Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

iodine

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I've noticed in my reading that Iodine deficiency can cause the thyroid to

enlarge and produce more thyroid hormone thus rendering a person hyper. I

personally do not use iodized salt or any other kind of suplement. Has anyone

tried increasing their iodine uptake? Results?

Guest guest

madrone whelan wrote:

>

> I've noticed in my reading that Iodine deficiency can cause the thyroid to

enlarge and produce more thyroid hormone thus rendering a person hyper.

The enlargement or goiter itself doesn't cause hyper.

Hyperthyroidism is alledgedly more common in areas which had a

lot of Iodine deficiency - central China had (and I suspect some

parts still have) a problem with endemic Iodine deficiency. As

did parts of the USA not so many years ago. The suspicion is the

cells may alter when swollen as an adaption to life in low

Iodine environments - I remain sceptical that it is adaptive,

and not just that swollen thyroids are more likely to

malfunction in some way (hyper or hypo).

Goiter from Grave's disease is different in cause, it is caused

by antibodies emulating the hormone that would normal be

produced when Iodine deficient. So eating more Iodine will not

trigger the usual mechanism to lower hormone production <doh>.

However the body has more tricks up it's sleaves. If Iodine

intake is suddenly increased (such as several drops of Lugol

solution a day), the normal chemical processes in the thyroid

are suspended for a short period, then the body adjusts to this

new level of Iodine intake and starts excreting the excess

Iodine in urine.

This later response to excess Iodine does not function normally

in some Graves patients, and it is possible to induce a

euthyroid state by supplying some people with lots of Iodine.

This is used to make people euthyroid before surgery if they can

not tolerate the normal antithyroid drugs. (Presumably this is

the mechanism the old herbal cures based on Iodine use to

exploit!)

Potassium Iodide (Lugol's solutions) was abandoned as a sometime

treatment for Graves, after the antithyroid drug PTU was

discovered, as PTU is much more widely successful where as

Iodine only works for long durations in a minority of cases, and

can make some patients worse.

http://www.thyroidmanager.org/ has extensive discription of

Iodine metabolism in one of the early chapters.

> I personally do not use iodized salt or any other kind of suplement. Has

anyone tried increasing their iodine uptake? Results?

Varied - as the above suggests. In my case Kelp sometimes helps

stop the thyroid swelling, as it was prone to do. Whether it had

just used up all it's Iodine, or whether it was a subtler effect

I don't have a clue, it just stopped the pain in my throat when

swallowing.

If you want to try a more Iodine rich diet I'd mention it to

your doctor first. Also be sure of diagnosis, some people are

hyperthyroid with nodules on their thyroid. Autonomous nodules

will turn as much Iodine into thyroid hormone as they

can....ouch!

From a diet perspecive;

Iodine and Tyrosine are the prime constitutents of the thyroid

hormones. You also seem to need selenium to make the hormones.

The hyperthyroid also have odd Zinc metabolism, some have

suggested the shedding of Zinc is a defence mechanism against

certain symptoms. Calcium related systems can also go out of

kilter leading to osteoperosis, some doc's even go so far as to

recommend extra milk for Graves patients.....

Grave's patients are more likely to be gluten intolerant, and if

so, excluding gluten seems to reduce the autoimmune reaction and

can lead to remission in some cases.

The bowel effects of hyperthyroidism can cause poor absortion of

nutrients, some doctors recommend vitamin supplements for the

hyperthyroid - I'll stick with my organic fruit and veg.

I agree with your comment earlier, there is far more than Iodine

involved in dietary issues around Grave's disease. I'd also say

thyroid problems hyper and hypo are more evident by their impact

on my digestive system, than by anything obvious at the front of

my neck*.

Simon, brain dumping a little...

* I still think 's newsletter title " Sticking out our necks "

is hilarious. Good newsletter as well!

http://www.thyroid.about.com

Guest guest

Hi,

Iodine deficiency does indeed cause thyroid cells to enlarge in their efforts

to produce more thyroid hormone, causing goiter. But this does not cause

hyperthyroidism. People who are genetically predisposed to developing

autoimmune thyroid disorders (AITDs) are known to develop autoimmune thyroid

disease (both hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidismif they ingest more than 150

mcg of iodine daily. The minimum daily requirement is 75 mcg, and the average

fast food diet provides approximately 1,000 mcg daily.

In this case, iodine acts as an environmental trigger stimulating immune

system cells to react and produce thyroid antibodies. And the antibodies

cause the disease symptoms. Take care, Elaine

Guest guest

Ok great thanks that explains everything.

Sometimes being overly thin is also an iodine deficiency/thyroid disorder. Have you ever had correct thyroid levels tested? Are you healthy?

Would depend on other issues to know the level of deficiency.

To answer your question, yes, Thin can equate to deficiency, too.

