RemedySpot.com

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Phil,

I was wondering where they get the cartilage from. I forgot to ask my doctor during my last visit. Are the grafts to replace the damaged ear bone? The doctor spoke with my father after my surgery and god love him he doesn't remember a word that was said to him, lol.

Hugs,

Thanks. That leads me to my next question. Is all this packing and

stuff visible to the outside world? I was planning on going back to

work a few days after surgery, but if I'm going to be walking around

with a bandage then I might ask if I can work from home for an

extended time.

Gerry

> > >

> > > Hi everyone,

> > >

> > > I am 33 and just had my surgery on the 31st of January. I had

been

> > > experiencing hearing loss for some time, but its seemed that my

> > doctor at

> > > the time was not as concerned as I was. When I was able to

switch

> > doctors I

> > > was finally refered to an ENT who couldn't find anything wrong

and

> > (thank

> > > goodness) refered me out to an Otologist who discovered my

> > cholesteatoma.

> > > Unfortunately I did lose my malleus and incus, but I am very

happy

> > that it

> > > wasn't worse. I am glad that I found this group, I only wish

I had

> > found it

> > > sooner when I had all of the questions.

> > >

> > > Hugs,

> > >

> > > --

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

My son's packing was not noticable at all. The first day he wore a large bandage and then everything was taken off and no bandage worn at all. The packing that our surgeon used is sort of bead like and the part exposed to air will get a crust on it and the underside should stay moist (If you are able to keep all liquid out of there) my sons had almost all come out on it's own. so he had no discomfort in taking the rest out. I kept envisioning a lot of white gauze or something as packing but our surgeon reminded me that it is a small space in there (esp. on a 5 year old) so it isn't that much. My son was out of school for a week, but PROBABLY could have gone back on Friday (after having surgery on monday). He was still a bit cautious and worried about it being painful, although he says it wasn't painful he was still worried it would be.

If pictures are allowed to be posted I can post one of him with his big bandage on so you can see what it looked like.

JWW

On 2/13/06, Gerry <gerrydel@...> wrote:

,Thanks. That leads me to my next question. Is all this packing and stuff visible to the outside world? I was planning on going back to work a few days after surgery, but if I'm going to be walking around with a bandage then I might ask if I can work from home for an extended time. Gerry

> > >> > > Hi everyone,> > >> > > I am 33 and just had my surgery on the 31st of January. I had been> > > experiencing hearing loss for some time, but its seemed that my

> > doctor at> > > the time was not as concerned as I was. When I was able to switch> > doctors I> > > was finally refered to an ENT who couldn't find anything wrong

and> > (thank> > > goodness) refered me out to an Otologist who discovered my> > cholesteatoma.> > > Unfortunately I did lose my malleus and incus, but I am very happy

> > that it> > > wasn't worse. I am glad that I found this group, I only wish I had> > found it> > > sooner when I had all of the questions.> > >> > > Hugs,

> > >> > > --> > > > > >> >> >> >> >> >> >> >

JWW,

Thanks for the information. I went to the photos link and there

were a lot of examples there of people post surgery, so now I have a

pretty good idea.

Gerry

> > > > >

> > > > > Hi everyone,

> > > > >

> > > > > I am 33 and just had my surgery on the 31st of January. I

had

> > been

> > > > > experiencing hearing loss for some time, but its seemed

that my

> > > > doctor at

> > > > > the time was not as concerned as I was. When I was able to

> > switch

> > > > doctors I

> > > > > was finally refered to an ENT who couldn't find anything

wrong

> > and

> > > > (thank

> > > > > goodness) refered me out to an Otologist who discovered my

> > > > cholesteatoma.

> > > > > Unfortunately I did lose my malleus and incus, but I am

very

> > happy

> > > > that it

> > > > > wasn't worse. I am glad that I found this group, I only

wish

> > I had

> > > > found it

> > > > > sooner when I had all of the questions.

