RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

driving

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, I was pleasantly surprised that the driving was just fine from Day 1, after I resumed it - about 8 wks. post op.. I drive a VW bug and was really worried as they are so low to the ground - we didn't need the added expense of getting me a different car - but it has worked out just fine.(I am fused T4-S1.)

Jane n San Diego

>> I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving after > revision?> Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work, currently I am > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and the > pain to increase. > which of course is making me take off more.> > >

Guest guest

Cam, We also have a Honda Crv and a Honda civic which is the car I normally drive because I community it saves on gas/but here lately I find it easier to drive the CRV/so we have been talking about trading in the civic and getting my husband a truck and me keep driving the CRV/so it is good to know you have a CRV and can get in or out easy.......... I guess what I was really trying to find out is when I am cleared to drive, does driving long distances harder saying about 3-4 months after surgery? cammaltby <cammaltby@...> wrote: ,I think it is reasonable to expect to return to driving...but it probably will not be right after surgery, and there are a number of reasons why it wouldn't be all that safe early on. Your doctor will give you an expectation...but I don't think you will find yourself doing much more than around town, local driving for close to 12 weeks after surgery if you are fused to the sacrum. Until that fusion starts to come together it is pretty critical that you not attempt to twist.The vehicle itself will matter too. Most of us, depending on our height, have found an SUV style car or a minivan more comfortable to get in and out of...they tend to be higher off the groud and have big and tall doors that you can get in and our of without whacking your head (since you can't bend at the waist any longer). You will also notice that

no car seat has enough lumbar support for your new and permanant lordosis. A small pillow will almost certainly become a fixture in your car. With time, you will be able to do without a pillow...but if you are travelling long distances or commuting you will probably prefer to have one.We have a Honda CR-v and a small ford ranger pickup. I can say that even though it is not painful, I detest driving in the truck nowadays. I believe this is because there is very little adjustment available in the seat angles and I just feel unnatural in the position the seat is in. I don't know if this is really something you can anticipate before you get your "new body" posture. I will say that you really will want to have a vehicle that has a hand hold over the door forever to facilitating getting in and out of the car. In the early post surgery days it is necessary to do it without twisting...and later on it is useful because it

makes it easier to swing out and upright without the "bend".Long story short....I bet by the time you are cleared to return to work, with any luck, with the right vehicle, driving should be possible, if not completely comfortable at first. I think I noticed every bump and irregularity in the road for the first 6 months...then it stopped.Take Care, Cam

It's here! Your new message!Get

new email alerts with the free Toolbar.

Guest guest

Diane, My gosh You have been through alot, you are a very strong woman I am so glad you shared that story with me. When I first was blindsighted with all this, I was very depressed and I kept on asking GOD to just end my life........I just couldn't deal with it, I am a very active person. I raised 3 girls (well realy 2 because I met my present husband when my youngest just turned 2) basically by myself, my ex was verbally abusive and made me feel ugly because of my scoli. I was married to my ex when I had my originial scoli operation and I had to depend on him for everything and I mean everything (personal needs) cause I was in a body cast for about a month then in a brace that extended down one leg. During that period he cheated on me and he excused it by telling me "look at you, nobody would want you", of course I forgave him and continued with that for so many years, cause I really thought I was deformed. I have grown

stronger because of all that, and that is why I normally do not depend on anbody. Anyways its a long story but what I am trying to say was when I found out I need to have revision surgery all those memories came flooding back, I cried to my oldest daughter (22 yrs old) I kept telling her its going to happen again, I just wanted to die. So after hearing you story, you make me feel stonger........thank you Question I am currently on Lyrica and Cymbalta do those medication have side effects if I stop taking them abrutly? "Diane B." <roziedb@...> wrote: Hi , Thanx for responding. Sorry you have a broken water heater but it gave you a day off anyway :) I put it EVERYWHERE that I was on these meds. I was on a Fentanyl Drip after surgery so I was to out of it to even think about things like that & my husband Jim assumed since it was listed in at least 6 places on my chart that they would give me the meds I needed. We had lost my husband's only child at age 27(my step-son since he was 5 )in a car accident about 18 months before my surgery, then we lost my husband's mother the Easter before my surgery. Also while I was in the hospital my husband had to move us from a house we had lived in for 25 yrs to my mother in laws house. My husband was not in the best of shape himself as six months after losing Jimmy he was

diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was doing so well that the Sat after surgery I sent him home to PA. He had been staying in a hotel next to the hospital & it was rather expensive. Neither him or I gave the meds a thought until after I had seizures then we figured out rather quicly why it happened. Neither one of us blames Dr Boachie as the SIX MD's that compromise Pain Management were responsible for my meds. But u know looking bk at all of it I had 2 female MD's as well as general drs & you think they would have noticed, plus all of the nurses should have known as the meds I was on pre-op were written everywhere. I am an RN & I know if something was not right it was up to me to notice & point it out to the dr. I get so angry just thinking about all I went through & it all could have been avoided. It took me until lately to even feel like myself again. I did tell Cam but did not