Cheryl

>

> Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need iodine? My family are all very thin and I thought you tended toward being overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type, tall and willowy. Thanks, Kim

>

Guest guest

Sometimes being overly thin is also an iodine deficiency/thyroid disorder. Have you ever had correct thyroid levels tested? Are you healthy?

Cheryl

>

> Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need iodine? My family are all very thin and I thought you tended toward being overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type, tall and willowy. Thanks, Kim

>

Guest guest

Cheryl

>

>

Guest guest

I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.Sent from my iPhone On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Kim Abell ikinh wrote:

Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need iodine? My family are all very thin and I thought you tended toward being overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type, tall and willowy. Thanks, Kim

Guest guest

I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.Sent from my iPhone On Mar 5, 2011, at 3:59 PM, Kim Abell ikinh wrote:

Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need iodine? My family are all very thin and I thought you tended toward being overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type, tall and willowy. Thanks, Kim

Guest guest

Guest guest

A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he

is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he

is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has

no issues then its probably good.

If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is

good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or

allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper

or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of

those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different

definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those

areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes (

learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins,

minerals needed to reach it.

Healthy people tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already

more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol.

The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less

because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet

changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a

comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the

equivelent in food.

Cheryl

>

> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family

and I'm 5'6 " 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8 " 60 lbs. He has a killer

metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me

it caused die off and then made me feel better.

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

Guest guest

Thanks!Sent from my iPhone

A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good.

If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it.

Healthy people tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food.

Cheryl

>

> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

Guest guest

Thanks!Sent from my iPhone

A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good.

If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it.

Healthy people tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food.

Cheryl

>

> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.

>

> Sent from my iPhone

>

Guest guest

Cheryl, can you tell me what you know about moles and and tags? They run on my mom's side. I have them. My boys have them. They're popping up more and more on the boys as they get older. I always wondered if it was a sign of something (my mother's side of the family is c-r-a-zy....lol, but seriously...) Is it a sign of deficiency? -tammy

To: mb12 valtrex Sent: Sun, March 6, 2011 11:49:47 AMSubject: Re: Iodine

A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good. If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it. Healthy people

tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food. Cheryl>> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made

me feel better.> > Sent from my iPhone >

Guest guest

Cheryl, can you tell me what you know about moles and and tags? They run on my mom's side. I have them. My boys have them. They're popping up more and more on the boys as they get older. I always wondered if it was a sign of something (my mother's side of the family is c-r-a-zy....lol, but seriously...) Is it a sign of deficiency? -tammy

A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good. If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it. Healthy people

tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food. Cheryl>> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made

Guest guest

Maybe you all have tape worms?

>

> Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need

iodine? My family are all very thin and I thought you tended toward being

overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type,

tall and willowy. Thanks, Kim

>

Guest guest

>

> Please could you answer this question. Can someone who is very thin still need

overweight if you didn't have enough iodine. My daughter has the same body type,

>

Guest guest

>

>

Guest guest

Yes it is. There are several theorys about skin abnormalities. Basically

anything that isnt smooth normal skin is an abnormality. Acne is an abnormality.

Boils. Some think its fungus. Some are viral. Some Candida. Other Inner

bacteria. Abnormal skin can be a sign of a liver not functioning properly.

Endocrine imbalance. Mineral and vitamin deficiency.

So, lots of reasons but very rarely caused by lack of hygeine. has had

some very odd moles. Still has several. He has 2 fairly large ones in his hair.

(Parasites in the brain?) I use to have lots of brown spots on my hands, and

lots of freckels, moles, raised weird bumps, i had warts as a kid. I have never

had beautiful normal skin without a tan or makeup :P

You want to paint (Lugols Iodine diluted might be best with a little mag oil or

coconut oil) anything that isnt normal skin. Be sure to consider any painting

you do as part of the total dosage. Dot dot dot. laughs when i do the

dots. Moms just hiliarious.

Within the autism community there seems to be alot of parents, grandparents or

adults Dxd(or suspected) Autism(mostly aspie), Bipolar, ADHD, Schizophrenia,

depression, panic disorders, tons of auto-immune disorders. I dont think i have

met a healthy mom or dad of an autistic child. course by the time i have met

them they have an autism dx in their kid so they arent at their best health

wise. It's just something that i have noticed over the years and kept thinking

it was related. Different manifestations of the same root cause.

Cheryl

>

>

>

> Cheryl,  can you tell me what you know about moles and and tags?   They run

on

> my mom's side. I have them. My boys have them. They're popping up more and

more

> on the boys as they get older.  I always wondered if it was a sign of

something

> (my mother's side of the family is c-r-a-zy....lol, but seriously...)  Is it

a

> sign of deficiency?     -tammy

Guest guest

anything that isnt smooth normal skin is an abnormality. Acne is an abnormality.