> > > > >

> > > > > Hugs,

> > > > >

> > > > > --

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

Hi,

I hate to say it but I looked like a civil war veteran for a week, lol. I can send a pic of the bandage they sent me home in if you would like to see. Originally they said I had to keep it on until my visit to my doctor the week after, and I did, but when I was having it off they said if I had called I probably could have taken it off at home a few days earlier. I wish I knew! The packing I have right now is not visible at all, it is inside the ear, and this will come out tomorrow with the stitches.

Hugs,

Welcome I too am new and look forward to meeting and sharing

with everyone. Happy Valentine's Day to you and all on this board!

Kathleen in California, USA

www.ahealingmind.com

>

> hello,

>

> I am claudia in france and as late here and sleepy, i just want to

send you

> a hello good bye!

>

> writting more later!

>

> have anice and painfree day!

>

> claudia!

>

I just got my surgery date set by my new otologist, for March 8th.

They said I could not wash my hair for 2 weeks after the surgery.

That's just nasty. Luckily, I can work from home and my boss has

already okayed it. I also found out that I'm only going to have one

surgery. This guy is confident he can get it all in one go and

rebuild the middle ear. Found out that he's like one of the top

otologists in the area, the first to do the cochlear implant and BAHA

implant in north Texas. I'm happy. Those pictures on the photos page

were enough for me. Should be fun to go out in public. Can we wear

hats over the incision?

Gerry

>

> Hi,

>

> I hate to say it but I looked like a civil war veteran for a week,

lol. I

> can send a pic of the bandage they sent me home in if you would

like to

> see. Originally they said I had to keep it on until my visit to my

doctor

> the week after, and I did, but when I was having it off they said

if I had

> called I probably could have taken it off at home a few days

earlier. I

> wish I knew! The packing I have right now is not visible at all,

it is

> inside the ear, and this will come out tomorrow with the stitches.

>

> Hugs,

>

Gerry,

We live in North Texas what doctor do you go to? My son is the one with the problems? He is having his third surgery on the 7th of March to remove another c-toma.

Re: Newbie

I just got my surgery date set by my new otologist, for March 8th. They said I could not wash my hair for 2 weeks after the surgery. That's just nasty. Luckily, I can work from home and my boss has already okayed it. I also found out that I'm only going to have one surgery. This guy is confident he can get it all in one go and rebuild the middle ear. Found out that he's like one of the top otologists in the area, the first to do the cochlear implant and BAHA implant in north Texas. I'm happy. Those pictures on the photos page were enough for me. Should be fun to go out in public. Can we wear hats over the incision?Gerry >> Hi,> > I hate to say it but I looked like a civil war veteran for a week, lol. I> can send a pic of the bandage they sent me home in if you would like to> see. Originally they said I had to keep it on until my visit to my doctor> the week after, and I did, but when I was having it off they said if I had> called I probably could have taken it off at home a few days earlier. I> wish I knew! The packing I have right now is not visible at all, it is> inside the ear, and this will come out tomorrow with the stitches.> > Hugs, >

Keep in mind that I don't have the medical expertise to judge a

doctor's skills and am just going on what I've heard. I'm not giving

medical advice here! You should research him independently and talk

to others, including your primary care physician, and maybe look at a

physician reporting service to be sure he suits your needs.

His name is F. , and he works in downtown Fort Worth.

I asked him about my sinus problems and he told me he only does ears,

and that I should seek another ENT for non ear problems. That

impressed me as the type of person I want working on my ears.

Take care,

Gerry

> >

> > Hi,

> >

> > I hate to say it but I looked like a civil war veteran for a

week,

> lol. I

> > can send a pic of the bandage they sent me home in if you would

> like to

> > see. Originally they said I had to keep it on until my visit

to my

> doctor

> > the week after, and I did, but when I was having it off they

said

> if I had

> > called I probably could have taken it off at home a few days

> earlier. I

> > wish I knew! The packing I have right now is not visible at

all,

> it is

> > inside the ear, and this will come out tomorrow with the

stitches.

