RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The only new thang is school but the teacher said the first couple of days he used it then all of a sudden he wouldn't now he will not at home either, peeing we never had a problem with him but we just got him to sit on the potty to poo before he would come to me and tell me he had to and I would have to put a diaper on him so up until a couple of months thats what we had to do. I thought it was going good but then this. Guess I will get with the Dr. to see if he has any ideas. thanks for the help!!!

From: "crmbueno@..." <crmbueno@...>autism Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:04:20 PMSubject: RE: help

Hi lachelle, Has there been an event or change that could have affected him so he would be afraid of the bathroom? Like a birth or death? New school or new house, a scary movie or cartoon about the bathroom? My son used to watch a vhs tape of bear in the big blue house that showed that everybody used it and good hand washing, etc.. Hope it helps . Hang in there. I know its tough when our kiddos take a step back. Believe me ive been there too. chris

Guest guest

My son wasn't potty trained until he was 8. We had to use a card that I got the pictures off of google. It had two fingers then an arrow to the right, then a picture of a toilet. When I wanted him to try to use the bathroom, I'd give him the card. Meaning "two minutes until you use the potty." It gave him the control and it might be discreet enough in the school in case it's a shyness thing with the new teacher.

RE: help

Hi lachelle, Has there been an event or change that could have affected him so he would be afraid of the bathroom? Like a birth or death? New school or new house, a scary movie or cartoon about the bathroom? My son used to watch a vhs tape of bear in the big blue house that showed that everybody used it and good hand washing, etc.. Hope it helps . Hang in there. I know its tough when our kiddos take a step back. Believe me ive been there too. chris

Guest guest

Hi Lachelle,

I know our kids do sometimes go back and forth for awhile before being totally trained. I know that my NT 3 year old was dry all the time and going #2 in the potty and then one day she just started going in her pants. We went back to pull ups and kept encouraging her to go in the potty and a few weeks later she did. Has he been constipated lately or is he now? A painful or difficult stool could set him back. I would look into any changes and start doing whatever worked last time to get him to use the toilet. Sometimes will have an accident when he is just starting to feel sick. Hopefully this is just a little step back and he will get back to going on the toilet again. Good Luck, Kellie

From: lachelle faulkner <lilbillyf@...>autism Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:02:45 PMSubject: Re: help

The only new thang is school but the teacher said the first couple of days he used it then all of a sudden he wouldn't now he will not at home either, peeing we never had a problem with him but we just got him to sit on the potty to poo before he would come to me and tell me he had to and I would have to put a diaper on him so up until a couple of months thats what we had to do. I thought it was going good but then this. Guess I will get with the Dr. to see if he has any ideas. thanks for the help!!!

From: "crmbuenoaol (DOT) com" <crmbuenoaol (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:04:20 PMSubject: RE: help

Guest guest

Thanks!! will talk to his teachers about that.

From: "crmbueno@..." <crmbueno@...>autism Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:37:49 PMSubject: Re: help

My son wasn't potty trained until he was 8. We had to use a card that I got the pictures off of google. It had two fingers then an arrow to the right, then a picture of a toilet. When I wanted him to try to use the bathroom, I'd give him the card. Meaning "two minutes until you use the potty." It gave him the control and it might be discreet enough in the school in case it's a shyness thing with the new teacher.

Guest guest

Hello Kellie has always had a problem pooing at age one he had emergancy surgury they had to remove part of his small intestint. ( obsturcted bowel) ever since then has been on Marilax a stool softner. for the pooing we just got him potty trained a couple of months ago. He would always come to me and tell me he had to poo and I'd put a diaper on him so I's like we r taking a big step back and I hope we can get him back on track soon

From: Kellie <folkangel@...>autism Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:50:06 PMSubject: Re: help

Hi Lachelle,

I know our kids do sometimes go back and forth for awhile before being totally trained. I know that my NT 3 year old was dry all the time and going #2 in the potty and then one day she just started going in her pants. We went back to pull ups and kept encouraging her to go in the potty and a few weeks later she did. Has he been constipated lately or is he now? A painful or difficult stool could set him back. I would look into any changes and start doing whatever worked last time to get him to use the toilet. Sometimes will have an accident when he is just starting to feel sick. Hopefully this is just a little step back and he will get back to going on the toilet again. Good Luck, Kellie

From: lachelle faulkner <lilbillyf (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:02:45 PMSubject: Re: help

From: "crmbuenoaol (DOT) com" <crmbuenoaol (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:04:20 PMSubject: RE: help

Guest guest

Lachelle, as others have mentioned, it's not uncommon for kids with autism to regress, lose a skill, or display undesirable behaviors when there has been a change in their routine or environment. It can be something as big as a new member of the household or as small as a new pair of shoes. It's often tough to pinpoint exactly what's going on so it may be helpful to try and write down everything that's been going on lately and talk to all of his team members at school to see what's changed or different there as well.

That being said, Jake will often take a step back in one area just before taking a big step forward in another area. So he may seem to lose his toileting skills but a couple of weeks later he'll have a developmental breakthrough in another area (and he'll eventually regain the toileting skills, thank goodness!)

