RemedySpot.com

Today

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Stuart,

Good luck and best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Jim

>

> The day has arrived that I go into hospital this afternoon, my C.I starts at

8.15am in the morning its 4 hour op as there is other things that have to be

removed and rebuilt, after last op, I had Op 6 months ago in preparation for

this C.I, As Where Ive had so many ops over the years, there was swings and

roundabouts to go around...I have signed forms that contained " I understand that

its only 20% chance of this working " Well they took long time to come to

decision if I have C.I because of cost. But because of Ops Ive had in past and

abcess on the brain, they came to decision,I DESERVED A CHANCE. And now I pray

that come the day for switch on it works, I wont be switched on til mid

January....

>

> Well anyway thats it folks I will keep in touch when I come out on Friday...

>

> Take care all

>

Hi ,Great job on the weight loss - it is tough to work such a long day - so for a workout, pick something shorter with no "dread" - that is what I always do when I either have too much to do or am too tired (mentally or physically!) for more.

Donna

From: Navarro <navarrosarah@...>Subject: Today"undisclosed recipients" <navarrosarah@...>Date: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 8:39 AM

Good morning all,

Well, it was a good weigh in Today. A loss of 2.6 pounds. That is a total loss of 26.4 pounds since Sept. 1, I still have a long ways to go, but I am very happy with this. Today is going to be a very long day. I have to work 3 hours of overtime today, tomorrow and Thursday so I will be at work from 7:30 AM until 7:00 PM. I have no idea what kind of exercise I will fit in tonite, maybe a short video. At least the money will come in handy for the holidays as I will get paid on Dec. 15th for these overtime hours. They never let us work overtime so I couldn't say no. We will be packing up our office for an office move in December. Have a great day everyone.

in CA-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

No virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.69/2508 - Release Date: 11/17/09 07:40:00

That's excellent! Good for you! Take care of yourself during those long days. I'd choose some yoga or something gentle. I'd want to protect my immune system. 

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 5:39 AM, Navarro <navarrosarah@...> wrote:

Good morning all,

Well, it was a good weigh in Today.  A loss of 2.6 pounds. That is a total loss of 26.4 pounds since Sept. 1, I still have a long ways to go, but I am very happy with this.   Today is going to be a very long day.  I have to work 3 hours of overtime today, tomorrow and Thursday so I will be at work from 7:30 AM until 7:00 PM.   I have no idea what kind of exercise I will fit in tonite, maybe a short video.  At least the money will come in handy for the holidays as I will get paid on Dec. 15th for these overtime hours.  They never let us work overtime so I couldn't say no.  We will be packing up our office for an office move in December.  Have a great day everyone.

in CA

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com

Version: 8.5.425 / Virus Database: 270.14.69/2508 - Release Date: 11/17/09 07:40:00

• 1 year later...

You might want to take a look at the side effects of Wellbutrin at a dose that large (375mg). It sounds like some of what your daughter is experiencing might be from the Wellbutrin. Have you ever shared the info you just posted for us with her the doctor who prescribes the Wellbutrin at that dosage?

Side Effects of Wellbutrin - for the Consumer

Wellbutrin

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Wellbutrin:

Changes in appetite; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight changes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Wellbutrin:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

From: <anna1959_2000@...> Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 10:05:57 PMSubject: ( ) Today

Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it doesn't matter if my daughter is officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat a patient with Asperger's.I see my daughter as a high-functioning AS. She has other issues also but some just fit the form of AS. My daughter is repetitive, she gets stuck on one thing and talks about it forever, then switches to another object, person or animal and everything is about that and everyone she sees she tells them about it (right now it's tarantulas). She talks to herself, she likes to stay in

her room by herself, she talks about other kids in school and some do call and she texts them but she never does anything with other kids and she never has them over. She is very literal and although she can joke around she just doesn't get when someone else is joking, or it's just a saying, or cliche, or exaggerating.Her anger can be extreme sometimes, she says she does not like herself and 2 years ago she was cutting herself. Now about a week ago I found out she is scratching herself when she gets angry, she had stopped hurting herself but now it is back. She takes 80mg of Prozac and 375 mg of wellbutrin. She also picks at herself till she bleeds. She is so naive, and the kids at school love to pick on her and call her weirdo and make fun of the way she dresses or whatever they can. Yesterday it was because she blew her nose.She is 16 and I feel like no one listens to me and they all treat me like I am so over protective and

overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me the correct thing to do for her.Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get this off my chest.

