RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hair Loss

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hair loss can also be a symptom of insulin resistance/polycystic ovary syndrome and/or fatty acid deficiency/imbalance. Have you ruled out these possibilities?

Regards,

Monika M. Woolsey, MS, RD

http://www.afterthediet.com

Guest guest

awww linda,, same thing happened to me and I DID buy two really cool wigs,, but I only wore them when I was out of the house as they were too warm to wear.. My hair thinned out so much that you could see scalp and so I just shaved it off,, but it has grown back and its beautiful now,, it will grow back hon,, I think that cutting it short will help it to look 'thicker'.. and you can use that shampoo that most ppl who are on chemo use, ask your hairdresser,, I can't remember the name of it.. it is designed for ppl who are on tx and it can help minimize the loss... <linda68082@...> wrote: My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebody tell me what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a wig is just not my thing. Jackie

Guest guest

I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.

> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebody

tell me

> what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a

> wig is just not my thing.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Jackie

>

Guest guest

THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05@...> wrote: I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie>Jackie

Guest guest

Your hair will thin quite a bit but I doubt that you will get to the point where you will need a wig . When I was on treatment I lost 8 inches in length and it became so thin you could see through it when I wore it down .

Hair Loss

My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebody tell me what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a wig is just not my thing.

Guest guest

I've gone thru the same thing---and I have chick fuzz

fine hair to begin with. I was terrified that I would

have to wear wigs or scarves too. It first turned to

straw, then fell out in clumps.

During treatment, take extra Biotin and Zinc. Those

are hair builders.

Once treatment is over, the hair will start coming

back. Mine is right now. It's like an obsession; I

check everyday to see what's coming back and I've had

horrible hair all my life. Never been able to do a

thing with it.

Gav

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Music Unlimited

Access over 1 million songs.

http://music./unlimited

Guest guest

Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.)Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it

works <marvindamartian05 > wrote: I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie>Jackie

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply

Guest guest

Hi Kerry,

Mine started to thin out at about 13 weeks. I had it cut into a short style so it would look fuller and not so thin. That made a big difference. It is still thinning but not nearly as much as before (I am on week 32). Oh, and when it thins, it will thin evenly, not come out in clumps so no worries there in case you might have been wondering. I had a hard time at first because I was so used to nice thick hair but in the end, I decided that my health was more important then how my hair looked everyday. I am rather used to it now but so do look forward to when it grows back. Remember, it is only a temporary thing and not nearly as important as the health of your liver.

Good luck and hang in there, Ally

On 11/10/06, Kerri Landress <kerrilandress@...> wrote:

Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.)

Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote:

THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05@

> wrote:

I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie> Jackie

Sponsored LinkDegrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate -

Click now to apply

Guest guest

Hi Kerry,

Mine started to thin out at about 13 weeks. I had it cut into a short style so it would look fuller and not so thin. That made a big difference. It is still thinning but not nearly as much as before (I am on week 32). Oh, and when it thins, it will thin evenly, not come out in clumps so no worries there in case you might have been wondering. I had a hard time at first because I was so used to nice thick hair but in the end, I decided that my health was more important then how my hair looked everyday. I am rather used to it now but so do look forward to when it grows back. Remember, it is only a temporary thing and not nearly as important as the health of your liver.

Good luck and hang in there, Ally

On 11/10/06, Kerri Landress <kerrilandress@...> wrote:

Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.)

Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote:

THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05@

> wrote:

I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie> Jackie

Sponsored LinkDegrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate -

Click now to apply

Guest guest

Thanks for the reply, Ally. I know my tx and my liver are the most important things to worry about... I just wanted to know what to expect. I only have to do 24 wks of tx... I'm type 3a. Good luck to you... sounds like you're nearing to the end. Ally <4thMoon@...> wrote: Hi Kerry, Mine started to thin out at about 13 weeks. I had it cut into a short style so it would look fuller and not so thin. That made a big difference. It is still thinning but not nearly as much as before (I am on

week 32). Oh, and when it thins, it will thin evenly, not come out in clumps so no worries there in case you might have been wondering. I had a hard time at first because I was so used to nice thick hair but in the end, I decided that my health was more important then how my hair looked everyday. I am rather used to it now but so do look forward to when it grows back. Remember, it is only a temporary thing and not nearly as important as the health of your liver. Good luck and hang in there, Ally On 11/10/06, Kerri Landress <kerrilandress > wrote: Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any

hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.) Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05> wrote: I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > >

Jackie> Jackie Sponsored LinkDegrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply

Sponsored Link

For just $24.99/mo., Vonage offers unlimited local and long- distance calling. Sign up now.

