I always thought that iodine was mainly good for the thyroid. I do

understand that the thyroid and adrenals are related somewhat. Do

you have any information on the direct link between iodine and the

adrenals?

I do agree with you about colonics, although colonics have their

place.

GB

>

> > I have a question about adrenal fatigue.

>

> Iodine is the recommended way to rehabilitate the adrenals in most

(but

> not all) cases. This is admittedly one are where my knowledge is

> lacking, so hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime

in...

>

> The best form of iodine that I have found, thanks to

'ransley' (thank

> you sir!) on another list, is something called magnascent. It is

much

> more potent and bio-available than Lugols, which is what I had been

> using/recommending before...

>

> http://www.magnascent.com

Guest guest

> I always thought that iodine was mainly good for the thyroid. I do

> understand that the thyroid and adrenals are related somewhat. Do

> you have any information on the direct link between iodine and the

> adrenals?

Actually, I meant to write more, but was in a hurry...

The thyroid actually controls the adrenals and very often - more often

than not, I personally believe - the symptoms of adrenal fatigue are

actually caused by an under active thyroid - which is why iodine is

usually the best method of treatment.

But this is the supplemental approach, which I tend to avoid, except for

addressing specific issues while the body is rebuilding...

For cases of actual adrenal fatigue (and any other chronic illness), the

only real answer is a lifestyle change, because it is the old lifestyle

that got you there...

The very first and most important thing to do is determine your

Metabolic Type, then start eating right for your metabolic type. Gotta

stop the garbage in, first and foremost.

Second is eliminate all processed foods (white flour/sugar, etc).

Next is to start a series of whole body cleanses, starting with the

entire digestive tract (homozon to just under bowel tolerance to keep

them moving, herbal foods to break up the crap (arise & shine's chomper is

my favorite for this), herbal superfoods (I like 'Natures First Food'

from www.rawfood.com), and finally, clay/charcoal slurries to draw out

the crap as fast as possible, and minimize the 'cleansing/detox' (aka

'herx') reactions that all of this cleansing will cause.

Once you have made progress with the digestive tract cleansing, continue

with that, and add some liver/gall bladder flushes (I prefer Saul

Pressmans method) - do these until no more stones come out.

Well, I could go on, but you get my drift... and I'm sure none of this

is new to most people here...

> I do agree with you about colonics, although colonics have their

> place.

Of course - I thought I made that clear... ;)

Guest guest

Hi Lizzie

Unfortunately, there are very few NHS doctors who know about the adrenal/thyroid connection. My own endocrinologist is a love, and recommends Armour for me and encourages me to campaign for Armour to be used as an alternative treatment for those who don't do well on thyroxine, but he does not believe adrenals play any part in this game, and tries to discourage me from bringing up this issue with physicians. I doubt therefore, that if your cortisol test is returned within the normal range, Dr B will take this further.

You should complete the Adrenal Questionnaire that is in our Files. Either click FILES at the bottom of this message or go to our Home Page and click FILES in the Menu. Scroll down until you see the Questionnaire. See how you score. Your actual drop in BP isn't tool bad - some people drop by a great number of points. I myself, dropped over 20 points when I was first tested.

You are probably still feeling rough because as yet, you are not on the right dose of L-thyroxine and also, you have not been on treatment for very long at all. See what your blood test results show and talk it over with Dr B. You must get your Free T4 and Free T3 tested to see if you are converting the inactive T4 into the active T3. If you are not, and this will be shown by your FT3 being low (and probably your FT4 being highish) then you will need some T3 adding to your T4, or you might ask him if you can have a trial of Armour Thyroid (natural thyroid extract) as this contains all the thyroid hormones you need. Often achiness is caused through a lack of T3 as T3 has to get into every cell to make your body function properly. Without T3, your muscles have a pretty rough time of things.

