> I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started

> out the usual way as

> a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed

> at age 25, but

> after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it

> out, went on for

> 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both

> ears. So the tubes

> were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs!

> This went on till

> this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left

> drum, so sent me to

> barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had

> mastoidectomy and the bones

> removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space

> open. Yes all the

> pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area

> stay painfully numb,

> 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses?

> The frame makes

> the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit.

> Btw im 2 months

> post op. and will have more questions to come….bill

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi all,

It's been a while after my third surgery and reconstruction of bones. I have two ear holes in my right ear drum and don't still hear well from that year. It's been around 21/2 years. I always have a sort of ringing in my ear which my dr said is just I have to live with.

I never fully understood why it eardrum has holes and it never healed completely. I don't feel good whenever I think about it. Is there anyone who had reconstruction and had got their hearing back.

Your replies are appreciated.

Datta Koshti.

From: robert powell <robert_powell82@...>Reply-cholesteatoma To: cholesteatoma Subject: Re: newbieDate: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:16:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Bill,

I had a huge crater behind my ear too. This slowly smoothed out as the scar healed and the skin returned to the right shape. I try to get glasses that have a small armature. An adjustment of the frames might be in order at the local opthamologist.

The numbness will go away in time too. I still feel it numbing sometimes if I rub it when showering or wear a tight fitting ballcap. Bring on the questions because we can help you!

billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote:

HI ALLI'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual way as a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on for 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the tubes were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on till this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent me to barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the bones removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes all the pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully numb, 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame makes the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 months post op. and will have more questions to come….bill

Guest guest

The burning sensation, hmmm. Could be that is just the thinness of the skin and it needs to toughen and thicken up a bit. Skin can grow pretty slow. I don't think you need Oakleys. Once the skin heals behind the ear the annoyance will go away and regular frames are fine. The crater was within the scar line, it still goes in near the base where the ear attaches but nothing to freak about. You want a pic after my last surgery? I can then show you a current one. I have had my ear off 2X at least. billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote: hi shawnis your crater on the scar line? mine is above it. the eye doc suggested only buying okley cuz of the ear frames go far behind the ear on the head kinda. but gee they are 300.00 just for the frames. oh well knock off's are ok. what about the burning sensation above the ear? normal....more to comebill> HI ALL> I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual way as > a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but > after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on for > 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the tubes > were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on till > this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent me to > barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the bones > removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes all the > pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully numb, > 2 am I the only one having problem wearing

glasses? The frame makes > the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 months > post op. and will have more questions to come….bill> > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Guest guest

yes please i would like to see. my crater tho is bove the scar, the

doc did say he could put a inplant in if i could'nt adjust to

it....bill

> > HI ALL

> > I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual

> way as

> > a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25,

but

> > after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on

> for

> > 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the

> tubes

> > were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on

> till

> > this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent

me

> to

> > barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the

> bones

> > removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes

all

> the

> > pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully

> numb,

> > 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame

> makes

> > the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2

> months

> > post op. and will have more questions to come….bill

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > __________________________________________________

> >

Guest guest

Ok, the first pic is the cholesteatoma that they took out (jpg format). Doc said it was the largest one he's done. The second pic is the crater in my head (adobe format). Now it is totally smooth and flat. billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote: yes please i would like to see. my crater tho is bove the scar, the doc did say he could put a inplant in if i could'nt adjust to it....bill> > HI ALL> > I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear

probs, I started out the usual > way as > > a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but > > after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on > for > > 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the > tubes > > were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on > till > > this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent me > to > > barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the > bones > > removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes all > the > > pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully > numb, > > 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame > makes > > the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 > months > > post

op. and will have more questions to come….bill> > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________> >

