RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Dizziness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

G,day Chris

My son Nick (9) often complains of dizziness although it has been six months since his last op. Is dizziness a normal reaction to the c-toma? Nick is very active most of the time - he knows now when to slow down.

Another question - Nicks ear tends to be very red and he is complaining of a burning sensation behind his ear. I would appreciate advice on this.

I live in central Queensland and our GP has gone away for 2 weeks.

Thanks mate

Debbie

Re: So many questions...

,I had my surgery on a Friday, Aug. 22, and I was still laid up on Monday. You may not want to get up, let alone go to class. However, it all depends on the extent of your surgery and how you respond. Of course, age is a factor and overall health as well. I just went back to the gym yesterday, two weeks after my surgery and I was dogging it. I tired quickly and felt somewhat dizzy with all the constant moving. Again, it all depends on a lot of factors. Good Luck!Chris> Hi everyone!> > Wow--for starters, I'm glad I got so much feedback from my first > post! I'm sorry that it's taken me awhile to get back to > everyone...but you know. Sophomore engineering classes. 3 hours of > vectors....yuck. :)> > There are so many questions--both to ask and answer...so I guess > I'll start out by answering some...;)> > , Candy, and Patti--thanks for all of the feedback and > support! It's really great to know that I've got a whole support > network to lean on now. > Tom and -- I am in fact under Dr. Stasnick's care. When I > went in for the first exam, he and the resident both seemed > absolutely wonderful. I'm actually attending school in Washington > DC (Catholic University), so in addition to Dr. Strasnick being > wonderful, he's actually arranging all of my pre- and post-ops, and > the surgery, around my class schedule so I can do the surgery closer > to home. I "live", if you will, in Poquoson, and since the surgery > is scheduled on a friday afternoon, it looks like I get an overnight > stay too. Should be interesting, at the very least...> > so now for my own questions, I guess. I've been reading the posts > between my last one and this one, and it's made me think of a few > extra things to ask. First off--I think I have a (another) > infection in the problem ear. Dr. Strasnick called in a > perscription to the pharmacy near me, but wants me to follow up with > an ENT in the DC area--I think he recommended Dr. Linde...any > thoughts? Also, I was informed that air travel is a HUGE no no for > at least 6 weeks after the surgery...that won't be too much of a > problem, but this past weekend going to visit a friend on the other > side of town, I noticed that riding the metro caused just as much > pressure pain as flying does for me. So hmm...how good of an idea > is it to assume that riding around under rivers and highways is a > good thing to do post op? This could be a major problem, seeing as > how I don't have a car in the area and the metro is the only way I > can get around!! :)> I've also noticed that the discussions in the group as of late have > touched a lot on excercising after a c-tome surgery...running, > biking, that sort of thing...and also a few have mentioned the post-> op period interfering with work etc. As a second year college > student, this concerns me. I realize that my surgery is supposed to > be outpatient (although I am staying the night), but will I be > alright and not drugged enough to go to and do well in a 9 am > Calculus class the monday after? Or that week, even...(I'm having > the surgery done on a friday afternoon.). I know it doesn't seem > like it directly involves excercising, but if one is not supposed to > do anything strenuous, I'm not really sure how lugging books up and > down campus hills will fit in. > > > See? Like I said, so many questions...any thoughts on any of this?> > more soon!>

Guest guest

G'day Debbie,

Just my opinion, but those symptoms you describe reminds me of infection. I can't really help you with the dizziness except to say everyone is different and that is not very helpful to you. I'd say call your doctor but he is gone and I am assuming you live in a remote part of Australia.

Good luck to you and please keep us posted.

Michele, Group ModeratorDEBRA DARE <ddare@...> wrote:

G,day Chris

My son Nick (9) often complains of dizziness although it has been six months since his last op. Is dizziness a normal reaction to the c-toma? Nick is very active most of the time - he knows now when to slow down.

Another question - Nicks ear tends to be very red and he is complaining of a burning sensation behind his ear. I would appreciate advice on this.

I live in central Queensland and our GP has gone away for 2 weeks.

Thanks mate

Debbie

Re: So many questions...