I have told the psychiatrists everything and all they do is up her Prozac. Is Wellbutrin and Prozac something even used for AS? What are some medications are your children on? and what dosages? I also have my daughter on 450mg GABA, 1200mg Omega, 400mg Magnesium and multi-vitamins too.

Thanks,

From: MacAllister <smacalli@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Today Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 9:29 AM

You might want to take a look at the side effects of Wellbutrin at a dose that large (375mg). It sounds like some of what your daughter is experiencing might be from the Wellbutrin. Have you ever shared the info you just posted for us with her the doctor who prescribes the Wellbutrin at that dosage?

Wellbutrin

All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome when using Wellbutrin:

Changes in appetite; constipation; dizziness; drowsiness; dry mouth; headache; increased sweating; nausea; nervousness; restlessness; taste changes; trouble sleeping; vomiting; weight changes.Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur when using Wellbutrin:

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or

trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

From: <anna1959_2000@...> Sent: Mon, January 10, 2011 10:05:57 PMSubject: ( ) Today

Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it doesn't matter if my daughter is officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat a patient with Asperger's.I see my daughter as a high-functioning AS. She has other issues also but some just fit the form of AS. My daughter is repetitive, she gets stuck on one thing and talks about it forever, then switches to another object, person or animal and everything is about that and everyone she sees she tells them about it (right now it's tarantulas). She talks to herself, she likes to stay in

her room by herself, she talks about other kids in school and some do call and she texts them but she never does anything with other kids and she never has them over. She is very literal and although she can joke around she just doesn't get when someone else is joking, or it's just a saying, or cliche, or exaggerating.Her anger can be extreme sometimes, she says she does not like herself and 2 years ago she was cutting herself. Now about a week ago I found out she is scratching herself when she gets angry, she had stopped hurting herself but now it is back. She takes 80mg of Prozac and 375 mg of wellbutrin. She also picks at herself till she bleeds. She is so naive, and the kids at school love to pick on her and call her weirdo and make fun of the way she dresses or whatever they can. Yesterday it was because she blew her nose.She is 16 and I feel like no one listens to me and they all treat me like I am so over protective and

overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me the correct thing to do for her.Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get this off my chest.

My son currently takes 150mg of Wellbutrin, after starting at 100mg. He took meds for attention/focus problems from Kindergarten-early 8th grade but stopped them over a year ago. He had problematic side effects the entire time and we tried at least 5 different medications at different dosages. We never went too high on the dosages or the side effects would be unbearable and not worth it. He only took the meds during school hours - never in the evenings/weekends/holidays/summer.

This fall, he started high school. His anxiety seemed to be particularly high so I wanted to try him on something but wanted to avoid the stronger meds like Prozac and Paxil and try something milder with fewer reported side effects. That's where the Wellbutrin came in. We started him on the 100mg and he had no obvious side effects with slight improvement so we bumped it up to 150mg with more improvement. If he has side effects, they are minimal - nothing like the ADHD meds. 150mg is as high as I'm willing to go and I don't expect he'll take this forever. He's just had a lot of adjustments to make with the challenging academic environment of his high school and he was obviously struggling w/ anxiety so I had to try something. He's been taking it for 2 months now.

We did a lot of research on Wellbutrin before starting it and anything over 350mg is where users can see some serious side effects. Of course, everyone is different, but you mentioned bleeding skin, extreme anger, and picking at her skin, which look like possible severe side effects from the list below. Wellbutrin can actually make kids more depressed when taking it, too. It's something you have to watch out for, according to our psychiatrist. Can you get a second opinion from a different doctor?