want to say too much because I did not want to scare anyone facing surgery. I did call Rob before his surgery as he was going to the same hospital & might have had the same pain management team I had. He was not on any medication though that could cause a problem if stopped abruptly. It is a very good thing you were so vigilant regaring your daughters meds. I hope she is now doing well.Take Care,Diane-- In , Streeff <astreeff@...> wrote:>> Diane, > That is awful what happened to you............When my daughter (who has special needs) had recent scoloisis surgery I made sure that the her doctor and the nursing staff at the hospital were informed of her current medication prior to her having surgery, they put it on her chart so they can be ordered for her when she was in the

hospital I was very nervous about it because I had read so many times people can have very bad side effects if they stop taking them.> Well anyways guess what happened her medication was not ordered on her first night there, well I had brought them with me so I was still able to give them to her.> Thank you for your well wishes.> (home today water heater leak)> > "Diane B." <roziedb@...> wrote:> Hi , My revision only ( !!! ) consisted of a posterior incision > this last time so I know if you are having both Ant/Post it may be > different for you. Dr Boachie would not approve driving for 2 or 3 > mts > & am embarrassed to say I didn't listen to him. I was driving again > by > 6wks post op.....................but it was painful & very hard to > get > in & out of most vechiles, though the actual driving itself was not

> too bad. > I had a really upsetting experience 5 > days > after my revision. I have had many, many surgeries before my revision > & > nothing like this had ever happened to me before. Before my revision > I > was in excruciating pain. My dr had me on MS Contin but even with > that > it barely dented it. My dr added Xanax & a yr before surgery I went > on > Welbutrin to help me quit smoking. So when I was admitted I had been > on these meds for quite some time. I had been doing ok after > surgery. > I was admitted on a Thursday & had my surgery that day. Due to a > punctured dura I was kept in the recovery room an extra 2 days & was > not transferred to a step down unit until Sunday. By Tuesday I > finally > made it to a regular room. I was off the pain pump, had my foley out > & > was

doing relatively well for all I had gone through. I was really > happy as even though I had not been out of bed yet I could tell I was > straight again. I remember meeting my room mate & talking to my mom > on > the phone. The next thing I remember it was 2 days later & I was in > ICU with my hands restrained. The hospital had even > hired round the clock nurses to stay with me. I found out later that > they thought I had a stroke but after doing an MRI they ruled that > out. I do know I was so out of it I could not even sign my name & > they had to fax my husband a consent form as Sat I had sent him home > to PA. I had had Grand Mal seizures due to SIX MD'S in Pain > Management cold turkeying me off of the Xanax & Welbutrin. Never in > my life had I had any type of seizures so we are sure it was from > this. I lost my memory for quite awhile & even

when I got home from > rehab was not myself for a very, very long time. I know I never > would have been driving so soon after surgery if I had been myself. > I am an RN & know much better than that. Needless to say it was a > very upsetting situation. > In Nov my husband went out & bought me a small SUV & it was much > easier to get in & out of that. After this type of surgery I believe > most regular cars are difficult to get in & out of. I am sure your > dr wil tell you when u can drive again, and hopefully after surgery > your leg will not go numb anymore and you will have alot less pain.> Take Care,> Diane> > >> > I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving after > >

revision?> > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work, currently > I > am > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and the > > pain to increase. > > which of course is making me take off more.> > > > > >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Don't pick lemons.> See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.>

Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

Guest guest

Jane, I am glad to hear that, I was worried about the commute when I am released to go back to work. Currently my leg pain is the worse when I come home from my commute. nycbeauaqua <nycbeauaqua@...> wrote: , I was pleasantly surprised that the driving was just fine from Day 1, after I resumed it - about 8 wks. post op.. I drive a VW bug and was really worried as they are so low to the ground - we didn't need the added expense of getting me a different car - but it has worked out just fine.(I am fused T4-S1.) Jane n San Diego >> I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving after > revision?> Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work, currently I am > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and the > pain to increase. > which of course is making me take off

more.> > >

Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Small Business.

Guest guest

Hi , Thank you so much for the kind words. As I never looked at

myself as being courageous I also have not looked at myself as being

strong. You just do what you have to do. We have more in common

than our back problems. I also raised 2 sons by myself for 10 yrs

until I met & married my present husband. My oldest was 15 & my

youngest 8 when Jim & I were married. My husband was a widow who

lost his first wife to Malignant Melanoma when Jimmy was 5. I

believe this was one of the reasons it hit so very hard when we lost

him. They had been married 10 yrs & only had one child together. We

had wanted to have a child together but my bk dr at the time told us

not to even think about having children as my bk couldn't take it. I

must say looking back I am sorry now as after what happened to our

Jimmy at least my husband would still have a living child. He is

absolutely the greatest guy, and my heart just breaks for all he has

had to go through. ( even with me.) Since we have been married I

have had to have 6 back operations, open heart surgery ( for a birth

defect noone ever found until I was 48.) plus 2 major abdominal

operations all within 20 yrs. The poor guy is shell shocked & it is

no wonder he is a nervous wreck with anything I do, he is terrified

I will hurt myself & need more surgery.

