RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: homeschool

Rate this topic

Guest guest

It is really tough. School's are a bureaucracy and they change about as fast as the centuries. lol. I used to know a lady who had an older kid and she would constantly brag that she was "paving the way" through the school. It was such bunk because as soon as you got something going at the school and your child left that grade, they quickly went back to "normal" and all was forgotten. We had gotten a lot of things implemented over the years and watched as people scrambled to get the same things implemented years later. The only thing we did that stuck was ABA therapy. I guess that is no small feat either. But changing things is not something done overnight and you can complain, volunteer and vote - but it still doesn't mean things are changing. It's more like a slow slow process over many years. I always speak up and volunteer and vote. Because you never know when something is gonna stick to the ceiling.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) homeschool

I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school.

Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now.

Liz

On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote:

I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well.

For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Maybe so, but I also wonder about the dx as well. From her description, her kid and her self-dx'd dh didn't have much more than a mild social problem. In that case, she may well never need intensive services or help with him.

RoxannaAutism Happens

I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school.

Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now.

Liz

I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well.

For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it.

Guest guest

This is my daughter too!!! She gets mad if we do anything "fun" while she is at school. She is in third grade. I explained that before we were always doing work with our son, always dealing with problems, hardly had any time with her and she had to take the bus home. NOW, "I have so much more time for YOU, you don't have to take the bus, everyone is happier, so you have SO MUCH MORE fun and time to play with mom and dad!" AND, your brother is doing TONS more work during the day compared to when he was at school. I also tell the brother to keep quiet about ANYTHING remotely fun we might have done. If word leaks out I explain that she does field trips too and remind her of all the above stuff and all the hard work he is doing, etc. etc. She has her own token economy/cash ins with dollar store stuff that she loves and he could care less. I also point out all those cool cash-ins that she gets that he doesn't......

( ) Re: homeschool

> I've heard nothing but good stuff about it from those of you who >already homeschool. My ex is against it (he, who knows nothing about >it, other than he thinks our son will lose out on the social aspect of >public school...I think the "social aspect" he gets at his school does >more harm than good. Any thoughts?>>>>>>>>I have to agree on you about this as my hubby keeps saying that I cant homeschool our 12 yr old son because our son doesn't listen to us now since he is in public school why would he listen if he is home all day? I told him our son would not be under as much stress if he were home and hubby said "well thats life and are you going to be around all his life so he doesn't have to do anything in the real world?" GRRRRMarj

Guest guest

I don't remember when it was, but when I started bringing emails and papers with notes on them to school and to IEP's,,,,,,,that's when they knew I was becoming empowered and it seems that at that point,,,,even though they were nice, I wasn't looked at as NICE ROBIN. I was like a person who would be fighting if I had to and most of all,,,,,questioning. ALso,,,,,,after that 1st time with notes with me, etc,,,,,,,,,,the principal was then at the meetings. Hee hee.Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: Well, it is true that the people new to sped do not always know their rights. (I didn't!!) If the school does anything, they are happy and get the feeling that they are being helped. You can watch some people over time as they start to learn about the BS and watch their attitude change. I once worked with a mom who never caught on to the fact that even though her kid was making progress, progress was so slow that he was getting farther behind each year. She started asking questions in 3rd grade and I worked with her in 4th. Big lightbulb moment for her. She was always one of those, "The school is so wonderful..." because as long as her child was happy, she felt they were doing a good job. Then she caught on to the fact that her kid was way behind. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been

involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and

doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board

members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Why are you all being so hard on this lady? If she believes in the power of positive thinking, please don't try and burst her balloon. I mean, isn't that the goal to want the very best for our children? I signed up for this group for SUPPORT, not to listen to a select few bash a woman who is trying to think POSITIVE in a totally NEGATIVE world! There is enough bunk going on around us, lets have uplifting words from people whom we should be getting SUPPORT from. I know I want the best for my son, but if I focus on all his WEAK areas and negative attributes, by golly, that will be what I see and the negative will overtake any positive. I give that lady CREDIT! I would hope to be as optimistic as she about my situation, and not a

living pessimist! Thanks for reading. Jo T. <cindyelgamal@...> wrote: Young and so naïve. Like I said, I would really like to hear from her in 8-10 years and see if she was still so positive her school system was wonderful and everything she thought it would be. From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of RoxannaSent: Thursday, February 14, 2008 6:32 AM Subject: Re: ( ) homeschool I think she's really young. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't

