RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Vitamin C

Rate this topic

Guest guest

that works,, <4thMoon@...> wrote: Well, I take my Vit C at the crack of dawn (430am) and before bed so that should take care of it. :) On 2/15/07, Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: Red meat is ok hon,, there are some of the B vitamins that you can

ONLY get in red meat,, just dont take vit c with it,, <4thMoongmail> wrote: Thanks Jax, I will definitely be aware of what I am eating when I take it then. I do eat red meat occasionally but will be more careful. I forget to read labels sometimes so this is a good reminder for me. :) Ally On 2/15/07, Jackie on <redjaxjm > wrote: yes ally, that sounds ok,, and if you need vit c, then take it just dont take it with iron containing foods such as fortified cereal like Cream of Wheat, or

with red meat which has higher levels of iron than chicken or fish,, just ask your doc to watch your ferritin level,, he can order that with any blood test he does to make sure it doesnt rise too much, but I have a feeling that it will be just fine.. jax Recent Activity 5 New MembersVisit Your Group

Guest guest

http://gnhealth.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1111 (for the whole article I only posted a few sections)

Who is Likely to Require a Higher Quantity of Vitamin C?

Depending on genetics and life-style factors, some people may require morevitamin C than the average healthy adult to prevent the disruption of importantbiochemical reactions. The elderly, alcohol consumers, diabetics and smokers, for example,tend to be low in vitamin C. In their report, Gaby and Singh offer the following evidenceof this relationship.8

The elderly. Elderly people are known to be lacking in vitamin C,primarily because their diet is poor. In a 1978 study, elderly people had only half thelevel of ascorbic acid in their blood plasma as did younger subjects. How much vitamin Cdo they need to make up for this deficit? According to two studies, men and women over age65 need daily doses of 150 mg and 75 to 80 mg, respectively, to maintain a plasma level of1.0 mg/dl.

Alcohol consumers. Many chronic drinkers lack an adequate level of vitamin Cbecause they tend to eat poorly, according to Gaby and Singh. Research also shows that alarge intake of alcohol can depress the concentration of ascorbic acid in plasma andincrease urinary excretion of vitamin C. Therefore, one study suggests that doses ofvitamin C - at 500 to 1,000 mg per day can aid in the treatment of alcoholism.

Diabetics. The tissues and organs of diabetics may be deprived of vitaminC, requiring them to consume more of the nutrient than does the average person. Vitamin Cmust compete with glucose to reach the tissues and organs through a common cellulartransport system. An insufficient supply of insulin also can inhibit the transport ofvitamin C to cells that require insulin for their glucose uptake.

Workers exposed to toxins. Studies also show that the blood levels ofvitamin C may be low in workers who are exposed to occupational pollutants such as leadand coal tar.

Smokers. At this point, it is a well accepted fact in the scientific arenathat cigarette smoke has a negative impact on the metabolism of vitamin C. According tothe Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people who smoke have a much lower levelof ascorbic acid in the blood than do nonsmokers. While the Food and Nutrition Boardrecommends that smokers consume 100 mg of vitamin C a day, they may need 200 mg or more tomaintain the same concentration of serum ascorbate as a nonsmoker who gets 60 mg ofvitamin C per day.9

How Does Vitamin C Aid the Immune System Defenses?

Vitamin C assists the immune system in two of its primary functions to ridthe body of foreign invaders and to monitor the systems for any sign of tumor cells. Itaccomplishes these vital tasks by stimulating the production of white blood cells,primarily neutrophils, which attack foreign antigens such as bacteria and viruses. It alsoboosts the body's production of both antibodies and interferon, the protein that helpsprotect us from viral invaders and cancer cells.10

As a constituent of collagen, vitamin C may contribute to our immune defenses inan even more fundamental way: our skin and the epithelial lining of the body's orifices,both of which contain collagen, serve as our first line of defense against foreigninvaders.11 They prevent theseinvaders from entering the body in the first place, where the immune system would have togo to war against them.