No wonder you were so upset when your back problems resurfaced. To

have a person who claims to love you treat you so shabbily would hurt

anyones self-esteem. I had never been diagnosed with scoliosis as a

young person. I hurt my back in a fall when I was 17 but never knew

it was so badly hurt until I was 27 & had to have 71/2 hr surgery for

2 herniated disks. In 2000 when I began to pitch fwd until 2005 when

I had my revision I know what it feels like to be & look deformed. I

was literally bent in half by the time of my surgery & had to use a

rolling walker to even get around. Whenever I had to go anywhere

people would stop & stare.........especially kids, it was awful. If

someone who claimed to love me did to me what your ex did to you,

well it would have devestated me also. It was awful enough when

strangers just stared & they were not verbally abusive. You are a

very strong person also & are not giving yourself enough credit.

How long have you been married to your present hubby? Is he

supportive when it comes to your back problems? At least with this

surgery you will not have to depend on anyone for your personal

needs. My bk brace after my revision was a Milaukee Brace & with it

you can attend to your personal needs all by yourself. I don't know

what type your dr will order but I don't know anyone who needed a

body cast after revision. ( I had one of those too after an Ant/Post

Fusion with Harrington Rods that I had done in 85 that was how I got

Fl Bk too )

Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with me. If you ever

have any questions I can answer don't hesitate to ask.

As far as Lyrica & Cymbalta go I will have to look them up as I am

not familiar with them.

Bye For Now,

Diane

> > >

> > > I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving

after

> > > revision?

> > > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work,

> currently

> > I

> > am

> > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and

> the

> > > pain to increase.

> > > which of course is making me take off more.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > Don't pick lemons.

> > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels

> in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

>

Guest guest

I didn't have any problems quitting lyrica, but I think you are not

supposed to abruptly quit cymbalta. Check with your doctor.

>

>

> Question I am currently on Lyrica and Cymbalta do those medication

have side effects if I stop taking them abrutly?

>

>

>

Guest guest

Diane, It is so nice to be able to share stories and have somebody truley understand what you feel and I always felt alone I truely did not know what was wrong with my back, I have always walked hunched over after my scoliosis surgery. I just thought it was the way I healed and I guess dip inside I didn't want to know any different because I was so terrified of having another surgery. My surgery was a nightmare(13 hrs long), I was young (18-19) and naive and had nobody to help me make the right decision or ask the right questions. I was not prepared for the healing time afterwards, I remeber so many times I was in so much pain and I would be crying and pushing the call button for a nurse and nobody would come. One time a nurse did come after several calls and told me to stop crying and walked away. They were supposed to roll me over every 2 hours and at night they never did and when they did they were rough. The hospital I was at had a lot

of elderly people it was a orthopedic hospital I was the youngest in the whole hospital during my stay. One of my roommates who was elderly was getting up and she fall down, I tried calling the nurse but of course they thought I was whinning again so they ignored me for a long time, when her family came to visit her I told them what happened.....I don't know what ever became of it. I was scared of being in the dark and I would turn on my light behind the bed at night when this one nurse came on duty she would turn it off and close the door...... It was just a nightmare. I think that is why I choose for so many years to just get by with the pain(nothing compared to what I have now) and the deformity of my back, I have not seen a back doctor till just recently (oct 2006) so it was about 20yrs. I just hate this whole thing and I just want to get my surgery over with so I can get my life back. I do not know if I could have

endured all those surgeries you had. Thank God you had your husband during those times, I am also very blessed that my current husband which I have been with for 10 years is wonderful he is very supportive, throught the years he kept telling me go to the doctors but I just could never bring myself. We are very close, I posted a picture of us on the photo link. I have not one bit of doubt he will walk ever step with me, he is planning on taking a month to two months off of work and is planning on spend the night with me during my hospital stay. Thank you for letting me share it helps, I have never talked about my back till now. "Diane B." <roziedb@...> wrote: Hi , Thank you so much for the kind words. As I never looked at myself as being courageous I also have not looked at myself as being strong. You just do what you have to do. We have more in common than our back problems. I also raised 2 sons by myself for 10 yrs until I met & married my present husband. My oldest was 15 & my youngest 8 when Jim & I were married. My husband was a widow who lost his first wife to Malignant Melanoma when Jimmy was 5. I believe this was one of the reasons it hit so very hard when we lost him. They had been married 10 yrs & only had one child together. We had wanted to have a child together but my bk dr at the time told us not to even think about having children as

my bk couldn't take it. I must say looking back I am sorry now as after what happened to our Jimmy at least my husband would still have a living child. He is absolutely the greatest guy, and my heart just breaks for all he has had to go through. ( even with me.) Since we have been married I have had to have 6 back operations, open heart surgery ( for a birth defect noone ever found until I was 48.) plus 2 major abdominal operations all within 20 yrs. The poor guy is shell shocked & it is no wonder he is a nervous wreck with anything I do, he is terrified I will hurt myself & need more surgery.No wonder you were so upset when your back problems resurfaced. To have a person who claims to love you treat you so shabbily would hurt anyones self-esteem. I had never been diagnosed with scoliosis as a young person. I hurt my back in a fall when I was 17 but never knew it was so badly hurt until I was 27 & had to

