RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

hello

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Cree is the contact at Chicago. When you call ask to speak to her. You will most likely leave her a message and she will call back. 773-622-5400. I will forward your email as well. Catie, mom 3rd cast Chicago ShrinersSent from my iPhoneOn May 25, 2010, at 9:27 PM, Baker <tkbaker05@...> wrote:

We live near Milwaukee, and he was casted at Children's hospital. Our ortho is the only doctor that does that in the area. I believe it is a risser cast. His cast looks so similar to the pictures on the website, but I don't know the difference between risser and EDF. We could contact the Shriner's hospital of Chicago, but we wouldn't know who to contact. Does anyone know this info??

From: Baker <tkbaker05 (DOT) com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Helloinfantile scoliosis treatment @groups. comDate: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM

Hello all!

I am new to the group. My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect, diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago. I am happy to report that besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him. They found his scoliosis last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact that he had just learned how to walk, it didn't work. His ortho has put a cast on, even though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace. We have about 3 weeks to decide what to do.

His degree is at about 55. He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more comfy. I just had a few questions about the cast. How do you keep your little ones from over heating? Do they learn how to do the normal things quickly? When is a brace put on after the cast? I am worried about his decision, but I would do anything for my son!

Baker

mom to Timmy, 1st cast

Guest guest

Let me see if I can clarify the differences between Mehta and Risser casting.

1) Risser casting does not get as good of correction as Mehta casting (lots of

time it is used to hold a curve not correct it) and it has a higher rate of rib

deformities associated with it. The Mehta technique uses specially designed cut

outs to prevent this.

2)Risser casting is 2 dimensional casting and Mehta style EDF casting addresses

all 3 dimensions of scoliosis. A special casting table is needed in order to do

this.

3) Mehta style EDF casting requires a special table called the AMIL table to

properly apply the casts. This allows for 3 dimensional correction as mentioned

before and is specifically designed for small children. The Risser table is an

adult sized frame from what I understand.

4) Mehta style casts have specific cut outs which are essential. There is an

hourglass/mushroom shaped one in the front which helps prevent rib deformities

and allow their bellies to expand. There is a D shaped one in back which is

crucial to addressing rotation.

5) Mehta casts are anchored at the kids hips and is also crucial in addressing

rotation and curve. You will know this is there because of the hourglass shape

it gives your kid. It will cut in at their waist and then flare back out over

their hips.

Our initial Dr. suggested us to go with a risser cast and I am very glad we

found Mehta casting and went with that, as our son has had incredible results,

gone from 47 degrees to 2 degrees out of cast in 10 months and is now in a

brace.

Also I hear great things about Shriner's Chigaco I would absolutely look into

going there.

I hope this helps.

Jenn

Mommy to Cole, 2.5 years old, 1st brace from Rochester, 2 degrees down from 47

after 10 months in 5 casts

>

>

> From: Baker <tkbaker05@...>

> Subject: Hello

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello all!

>  

> I am new to the group.  My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. 

He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect,

diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago.  I am happy to report that

besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him.  They found his scoliosis

last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact that he had

just learned how to walk, it didn't work.  His ortho has put a cast on, even

though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace.  We have about 3 weeks to

decide what to do.

>  

> His degree is at about 55.  He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't

sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more

comfy.  I just had a few questions about the cast.  How do you keep your

little ones from over heating?  Do they learn how to do the normal things

quickly?  When is a brace put on after the cast?  I am worried about his

decision, but I would do anything for my son!

>  

> Baker

> mom to Timmy, 1st cast

>

Guest guest

Well I found out from my ortho that it is an EDF cast, so I feel very good about that. We do have one problem. The cast was digging into his hips and he was unable to sit up. Not just uncomfortable, unable. We went, and they cut the cast a bit around his hips. I am now worried that since it is supposed to be anchored to his hips, they might have cut off a crucial part. We go back for a check up in 3 weeks, should I ask his ortho about it then, or do it now?

From: genericallyloud <jennifer.leggett@...>Subject: Re: Helloinfantile scoliosis treatment Date: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 12:33 PM

Let me see if I can clarify the differences between Mehta and Risser casting. 1) Risser casting does not get as good of correction as Mehta casting (lots of time it is used to hold a curve not correct it) and it has a higher rate of rib deformities associated with it. The Mehta technique uses specially designed cut outs to prevent this. 2)Risser casting is 2 dimensional casting and Mehta style EDF casting addresses all 3 dimensions of scoliosis. A special casting table is needed in order to do this. 3) Mehta style EDF casting requires a special table called the AMIL table to properly apply the casts. This allows for 3 dimensional correction as mentioned before and is specifically designed for small children. The Risser table is an adult sized frame from what I understand. 4) Mehta style casts have specific cut outs which are essential. There is an hourglass/mushroom shaped one in the front which helps prevent rib

deformities and allow their bellies to expand. There is a D shaped one in back which is crucial to addressing rotation. 5) Mehta casts are anchored at the kids hips and is also crucial in addressing rotation and curve. You will know this is there because of the hourglass shape it gives your kid. It will cut in at their waist and then flare back out over their hips.Our initial Dr. suggested us to go with a risser cast and I am very glad we found Mehta casting and went with that, as our son has had incredible results, gone from 47 degrees to 2 degrees out of cast in 10 months and is now in a brace. Also I hear great things about Shriner's Chigaco I would absolutely look into going there.I hope this helps.JennMommy to Cole, 2.5 years old, 1st brace from Rochester, 2 degrees down from 47 after 10 months in 5 casts> > > From: Baker <tkbaker05@...>> Subject: Hello> infantile scoliosis treatment > Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM> > >  > > > > > > > > > Hello all!>  > I am new to the group. My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect, diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago. I am happy to report that besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him. They found his scoliosis last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and

the fact that he had just learned how to walk, it didn't work. His ortho has put a cast on, even though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace. We have about 3 weeks to decide what to do.>  > His degree is at about 55. He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more comfy. I just had a few questions about the cast. How do you keep your little ones from over heating? Do they learn how to do the normal things quickly? When is a brace put on after the cast? I am worried about his decision, but I would do anything for my son!>  > Baker> mom to Timmy, 1st cast>

Guest guest

I would look at the cast and see if it curves in at the waist and then back out

again, following the natural shape of the child's body. If it does then it

probably is anchored. They probably just trimmed a bit so that his legs could

be at a 90+ degree angle, I doubt they would have cut too high. If you have a

question though, absolutely call your doctor and ask. I think it is worth it if

it gives you some peace of mind over the next 3 weeks.