Guest guest

mine started falling out about week 16 or so!Kerri Landress <kerrilandress@...> wrote: Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.)Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05 > wrote: I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie>Jackie Sponsored LinkDegrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply Jackie

Guest guest

Mine started dropping at week 14

Re: Re: Hair Loss

Hey, at what point did your hair start to thin out? I've been on tx for three weeks now. I have not noticed any hair thinning yet. This was one of my biggest concerns about starting tx... will I lose a bunch of hair? I already have baby fine hair. I'm 30... and quite vain about my looks... (even though I know I shouldn't be.)Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote:

THATS IT!!! thanks ,, Im an old hairdresser too who still has her license,, but I just could NOT come up with the name!!!! thats it and it works <marvindamartian05 > wrote:

I think that shampoo is called Nioxxin.> My hair is starting to thin out quite a bit. Can somebodytell me > what I have to look forward to? I'm pretty darn vain, but wearing a > wig is just not my thing. > > > > > > > > > Jackie>Jackie

Sponsored LinkDegrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate - Click now to apply

Guest guest

I know it does if the disorder is trichtillomania (not

sure my spelling is correct). That's compulsive

pulling out of the hair which is an OC spectrum

disorder. Otherwise, I don't know.

--- jan <jkglobal@...> wrote:

> The Does hair loss ever

> accompany anxiety disorders? Jan

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been

> removed]

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast

with the Search weather shortcut.

http://tools.search./shortcuts/#loc_weather

Guest guest

I know it does if the disorder is trichtillomania (not

sure my spelling is correct). That's compulsive

pulling out of the hair which is an OC spectrum

disorder. Otherwise, I don't know.

--- jan <jkglobal@...> wrote:

> The Does hair loss ever

> accompany anxiety disorders? Jan

>

>

> [Non-text portions of this message have been

> removed]

>

>

____

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peak at the forecast

with the Search weather shortcut.

http://tools.search./shortcuts/#loc_weather

Guest guest

Hi, I mentioned in another post my oldest daughter's version of anxiety

disorder seems to be accompanied by an autoimmune component with flares

something like chronic fatigue and/or joint pain, sun sensitivity, RA

type symptoms- and one of the first sighs (7th grade-she's now 19) was

significant hair loss (jint swelling at same time). Since that time

she has not had noticeable hair loss again, but she does sort of go

back and forth between skin and hair obsessions and part of her hair

obsession is pulling and cutting and recently shaving her head, so

whether there is hair loss now is hard to figure out anymore. My mom

has an anxious temperament(also had sister who died of lupus) though

never seemed to be to clinical degree, and dealt with hair loss all

through my childhood, she used to wear a wig when wigs wee more common.

nancy grace

>

>

> The Does hair loss ever accompany anxiety

disorders? Jan

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi, I mentioned in another post my oldest daughter's version of anxiety

disorder seems to be accompanied by an autoimmune component with flares

something like chronic fatigue and/or joint pain, sun sensitivity, RA

type symptoms- and one of the first sighs (7th grade-she's now 19) was

significant hair loss (jint swelling at same time). Since that time

she has not had noticeable hair loss again, but she does sort of go

back and forth between skin and hair obsessions and part of her hair

obsession is pulling and cutting and recently shaving her head, so

whether there is hair loss now is hard to figure out anymore. My mom

has an anxious temperament(also had sister who died of lupus) though

never seemed to be to clinical degree, and dealt with hair loss all

through my childhood, she used to wear a wig when wigs wee more common.

nancy grace

>

>

> The Does hair loss ever accompany anxiety

disorders? Jan

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Jan,

Hair loss can be caused by anxiety ,as well as many medications used to treat

anxiety.(Thyroid problems also)

Hugs

Judy

Guest guest

Hi Jan,

Hair loss can be caused by anxiety ,as well as many medications used to treat

anxiety.(Thyroid problems also)

Hugs

Judy

Guest guest

Hi,

Hair loss can occur for many reasons. Stress, poor nutrition, thyroid

or medications. I take a teeny amount of lexapro. I first noticed

hair loss after starting paxil. It is much less on lexapro, for me.