From: anna <anna1959_2000@...> Sent: Tue, January 11, 2011 1:50:56 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Today

I have told the psychiatrists everything and all they do is up her Prozac. Is Wellbutrin and Prozac something even used for AS? What are some medications are your children on? and what dosages? I also have my daughter on 450mg GABA, 1200mg Omega, 400mg Magnesium and multi-vitamins too.

Thanks,

From: MacAllister <smacalli@...>Subject: Re: ( ) Today Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 9:29 AM

Wellbutrin

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent nervousness, restlessness, or

trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me the correct thing to do for her.Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get this off my

chest.

Hi . I have a son with AS. He also has OCD, which meds like Prozac treat.

He's 21.

The docs are right in that they treat the symptoms/behaviors, they don't

prescribe something because she has AS.

The cutting and scratching and picking -- It sounds like anxiety. Hate to say,

that would be an additional med to help with anxiety. However, some meds will

actually cause those behaviors in some people, at least the picking and

scratching. Do you know if any of those behaviors started after beginning

either medication or after increasing a dosage of either??

She would need therapy to address these issues if it's not medication related.

The " problem " with AS being involved is that they can have poor insight into it,

understanding it, and that can interfere with the effectiveness of therapy.

Just some quick thoughts. I hate she (and you!) are going through this. The

teen years with typical kids are can be difficult enough! Some attitudes,

frustrations she has may be related to " this age " though she needs help/therapy

in how to handle all she's feeling, better ways to deal with it, get past any

anger, frustration, anxiety.... I know in my OCD group, we've had discussions

before re cutting or picking. A separate issue from OCD but some have more

going on too.

single mom, 3 sons

>

> Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what

I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the

correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's

but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the

symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it doesn't matter if my daughter is

officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and

the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat

a patient with Asperger's.

>

The obsessive interests are so AS. With my daughter, school stress greatly

increases her obsessive interests. She is like someone drowning looking for a

way to save herself. Same with hurting herself. My daughter will sometimes pick

at herself too. It is stress driven.

SSRI's can reduce anxiety but also her life can be more supported.

The psychiatrist can write an evaluation and recommend

many supports be available to reduce stress where she needs

it. SSRI's do not cure AS obsessiveness it just reduces it, so

she still needs supports.

Anger and irritablity is often driven by stress and anxiety

in AS kids. Some parents may trial mood stabizers and

others may trial an antipsychotic drug.

There is so much information in " Clinical Treatment of Autism "

by Dr. Hollander. It has all the latest clinical trials

of medications used on ASD kids and the side effects and the

doses. I would read that ad educate yourself on the benefits and

side effects.

You have a few years left to get your daughter diagnosed

as autism and enrolled under your states department of

disabilities. AS has to be showed as developing as a child.

Some states have transitional programs for autistic

kids, or have some supportive housing etc.

You have not found the right support yet to be heard.

Anyone trained to work with autism spectrum kids

is going to understand you. This would be certified

Behavior Therapists (usually at major univeristities)

and Nueropsychologists.

Last, very specialized therapists in Dialectrical Behavior

Therapy can teach emotional regulation skills to people

with self injurious. DBT was developed for people

that had personality disorders that have outbursts, can't

cope with life and hurt themselves. At your daughter's

age it is not effective to put in place behavior plans

and gradual exposure is not the answer for her since she is not

avoiding school. She needs to control her impulses of anger and self harm first

and foremost. And she needs her stress reduced so she

can cope better.

Another great book by Dr. Hollander is " Clinical

Treatment of Impulse Disorders " he lists medications for

self injury, compulsive shopping, obsessional behaviors etc.

I hope this is some help. I would get Dr. Hollander's two books

and look at the treatment plans and medications and see what

makes sense. We have to be the advocates for our kids.

Even though I have educated myself about treatment I still

get educators that do not have the time or patience to

do anything different. I do not feel heard either. And the

experts do not have time to explain things to us. We have

to find resources ourself.