Guest guest

Well, I wouldn't accept the fact of the eardrum not healing all the way, no reason why it shouldn't be fixable. The ringing in my ear agrees with you, it is something to live with. There is one doc out there that believes you can retrain your brain to accept the frequency of the ringing as an acceptable noise and then it will go away. It isn't masking, it is reconditioning. I dunno.... I have had reconstruction 2 X. The first time it was great. The second time it was not. Datta Koshti <dattakoshti@...> wrote: Hi all, It's been a while after my third surgery and reconstruction of bones. I have two ear holes in my right ear drum and don't still hear well from that year. It's been around 21/2 years. I always have a sort of ringing in my ear which my dr said is just I have to live with. I never fully understood why it eardrum has holes and it never healed completely. I don't feel good whenever I think about it. Is there anyone who had reconstruction and had got their hearing back. Your replies are appreciated. Datta Koshti. From: robert powell <robert_powell82@...>Reply-cholesteatoma To: cholesteatoma Subject: Re:

newbieDate: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:16:05 -0700 (PDT) Hi Bill, I had a huge crater behind my ear too. This slowly smoothed out as the scar healed and the skin returned to the right shape. I try to get glasses that have a small armature. An adjustment of the frames might be in order at the local opthamologist. The numbness will go away in time too. I still feel it numbing sometimes if I rub it when showering or wear a tight fitting ballcap. Bring on the questions because we can help you! billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote: HI ALLI'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual way as a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but after they

opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on for 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the tubes were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on till this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent me to barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the bones removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes all the pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully numb, 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame makes the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 months post op. and will have more questions to come….bill __________________________________________________

Guest guest

i can't seem to view the pics, is it something on my pc?...bill---

In cholesteatoma , robert powell

<robert_powell82@...> wrote:

>

> Ok, the first pic is the cholesteatoma that they took out (jpg

format). Doc said it was the largest one he's done. The second pic

is the crater in my head (adobe format). Now it is totally smooth

and flat.

>

>

>

> billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote:

> yes please i would like to see. my crater tho is bove

the scar, the

> doc did say he could put a inplant in if i could'nt adjust to

> it....bill

>

>

> > > HI ALL

> > > I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the

usual

> > way as

> > > a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25,

> but

> > > after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went

on

> > for

> > > 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the

> > tubes

> > > were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on

> > till

> > > this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so

sent

> me

> > to

> > > barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and

the

> > bones

> > > removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes

> all

> > the

> > > pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay

painfully

> > numb,

> > > 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame

> > makes

> > > the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2

> > months

> > > post op. and will have more questions to come….bill

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > __________________________________________________

> > >

Guest guest

you can't view either pic? I do have my photos listed in the cholesteatoma web page under . Try there or let me know if I can send them a different way. billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote: i can't seem to view the pics, is it something on my pc?...bill> > > HI ALL> > > I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual > > way as > > > a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, > but > > > after they opened the drum, they just suctioned

it out, went on > > for > > > 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the > > tubes > > > were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on > > till > > > this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent > me > > to > > > barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the > > bones > > > removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes > all > > the > > > pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully > > numb, > > > 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame > > makes > > > the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 > > months > > > post op. and will have more questions to come….bill> > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________> > >

• 3 months later...

>

> Glenda, if you need your husband to talk to mine go right ahead,

my husband

> went with me and the hospital is the cleanest hospital I have ever

been in, the

> equipment is state of the art and the doctor is rated one of the

number one

> doctors in Mexico, did you know that most US doctors went to

Mexico to get

> their training for the lap band, yes, Mexico doctors have been

doing this surgery

> longer then US so why waste another 6 or 7 grand having it done

here when you

> can go there and get excellent care.

>

> I was banded on Juen 24 I am 4 weeks post op today and doing

great.

>

> If you want to talk or have me talk to your husband call anytime,

> 817-441-5211 or 817-692-0346

>

> Tracie B. in Texas

>

Hey, Tracie! Where are you in Texas? From your area code, you

can't be far...I'm in Ft. Worth!

Hello : Everyone on this site has done the same thing. I dont think this is a fad like all the other things we have tried. I was banded on June 9th and have lost 64lbs. I look at this as a new life style. I try not to think about it as loseing wait only, but about being able to eat more "healthy portions" of all foods so that I can be more "normal". The band restricts the volume of food you can eat not the types of food you can eat. This is a lifetime thing and we must all learn to eat normal portions of healthy food as the norm, however, less healthy food can still be enjoyed on occasion only in healthier portions. I will eat anything that strikes me, but, I will eat a small portion, that way I dont feel like I'm missing out on something. Life is to long and food can and should be a pleasurable thing. I am very glad I have my band and recomend it to anyone in our shoes. It has

