RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: so upset

Rate this topic

Guest guest

This is sad, but reality. When I was growing up I had to learn who was a true friend and who were the fair weather friends, as my dad would say. My mother had bought me a new short's outfit. We didn't have a lot of money, but this so called friend from school did, she happen to be at my house the day my mom gave me that outfit, she needed something to wear so I let her wear it. She wore it home and I never got it back. I was hurt and still don't understand to this day why a person would do that. I never had anything else to do with this girl. She had a lot so I guess it didn't mean anything to her, but I felt cheated because I never got to wear my new outfit, I was to trusting. Or if you are not that kind of person, you never think someone would steal

from you. My son wanted friends so bad, like all kids do, he had a boy home from school that had just moved into town, so we didn't know him. He asked my son if he could borrow a video game, my son wanting to have a friend so bad, and also he is so giving, he said ok. Months went by and the boy never gave the game back, and when my son would ask for it at school the other boy would say "oh I forgot, I'll bring it tomorrow". The boy lived a block away from us. So one day I told my son "come on, we are going over there and getting your game". So I drove him over there, my son went up to the door and asked for his game back, the kid looked out the door in my direction, and soon came back with the game. After that I told my son he was to never lend anything to anyone, because not all people can be trusted. He didn't learn from this though. It took several times people taking things before my

son got really mad and then he would tell whoever, "NO" they couldn't borrow his games, etc. He also got cheated out of good baseball cards and poke cards. So we do need to teach our children that there are some rotten people out there. And it's not only our aspies that they prey on either. pj

Rose

That's really rotten! I feel for your son and for you. Making friends is hard enough. I hope your son isn't upset for too long over this.

Mimsbeachbodytan2002 <beachbodytan2002> wrote:

My son met a new kid a few years older than him. He would sit with my son on the school bus sometimes. My son was so happy to have a friend and in middle school. Well this boy come over the house today (3rd time in 2 years) to play with my son. My son took him into his room and let him play with his toy guns and other toys he had. they came out from his room and stayed playing in the family room for a while. when the boy went to the - bathroom - I thought. he went back into my son's room. As soon as the kids went to get him, he asked what time it was. as soon as they said the time, he had to go home and left. that was my red flag. I asked my son if anything was missing from his room? which I knew he wouldn't know until he needed it and couldn't find it. which can be months later. I then asked my son where he kept his money? (birthday and Christmas) he said in his drawer. He got upset and said his

friend wouldn't take his money ! And why would I think that way?. I asked him to show me his money. he opened his drawer to prove me wrong and his money was gone. (It was $15.00) but the money was his. Now, he wants to speak to the kid. I told him not to, when that boy ask to come over again, I'll talk to him. (we don't know where he lives or his last name) but I still think my son will say something that might become a problem. my son is in 5th grade and this boy is in 8th. right now, he's in bed and so sad and hurt because he can't believe "his friend" would do that to him. as I'm feeling sad for him, I'm hoping he can now learn that some people can't be trusted, especially the nice ones and that's why I tell him not to talk to strangers. I didn't want to say too much tonight because I never saw him that hurt. in the past, when ever he lost something, kids would return it or help him find it. and

he was so happy to have a 'friend' and all this kid wanted to do was steal from my son.Just wanted to share our experience.Rose

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too.LizOn Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote:,I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot.Rose

Guest guest

Patti, that is so sad that this had to happen. Why can't we find those kids that are so giving and ready to share everything they own with others? like our kids do. instead we got the ones that want what we have. That girl who borrowed your short set knew to give it back. she choose not to. it's like in today's world, we have to screen our kids friends & families first before we can be more relaxed when they come over our home to play. I'm glad your son got his video game back. good for you to drive him there !!!... Last year, another boy 'older' came over to play with my son. he saw a fishing pole brand new in his room and all that kid did was 'in a low voice' beg for his fishing pole. then when he saw my son's metal box with key & lock, he begged for that too. I never heard him ask for anything. the way I found out was my son went

