy

• 6 months later...

Hi Debbie,

While I don't have personal experience with this medication, here are

some links (with research studies/tables of side effects, etc) that

you may want to read over. Side effects can affect muscles (arms and

legs) and also the nervous system.

http://www.medicinenet.com/quetiapine/article.htm

DRUG INTERACTIONS: Phenytoin (Dilantin) and thioridazine (Mellaril)

markedly decrease the amount of quetiapine that is absorbed from the

intestine and thereby reduces its effectiveness. Therefore, patients

taking phenytoin or thioridazine may require higher doses of

quetiapine. (Phenytoin is on the Medication Alert for CMT).

http://www.rxlist.com/seroquel-drug.htm

http://www.seroquel.com/bipolar-disorder/about-seroquel/seroquel-side-

effects.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seroquel#Side_effects

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-4718-Seroquel+Oral.aspx?

drugid=4718 & drugname=Seroquel+Oral

I haven't found any CMT specific research on Seroquel, but I hope

this gives you good information for your son.

Gretchen

• 11 months later...

I am on Seroquel and yes it does make you gain weight

From: tinkeris72 <tinkeris72@...>Subject: Seroquelautism Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 12:26 AM

Does anyone else use for their kids? If so what kind of side effect are you noticing? Weight Gain? High Blood Sugar?Thanks.Mel

I am on Seroquel and yes it does make you gain weight

From: tinkeris72 <tinkeris72@...>Subject: Seroquelautism Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 12:26 AM

Does anyone else use for their kids? If so what kind of side effect are you noticing? Weight Gain? High Blood Sugar?Thanks.Mel

We are having a great deal of positive effects and good behaviors and great sleep patterns from 3mg of melatonini -

After trying respridol et all else....

Kate -

Brooklyn ny

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:26 AM, tinkeris72 <tinkeris72@...> wrote:

-- Kate Myers

We are having a great deal of positive effects and good behaviors and great sleep patterns from 3mg of melatonini -

After trying respridol et all else....

Kate -

Brooklyn ny

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 1:26 AM, tinkeris72 <tinkeris72@...> wrote:

-- Kate Myers

Mel,

My son was on Remerron for almost a year and gained 12lbs....so our doctor put him on Seroquel. He lost the weight he had gained and has had no side effects. He sleeps thru the night and is not groggy in the morning. He has been on it since May.

Celeste

autism From: tinkeris72@...Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:26:59 +0000Subject: Seroquel

Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.

Mel,

My son was on Remerron for almost a year and gained 12lbs....so our doctor put him on Seroquel. He lost the weight he had gained and has had no side effects. He sleeps thru the night and is not groggy in the morning. He has been on it since May.

Celeste

autism From: tinkeris72@...Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 06:26:59 +0000Subject: Seroquel

Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.

We have had serious outbursts from my daughter for years and years and she is on

many different medications. (Depakote, Prozac, Tenex, Concerta) It wasn't

until she was placed on Seroquel after yet another trip in an ambulance to the

emergency roof for unsafe behavior that she improved. That was in March. She

takes 300 mg, which I understand is a considerable amount, but the quality of

her life is SO much better. She has not had a single outburst or behavior

problem. She is stable, happy and able to go back into a regular classroom.

She has gained a little bit of weight, but her eating habits aren't all that

great in the first place. The Seroquel has changed our lives.

Lindsey sen

http://5kidswdisabilities.wordpress.com

We have had serious outbursts from my daughter for years and years and she is on

many different medications. (Depakote, Prozac, Tenex, Concerta) It wasn't

until she was placed on Seroquel after yet another trip in an ambulance to the

emergency roof for unsafe behavior that she improved. That was in March. She

takes 300 mg, which I understand is a considerable amount, but the quality of

her life is SO much better. She has not had a single outburst or behavior

problem. She is stable, happy and able to go back into a regular classroom.

She has gained a little bit of weight, but her eating habits aren't all that

great in the first place. The Seroquel has changed our lives.

Lindsey sen

Did the seroquel replace the Depakote, Tenex, prozak, etc.? We just switched doctors because the first one was NOT listening to us and was not even willing to work with gluten-free diet and/or supplements and therapies. Thankfully this on is:) BUT we have Maddie on Depakote 500 mg a night (he is thinking about removing it completely if it doesn't give her any benefit) and he just started Tenex 1 mg in AM and 1 mg in PM. She is also on Abilify 20 mg. We started the gluten-free diet this week and just removed breafast so far. Just wondered what exacty Seroquel was for and if you used it with other meds Also, what type of doctor do you go to to work with supplements? I know some of you mention yeast levels and probiotics - I don't even know what a yeast level is and how do you check it???

Thanks!