become apperent to me that with the longer state of fullness that the band provides, a reasonable amount of self control when selecting foods, and a little excersize we will ALL lose a lot of weight (some faster than others; patience is a virtue). And for those with the dedication and the fortitude to push it to the next level a close proximity to an ideal weight can be obtained and maintained thanks to the assistance provided by the band. Good Luck Ken kareninfortworth <kareninfortworth@...> wrote: Hello, everyone............I am looking into getting banded in the next month or so with Dr A. I at first was concerned about going to Mexico to have a surgery but it seems that the Dr's in Mexico train the Dr's in the US. Now I am only just wanting the specifics of what to expect. My daughter is concerned that like every diet I have ever tried that I will get bored and frustrated and want it taken out. I have over my many years of being overweight tried everything pills, diets, liquid diets, patchs, exercise and yes I would lose 30 to 40 lbs and then gain it back plus more, more. She is afraid that I will be frustrated by the lack of food that I can eat. Does anyone know of the success rate of people staying on this product? She is just concern that I will spend this kind of money and not use it to its potential? Anything you can share

with me I would really appreciate.Thanks,

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Small Business.

Hi , If you get the band and have the proper fills then you will be using the band to it's full potential. Once you have restriction, you are able to eat less and be satisfied with less. Your cravings decrease over time (head hunger) and it becomes easier to turn away from snacking ect.. If you don't get the band filled when needed than that would be "not using it to it's full potential". Good luck with your decision..:) Dana

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "kareninfortworth" <kareninfortworth@...>

Hello, everyone............I am looking into getting banded in the next month or so with Dr A. I at first was concerned about going to Mexico to have a surgery but it seems that the Dr's in Mexico train the Dr's in the US. Now I am only just wanting the specifics of what to expect. My daughter is concerned that like every diet I have ever tried that I will get bored and frustrated and want it taken out. I have over my many years of being overweight tried everything pills, diets, liquid diets, patchs, exercise and yes I would lose 30 to 40 lbs and then gain it back plus more, more. She is afraid that I will be frustrated by the lack of food that I can eat. Does anyone know of the success rate of people staying on this product? She is just concern that I will spend this kind of money and not use it to its potential? Anything you can share with me I would really appreciate.Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Hi Deb – First – you will have

to make up your own mind, and all the reading you do is going to help you

decide. I thought Mexico

was the “pits” for health care until I read everyone’s

messages on this group about how clean the hospital is, how well the patients

are cared for. I had the surgery done on 9/22/06, and I don’t regret

it. It took less than 30 minutes, the staff was very caring, and I went

home the next day (I drove – those flying stay 2 nights). Most of

the staff speak English – at least enough to understand. And yes,

you can gain weight or the band can slip if you abuse it. If you eat more

calories than you expend each day, you will gain. The band is a tool, but

if you use the tool correctly, it will help you to lose weight. I also

did not want a by-pass – too radical of surgery for me.

Also, you are not older than some of us –

I am 59 and was concerned about my age – not to worry. Before I

went to Mexico,

I could not stand for more than a few minutes, or walk for more than a few

yards without my back hurting, being winded, etc. Now I can stand for

however long, I walk for half an hour each day (sometimes longer), and I don’t

get back aches or feel winded. Also, my knees used to “hurt”

when I would get up – but now they don’t. I can move more easily

than I could less than 2 months ago. I’ve only lost about 25 lbs

(pretty good for less than 2 months), but I can feel the improvement in my

health already. I can’t wait to see what I can do when I loose 50

or 60 lbs.

Hope this helps, and continue reading

about the band – it’s a decision I’m sure you won’t

regret.

From another “old lady”

Rhonda

Sent: Thursday, November 09, 2006

1:04 PM

Subject:

HI Everyone,,,,,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but

things I am starting

to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a

bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?

Going to Mexico?

I have several friends here in Colorado

who have had a

bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set against

a bypass,,,,,,I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no

ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery

and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are

shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight

I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do

much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a

difference? Any advice for this old lady?