have 71/2 hr surgery for 2 herniated disks. In 2000 when I began to pitch fwd until 2005 when I had my revision I know what it feels like to be & look deformed. I was literally bent in half by the time of my surgery & had to use a rolling walker to even get around. Whenever I had to go anywhere people would stop & stare.........especially kids, it was awful. If someone who claimed to love me did to me what your ex did to you, well it would have devestated me also. It was awful enough when strangers just stared & they were not verbally abusive. You are a very strong person also & are not giving yourself enough credit.How long have you been married to your present hubby? Is he supportive when it comes to your back problems? At least with this surgery you will not have to depend on anyone for your personal needs. My bk brace after my revision was a Milaukee Brace & with it you can attend to

your personal needs all by yourself. I don't know what type your dr will order but I don't know anyone who needed a body cast after revision. ( I had one of those too after an Ant/Post Fusion with Harrington Rods that I had done in 85 that was how I got Fl Bk too ) Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with me. If you ever have any questions I can answer don't hesitate to ask.As far as Lyrica & Cymbalta go I will have to look them up as I am not familiar with them.Bye For Now,Diane> > >> > > I wanted to find out if anybody has any

diffuculty driving after > > > revision?> > > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work, > currently > > I > > am > > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and > the > > > pain to increase. > > > which of course is making me take off more.> > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Don't pick lemons.> > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels > in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your

fit.>

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with for Mobile. Get started.

Guest guest

Hi , You were sure through a living

nightmare....................no wonder you avoided drs & hospitals

for so very long. You know when my bk really gave out the 1st time I

was only in my mid 20's. I was in excruciating pain & since I was

going through a divorce & was a single parent the drs I saw really

didn't believe me. They were all attributing it to stress BUT none

of them ever did a myelogram. When I finally had the courage to

demand one they were all full of apologies but what I had to go

through before that time was a nightmare also. Then they had

addicted me to pain killers & after almost a month in the hospital

sent me home with nothing for pain. After being on Demerol &

Vistaril around the clock for almost a month you can imagine what I

went through. Yrs ago it was NOT LIKE TODAY, if you asked for

something for pain you were labeled an addict. I would like to see

some of those drs & nurses have the kind of pain I suffered with for

far too many yrs deal with it with nothing. It makes me so angry

even today when I remember what they put me through. THANK GOD in 92

I found a dr who understood severe chronic pain & I credit him with

saving my life really. I don't know how I would have gotten through

those many yrs of pain until my revision without him. As a matter of

fact he is still my pain management dr although the pain I have now

is nothing compared to the pain I had before.

It is so good you have a wonderful husband to help you. Believe me

it should not be so bad this time. You are older & wiser & will have

your husband by your side. Also drs & hospital today are much more

understanding about pain & the need for family support so things

should be very different. I am an RN & I know I ALWAYS am kind to my

patients & never would treat someone like that. Those nurses should

not be allowed to practice.....they give our profession a bad name.

But you know in any field you find the good & the bad & obviously you

had some of the worst. Over the yrs I have wked with nurses that

were in it for all the wrong reasons. All they cared about was

themselves & their hair & make up & never mind taking care of the

patients. I could not stand nurses like this. Remember you are

paying for a service & it is their job to take care of you in a

caring way. If any of them, give you an trouble you ask to see the

Nursing Supervisor & you report them & don't be afraid. Any

Supervisor doing their job will make sure you are treated right. I

also was intimidated by the medical profession when I was young &

naieve & my husband helped me realize they are being paid to provide

a service. It is no different than hiring any other mechanic. In

fact it is even more important because it is your life they are

entrusted with. If you ever want to talk you can e mail me & I will

give you my number.

Take Care ,

Diane

In

, Streeff <astreeff@...> wrote:

>

> Diane,

> It is so nice to be able to share stories and have somebody

truley understand what you feel and I always felt alone I truely did

not know what was wrong with my back, I have always walked hunched

over after my scoliosis surgery. I just thought it was the way I

healed and I guess dip inside I didn't want to know any different

because I was so terrified of having another surgery. My surgery was

a nightmare(13 hrs long), I was young (18-19) and naive and had

nobody to help me make the right decision or ask the right questions.

I was not prepared for the healing time afterwards, I remeber so many

times I was in so much pain and I would be crying and pushing the

call button for a nurse and nobody would come. One time a nurse did

come after several calls and told me to stop crying and walked away.

They were supposed to roll me over every 2 hours and at night they

never did and when they did they were rough. The hospital I was at

had a lot of elderly people it was a orthopedic

> hospital I was the youngest in the whole hospital during my stay.