If it's wetting accidents, I would put him on a toileting schedule, taking him every 15 minutes and reinforcing like crazy when he does go in the toilet (praise, treats and rewards, whatever he responds best to). Once he's no longer having accidents, you can begin to spread that time out slowly....take him every 20, 30, 45 minutes, etc. The time between intervals and how quickly you move on to the next one depends on and how quickly he gets back into the habit of going only in the toilet without any accidents. It may take a couple of weeks, it may take a few days. It may take a month.

Good luck, let us know how it's going!

Love,

Judy (mom to , age 12, NT, and Jake, age 10.5, ASD)

www.bforbedlam.wordpress.com

Guest guest

Thank you so very much for the suggestion will try it anything right now is worth a shot. will ask his teachers to see if anything has changed.

From: J Acciarito <jacyone@...>autism Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 10:23:23 AMSubject: Re: help

Lachelle, as others have mentioned, it's not uncommon for kids with autism to regress, lose a skill, or display undesirable behaviors when there has been a change in their routine or environment. It can be something as big as a new member of the household or as small as a new pair of shoes. It's often tough to pinpoint exactly what's going on so it may be helpful to try and write down everything that's been going on lately and talk to all of his team members at school to see what's changed or different there as well.

That being said, Jake will often take a step back in one area just before taking a big step forward in another area. So he may seem to lose his toileting skills but a couple of weeks later he'll have a developmental breakthrough in another area (and he'll eventually regain the toileting skills, thank goodness!)

If it's wetting accidents, I would put him on a toileting schedule, taking him every 15 minutes and reinforcing like crazy when he does go in the toilet (praise, treats and rewards, whatever he responds best to). Once he's no longer having accidents, you can begin to spread that time out slowly....take him every 20, 30, 45 minutes, etc. The time between intervals and how quickly you move on to the next one depends on and how quickly he gets back into the habit of going only in the toilet without any accidents. It may take a couple of weeks, it may take a few days. It may take a month.

Good luck, let us know how it's going!

Love,

Judy (mom to , age 12, NT, and Jake, age 10.5, ASD)

www.bforbedlam. wordpress. com

Guest guest

Great news!!!

e

From: Gwen Hebert <gwenhebert@...>"autism " <autism >Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 6:36:58 PMSubject: Re: help

Guest guest

nothing to offer other than to say, I just love Kellie. LOL -- talk soon friend!

e

From: Kellie <folkangel@...>autism Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:50:06 PMSubject: Re: help

Hi Lachelle,

From: lachelle faulkner <lilbillyf (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:02:45 PMSubject: Re: help

Guest guest

Hi, Judy! Just chiming in here :) does the same...right before he takes a big step and or makes huge progress it is always preceded by what feels like regression and or chaos!!! :)

e

From: J Acciarito <jacyone@...>autism Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 9:23:23 AMSubject: Re: help

Guest guest

I know the feeling I really hate it when we have worked hard to get rid of a behavior or gain a new skill and it seems like we lose it overnight! My is 9 now and with him I see a pattern 1. Loses the behavior after months and months of work. This will last from weeks to months 2. Starts the behavior again full force and it seems like we are back to square one. We do the same things all over again and he stops much quicker and is successful much longer sometimes as much as a year. He may lose it up to 3 or 4 times but each time he stops much quicker and it is much easier to "teach" the skill again and eventually this cycle ends. This is how does it for behavioral issues such as gagging, food stuffing

etc.. He doesn't seem to lose other skills the same way. I think it is so hard for him to change a behavior that he needs to cycle through it many times before he can completely give it up. Don't give up you can do it again and hopefully it will soon become routine for . I will keep you in my prayers, Kellie

From: lachelle faulkner <lilbillyf@...>autism Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 5:58:07 AMSubject: Re: help

Hello Kellie has always had a problem pooing at age one he had emergancy surgury they had to remove part of his small intestint. ( obsturcted bowel) ever since then has been on Marilax a stool softner. for the pooing we just got him potty trained a couple of months ago. He would always come to me and tell me he had to poo and I'd put a diaper on him so I's like we r taking a big step back and I hope we can get him back on track soon

From: Kellie <folkangelymail (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 9:50:06 PMSubject: Re: help

Hi Lachelle,

Guest guest

Back at you! Has everything slowed down? How is home schooling Lily for those 2 days going? starts school tomorrow! I got them to shorten his day so he will get out at 1 instead of 3 every day. So happy if this help him stay calmer and not be so overwhelmed (but I will sure miss my free afternoons LOL). Talk to you soon, Kellie

From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234@...>autism Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:28:10 PMSubject: Re: help

nothing to offer other than to say, I just love Kellie. LOL -- talk soon friend!

e

From: Kellie <folkangelymail (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:50:06 PMSubject: Re: help

Hi Lachelle,

Guest guest

Firstly I’d ask what happened at school. To me it sounds like

something happened in the boys room.