Beyond that, vitamin C acts against the toxic, mutagenic and carcinogenic effectsof environmental pollutants by stimulating liver detoxifying enzymes. It also stimulatesthe production of PGE1, a prostaglandin which assists lymphocytes, the defender cells inour immune system.12

As the following studies demonstrate, vitamin C can enhance the immune functionin a number of ways:

Healthy adults. In a 1981 study, healthy adults received 1 gram of vitaminC intravenously. One hour later, the neutrophil motility and leukocyte transformation inthe subjects' blood had increased significantly. Other studies support the finding thatvitamin C enhances the leukocyte function. It has also been shown to decreasebacteriological activity.13

Chronically ill adults. Recent studies show that vitamin C has a positive effecton patients suffering from a variety of chronic disorders. In one large study, 260patients with viral hepatitis A took 300 mg of vitamin C a day for several weeks. Theresearchers, who studied immune indicators, such as serum immunoglobulin and neutrophilphagocytosis, concluded that vitamin C "exerts a remarkable immuno-modulatingaction."14

Likewise, a study of 14 patients with chronic brucellosis found that vitamin C"might partially restore peripheral, monocyte function and help themonocyte-macrophage system to mount an effective immune response against [the infection].15 In 60 patients with perennialallergic rhinitis, an ascorbic acid solution lessened symptoms in roughly three-fourths ofthe patients.16 And asthmaticpatients who were treated with vitamin C before their airway was constricted via exercisehad much less difficulty breathing.17

Test tube. The immune system process called phagocytosis, in which certain cells"eat" invading bacteria, is stimulated by vitamin C. In addition, the nutrientmay reduce the suppressor activity of the mononuclear leukocytes, which weakens theoverall effectiveness of the immune system.18

Animal studies. In one study of guinea pigs (which, like humans, cannotmanufacture their own vitamin C), the antibody to a particular antigen responded fasterwhen the animals received vitamin C. Meanwhile, a study of chickens analyzed their abilityto withstand E. coli challenge infection by taking 330 mg of vitamin C. Only 19% of thesupplemented animals got the infection, while 76% of the unsupplemented control subjectswere infected.19

As an Antioxidant, How Does Vitamin C Help to Protect the Body?

Vitamin C protects the DNA of the cells from the damage caused by freeradicals and mutagens. As Gaby and Singh report, it prevents harmful genetic alterationswithin cells and protects lymphocytes from mutations to the chromosomes. Vitamin C may beespecially important in this day and age of widespread environmental pollution because itcombats the effects of many such toxins, including ozone, carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons,pesticides and heavy metals.

It appears that vitamin C fights off these pollutants by stimulating enzymes inthe liver that detoxify the body. In several studies, vitamin C reduced chromosomeabnormalities in workers exposed to pollutants such as coal tar, styrene, methylmethacrylate and halogenated ethers. Another way in which vitamin C protects us is bypreventing the development of nitrosamines, the cancer-causing chemicals that stem fromthe nitrates contained in many foods.20

Vitamin C prevents free radical damage in the lungs and may even help to protectthe central nervous system from such damage.21In a study of guinea pigs, an ascorbic acid pretreatment effectively diminished the acutelung damage caused by the introduction of superoxide anion free oxygen radicals to thetrachea.22 Ascorbic acid also wastested as an antioxidant to inflammatory reaction in mice. High doses given after but notbefore the injury successfully suppressed edema.23

As an antioxidant, vitamin C's primary role is to neutralize free radicals. Sinceascorbic acid is water soluble, it can work both inside and outside the cells to combatfree radical damage. As explained earlier, free radicals will seek out an electron toregain their stability. Vitamin C is an excellent source of electrons; therefore, it"can donate electrons to free radicals such as hydroxyl and superoxide radicals andquench their reactivity," states ne Bendich in "AntioxidantMicronutrients and Immune Responses".24

The versatile vitamin C also works along with glutathione peroxidase (a majorfree radical-fighting enzyme) to revitalize vitamin E, a fat-soluble antioxidant. Inaddition to its work as a direct scavenger of free radicals in fluids, then, vitamin Calso contributes to the antioxidant activity in the lipids.

How Much Vitamin C Is Needed for Antioxidant Activity?

Free radical pathology may occur when the body's antioxidant mechanismscannot keep pace with the rate at which free radicals and other oxidants are being formed.To supply the body with enough antioxidant power, R.F. Cathcart, a clinical practitionerwho has treated thousands of patients with vitamin C, believes each person should take thevitamin up to his or her "bowel tolerance" level. Simply put, this is the leveljust below the daily dosage that would cause you to have diarrhea.