,I had my surgery on a Friday, Aug. 22, and I was still laid up on Monday. You may not want to get up, let alone go to class. However, it all depends on the extent of your surgery and how you respond. Of course, age is a factor and overall health as well. I just went back to the gym yesterday, two weeks after my surgery and I was dogging it. I tired quickly and felt somewhat dizzy with all the constant moving. Again, it all depends on a lot of factors. Good Luck!Chris> Hi everyone!> > Wow--for starters, I'm glad I got so much feedback from my first > post! I'm sorry that it's taken me awhile to get back to > everyone...but you know. Sophomore engineering classes. 3 hours of > vectors....yuck. :)> > There are so

many questions--both to ask and answer...so I guess > I'll start out by answering some...;)> > , Candy, and Patti--thanks for all of the feedback and > support! It's really great to know that I've got a whole support > network to lean on now. > Tom and -- I am in fact under Dr. Stasnick's care. When I > went in for the first exam, he and the resident both seemed > absolutely wonderful. I'm actually attending school in Washington > DC (Catholic University), so in addition to Dr. Strasnick being > wonderful, he's actually arranging all of my pre- and post-ops, and > the surgery, around my class schedule so I can do the surgery closer > to home. I "live", if you will, in Poquoson, and since the surgery > is scheduled on a friday afternoon, it looks like I get an overnight > stay too. Should be interesting, at the very least...>

> so now for my own questions, I guess. I've been reading the posts > between my last one and this one, and it's made me think of a few > extra things to ask. First off--I think I have a (another) > infection in the problem ear. Dr. Strasnick called in a > perscription to the pharmacy near me, but wants me to follow up with > an ENT in the DC area--I think he recommended Dr. Linde...any > thoughts? Also, I was informed that air travel is a HUGE no no for > at least 6 weeks after the surgery...that won't be too much of a > problem, but this past weekend going to visit a friend on the other > side of town, I noticed that riding the metro caused just as much > pressure pain as flying does for me. So hmm...how good of an idea > is it to assume that riding around under rivers and highways is a > good thing to do post op? This could be a major problem, seeing

as > how I don't have a car in the area and the metro is the only way I > can get around!! :)> I've also noticed that the discussions in the group as of late have > touched a lot on excercising after a c-tome surgery...running, > biking, that sort of thing...and also a few have mentioned the post-> op period interfering with work etc. As a second year college > student, this concerns me. I realize that my surgery is supposed to > be outpatient (although I am staying the night), but will I be > alright and not drugged enough to go to and do well in a 9 am > Calculus class the monday after? Or that week, even...(I'm having > the surgery done on a friday afternoon.). I know it doesn't seem > like it directly involves excercising, but if one is not supposed to > do anything strenuous, I'm not really sure how lugging books up and > down campus hills will fit in.

> > > See? Like I said, so many questions...any thoughts on any of this?> > more soon!>

Guest guest

Debbie,

According to my Doctor, dizziness isn't that common. It really

depends on where the Ctoma is located. Mine, for instance, was near

the area that controls equalibrium(sp) so he said dizziness would be

possible but would eventually pass. As far as the burning, I would

agree with Michele; it sounds like the start of an infection. You

would want him to be seen as soon as possible because he will

probably need some sort of antibiotic. Good luck with that! Keep us

posted.

Chris

> > Hi everyone!

> >

> > Wow--for starters, I'm glad I got so much feedback from my

first

> > post! I'm sorry that it's taken me awhile to get back to

> > everyone...but you know. Sophomore engineering classes. 3

hours

> of

> > vectors....yuck. :)

> >

> > There are so many questions--both to ask and answer...so I

guess

> > I'll start out by answering some...;)

> >

> > , Candy, and Patti--thanks for all of the feedback and

> > support! It's really great to know that I've got a whole

support

> > network to lean on now.