Luv - Sheila

Hi everyone,I'm due to see Dr Burrows on Friday, my birthday hope he can give mesome good news! He has done a barrel full of tests including T3 andthyroid antibodies. I have just checked my bp on waking it was 110/68but on standing it was 107/72 this is the first time I have known itto drop on standing on frequent testing. I have also tested my pupilsby shining a light onto the side of my eye. The pupil contractsinitially but while counting for 30 seconds and observing the pupilflutters somewhat it dosent totally dilate but appears not to remaintightly constriced - hope this makes sense. Do you think this mayindicate adrenal fatigue. Dr Burrows was sceptical when I mentioned myresearch about this condition bur he is testing for cortisol. I amstill suffering with the aching limbs and my joints feel stiffespecially on an evening and still feeling tired but I'm very up anddown. Have been taking 75mcg levothyroxine at bedtime for last fourweeks since seeing him. I think my energy levels may have improvedslightly but the achiness hasn't. Anyway sorry to be rambling on. Willlet you know how I get on, I have been reluctant to do any privatetesting as yet as I wanted to see if Dr Burrows could get to thebottom of it. Happy new year to you all.lizzie

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1206 - Release Date: 01/01/2008 12:09

Guest guest

>

Hi sheila

Thankyou for your swift reply, I have actually been on levothyroxine

since September 2006 but have been on differing amounts , in September

of this year I reduced from 87.5mcg to 75 mcg to see if it was the

fact that my muscles were aching because I was on too high a dose, but

this seems to not be the case.

Love Lizzie

Guest guest

Get a FULL thyroid function test and then we can take it from there olnce you have the results. Always post the reference ranges with each result. Dr Burrows is very good and he will test your Free T3, which is important and the laboratory will do the test , instead, like many throughout the UK, deciding such a test is unnecessary.

Luv - Sheila

>Hi sheilaThankyou for your swift reply, I have actually been on levothyroxinesince September 2006 but have been on differing amounts , in Septemberof this year I reduced from 87.5mcg to 75 mcg to see if it was thefact that my muscles were aching because I was on too high a dose, butthis seems to not be the case.Love Lizzie

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1206 - Release Date: 01/01/2008 12:09

Guest guest

>Get

> a FULL thyroid function test and then we can take it from there

Hi Sheila,

Yes Dr Burrows did (on 7th Dec) TFT's, T3, ferritin, cholesterol,

blood sugar, fbc nearly all the tests on the standard form and 3

bottles full of blood. I am hoping this will lead to some answers. He

was very nice and understanding so hopefully I will get to the botom

of this. I'm not going to give up on this quietly, I have waited long

enough for an improvement that hasn't really occured and as a wife and

mother of 3 I owe it to my family to get back to full health.

love lizzie

Guest guest

>Hi everyone

Saw Dr Burrows this morning, I am feeling a little down because he

says all my blood tests have come back normal T4 13.2 ref [8 - 24] T3

4.2 and TSH 0.63 my ferritin was 15 which was at the bottom of normal.

I was taking 75 mcg levothyroxine which I had reduced down from

87.5mcg because of leg cramps. He wasn't happy to prescribe a trial of

Armour even though I am feeling more tired and muscles aching and

depressed. He decided to prescribe 10mcg of T3 and to continue with 75

mcg of levothyroxine and to take it all at night. I just wondered why

T3 if I am converting ok as he stated I was and isn't T3 active and

won't it keep me awake at night. Is the T3 added similar to having an

increase in levothyroxine and if so does anyone know what the

equivalent dose of levothyroxine is? hope this makes sense, sorry for

rambling on a bit I was just hoping that today would give me some

answers and I feel confused and disappointed.

He didn't think that adrenal fatigue was connected with the thyroid

at all.

Love Lizzie

> >Get

> > a FULL thyroid function test and then we can take it from there

>

> Hi Sheila,

> Yes Dr Burrows did (on 7th Dec) TFT's, T3, ferritin, cholesterol,

> blood sugar, fbc nearly all the tests on the standard form and 3

> bottles full of blood. I am hoping this will lead to some answers. He

>

Guest guest

Don't feel down Lizzie, be guided by Dr Burrows. I think we all expect so much and want to get better so quickly naturally, but it is a fact that when treating hypothyroidism, there is a lot needing to be taken into account, and with the present state of the NHS and the BTA's statements on Armour Thyroid and Statement on treating with T4/T3 combination therapy, it is no wonder medical practitioners would rather treat by going down their NHS mainstream conventional therapy. At least, Dr Burrows has suggested that you take the synthetic combination therapy route, and I think that is absolutely right. Many people do well on T4/T3 treatment - so see how you go.