get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special

Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Geez, cool your jets. We just said she is naive and young. And we've moved on to talk about being new to the sped world and other people. I think that is an interesting discussion. I also don't know why you are having a cow about "negative attitudes." I am not being negative at all. Many of us still use public schools for some of our kids. Discussing negative situations that caused us great problems is just part of being on this list. And that's ok to do here. I also don't see it as being a negative person, I see it as being practical. If you want to hang out in la-la land and pretend nothing bad is ever going to happen, this is not the right list. Bad things happen to people on this list all the time and we share those as well as the good. Sharing what has gone wrong is not a crime here. It's just part of life and just as important as sharing good things. We do both. And I'm happy with that. I believe in letting others know they should prepare for the worst to get what they need...such as in IEP meetings and in getting appropriate services for your kids. They teach this at wrightslaw.com all the time - prepare always as if you will go to due process and it can prevent due process altogether. I think that's important and it's important to see what has worked and not worked for others, how things were handed, mistakes that were made, the good and the bad. I also don't feel we should always have to reinvent the wheel where our kids are concerned. Enough people have struggled through the process to give us ideas and tips as to how to do it better and how to improve. If that is too "negative" then I have no clue what to say. This is how it goes here. There are tons of lists on and I'm sure you can find some where they only do happy. But this is not one of those lists.

As for this particular person, I think we've established with her own post that she is not talking about the same problems the rest of the people talk about here. I have little doubt that school will go fine for her kid if he doesn't have the problems associated with having AS. So good for her. I think several people said that to her - good for her. But it does come off as disingenuous when it's said in the middle of a group of people who have all experienced problems that are common to having kids with AS - something we do discuss here on this list.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

You know, Ma'am .... er is it Roxanna ... how could I forget as your name is plastered all over and I tend to get the SAME feeling each time I read your post. I think you are rude and snotty ... I don't know if you are the Moderator of this group or not, but you surely do reply as if you OWN this group. I am not "having a cow" as you say ... maybe YOUR kids are little heifers, but not mine! NOR do I need to be told from A SUPPORT GROUP to cool my jets .... I wonder how many other people you totally turn off by your snide replys. I pity people who have to deal with you and I think this lady was very wise to leave this group .... sounds as if you want me to leave to and go find my "happy place" ..... Thanks Roxanna, you just made my night! Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: Geez, cool your jets. We just said she is naive and young. And we've moved on to talk about being new to the sped world and other people. I think that is an interesting discussion. I also don't know why you are having a cow about "negative attitudes." I am not being negative at all. Many of us still use public schools for some of our kids. Discussing negative situations that caused

us great problems is just part of being on this list. And that's ok to do here. I also don't see it as being a negative person, I see it as being practical. If you want to hang out in la-la land and pretend nothing bad is ever going to happen, this is not the right list. Bad things happen to people on this list all the time and we share those as well as the good. Sharing what has gone wrong is not a crime here. It's just part of life and just as important as sharing good things. We do both. And I'm happy with that. I believe in letting others know they should prepare for the worst to get what they need...such as in IEP meetings and in getting appropriate services for your kids. They teach this at wrightslaw.com all the time - prepare always as if you will go to due process and it can prevent due process altogether. I think that's important and it's important to see what has worked and not worked for others,

how things were handed, mistakes that were made, the good and the bad. I also don't feel we should always have to reinvent the wheel where our kids are concerned. Enough people have struggled through the process to give us ideas and tips as to how to do it better and how to improve. If that is too "negative" then I have no clue what to say. This is how it goes here. There are tons of lists on and I'm sure you can find some where they only do happy. But this is not one of those lists. As for this particular person, I think we've established with her own post that she is not talking about the same problems the rest of the people talk about here. I have little doubt that school will go fine for her kid if he doesn't have the problems associated with having AS. So good for her. I

think several people said that to her - good for her. But it does come off as disingenuous when it's said in the middle of a group of people who have all experienced problems that are common to having kids with AS - something we do discuss here on this list. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't