One of my roommates who was elderly was getting up and she fall down,

I tried calling the nurse but of course they thought I was whinning

again so they ignored me for a long time, when her family came to

visit her I told them what happened.....I don't know what ever became

of it. I was scared of being in the dark and I would turn on my light

behind the bed at night when this one nurse came on duty she would

turn it off and close the door...... It was just a nightmare. I think

that is why I choose for so many years to just get by with the pain

(nothing compared to what I have now) and the deformity of my back, I

have not seen a back doctor till just recently (oct 2006) so it was

about 20yrs.

> I just hate this whole thing and I just want to get my surgery

over with so I can get my life back.

> I do not know if I could have endured all those surgeries you had.

> Thank God you had your husband during those times, I am also very

blessed that my current husband which I have been with for 10 years

is wonderful he is very supportive, throught the years he kept

telling me go to the doctors but I just could never bring myself. We

are very close, I posted a picture of us on the photo link. I have

not one bit of doubt he will walk ever step with me, he is planning

on taking a month to two months off of work and is planning on spend

the night with me during my hospital stay.

>

> Thank you for letting me share it helps, I have never talked

about my back till now.

>

>

>

> " Diane B. " <roziedb@...> wrote:

> Hi , Thank you so much for the kind words. As I never

looked at

> myself as being courageous I also have not looked at myself as

being

> strong. You just do what you have to do. We have more in common

> than our back problems. I also raised 2 sons by myself for 10 yrs

> until I met & married my present husband. My oldest was 15 & my

> youngest 8 when Jim & I were married. My husband was a widow who

> lost his first wife to Malignant Melanoma when Jimmy was 5. I

> believe this was one of the reasons it hit so very hard when we

lost

> him. They had been married 10 yrs & only had one child together. We

> had wanted to have a child together but my bk dr at the time told

us

> not to even think about having children as my bk couldn't take it.

I

> must say looking back I am sorry now as after what happened to our

> Jimmy at least my husband would still have a living child. He is

> absolutely the greatest guy, and my heart just breaks for all he

has

> had to go through. ( even with me.) Since we have been married I

> have had to have 6 back operations, open heart surgery ( for a

birth

> defect noone ever found until I was 48.) plus 2 major abdominal

> operations all within 20 yrs. The poor guy is shell shocked & it is

> no wonder he is a nervous wreck with anything I do, he is terrified

> I will hurt myself & need more surgery.

> No wonder you were so upset when your back problems resurfaced. To

> have a person who claims to love you treat you so shabbily would

hurt

> anyones self-esteem. I had never been diagnosed with scoliosis as a

> young person. I hurt my back in a fall when I was 17 but never knew

> it was so badly hurt until I was 27 & had to have 71/2 hr surgery

for

> 2 herniated disks. In 2000 when I began to pitch fwd until 2005

when

> I had my revision I know what it feels like to be & look deformed.

I

> was literally bent in half by the time of my surgery & had to use a

> rolling walker to even get around. Whenever I had to go anywhere

> people would stop & stare.........especially kids, it was awful. If

> someone who claimed to love me did to me what your ex did to you,

> well it would have devestated me also. It was awful enough when

> strangers just stared & they were not verbally abusive. You are a

> very strong person also & are not giving yourself enough credit.

> How long have you been married to your present hubby? Is he

> supportive when it comes to your back problems? At least with this

> surgery you will not have to depend on anyone for your personal

> needs. My bk brace after my revision was a Milaukee Brace & with it

> you can attend to your personal needs all by yourself. I don't know

> what type your dr will order but I don't know anyone who needed a

> body cast after revision. ( I had one of those too after an

Ant/Post

> Fusion with Harrington Rods that I had done in 85 that was how I

got

> Fl Bk too )

> Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with me. If you ever

> have any questions I can answer don't hesitate to ask.

> As far as Lyrica & Cymbalta go I will have to look them up as I am

> not familiar with them.

> Bye For Now,

> Diane

> > > >

> > > > I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving

> after

> > > > revision?

> > > > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work,

> > currently

> > > I

> > > am

> > > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb

and

> > the

> > > > pain to increase.

> > > > which of course is making me take off more.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Don't pick lemons.

> > > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels

> > in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go

> with for Mobile. Get started.

>

Guest guest

Diane, You are right I do believe there is the good ones and the bad ones in every profession. I work with the public also, I work for Social Security I process the welfare program offered by the Federal Governement, my office is in the country I deal with people who sometimes have a 6th grade education, homeless, disabled children, and others. I love what I do, sometimes its hard to go home at the end of the day after hearing some of the stories. But, I do feel good that I helped them with everything in my power. Question What does a myelogram show? I would love your number, I am embarrased to say which I need to tell Cam is I had my long distance service cut off..........I forgot to pay the bill with all that is going on I have lost my pattern in paying bills, I have a schedule I follow when paying bills, I am very very organized but since this hit me I lost my organization, I just

didn't care so I have left alot of unpaid bills, So now I have to pay the whole thing off and pay reconact fees, that is what I will be doing today............."Diane B." <roziedb@...> wrote: Hi , You were sure through a living nightmare....................no wonder you avoided drs & hospitals for so very long. You know when my bk really gave out the 1st time I was only in my mid 20's. I was in excruciating pain & since I was going through a divorce & was a single