I am surprised he has asked you to take your T3 at night - I agree with taking thyroxine at night, so continue with that. T3 is the active hormone and is needed to make your body function (and this may get rid of your awful leg cramps) but I would be reluctant to take it all at night. I would opt to take it first thing in the morning and see how that works out. I think 10 mcgs will be OK without you getting any adverse reaction, but if you do well on it (and you probably will) you might need it increasing at a later date. It is when you start taking, say 20 mcgs that it is better to take half early in the morning and the other half in the afternoon as T3 has a very short half life (6 to 8 hours). I would have asked Dr Burrows why he recommended you take it all at night - as I would be interested. Can you phone him and ask for an explanation?

I told you I didn't believe he would draw on the connection with thyroid and adrenals. One of these days, we will have to send out information to all the NHS endocrinologists to update their training.

Did he make any suggestion about boosting your Ferritin level. Your thyroid hormone replacement will not be absorbed by your body efficiently until your Ferritin level is boosted to about 70. With a level of 15, you need something like Ferrous Sulphate. If you do take any iron supplementation, please do not take it anywhere near your thyroid hormone replacement. Take about 3 to 4 hours away as one cancels out the other.

Luv - Sheila

Saw Dr Burrows this morning, I am feeling a little down because hesays all my blood tests have come back normal T4 13.2 ref [8 - 24] T34.2 and TSH 0.63 my ferritin was 15 which was at the bottom of normal.I was taking 75 mcg levothyroxine which I had reduced down from87.5mcg because of leg cramps. He wasn't happy to prescribe a trial ofArmour even though I am feeling more tired and muscles aching anddepressed. He decided to prescribe 10mcg of T3 and to continue with 75mcg of levothyroxine and to take it all at night. I just wondered whyT3 if I am converting ok as he stated I was and isn't T3 active andwon't it keep me awake at night. Is the T3 added similar to having anincrease in levothyroxine and if so does anyone know what theequivalent dose of levothyroxine is? hope this makes sense, sorry forrambling on a bit I was just hoping that today would give me someanswers and I feel confused and disappointed.He didn't think that adrenal fatigue was connected with the thyroidat all.Love Lizzie >

Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 02/01/2008 11:29

Guest guest

> Hi sheila

No Dr Burrows said that he had not heard of a connection between low

ferritin and not converting T4 properly, he seemed to dismiss my low

level at the bottom of normal and said that my hb was normal, no

mention was made of taking an iron supplement. Do you think I ought to

be taking one and can I buy one from over the counter?

I will try to pluck up the courage to contact him regarding taking the

T3 at night although he just said take it with your other tablets at

night if thats when you are taking the levothyroxine. Why do you think

he has suggested I take T3 if I am converting this is confusing me

somewhat? I should have asked more at the time but was quite

overwhelmed that all the test results were normal.

Love Lizzie

>

>

> I am surprised he has asked you to take your T3 at night - I agree

with taking thyroxine at night, so continue with that. T3 is the

active hormone and is needed to make your body function (and this may

get rid of your awful leg cramps) but I would be reluctant to take it

all at night. I would opt to take it first thing in the morning and

see how that works out. I think 10 mcgs will be OK without you getting

any adverse reaction, but if you do well on it (and you probably will)

you might need it increasing at a later date. It is when you start

taking, say 20 mcgs that it is better to take half early in the

morning and the other half in the afternoon as T3 has a very short

half life (6 to 8 hours). I would have asked Dr Burrows why he

recommended you take it all at night - as I would be interested. Can

you phone him and ask for an explanation?

>

>

> Did he make any suggestion about boosting your Ferritin level. Your

thyroid hormone replacement will not be absorbed by your body

efficiently until your Ferritin level is boosted to about 70. With a

level of 15, you need something like Ferrous Sulphate. If you do take

any iron supplementation, please do not take it anywhere near your

thyroid hormone replacement. Take about 3 to 4 hours away as one

cancels out the other.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

> t

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with

an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

>

> Change settings via the Web ( ID required)

> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest |

Switch format to Traditional

> Visit Your Group | Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent

Activity

> a.. 16New Members

> Visit Your Group

>

> Get cancer support

>

> Connect w/ others

>

> find help & share

>

> FruitaBü Parents

> Healthy Eating Zone

>

> A parenting resource

>

> on .

>

> Health

> Fit for Life

>

> Getting fit is now

>

> easier than ever.

> .