get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special

Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

yA, ROXANNA OWNS THE GROUP, AND YOUR E-MAIL SOUNDS LIKE THE ONE I GOT 'PRIVATELY' EARLIER IN THE WEEK FROM THE CHICK THAT LEFT THE GROUP, TELLING ME HOW MUCH PEOPLE PROBABLY HATE ME--HOW HORRIBLE I AM---THAT IS FINE / I DON'T HEAR THAT FROM PEOPLE--YOU AND SHE MAY BE IT----ROXANNA DOES ROCK, AND WE ARE VERY POSITIVE PEOPLE, VERY COMMITED, EXPERIENCED, AND DOING IT FOR YEARS NOW (MOST OF US) PARENTS, AND IF WE CAN KEEP OTHERS FROM HAVING TO FIGHT AS HARD OR LONG AS WE DID, THEN, WE HAVE HELPED; THERE IS NOTHING SNOTTY ABOUT ROXANNA; SHE IS NOT GOING TO PUT UP WITH SOMEONE ELSE'S GARBAGE THOUGH. HER KIDS ARE NOT HEIFERS----YOU THINK SHE IS RUDE AND SNOTTY; I AM SURE ROXANNA CAN SEE YOUR WISHES OFF THE LIST------I SURE WOULD IF YOU WERE CALLING MY CHILDREN OR ME THINGS YOU ARE----WE TOTALLY SUPPORT EACH OTHER HERE----SOME DO NOT LIKE TO HEAR THE TRUTH OR THE IDEAS----THAT IS REALITY----JUST LIKE PROFESSIONALS TELLING ANYONE THEIR CHILD HAS A PROBLEM---SOME PARENTS ARE THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT / DEAL WITH IT WHICH IS HARD.....THAT BEING SAID------WOW----AND WE STILL SUPPORT ROXANNA.....RUTHIE DOLEZAL

From: jort2001@...Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:30:45 -0800Subject: Re: RE: ( ) homeschool

You know, Ma'am .... er is it Roxanna ... how could I forget as your

name is plastered all over and I tend to get the SAME feeling each time

I read your post.

I think you are rude and snotty ...

I don't know if you are the Moderator of this group or not, but

you surely do reply as if you OWN this group.

I am not "having a cow" as you say ... maybe YOUR kids

are little heifers, but not mine! NOR do I need to be told

from A SUPPORT GROUP to cool my jets .... I wonder how

many other people you totally turn off by your snide replys.

I pity people who have to deal with you and I think this

lady was very wise to leave this group ....

sounds as if you want me to leave to and go find

my "happy place" .....

Thanks Roxanna, you just made my night!

Roxanna <madideaszoominternet (DOT) net> wrote:

Geez, cool your jets. We just said she is naive and young. And we've moved on to talk about being new to the sped world and other people. I think that is an interesting discussion. I also don't know why you are having a cow about "negative attitudes." I am not being negative at all. Many of us still use public schools for some of our kids. Discussing negative situations that caused us great problems is just part of being on this list. And that's ok to do here. I also don't see it as being a negative person, I see it as being practical. If you want to hang out in la-la land and pretend nothing bad is ever going to happen, this is not the right list. Bad things happen to people on this list all the time and we share those as well as the good. Sharing what has gone wrong is not a crime here. It's just part of life and just as important as sharing good things. We do both. And I'm happy with that. I believe in letting others know they should prepare for the worst to get what they need...such as in IEP meetings and in getting appropriate services for your kids. They teach this at wrightslaw.com all the time - prepare always as if you will go to due process and it can prevent due process altogether. I think that's important and it's important to see what has worked and not worked for others, how things were handed, mistakes that were made, the good and the bad. I also don't feel we should always have to reinvent the wheel where our kids are concerned. Enough people have struggled through the process to give us ideas and tips as to how to do it better and how to improve. If that is too "negative" then I have no clue what to say. This is how it goes here. There are tons of lists on and I'm sure you can find some where they only do happy. But this is not one of those lists.

As for this particular person, I think we've established with her own post that she is not talking about the same problems the rest of the people talk about here. I have little doubt that school will go fine for her kid if he doesn't have the problems associated with having AS. So good for her. I think several people said that to her - good for her. But it does come off as disingenuous when it's said in the middle of a group of people who have all experienced problems that are common to having kids with AS - something we do discuss here on this list.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

Thank you, Ruthie, I HEARD YOU LOUD AND CLEAR!!! Good Night. BRYAN DOLEZAL <DOLEZAL123@...> wrote: yA, ROXANNA OWNS THE GROUP, AND YOUR E-MAIL SOUNDS LIKE THE ONE I GOT 'PRIVATELY' EARLIER IN THE WEEK FROM THE CHICK THAT LEFT THE GROUP, TELLING ME HOW MUCH PEOPLE