As Dr. Bland reports in The Nutritional Effects of Free RadicalPathology, Cathcart believes that the more severe the toxicity from oxygen radicals,the more vitamin C one can tolerate. Therefore, your bowel tolerance level may be 10,000mg per day or more which should be taken in divided doses.25

Guest guest

Does it say to refrigerate it? I am not sure, but if in doubt, I would keep in the fridge. has the entire upper shelf in the door for her stuff. :-) Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group - Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic----- Original Message ----From: iammamapie <iammamapie@...>dstni ; ; "Einstein-Syndrome@..." <Einstein-Syndrome@...>Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:50:03 AMSubject: Vitamin C

Does any one know if the powdered vitamin C needs to be put in the refrigerator? ? I wanted to keep the shelf life and did not know if the Buffered kind needed to be in the Freg. I usually use the pills you crush. And was not sure if it made a difference. Thanks Hugs, Carol P. AIM iammamapie Giga iammamapie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

It does not say. It just say add to juice or water.Carol in IL <ps1272000@...> wrote: Does it say to refrigerate it? I am not sure, but if in doubt, I would keep in the fridge. has the entire upper shelf in the door for her stuff. :-) Carol in IL AIM doihavtasay1 GigaTribe doihavtasayMom to seven including , 7 with TOF, AVcanal, GERD, LS, Asthma, subglottal stenosis, and DS.My problem is not how I look. It's how you see me. Join our Down Syndrome information group -

Down Syndrome Treatment/ Listen to oldest dd's music http://www.myspace.com/vennamusic Vitamin C Does any one know if the powdered vitamin C needs to be put in the refrigerator? ? I wanted to keep the shelf life and did not know if the Buffered kind needed to be in the Freg. I usually use the pills you crush. And was not sure if it made a difference. Thanks Hugs, Carol P. AIM iammamapie Giga iammamapie Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Hugs, Carol P. AIM iammamapie Giga iammamapie

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Probably, no one knows for sure. I'm reading that the New Zealand Food

& Safety Authority has been testing some body-building supplements for

melamine. The results were encouraging:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/4717666a1861.html

NZ used " more sophisticated chromatographic analytical techniques, " to

test " 72 samples of .... baby milk formulas and found them all

melamine-free. Other products tested include dietary supplements such as

body- builders and geriatric formulas, sweets and components in animal

foods. "

Thank you for sending NOW an email inquiry. It's a shame that we must

worry about foods and health supplements. As far as I have read,

melamine has only been found hidden in wheat or corn gluten, milk

products, and rice protein concentrates. Because of it's nitrogen

content, melamine becomes hidden in protein products.

wrote:

>

> I just emailed 'NOW', the company brand of the vitamin C I'm presently

> using, asking them if it comes from China. Hopefully they'll reply

> soon.

>

> I know that a lot of the C we use here in the US comes from China.

> What do you think are the chances of melamine being mixed in the

> Vitamin C that we buy in our health food stores?

>

> Thanks in advance, your comments are much appreciated.

>

> Thanks,

> Jean

>

>

Guest guest

>

> Thank you for sending NOW an email inquiry. It's a shame that we

must

> worry about foods and health supplements. As far as I have read,

> melamine has only been found hidden in wheat or corn gluten, milk

> products, and rice protein concentrates. Because of it's nitrogen

> content, melamine becomes hidden in protein products.

>

>

>

Thanks Trish for your reply and information! NOW did email me today,

and their vitamin C is from China sources, although they assure high

quality standards in their products. Looks like I'll be looking for a

new brand that has a US source for my C, although nothing is 100% safe

nowadays :)

Jean

Guest guest

NOW is very reputable, and I'd be surprised if they didn't test their

supplements for this sort of thing, as well as heavy metals, but their

response will still be interesting.

You can buy Pharmaceutical grade ascorbic acid, which is what I am

using at the moment, although I will switch from this to somethiing

else soon because I doubt this is the best method to obtain enough

vitamin C (I aim for betwen 4 and 8 grams a day, split into 3 or 4

hourly doses).

On Sun, Oct 5, 2008 at 10:37 PM, <fjd2002@...> wrote:

> I just emailed 'NOW', the company brand of the vitamin C I'm presently

> using, asking them if it comes from China. Hopefully they'll reply

> soon.

>

> I know that a lot of the C we use here in the US comes from China.

> What do you think are the chances of melamine being mixed in the

> Vitamin C that we buy in our health food stores?

>

> Thanks in advance, your comments are much appreciated.

>

> Thanks,

> Jean

>

>

Guest guest

the only ones i could find containing sodium ascorbate are the tiny ones... by

hyland... they are hyland's vitamin c.  i get them at my health store.