Do you live near a major city or major university?

Pam

>

the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat

>

> I see my daughter as a high-functioning AS. She has other issues also but some

just fit the form of AS. My daughter is repetitive, she gets stuck on one thing

and talks about it forever, then switches to another object, person or animal

and everything is about that and everyone she sees she tells them about it

(right now it's tarantulas). She talks to herself, she likes to stay in her room

by herself, she talks about other kids in school and some do call and she texts

them but she never does anything with other kids and she never has them over.

She is very literal and although she can joke around she just doesn't get when

someone else is joking, or it's just a saying, or cliche, or exaggerating.

>

> Her anger can be extreme sometimes, she says she does not like herself and 2

years ago she was cutting herself. Now about a week ago I found out she is

scratching herself when she gets angry, she had stopped hurting herself but now

it is back. She takes 80mg of Prozac and 375 mg of wellbutrin. She also picks at

herself till she bleeds. She is so naive, and the kids at school love to pick on

her and call her weirdo and make fun of the way she dresses or whatever they

can. Yesterday it was because she blew her nose.

>

> She is 16 and I feel like no one listens to me and they all treat me like I am

so over protective and overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine

when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes

poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to

discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts

minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks

like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she

makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.

>

> If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This

child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I

feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me

the correct thing to do for her.

>

> Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get

this off my chest.

>

>

Thank you for you help. I called another psychologist today, that specializes in AS teens. I am waiting to hear back from them. After reading all the side effects from Wellbutrin, i also looked up Prozac and now I want to take her off both of them. This has been so draining, as you all know :(

Wellbutrin

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent nervousness,

restlessness, or trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me the correct thing to do for her.Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get this off my

chest.

What are the benefits of being diagnosed AS or not? and just treating the symptoms?

From: <@...>Subject: ( ) Re: Today Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 5:32 PM

Hi . I have a son with AS. He also has OCD, which meds like Prozac treat. He's 21.The docs are right in that they treat the symptoms/behaviors, they don't prescribe something because she has AS. The cutting and scratching and picking -- It sounds like anxiety. Hate to say, that would be an additional med to help with anxiety. However, some meds will actually cause those behaviors in some people, at least the picking and scratching. Do you know if any of those behaviors started after beginning either medication or after increasing a dosage of either?? She would need therapy to address these issues if it's not medication related. The "problem" with AS being involved is that they can have poor insight into it, understanding it, and that can interfere with the effectiveness of therapy. Just some quick thoughts. I hate she (and you!) are going through this. The teen years with typical kids are can be difficult enough!

Some attitudes, frustrations she has may be related to "this age" though she needs help/therapy in how to handle all she's feeling, better ways to deal with it, get past any anger, frustration, anxiety.... I know in my OCD group, we've had discussions before re cutting or picking. A separate issue from OCD but some have more going on too.single mom, 3 sons>> Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the

symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it doesn't matter if my daughter is officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat a patient with Asperger's.>

I wouldn' t be so quick to take her off meds althogether. You might want to start with just lowering the dosages and see what happens. I would definitely speak to a dr before making any changes though. Good luck and hope you get some real help. ne

Wellbutrin

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent

nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

chest.

It's weird you ask that, my sister (a psychologist) and I were just discussing the same thing. My son has ADHD but I suspect AS. PDD-NOS was recently diagnosed, but i'm pursuing the Autism idea for the school sake. I think they will treat us more seriously if I had something other than ADHD. So far medication, stickers and high fives are recommended for a boy with SLD along with everything else. I'm going to a neuropshychologist next. If he says Dylan doesn't have Autism, then I drop it forever, but I have a feeling he won't. We'll see. I think the difference is what treatments you receive.

Please let me know if I'm totally wrong about this, because I was wondering the same thing.

Cathleen

From: anna <anna1959_2000@...> Sent: Wed, January 12, 2011 3:24:10 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Re: Today

What are the benefits of being diagnosed AS or not? and just treating the symptoms?