It takes a while to feel comfortable with all the ins and outs of casting. We

had a ton of questions like this in the beginning and concerns about whether it

was being done right. After you get some positive results you will be able to

take a deep breath. My best advice is to ask your doctor all the questions you

have, it will help reassure you they are doing things correctly (or tell you

they aren't). The whole things gets easier I promise!

Jenn

Mommy to Cole, 2.5 years, 1st brace from Rochester, 2 degrees out of brace down

from 47 after 10 months in 5 casts.

> >

> >

> > From: Baker <tkbaker05@>

> > Subject: Hello

> > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM

> >

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello all!

> >  

> > I am new to the group.  My son just had his first cast put on Friday,

5/21.  He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart

defect, diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago.  I am happy to

report that besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him.  They found his

scoliosis last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact

that he had just learned how to walk, it didn't work.  His ortho has put a cast

on, even though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace.  We have about 3

weeks to decide what to do.

> >  

> > His degree is at about 55.  He is running around in his cast, but he

couldn't sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him

more comfy.  I just had a few questions about the cast.  How do you keep your

little ones from over heating?  Do they learn how to do the normal things

quickly?  When is a brace put on after the cast?  I am worried about his

decision, but I would do anything for my son!

> >  

> > Baker

> > mom to Timmy, 1st cast

> >

>

Guest guest

When Grace got cast #3, she couldn't sit up after either. They trimmed just a very small portion of the bottom. Maybe even less than 1/2 an inch? They just put moleskin to cover the cut portion and then a bit more fiberglass over the top. I doubt it will cause the cast to be less effective.

Jane

From: Baker <tkbaker05@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Wed, May 26, 2010 6:16:23 AMSubject: Re: Re: Hello

Well I found out from my ortho that it is an EDF cast, so I feel very good about that. We do have one problem. The cast was digging into his hips and he was unable to sit up. Not just uncomfortable, unable. We went, and they cut the cast a bit around his hips. I am now worried that since it is supposed to be anchored to his hips, they might have cut off a crucial part. We go back for a check up in 3 weeks, should I ask his ortho about it then, or do it now?

From: genericallyloud <jennifer.leggett@ gmail.com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Re: Helloinfantile scoliosis treatment @groups. comDate: Wednesday, May 26, 2010, 12:33 PM

Let me see if I can clarify the differences between Mehta and Risser casting. 1) Risser casting does not get as good of correction as Mehta casting (lots of time it is used to hold a curve not correct it) and it has a higher rate of rib deformities associated with it. The Mehta technique uses specially designed cut outs to prevent this. 2)Risser casting is 2 dimensional casting and Mehta style EDF casting addresses all 3 dimensions of scoliosis. A special casting table is needed in order to do this. 3) Mehta style EDF casting requires a special table called the AMIL table to properly apply the casts. This allows for 3 dimensional correction as mentioned before and is specifically designed for small children. The Risser table is an adult sized frame from what I understand. 4) Mehta style casts have specific cut outs which are essential. There is an hourglass/mushroom shaped one in the front which helps prevent rib

deformities and allow their bellies to expand. There is a D shaped one in back which is crucial to addressing rotation. 5) Mehta casts are anchored at the kids hips and is also crucial in addressing rotation and curve. You will know this is there because of the hourglass shape it gives your kid. It will cut in at their waist and then flare back out over their hips.Our initial Dr. suggested us to go with a risser cast and I am very glad we found Mehta casting and went with that, as our son has had incredible results, gone from 47 degrees to 2 degrees out of cast in 10 months and is now in a brace. Also I hear great things about Shriner's Chigaco I would absolutely look into going there.I hope this helps.JennMommy to Cole, 2.5 years old, 1st brace from Rochester, 2 degrees down from 47 after 10 months in 5 casts> > > From:

Baker <tkbaker05@.. .>> Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Hello> infantile scoliosis treatment @groups. com> Date: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM> > >  > > > > > > > > > Hello all!>  > I am new to the group. My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect, diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago. I am happy to report that besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him. They found his scoliosis last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact that he had just learned how to walk, it didn't work. His ortho has put a cast on, even though he

feels that Timmy just needs the brace. We have about 3 weeks to decide what to do.>  > His degree is at about 55. He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more comfy. I just had a few questions about the cast. How do you keep your little ones from over heating? Do they learn how to do the normal things quickly? When is a brace put on after the cast? I am worried about his decision, but I would do anything for my son!>  > Baker> mom to Timmy, 1st cast>

Guest guest

I have a daughter with a repaired heart defect who is also g-tube fed and is in

her second cast. After 4 months of bracing the curve was still progressing and

an MRI ruled out congenital scoliosis as well. So far she has not had any

correction in the cast. I would like to hear your son's heart story and how you

got him off the g-tube! My email is audreymdawson@...

mom to Audrey, 2

2nd cast, SLC

>

> Hello all!

>  

> I am new to the group.  My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. 

He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect,

diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago.  I am happy to report that

besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him.  They found his scoliosis

last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact that he had

just learned how to walk, it didn't work.  His ortho has put a cast on, even

though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace.  We have about 3 weeks to

decide what to do.

>  

> His degree is at about 55.  He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't

sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more

comfy.  I just had a few questions about the cast.  How do you keep your little

ones from over heating?  Do they learn how to do the normal things quickly? 

When is a brace put on after the cast?  I am worried about his decision, but I

would do anything for my son!