Arianna Mojica-   (UCC 1-207/1-103) 

~~~ " All rights not demanded are presumed waived " . ~ Thurston

Vaccinations

Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 7:56:39 AM

Subject: vitamin C

I am trying to find a vitamin c for my 11 month old daughter. . I would like it

to not have calcium in it. I think Sherri recommended one way back but I can't

find the name of it...anyone know of a good one? Thanks, Christie

Guest guest

no prob.

i'll respond later more at length but the first thing i could think of that you

should try is raw/organic coconut oil as moisturizer... i use the same oil i

intake daily on my skin when i have issues or when kaelah has a red bottom.  it

works instantly.  i have very dry scalp too and dry skin in the winter.  you may

also be deficient in Vitamin D... make sure the supplements you are taking are

in their rawest form... not commercial vitamins.  go to the vitamin shop or

aylwarths to get the best quality.   I'll email more later.

Vaccinations

Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 9:56:03 AM

Subject: Re: vitamin C

Vaccinations

Guest guest

so sorry about this all... this was my mistake... i am still trying to get it

together this morning.

Vaccinations

Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 9:58:58 AM

no prob.

i'll respond later more at length but the first thing i could think of that you

should try is raw/organic coconut oil as moisturizer... i use the same oil i

intake daily on my skin when i have issues or when kaelah has a red bottom.  it

works instantly.  i have very dry scalp too and dry skin in the winter.  you may

also be deficient in Vitamin D... make sure the supplements you are taking are

in their rawest form... not commercial vitamins.  go to the vitamin shop or

aylwarths to get the best quality.   I'll email more later.

Vaccinations

Sent: Friday, February 6, 2009 9:56:03 AM

Vaccinations

Guest guest

I buy " Pure C Crystals " by Nature's Life at Whole Foods. It's pure

vitamin C in the form of Ascorbic Acid, there are no other

ingredients. It's what Sheri recommends - not the brand, but the fact

that it is 100% ascorbic acid. One teaspoon is 5000 mg vitamin C. I

just put a little pinch of the crystals in apple sauce or whatever

food my son is eating at breakfast. It's not that expensive, and I

use it for the whole family. Just look on the vitamin aisle and find

a crystal or powder that is pure vitamin C with no fillers. Even

Nature's Life puts out others that have more ingredients in them, so

you have to check the lables closely.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM, <ccomunal@...> wrote:

> I am trying to find a vitamin c for my 11 month old daughter. . I would like

> it to not have calcium in it. I think Sherri recommended one way back but I

> can't find the name of it...anyone know of a good one? Thanks, Christie

Guest guest

Bronson Labs makes a good Vit. C. It is GMO-free, bufferred & I believe no corn

in it as well. Jenn L

Re: vitamin C

I buy " Pure C Crystals " by Nature's Life at Whole Foods. It's pure

vitamin C in the form of Ascorbic Acid, there are no other

ingredients. It's what Sheri recommends - not the brand, but the fact

that it is 100% ascorbic acid. One teaspoon is 5000 mg vitamin C. I

just put a little pinch of the crystals in apple sauce or whatever

food my son is eating at breakfast. It's not that expensive, and I

use it for the whole family. Just look on the vitamin aisle and find

a crystal or powder that is pure vitamin C with no fillers. Even

Nature's Life puts out others that have more ingredients in them, so

you have to check the lables closely.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 5:56 AM, <ccomunal@...> wrote:

> I am trying to find a vitamin c for my 11 month old daughter. . I would like

> it to not have calcium in it. I think Sherri recommended one way back but I

> can't find the name of it...anyone know of a good one? Thanks, Christie

Guest guest

Coconut oil in the tub or calendula oil is great in the tub too. helps with

exzema by moisturizing well. Also, when you get out of the tub- not using

hot water to wash away natural skin oils- blot dry don't rub. Zinc is HUGE

in helping all allergic, exzema & dry skin conditions. Not all zinc is

easily absorbed though. a really good one to use would be Vitabase

L-Optizinc. Small amts., maybe 2.5mg only almost everyday to start with for

a few months. & you always have to balance out your vits & minerals so more

than zinc is probably needed. Jenn L

vitamin C

I am trying to find a vitamin c for my 11 month old daughter. . I would like

it to not have calcium in it. I think Sherri recommended one way back but I

can't find the name of it...anyone know of a good one? Thanks, Christie

Guest guest

ccomunal@... wrote:

>I am trying to find a vitamin c for my 11 month old daughter. . I would like it

find the name of it...

>

Sodium Ascorbate powder from Bronson Labs, I believe.