From: <@...>Subject: ( ) Re: Today Date: Tuesday, January 11, 2011, 5:32 PM

Hi . I have a son with AS. He also has OCD, which meds like Prozac treat. He's 21.The docs are right in that they treat the symptoms/behaviors, they don't prescribe something because she has AS. The cutting and scratching and picking -- It sounds like anxiety. Hate to say, that would be an additional med to help with anxiety. However, some meds will actually cause those behaviors in some people, at least the picking and scratching. Do you know if any of those behaviors started after beginning either medication or after increasing a dosage of either?? She would need therapy to address these issues if it's not medication related. The "problem" with AS being involved is that they can have poor insight into it, understanding it, and that can interfere with the effectiveness of therapy. Just some quick thoughts. I hate she (and you!) are going through this. The teen years with typical kids are can be difficult enough!

Some attitudes, frustrations she has may be related to "this age" though she needs help/therapy in how to handle all she's feeling, better ways to deal with it, get past any anger, frustration, anxiety.... I know in my OCD group, we've had discussions before re cutting or picking. A separate issue from OCD but some have more going on too.single mom, 3 sons>> Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it

doesn't matter if my daughter is officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat a patient with Asperger's.>

If you are on medication such as Zoloft, Wellbutrin, Prozac, etc. you have to be weaned off them...you can't just stop! Please talk to the doctor or Psychiatrist about this first.

Jan

"In the Midst of Difficulty lies Opportunity" Albert Einstein

Success is not measured by one's position but by the obstacles one has overcome to obtain that position

From: susanne hansen <s_hansen34@...> Sent: Wed, January 12, 2011 8:09:40 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Today

I wouldn' t be so quick to take her off meds althogether. You might want to start with just lowering the dosages and see what happens. I would definitely speak to a dr before making any changes though. Good luck and hope you get some real help. ne

Wellbutrin

Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue, unusual hoarseness); blurred vision or other vision changes; changes in sexual desire or ability; chest pain; confusion; dark urine; delusions; fainting; fast or irregular heartbeat; fever, chills, or sore throat; hallucinations; hearing problems; menstrual changes; new or worsening mental or mood changes (eg, concentration problems, depression, panic attacks, aggressiveness, agitation, anxiety, impulsiveness, irritability, hostility, exaggerated feeling of well-being, inability to sit still); red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; seizures; severe headache or dizziness; severe or persistent joint or muscle pain; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain; severe or persistent

nervousness, restlessness, or trouble sleeping; shortness of breath; suicidal thoughts or attempts; tremor; unusual swelling; yellowing of the skin or eyes.

chest.

I agree with ne. Don't take her off the meds on your own. If you find a doc that decides to take her off one or both or even lowers one or both of the doses, you'll have to do it a little at a time. Definitely listen to a doctor or pharmacist about how to proceed. Now that you are more familiar with the possible side effects at the higher doses, if it's decided to just lower the doses for awhile, you might see a change in her behavior for the good. Who knows! Wish we all had crystal balls to look into the future and see what we did that helped and when we were going down the wrong path. It would save us all a bunch of heartache and probably money, too =)

From: susanne hansen <s_hansen34@...> Sent: Wed, January 12, 2011 7:09:40 PMSubject: Re: ( ) Today

Wellbutrin

chest.

why are you getting rid of prozac? just a question since my daughter has been on it for four months at 10mg and I have seen drastic improvementAmy Spikings ( ) Today