PROBABLY HATE ME--HOW HORRIBLE I AM---THAT IS FINE / I DON'T HEAR THAT FROM PEOPLE--YOU AND SHE MAY BE IT----ROXANNA DOES ROCK, AND WE ARE VERY POSITIVE PEOPLE, VERY COMMITED, EXPERIENCED, AND DOING IT FOR YEARS NOW (MOST OF US) PARENTS, AND IF WE CAN KEEP OTHERS FROM HAVING TO FIGHT AS HARD OR LONG AS WE DID, THEN, WE HAVE HELPED; THERE IS NOTHING SNOTTY ABOUT ROXANNA; SHE IS NOT GOING TO PUT UP WITH SOMEONE ELSE'S GARBAGE THOUGH. HER KIDS ARE NOT HEIFERS----YOU THINK SHE IS RUDE AND SNOTTY; I AM SURE ROXANNA CAN SEE YOUR WISHES OFF THE LIST------I SURE WOULD IF YOU WERE CALLING MY CHILDREN OR ME THINGS YOU ARE----WE TOTALLY SUPPORT EACH OTHER HERE----SOME DO NOT LIKE TO HEAR THE TRUTH OR THE IDEAS----THAT IS REALITY----JUST LIKE PROFESSIONALS TELLING ANYONE THEIR CHILD HAS A PROBLEM---SOME PARENTS ARE THE PROBLEM BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR IT / DEAL WITH IT WHICH IS HARD.....THAT BEING SAID------WOW----AND WE STILL SUPPORT ROXANNA.....RUTHIE

DOLEZAL From: jort2001 Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 18:30:45 -0800Subject: Re: RE: ( ) homeschool You know, Ma'am .... er is it Roxanna ... how could I forget as your name is plastered all over and I tend to get the SAME feeling each time I read your post. I think you are rude and snotty ... I don't know if you are the Moderator of this group or not, but you surely do reply as if you OWN this group. I am not "having a cow" as you say ... maybe YOUR kids are little heifers, but not mine! NOR do I need to be told from A SUPPORT GROUP to cool my jets .... I wonder how many other people you totally turn off by your snide

replys. I pity people who have to deal with you and I think this lady was very wise to leave this group .... sounds as if you want me to leave to and go find my "happy place" ..... Thanks Roxanna, you just made my night! Roxanna <madideaszoominternet (DOT) net> wrote: Geez, cool your jets. We just said she is naive and young. And we've moved on to talk about being new to the sped world and other people. I think that is an interesting discussion. I also don't know why you are having a cow about "negative attitudes." I am not being negative at all. Many of us still use public schools for some of our kids. Discussing negative situations that

caused us great problems is just part of being on this list. And that's ok to do here. I also don't see it as being a negative person, I see it as being practical. If you want to hang out in la-la land and pretend nothing bad is ever going to happen, this is not the right list. Bad things happen to people on this list all the time and we share those as well as the good. Sharing what has gone wrong is not a crime here. It's just part of life and just as important as sharing good things. We do both. And I'm happy with that. I believe in letting others know they should prepare for the worst to get what they need...such as in IEP meetings and in getting appropriate services for your kids. They teach this at wrightslaw.com all the time - prepare always as if you will go to due process and it can prevent due process altogether. I think that's important and it's important to see what has worked and not worked for

others, how things were handed, mistakes that were made, the good and the bad. I also don't feel we should always have to reinvent the wheel where our kids are concerned. Enough people have struggled through the process to give us ideas and tips as to how to do it better and how to improve. If that is too "negative" then I have no clue what to say. This is how it goes here. There are tons of lists on and I'm sure you can find some where they only do happy. But this is not one of those lists. As for this particular person, I think we've established with her own post that she is not talking about the same problems the rest of the people talk about here. I have little doubt that school will go fine for her kid if he doesn't have the problems associated with having AS. So good for

her. I think several people said that to her - good for her. But it does come off as disingenuous when it's said in the middle of a group of people who have all experienced problems that are common to having kids with AS - something we do discuss here on this list. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I vote in every school board election. (My

school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I

am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The

director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you

who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

Guest guest

On Oct 14, 3:21am, " Jo T. " wrote:

} I think you are rude and snotty ...

Pot, say hello to kettle.

Could we be a little more civilized to each other,

please? No one is in this group because it's just

so darn wonderful to be us.

