RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Ketchup

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You guessed right, I am no cook whatsoever! I only cook the simplest of simplest without any ideas whatsoever and my kids are sick and tired of me or it, whichever, it does not make a difference. The point is that I have made successful barbecue sauce after I got a detailed, very detailed description on how to make it. But that is as far as it goes. My mayo is no good and my ketchup even worse.

So there I am not knowing how to handle things and just throwing in the towel.

I need recipes for the basics to use:

mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, duck sauce, taryaky sauce, and anything else that may work with meats and fish.

Thanks so much for offering,

PS I have all the books, BTVC, grainfree, Lucy's and the kosher one from digestive wellness, and I still cannot get around it. I tried hiring a cook, she wanted $35.00@hour! I cannot afford that.

I have a blender, a grill, a microwave, a juicer.

, I hope this isn't jumping to conclusions but I get the impression you weren't much of a cook before doing SCD? Some of your questions point me to that conclusion. If you don't mind I can give you super detailed, step by step instructions for making whatever you want. I have done it for several people on this list and I have a few friends I have taught to cook in that way. It is a weird sort of hobby of mine, I guess! Let me know if that is what you would like and we can start with ketchup and mayo, which are easy, really! you just need the right tools and technique. :)

Chrissy

mama to 3 boys on SCD 4 months

Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?Vinegar suppresses the spread of bacteria,same as it does in homemade mayonnaise.Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than others.I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I said was the reasoning behind "sterile jars." I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the mayonnaise.. .. <g>

— Marilyn Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

what does ACV stand for? And do you have the recipe for the mayo and the ketchup, please? I made some but it was not good.

Thanks

Re: Ketchup

At 11:46 AM 9/12/2009, you wrote:

Doesn't that recipe call for

vinegar?

Vinegar suppresses the spread of bacteria,

same as it does in homemade mayonnaise.

Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than

others.

I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but

what I said was the reasoning behind "sterile jars."

I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the

mayonnaise.... <g>

—

Marilyn

Ne

w

Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

what does ACV stand for? And do you have the recipe for the mayo and the ketchup, please? I made some but it was not good.

Thanks

vinegar?

others.

mayonnaise.... <g>

—

Marilyn

Ne

w

Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

Thanks

vinegar?

others.

mayonnaise.... <g>

—

Marilyn

Ne

w

Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

what does ACV stand for? And do you have the recipe for the mayo and the ketchup, please? I made some but it was not good.ACV is apple cider vinegar. And the ketchup recipe is the one in BTVC, but I sort of did my own thing with it. Turned out more like a tomato sauce actually. Pour Dieu, pour terre,Alyssa 15UC April 2008, diagnosed Sept 2008SCD June 2009 (restarted)No meds =)

Guest guest

what does ACV stand for? And do you have the recipe for the mayo and the ketchup, please? I made some but it was not good.ACV is apple cider vinegar. And the ketchup recipe is the one in BTVC, but I sort of did my own thing with it. Turned out more like a tomato sauce actually. Pour Dieu, pour terre,Alyssa 15UC April 2008, diagnosed Sept 2008SCD June 2009 (restarted)No meds =)

Guest guest

Guest guest

I second this and have used this method since you suggested it. ACV makes great

mayo =)

Misty Kimble

CD = no meds

SCD = 20 months

> As a matter of fact, I've started using ACV in

> mayo instead of white vinegar + honey. Gives a

> slightly sweeter taste to the mayo (great if

> you're making coleslaw) and no honey...

>

>

> — Marilyn

Guest guest

I second this and have used this method since you suggested it. ACV makes great

mayo =)

Misty Kimble

CD = no meds

SCD = 20 months

> As a matter of fact, I've started using ACV in

> mayo instead of white vinegar + honey. Gives a

> slightly sweeter taste to the mayo (great if

> you're making coleslaw) and no honey...