>

>

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date:

02/01/2008 11:29

>

Guest guest

Hi Lizzie

I am surprised that Dr B is unaware of low thyroid/low ferritin connection, and also that he believes that because you have normal hb. Low iron is different from low ferritin. Low Iron measures the amount of iron circulating in your bloodstream. Ferritin is your storage iron, or the iron you have tucked away for future use. You can have "normal" iron serum levels, yet a low Ferritin. It is the main protein that stores iron for areas that need it, especially the liver and the bone marrow (the inside cavity in bones, where blood cells are made).

Now - tol the thyroid connection. Biologically, insufficient iron levels may be affecting the first two of three steps of thyroid hormone synthesis by reducing the activity of the enzyme thyroid peroxidase, which is dependent on iron. Iron deficiency, in turn, may also alter thyroid metabolism and reduce the conversion of T4 to T3, besides modifying the binding of T3. Additionally, low iron levels can increase circulating concentrations of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone).Iron, in addition to iodine, selenium and zinc, are essential for normal thyroid hormone metabolism. Serum ferritin levels are measured in patients as part of the iron studies workup for anemia and for restless leg syndrome. The ferritin levels measured have a direct correlation with the total amount of iron stored in the body. If ferritin is low there is a risk for lack in iron which sooner or later could lead to anemia. Low ferritin levels have been associated with symptoms of restless leg syndrome even in the absence of anemia.If you go to our FILES where we have a wealth of information, scroll down until you see a document about Low ferritin and there you will find the recommendations about treatment.

I have no idea why Dr B recommended you take the T3 at night as T3 only remains 'active' for a short time. Even though you appear to be converting, you may not be converting enough. Some people need more T3 than others and the fact that you have these pains may (or may not) be because you haven't enough. If your pains go away because the T3 is reaching the places it didn't before, you will be kept on a colmbination therapy, but if they don't go away, you might need tweaking by adding more T4. For some of us, it is a question of experimenting before we can get our medication right.

Luv - Sheila

>> > > Hi sheila> No Dr Burrows said that he had not heard of a connection between low> ferritin and not converting T4 properly, he seemed to dismiss my low> level at the bottom of normal and said that my hb was normal, no> mention was made of taking an iron supplement. Do you think I ought to> be taking one and can I buy one from over the counter?> I will try to pluck up the courage to contact him regarding taking the> T3 at night although he just said take it with your other tablets at> night if thats when you are taking the levothyroxine. Why do you think> he has suggested I take T3 if I am converting this is confusing me> somewhat? I should have asked more at the time but was quite> overwhelmed that all the test results were normal.> > Love Lizzie> > >

Guest guest

Hi Lizzie,

Well best to try it as instructed at first- you have to give

their advice a try, even if it is eventually discarded.

I'd tend to agree with you and think that T3 would be best taken at first

waking as it is immediately active- after all with T4 there is lag as it has

to be converted first.

If you can convert then it 'should' be the same as an increase in T4, but

in reality that may not be the case as who knows what actually goes on in

each individual tests or no tests!

There are few docs who acknowledge that ther may be an adrenal connection

so no surprise there.

He decided to prescribe 10mcg of T3 and to continue with 75

mcg of levothyroxine and to take it all at night. I just wondered why

T3 if I am converting ok as he stated I was and isn't T3 active and

won't it keep me awake at night. Is the T3 added similar to having an

increase in levothyroxine and if so does anyone know what the

equivalent dose of levothyroxine is? ...........

He didn't think that adrenal fatigue was connected with the thyroid

at all.

Love Lizzie

> >Get

> > a FULL thyroid function test and then we can take it from there

>

> Hi Sheila,

> Yes Dr Burrows did (on 7th Dec) TFT's, T3, ferritin, cholesterol,

> blood sugar, fbc nearly all the tests on the standard form and 3

> bottles full of blood. I am hoping this will lead to some answers. He

>

Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Always

consult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

HI jenny

Can you somehow differentiate between your response and the message you are responding to as it's a bit tricky to read sometimes. You could just put > in front of the first word of the message you are responding to.