>  

> Baker

> mom to Timmy, 1st cast

>

Guest guest

The info is on our website and I'm sure that some of the Chicago moms will chime in as well......- Noelle's mommy, 3 years oldRochester NYCasted 8 times for 1 1/2 years and in first brace!reflux, mild plagiocephaly, mild torticollos, hypotonia, ligament laxity, suspected Ehler's Danlos III

From: Baker <tkbaker05 (DOT) com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Helloinfantile scoliosis treatment @groups. comDate: Tuesday, May 25, 2010, 3:42 PM

Hello all!

I am new to the group. My son just had his first cast put on Friday, 5/21. He is 2 years and 4 months, and has many other issues including a heart defect, diabetes, and had a gtube up until a few days ago. I am happy to report that besides this pesky scoliosis, all is well with him. They found his scoliosis last Oct., and we tried the brace, but with the gtube and the fact that he had just learned how to walk, it didn't work. His ortho has put a cast on, even though he feels that Timmy just needs the brace. We have about 3 weeks to decide what to do.

His degree is at about 55. He is running around in his cast, but he couldn't sit up, so yesterday they removed a little around his hips to make him more comfy. I just had a few questions about the cast. How do you keep your little ones from over heating? Do they learn how to do the normal things quickly? When is a brace put on after the cast? I am worried about his decision, but I would do anything for my son!

Baker

mom to Timmy, 1st cast

Guest guest

Hi, we too are going to Chicago Shriners for our daughter Kaitlyn.

You need to get ahold of the care corrdinator.... Cree 773-622-5400 and ask for her.

Hope this helps

Mommy to Kaitlyn (11 months) 37 deg. curve - MRI tomorrow!

Hello all!

Baker

mom to Timmy, 1st cast

Guest guest

You are sending great Rob!Sent via BlackBerry from T-MobileFrom: Rob West <robwest0828@...>Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 21:14:16 -0700 (PDT)<Autism and Aspergers Treatment >Subject: HelloI am a new member of this group and just wanted to make sure that I am able to send and post messages within the Group.

Guest guest

Rob

you can post, but like all new members you are on moderation.  That

means it may take a little while for your posts to show up.  If you

don't do anything crazy in the next couple of weeks I will take you off

moderation.  The same goes for all new members. 

If anyone has been a member for a while and wants to be un-moderated,

add a note to your next post and I will hopefully get time to follow it

up in the next couple of days.

On 29/05/2010 2:14 PM, Rob West wrote:

I am a new member of this group and just wanted to make sure

that I am able to send and post messages within the Group.

Guest guest

I don't mind being moderated sometime my fingers go faster than my brain lolSent via BlackBerry from T-MobileFrom: Riley <klriley@...>Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 16:15:15 +1000<Autism and Aspergers Treatment >Subject: Re: HelloRobyou can post, but like all new members you are on moderation.  Thatmeans it may take a little while for your posts to show up.  If youdon't do anything crazy in the next couple of weeks I will take you offmoderation.  The same goes for all new members.  If anyone has been a member for a while and wants to be un-moderated,add a note to your next post and I will hopefully get time to follow itup in the next couple of days.On 29/05/2010 2:14 PM, Rob West wrote: I am a new member of this group and just wanted to make surethat I am able to send and post messages within the Group.

Guest guest

My name is Misty. My son and I are both Aspies :) I am single parent of two and

teach autistic children at a specialized program in West Boylston MA. I recently

had to leave due to my son and I's " difficulties " , but plan on getting my BA in

Health and Wellness from UMASS and specializing in Aspergers and Autism.

I am currently fighting the school system and the bus company. As you can

imagine, Ive been through pretty much anything you can imagine...so ask away :)

-Misty

>

> New member alert

> Please tell us something about you and your family. Welcome all, this

> is a great list with a great group of people willing to offer

> support. God bless all, Sharon

>

Guest guest

, Jaden sound very much like my son Elijah. I made a decision about a year ago to let him try everything he wants to, with the rule he has to finish what he starts. Like this winter he played on a basketball team. It's always hard when it's going on, and I just want to give up, but every experience makes him stronger. I came to realize that if I don't help him go out and get involved with the world he'll never learn how and that will lessen the chances of him being able to grow up and live on his own. I know it's hard work now, but it'll all be worth it in the end. From: soldiersprincess01 <soldiersprincess01@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Mon, June 14, 2010 7:13:53 PMSubject: Hello

My name is . We are a military family with 2 kids. Jaden is our son, he is 6 1/2, and is our daughter she is 5. Jaden has been diagnosed with ADHD for 2 years and Asperger's for 6 months.

We recently decided to pull them out of school because of the year long battle to get our son services at school that he qualifies for. We are going to home school both of them from now on.

Jaden has also in the beginning part of in home ABA therapy, we are all really excited about it.

I think the hardest time I am having right now is the fact that he wants to do so much but when he can't do it 'right' on the first try he throws this huge fit. It's to the point of not wanting to take him to try new things because I am tired of the whining and crying.

Today for example they begged me for a slip n slide. I set it all up and they were so excited. When Jaden tried to go... he couldn't relax enough to fall face first on the slide and started blaming the slide! After 10 minutes of this I decided to turn it off and come inside. Then I got a tantrum from him because he said he didn't get enough time with it. That is just one example. I have so many many more.

Guest guest

Welcome !

I'm sure a lot of people in this group can relate to you!! I sure can. I have a 12 year old son who was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 7. He also appears "normal" to a lot of people, but we've gone through a lot of what you have in your post!

Glad you are here!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- Hello

Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts what we call "raging", screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He looks "normal" I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

~ Hoaglund

"If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!!"

Guest guest

Hi ,I have a 5 year old son and a 16 year old son, both autistic (verbal issues).  I am Aspergers.  My 5 year old and I are/were (when I was a kid, better now), ragers.  His rages can go on for hours.  He will tear up ANYTHING and ANYONE in his way.  He was diagnosed with Autism only a week ago, but the problems have been ongoing since he was 3 months old. 