to go play outside without him. I asked my son why is he leaving his friend in his room and going out without him. that's when my son told me - he's so annoying begging for everything I have. Now these children come from a two working parent family, that take expensive vacations, own expensive electronic equipment and why they would want my sons stuff when all they have to do is 'tell' their parents they want it and will get it. is amazing. I'm so happy to hear your son can now say NO when it comes to lending out his stuff. RosePatti Journey <pjpoo78363@...> wrote: This is sad, but reality. When I was growing up I had to learn who was a true friend and who were the fair weather friends, as my dad would say. My mother had bought me a new short's outfit. We didn't have a lot of money, but this so called friend from school did, she happen to be at my house the day my mom gave me that outfit, she needed something to wear so I let her wear it. She wore it home and I never got it back. I was hurt and still don't understand to this day why a person would do that. I never had

anything else to do with this girl. She had a lot so I guess it didn't mean anything to her, but I felt cheated because I never got to wear my new outfit, I was to trusting. Or if you are not that kind of person, you never think someone would steal from you. My son wanted friends so bad, like all kids do, he had a boy home from school that had just moved into town, so we didn't know him. He asked my son if he could borrow a video game, my son wanting to have a friend so bad, and also he is so giving, he said ok. Months went by and the boy never gave the game back, and when my son would ask for it at school the other boy would say "oh I forgot, I'll bring it tomorrow". The boy lived a block away from us. So one day I told my son "come on, we are going over there and getting your game". So I drove him over there, my son went up to the door and asked for his game back, the kid looked out the door in my direction, and

soon came back with the game. After that I told my son he was to never lend anything to anyone, because not all people can be trusted. He didn't learn from this though. It took several times people taking things before my son got really mad and then he would tell whoever, "NO" they couldn't borrow his games, etc. He also got cheated out of good baseball cards and poke cards. So we do need to teach our children that there are some rotten people out there. And it's not only our aspies that they prey on either. pj Rose That's really rotten! I feel for your son and for you. Making friends is hard enough. I hope your son isn't upset for too long over this. Mimsbeachbodytan2002 <beachbodytan2002> wrote: My son met a new kid a few years older than him. He would sit with my son on the school bus sometimes. My son was so happy to have a friend and in middle school. Well this boy come over the house today (3rd time in 2 years) to play with my son. My son took him into his room and let him play with his toy guns and other toys he had. they came out from his room and stayed playing in the family room for a while. when the boy went to the - bathroom - I thought. he went back into my son's room. As soon as the kids went to get him, he asked what time it was. as soon as they said the time, he had to go home and left. that was my red flag. I asked my son if anything was missing from his room? which I knew he wouldn't know until he needed it and couldn't find it. which can be months later. I then asked my son where he kept his money? (birthday and Christmas) he said in

his drawer. He got upset and said his friend wouldn't take his money ! And why would I think that way?. I asked him to show me his money. he opened his drawer to prove me wrong and his money was gone. (It was $15.00) but the money was his. Now, he wants to speak to the kid. I told him not to, when that boy ask to come over again, I'll talk to him. (we don't know where he lives or his last name) but I still think my son will say something that might become a problem. my son is in 5th grade and this boy is in 8th. right now, he's in bed and so sad and hurt because he can't believe "his friend" would do that to him. as I'm feeling sad for him, I'm hoping he can now learn that some people can't be trusted, especially the nice ones and that's why I tell him not to talk to strangers. I didn't want to say too much tonight because I never saw him that hurt. in the past, when ever he lost something, kids would return it or

help him find it. and he was so happy to have a 'friend' and all this kid wanted to do was steal from my son.Just wanted to share our experience.Rose Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

We used to watch that show too - very funny!

We don't watch a lot of shows but we do have the news on a lot. I am a news junkie and also I tend to watch too many reruns of L & O. The boys watch some Disney and some cartoons.

RoxannaAutism Happens

Re: ( ) so upset

We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too.

Liz

On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote:

I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend.

In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot.