>

>

> — Marilyn

Guest guest

, I hope this isn't jumping to conclusions but I get the impression you weren't much of a cook before doing SCD? Some of your questions point me to that conclusion. If you don't mind I can give you super detailed, step by step instructions for making whatever you want. I have done it for several people on this list and I have a few friends I have taught to cook in that way. It is a weird sort of hobby of mine, I guess! Let me know if that is what you would like and we can start with ketchup and mayo, which are easy, really! you just need the right tools and technique. :)

Chrissy

Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?Vinegar suppresses the spread of bacteria,same as it does in homemade mayonnaise.Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than others.I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I said was the reasoning behind "sterile jars." I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the mayonnaise.. .. <g>

— Marilyn Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

Chrissy

Guest guest

Okay, I am happy to help.

I can't do the detailed stuff right now, I have three kids and my husband is heading to the Colts game. However, tonight I will do recipes and suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think of. What I can tell you right now is that good cooking depends entirely on good ingredients. That is why SCD has the potential to be delicious...all the food is fresh and very, very little is processed at all. That is food nirvana.

What do your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next? Also, is there a prep or spice they detest? For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers. Intro was h*** for him! :)

Chrissy

Guest guest

I can't do the detailed stuff right now, I have three kids and my husband is heading to the Colts game. However, tonight I will do recipes and suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think of. What I can tell you right now is that good cooking depends entirely on good ingredients. That is why SCD has the potential to be delicious...all the food is fresh and very, very little is processed at all. That is food nirvana.

What do your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next? Also, is there a prep or spice they detest? For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers. Intro was h*** for him! :)

Chrissy

Guest guest

Chrissy

Guest guest

However, tonight I will do recipes and suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think of. Are you posting this to the whole group? Because I could sure use some ideas. I've gotten a bunch of great ones but very few ideas contain ingredients that I've already introduced. It's a slooowww process. Pour Dieu, pour terre,Alyssa 15UC April 2008, diagnosed Sept 2008SCD June 2009 (restarted)No meds =)

Guest guest

However, tonight I will do recipes and suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think of. Are you posting this to the whole group? Because I could sure use some ideas. I've gotten a bunch of great ones but very few ideas contain ingredients that I've already introduced. It's a slooowww process. Pour Dieu, pour terre,Alyssa 15UC April 2008, diagnosed Sept 2008SCD June 2009 (restarted)No meds =)

Guest guest

Guest guest

This is the splatter screen I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Silicone-Splatter-Screen/dp/B000\

QS35OY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1252903987&sr=8-3

It's freakin' HUGE! More than enough to keep any of my pots covered.

Holly

Crohn's

SCD 12/01/08

>

> > Don't forget the splatter screen or your mom's kitchen will be

> > speckled and you will get ketchup/lava burns! :)

>

>

> Woot! Yay ketchup! =D What exactly are splatter screens? Not their

> purpose, that's kind of obvious, but what do you use for one?

>

> Pour Dieu, pour terre,

> Alyssa 15

> UC April 2008, diagnosed Sept 2008

> SCD June 2009 (restarted)

> No meds =)

>

Guest guest

Sorry for not replying till now, but I was not feeling well last night.

My kids are all teenagers and above ranging from 27 years old to 16 years old. So the kiddie stuff is not applicable.

Nut flour items they do not go for at all.

Black pepper, paprika, white pepper are all acceptable in respectable amounts.

As we are totally kosher I cannot mix milk products with meats and chicken.

I need mostly the sauces to be par excellence! It must be very tasty and presentable as well! This is the whole issue. I was told by my sons doctor, to take out all of the mayo and all of the ketchup from their original packing and just put the scd one in! Easier said then done, how do you put mayo in so that it looks the same? The ketchup is easier, but it does not flow the same! I must make it so that it is as close as possible to the junky one!

I have not had any success so far.

If you can help me out, I would be very thankful.

What is vegetable shortening good for? What does it substitute? I have no clue. I have it in the pantry but do not know what to do with it.

I need basic techniques and may be then I will figure this out one day.

I once received a recipe for a zucchini soup, and I could not make hands and tails of it. I sent it to my married daughter who is quite a cook, and she simplified the whole thing for me. I still did not try it though.

I asked a friend to mak

e some tomato dip and Thank G'd it came out perfect.