parent the drs I saw really didn't believe me. They were all attributing it to stress BUT none of them ever did a myelogram. When I finally had the courage to demand one they were all full of apologies but what I had to go through before that time was a nightmare also. Then they had addicted me to pain killers & after almost a month in the hospital sent me home with nothing for pain. After being on Demerol & Vistaril around the clock for almost a month you can imagine what I went through. Yrs ago it was NOT LIKE TODAY, if you asked for something for pain you were labeled an addict. I would like to see some of those drs & nurses have the kind of pain I suffered with for far too many yrs deal with it with nothing. It makes me so angry even today when I remember what they put me through. THANK GOD in 92 I found a dr who understood severe chronic pain & I credit him with saving my life really. I don't know

how I would have gotten through those many yrs of pain until my revision without him. As a matter of fact he is still my pain management dr although the pain I have now is nothing compared to the pain I had before.It is so good you have a wonderful husband to help you. Believe me it should not be so bad this time. You are older & wiser & will have your husband by your side. Also drs & hospital today are much more understanding about pain & the need for family support so things should be very different. I am an RN & I know I ALWAYS am kind to my patients & never would treat someone like that. Those nurses should not be allowed to practice.....they give our profession a bad name. But you know in any field you find the good & the bad & obviously you had some of the worst. Over the yrs I have wked with nurses that were in it for all the wrong reasons. All they cared about was

themselves & their hair & make up & never mind taking care of the patients. I could not stand nurses like this. Remember you are paying for a service & it is their job to take care of you in a caring way. If any of them, give you an trouble you ask to see the Nursing Supervisor & you report them & don't be afraid. Any Supervisor doing their job will make sure you are treated right. I also was intimidated by the medical profession when I was young & naieve & my husband helped me realize they are being paid to provide a service. It is no different than hiring any other mechanic. In fact it is even more important because it is your life they are entrusted with. If you ever want to talk you can e mail me & I will give you my number.Take Care ,DianeIn , Streeff

<astreeff@...> wrote:>> Diane, > It is so nice to be able to share stories and have somebody truley understand what you feel and I always felt alone I truely did not know what was wrong with my back, I have always walked hunched over after my scoliosis surgery. I just thought it was the way I healed and I guess dip inside I didn't want to know any different because I was so terrified of having another surgery. My surgery was a nightmare(13 hrs long), I was young (18-19) and naive and had nobody to help me make the right decision or ask the right questions. I was not prepared for the healing time afterwards, I remeber so many times I was in so much pain and I would be crying and pushing the call button for a nurse and nobody would come. One time a nurse did come after several calls and told me to stop crying and walked away. They were supposed to roll me over every 2 hours and at night they

never did and when they did they were rough. The hospital I was at had a lot of elderly people it was a orthopedic> hospital I was the youngest in the whole hospital during my stay. One of my roommates who was elderly was getting up and she fall down, I tried calling the nurse but of course they thought I was whinning again so they ignored me for a long time, when her family came to visit her I told them what happened.....I don't know what ever became of it. I was scared of being in the dark and I would turn on my light behind the bed at night when this one nurse came on duty she would turn it off and close the door...... It was just a nightmare. I think that is why I choose for so many years to just get by with the pain(nothing compared to what I have now) and the deformity of my back, I have not seen a back doctor till just recently (oct 2006) so it was about 20yrs.> I just hate this whole thing and I

just want to get my surgery over with so I can get my life back.> I do not know if I could have endured all those surgeries you had.> Thank God you had your husband during those times, I am also very blessed that my current husband which I have been with for 10 years is wonderful he is very supportive, throught the years he kept telling me go to the doctors but I just could never bring myself. We are very close, I posted a picture of us on the photo link. I have not one bit of doubt he will walk ever step with me, he is planning on taking a month to two months off of work and is planning on spend the night with me during my hospital stay.> > Thank you for letting me share it helps, I have never talked about my back till now.> > > > "Diane B." <roziedb@...> wrote:> Hi , Thank you so much for the kind words. As I never looked at > myself as being

courageous I also have not looked at myself as being > strong. You just do what you have to do. We have more in common > than our back problems. I also raised 2 sons by myself for 10 yrs > until I met & married my present husband. My oldest was 15 & my > youngest 8 when Jim & I were married. My husband was a widow who > lost his first wife to Malignant Melanoma when Jimmy was 5. I > believe this was one of the reasons it hit so very hard when we lost > him. They had been married 10 yrs & only had one child together. We > had wanted to have a child together but my bk dr at the time told us > not to even think about having children as my bk couldn't take it. I > must say looking back I am sorry now as after what happened to our > Jimmy at least my husband would still have a living child. He is > absolutely the greatest guy, and my heart just breaks for all he

has > had to go through. ( even with me.) Since we have been married I > have had to have 6 back operations, open heart surgery ( for a birth > defect noone ever found until I was 48.) plus 2 major abdominal > operations all within 20 yrs. The poor guy is shell shocked & it is > no wonder he is a nervous wreck with anything I do, he is terrified > I will hurt myself & need more surgery.> No wonder you were so upset when your back problems resurfaced. To > have a person who claims to love you treat you so shabbily would hurt > anyones self-esteem. I had never been diagnosed with scoliosis as a > young person. I hurt my back in a fall when I was 17 but never knew > it was so badly hurt until I was 27 & had to have 71/2 hr surgery for > 2 herniated disks. In 2000 when I began to pitch fwd until 2005 when > I had my revision I know what it feels like to be