> >

> > Hugs,

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Thank you

Re: Newbie

,Keep in mind that I don't have the medical expertise to judge a doctor's skills and am just going on what I've heard. I'm not giving medical advice here! You should research him independently and talk to others, including your primary care physician, and maybe look at a physician reporting service to be sure he suits your needs. His name is F. , and he works in downtown Fort Worth. I asked him about my sinus problems and he told me he only does ears, and that I should seek another ENT for non ear problems. That impressed me as the type of person I want working on my ears. Take care,Gerry> >> > Hi,> > > > I hate to say it but I looked like a civil war veteran for a week, > lol. I> > can send a pic of the bandage they sent me home in if you would > like to> > see. Originally they said I had to keep it on until my visit to my > doctor> > the week after, and I did, but when I was having it off they said > if I had> > called I probably could have taken it off at home a few days > earlier. I> > wish I knew! The packing I have right now is not visible at all, > it is> > inside the ear, and this will come out tomorrow with the stitches.> > > > Hugs, > >> > > > > > > >

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

>

> Hi my name is Jenn i'm working towards being a spiritual healer,

> every technique exspecially with the mind.

> I'm a reiki healer in 4 types,

> Usai reiki, Pryamid reiki, Sacred moon reiki, Templar degree reiki.

>

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to the group! You'll find us to be a rather warm and spirited

bunch :o)

-Jef

• 4 weeks later...
Guest guest

In a message dated 5/1/2006 4:32:35 P.M. Central Standard Time, mrsjac2001@... writes:

Hi I'm Jackie. I'm a 52 yr old married female. I am scheduled for atotal Knee replacement on May 24. I'm going through moments of can'twait and other moments of what am I getting into. Just found this group.

Hi Jackie, I'm and I've had both of my knees replaced. One in Nov. and one in Feb. They both still hurt, of course my newest one more but I would do it again in a heartbeat. For maybe a week after you'll be thinking what in the heck did I do this for and then it will get better, slowly. Even though mine hurt I can stand a lot longer and walk a lot further, and I don't waddle. I was bone on bone in both of them and only 45 so they didn't want to do it yet until I finally got more x-rays. I wanted to do them both at the same time but they said that the rehab would be too much.

Guest guest

Hello Jackie Welcome! I am just a month after your TKR with the same surgery and feel exactly the same way. The pain in my R knee has been awful the past week so that makes me excited to get beyond the surgery to a new life, but then I have moments of abject fear about the surgery itself and the aftermath/recovery. I am divorced and on my own, although my children and various freinds who will help me out. I am 62 and work full time. I am fortunate to have disability and will have lots of support from work as it is close to my house and they are wonderful people. Hope we can compare notes as we go along and I wish you well. Marcia (Cape Cod)Jackie Crosby <mrsjac2001@...> wrote: Hi I'm Jackie. I'm a 52 yr old married female. I am scheduled for atotal Knee replacement on May 24. I'm

going through moments of can'twait and other moments of what am I getting into. Just found this group.

New Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

Guest guest

Hi Jackie,

I'm Debra, 48, and am 7 weeks post op today with my LTKR. I went

through the same emotions as you are - before and after my surgery.

But anything is better than the pain I was going through for so many

years. This is a great place for support and info. Welcome!!

Deb

>

> Hi I'm Jackie. I'm a 52 yr old married female. I am scheduled for a

> total Knee replacement on May 24. I'm going through moments of can't

> wait and other moments of what am I getting into. Just found this

group.

>

Guest guest

Hi Jackie:

I am also a 52 year old female. I had bilateral knee replacements on

12/14/05. I had days prior to the surgery when I wanted to just call

it off. I'm glad that I had it done.

I am widowed - but my daughter came to stay with me. Rehab is hard -

but doable. Try to do the exercises several times a day.

I have been back at work full time since 2/16/06.

Make up a good story for the fantastic scars - I alternate between

cliff jumping accident and something that happened way back when I

was in the resistance.

Good luck.

>

> Hi I'm Jackie. I'm a 52 yr old married female. I am scheduled for a

> total Knee replacement on May 24. I'm going through moments of can't

> wait and other moments of what am I getting into. Just found this

group.