Luv - Sheila

Hi Lizzie,Well best to try it as instructed at first- you have to givetheir advice a try, even if it is eventually discarded. I'd tend to agree with you and think that T3 would be best taken at firstwaking as it is immediately active- after all with T4 there is lag as it hasto be converted first.If you can convert then it 'should' be the same as an increase in T4, butin reality that may not be the case as who knows what actually goes on ineach individual tests or no tests!There are few docs who acknowledge that ther may be an adrenal connectionso no surprise there.He decided to prescribe 10mcg of T3 and to continue with 75mcg of levothyroxine and to take it all at night. I just wondered whyT3 if I am converting ok as he stated I was and isn't T3 active andwon't it keep me awake at night. Is the T3 added similar to having anincrease in levothyroxine and if so does anyone know what theequivalent dose of levothyroxine is? ...........He didn't think that adrenal fatigue was connected with the thyroidat all.Love Lizzie > >Get > > a FULL thyroid function test and then we can take it from there > > Hi Sheila,> Yes Dr Burrows did (on 7th Dec) TFT's, T3, ferritin, cholesterol,> blood sugar, fbc nearly all the tests on the standard form and 3> bottles full of blood. I am hoping this will lead to some answers. He>Messages are not a substitute for professional medical advice. Alwaysconsult with a suitably qualified practitioner before changing medication.

Guest guest

>

>

>

>

> I am surprised that Dr B is unaware of low thyroid/low ferritin

> connection, and also that he believes that because you have normal hb.

> Hi Sheila

Thankyou for all your advice. I have read the information about low

ferritin in your files and taken it on board. I'm not really sure what

to do now. Obviously Dr Burrows didn't think it was an issue that my

ferritin level was at the bottom of normal so I don't think there

would be any point in me contacting him regarding this as I did bring

it up at the appointment. I'm considering booking to see my Gp to ask

for a prescription for ferrous sulphate but think that he will refuse

as I am currently under the care of Dr Burrows. I am going to increase

my iron intake through diet as much as I can [one thing I have

discovered is that every day for breakfast for the last 3 years I have

had oats so simple - however I was unaware until today that it

contains lecithin (soya) which we know is not good for our thyroid so

I will be stopping that immeadiatly ( it also does not contain any

iron) and swapping it for a fortified breakfast cereal and some

wholemeal toast. Hopefully this will help a little. Do you think I may

be best buying a multivitamin with iron over the counter and just

going with this - I really don't want to get on the wrong side of Dr

Burrows or my GP and feel that by questioning them I may well do so. I

think they already think I read too much on the internet and think

that I am gullible, which is quite the opposite. Dr Burrows has given

me a form for a further blood test in three months but he is not

testing the ferritin level again. Sorry to be rambling on again. I

have decided to take my T3 in the morning and took the first one

today, there is no information with the tablets but I am presuming I

take it on an empty stomach like the levothyroxine.

Thankyou for all your support it really has been a lifeline for me and

a comfort to know that there are people out there who understand what

we are going through.

Love Lizzie

Guest guest

Re Dr Burrows and Ferritin

Hi Lizzie, I am also under Dr Burrows and he often says things like there is a lot of rubbish on the internet, but I still think he is one of the best around for thyroid illness - he is certainly getting me back to normal. I think sometimes consultants arent as good as GPs for bog standard primary care, they are the specialists and although I think he should know about ferritin, I think you would be better going to your GP re this issue.

Gill

Recent Activity

New Members

New FilesVisit Your Group

Get cancer support

Connect w/ others

find help & share

FruitaBü Group

A Parent´s Place

to share ideas on

family cooking.

Health

Looking for Love?

Find relationship

advice and answers.

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.6/1192 - Release Date: 21/12/07 13:17

Guest guest

Hi Gill,

This is so encouraging that you find Dr Burrows so good. That gives me

great hope.

Love,

Barb

Guest guest

Hi Lizzie

You seem to be getting a grasp on understanding the issues surround thyroid disease. However, I do not thionk that a diet rich in iron will make much difference to your ferritin because you really DO need to get a good supplement. You can buy Ferrous Sulphate from your health food shop, but you would need to get a high dose to start with to boost your iron levels. You might be surprised as to how much better you will feel after you have been taking it for a while. By all means though, do get foods rich in iron added to your food.