We haven't even started any therapy yet for any of his issues.  They told us that when he becomes more verbal, the rages might improve just from that, which I hope is the case.  Nice to meet you.Ashton from WA

Aspergers Mom with 2 Autistic Sons.On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Hoaglund <nursehoagie@...> wrote:

Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts what we call " raging " , screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He looks " normal " I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about Isaiah.  I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

~ Hoaglund

" If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!! "

Guest guest

Hi , Hang in there and just love him. God knew where to put him. All things happen for a reason. I have 5 grandsons under the age of 7. The next to youngest is 3 and has autism. He also looks "normal". I get really tired of the stares he receives just because he is covering his ears. I am thinking of making some cards to hand to people who actually have the nerve to ask, in front of him, "whats wrong with him." He is precious and I love him with all my heart. Peace and Love, From: Hoaglund <nursehoagie@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Tue, July 27, 2010 10:46:54 AMSubject: Hello

Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts what we call "raging", screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He looks "normal" I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

~ Hoaglund

Guest guest

Hi !

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am in desperate need of finding other parents who

actually know what I am talking about. Isaiah is so unpredictable at this point,

last year he was hospitalized 4 times. All because he got so violent at home

that I couldn't handle him. And of course once he gets on the psych unit at the

hospital he's as quiet as a church mouse. He typically rages at home. So for a

long time, I thought, well what in the world am I doing wrong? Well of course I

figured out that home is his safe place, he feels comfortable enough to let

loose at home. But that wasn't helping our case at school, they kept telling me

he wasn't displaying enough of this or that behavior at school to place in a

special needs class. FINALLY this past April he finally got placed in a special

needs class. Tomorrow is his last day of summer school and I'll tell you, I am

not looking forward to the coming weeks before the school year starts again. I

need to find enough stuff to do w/ him to keep him busy..

How is your son now? Thanks again for sharing!

>

> Welcome !

> I'm sure a lot of people in this group can relate to you!! I sure can. I

> have a 12 year old son who was diagnosed with aspergers when he was 7. He

> also appears " normal " to a lot of people, but we've gone through a lot of

> what you have in your post!

>

> Glad you are here!

>

>

> Estevan, SK

> Canada

>

>

>

>

> -- Hello

>

>

> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been diagnosed w/

> aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go along w/ all that.

> He also has some learning disabilities and so needless to say, he is a

> handful. When he gets worked up, he starts what we call " raging " , screaming,

> punching the wall, he broke a window last week, thank God he didn't hurt

> himself. Disciplining him is next to impossible. I have hard time finding

> people who can relate. He looks " normal " I hate that term, but to just look

> at him, you'd never know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he

> smiles, so a lot of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a

> bit about Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old

> daughter Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

>

> ~ Hoaglund

>

> " If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!! "

>

Guest guest

My son also gets very angry when frustrated. He seems when he's in his frustrated state to revert back to a earlier/ younger state where he points, yells, pushes, bites, etc. But I think this is true of everyone when they are truely upset. We all do things we wouldn't do in a calm state of mind. It's just that these episodes are more frequent with a child with Aspergers. This mornings rage was about his younger sister being in his room. :(

From: Ashton S <ashtonca@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 1:22:55 AMSubject: Re: Hello

Hi ,I have a 5 year old son and a 16 year old son, both autistic (verbal issues). I am Aspergers. My 5 year old and I are/were (when I was a kid, better now), ragers. His rages can go on for hours. He will tear up ANYTHING and ANYONE in his way. He was diagnosed with Autism only a week ago, but the problems have been ongoing since he was 3 months old. We haven't even started any therapy yet for any of his issues. They told us that when he becomes more verbal, the rages might improve just from that, which I hope is the case. Nice to meet you.Ashton from WAAspergers Mom with 2 Autistic Sons.

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Hoaglund <nursehoagie> wrote:

~ Hoaglund

Guest guest

I think the noise thing gets better with age at least it has with my son with Aspergers, almost 8 yrs. old. Fireworks still bother him though. He was also bothered by the noise at the carnival...BUT!! He can go to a moive without much of a problem, which has improved from when he was 3 and 4. The pre-views bother him more than the actual movie.

From: <pendarvismary@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Wed, July 28, 2010 7:10:04 AMSubject: Re: Hello

Hi , Hang in there and just love him. God knew where to put him. All things happen for a reason. I have 5 grandsons under the age of 7. The next to youngest is 3 and has autism. He also looks "normal". I get really tired of the stares he receives just because he is covering his ears. I am thinking of making some cards to hand to people who actually have the nerve to ask, in front of him, "whats wrong with him." He is precious and I love him with all my heart.

Peace and Love,

From: Hoaglund <nursehoagie>Autism and Aspergers TreatmentSent: Tue, July 27, 2010 10:46:54 AMSubject: Hello

~ Hoaglund

Guest guest

Hello Jasmine and , I don't usually read the letters to the

autism group anymore, guess I just didn't know what I could say to

mothers with newly diagnosed kids with autism, but today is so slow here

thought I would give it a try. My son Marty is now 45 years old and I

can certainly remember all the stages he went through and me quest for

" help " for him. It was all a pretty intense experience. Mostly all I

ever knew is I had to protect him, I was his mother and it was my job to

do that, so that is what I did, and still do.

I couldn't do it alone I knew that so began to seek the Lord and found

Him in 1973. I know this is not a religious group so don't want to go

too deep, just want to say that I found the Lord Jesus Christ in 1973

and since then He has guided me through every stage, some quite intense

and terrible such as the rages that yo mention. His didn't hit him until

puberty and I had no idea what in the world was wrong with him, he'd

always had uncontrollable seizures so took drugs for them but nothing

really worked. He quit talking at about age 8, maybe 10, had said a few

words before that but they just gradually stopped. His most used term

was, " Good boy, good boy! " He said that a lot, guess because we always

said that to him a lot, and still do.