Willa

Guest guest

Actually, I do own the group. That's why you see my name "plastered" all over this place. Kind of like coming to my house - you'd probably see pictures of me and my family or see our names on envelopes and whatnot. If people do not like what I say, they are free to leave and find a group they fit into better. It's great how that works - free will and all that. And it doesn't even cause me to lose sleep. Also, I will pretty much say what I want. If you find it offensive or bothersome or not befitting a "support group", then you are welcome to go somewhere else. I completely realize that people cannot be everything to everyone and this is how this group runs and always has. Some people like it, some don't. And that's completely fine!

Funny you would write this and say I am being rude and snotty when you are doing just that. The lady left the group because she obviously doesn't belong here. For some reason, you keep skipping over the fact that her kid isn't even AS and she said she wasn't have any of the problems anyone else on this list was having. It was more than the discussion about the schools. There are so many options out there that people can pick and choose and I recommend that they do that instead of writing and calling people names when they don't agree. Obviously, if you are so upset by the emails and seeing my name that it makes you sick, then you should go somewhere else. There is no reason to stay unless you just like arguing with people and/or calling them names. So you are staying for what reason?

For heaven's sake, I wasn't calling your kids cows. I was using an expression. I thought that was obvious but apparently not to you. However, this subject is completely closed now. If you want to continue this conversation and/or calling me names, you will need to email me off the list. And remember, you won't be the first, so try to get more creative so I am not so bored.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

Hey Ruthie, if someone emails you hate mail off the list, let me know. I would have taken her off this list for that. That's just mean. I am used to people doing that when they get ticked off about something. But you didn't sign up for that nonsense!

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

I will; did you want me to forward them to you or anything? I obviously still have them....Ruthie

From: madideas@...Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:29:24 -0500Subject: Re: ( ) homeschool

Hey Ruthie, if someone emails you hate mail off the list, let me know. I would have taken her off this list for that. That's just mean. I am used to people doing that when they get ticked off about something. But you didn't sign up for that nonsense!

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

I will; did you want me to forward them to you or anything? I obviously still have them....Ruthie

From: madideas@...Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 12:29:24 -0500Subject: Re: ( ) homeschool

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

Yes, once you start speaking up, the principal shows up. <GG> At the last parent/teacher conference my ds had at the middle school, the principal walks in and sits down at our table. She did not attend other people's conferences that I could see and left the building after mine. She just sat there, like she had to be the witness. <g>

I used to be nice and wouldn't want to upset anything if I could help it! Having kids with sped needs has really forced me to change a lot. But I used to joke you were not getting anywhere if you didn't have at least 2 or 3 administrators at your meeting. I knew people who had never had an administrator at an IEP at all! But they never argued or asked for anything either. A principal at a school we liked used to come for the beginning of our meetings to see if "everyone was happy." lol. Used to crack me up. He wanted to see that we were all happy and playing nice. If so, he would leave and go do his job elsewhere.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

No, you don't have to send them to me. But next time - if it does ever happen again, you can email me asap off list or on and/or forward them to me and I can get the person out of our list asap. Or you can also email Pam who can do the same. We don't want people getting harassed like that.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

I don't know why this came to me, but it's like the police, in a way. They don't go around areas where things are good. If there is a bit of turmoil, they show up and sit quietly, then leave when they know things will be ok. BUT,,,,if there is trouble (US), then they show up as an almost intimidating show of force. Ha ha. I like your joke of knowing you're getting somewhere when 2-3 administrators show up to every IEP. So true. Ha.Roxanna <madideas@...> wrote: Yes, once you start speaking up, the principal shows up. <GG> At the last parent/teacher conference my ds had at the middle school, the principal walks in and sits down at our table. She did not attend other people's conferences that I could see and left the building after mine. She just sat there, like she had to be the witness. <g> I used to be nice and wouldn't want to upset anything if I could help it! Having kids with sped needs has really forced me to change a lot. But I used to joke you were not getting anywhere if you didn't have at least 2 or 3 administrators at your meeting. I knew people who had never had an administrator at an IEP at all! But they never argued or asked for anything either. A

principal at a school we liked used to come for the beginning of our meetings to see if "everyone was happy." lol. Used to crack me up. He wanted to see that we were all happy and playing nice. If so, he would leave and go do his job elsewhere. RoxannaAutism Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of

a contribution by volunteering in the classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has

told me that she really likes the programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about

it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

For a while years ago, we had lawyers and they had lawyers and we had meetings for a year every week or two just to argue and play word games while my ds went nowhere in their classroom. Wow, I developed a rather "extra dry" sense of humor about these things. I had lots of sayings - like "If the school's attorney agrees with you, you are allowed to call your sped adminstrator a b****" LOL. Kind of like a right you have earned at that point. <GG> and "If everyone is being nice and getting along, you didn't ask for enough." LOL.