> > Tom and -- I am in fact under Dr. Stasnick's care. When

I

> > went in for the first exam, he and the resident both seemed

> > absolutely wonderful. I'm actually attending school in

Washington

> > DC (Catholic University), so in addition to Dr. Strasnick being

> > wonderful, he's actually arranging all of my pre- and post-ops,

and

> > the surgery, around my class schedule so I can do the surgery

> closer

> > to home. I " live " , if you will, in Poquoson, and since the

surgery

> > is scheduled on a friday afternoon, it looks like I get an

> overnight

> > stay too. Should be interesting, at the very least...

> >

> > so now for my own questions, I guess. I've been reading the

> > between my last one and this one, and it's made me think of a

few

> > extra things to ask. First off--I think I have a (another)

> > infection in the problem ear. Dr. Strasnick called in a

> > perscription to the pharmacy near me, but wants me to follow up

> with

> > an ENT in the DC area--I think he recommended Dr. Linde...any

> > thoughts? Also, I was informed that air travel is a HUGE no no

for

> > at least 6 weeks after the surgery...that won't be too much of

a

> > problem, but this past weekend going to visit a friend on the

other

> > side of town, I noticed that riding the metro caused just as

much

> > pressure pain as flying does for me. So hmm...how good of an

idea

> > is it to assume that riding around under rivers and highways is

a

> > good thing to do post op? This could be a major problem,

seeing as

> > how I don't have a car in the area and the metro is the only

way I

> > can get around!! :)

> > I've also noticed that the discussions in the group as of late

have

> > touched a lot on excercising after a c-tome surgery...running,

> > biking, that sort of thing...and also a few have mentioned the

post-

> > op period interfering with work etc. As a second year college

> > student, this concerns me. I realize that my surgery is

supposed

> to

> > be outpatient (although I am staying the night), but will I be

> > alright and not drugged enough to go to and do well in a 9 am

> > Calculus class the monday after? Or that week, even...(I'm

having

> > the surgery done on a friday afternoon.). I know it doesn't

seem

> > like it directly involves excercising, but if one is not

supposed

> to

> > do anything strenuous, I'm not really sure how lugging books up

and

> > down campus hills will fit in.

> >

> >

> > See? Like I said, so many questions...any thoughts on any of

this?

> >

> > more soon!

> >

>

>

>

Guest guest

My son Nick (9) often complains of dizziness although it has been six months since his last op. Is dizziness a normal reaction to the c-toma? Nick is very active most of the time - he knows now when to slow down. > > Another question - Nicks ear tends to be very red and he is complaining of a burning sensation behind his ear. I would appreciate advice on this.> > I live in central Queensland and our GP has gone away for 2 weeks

Hi Debra

I'm not sure if you mean that the dizziness has been a regular thing since the surgery. I recently posted a link about fistula which is said to occur in about 10% of ctomas. What that means is that opening between the middle ear and the semicircular canals (which are very sensitive) i.e. through erosion, though it could just be a tiny crack. It does mean that the movement of air in the middle ear will cause unbalance - and the more you move around the more the air moves and the more you get lose balance. And yes, resting is the thing that resolves it. Anyway it could be something worth enquiring about. The result of cold air getting getting into a middle ear where the eardrum is missing could also upset balance.

On the other hand, it could well be the result of an infection i.e. in the mastoid, which could be the cause of the burning sensation. So definitely something that needs looking at asap. I know you'v e just been through winter in Queensland but I think tropical environments are amongst the worst places for picking up ear infections simply from the amount of bacteria that thrives in a hot humid atmosphere.

On a personal note I get a burning sensation in my ears and face all the time. And what I do is eat ice-cream. I'm being flippant of course but it does seem to work for me. I imagine it's just the fact that I like ice-cream that provides me with a pleasurable distraction.

Hope you can get Nick sorted out soon

Phil

Guest guest

Dear Gaynel and Cliff,

I am on the tx list and have been for almost 2 years. My meld score varies between 11 and 14 but many of my most severe symptoms are not directly related to the meld. I have dealt with the encephalapathy for over 2 years, my acites is getting difficult to control and I've had 2 bouts with SBP (peritonitis). Luckily my kidneys are doing well! At this time my biggest frustration is with fatigue and wanting to sleep over 12 hours a day and when I'm awake I'm not much use to anyone. I figure I'll just keep on keeping on and eventually something will happen!

