RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

viral load

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In my 29 years of being positive with just the last 15 on meds I have had a few blips in my viral load. Probably everyone has some kind of variation in their VL from test to test. Mine have always gone back to below 50 at my next blood draw. When I do have a blip I attribute it to being less than perfect with my meds. By that I mean not taking them 12 hours apart or not taking them with food, not that this is necessary for everyone it just seems to work for me. Also being stressed about something around that time could have something to do with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see your VL climb after your next couple of blood draws. Are you taking NAC along with your meds? It does help.

Guest guest

I too just had a so called "blip". I was told that 'they' have developed a more precise method of detection. I am not exactly sure what that means, but for now I will take their word on that. I too have had problems taking my meds on time. Spacing it out 12 hours and getting in the amount of sleep I need can be frustrating. I believe the company that does the testing for my doc is Quest Labs. I am wondering sometimes how could I go and have a different lab do the testing, just to see if they come up with the same results. I don't trust these labs at all. I just think there is to much room for error. From: Joe Carpenter <carpj1@...> " " < > Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:37 PM Subject: Re: Viral Load

In my 29 years of being positive with just the last 15 on meds I have had a few blips in my viral load. Probably everyone has some kind of variation in their VL from test to test. Mine have always gone back to below 50 at my next blood draw. When I do have a blip I attribute it to being less than perfect with my meds. By that I mean not taking them 12 hours apart or not taking them with food, not that this is necessary for everyone it just seems to work for me. Also being stressed about something around that time could have something to do with it. I wouldn't worry about it unless you see your VL climb after your next couple of blood draws. Are you taking NAC along with your meds? It does help.

Guest guest

Kaiser has moved to a new HIV detection system with a sensitivity of just 20 copies per mL. Years ago it was 200. I have had a few blips over less than 2,000 during the past decade. Although I didn't think that was serious, my doc switched me to a regimen that got me below 60 copies/mL (at that time their best sensitivity). I was on Kaletra and Truvada. The Kaletra caused both facial wasting and diarrhea. Lots of Immodium generally controlled the diarrhea, but I had some very close calls and a few times where I didn't quite make it (but at home, fortunately). As most of you know, you just deal with it.

Because I am now on a triple-drug treatment protocol for HIV / HCV coinfection, I had to drop the Kaletra. Kaletra is not compatible with Boceprevir. My ID doc put me on Isentress. It is a great drug. The facial wasting has resolved, my color has come back to my face (caucasian) and the diarrhea has disappeared completely. So -- Truvada plus Isentress. Easy to take and easy on me in terms of side effects.

The occasional small blip (say 500 copies) could be triggered by an infection such as a strep throat or the flu. As long as it is transient I don't think that it has much clinical significance, but of course it's better to suppress the virus continually and as much as possible.

Quest is one of the two giant testing companies. I have never heard a criticism of their test results, but mistakes are made in all large-scale testing operations.

Hope this is helpful.

Jerome

In a message dated 8/2/2012 9:58:04 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, blueeyes9455@... writes:

I too just had a so called "blip". I was told that 'they' have developed a more precise method of detection. I am not exactly sure what that means, but for now I will take their word on that. I too have had problems taking my meds on time. Spacing it out 12 hours and getting in the amount of sleep I need can be frustrating. I believe the company that does the testing for my doc is Quest Labs. I am wondering sometimes how could I go and have a different lab do the testing, just to see if they come up with the same results. I don't trust these labs at all. I just think there is to much room for error.

Guest guest

I have been on meds for a long time over 20 years you do not have to be on the 12 hour med regimen you can actually take them up to 5 hours late. I take my meds at 7-10 in the morning and from 9-1 in the evening. My viral load is undetectable for over 15 years and t-cells are at 495. Don't worry about it you will learn to take your meds when you remember. So no need to panic. Just some advice from an old fart still kicking and looking good. FRANK

In a message dated 8/2/2012 6:58:40 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, blueeyes9455@... writes:

I too just had a so called "blip". I was told that 'they' have developed a more precise method of detection. I am not exactly sure what that means, but for now I will take their word on that. I too have had problems taking my meds on time. Spacing it out 12 hours and getting in the amount of sleep I need can be frustrating. I believe the company that does the testing for my doc is Quest Labs. I am wondering sometimes how could I go and have a different lab do the testing, just to see if they come up with the same results. I don't trust these labs at all. I just think there is to much room for error.

From: Joe Carpenter <carpj1@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:37 PMSubject: Re: Viral Load

Guest guest

I have been on meds for a long time over 20 years you do not have to be on the 12 hour med regimen you can actually take them up to 5 hours late. I take my meds at 7-10 in the morning and from 9-1 in the evening. My viral load is undetectable for over 15 years and t-cells are at 495. Don't worry about it you will learn to take your meds when you remember. So no need to panic. Just some advice from an old fart still kicking and looking good. FRANK

In a message dated 8/2/2012 6:58:40 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, blueeyes9455@... writes:

From: Joe Carpenter <carpj1@...>" " < > Sent: Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:37 PMSubject: Re: Viral Load