Soon to be 53

Deb

Deb, Deb, Deb....welcome to our little banded family here! If the horror stories you are hearing are from non-banded people, ignore them. They speak out of ignorance. I have heard several people say they knew someone who knew someone who had the lapband and that it didn't work for them. When it gets right down to it, those are usually the people who don't get fills or don't eat the way they should with their bands. Gastric bypass was not an option for me either. I have known several people who chose this option and only one of them has kept their weight off for longer than 3 years. Plus, I know 2 people who have died from having this surgery done. One was pretty soon after the procedure but one was 2 years later...she died of malnutrition. The one who has maintained her weight does look good and she works hard to stay where she is. Mexico? We all

had those same thoughts. Why would we consider going somewhere for surgery where we wouldn't even drink the water? Crazy? Insane? Actually, it was my only option. I have great medical insurance but it does not cover this surgery for some isane reason. I had to put my trust in the hands of this Mexican doctor and pray for the best. Now I know that the only people who would dare say anything negative about the medical care we received in Mexicali, at Almater, from Dr. Aceves and his staff are the people who are, again, speaking out of ignorance. They don't know what they are talking about. They aren't the people you need to be listening to at all. Now, let me tell you about my arthritis. I was on a regimen of various arthritis medications for about 6 years. I took 2 each morning and 3 at night. I had a wonderful rhumatologist who was able to help me live as normal of a life

as possible in spite of having painful arthritis in my hips, elbows, hands, and neck. I also suffered from fibromyalgia but I was on some pretty strong pain management medications for that as well. I took my last dosage of medication the day before my surgery. I have been on no medication since that time. Not for arthritis, fibromyalgia, OR for diabetes. I am completely medication free! As of August, I am no longer considered diabetic. Sure, I still have arthritis and fibromyalgia but I am no longer living in pain. Yeah, my hips hurt a little from crossing my legs now but the mere fact that I can cross my legs is an incredible feat in itself. Sometimes my elbows hurt but maybe it is from being so much more active than I've ever been in my life. Nothing a little heat and massage doesn't help. But, NO MEDICATION! THAT has to be the best part of this entire weight loss journey that I embarked upon last

February. What a whirlwind of 8 months I have had! I would have never thought I would be where I am today and no one could have ever convinced me of such. I am living proof that the band works. There are many, many people on this message board who are living proof. When I look in the mirror every day and I see my reflection, I am proof. When I go to the store and buy pants that are 7 or 8 sizes smaller than what I used to wear in February, I am proof. When I walk 4 miles today, I am proof that it works. When I step on the scale and I now weigh 80 pounds less than what I did 8 months ago, I am proof that it works. The lapband is a tool. It is not a cure. But, I am living proof that the lapband works. Don't let others coerce you into believing what they "think" about the lapband. Talk to people on here and get the truth. Look at

pictures of people. Listen to people. The lapband has changed my life and I'm here to tell you that... LIFE IS GREAT! Jenni Currie DOB 2/23/06 231/151/145xsoftsense13 <Xsoftsense@...> wrote: HI Everyone,,,,,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts? Going to Mexico? I have

several friends here in Colorado who have had a bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set against a bypass,,,,,,I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a difference? Any advice for this old lady?Soon to be 53Deb

Everyone is raving about the all-new beta.

You are not too old (I'm 56) and you are on the right track with LB rather

than BP! Go for it!

C

Tampa FL

>From: " xsoftsense13 " <Xsoftsense@...>

>Reply-

>

>Subject: newbie

>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000

>

>HI Everyone,,,,,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting

>to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a

>bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?

>Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have had a

>bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set against

>a bypass,,,,,,I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no

>ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery

>and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are

>shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight

>I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do

>much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a

>difference? Any advice for this old lady?

>

>Soon to be 53

>Deb

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hee, Hee....I will call you both kids...I am 61....I

am also not able to exercise like most of the other

bandsters. My weight lose is also much slower, but I

am still happy that I went with the Lapband. I feel

that it is healthier this way. I have only lost about

30 lbs, but I feel so much better. I am planning on

getting into a club with water exercises. This is sooo

much better for the bad knees.

Keep reading all of the posts. You will only hear

great reports about this hospital, staff and doctor.

Don't let people that don't know, try to change your

mind. Any of us will be happy to help answer your

questions. You have to be comfortable with your

decision.

B.

--- <ldccox@...> wrote:

> You are not too old (I'm 56) and you are on the

> right track with LB rather

> than BP! Go for it!

> C

> Tampa FL

>

>

> >From: " xsoftsense13 " <Xsoftsense@...>

> >Reply-

> >

> >Subject: newbie

> >Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000

> >

> >HI Everyone,,,,,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but

> things I am starting

> >to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght

> then go on to a

> >bypass or the band slips or this happens or that

> happens, are you nuts?