I never did find help in the system for him, not one little bit of help,

hard to believe but true. I know things have changed, now autism is

recognized, when he was young nobody ever used the term. All the wanted

to do was send him to the state institution and coop him up there and

have me disown him, but I refused. Once I became a Christian, I figured

since my son wasn't going to change that much, then the Lord must want

me to, so I have changed, and grown, and matured.

And wonderfully his behaviors have settled down also, maybe because I

don't need him so much to teach me and to mold me. A lot to say in so

few words, suffice it to say I have much peace in my life now, as does

my son. Our days are very peaceful and loving and good. We enjoy every

minute of our precious lives together. He has two brothers and one

sister and I have seven grandchildren I see a lot of, in fact three of

them are coming over as soon as I finish this and we will no doubt take

a little swim in the pool out back.

Marty sits in his chair and makes designs with a shoe lace, he does this

most every day all day long. He is on a G-tube now, has been for many

years, as he was unable to swallow food very well and would get

aspiration pneumonia quite a bit, got real malnourished and weak because

of not enough nourishment. He has been hospitalized many times for

various things, the last few years for pneumonia coming close to dying

but making it though each time. This last time in April he has some

teeth pulled and even then spent 5 days in ICU due to aspiration, but

hasn't had much to make him sick since then, three months!

So life is good and we are happy and peaceful with a hope for

tomorrow....when Jesus comes again and there will be no more sickness

and dying on this planet anymore.

Woopeee!

Just my experience for the last 45 years, if you are interested in

reading my personal story, you may look up; " Why Didn't Anybody Ever

Tell Me About This! " it is listed at Xulon Publishing, and I am the

author, Carolyn G. Harper.

Let me know if anybody finds it and reads it, it would be nice to get

some feedback. I have been going to start a blog on it, actually have it

set up and ready to go and it would motivate me if anybody

responded...and I need motivation...would like to help others looking

for help as I once was myself....

Best to all,

Carolyn G. Harper in Springfield, Oregon ;o))

Hoaglund wrote:

> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been

> diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go

> along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so

> needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts

> what we call " raging " , screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window

> last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next

> to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He

> looks " normal " I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never

> know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot

> of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about

> Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter

> Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

>

> ~ Hoaglund

>

> " If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!! "

>

>

>

Guest guest

Ooops, just tried to find my book. First you have to type in Xulon

Publishing, then type in the title under search, then push go. The title

is: " Why Couldn't Anybody Ever Tell Me About This! " and the author name

is Carolyn Mannila Harper. I forgot I used my maiden name also...which

is Mannila.

I could send the link but can't remember how to do it and my daughter

isn't over here yet, I am a bit computer illiterate, but not completely. ;o(

Anyway I was thrilled to see the description of my book is still there,

and my personal introduction.

It was good if I do say so myself!

Carolyn ;o)

Carolyn wrote:

> Hello Jasmine and , I don't usually read the letters to the

> autism group anymore, guess I just didn't know what I could say to

> mothers with newly diagnosed kids with autism, but today is so slow here

> thought I would give it a try. My son Marty is now 45 years old and I

> can certainly remember all the stages he went through and me quest for

> " help " for him. It was all a pretty intense experience. Mostly all I

> ever knew is I had to protect him, I was his mother and it was my job to

> do that, so that is what I did, and still do.

>

> I couldn't do it alone I knew that so began to seek the Lord and found

> Him in 1973. I know this is not a religious group so don't want to go

> too deep, just want to say that I found the Lord Jesus Christ in 1973

> and since then He has guided me through every stage, some quite intense

> and terrible such as the rages that yo mention. His didn't hit him until

> puberty and I had no idea what in the world was wrong with him, he'd

> always had uncontrollable seizures so took drugs for them but nothing

> really worked. He quit talking at about age 8, maybe 10, had said a few

> words before that but they just gradually stopped. His most used term

> was, " Good boy, good boy! " He said that a lot, guess because we always

> said that to him a lot, and still do.

>

> I never did find help in the system for him, not one little bit of help,

> hard to believe but true. I know things have changed, now autism is

> recognized, when he was young nobody ever used the term. All the wanted

> to do was send him to the state institution and coop him up there and

> have me disown him, but I refused. Once I became a Christian, I figured

> since my son wasn't going to change that much, then the Lord must want

> me to, so I have changed, and grown, and matured.

>

> And wonderfully his behaviors have settled down also, maybe because I

> don't need him so much to teach me and to mold me. A lot to say in so

> few words, suffice it to say I have much peace in my life now, as does

> my son. Our days are very peaceful and loving and good. We enjoy every

> minute of our precious lives together. He has two brothers and one

> sister and I have seven grandchildren I see a lot of, in fact three of

> them are coming over as soon as I finish this and we will no doubt take

> a little swim in the pool out back.

>

> Marty sits in his chair and makes designs with a shoe lace, he does this

> most every day all day long. He is on a G-tube now, has been for many

> years, as he was unable to swallow food very well and would get

> aspiration pneumonia quite a bit, got real malnourished and weak because

> of not enough nourishment. He has been hospitalized many times for

> various things, the last few years for pneumonia coming close to dying

> but making it though each time. This last time in April he has some

> teeth pulled and even then spent 5 days in ICU due to aspiration, but

> hasn't had much to make him sick since then, three months!

>

> So life is good and we are happy and peaceful with a hope for

> tomorrow....when Jesus comes again and there will be no more sickness

> and dying on this planet anymore.

>

> Woopeee!

>

> Just my experience for the last 45 years, if you are interested in

> reading my personal story, you may look up; " Why Didn't Anybody Ever

> Tell Me About This! " it is listed at Xulon Publishing, and I am the

> author, Carolyn G. Harper.

>

> Let me know if anybody finds it and reads it, it would be nice to get

> some feedback. I have been going to start a blog on it, actually have it

> set up and ready to go and it would motivate me if anybody

> responded...and I need motivation...would like to help others looking

> for help as I once was myself....