Cliff should possibly really ask about the encephalapathy since his score is 17. It certainly wouldn't be surprising and a diet change and meds can make a big difference.

Let me know how it's going.

Amy

Guest guest

Kay,

I think you should see your doc. What you used to have, dizziness when

standing up too fast is probably postural hypotension and not that

concerning. The dizziness on tipping head back and lying down sounds more

like true vertigo which could be an inner ear problem. I hope you see your

doc. about it.

I've had a less serious problem lately with lightheadedness when I tip my

head back like reaching for something on a high shelf. I grab the counter

and go " Holy Smokes! " It probably is a milder positional vertigo than what

you're having.

Best Wishes,

Janet in SF

Guest guest

Thank you for the suggestion, Faye. What is Betahistine? Do you get vertigo

when you lay down. When I get up to go to the bathroom at night and then crawl

back into bed, I feel as if I'm spinning. During the day I have to be careful

how I tip my head. Tipping back causes problems. I'm going to try to see the

doctor tomorrow. I have also had several days of headaches. I have taken

migraine medicine for so many days I think I may developing rebound headaches.

I'm also going off Effexor. Perhaps I have been going off it too fast. Some of

these anti-depressants seem rather difficult to go off.

Thanks.

Kay

Guest guest

adrenal fatigue--

> The past week I have noticed extreme dizziness, headache, joint

pain,

> been nauseous and even an eye twitch. It is getting progressively

> worse, and I am starting to get scared. I just wanted to know if

> these symptoms are thyroid related, has anyone felt this way too?

I

> am mainly really dizzy, I am also losing concentration at work.

> Should I be investigating these syptoms? Any advise would be

great,

> thanks.

>

>

Guest guest

These are adrenal symptoms. If you are on thyroid meds, then your adrenals

are not able to keep up.

Gracia

> The past week I have noticed extreme dizziness, headache, joint pain,

> been nauseous and even an eye twitch. It is getting progressively

> worse, and I am starting to get scared. I just wanted to know if

> these symptoms are thyroid related, has anyone felt this way too? I

> am mainly really dizzy, I am also losing concentration at work.

> Should I be investigating these syptoms? Any advise would be great,

> thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I get eye twitches, dizziness, joint pain, and headaches too. For me

these come right before the other symptoms come back - hair loss, brain

fog, fatigue.

Jan

mwcislo wrote:

>The past week I have noticed extreme dizziness, headache, joint pain,

>been nauseous and even an eye twitch. It is getting progressively

>worse, and I am starting to get scared. I just wanted to know if

>these symptoms are thyroid related, has anyone felt this way too? I

>am mainly really dizzy, I am also losing concentration at work.

>Should I be investigating these syptoms? Any advise would be great,

>thanks.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks Jan That makes sense because I am noticing little symptoms

coming back like brittle nails, intolerance to cold, swollen neck,

and even puffy face. I just got my levels checked this month

though. Anyway - thanks for your input!

>

> >The past week I have noticed extreme dizziness, headache, joint

pain,

> >been nauseous and even an eye twitch. It is getting progressively

> >worse, and I am starting to get scared. I just wanted to know if

> >these symptoms are thyroid related, has anyone felt this way too?

I

> >am mainly really dizzy, I am also losing concentration at work.

> >Should I be investigating these syptoms? Any advise would be

great,

> >thanks.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Another warning sign for me is yellow palms and yellow around the mouth,

from the unprocessed carotene - that is also before the " big bad symptoms " .

Maybe your antibodies are up?

Jan

mwcislo wrote:

>Thanks Jan That makes sense because I am noticing little symptoms

>coming back like brittle nails, intolerance to cold, swollen neck,

>and even puffy face. I just got my levels checked this month

>though. Anyway - thanks for your input!

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/23/2004 8:19:15 PM Central Standard Time, celestialsecrets@... writes:

They did every test, blood, ekg, cat scan of my head and couldn't find anything wrong, then they decided I had impacted ear wax. They flushed it out and then said if I don't feel any better, I had a inner ear viral infection. Well I still am dizzy but not as bad.