Rhonda

From: fivekidswdisabilities <5kidswdisabilities@...>Subject: Re: Seroquelautism Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

We have had serious outbursts from my daughter for years and years and she is on many different medications. (Depakote, Prozac, Tenex, Concerta) It wasn't until she was placed on Seroquel after yet another trip in an ambulance to the emergency roof for unsafe behavior that she improved. That was in March. She takes 300 mg, which I understand is a considerable amount, but the quality of her life is SO much better. She has not had a single outburst or behavior problem. She is stable, happy and able to go back into a regular classroom. She has gained a little bit of weight, but her eating habits aren't all that great in the first place. The Seroquel has changed our lives.Lindsey senhttp://5kidswdisabi lities.wordpress .com

Did the seroquel replace the Depakote, Tenex, prozak, etc.? We just switched doctors because the first one was NOT listening to us and was not even willing to work with gluten-free diet and/or supplements and therapies. Thankfully this on is:) BUT we have Maddie on Depakote 500 mg a night (he is thinking about removing it completely if it doesn't give her any benefit) and he just started Tenex 1 mg in AM and 1 mg in PM. She is also on Abilify 20 mg. We started the gluten-free diet this week and just removed breafast so far. Just wondered what exacty Seroquel was for and if you used it with other meds Also, what type of doctor do you go to to work with supplements? I know some of you mention yeast levels and probiotics - I don't even know what a yeast level is and how do you check it???

Thanks!

Rhonda

From: fivekidswdisabilities <5kidswdisabilities@...>Subject: Re: Seroquelautism Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

We have had serious outbursts from my daughter for years and years and she is on many different medications. (Depakote, Prozac, Tenex, Concerta) It wasn't until she was placed on Seroquel after yet another trip in an ambulance to the emergency roof for unsafe behavior that she improved. That was in March. She takes 300 mg, which I understand is a considerable amount, but the quality of her life is SO much better. She has not had a single outburst or behavior problem. She is stable, happy and able to go back into a regular classroom. She has gained a little bit of weight, but her eating habits aren't all that great in the first place. The Seroquel has changed our lives.Lindsey senhttp://5kidswdisabi lities.wordpress .com

Im not sure. But, his grandpa has child diabetes and the dramic increase in weight gain bothers me. Besides that he seems to be leveling off.Wish I could find out what my sons yeast levels are. I know Kaiser wont pay for it.

From: Rhonda Irvin <rhondarvn@...>autism Sent: Tue, November 3, 2009 7:33:08 AMSubject: Re: Re: Seroquel

Thanks!

Rhonda

From: fivekidswdisabiliti es <5kidswdisabilities@ gmail.com>Subject: Re: SeroquelAutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comDate: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 10:11 AM

We have had serious outbursts from my daughter for years and years and she is on many different medications. (Depakote, Prozac, Tenex, Concerta) It wasn't until she was placed on Seroquel after yet another trip in an ambulance to the emergency roof for unsafe behavior that she improved. That was in March. She takes 300 mg, which I understand is a considerable amount, but the quality of her life is SO much better. She has not had a single outburst or behavior problem. She is stable, happy and able to go back into a regular classroom. She has gained a little bit of weight, but her eating habits aren't all that great in the first place. The Seroquel has changed our lives.Lindsey senhttp://5kidswdisabilities.wordpress.com/

Our daughter takes the Concerta, Tenex, Prozac, Depakote and was recently placed

on the Seroquel. In our case, the psychiatrist first tried to delete the

Concerta, but that was a disaster because she could not sit still and pay

attention. Then he tried to decrease the Tenex, but she became edgy and seemed

to be " crawling out of her skin " as her teacher put it. Then he tried to

decrease the prozac, but she became depressed. So we came to the conclusion

that each of the medication works for different problems and with the current

regiment she is happy and able to control her behavior and do well in class,

(miracle of miracles!)

Lindsey sen

Our daughter takes the Concerta, Tenex, Prozac, Depakote and was recently placed

on the Seroquel. In our case, the psychiatrist first tried to delete the

Concerta, but that was a disaster because she could not sit still and pay

attention. Then he tried to decrease the Tenex, but she became edgy and seemed

to be " crawling out of her skin " as her teacher put it. Then he tried to

decrease the prozac, but she became depressed. So we came to the conclusion

that each of the medication works for different problems and with the current

regiment she is happy and able to control her behavior and do well in class,

(miracle of miracles!)

Lindsey sen

that actually works for my son I use 6mg

From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>autism Sent: Tue, November 3, 2009 9:01:53 AMSubject: Re: Seroquel

We also just started to use melatonin. Haven't seen too much in the way of better behavior or sleep patterns. My son uses 3mg at night.

From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>autism Sent: Tue, November 3, 2009 9:01:53 AMSubject: Re: Seroquel

We also just started to use melatonin. Haven't seen too much in the way of better behavior or sleep patterns. My son uses 3mg at night.

I am up to 300 mg and it doesn't do dink unless I take it with an anti-anxiety med I know I am not a kid but just sharing my opinions. Maybe I should just shut up now having a bad day.

Sorry

Sharon

From: Mindy Bowers <tinkeris72@...>Subject: Re: Seroquelautism Date: Tuesday, November 3, 2009, 2:33 PM

From: Wylie <mlwpdb (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Tue, November 3, 2009 9:01:53 AMSubject: Re: Seroquel