Hello, I just signed on to this group today. I know about Asperger's but what I don't know is if the doctors we are seeing for my daughter are really the correct ones. The Psychiatrists do not actually say my daughter has Asperger's but I tell them that all the issues my daughter has fits clearly into the symtoms of Aspergers. The psychiatrists say it doesn't matter if my daughter is officially diagnosed with Aspergers or not, they are treating her symtoms and the way they are treating her symtoms they say, is the same way they would treat a patient with Asperger's.I see my daughter as a high-functioning AS. She has other issues also but some just fit the form of AS. My daughter is repetitive, she gets stuck on one thing and talks about it forever, then switches to another object, person or animal and everything is about that and everyone she sees she tells them about it (right now it's tarantulas). She talks to herself, she likes to stay in her room by herself, she talks about other kids in school and some do call and she texts them but she never does anything with other kids and she never has them over. She is very literal and although she can joke around she just doesn't get when someone else is joking, or it's just a saying, or cliche, or exaggerating.Her anger can be extreme sometimes, she says she does not like herself and 2 years ago she was cutting herself. Now about a week ago I found out she is scratching herself when she gets angry, she had stopped hurting herself but now it is back. She takes 80mg of Prozac and 375 mg of wellbutrin. She also picks at herself till she bleeds. She is so naive, and the kids at school love to pick on her and call her weirdo and make fun of the way she dresses or whatever they can. Yesterday it was because she blew her nose.She is 16 and I feel like no one listens to me and they all treat me like I am so over protective and overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me the correct thing to do for her.Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get this off my chest.

If your child is diagnosed as having an Autism Spectrum Disorder (included

Asperger's Syndrome), they can be considered disabled and receive more

assistance from school/the county, etc. Some insurances cover this; some do not,

if you seek occupational therapy, etc. outside the school system. Our current

insurance does cover developmental issues. Some places that help with ASD might

have grants or scholarships, etc. to help pay for programs, too. Maybe your

doctors know that your insurance won't cover ASD-based issues and aren't

labeling as such so the insurance will help pay the cost for you. Otherwise, you

can get more help with an official diagnosis. Good luck to you and take care!

--Kari

>

>

> I see my daughter as a high-functioning AS. She has other issues also but some

just fit the form of AS. My daughter is repetitive, she gets stuck on one thing

and talks about it forever, then switches to another object, person or animal

and everything is about that and everyone she sees she tells them about it

(right now it's tarantulas). She talks to herself, she likes to stay in her room

by herself, she talks about other kids in school and some do call and she texts

them but she never does anything with other kids and she never has them over.

She is very literal and although she can joke around she just doesn't get when

someone else is joking, or it's just a saying, or cliche, or exaggerating.

>

> Her anger can be extreme sometimes, she says she does not like herself and 2

years ago she was cutting herself. Now about a week ago I found out she is

scratching herself when she gets angry, she had stopped hurting herself but now

it is back. She takes 80mg of Prozac and 375 mg of wellbutrin. She also picks at

herself till she bleeds. She is so naive, and the kids at school love to pick on

her and call her weirdo and make fun of the way she dresses or whatever they

can. Yesterday it was because she blew her nose.

>

> She is 16 and I feel like no one listens to me and they all treat me like I am

so over protective and overdramatic about my daughter because she looks fine

when you meet her and she is intelligent and an excellent writer. She writes

poems and stories but they are very dark, this concerns me but I do not want to

discourage her wonderful gift of writing. She also makes jewelry and sculpts

minatures. But this same child mimicks what other people do, good or bad, talks

like a baby at home, very high pitched, she calls me by different names that she

makes up, she has done that since she was a baby.

>

> If you had the courage to read this far, thank you. I am at my wits end. This

child is almost an adult and I need to help her to be a successful one, but I

feel I am failing and don't know where to turn and if the doctors are telling me

the correct thing to do for her.

>

> Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks for listening and allowingme to get

this off my chest.

>

>

Yes, I agree that Prozac has helped her, mostly with her OCD but the possible side effects on all these meds sound so contradictory. They all sound like they could help the problems and/or cause them!

Wellbutrin

chest.

• 1 month later...

" May today there be peace within. May you trust that you are exactly where you

are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of

faith in yourself and others. May you use the gifts that you have received, and

pass on the love that has been given to you. May you be content with yourself

just the way you are. Let this knowledge settle into your bones, and allow your

soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love. It is there for each and every

one of us. "