Rose

Guest guest

Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich

girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way

my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Ginny, I am so sorry to hear you experience this too. and from a relative !!!, that does hurt !!! and more hurtful than from a so called friend.. your last paragraph is so true. I let my son watch a video with a speaker who spoke about why our children get so distracted in school so easily. she spoke about all those noises a child on the spectrum can hear. like the lights humming sounds, chairs moving, door closing, teacher speaking all at he same time. WOW - did that connect with my son. He explained how that happens to him. I was so surprised he related to that. I think when appropriate, it's great to take our kids to those forums on aspergers so they don't feel so alone. ( which I think they do at times). Roseginny_552001 <ginny_552001@...> wrote: I too understand your feelings. My ds experienced having things taken from him from what a cousin of his age. He talked like he wanted to spend time with this cousin and then I find out he has stolen his game boy. It was discovered of course by accident. My ds feels he doesn't have friends so he is not wanting to make a big deal about things especially since he did get it back.I've actually seen my son come to tears. That rips my heart out for him.We've been going to couseling and we spoke about this subject last evening and engaged in role playing. I feel like it might have actually helped him.It doesn't change the

hurt but it did seem to lessen it abit to also feel like he could address it. We also attended a forum on asperger last week and I took my ds with me. I think it was helpful to see so many others there. It helps to take away alittle of that feeling alone in the world especially on peer level.Ginny> My son met a new kid a few years older than him. He would sit with > my son on the school bus sometimes. My son was so happy to have a > friend and in middle school. Well this boy come over the house today > (3rd time in 2 years) to play with my son. My son took him into his > room and let him play with his toy guns and other toys he had. they > came out from his room and stayed playing in the family room for a > while. when the boy went to the - bathroom - I thought. he went back > into my son's room. As soon as the kids went to get him, he asked

> what time it was. as soon as they said the time, he had to go home > and left. that was my red flag. I asked my son if anything was > missing from his room? which I knew he wouldn't know until he needed > it and couldn't find it. which can be months later. I then asked my > son where he kept his money? (birthday and Christmas) he said in his > drawer. He got upset and said his friend wouldn't take his money ! > And why would I think that way?. I asked him to show me his money. > he opened his drawer to prove me wrong and his money was gone. (It > was $15.00) but the money was his. Now, he wants to speak to the > kid. I told him not to, when that boy ask to come over again, I'll > talk to him. (we don't know where he lives or his last name) but I > still think my son will say something that might become a problem. > my son is in 5th grade and this boy is in 8th. right

now, he's in > bed and so sad and hurt because he can't believe "his friend" would > do that to him. as I'm feeling sad for him, I'm hoping he can now > learn that some people can't be trusted, especially the nice ones and > that's why I tell him not to talk to strangers. I didn't want to say > too much tonight because I never saw him that hurt. in the past, > when ever he lost something, kids would return it or help him find > it. and he was so happy to have a 'friend' and all this kid wanted to > do was steal from my son.> Just wanted to share our experience.> Rose> > > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with

Mobile. Try it now. > > > > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.>

Guest guest

Rose We learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the rule that no playing with friends in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002@...> wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other

person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live

action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Mims, I do like what you just post. And that was my same plan. that's why I told both my kids to keep friends out of your rooms so you can keep your important things that you care about out of site and in your room. and things you are willing to share in the family room. Mims - you got that right, I'm also learning something new every day. RoseMims Batts <mimsnj@...> wrote: Rose We learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the

rule that no playing with friends in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like

you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was

about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for

my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Guest guest

That's a really great idea. I always find myself calling friends down from MY kids' room. They want to go up,,,,so they do. It amazed me.....the lack of "respect" some kids have. If bedrooms were off limits and playing only took place in the basement,,,,,I think it may be much easier. Thanks again for your idea!!RobinMims Batts <mimsnj@...> wrote: Rose We learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the rule that no playing with friends

in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family

of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems

impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

I can't wait till I can afford a bigger house so I can have a "playroom"! That seems like such the perfect answer for being able to have friends over without them playing with the toys my son doesn't want them playing with. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs@...> wrote: That's a really great idea. I always find myself calling friends down from MY kids' room. They want to go up,,,,so they do. It amazed me.....the lack of "respect" some kids have. If bedrooms were off limits and playing only took place

in the basement,,,,,I think it may be much easier. Thanks again for your idea!!RobinMims Batts <mimsnj > wrote: Rose We learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the rule that no playing with friends in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other

person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live

action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

ITA, a playroom is difinately the answer, make life so much easier on everyone.Sherry Ake <lessen@...> wrote: I can't wait till I can afford a bigger house so I can have a "playroom"! That seems like such the perfect answer for being able to have friends over without them playing with the toys my son doesn't want them playing with. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: That's a really great

