RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Hello, I am new

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Don't count on him not getting services. Hope's language score with reading and so on is VERY high - in the superior range. However, using language is a serious issue for her mainly with pragmatics and just not talking - she was almost non verbal until age 5 though. Her tests are high - but simply due to the behaviors her iep was started, she has a 1:1 aide, Speech and Language therapy and Autism Team services. Mom to four special kids - Max 18: adhd/sid/ld, Molly 15, AS, BP, OCD (?), PTSD, SaraCait 10 ADHD severe, BP (?), Hope - 5 Autism, ADHD (non medicated), GERDpaul skarda <pskarda@...> wrote: Hello I am new too. My name is Michele and my DS is three years old with a PDD-NOS dx although we think he has AS. Your message was enlightening and scary as we are going through the same thing. My son is very smart and when he aged out of early intervention they tested his expressive and receptive language. They said they couldn't test his pragmatics as he was too young. His expressive language was about a year ahead of his age. He is currently in preschool and is mostly non-compliant and plays alone. We were denied the Medicaid waiver because of that expressive language score and we are still trying to get services for him through the school. The school has said that they don't think he will qualify

under autism because of that stupid expressive language score. They also told me that most AS kids don't qualify for services because they are so smart. They want to put him under OHI also but another parent told me to fight for the autism label as we would get more services. Also, two of the evaluators have asked me if I thought his non-compliance wasn't really just a behavior issue and I wanted to scream! Do they not know anything about autism? They also gave us the GRS rating scale. It will be interesting to see what the results are. Good luck to you and I hope you don't lose your services! Michele Hello, I am new Hi All! I am Stacie. Mom to a 5 year old boy with high functioning autism. Although we are now leaning to aspergers. He will go in to see a neuropscyh in a couple weeks to see if our thoughts are correct. My son has been in the intensive autism therapy for 2 years now. His intensive therapy ends in July which in a way I am glad as I am tired of having to answer to people when he is sick or we need

to do things. But the therapy has helped him tremoundously. Dakota was also diagnosed with ADHD. Dakota recently had his IEP meeting. And well they didn't put him under the autism criteria they put him under the other health impairment. One thing that upset me was the fact they had us fill out the Gillian Rating scale for Autism and Aspergers. I filled it out and they had the speech teacher fill it out. Why they have someone who only spends 2 hours a week with my son is beyond me. Of course he isn't going to have the symptoms to hear because he can communicate with adults and people in a small group if he feels comfortable. That doesn't mean he doesn't have autism. Well according to her findings he didn't have the symptomes and according to mine he rated average in autism and borderline for aspergers. Yet the school psychologist said that because the results had discrepensies they couldn't tell if it was from the autism or not. Fine

whatever, they aren't doctors and can't diagnosis. And the speech teacher only thinks of extremely autistic kids and people seem to forget every kid is different. Well the lady from the county was at the IEP and I flat out said to all of them. Aren't you concerned with how he withdraws himself from the other kids. And the lady from the county said how does he do that. well the response was first he brings a toy to school and can play at free time. He will play alone with that toy. Other kids don't go up to him maybe if they did he would let them play. The county lady said rudely solve the problem don't let him bring toys it would force him to be social. Which isn't true as he goes off by himself and then grabs a notebook and writes in it. Also even his teacher has noticed the withdrawal getting worse every day. Another example was that he was doing a project in class while everyone in the room was talking he wasn't talking to anyone in there but doing his project. The lady

at the county flat out said oh that don't sound like characteristic to me. I said to her well I am sorry but you are WRONG. First of all this is a everyday occurrence regardless if he brings his toys in, when he gets home his routine is to go in his room and spend hours in there playing with his stuffed dog, and heaven forbid anyone go in there to check on him as he gets mad and starts yelling and calling names as he doesn't want to be distirbed. This is EVERY DAY!! Now to top this all off is my son is at risk of losing his autism intenisve therapy as lately we have not maintained 20 hours per week. There were lots of factors involved, for example dakota is sick a lot. And when he is sick and has a fever he can't go to school and his therapists can't work with him. Another reason was that the company was understaffed. Yet the lady at the county said that as a parent it's my fault. Sorry I can't help unforseen circumstances. Well I called a

advocate and we looked into it more. I found out that she isn't doing her job. For one she reported us to the state without even bothering to help correct teh situation. She is suppose to get with the provider to see about being able to provide 20 hours. WEll obviously that is what the meeting is on Monday. But if they can't provide 20 hours she is suppose to be offering another company she did NOT do that. Also if he is sick a lot and the therapy is helping then we have to find out if there is another type of therapy or alternative that we could be doing. She has not done that. So Monday we have the meeting and lets just say it's not going to be pretty. I complained to her boss but he blew me off. If I get upset during the meeting I am ending the meeting and my advocate will attend the next meeting with me. I have fought for 5 years I will not stop now. However my umph is running out. I have been thru a lot in 5 years. And if I had to do it again I would. Ok now that i Have rambled on enough and vented I feel better. LOL I hope you all have a great weekend. Stacie "I want to be part of the solution. Not part of the agonizing, grinding, boring complacent problem..."

Henry Rollins; From "I hate U2" __________________________________________________

Guest guest

Hi Stacie,

Yes, we are in WI - are you from WI? I will look into Beckett. To be honest, I really didn't check into it because I wasn't sure what it was but I will do some research. Thanks for the information and I am glad you aren't going to lose your therapy!

Michele

Re: Hello, I am new

Michele are you in a state that has a program called Beckett? I know it's available in I think 6 or 8 states but I don't know which ones they are. Dakota is on Beckett and to qualify they have to have needs. Not exactly sure of all the needs. But Dakota is on that program. It's like being on SSI but you don't get money only the insurance and your income doesn't matter. As for the Autism or the OHI I didn't think the label mattered as they get the same services. Hmmm that's something I need to look into. He is getting speech and occupational therapy at school. I so can relate on the behavior issue. I have wanted to scream so many times. I think of people are uneducated when it comes to autism. I did call another advocate today and what the county is doing is wrong. She was suppose to notify me BEFORE she went to the state and she did not. A attorney will be calling me with in the next few days. So we shall see what happens. I didn't think what they did was right. I don't think he will lose the services. He probably will be on probation of some sort I guess. But he won't start getting a full 20 hours till after the holidays. I want to cancel therapy tonight so I can leave for Madison. I want to spend the night in a hotel so I don't have to wake the kids up super early in the morning. At least they will get the proper rest.

stacie