>

Guest guest

<scsilverthorne@...> wrote: Hi Jackie:I am also a 52 year old female. I had bilateral knee replacements on 12/14/05. I had days prior to the surgery when I wanted to just call it off. I'm glad that I had it done.I am widowed - but my daughter came to stay with me. Rehab is hard - but doable. Try to do the exercises several times a day.I have been back at work full time since 2/16/06. Make up a good story for the fantastic scars - I alternate between cliff jumping accident and something that happened way back when I was in the resistance.Good luck.>> Hi I'm Jackie. I'm a 52 yr old married female. I am scheduled for a> total Knee replacement on May 24. I'm going through

moments of can't> wait and other moments of what am I getting into. Just found this group.>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi,

It is very common to be nervous when

waiting for a TKR. I had mine done three years ago – it gave me my

life back. Before the surgery I was so limited in what I could do and the

pain was constant.

Recovery takes some time but worth

it. Physical therapy can be uncomfortable – take your meds before

PT.

Starting tomorrow, you will be getting

better each day (some days you may not think so). You will be so glad to

be pain free in a few months.

Nikki in NH

From: Joint Replacement [mailto:Joint Replacement ] On Behalf Of pphilyaw13

Sent: Wednesday, May 17, 2006 7:39

PM

Joint Replacement

Subject:

Hi Everyone! I am a bit nervous, I have a total right knee replacement

scheduled for tomorrow. I would love to hear something positive. I

live in Florida, in the USA. I have

heard great things about my

surgeon, but need to know how long till you can get back in the swing

of things? I am 47 year old female, overweight, have arthritis so bad,

it has ate away all the cartilage. Wish me good luck, and I hope

everyone continues to get better.

Happiness,

Penny

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/17/2006 7:50:12 P.M. Central Standard Time, pphilyaw13@... writes:

Hi Everyone! I am a bit nervous, I have a total right knee replacement scheduled for tomorrow. I would love to hear something positive. I live in Florida, in the USA. I have heard great things about my surgeon, but need to know how long till you can get back in the swing of things? I am 47 year old female, overweight, have arthritis so bad, it has ate away all the cartilage. Wish me good luck, and I hope everyone continues to get better.Happiness,Penny

Hi Penny, you sound basically like me except that I'm 45. I had one knee done in Nov. and one in Feb. They still don't feel like I remember them feeling when I was younger, but the pain is sooo much better. They said that they wouldn't do my surgery until I was 50 cause I was too fat and that the knees wouldn't last long enough. They finally did another x-ray and said that they would do it right away, I was bone in bone. My first knee is feeling almost really good. My second one is still so much better than it was that I'm really glad that I've had them done. I also had back surgery last April so I've been really down for over a year. Also, this all started when I was 26. I love to ride horses and am about ready to try to again. The first week you may wonder what the heck you did to yourself, but it's up hill from there on. Super good luck and write back when you get home.

Guest guest

Hi Penny, I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery :-) Trust in the Lord and take one day at a time. You will be in my prays:-) Susiepphilyaw13 <pphilyaw13@...> wrote: Hi Everyone! I am a bit nervous, I have a total right knee replacement scheduled for tomorrow. I would love

to hear something positive. I live in Florida, in the USA. I have heard great things about my surgeon, but need to know how long till you can get back in the swing of things? I am 47 year old female, overweight, have arthritis so bad, it has ate away all the cartilage. Wish me good luck, and I hope everyone continues to get better.Happiness,Penny

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hey Regina,

Welcome to our Bandster Family. You are in great hands with Dr Aceves :0)

What area of Mississippi are you from? I was born in Vicksburg and go back once in a while for our family reunions. Now I live in the Seattle area.

I pray all goes well with your financing and you will be banded soon!.

Again, Welcome to our Family :0)

Banded 7/20/05

210/151/140

Hi everyone,My name is Regina,from Mississippi.I am almost 32 y/o.I have been overweight since I was a teenager.I have been married for 14 yrs. and have 4 kids.I currently weigh 358 lbs.Thankfully I have NO medical probs as of yet,but I know I will if I don't do something about this weight.I have been researching the lap-band for about 2 yrs.My mom was banded on 5/20/06.And came back with nothing but GREAT things to say about her whole experience.I am waiting on finance approval,but hopefully I will be flying down within the next few weeks to have my surgery.My mom is gonna go down with me..She has lost 22.5 lbs.I am so excited,and ready to have this done..I have been lurking around this site for a few days reading posts and getting even more informed.So I decided to finally indroduce myself and hope to talk more with all of you.