(some might be natural because of my age) My daughter had a terrible

reaction to zoloft, (including some hair loss), but is better on

prozac. So, meds are something to look at. Although, it is a rare

side effect of these meds. Also, had a problem with seroquel. But

most people don't. Good luck. Ellen

Guest guest

Look at iron status, zinc, lysine

K. Mackie, MS, RD, LDN

Southeast Bariatrics, P.A.

2300-A Randolph Road

Charlotte, NC 28207

(704) 347-4144 x 214

hmackie@...

www.southeastbariatrics.com

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of ODonnell

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2008

8:56 AM

Subject:

hair loss

Hi All,

I have a patient who is losing a lot of hair. She has been getting

adequate protein all along, is there something else that could be causing this?

Please advise, thank you

O'Donnell RD,

LD

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

Guest guest

I found this article on Web MD:

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/features/treating-hair-loss-naturally

It stressed taking up to 3 mg biotin, high protein (low carb), iron, zinc and omega 3 fatty acids as well as ALA. You might want to read the article and then assess your patient for these nutrients in their diets.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Kathy J. Shattler, M.S.,RD

Director, Nutrition and Dietitians Division

Http://www.ceu4u.com

kshattler@...

"Virtual Continuing Education Institute"

hair loss

Hi All,

I have a patient who is losing a lot of hair. She has been getting adequate protein all along, is there something else that could be causing this? Please advise, thank you

O'Donnell RD, LD

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

How far out is she? Is she RNY or LAP band? How is she getting her

protein--from only food, or from food and whey protein shakes?

Posted previously: Telogen effluvium (rapid hair shedding) can occur

as a result of rapid weight loss. Nutritional deficiencies can

contribute to increased hair shedding by weakening hair shafts that

cause breakage to the hair and slow regrowth. Principal nutrients

that are involved include vitamin A, certain B vitamins, biotin,

vitamin C, copper, iron, zinc, and protein--all of which are

malabsorbed to some degree by gastric bypass patients. Surgery and

anesthesia can also result in temporary hair loss. With time,

adequate protein, and vitamin supplements, hair loss will subside.

See also Neve, H.J., et al. " Reversal of Hair Loss following

Vertical Gastroplasty when Treated with Zinc Sulphate. " Obesity

Surgery. 6(1): 63-65.

Ava

>

> Hi All,

> I have a patient who is losing a lot of hair. She has been

getting adequate protein all along, is there something else that

could be causing this? Please advise, thank you

> O'Donnell RD, LD

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

Guest guest

Have you done an Iron panel?

>

> Hi All,

> I have a patient who is losing a lot of hair. She has been getting

adequate protein all along, is there something else that could be

causing this? Please advise, thank you

> O'Donnell RD, LD

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

Guest guest

Hi,

At 03:31 PM 3/12/2008, you wrote:

>I noticed that some morbidly obese patients have very little hair. Is

>it due to Polysistic ovary Syn?

I can't speak on the PCOS, and I don't know if this could be relevant, but

hair loss (and sometimes with loss of hair color) can be a sign of biotin

deficiency. Similar issues may occur when something (like oxalate or

biotinidase deficiency) produces a loss of function of biotin in

carboxylases. Often, there are problems also with yeast infections when

biotin function is really impaired. Perhaps this essay by emedicine would

be helpful: http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic238.htm

An association with obesity is a bit more obscure, and not too many people

have heard of this, but I've put twp examples below to think about and see

if it is relevant. Both studies involve some mixed up genetics which

predispose rats to having an extra need for biotin to keep from getting

fat. There really aren't any human studies that I've found linking biotin

deficiency with obesity, except the one below. Even so, some people are

trying to develop drugs to treat obesity and metabolic syndrome that kill

the function of one of the biotin-dependent enzymes, so this gets complicated..

A lot of the biotin we use comes from our flora which can be killed back by

antibiotics. I have a list of which antibiotics kill the biotin producers,

if anyone wants to see it and if anyone is interested, I can post the

effect that biotin deficiency has on an organic acid test which helps in

the diagnosis if you have someone who can read the test for you.

Biotin has no known toxicity. I was shocked some years back to find a

study talking about a therapeutic dose for dystonia that involved using

5-10 mgs/kg/day and thoroughly turned around the patients' dystonia in a

matter of days..

This supplement is often sold in mcgs, but I see it now in health food

stores in 5 or 8 mg capsules. In autism circles, our doctors have seen

benefits of giving as much as 10 mgs a day to children, but sometimes higher.