_____

Did they do orthostatic blood pressures? That is.....lying, sitting, standing, looking at both the BP and heart rate in those three positions after being in the position for a minute. This is the most common reason for dizziness I know of....where the BP falls as you get more upright. The other is beniegn paroxysmal positional vertigo.....which has to do with the otoliths and is usually not long lasting. When you go to an ER, they just love to do every test in the book, but sometimes skip the obvious ones, like the orthostatics.

y

Guest guest

Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or laying down?

I had this happen this past Saturday and I went to the Emergency Room

because I was worried just having the hips replaced 4 weeks ago, if it was

related or something.

, I had a number of unusual symptoms post op. I kept having hot

flashes. I also felt a bit like I was going to faint when I would stand.

I think it might have had something to do with the anesthesia. It has since

gone away. Hope that helps, Vera

Guest guest

Hi, Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or laying down?

ALL I KNOW IS THAT MY PAIN PILLS CAN CAUSE DIZZINESS. DO YOURS SAY THAT?MARGE

He lives!

Guest guest

" celestialsecrets " <celestialsecrets@...>

Subject: Dizziness

Hi,

Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or

laying down? I had this happen this past Saturday and I went to the

Emergency Room because I was worried just having the hips replaced 4

weeks ago, if it was related or something.

They did every test, blood, ekg, cat scan of my head and couldn't

find anything wrong, then they decided I had impacted ear wax. They

flushed it out and then said if I don't feel any better, I had a

inner ear viral infection. Well I still am dizzy but not as bad.

Checking your blood pressure in different situations is probably very

helpful. Perhaps one of your new meds is interfering with something you

were already on.

BPPV is pretty easy to diagnose-the doc will do a sort of tilt test

(you'll be sitting on an exam table so you don't have to worry about

falling) and can be helped. I had an inner ear inflamation right after a

tooth was pulled and had a problem with disequilibrium. I only had " the

spins " once (thank heavens). Instead, I had a feeling of being on a ship

in choppy waters on arising, turning corners, coming off eleavators and

even walking down the sidewalk. It got better

eventually-anti-inflammatories, droping dairy and wheat, supplements, etc.

It was a PITA while it lasted.

Good luck.

Carolyn

Guest guest

Hi Marge,

Sometimes if I get up to fast I feel dizzy or if I'm tired or didn't eat . You ever feel like your going to fall backwards and catch yourself that happen to me also but I think I get that is if something bothering me and old age.

Well you have a good day.

Susiemarge <palybami@...> wrote:

Hi, Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or laying down?

ALL I KNOW IS THAT MY PAIN PILLS CAN CAUSE DIZZINESS. DO YOURS SAY THAT?MARGE

He lives!

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/26/2004 8:12:04 PM Central Standard Time, celestialsecrets@... writes:

I'm still having the room spin when I lay down, turn my head quickly or get up from a laying position. I've been dizzy from sinus infections but I never felt like the room was spinning before

_____

Now that you tell us what brings it on, it is looking like Benign Paroxcysmal Positional Vertigo. you can probably google it. Try BPPV.....

y

Guest guest

My blood pressure was 129/60 that day. I was upset. It usually runs

110/70, so it wasn't the blood pressure y. Thanks

> In a message dated 8/23/2004 8:19:15 PM Central Standard Time,

> celestialsecrets@y... writes:

> They did every test, blood, ekg, cat scan of my head and couldn't

> find anything wrong, then they decided I had impacted ear wax. They

> flushed it out and then said if I don't feel any better, I had a

> inner ear viral infection. Well I still am dizzy but not as bad.

> _____

> Did they do orthostatic blood pressures? That is.....lying,

sitting,

> standing, looking at both the BP and heart rate in those three

positions after being

> in the position for a minute. This is the most common reason for

dizziness I

> know of....where the BP falls as you get more upright. The other

is beniegn

> paroxysmal positional vertigo.....which has to do with the otoliths

and is

> usually not long lasting. When you go to an ER, they just love to

do every test

> in the book, but sometimes skip the obvious ones, like the

orthostatics.