>

> Best to all,

> Carolyn G. Harper in Springfield, Oregon ;o))

>

> Hoaglund wrote:

>

>> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been

>> diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go

>> along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so

>> needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts

>> what we call " raging " , screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window

>> last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next

>> to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He

>> looks " normal " I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never

>> know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot

>> of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about

>> Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter

>> Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

>> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

>>

>> ~ Hoaglund

>>

>> " If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!! "

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

I thought I'd help out Carolyn and post the link for her book. You can find it at http://xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=1600349048 & HC_ISBN=1600349056

I bought it a couple years ago (I think) and thought it was a good read!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- Re: Hello

Ooops, just tried to find my book. First you have to type in Xulon

Publishing, then type in the title under search, then push go. The title

is: "Why Couldn't Anybody Ever Tell Me About This!" and the author name

is Carolyn Mannila Harper. I forgot I used my maiden name also...which

is Mannila.

I could send the link but can't remember how to do it and my daughter

isn't over here yet, I am a bit computer illiterate, but not completely. ;o(

Anyway I was thrilled to see the description of my book is still there,

and my personal introduction.

It was good if I do say so myself!

Carolyn ;o)

Carolyn wrote:

> Hello Jasmine and , I don't usually read the letters to the

> autism group anymore, guess I just didn't know what I could say to

> mothers with newly diagnosed kids with autism, but today is so slow here

> thought I would give it a try. My son Marty is now 45 years old and I

> can certainly remember all the stages he went through and me quest for

> "help" for him. It was all a pretty intense experience. Mostly all I

> ever knew is I had to protect him, I was his mother and it was my job to

> do that, so that is what I did, and still do.

>

> I couldn't do it alone I knew that so began to seek the Lord and found

> Him in 1973. I know this is not a religious group so don't want to go

> too deep, just want to say that I found the Lord Jesus Christ in 1973

> and since then He has guided me through every stage, some quite intense

> and terrible such as the rages that yo mention. His didn't hit him until

> puberty and I had no idea what in the world was wrong with him, he'd

> always had uncontrollable seizures so took drugs for them but nothing

> really worked. He quit talking at about age 8, maybe 10, had said a few

> words before that but they just gradually stopped. His most used term

> was, "Good boy, good boy!" He said that a lot, guess because we always

> said that to him a lot, and still do.

>

> I never did find help in the system for him, not one little bit of help,

> hard to believe but true. I know things have changed, now autism is

> recognized, when he was young nobody ever used the term. All the wanted

> to do was send him to the state institution and coop him up there and

> have me disown him, but I refused. Once I became a Christian, I figured

> since my son wasn't going to change that much, then the Lord must want

> me to, so I have changed, and grown, and matured.

>

> And wonderfully his behaviors have settled down also, maybe because I

> don't need him so much to teach me and to mold me. A lot to say in so

> few words, suffice it to say I have much peace in my life now, as does

> my son. Our days are very peaceful and loving and good. We enjoy every

> minute of our precious lives together. He has two brothers and one

> sister and I have seven grandchildren I see a lot of, in fact three of

> them are coming over as soon as I finish this and we will no doubt take

> a little swim in the pool out back.

>

> Marty sits in his chair and makes designs with a shoe lace, he does this

> most every day all day long. He is on a G-tube now, has been for many

> years, as he was unable to swallow food very well and would get

> aspiration pneumonia quite a bit, got real malnourished and weak because

> of not enough nourishment. He has been hospitalized many times for

> various things, the last few years for pneumonia coming close to dying

> but making it though each time. This last time in April he has some

> teeth pulled and even then spent 5 days in ICU due to aspiration, but

> hasn't had much to make him sick since then, three months!

>

> So life is good and we are happy and peaceful with a hope for

> tomorrow....when Jesus comes again and there will be no more sickness

> and dying on this planet anymore.

>

> Woopeee!

>

> Just my experience for the last 45 years, if you are interested in

> reading my personal story, you may look up; "Why Didn't Anybody Ever

> Tell Me About This!" it is listed at Xulon Publishing, and I am the

> author, Carolyn G. Harper.

>

> Let me know if anybody finds it and reads it, it would be nice to get

> some feedback. I have been going to start a blog on it, actually have it

> set up and ready to go and it would motivate me if anybody

> responded...and I need motivation...would like to help others looking

> for help as I once was myself....

>

> Best to all,

> Carolyn G. Harper in Springfield, Oregon ;o))

>

> Hoaglund wrote:

>

>> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been

>> diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go

>> along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so

>> needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts

>> what we call "raging", screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window

>> last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next

>> to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He

>> looks "normal" I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never

>> know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot

>> of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about

>> Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter

>> Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

>> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

>>

>> ~ Hoaglund

>>

>> "If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!!"

>>

>>

>>

>>

>

>

> ------------------------------------

>

>

Guest guest

Oh thanks , that was nice of you, makes it easier to find.

Sometimes I forget I have a book but when I read from a person who is

just starting out on the long journey with a child with special needs I

think perhaps I can help to encourage them by them reading my own

experiences and seeing how the Lord helped me. After all He made me, and

my son, He must know what is going on with us.

Thanks for sending that. Tried it, yep it works!

I need to get to work on my blog also, my daughter set it up for me for

Christmas and I have neglected to get it going. Maybe I could start by

going over each chapter of the book and put in a lot of stuff I didn't

include, and have people write for discussion and feedback or whatever,

any ideas on this?

Carolyn

& Godfrey wrote:

>

> I thought I'd help out Carolyn and post the link for her book. You can

> find it at

>

http://xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=1600349048 & HC_ISBN=160034\

>

<http://xulonpress.com/bookstore/bookdetail.php?PB_ISBN=1600349048 & HC_ISBN=16003\

49056>

> I bought it a couple years ago (I think) and thought it was a good read!

>

> Estevan, SK

> Canada

> /--*/ Re: Hello

> Ooops, just tried to find my book. First you have to type in Xulon

> Publishing, then type in the title under search, then push go. The title

> is: " Why Couldn't Anybody Ever Tell Me About This! " and the author name

> is Carolyn Mannila Harper. I forgot I used my maiden name also...which

> is Mannila.