Luv - Sheila

Thankyou for all your advice. I have read the information about lowferritin in your files and taken it on board. I'm not really sure whatto do now. Obviously Dr Burrows didn't think it was an issue that myferritin level was at the bottom of normal so I don't think therewould be any point in me contacting him regarding this as I did bringit up at the appointment. I'm considering booking to see my Gp to askfor a prescription for ferrous sulphate but think that he will refuseas I am currently under the care of Dr Burrows. I am going to increasemy iron intake through diet as much as I can [one thing I havediscovered is that every day for breakfast for the last 3 years I havehad oats so simple - however I was unaware until today that itcontains lecithin (soya) which we know is not good for our thyroid soI will be stopping that immeadiatly ( it also does not contain anyiron) and swapping it for a fortified breakfast cereal and somewholemeal toast. Hopefully this will help a little. Do you think I maybe best buying a multivitamin with iron over the counter and justgoing with this - I really don't want to get on the wrong side of DrBurrows or my GP and feel that by questioning them I may well do so. Ithink they already think I read too much on the internet and thinkthat I am gullible, which is quite the opposite. Dr Burrows has givenme a form for a further blood test in three months but he is nottesting the ferritin level again. Sorry to be rambling on again. Ihave decided to take my T3 in the morning and took the first onetoday, there is no information with the tablets but I am presuming Itake it on an empty stomach like the levothyroxine. Thankyou for all your support it really has been a lifeline for me anda comfort to know that there are people out there who understand whatwe are going through.Love Lizzie

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1207 - Release Date: 02/01/2008 11:29

Guest guest

--- Hi Sheila,

I bought some iron tablets yesterday from tesco which contain 14mg

ferrous fumerate to be taken daily. I am planning on taking them at

lunch time with my meal, do you think the dose is high enough or

should I double it for a while? If this is not the right thing could

you recommend a dose of ferrous sulphate.

Thankyou Lizzie

> You seem to be getting a grasp on understanding the issues surround

thyroid disease. However, I do not thionk that a diet rich in iron

will make much difference to your ferritin because you really DO need

to get a good supplement. You can buy Ferrous Sulphate from your

health food shop, but you would need to get a high dose to start with

to boost your iron levels. You might be surprised as to how much

better you will feel after you have been taking it for a while. By all

means though, do get foods rich in iron added to your food.

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

I think those on Ferrous Sulphate take about 200 mcgs to start with but those of you who have been treated for low ferritin level will no doubt come and tell me if this is wrong. the amount you have bought is for the average daily requirements, but as you are so low, you need a larger dose to get you back to normal.

I would ask your local pharmacist what dose you should take if you don't wish to discuss this with your doctor. Tell him you have a very low result when testing your ferritin level, in a reference range of 20 to 200. He should be able to advise you.

Luv - Sheila

--- Hi Sheila,I bought some iron tablets yesterday from tesco which contain 14mgferrous fumerate to be taken daily. I am planning on taking them atlunch time with my meal, do you think the dose is high enough orshould I double it for a while? If this is not the right thing couldyou recommend a dose of ferrous sulphate.Thankyou Lizzie> You seem to be getting a grasp on understanding the issues surroundthyroid disease. However, I do not thionk that a diet rich in ironwill make much difference to your ferritin because you really DO needto get a good supplement. You can buy Ferrous Sulphate from yourhealth food shop, but you would need to get a high dose to start withto boost your iron levels. You might be surprised as to how muchbetter you will feel after you have been taking it for a while. By allmeans though, do get foods rich in iron added to your food.> > Luv - Sheila> > > > >

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date: 05/01/2008 11:46

Guest guest

>

> I think those on Ferrous Sulphate take about 200 mcgs to start with

but those of you who have been treated for low ferritin level will no

doubt come and tell me if this is wrong.

You are spot on with the amount but this like everything else needs to

be raised gradually. Start low and raise to 200mg but if you get any

stomach problems try a different brand. Depending on how low your

ferritin is the time it takes to get to the good point (between 70-90).

You will start to feel a tad better when you get in the 40 range but

always take iron with a vit C as this helps to absorb the iron.

My ferritin was below the bottom of the range and it took 7 months to

get to 80 in the range.

The link with thyroid is that low ferritin mimics the symptoms of

hypo. I believe it does stop or diminish the thyroid hormone as I was

taking very large amounts of thyroid hormone and have to reduce

drastically.

Jean

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date:

05/01/2008 11:46

>

Guest guest

Hi Jean

Long time - no hear! How are you, and how is Ron - and have you finally completed your move? Are you walking for longer periods yet and managing to go without your 'buggy'?