Guest guest

Hi Regina, Welcome!! and congratulations on making the decision to have the surgery. My name is Tammy I. (theres a couple of us Tammy's here). I live in Southern California and was banded on 4/20/06 by Dr. A. You will find that any questions you may have someone will be able to answer them. You said that your Mom was banded on 5/20. What is her name?? There seems to be a lot of Mother/Daughters getting banded together!! that is great support for eachother. Good Luck to you!! Tammy I. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Thanks Tammy.my mom's name is Janice.I told her about this group,I think she might join.not sure tho.she is a truck driver and went back to work Saturday,maybe she can squeeze in the time to chat a bit.tammy irish <tammyntod@...> wrote: Hi Regina, Welcome!! and congratulations on making the decision to have the surgery. My name is Tammy I. (theres a couple of us Tammy's here). I live in Southern California and was banded on 4/20/06 by Dr. A. You will find that any questions you may have someone will be able to answer them. You said that your Mom was banded on 5/20. What is her name?? There seems to be a lot of Mother/Daughters getting banded together!! that is great support for eachother. Good Luck to

you!! Tammy I. __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Thanks ,I am from North MS.about 45 miles from Memphis." Gross, LMP" <jugross@...> wrote: Hey Regina, Welcome to our Bandster Family. You are in great hands with Dr Aceves :0) What area of Mississippi are you from? I was born in Vicksburg and go back once in a while for our family reunions. Now I live in the Seattle area. I pray all goes well with your financing and you will be banded soon!. Again, Welcome to our Family :0) Banded

7/20/05 210/151/140 Newbie Hi everyone,My name is Regina,from Mississippi.I am almost 32 y/o.I have been overweight since I was a teenager.I have been married for 14 yrs. and have 4 kids.I

currently weigh 358 lbs.Thankfully I have NO medical probs as of yet,but I know I will if I don't do something about this weight.I have been researching the lap-band for about 2 yrs.My mom was banded on 5/20/06.And came back with nothing but GREAT things to say about her whole experience.I am waiting on finance approval,but hopefully I will be flying down within the next few weeks to have my surgery.My mom is gonna go down with me..She has lost 22.5 lbs.I am so excited,and ready to have this done..I have been lurking around this site for a few days reading posts and getting even more informed.So I decided to finally indroduce myself and hope to talk more with all of you.Love,Genie __________________________________________________

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Bill, I had a huge crater behind my ear too. This slowly smoothed out as the scar healed and the skin returned to the right shape. I try to get glasses that have a small armature. An adjustment of the frames might be in order at the local opthamologist. The numbness will go away in time too. I still feel it numbing sometimes if I rub it when showering or wear a tight fitting ballcap. Bring on the questions because we can help you! billhigg07 <billhigg07@...> wrote: HI ALLI'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual way as a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on for 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the tubes were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on till this yr ent found the tube had destroyed the left drum, so sent me to barrows in phx to see a nurotologist, had mastoidectomy and the bones removed, new drum. Plastic put in to keep the space open. Yes all the pain. My questions are, 1. How long will the area stay painfully numb, 2 am I the only one having problem wearing glasses? The frame makes the spot where the mastoid was sink in quite a bit. Btw im 2 months post op. and will have more questions to

come….bill __________________________________________________

Guest guest

hi shawn

is your crater on the scar line? mine is above it. the eye doc

suggested only buying okley cuz of the ear frames go far behind the

ear on the head kinda. but gee they are 300.00 just for the frames.

oh well knock off's are ok. what about the burning sensation above

the ear? normal....more to come

bill

> HI ALL

> I'm new to ctoma, but not to ear probs, I started out the usual

way as

> a kid, ear aches ECT ECT. Ended up having a staphed at age 25, but

> after they opened the drum, they just suctioned it out, went on

for

> 10yrs till a ent decided it was glue ear in both ears. So the

tubes

> were inserted, heard things had not heard in yrs! This went on