Deb

nj

autism [mailto:autism ]

On Behalf Of lachelle faulkner

Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:05 PM

autism

Subject: help

for some reason my son is afraid to use the bathroom, he was

going then all of a sudden on day his teacher called and said he wouldn't use

it at school now he will not use it at home and for the first time ever he wet

the bed. just needing some help on wht to do.

Guest guest

Firstly I’d ask what happened at school. To me it sounds like

something happened in the boys room.

Deb

nj

autism [mailto:autism ]

On Behalf Of lachelle faulkner

Sent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 4:05 PM

autism

Subject: help

for some reason my son is afraid to use the bathroom, he was

going then all of a sudden on day his teacher called and said he wouldn't use

it at school now he will not use it at home and for the first time ever he wet

the bed. just needing some help on wht to do.

Guest guest

Oh, I was going to touch base tonight to see how 's first day was :) ---- Glad to know when he starts...prayers for a calm, joyful day for him and for you...

Nothing slows down at my home.... lol, lol ----- it's just a season in our lives...we'll make it :)

e

From: Kellie <folkangel@...>autism Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:52:01 PMSubject: Re: help

Back at you! Has everything slowed down? How is home schooling Lily for those 2 days going? starts school tomorrow! I got them to shorten his day so he will get out at 1 instead of 3 every day. So happy if this help him stay calmer and not be so overwhelmed (but I will sure miss my free afternoons LOL). Talk to you soon, Kellie

From: Two Blessings <ljdjd1234 (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Monday, August 31, 2009 1:28:10 PMSubject: Re: help

e

From: Kellie <folkangelymail (DOT) com>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Sunday, August 30, 2009 8:50:06 PMSubject: Re: help

Hi Lachelle,

Guest guest

Congrats on that 16 pounds!! Depending where you are in your cycle, you may

have cravings. You could try distracting yourself when you have a craving,

gum, walking, that sort of thing. Also it doesn't hurt to enjoy what ever it

is that you are craving, as long as you know you can do it in moderation.

Could also try, taking a step back and thinking about why you may be having

a craving, stress or anxiety,boredom causing it, deal with the emotions,

positive talk, you may realize that it's another issue.

Good luck with your journey

-- Help

Well so far the journey has been like a " honeymoon trip " . One month, lost

16 pounds, food has lost its appeal and feeling great, started running again

However, the last few days have been so hard-cravings are up and feeling

discouraged; any advice out there?

Guest guest

Karla - you should be so proud of yourself.  16lbs is awesome.

I know exactly what you mean about these cravings.  Most of the time I can

handle the cravings by doing something else BUT every once in awhile it just

wins ...

When that happens I have a treat.  Something small and low fat.  If we don't

give in sometimes we will go nuts!  LOL  Make it small and you'll be fine!

Tina

Subject: Re: Help

weightloss

Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 1:10 PM

-- [insideoutweightlos s] Help

Guest guest

Karla - you should be so proud of yourself.  16lbs is awesome.

I know exactly what you mean about these cravings.  Most of the time I can

handle the cravings by doing something else BUT every once in awhile it just

wins ...

When that happens I have a treat.  Something small and low fat.  If we don't

give in sometimes we will go nuts!  LOL  Make it small and you'll be fine!

Tina

Subject: Re: Help

weightloss

Date: Friday, September 4, 2009, 1:10 PM

-- [insideoutweightlos s] Help

Guest guest

There must be something in the air. Zander went to therapy this morning and

crashed there after swimming but has been rolling other than that. He is now

terrorizing his 13yo bro down in the den. Its going to be a long one.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Guest guest

There must be something in the air. Zander went to therapy this morning and

crashed there after swimming but has been rolling other than that. He is now

terrorizing his 13yo bro down in the den. Its going to be a long one.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

Guest guest

Ricky just quieted down to sleep around 11:30p tonight. We stayed at the hotel last night and tonight to celebrate Ricky's 12th birthday a few days early. We had to change rooms because it was too noisy where we were at. Ricky was really overwhelmed today and hyper. He had a couple small meltdowns too. I didn't think he would be asleep before midnight or 1am. Now it will be a good night if he stays asleep.

Guest guest

Ricky just quieted down to sleep around 11:30p tonight. We stayed at the hotel last night and tonight to celebrate Ricky's 12th birthday a few days early. We had to change rooms because it was too noisy where we were at. Ricky was really overwhelmed today and hyper. He had a couple small meltdowns too. I didn't think he would be asleep before midnight or 1am. Now it will be a good night if he stays asleep.

Guest guest

I hope Caleb crashes soon for you. Like it was said in another message, there must be something in the air.

Guest guest

I hope Caleb crashes soon for you. Like it was said in another message, there must be something in the air.

Guest guest

Karac use to have a few nights like that. Melatonin never worked for him. The only

thing that ever worked was Clonidine. LOL, Pat

Help

Caleb has been up since 2 am and

Is still going strong. I have given him 3 mg of melatonin and 2 tsp

of hydroxyzine. Both are to help him sleep but not lately. He is

drawing his superheros at the kitchen table. He has to crash soon

right!!!!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone

Gwen Hebert