Bobbett

Guest guest

I am currently taking Alive Vitamin C by Nature's Way. It's 100% whole

food complex: its only ingredients are organic fruit (acerola, goji,

kiwi and amla) and manioc root (tapioca). It's very good-tasting - if

you take it in juice, you won't even know you're taking it !

Magda

Guest guest

Is there something problematic with adding Calcium to vitamin C? What about

Calcium Ascorbate from Solgar? I think it just has Ascorbic Acid buffered

with Calcium and nothing else.

I'm also wondering: is it possible that the pure Ascorbic Acid might be

difficult for a young tummy to digest?

Guest guest

calcium supplements are tough as they may contain lead. my daughter came up an 8

on her lead level and the first thing my dan doctor asked was about the

supplements. i use to use bronson's ascorbic acid and she did just fine. she was

about 8 months old at the time.

Vaccinations

> Is there something problematic with adding Calcium to vitamin C?

> What about

> Calcium Ascorbate from Solgar? I think it just has Ascorbic

> Acid buffered

> with Calcium and nothing else.

>

> I'm also wondering: is it possible that the pure Ascorbic Acid

> might be

> difficult for a young tummy to digest?

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Bufferred Vit. C is good for young tummies too. How young though? Are you able

to get more foods in with Vit.C in them? I don't think taking calcium & Vit.C

together is a problem but I can check it out. I have to worry about ph &

absorbtion mixing the 2. But like I said it may not be a problem. What is the

exact brand & form of the calcium? I really dislike calcium supplementation.

Buying them all wrapped up into 1 is a problem when there isn't enough info. on

the bottle as to the sources. Jenn L

Is there something problematic with adding Calcium to vitamin C? What about

Calcium Ascorbate from Solgar? I think it just has Ascorbic Acid buffered

with Calcium and nothing else.

I'm also wondering: is it possible that the pure Ascorbic Acid might be

difficult for a young tummy to digest?

Guest guest

Just curious.....

What was the extra vitamin supplement? How much? Was this in addition to a

daily vitamin?

Guest guest

Just curious.....

What was the extra vitamin supplement? How much? Was this in addition to a

daily vitamin?

Guest guest

Hi.

We give a multi vitamin that has vitamin c (30 mg)in it every morning. Since

mid Feb. 09 I've added vitamin c supplements - typically four (60 mg each) a day

- two in the morning with the multi and two at night with dinner. A few nights

we forgot the evening supplements. Again, I don't know if the vitamin c is

related to the more mild episodes or not but I'm sure not willing to try to stop

it to see. We have our T & A scheduled for Friday.

Guest guest

Hi.

We give a multi vitamin that has vitamin c (30 mg)in it every morning. Since

mid Feb. 09 I've added vitamin c supplements - typically four (60 mg each) a day

- two in the morning with the multi and two at night with dinner. A few nights

we forgot the evening supplements. Again, I don't know if the vitamin c is

related to the more mild episodes or not but I'm sure not willing to try to stop

it to see. We have our T & A scheduled for Friday.

Guest guest

check in the Alternative group. It vitamin C in a very high dose. I use a

high dose on myself when I am sick but not daily. They suggest 1000mg + daily

check the other group for proper dosage.

Hi this is Fran.... PLEASE use the Alternative group to discuss

homeopathic remedies as well as holistic doctor approaches. It is helpful to

keep this site geared toward accepted medical treatments and palliative

treatments with research information. ANd it allows members to join the other

group and discuss the other approaches...

Thanks

THeir site is in our files and if you received a welcome letter it is there too.

Fran

Guest guest

check in the Alternative group. It vitamin C in a very high dose. I use a

high dose on myself when I am sick but not daily. They suggest 1000mg + daily

check the other group for proper dosage.

Hi this is Fran.... PLEASE use the Alternative group to discuss

homeopathic remedies as well as holistic doctor approaches. It is helpful to

keep this site geared toward accepted medical treatments and palliative

treatments with research information. ANd it allows members to join the other

group and discuss the other approaches...

Thanks

THeir site is in our files and if you received a welcome letter it is there too.

Fran

Guest guest

We give 3500 mg of Vit C each day. 1000mg per year of age.  Since we started the

Vit C his episodes are shorter, the fever is not so high and we have skipped

some all together.  So far this month he has gained 12 healthy days.  Thank You

Jesus!  He did however have the " usual " symptoms right on schedule for 2 days

but no fever!  And no mouth ulcers!

I am really interested in this lack of the L-Tyrosine enzyme.......researching

now.

's Mommy