I wrote a little essay on biotin for the Defeat Autism Now! manual written

by Jon Pangborn and Sid

Baker:

http://autismstore.dyndns.org/Books-Autism_Effective_Biomedical_Treatments.html

I'd love to know if any other features of biotin deficiency are present in

this patient or in the ones you've seen with hair loss.

Biotin status and lipid metabolism in adult obese hypercholesterolemic

inbred rats.

Marshall MW, Haubrich M, Washington VA, Chang MW, Young CW, Wheeler MA.

A statistically significant inverse association was generally found between

plasma total lipid, cholesterol, or phospholipid and biotin status of

300-day-old male inbred BHE (IN-BHE) rats. Plasma, liver, and carcass lipid

of both sexes generally had a significant direct association with liver

lactate dehydrogenase activity; an inverse association in males resulted

with improved biotin status. Elevated plasma lactate indicative of

anaerobic glycolysis was found. It is proposed that an increased reductive

environment - a consequence of accumulated NADH - could account for

enhanced triglyceride synthesis and that this effect could explain the

obesity in the IN-BHE rats. After the injection of 300 mug of biotin,

plasma levels of lactate and pyruvate fell in male rats, indicating a

stimulatory effect of biotin upon the oxidative pathways in these animals.

PMID: 958648 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1996 Dec;42(6):517-26.Links

A high biotin diet improves the impaired glucose tolerance of long-term

spontaneously hyperglycemic rats with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.

Zhang H, Osada K, Maebashi M, Ito M, Komai M, Furukawa Y.

Department of Applied Biological Chemistry, Faculty of Agriculture, Tohoku

University, Sendai, Japan.

The Otsuka Long- Tokushima Fatty (OLETF) rat, serving as a

spontaneously diabetic model with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus

(NIDDM), exhibits impaired glucose tolerance (IGT) at about 16 weeks of

age. In this study, we investigated whether or not biotin, a water-soluble

vitamin, improved the IGT of OLETF rats. To this end, we administered diets

containing one of three levels of biotin, a high-biotin diet (BH), a

normal-biotin diet (BN) and a basal-biotin diet (BB), to OLETF rats up to

24 weeks of age. An oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) was performed four

times between 13 and 22 weeks of age. The administration of a BH corrected

the IGT of OLETF rats. Upon further investigation, we found that insulin

secretion in the OLETF-BH rats was decreased to a significant extent,

signaling that the hyperinsulinemia typical to the OLETF-BH rats had

clearly improved. Body weights were significantly lower in the OLETF-BH

group than in the other OLETF groups, even though the OLETF-BH rats showed

a significantly higher average daily food intake. The body weight gain of

the OLETF-BH rats followed the same tendency as the control-LETO (Long

Tokushima Otsuka) rats (LETO-BB and LETO-BN). These results

demonstrate that a high-level biotin diet can improve the glucose handicap

in NIDDM rats.

PMID: 9089478 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Obes Rev. 2007 May;8(3):253-61.[] Links

Epicardial fat: properties, function and relationship to obesity.

Rabkin SW.

Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of British

Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada. rabkin@...

Epicardial fat is a relatively neglected component of the heart. The

purpose of this review was to examine the anatomic and biochemical data on

epicardial fat; to examine the relationship of epicardial fat to obesity

and to explore the potential role of epicardial fat in the relationship of

obesity to coronary atherothrombotic disease. Epicardial fat covers 80% of

the heart's surface and constitutes 20% of total heart weight. It is

present along the distribution of the coronary arteries, over the right

ventricle especially along the right border, anterior surface and at the

apex. There is three- to fourfold more epicardial fat associated with the

right than the left ventricle. Putative physiologic functions of epicardial

fat are based on observational data and include: buffering coronary

arteries against the torsion induced by the arterial pulse wave and cardiac

contraction, facilitating coronary artery remodelling, regulating fatty

acid homeostasis in the coronary microcirculation and providing fatty acids

to cardiac muscle as a local energy source in times of high demand. A

considerable amount of the data on epicardial fat originates from autopsy

series that have the inherent problem that conditions leading to death may

have altered body composition and adiposity. With this caveat, data

indicate that epicardial fat mass increases age until age 20-40 years but

thereafter the amount of epicardial fat is not dependent on age. The amount

of epicardial fat correlates with heart weight but the presence of

myocardial ischemia and hypertrophy does not alter the ratio of epicardial

fat to cardiac muscle mass. A number of properties differentiate epicardial

fat from other fat depots specifically its smaller adipocytes size;

different fatty acid composition, high protein content; high rates of fatty

acid incorporation, fatty acid synthesis, insulin-induced lipogenesis or

fatty acid breakdown; low rates of glucose utilization, low expression

(mRNA) of lipoprotein lipase, stearoyl-CoA desaturase and acetyl-CoA

carboxylase-alpha, and slow regression during weight loss. There is a

significant direct relationship between the amount of epicardial fat and

general body adiposity. Clinical imaging studies have demonstrated a strong

direct correlation between epicardial fat and abdominal visceral adiposity.