Cheryl

>

>

>

on

more

something

a

Guest guest

Cheryl

>

>

>

on

more

something

a

Guest guest

Tammy,I had to laugh at your post. I have a lot of little skin-tag-ish moles too, and lots of those tiny raised red ones. My mom has them too, and like you, my mom's side is also crazy with a capital C. Maybe we should look into this! :)- Kirk-To: mb12 valtrex From: t.lynn28@...Date: Sun, 6 Mar 2011 09:47:49 -0800Subject: Re: Re: Iodine

Guest guest

When I was pregnant with my son I had a bunch of skin tags form in my arm pits. After he was born they went away. At birth we found out that I have three sets of rare recessive platelets and my immune system was attacking his dominant platelets as he was forming inside me. He was born with a critically low count of platelets and he had to have platelet transfusions and IVIG transfusions for a week after he was born. After 4 days he started to form platelets on his own and was able to go home within a week.My skin tags went away after he was born and I have not had any more since. Oddly enough I also had a rash on both hands that went away while I was pregnant with Stan, but the rash came back again after he was born.I don't get sick very often and when I do I usually get well quite quickly. I think both skin tags and my rash have something to do with my immune system.  Cheryl,  can you tell me what you know about moles and and tags?   They run on my mom's side. I have them. My boys have them. They're popping up more and more on the boys as they get older.  I always wondered if it was a sign of something (my mother's side of the family is c-r-a-zy....lol, but seriously...)  Is it a sign of deficiency?     -tammyFrom: Cheryl To: mb12 valtrex Sent: Sun, March 6, 2011 11:49:47 AMSubject:  Re: Iodine A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good. If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it. Healthy people tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food. Cheryl>> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.> > Sent from my iPhone > 

Guest guest

When I was pregnant with my son I had a bunch of skin tags form in my arm pits. After he was born they went away. At birth we found out that I have three sets of rare recessive platelets and my immune system was attacking his dominant platelets as he was forming inside me. He was born with a critically low count of platelets and he had to have platelet transfusions and IVIG transfusions for a week after he was born. After 4 days he started to form platelets on his own and was able to go home within a week.My skin tags went away after he was born and I have not had any more since. Oddly enough I also had a rash on both hands that went away while I was pregnant with Stan, but the rash came back again after he was born.I don't get sick very often and when I do I usually get well quite quickly. I think both skin tags and my rash have something to do with my immune system.  Cheryl,  can you tell me what you know about moles and and tags?   They run on my mom's side. I have them. My boys have them. They're popping up more and more on the boys as they get older.  I always wondered if it was a sign of something (my mother's side of the family is c-r-a-zy....lol, but seriously...)  Is it a sign of deficiency?     -tammyFrom: Cheryl To: mb12 valtrex Sent: Sun, March 6, 2011 11:49:47 AMSubject:  Re: Iodine A speedy metabolism is good as long as the nutrients are being utilized. If he is having to eat 10 thousand calories to function, it might be too speedy. If he is eating just a little above normal(swimming burns those calories!) and he has no issues then its probably good. If muscles are good-well defined not soft, digestion is good, energy level is good, skin(no moles,tags,rashes) hair and nails are normal, no colds, flu or allergy. No worm sign. No depression, anxiety, irrational fears. No OCD, hyper or manic behavior. Little to no body fat. Regular sleep patterns. If all of those are good a person is probably healthy. Someone else may have a different definition of healthy, thats mine. So look at the body as a package of all those areas, then decide if you see complete health or there might be diet changes ( learn about oxalates and goitrogens, others depending on symptoms) or vitamins, minerals needed to reach it. Healthy people tend to not have the halide buildup in cells, so they are already more Iodine saturated. There isnt the need to do the high dose Iodine protocol. The 12.5 mg is usually recommended as a maintenance dosage, you may need less because you weigh less. If you have issues you may need more, and/or diet changes. Iodine supplementation still needs to be in conjunction with a comprehensive nutritional program including minerals and vitamins or the equivelent in food. Cheryl>> I think so. We are all pretty thin. I am the heaviest looking in the family and I'm 5'6" 120 lbs. My son is very thin 4'8" 60 lbs. He has a killer metabolism but needs iodine to offset all his pool ( chlorine ) exposure. For me it caused die off and then made me feel better.> > Sent from my iPhone > 

Guest guest

Guest guest

I am actually sort of concerned about that, but I really just think johns family( and therefore our son Heyward ) are just thin people.I thin because I run. When I was pregnant with our son i somehow had their metabolism. I could eat an entire pizza & salad & popcorn at the movies. ... Embarrased my husband. He called me the bull moose but I wasn't all that huge- only gained 30 lbs. I did go looking for the co q 10 the other day though... Sent from my iPhone

>

>