> >Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in

> Colorado who have had a

> >bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I

> am dead set against

> >a bypass,,,,,,I like my innerds the way they are

> thank-you. And with no

> >ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6

> months out from surgery

> >and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me

> as my knees are

> >shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope

> is as I lose weight

> >I will slowly be able to do some but to start with

> I know I cant do

> >much. I am probably older than a lot of you

> too,,,,will that make a

> >difference? Any advice for this old lady?

> >

> >Soon to be 53

> >Deb

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

What has to be done if your band slips? Is more surgery the only option?

Ally

[Dr-Aceves-bandster s] newbie>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000>>HI Everyone,,,, ,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting>to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a>bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?>Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have had a>bypass and cant seem to understand my

resistance. I am dead set against>a bypass,,,,,, I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no>ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery>and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are>shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight>I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do>much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a>difference? Any advice for this old lady?>>Soon to be 53>Deb>>>>>>>

Hi Ally, From what I've heard on this site, if your band slips they will take all the water out of the band and HOPE this corrects the problem. If that doesn't work than they will have to do surgery to correct the slippage. I'm sure Nina could give you greater details if you would like to e-mail her.:-) Dana

--------- [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] newbie>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000>>HI Everyone,,,, ,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting>to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a>bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?>Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have had a>bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set against>a bypass,,,,,, I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no>ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery>and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are>shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight>I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do>much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a>difference? Any advice for this old lady?>>Soon to be 53>Deb>>>>>>>

Ally, Dana is correct, when the slippage is taken care of in a timely manner the first thing to do id to unfill the band completely and the doctor asks you to remain on liquids for a while. This often times fixes the problem. if it doesn't then surgery is needed. Every single patient that has had a slippage is from vomiting daily, if you are overfilled or vomit daily from eating too much or too fast you are at risk. Patients always know something is wrong and choose not to fix it because they are losing weight most of the time. it is understandable but it is not worth it. Just know that you are supposed to be able to eat without vomiting. That it happens a few times is not the problem is the constant vomiting that is a problem. You can prevent it and should prevent it. The % of slippages are low, very low around 1% so just be careful, knowing what

can happen will help you prevent problems. Ninarondana@... wrote: Hi Ally, From what I've heard on this site, if your band slips they will take all the water out of the band and HOPE this corrects the problem. If that doesn't work than they will have to do surgery to correct the slippage. I'm sure Nina could give you greater details if you would like to e-mail her.:-) Dana -------------- Original

message -------------- From: Alli Dye <allygator1963 > What has to be done if your band slips? Is more surgery the only option? Ally [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] newbie>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000>>HI Everyone,,,, ,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting>to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a>bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?>Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have had a>bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set

against>a bypass,,,,,, I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no>ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery>and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are>shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight>I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do>much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a>difference? Any advice for this old lady?>>Soon to be 53>Deb>>>>>>>

Gotcha! Thanks - I feel better then.

[Dr-Aceves-bandster s] newbie>Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000>>HI Everyone,,,, ,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am starting>to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a>bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you nuts?>Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have had a>bypass and cant seem to understand my

resistance. I am dead set against>a bypass,,,,,, I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And with no>ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from surgery>and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees are>shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose weight>I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant do>much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make a>difference? Any advice for this old lady?>>Soon to be 53>Deb>>>>>>>

Ally,

My mom was banded with me October 2nd and she is 72 years old.

Other than being overweight, she had no outstanding health issues so

the suregery was a breeze. In fact, Dr. Aceves fixed a hiatel

hernia that she didn't no she had so she is actually feeling better

(no heatburn) and food pain issues anymore.

Don't know what the rate of bands slipping is but I think it would

take so very careless eating or so fluke of surgery. Dr. Aceves'

surgical skills certainly won't be the cause. He's great.

I vote band...obviously...but then I like my innards the way they

are too.

Jane

>

> What has to be done if your band slips? Is more surgery the only

option?

>

> Ally

>

>

> [Dr-Aceves-bandster s] newbie

> >Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:03:43 -0000

> >

> >HI Everyone,,,, ,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am

starting

> >to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a

> >bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you

nuts?

> >Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have

had a

> >bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set

against

> >a bypass,,,,,, I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And

with no

> >ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from

surgery

> >and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees

are

> >shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose

weight

> >I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant

do

> >much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make

a

> >difference? Any advice for this old lady?