> I could send the link but can't remember how to do it and my daughter

> isn't over here yet, I am a bit computer illiterate, but not

> completely. ;o(

> Anyway I was thrilled to see the description of my book is still there,

> and my personal introduction.

> It was good if I do say so myself!

> Carolyn ;o)

> Carolyn wrote:

> > Hello Jasmine and , I don't usually read the letters to the

> > autism group anymore, guess I just didn't know what I could say to

> > mothers with newly diagnosed kids with autism, but today is so slow here

> > thought I would give it a try. My son Marty is now 45 years old and I

> > can certainly remember all the stages he went through and me quest for

> > " help " for him. It was all a pretty intense experience. Mostly all I

> > ever knew is I had to protect him, I was his mother and it was my job to

> > do that, so that is what I did, and still do.

> >

> > I couldn't do it alone I knew that so began to seek the Lord and found

> > Him in 1973. I know this is not a religious group so don't want to go

> > too deep, just want to say that I found the Lord Jesus Christ in 1973

> > and since then He has guided me through every stage, some quite intense

> > and terrible such as the rages that yo mention. His didn't hit him until

> > puberty and I had no idea what in the world was wrong with him, he'd

> > always had uncontrollable seizures so took drugs for them but nothing

> > really worked. He quit talking at about age 8, maybe 10, had said a few

> > words before that but they just gradually stopped. His most used term

> > was, " Good boy, good boy! " He said that a lot, guess because we always

> > said that to him a lot, and still do.

> >

> > I never did find help in the system for him, not one little bit of help,

> > hard to believe but true. I know things have changed, now autism is

> > recognized, when he was young nobody ever used the term. All the wanted

> > to do was send him to the state institution and coop him up there and

> > have me disown him, but I refused. Once I became a Christian, I figured

> > since my son wasn't going to change that much, then the Lord must want

> > me to, so I have changed, and grown, and matured.

> >

> > And wonderfully his behaviors have settled down also, maybe because I

> > don't need him so much to teach me and to mold me. A lot to say in so

> > few words, suffice it to say I have much peace in my life now, as does

> > my son. Our days are very peaceful and loving and good. We enjoy every

> > minute of our precious lives together. He has two brothers and one

> > sister and I have seven grandchildren I see a lot of, in fact three of

> > them are coming over as soon as I finish this and we will no doubt take

> > a little swim in the pool out back.

> >

> > Marty sits in his chair and makes designs with a shoe lace, he does this

> > most every day all day long. He is on a G-tube now, has been for many

> > years, as he was unable to swallow food very well and would get

> > aspiration pneumonia quite a bit, got real malnourished and weak because

> > of not enough nourishment. He has been hospitalized many times for

> > various things, the last few years for pneumonia coming close to dying

> > but making it though each time. This last time in April he has some

> > teeth pulled and even then spent 5 days in ICU due to aspiration, but

> > hasn't had much to make him sick since then, three months!

> >

> > So life is good and we are happy and peaceful with a hope for

> > tomorrow....when Jesus comes again and there will be no more sickness

> > and dying on this planet anymore.

> >

> > Woopeee!

> >

> > Just my experience for the last 45 years, if you are interested in

> > reading my personal story, you may look up; " Why Didn't Anybody Ever

> > Tell Me About This! " it is listed at Xulon Publishing, and I am the

> > author, Carolyn G. Harper.

> >

> > Let me know if anybody finds it and reads it, it would be nice to get

> > some feedback. I have been going to start a blog on it, actually have it

> > set up and ready to go and it would motivate me if anybody

> > responded...and I need motivation...would like to help others looking

> > for help as I once was myself....

> >

> > Best to all,

> > Carolyn G. Harper in Springfield, Oregon ;o))

> >

> > Hoaglund wrote:

> >

> >> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been

> >> diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go

> >> along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so

> >> needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts

> >> what we call " raging " , screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window

> >> last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next

> >> to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He

> >> looks " normal " I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never

> >> know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot

> >> of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about

> >> Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter

> >> Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

> >> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

> >>

> >> ~ Hoaglund

> >>

> >> " If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!! "

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >

> >

Guest guest

Hi , My son also uses our house has his "safe place" where he can let all the emotions and frustrations of the day out. Luckily we have a wonderful school and they listened (for the most part) when I explained how "normal" he can appear at school - and what happens when he gets home! is nearly 13 and as he gets older he seems able to control himself better than he did. Hopefully your son will also learn how to contain his rages too.

One of the things we got the school to do that has helped is we got the teacher to put up a schedule each day, of what was going to happen. It seems to help when he knows exactly what's coming up. We also asked the teacher to tell him if something changed. Even if it was a good thing, like getting to watch a movie instead of doing math, that would upset (even though they wouldn't see it at school, he would wait till he got home) So the teacher would talk to and explain the change, giving him as much notice as possible, before announcing the change to the whole class.

Doing sports in school also really seemed to upset so we asked for him to be excused from the recess sports time (this was mandatory when he was in grade 3, 4 and ) His demeanor changed dramatically almost as soon as he stopped the recess sports. Eventually they "invented" a new sport for and others who don't like team sports. They called it "walk and Talk" and as long as the kids were moving, walking around the school yard, they were getting their exercise and taking part.

And one thing that took us a while to realize was that even though had these concessions at school, he didn't always get them because he often took things the teacher said very literally. For instance, he knew he didn't have to participate in recess sports - but when the teacher told the class that every single student had to sign up for something, he still signed up, even though he knew he didn't have to. After all she said "every single student" and he's a student! Of course the teacher thought it was wonderful that he had chosen to take part. Poor played kick ball for a whole month, had meltdowns almost every day, and we had no clue why. We finally found out he was playing kickball, asked the teacher to get him out of it, and the very next day he was like a different kid - no meltdowns!!

Like I said, the older he gets, the better he seems to be at handling the rages - and also I think we are learning how to handle him too. It gets easier to spot when he is getting upset and to intervene before it gets really out of hand.

But it will always be a struggle I'm sure!