Well there it is, Thanks in advance,

What d

o your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next? Also, is there a prep or spice they detest? For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers. Intro was h*** for him! :)

Chrissy

Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?

Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than others.

I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I said was the reasoning behind "sterile jars."

I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the mayonnaise.. .. <g>

— Marily

n

Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

Sorry for not replying till now, but I was not feeling well last night.

My kids are all teenagers and above ranging from 27 years old to 16 years old. So the kiddie stuff is not applicable.

Nut flour items they do not go for at all.

Black pepper, paprika, white pepper are all acceptable in respectable amounts.

As we are totally kosher I cannot mix milk products with meats and chicken.

I need mostly the sauces to be par excellence! It must be very tasty and presentable as well! This is the whole issue. I was told by my sons doctor, to take out all of the mayo and all of the ketchup from their original packing and just put the scd one in! Easier said then done, how do you put mayo in so that it looks the same? The ketchup is easier, but it does not flow the same! I must make it so that it is as close as possible to the junky one!

I have not had any success so far.

If you can help me out, I would be very thankful.

What is vegetable shortening good for? What does it substitute? I have no clue. I have it in the pantry but do not know what to do with it.

I need basic techniques and may be then I will figure this out one day.

I once received a recipe for a zucchini soup, and I could not make hands and tails of it. I sent it to my married daughter who is quite a cook, and she simplified the whole thing for me. I still did not try it though.

I asked a friend to mak

e some tomato dip and Thank G'd it came out perfect.

Well there it is, Thanks in advance,

What d

o your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next? Also, is there a prep or spice they detest? For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers. Intro was h*** for him! :)

Chrissy

Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?

Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than others.

I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I said was the reasoning behind "sterile jars."

I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the mayonnaise.. .. <g>

— Marily

n

Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA

Darn Good SCD Cook

No Human Children

Guest guest

— Marily n Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

— Marily n Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001 Darn Good SCD Cook No Human Children Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

Guest guest

Guest guest

- one of the challenges of SCD is learning how to cook. After being on it a

short while, I am already a better cook. Do you have any good cookbooks? The Joy

of Cooking- not SCD or kosher- is good because it explains how to cook in each

chapter. SCD With Taste and Tradition is kosher and is from Digestive Wellness.

They are kosher and sell products that are kosher and legal for SCD. There are

other SCD cookbooks that are helpful, you just have to make substitutions in non

kosher recipes.

I have teenagers too, and my teenage daughter is always into my SCD stuff-

It's a learning curve too as not all recipes come out right the first time. It

takes practice, but you will get there :)

Hope you feel better soon,

PJ

ut I was not feeling well last night.

> My kids are all teenagers and above ranging from 27 years old to 16 years old.

So the kiddie stuff is not applicable.

> Nut flour items they do not go for at all.

> Black pepper, paprika, white pepper are all acceptable in respectable amounts.

> As we are totally kosher I cannot mix milk products with meats and chicken.

> I need mostly the sauces to be par excellence! It must be very tasty and

presentable as well! This is the whole issue. I was told by my sons doctor, to

take out all of the mayo and all of the ketchup from their original packing and

just put the scd one in! Easier said then done, how do you put mayo in so that

it looks the same? The ketchup is easier, but it does not flow the same! I must

make it so that it is as close as possible to the junky one!

> I have not had any success so far.

> If you can help me out, I would be very thankful.

> What is vegetable shortening good for? What does it substitute? I have no

clue. I have it in the pantry but do not know what to do with it.

> I need basic techniques and may be then I will figure this out one day.

> I once received a recipe for a zucchini soup, and I could not make hands and

tails of it. I sent it to my married daughter who is quite a cook, and she

simplified the whole thing for me. I still did not try it though.

> I asked a friend to make some tomato dip and Thank G'd it came out perfect.

> Well there it is,20Thanks in advance,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Re: Ketchup

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Okay, I am happy to help.

>

>

>   I can't do the detailed stuff right now, I have three kids and my husband

is heading to the Colts game.  However, tonight I will do recipes and

suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think

of.  What I can tell you right now is that good cooking depends entirely on

good ingredients.  That is why SCD has the potential to be delicious...all the

food is fresh and very, very little is processed at all.  That is food nirvana.