I know, bad attitude but at the time, I did have one and earned it the hard way. My dh and I survived by laughing at our bad jokes. If you didn't laugh, you'd be in tears all the time.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

Amen Hon.. Amen.. Laughing keeps us from crying on those days LOL

-- Re: ( ) homeschool

For a while years ago, we had lawyers and they had lawyers and we had meetings for a year every week or two just to argue and play word games while my ds went nowhere in their classroom. Wow, I developed a rather "extra dry" sense of humor about these things. I had lots of sayings - like "If the school's attorney agrees with you, you are allowed to call your sped adminstrator a b****" LOL. Kind of like a right you have earned at that point. <GG> and "If everyone is being nice and getting along, you didn't ask for enough." LOL.

I know, bad attitude but at the time, I did have one and earned it the hard way. My dh and I survived by laughing at our bad jokes. If you didn't laugh, you'd be in tears all the time.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Liz

Guest guest

<<<<<<<<<Yes, once you start speaking up, the principal shows up.>>>>>>>>>>>> LOL, the principal showed up at my 1st CSE meeting and every one after. Rose<cmcintosh5@...> wrote: Amen Hon.. Amen.. Laughing keeps us from crying on those days LOL -- Re: ( ) homeschool For a while years ago, we had lawyers and they had lawyers and we had

meetings for a year every week or two just to argue and play word games while my ds went nowhere in their classroom. Wow, I developed a rather "extra dry" sense of humor about these things. I had lots of sayings - like "If the school's attorney agrees with you, you are allowed to call your sped adminstrator a b****" LOL. Kind of like a right you have earned at that point. <GG> and "If everyone is being nice and getting along, you didn't ask for enough." LOL. I know, bad attitude but at the time, I did have one and earned it the hard way. My dh and I survived by laughing at our bad jokes. If you didn't laugh, you'd be in tears all the time. RoxannaAutism

Happens Re: ( ) homeschool I

vote in every school board election. (My school district, by the way, is HUGE.) I volunteered in my ds's classes, I was in touch with his program counselors and teachers and administrators all the time, especially in high school. The problem was that THE PROGRAM DIDN'T WORK FOR HIM. They all admitted it, too. They were wonderful people, who were committed to providing excellent special ed services, don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for these people and this program. It just wasn't right for ds. They DIDN'T HAVE something that was right for him, not in high school. Just wait, on the PTA front. I won't get into the PTA. There's them that likes it, and there's them that don't. Everywhere I've lived, PTA has been involved with fundraising, and that's about it. If I am involved in one more gift wrapping drive, I will go stark raving mad. I feel that I can make more of a contribution by volunteering in the

classroom with ESL (English as a Second Language) students or with the writing program. What can I say? I've been through two school districts with two non-typical children. I'm an old grouch by now. Liz On Feb 11, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Adam & Meg Ritterpusch wrote: , I work with a woman whose daughter is graduating from our school district this year, and her daughter has panic disorder. She has great things to say about how the school district has treated her daughter. My neighbor a mile down the road raised six kids in this school district with the youngest graduating last year, and she said that the school district was great for her kids, even the one who started late because of delays from birth issues (born without part of her trachea, premature, etc.) and the one who is dyslexic. Our community's librarian has a niece who had a lot of trouble with speech (sounds like she had speech apraxia, but Cricket didn't say) and who is a sophomore in our high school and doing great. The county's 4-H leader who is a Special Education teacher at another school in the county (the middle school) has told me that she really likes the

programs at our school and thinks that our son will do well here. The director of the Birth to Three program (again county run not related to our school) really likes the teaching, classes, and administration for our school district - we flat out asked her if we were in the best school for our son in the area or should consider another school district, and she said that the one we are in is fantastic. I am basing my confidence on a lot of opinions and experiences from a lot of other people plus the knowledge that we have started out well. For all of you who hate how your schools are run, do you know who is on your school board? Do you vote in elections so that you can get better board members? Have you been involved with PTA? If you don't like how something is run, this country does allow for you to do something about it. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.