idea. I always find myself calling friends down from MY kids' room. They want to go up,,,,so they do. It amazed me.....the lack of "respect" some kids have. If bedrooms were off limits and playing only took place in the basement,,,,,I think it may be much easier. Thanks again for your idea!!RobinMims Batts <mimsnj > wrote: Rose We learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the rule that no playing with friends in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little

neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I

agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to

that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the

- sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some

people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Guest guest

Whenever I ask my son how he thinks something made someone feel (like they broke their arm or something to that degree), he'll say "I think it's funny." I try to explain why it's not "funny" but he never seems to get it.Liz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair

out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her ! right an d wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it

as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose

Guest guest

ohhhh, a play room sounds great...well, that boy hasn't come back yesterday like he said he would...and today, he didn't even go on the school bus or to school. I was going to watch for him when he got off the bus and see where he goes goes to find out where he lives, and speak with his parents. (like I know that won't do any good). but at least to let the parents know he's not to come over or speak with my kids at all. Ake <lessen@...> wrote: I can't wait till I can afford a bigger house so I can have a "playroom"! That seems like such the perfect answer for being able to have friends over without them playing with the toys my son doesn't want them playing with. and/or Robin Lemke <jrisjs > wrote: That's a really great idea. I always find myself calling friends down from MY kids' room. They want to go up,,,,so they do. It amazed me.....the lack of "respect" some kids have. If bedrooms were off limits and playing only took place in the basement,,,,,I think it may be much easier. Thanks again for your idea!!RobinMims Batts <mimsnj > wrote: Rose We

learn something new every day, don't we? I've also gone with the rule that no playing with friends in the bedroom. Typically, I try to keep most toys in our basement, and the more "prized" or personal possessions are kept in the kids' rooms. By not having playmates in the bedrooms, that removes the possiblity of these items being stolen or broken. Plus, it helps keep the bedroom a little neater. If it's a child that I know very well, and if there is a good reason, I will let them play in my son's room. I also find that I can keep a better eye on them when they are playing downstairs. MimsRose <beachbodytan2002 > wrote: Liz, I do think TV can be educational and a learning experience

when the family watches it together and all can talk about it just like you described. I want to thank everybody that shared their experiences relating to ours. and its so sad knowing that this happened to so many. I will be more careful with who my children pick as friends to play with. I was also told that a 8th grader shouldn't be playing with a 5th grader, which I agree. thank you all again for sharing your experiences and how you handled them. you are all awesome !!! thanks RoseLiz Bohn <lbohn@...> wrote: We watch VERY little tv in our house, but I think some shows are helpful for our kids. When was little (elementary aged), we used to

watch Malcolm in the Middle (don't know if that is still on). It was about an absolutely WILD family of 4 boys and their parents, who were always tearing their hair out over the boys' antics. We used to watch with the kids and ask , "How do you think Malcolm is feeling now that his gerbil is gone?" or "How do you think that Malcolm's mother is feeling?" or "How do you think Malcolm's mother will like coming home to that loud and wild party?" It was great. We did that with a few other shows, too. Liz On Feb 27, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Rose wrote: , I am already aware my son doesn't understand the 'game' manipulating kids/people can play. the way I found out was, my kids were watching a kids TV show, I think it was on the - sweet life of Zack and Cody. - well any way someone was taking advantage of the rich girl (London Tipton) spelling. she plays a vary naive part. and I was trying to explain it to my son how that other person pretending to be her friend, really is taking advantage of her. now my daughter didn't really understand " what " the friend was doing as far as manipulating her, but she at least knew that friend wasn't treating her right and wasn't a good friend. So now she knows its called

manipulating - but doesn't fully understand that meaning. she is 9. so for my son, right now, it just seems impossible for him to ever understand that. he just saw it as: the friend was being so very nice and London was being so nice back. that's all he understood. ugh!!! but at least my daughter got the idea that the other girl wasn't being a good friend. In the past, some people posted that they don't want there kids learning from TV. but this is the only way my son can have a visual and my explaining what's going on at the same time. I don't seem to catch this manipulating in live action - lol - to teach him. so TV for now helps. and that show Zack and Cody seem to have this 'malipulating' games alot. Rose Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.