> >

> >Soon to be 53

> >Deb

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Hi Deb

Where in Colorado are you from? I live in Walden (North Park) Just

east over the mountain from Steamboat Springs. I am 67 years old

and was banded September 26, 2005. I have lost 73 lbs and have

about 22 lbs more to go to meet my goal. I can tell you that this

was the best thing I ever did for myself and wish I had done it many

years ago. My feet, knees and joints hurt severely and I could

barely climb stairs at all. Within a month or less of my banding I

had no pain in my back, feet or knees! I can run up and down stairs

and have lots of energy. All summer I walked 3 miles up and down

ridges every day.

Don't worry about the small things. There are some great fill Drs.

in Colorado and they aren't that expensive either. I go to a Dr. in

sbluff, NE because my son lives near there and he is really

inexpensive and a great guy! If you follow the Dr orders you will

not have your band slip. Going to Mexico for the surgery was a

smart move--it was like going to a spa! The Dr and his staff are

excellent and well qualified to do this surgery, the hospital is

clean and everyone there is like family. Many of us talk about the

problems with this surgery but I have relatives who have had the by

pass that have waaaay more problems and 2 of them have nearly bled

to death from complications years after the surgery! This can not

happen with lapband surgery.

Keep reading the posts(especially the NSVs) to get motivated and to

get your questions answered. Also check out 's journey on her

websight tracyslapband.com to get some more info.

Best wishes on your decision and I hope you will join us on your

lapband journey!

Penny from Colorado

>

> HI Everyone,,,,,,,,,,I am debating a lapband but things I am

starting

> to hear scare me. I hear some actually gain wieght then go on to a

> bypass or the band slips or this happens or that happens, are you

nuts?

> Going to Mexico? I have several friends here in Colorado who have

had a

> bypass and cant seem to understand my resistance. I am dead set

against

> a bypass,,,,,,I like my innerds the way they are thank-you. And

with no

> ins I cant afford surgery here. I am still 3-6 months out from

surgery

> and reading like a fiend!!! Excerise is hard for me as my knees

are

> shot <arthritis> neck and shoulder too,,,,,,my hope is as I lose

weight

> I will slowly be able to do some but to start with I know I cant

do

> much. I am probably older than a lot of you too,,,,will that make

a

> difference? Any advice for this old lady?

>

> Soon to be 53

> Deb

>

• 2 months later...

>

> Hey everybody!

>

> My namd is and I'm new to the site. I just recently started

> to research weight loss surgery options and Nina referred me to

this

> site. Now that I have read the brochure about the surgery and life

> post-op that Nina sent me, I'm completely terrified! LOL!

>

> I'm curious to know more about:

>

> 1) Ongoing maintenance - how often on average do you need a fill or

> follow up visit? I live in Texas and imagine that flights back and

> forth from TX to San Diego, renting a car, etc could get very

costly

> if you have to do it often.

>

> 2) Using domestic doctors for fills, etc - how successful have you

> guys been in finding a good doctor state-side that knows what the

> heck they are doing. And, how willing are they to treat you if you

> have had the surgery elsewhere?

>

> 3) Adverse reactions/events - literature says that 88% of patients

> in a US clinical study had adverse reactions or events and that a

> good number of these required additional surgery. Has anyone here

> had problems like that?

>

> Anyway, this looks like a great site with incredibly supportive

> people, which is a nice change from my friends and family who now

> think I'm crazy for even considering this surgery.

>

> Hope to hear from some of you soon and thanks!

>

>

>

Hi , I had my surgery last November - and I am doing fine! I

have lost 18 pounds - and had no adverse effects - I have heard of no

one so far who has needed any additional surgery - and I too live in

Texas - and have found a wonderful fill Dr in , Texas - my first

fill experience was awesome - and it only costs $200.00 (she only

takes cash - and that is a good price comparitively speaking) - I

live in Houston and she is about an hour from me - don't know how far

she would be for you - her name is Dr Eijsink. I am pleased with my

band - it is starting to kick in now and help me lose weight - the

best thing about the band, is that it will always keep you from over

eating, and it does reduce your hunger significantly - I am rarely

hungry - and my views of food have drastically changed!! Food is not

that important to me anymore - I don't use it as a " drug " like I used

to. We all battle with food addictions and food issues here, but the

band helps you to face those, and in many cases, overcome them. Some

issues take longer than others, but the band really helps. I

considered this surgery for 3 years before I did it, but I am

thrilled that I did it, except for slow wt loss, I haven't a single

negitive thing to say about the whole experience - the slow wt loss

may be my body adjusting to this big change as well. Good luck to you

and don't be terrified, this is an awesome tool to help you lose wt.