& look deformed. I > was literally bent in half by the time of my surgery & had to use a > rolling walker to even get around. Whenever I had to go anywhere > people would stop & stare.........especially kids, it was awful. If > someone who claimed to love me did to me what your ex did to you, > well it would have devestated me also. It was awful enough when > strangers just stared & they were not verbally abusive. You are a > very strong person also & are not giving yourself enough credit.> How long have you been married to your present hubby? Is he > supportive when it comes to your back problems? At least with this > surgery you will not have to depend on anyone for your personal > needs. My bk brace after my revision was a Milaukee Brace & with it > you can attend to your personal needs all by yourself. I don't know > what type your dr will order

but I don't know anyone who needed a > body cast after revision. ( I had one of those too after an Ant/Post > Fusion with Harrington Rods that I had done in 85 that was how I got > Fl Bk too ) > Thank you for sharing a bit of your life with me. If you ever > have any questions I can answer don't hesitate to ask.> As far as Lyrica & Cymbalta go I will have to look them up as I am > not familiar with them.> Bye For Now,> Diane> > > >> > > > I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving > after > > > >

revision?> > > > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work, > > currently > > > I > > > am > > > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb and > > the > > > > pain to increase. > > > > which of course is making me take off more.> > > > > > > > > > > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > > Don't pick lemons.> > > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.> > >> > > > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> > Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels > > in

45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.> >> > > > > > > ---------------------------------> No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go > with for Mobile. Get started.>

Need Mail bonding?Go to the Q&A for great tips from Answers users.

Guest guest

Oh , Going through all of this is it any wonder you forgot. I

hate to tell you how I messed things up after my revision. The

seizures wiped out my memory plus my husband moved us while I was in

the hospital & rehab. I came home after a month to a different house

than the one I had lived in for 25 yrs. Even though it was my mother-

in-law's house ( she had passed away the Easter Sunday before my

revision ) nothing was where it was suppossed to be. Jim had tried

his best to make it like home but it wasn't. ( he was suffering from

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after the death of our son ) I was

having enough trouble because of the memory loss so not being abel to

find any of my things was awful. I would NOT recomend anyone having

to move while going through any type of surgery.

I think you said you live in NC. I live in PA & have Verizon

unlimited so if you would like I could call you, if you'd rather

wait until your service is restored then call me. My e mail addy is

rozie072@.... I also have one on I use for contests. That

is the one I have listed for the group.

Your job sounds wonderful. Helping people has always been something

I love to do. I volunteered in a hospital from age 14.

Diane

> > > > >

> > > > > I wanted to find out if anybody has any diffuculty driving

> > after

> > > > > revision?

> > > > > Its been on my mind lately because I do commute to work,

> > > currently

> > > > I

> > > > am

> > > > > having a hard time driving, it does cause my leg to go numb

> and

> > > the

> > > > > pain to increase.

> > > > > which of course is making me take off more.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > ---------------------------------

> > > > Don't pick lemons.

> > > > See all the new 2007 cars at Autos.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > ---------------------------------

> > > Now that's room service! Choose from over 150,000 hotels

> > > in 45,000 destinations on Travel to find your fit.

> > >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go

> > with for Mobile. Get started.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Need Mail bonding?

> Go to the Q & A for great tips from Answers users.

>

Guest guest

Granted we have all suffered the horrific experience of that surgery

in our younger days but your story was terribly sorrowful. You

were treated so bad emotionally that I can truly understand why

you hesitate to go through it again. Thank God you have the

adult you to take care of the " child' in you this time round and

I have no doubt you will stand up for yourself and your needs.

Have strength, it sounds as if you are surrounded by love and

support.

Guest guest

Tyler was not ready to drive independently for a long time

either.  He only got his license in December because the driving instructor

basically said, “You are ready and you are going to take the test today.”  Even

after he got his license he did not drive for a long time by himself – just started

within the last couple of months.  We do not let him go far and do not allow

him to drive after dark.  We did not push him.  They will do it when they are ready. 

I will say that I think being able to do this successfully has given him more

self-confidence in all areas not just driving.  We have seen improvement in

maturity with this, also – again, I think it relates to the self-confidence and

feeling good about himself.

[mailto: ] On

Behalf Of sharon mitchell

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:46 PM

Subject: RE: ( ) driving

Hi and PJ

My son is going to be 18 in August.

He doesn't want to drive yet, and my hubby and me are OK with it.

We don't think he is ready yet and neither does he.

But it does give me hope that one day (maybe a year or two, who knows)

he will be ready. It's nice to know and to be able to experience this with

others

who have been there. Good luck to you all.