Several lines of evidence support a role for epicardial fat in the

pathogenesis of coronary artery disease, namely the close anatomic

relationship between epicardial fat and coronary arteries; the positive

correlation between the amount of epicardial fat and the presence of

coronary atherosclerosis and the ability of adipose tissue to secrete

hormones and cytokines that modulate coronary artery atherothrombosis.

Thus, epicardial fat maybe an important factor responsible for

cardiovascular disease in obesity.

PMID: 17444966 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Expert Opin Ther Targets. 2005 Apr;9(2):267-81.[] Links

Treating the metabolic syndrome: acetyl-CoA carboxylase inhibition.

Harwood HJ Jr.

Department of Cardiovascular and Metabolic Diseases, Pfizer Global Research

and Development, Groton Laboratories, Pfizer Inc., MS# 820-3190, Eastern

Point Road, Groton, CT 06340, USA. h.james.harwood@...

Metabolic syndrome is defined as a clustering of cardiovascular risk

factors (abdominal obesity, hyperinsulinaemia, atherogenic dislipidaemia,

hypertension, hypercoagulability) that together increase the risk of

developing coronary heart disease and Type-2 diabetes. Inhibition of

acetyl-CoA carboxylase (ACC), with its resultant inhibition of fatty acid

synthesis and stimulation of fatty acid oxidation, has the potential to

favourably affect, in a concerted manner, a multitude of cardiovascular

risk factors associated with metabolic syndrome. Studies in ACC2 knockout

mice and in experimental animals treated with isozyme-nonselective ACC

inhibitors have demonstrated the potential for treating metabolic syndrome

through this modality. A variety of structurally diverse, mechanistically

distinct classes of ACC inhibitors have been disclosed in the scientific

and patent literature. Isozyme-nonselective ACC inhibitors may provide the

optimal therapeutic potential for beneficially affecting metabolic

syndrome. However, demonstration of the full potential of isozyme-selective

inhibitors, once identified, should reveal advantages and liabilities

associated with single isozyme inhibition. Whereas demonstrating clinical

efficacy of an ACC inhibitor should be straightforward, the heterogeneity

of the patient population and absence of established guidelines regarding

approval end points for agents simultaneously affecting multiple aspects of

metabolic syndrome will pose developmental challenges for initial market

entries.

PMID: 15934915 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

J Am Acad Dermatol. 1983 Jul;9(1):97-103.Links

Alopecia and periorificial dermatitis in biotin-responsive multiple

carboxylase deficiency.

ML, Packman S, Cowan MJ.

Three siblings with infantile-onset biotin-responsive multiple carboxylase

deficiency are described. Recognition of the characteristic dermatologic

manifestations, alopecia and periorificial dermatitis, should result in

early diagnosis and institution of potentially lifesaving therapy with

biotin. Other metabolic disorders may present a similar clinical picture.

Immunologic dysfunction and/or aberration in lipid or branched chain amino

acid metabolism may be the common pathophysiologic link in some or all of

these disorders.

PMID: 6886110 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

At 03:31 PM 3/12/2008, you wrote:

>I noticed that some morbidly obese patients have very little hair. Is

>it due to Polysistic ovary Syn?

>Zinc WNL

>

>

--

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.21.6/1316 - Release Date: 3/6/2008 6:58

PM

Guest guest

I have heard MTX can cause hair loss. Have you started it recently?

allison laptop wrote:

Hi all

Has anyone ever had a lot of hair loss with stills? Lately I'm losing a lot

of hair. Especially when I shower and wash my hair or run my hands through

my hair. I can run my hands through my hair and easily have 10-20 hairs on

my hands. This can happen multiple times in a day.

I see my RD on Thursday and plan on talking to him about it, but I thought I

d see if anyone else has experienced this problem.

Thanks,