I am sure you will get many responses from this wonderful bandy

family, because everyone seems to be pleased with their bands here,

and is willing to help you out in making your decision.

take care ,

Lori

dob 11/10/06 (date of band)

249/231/125 (wt on surgery day, current wt, goal wt)

:)

Hi , What part of Texas are you from? I live in Ark., but I'm only 45 mintues from Texas...Only 3-1/2 hours from Dallas, 7 hours from Houston... I'll answer your questions out beside the questions...just scroll down...lauratexas668 <laura.trumble@...> wrote: Hey everybody!My namd is and I'm new to the site. I just recently started to research weight loss surgery options and Nina referred me to this site. Now that I

have read the brochure about the surgery and life post-op that Nina sent me, I'm completely terrified! LOL! I'm curious to know more about:1) Ongoing maintenance - how often on average do you need a fill or follow up visit? I live in Texas and imagine that flights back and forth from TX to San Diego, renting a car, etc could get very costly if you have to do it often. I got my 1st fill 8 weeks after surgery. 5 weeks later I got my 2nd fill...It may take a few fills to get to the sweet spot...I feel I am there now and may not need another fill...This is my 3rd fill...2) Using domestic doctors for fills, etc - how successful have you guys been in finding a good doctor state-side that knows what the heck they are doing. And, how willing are they to treat you if you have had the surgery elsewhere? I found a very nice and good Dr. in Sheverport...Dr. ...His fee is $190.00

w/out fluoro plus his office visit, he will file the office visit on your insurance...So I'm only out the 190.00...3) Adverse reactions/events - literature says that 88% of patients in a US clinical study had adverse reactions or events and that a good number of these required additional surgery. Has anyone here had problems like that? I've read of only two on this site and it was no fault of their own but was the fault of the doctor. Be sure the doctor only pokes you once with the same needle and not multiply times...If they do you may be at risk for infection...Anyway, this looks like a great site with incredibly supportive people, which is a nice change from my friends and family who now think I'm crazy for even considering this surgery. This is a great site with many great ladies and gentlemen, and they all are willing to help you with any questions you may have...A lot of us

had to endure a lot from our families & friends too, but they soon were eating their words as they watched us lose these unwanted pounds...Good luck! I can't close without saying you won't find a better Doctor than DR. Aceves nor a better hospital...I promise you that! ~Rena, I was banded 9/26/06, I was 204 lbs/I'm now 170, my goal 140...Hope to hear from some of you soon and thanks! Rena Brown DOB: 9/26/06 204/170/140

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Beta.

Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007

5:48 AM

Subject:

Hey everybody!

My namd is and I'm new to the site. I just recently started

to research weight loss surgery options and Nina referred me to this

site. Now that I have read the brochure about the surgery and life

post-op that Nina sent me, I'm completely terrified! LOL!

I'm curious to know more about:

1) Ongoing maintenance - how often on average do you need a fill or

follow up visit? I live in Texas and imagine

that flights back and

forth from TX to San Diego,

renting a car, etc could get very costly

if you have to do it often.[Rhonda Olsen] I was banded in Sept ’06 and had

one fill (.9cc) in Dec. So far, that is good for me as I can’t eat very

much at any meal. I don’t know about the expense, as I live in Southern

Calif. And I drive down to get the fills there. TX isn’t that much

farther, you might want to think about driving there – it may be cheaper

in the long run.

2) Using domestic doctors for fills, etc - how successful have you

guys been in finding a good doctor state-side that knows what the

heck they are doing. And, how willing are they to treat you if you

have had the surgery elsewhere?[Rhonda Olsen] Don’t know about this as I go back

to Dr. A and his staff – a fill there only costs about $80.00.

3) Adverse reactions/events - literature says that 88% of patients

in a US

clinical study had adverse reactions or events and that a

good number of these required additional surgery. Has anyone here

had problems like that?[Rhonda Olsen] I’d

like to see that report – what do they mean by “adverse reactions”.

I had NO reactions – other than shoulder pain (minor) for about 2 weeks.