For , schedule is the best thing. Up at the same time every day, even when there's no school, breakfast at the same time, etc.

Good luck!!

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- Hello> > > Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been diagnosed w/> aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go along w/ all that.> He also has some learning disabilities and so needless to say, he is a> handful. When he gets worked up, he starts what we call "raging", screaming,> punching the wall, he broke a window last week, thank God he didn't hurt> himself. Disciplining him is next to impossible. I have hard time finding> people who can relate. He looks "normal" I hate that term, but to just look> at him, you'd never know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he> smiles, so a lot of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a> bit about Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old> daughter Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!> > ~ Hoaglund> > "If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!!">

Guest guest

No problem Carolyn, glad to help!

Keep us posted about your blog, I'd love to read it. I think you would have a lot of information to put in a blog that would help a lot of people! You've been through a lot and have learned a lot of things along the way that would help a lot of people.

And you write very well so it would be great to read!

Estevan, SK

Canada

--*/ Re: Hello

> Ooops, just tried to find my book. First you have to type in Xulon

> Publishing, then type in the title under search, then push go. The title

> is: "Why Couldn't Anybody Ever Tell Me About This!" and the author name

> is Carolyn Mannila Harper. I forgot I used my maiden name also...which

> is Mannila.

> I could send the link but can't remember how to do it and my daughter

> isn't over here yet, I am a bit computer illiterate, but not

> completely. ;o(

> Anyway I was thrilled to see the description of my book is still there,

> and my personal introduction.

> It was good if I do say so myself!

> Carolyn ;o)

> Carolyn wrote:

> > Hello Jasmine and , I don't usually read the letters to the

> > autism group anymore, guess I just didn't know what I could say to

> > mothers with newly diagnosed kids with autism, but today is so slow here

> > thought I would give it a try. My son Marty is now 45 years old and I

> > can certainly remember all the stages he went through and me quest for

> > "help" for him. It was all a pretty intense experience. Mostly all I

> > ever knew is I had to protect him, I was his mother and it was my job to

> > do that, so that is what I did, and still do.

> >

> > I couldn't do it alone I knew that so began to seek the Lord and found

> > Him in 1973. I know this is not a religious group so don't want to go

> > too deep, just want to say that I found the Lord Jesus Christ in 1973

> > and since then He has guided me through every stage, some quite intense

> > and terrible such as the rages that yo mention. His didn't hit him until

> > puberty and I had no idea what in the world was wrong with him, he'd

> > always had uncontrollable seizures so took drugs for them but nothing

> > really worked. He quit talking at about age 8, maybe 10, had said a few

> > words before that but they just gradually stopped. His most used term

> > was, "Good boy, good boy!" He said that a lot, guess because we always

> > said that to him a lot, and still do.

> >

> > I never did find help in the system for him, not one little bit of help,

> > hard to believe but true. I know things have changed, now autism is

> > recognized, when he was young nobody ever used the term. All the wanted

> > to do was send him to the state institution and coop him up there and

> > have me disown him, but I refused. Once I became a Christian, I figured

> > since my son wasn't going to change that much, then the Lord must want

> > me to, so I have changed, and grown, and matured.

> >

> > And wonderfully his behaviors have settled down also, maybe because I

> > don't need him so much to teach me and to mold me. A lot to say in so

> > few words, suffice it to say I have much peace in my life now, as does

> > my son. Our days are very peaceful and loving and good. We enjoy every

> > minute of our precious lives together. He has two brothers and one

> > sister and I have seven grandchildren I see a lot of, in fact three of

> > them are coming over as soon as I finish this and we will no doubt take

> > a little swim in the pool out back.

> >

> > Marty sits in his chair and makes designs with a shoe lace, he does this

> > most every day all day long. He is on a G-tube now, has been for many

> > years, as he was unable to swallow food very well and would get

> > aspiration pneumonia quite a bit, got real malnourished and weak because

> > of not enough nourishment. He has been hospitalized many times for

> > various things, the last few years for pneumonia coming close to dying

> > but making it though each time. This last time in April he has some

> > teeth pulled and even then spent 5 days in ICU due to aspiration, but

> > hasn't had much to make him sick since then, three months!

> >

> > So life is good and we are happy and peaceful with a hope for

> > tomorrow....when Jesus comes again and there will be no more sickness

> > and dying on this planet anymore.

> >

> > Woopeee!

> >

> > Just my experience for the last 45 years, if you are interested in

> > reading my personal story, you may look up; "Why Didn't Anybody Ever

> > Tell Me About This!" it is listed at Xulon Publishing, and I am the

> > author, Carolyn G. Harper.

> >

> > Let me know if anybody finds it and reads it, it would be nice to get

> > some feedback. I have been going to start a blog on it, actually have it

> > set up and ready to go and it would motivate me if anybody

> > responded...and I need motivation...would like to help others looking

> > for help as I once was myself....

> >

> > Best to all,

> > Carolyn G. Harper in Springfield, Oregon ;o))

> >

> > Hoaglund wrote:

> >

> >> Hello, my name is . I have a 6yr old son that has been

> >> diagnosed w/ aspergers, bipolar, and various other conditions that go

> >> along w/ all that. He also has some learning disabilities and so

> >> needless to say, he is a handful. When he gets worked up, he starts

> >> what we call "raging", screaming, punching the wall, he broke a window

> >> last week, thank God he didn't hurt himself. Disciplining him is next

> >> to impossible. I have hard time finding people who can relate. He

> >> looks "normal" I hate that term, but to just look at him, you'd never

> >> know how much goes on. He does interact w/ people, he smiles, so a lot

> >> of people just think I must be nuts! Anyways, that's just a bit about

> >> Isaiah. I also have a 13 year old son , 11 year old daughter

> >> Haley and 9 yr old daughter Savannah. My husband Darnell and I have

> >> our hands full!!!Thanks for listening!

> >>

> >> ~ Hoaglund

> >>

> >> "If God brought you to it, He WILL bring you thru it!!"

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >

> >

> > ------------------------------------

> >