>

>

> What do your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next?  Also,

is there a prep or spice they detest?  For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like

black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers.  Intro was h*** for

him!  :)

>

>

>  

>

>

> Chrissy

>

>

>

>

>

> Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?

>

> Vinegar suppresses the spread of bacteria,

> same as it does in homemade mayonnaise.

>

> Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than

others.

>

> I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I

said was the reasoning behind " sterile jars. "

>

> I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the

mayonnaise.. ..

>

>

>

> †" Marilyn

>     Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA

>     Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

>     Darn Good SCD Cook

>     No Human Children

>     Shadow & Sunny Longhair Dachshund

>

>        

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> =0

> A

>

Guest guest

- one of the challenges of SCD is learning how to cook. After being on it a

short while, I am already a better cook. Do you have any good cookbooks? The Joy

of Cooking- not SCD or kosher- is good because it explains how to cook in each

chapter. SCD With Taste and Tradition is kosher and is from Digestive Wellness.

They are kosher and sell products that are kosher and legal for SCD. There are

other SCD cookbooks that are helpful, you just have to make substitutions in non

kosher recipes.

I have teenagers too, and my teenage daughter is always into my SCD stuff-

It's a learning curve too as not all recipes come out right the first time. It

takes practice, but you will get there :)

Hope you feel better soon,

PJ

ut I was not feeling well last night.

> My kids are all teenagers and above ranging from 27 years old to 16 years old.

So the kiddie stuff is not applicable.

> Nut flour items they do not go for at all.

> Black pepper, paprika, white pepper are all acceptable in respectable amounts.

> As we are totally kosher I cannot mix milk products with meats and chicken.

> I need mostly the sauces to be par excellence! It must be very tasty and

presentable as well! This is the whole issue. I was told by my sons doctor, to

take out all of the mayo and all of the ketchup from their original packing and

just put the scd one in! Easier said then done, how do you put mayo in so that

it looks the same? The ketchup is easier, but it does not flow the same! I must

make it so that it is as close as possible to the junky one!

> I have not had any success so far.

> If you can help me out, I would be very thankful.

> What is vegetable shortening good for? What does it substitute? I have no

clue. I have it in the pantry but do not know what to do with it.

> I need basic techniques and may be then I will figure this out one day.

> I once received a recipe for a zucchini soup, and I could not make hands and

tails of it. I sent it to my married daughter who is quite a cook, and she

simplified the whole thing for me. I still did not try it though.

> I asked a friend to make some tomato dip and Thank G'd it came out perfect.

> Well there it is,20Thanks in advance,

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Re: Ketchup

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Okay, I am happy to help.

>

>

>   I can't do the detailed stuff right now, I have three kids and my husband

is heading to the Colts game.  However, tonight I will do recipes and

suggestions for sauces, snacks, menus, cooking techniques,..whatever I can think

of.  What I can tell you right now is that good cooking depends entirely on

good ingredients.  That is why SCD has the potential to be delicious...all the

food is fresh and very, very little is processed at all.  That is food nirvana.

>

>

> What do your kids tolerate and what would you like to introduce next?  Also,

is there a prep or spice they detest?  For example...my 7 y.o. doesn't like

black pepper and my 3 y.o. hates plain broiled hamburgers.  Intro was h*** for

him!  :)

>

>

>  

>

>

> Chrissy

>

>

>

>

>

> Doesn't that recipe call for vinegar?

>

> Vinegar suppresses the spread of bacteria,

> same as it does in homemade mayonnaise.

>

> Yes, it does, and yes it will -- but some people are more paranoid than

others.

>

> I don't generally use other than sparkling clean jars for things... but what I

said was the reasoning behind " sterile jars. "

>

> I do, however, try not to lick my spoon and then stick it back in the

mayonnaise.. ..

>

>

>

> †" Marilyn

>     Ne w Orleans, Louisiana, USA

>     Undiagnosed IBS since 1976, SCD since 2001

>     Darn Good SCD Cook

>     No Human Children