Sharon

Subject: RE: ( ) driving

Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 5:47 PM

I know I have commented that my 18 yo

finally got his driver’s license in December after having a permit and

numerous driving lessons from the age of 15½. I had refused to ride

with him even though my ex-husband kept telling me he is a good driver (my

excuse being my nerves can’t handle it after already doing this with his much

older sister and brother). Well, yesterday he was at my house and we

needed to run to the store to get my step-daughter a birthday card.

After much coaxing he convinced me to ride with him. I was very

pleasantly surprised! He is a pretty good driver – my only comments to

him were to slow down a couple of times and that he needed to have more

consistent pressure on the gas pedal for a smoother, less jerky ride.

Later, I even let him drive us to meet my husband for dinner.

groups. com [mailto:AspergersSu pport@group s.com] On Behalf Of Patti

Journey

Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:38 PM

Subject: ( ) driving

My son is 18 and has a driving permit too. I

have just started taking him driving every day. We were both nervous at

first, I still am, lol, but he is doing very well. He keeps asking me

if he is ready to drive on his own, he is not, but I'm hoping one day he will

be able to. I think it is going to take a longer than he hopes.

I'm happy that he has the will to want to get his license. I want him to be

responsible as much as possible. Just going to take a little

longer than people he knows. pj

Guest guest

....I think you are 100% correct....being able to do things independently really increases their self-confidence and you are correct in not pushing....they will do it when they are ready.....

My son is across the street "hanging" with 2 friends who are older.....they are playing Xbox....but I would never have dreamed he could walk home alone in the pitch black...no street lights ...nothing but country and stars.....But, this has done him a world of good...he is maturing and feeling better about himself. And, he actually told me he is over his obsession of "Shane"...he is a 15 year old friend...and my son idolized him....for at least 3 years...now my son is coming of his own and actually said ...Shane is boring and he doesn't even bother to call him anymore! I almost fell out of my chair when I heard this....this came out of his mouth all by himself...after years of him obsessing about him and constantly calling this kid and crying when this kid would not talk to him!! I was so proud of him.

So I guess everything comes in steps when they are ready....and when they are ready ..they will do it and the confidence will come. I am proud of all our kids and those who learn to drive ...and pray they will all remain safe in their travels.

Jan

Janice Rushen

Mom, Mentor, Wife, Teacher, Advocate, Accountant,

Maid, Taxi, Shopper, Bulletin Board Artist

Nanny, Crafter, Therapist, Friend, Sister, Aunt,

Daughter, Grand-daughter, Personal Care Aide,

Student, Believer, and Giver.

From: <cindyelgamal@ sbcglobal. net>Subject: RE: ( ) driving Date: Thursday, July 17, 2008, 5:47 PM

I know I have commented that my 18 yo finally got his driver’s license in December after having a permit and numerous driving lessons from the age of 15½. I had refused to ride with him even though my ex-husband kept telling me he is a good driver (my excuse being my nerves can’t handle it after already doing this with his much older sister and brother). Well, yesterday he was at my house and we needed to run to the store to get my step-daughter a birthday card. After much coaxing he convinced me to ride with him. I was very pleasantly surprised! He is a pretty good driver – my only comments to him were to slow down a couple of times and that he needed to have more consistent pressure on the gas pedal for a smoother, less jerky ride. Later, I even let him drive us to meet my husband for dinner.

From: [mailto:AspergersSu pport@group s.com] On Behalf Of Patti JourneySent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:38 PM Subject: ( ) driving

My son is 18 and has a driving permit too. I have just started taking him driving every day. We were both nervous at first, I still am, lol, but he is doing very well. He keeps asking me if he is ready to drive on his own, he is not, but I'm hoping one day he will be able to. I think it is going to take a longer than he hopes. I'm happy that he has the will to want to get his license. I want him to be responsible as much as possible. Just going to take a little longer than people he knows. pj

Guest guest

My son received his learning permit through a driving school, cost us around $268, but they expected him to already know how to drive and he didn't, I mean that's why we were paying them. lolThey took him driving eight times and then said we would have to do the rest, they didn't have time. I don't know if anyone else had this experience, just thought I'd warn ya. I guess it made it easier for him to get his permit, but other than that it just didn't seem worth the money. pj

Guest guest

Ah, okay. Thanks!

In a message dated 9/6/2011 2:07:11 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

maryanne.waspe1@... writes:

Just the Law in this country you can't drive for six weeks after most

major

surgeries.

I guess the reflex thing must be part of it, if you do drive and have a

prang, then you aren't covered.

-- Re: surgery

Well shoot, I don't want my first post-op drive to be to the hospital for

the NEXT hip! What is the problem mostly? Inability to move fast and

slam

on brakes should the need arise?

------------------------------------

Be your own advocate! The best patient is an informed patient!

Groups Links

-----

No virus found in this message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 10.0.1392 / Virus Database: 1520/3878 - Release Date: 09/05/11

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Be your own advocate! The best patient is an informed patient!

Groups Links