I have not even opened the liquid Tylenol they give you when you leave the

hospital. If the report means shoulder pain, oozing incisions, sickness from

the anesthetic, then it is probably 88% - if you read the posts from this list,

you will see a lot of patients have those reactions. I would think this is

just part of the surgery and not anything to be overly concerned about. You

should read ’s

journal if you haven’t already. I read that before I decided on this

surgery, and after reading her reactions after the surgery, I thought –

if I had that bad of reaction, then I could stand this surgery. Well, I had no

sickness after the procedure, and I felt great when I came home (other than a

little tired).

Anyway, this looks like a great site with incredibly supportive

people, which is a nice change from my friends and family who now

think I'm crazy for even considering this surgery.[Rhonda Olsen] You have

to do this for YOU – and people that are uninformed will try to

discourage you. I was fortunate that my family supported my decision.

However, I did not tell my friends what I was doing, and I still have not told

most of them. I may if they ask me how I’m loosing the weight.

I hope this helps you and good luck on your decision. You can’t go

wrong with Dr. A. in Mexicali.

Rhonda

Hi and welcome. I am one of the "older" members on this board but that has nothing to do with my age! lol I had my band placed almost one year ago. Let me see if I can answer a few of your questions. 1. Fills are a very individual thing. Some people need several before they feel comfortable and some need very few. I had my first fill 10 weeks after my surgery. I had my 2 fill 5 months after my first one. My third fill was necessary because, after my 2nd fill, I had to have my band unfilled completely due to a minor little incident. I don't know if I will get another fill but perhaps. I would plan on going back to Mexico for your aftercare so you may want to save the money in order to do that. The cost would be the cost of a flight and the cost of the flouroscopy at the hospital (roughly $80.00). You can often fly in and out on the same day but, if not,

then you would add the cost of a hotel. A rental car really isn't necessary but if you decided to get one, it would be around $20.00 if you go through the right company. 2. Some people have been successful with finding a doctor close to their homes but many, many of us have not. I live in Mobile, Alabama and there is no one close to me at all. I have been to a doctor in Atlanta but she totally messed me up and, as a consequence of trying to save time and money and NOT go back to Mexico, I am looking at the possibility of 2 additional surgeries to remove and then reinsert another port. I should have gone back to Mexico. Because of my experience, I will NEVER let a US doctor touch my band or port area again. Others, however, have done ok. Find out from people in your area. 3. My adverse reaction was not caused by my lapband. My adverse reaction has been

directly the result of unsanitary conditions while being unfilled. The doctor used the same needle over and over and over again which is a HUGE problem. I have been dealing with an infection since October and, as I said in #2, I am probably going to have Dr. Aceves replace the port. BUT, no matter what MINOR problem I have had, I WOULD NEVER TRADE MY BAND FOR ANYTHING! My band has changed my life. Every little minor problem that may crop up is so minimal compared to the positive changes it has allowed me to make. My life is so much better with my band...I would do it again in a heartbeat! Keep in touch and keep asking questions. We all had them so we all know exactly where you are right now. Keep doing your research! Dr. Aceves and his entire staff are the best medical group anywhere in the world. They are truly an amazing group of people. Jenni

Currie DOB 2/23/06 247/231/152/145 3 fills 2 unfillslauratexas668 <laura.trumble@...> wrote: Hey everybody!My namd is and I'm new to the site. I just recently started to research weight loss surgery options and Nina referred me to this site. Now that I have read the brochure about the surgery and life post-op that Nina sent me, I'm completely terrified! LOL! I'm curious to know more about:1) Ongoing maintenance - how often

on average do you need a fill or follow up visit? I live in Texas and imagine that flights back and forth from TX to San Diego, renting a car, etc could get very costly if you have to do it often.2) Using domestic doctors for fills, etc - how successful have you guys been in finding a good doctor state-side that knows what the heck they are doing. And, how willing are they to treat you if you have had the surgery elsewhere?3) Adverse reactions/events - literature says that 88% of patients in a US clinical study had adverse reactions or events and that a good number of these required additional surgery. Has anyone here had problems like that?Anyway, this looks like a great site with incredibly supportive people, which is a nice change from my friends and family who now think I'm crazy for even considering this surgery.Hope to hear from some of you soon and

thanks!

Bored stiff? Loosen up...Download and play hundreds of games for free on Games.