Luv - Sheila

You are spot on with the amount but this like everything else needs tobe raised gradually. Start low and raise to 200mg but if you get anystomach problems try a different brand. Depending on how low yourferritin is the time it takes to get to the good point (between 70-90).You will start to feel a tad better when you get in the 40 range butalways take iron with a vit C as this helps to absorb the iron.My ferritin was below the bottom of the range and it took 7 months toget to 80 in the range.The link with thyroid is that low ferritin mimics the symptoms ofhypo. I believe it does stop or diminish the thyroid hormone as I wastaking very large amounts of thyroid hormone and have to reducedrastically.Jean> > > >----------------------------------------------------------> > > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG Free Edition. > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date:05/01/2008 11:46>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date: 05/01/2008 11:46

Guest guest

--

> You will start to feel a tad better when you get in the 40 range but

> always take iron with a vit C as this helps to absorb the iron.

>

> > Hello Jean

Thankyou for your advice about ferrous sulphate. When you say to take

with vitamin c do you mean a vitamin c tablet or a vitamin c drink

such as fresh orange juice. Was your GP happy to prescribe it for you?

Love Lizzie

>

> >

> >

> >

>

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date:

> 05/01/2008 11:46

> >

>

Guest guest

Sorry to be jumping in here, but you should be taking 1000mgs of Vitamin C Daily Lizzie.

Luv - Sheila

--> You will start to feel a tad better when you get in the 40 range but> always take iron with a vit C as this helps to absorb the iron.> > > Hello JeanThankyou for your advice about ferrous sulphate. When you say to takewith vitamin c do you mean a vitamin c tablet or a vitamin c drinksuch as fresh orange juice. Was your GP happy to prescribe it for you?Love Lizzie> > > > > > >>----------------------------------------------------------> > > > > > No virus found in this incoming message.> > Checked by AVG Free Edition. > > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date:> 05/01/2008 11:46> >>

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 06/01/2008 11:57

Guest guest

>

> --

I took 500mg of vit c with every dose of iron - split your iron up so

you are not taking it all at once as this can cause stomach upsets.

My GP has not had anything to do with my thyroid status for 2 years

as I refuse to let them mess me about. I see a private doctor who

tested me for everything and that was when the low ferritin was found.

I bought different types and found one that suited me. The one your

GP will probably prescribe will be okay but they will only prescribe

low dosage ones which you will have to take more of. Get one that

comes in 50mg capsules and start off with one a day and see if it

suits and if it does increase slowly to 4 a day and stay there but do

get tested after 3 months to see how you are going.

Jean

> >

> > > Hello Jean

> Thankyou for your advice about ferrous sulphate. When you say to

take

> with vitamin c do you mean a vitamin c tablet or a vitamin c drink

> such as fresh orange juice. Was your GP happy to prescribe it for

you?

> Love Lizzie

>

>

>

>

> >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

> > >

> > >

> > > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release

Date:

> > 05/01/2008 11:46

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

>

Hi Sheila

>

Ron is recovering very well and we are settling in very nicely

although we still cannot find things.

I am doing okay and have not used my buggy for months. I am managing

to do everything but still get off days and energy slumps but I

beleive the healing process goes on for a long time - when I consider

this time last year I was still getting very tired even using the

buggy it shows an immense improvement.

I haven't been to see Dr Hertoghe yet but do ring the clinc if I have

a problem.

Jean

>

> Long time - no hear! How are you, and how is Ron - and have you

finally completed your move? Are you walking for longer periods yet

and managing to go without your 'buggy'?

>

> Luv - Sheila

>

>

>

>

>

>

> >

> >

> >

> ----------------------------------------------------------

> >

> >

> > No virus found in this incoming message.

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> > Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release

Date:

> 05/01/2008 11:46

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1210 - Release Date:

05/01/2008 11:46

>

Guest guest

Lizzie

Also remember that taking iron can cause your stools to be black, and and a tendency to become constipated, so make sure you take plenty of fibre.

Luv - Sheila

I bought different types and found one that suited me. The one your GP will probably prescribe will be okay but they will only prescribe low dosage ones which you will have to take more of. Get one that comes in 50mg capsules and start off with one a day and see if it suits and if it does increase slowly to 4 a day and stay there but do get tested after 3 months to see how you are going.Jean

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.17.13/1211 - Release Date: 06/01/2008 11:57