> y

Guest guest

Hi Marge,

I took one pain pill the night before it happened and I thought

maybe that was it but it's been 6 days of not taking a pain pill and

I'm still having the room spin when I lay down, turn my head quickly

or get up from a laying position. I've been dizzy from sinus

infections but I never felt like the room was spinning before. I was

scared. I asked my nurse if it could be the coumadin and she said she

never heard of coumadin making one dizzy.

She Lives Too :)

>

>

>

> Hi,

> Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or

laying down?

>

>

> ALL I KNOW IS THAT MY PAIN PILLS CAN CAUSE DIZZINESS. DO YOURS SAY

THAT?

> MARGE

> He lives!

Guest guest

> > Did anyone experience dizziness upon rising up from the bed or

laying down?

I had a problem with dizziness. They finally decided that my blood

pressure was too low. I went off my blood pressure medicine,

received a transfusion & did not have any more problems.

Please be careful with this even after you go home. At three weeks

post op, I got up at night, lost my balance & fell. I did not

dislocate my hip but I broke that leg. The doctors decided I was

dizzy & thatis what caused the fall. They made sure my blood

pressure was under control before the sent me home after my second

surgery.

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

I haven’t exactly experienced full

dizziness but definitely the light headed feeling and more so when the weather

is hot. I should also add that I have low blood pressure to so this could be

related. If you’re seeing a doctor re your sinus it may well be worth

mentioning it to him.

Cheers

Sent: Tuesday, 10 January 2006

12:40 AM

samters

Subject: dizziness

Has anyone ever experienced a tremendous amount of dizziness with their

Samters and sinus stuff?

I have been feeling weird for a couple of days and dizziness is one of

the symptoms. I'm thinking and hoping the dizziness is probably just

related to the sinuses, which have been acting up lately.

Lori in NY

Guest guest

Lori,

I have not really been dizzy, but have certainly felt light headed

especially if I am having a sinus headache. I did mention to my ENT

who felt that it could be related.

Rose

>

> Has anyone ever experienced a tremendous amount of dizziness with

their Samters and sinus stuff?

>

> I have been feeling weird for a couple of days and dizziness is

one of the symptoms. I'm thinking and hoping the dizziness is

probably just related to the sinuses, which have been acting up

lately.

>

> Lori in NY

>

Guest guest

Hi Lori,

I have had extreme vertigo attacks since I was a child. I noticed that

when I ate too much cheese, it would bring on an attack. As an adult,

I can't pinpoint the cause, but always thought it was connected to my

sinuses and ears. I have an attack of vertigo about 2 times a year,

and it lasts for 24 hours. So, it may be an inner ear thing. Have you

had a cold lately? Also, have you had your iron checked lately? I

think anemia can cause dizziness.

Elaine (NY)

>

> Has anyone ever experienced a tremendous amount of dizziness with

their Samters and sinus stuff?

>

> I have been feeling weird for a couple of days and dizziness is one

of the symptoms. I'm thinking and hoping the dizziness is probably

just related to the sinuses, which have been acting up lately.

>

> Lori in NY

>

Guest guest

Lori, I had a brief ( a few minutes) dizzy spell right after irrigating. I think I may I have bent my head sideways to get at another sinus cavity that may have affected my ears. I do get a lot of swooshing past my ears sometimes after I blow my nose after irrigating. cheapskate100 <cheapskate100@...> wrote: Hi Lori,I have had extreme vertigo attacks since I was a child. I noticed thatwhen I ate too much cheese, it would bring on an attack. As an adult,I can't pinpoint the cause, but always thought it was connected to mysinuses and ears. I have an attack of vertigo about 2 times a year,and it lasts for 24 hours. So, it may be an inner ear thing. Have youhad a cold lately? Also, have you had your iron checked lately? Ithink anemia can cause

dizziness.Elaine (NY)>> Has anyone ever experienced a tremendous amount of dizziness withtheir Samters and sinus stuff?> > I have been feeling weird for a couple of days and dizziness is oneof the symptoms. I'm thinking and hoping the dizziness is probablyjust related to the sinuses, which have been acting up lately.> > Lori in NY>

Photos – Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover Photo Books. You design it and we’ll bind it!