Hi ,

Welcome aboard! About saving your documents, you can go to

www.groups..com and connect to rheumatic board, and read all the

posts there. I've chosen to go this route every day, rather than

receiving e-mails into my PC. There is a place under your Group

Member information where you can elect " No E-Mail. " If I want a copy

of something in my PC, with the document on the page, I just

click " send " and address it to myself, or copy the material I want

and paste it into a new e-mail to myself.

Works for me,

bg

> Just wanted to thank you all for the website suggestions and all

the advise thus far. Unfortunately my floppy is out and I am getting

a new computer next month. So I may need to get some of you to send

me some of the websites again. Or is any of these sites in the

Bookmarks area of the site? Oh well I will find out later.

>

> Nite all!!

>

> Arthritically Yours,

>

> arthritic2000@e...

Guest guest

Donna,

In a post today to , I posted that Ken Had surgery with Dr. Pashman at Cedars I believe. In post # 25954 I listed some names to possibly check out in Southern Calif. Also go to the Scoliosis Research Society site( just google it) and they have a physician finder there by state, and or city. Look for key words in their description, Adult, degenerative, aging. Most area's have one local doc to check for a starting place, but quiz any assistant you speak with for their experience with Flatback and post Harrington Rod spines. If they hum or ha around, move to the next name. When going for a surgeon experience does matter, if they have done one or two cases, or looked in on one, run away. That is why when speaking of this surgery, many times the same couple of handful of names crop up, they do this often, have a track record, and patients here you can speak with. You don't want to be the patient anyone practices on, you need experience, this is very major, and tricky surgery in the best of hands.

Good luck,

Colorado Springs

[ ] hi all

any southern california surgoens that do flatbakc revision procedures there? I am in NV there isnt anyone but i know there is SF but if icould Southern cal then i have more options to leting a friend hodl my dog while gone etc and its 4 hrs awaythanks your freinddonna

Guest guest

Donna,

Those numbers you quoted are huge, a doc possible could do one, maybe two or three a week. You must remember even the best surgeon, has office days, or half days, and most their practice isn't just limited to Flatback revisions, they are doing many kinds of spinal surgeries too. You must also know, a great deal of these surgeons stage fusions to the sacrum, in two parts, as they are very long daunting surgeries, and even staged, each part can be 4-6-8 hours. My revisions weren't staged, 10 to 12 hours each, so you can see what a day it is for not only us, but the doc's working on us. So adding up in practical time, the numbers you quoted just isn't possible. I think sometime back, when someone was talking about experience, and Dr. Bridwells names came up, and he does more of these than about anyone out there, I think they said he'd figured he'd done around 100-150 these( I hope I'm right on this, Bridwell people chime in). Numbers of surgeries will continue to tick onto there lists, as more and more of us start to fall apart as we age.

Colorado Springs

[ ] hi all

any southern california surgoens that do flatbakc revision procedures there? I am in NV there isnt anyone but i know there is SF but if icould Southern cal then i have more options to leting a friend hodl my dog while gone etc and its 4 hrs awaythanks your freinddonna

Guest guest

Donna,

Any surgeon worth their weight should be able to put you in contact with at least three patients who have had the same surgery as the doc proposes for you, as references, and someone who can give you the nitty gritty on the surgery, how they feel about the doc, and the hospital they practice at. Have a list of questions ready, concerns you have. I do this for my surgeon. Also ask for patients that are not only just back from surgery, but ones years down the road from surgery, as that will give you a picture on how well things hold up with time. I've been asked real douzies of questions, things before surgery I wouldn't have even thought of, and a lot of ladies I speak with have their hubbies get on the call too. The site has tons of useful questions to ask docs, in the FILES section. You have to remember you are looking for a skilled surgeon, with a track record, and one you can partner in your care with. Most know it when they have found their doc and their plan. I wish you luck in the journey.

Colorado Springs

[ ] hi all

Guest guest

Hello "midnight_dreamer21. you are more than welcome to e-mail me, I've been living with jra for 34 years, and I'm probably your dads' age too! but nun the less I'm always ready and eager to make new friends. And you'll find many people on the group who are ready to be friends too!

What type of jra do you have?pac,poly, or sytemic?

my self I'm jra,a s

and you can call me Rusty Limbs although sometimes I feel like rusty hinge!

Welcome!

On Sun, 19 May 2002 03:48:32 -0000 "midnight_dreamer21" <midnight_dreamer21@...> writes:

Hello, I have never done this before but my dad thought it would be good for me to talk to people like myself with JRA so I guess I'll start by telling you all something about myself, I'm 23 with severe JRA, I have had JRA sense I was 2years old..If there is anyone who would like to chat or exchange e-mail's with me and maybe become friends just let me know :)

Guest guest

Hi

since i didnt see a name hi hi midnight dreamer glad you are in the group i am Robbin have a daughter 15 with poly JRA

we live in Atlanta Ga where do you live? what kind of JRA do you have?

Robbin

Guest guest

Hi midnight dreamer. Welcome. We could all use another friend and I

would be happy to have you as one of mine. You have found a great

network of many very warm and supportive people. Many who have been

through what you're going through and many like myself who are

watching their children live with this disease. My 4 year old

daughter Riley was diagnosed with polyarticular JRA just recently. I

have found support and information from parents and people living

with this disease alike. We are all together in this. Welcome.

Eli and Riley 4 poly

> Hello, I have never done this before but my dad thought it would be

> good for me to talk to people like myself with JRA so I guess I'll

> start by telling you all something about myself, I'm 23 with severe

> JRA, I have had JRA sense I was 2years old..If there is anyone who

> would like to chat or exchange e-mail's with me and maybe become

> friends just let me know :)

Guest guest

Hi, Thanks for responding to my post, I believe i have poly jra...I'm

not sure though because my doctor never told me there was more then

one kind of jra but i looked it up and poly sounded like what i have,

anyway again thanks :)um i'm not sure what else to say so takecare

> Hello " midnight_dreamer21. you are more than welcome to e-mail me,

I've

> been living with jra for 34 years, and I'm probably your dads' age

too!

> but nun the less I'm always ready and eager to make new friends.

And

> you'll find many people on the group who are ready to be friends

too!

> What type of jra do you have?pac,poly, or sytemic?

> my self I'm jra,a s

> and you can call me Rusty Limbs although sometimes I feel like rusty

> hinge!

> Welcome!

>

> On Sun, 19 May 2002 03:48:32 -0000 " midnight_dreamer21 "

> <midnight_dreamer21@y...> writes:

> Hello, I have never done this before but my dad thought it would be

> good for me to talk to people like myself with JRA so I guess I'll

> start by telling you all something about myself, I'm 23 with severe

> JRA, I have had JRA sense I was 2years old..If there is anyone who

> would like to chat or exchange e-mail's with me and maybe become

> friends just let me know :)

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hiya Angie and welcome to this list...we are glad to have ya!

Angie you said in the other post that you aren't on any medications but have it from your neck down..I find this amazing and hard to believe that a doctor won't give you medication, my daughter who is 17 was diagnosed with poly jra at the age of 4 and a half is on medications and has been ever since her diagnosis..there is now way she would of been able to survived these past years without meds. The jra has done damage to her body with beds...without the meds she would have ended up bedridden I believe.

Now you have stunned me..lol. Do you have minor pain and do you have much joint damage..such as hips,knees, wrists, hands, shoulders, elbows..etc..Have you ever been on any type of medication at all..and when did you get diagnosed with jra?Sorry for the questions but I can't believe you have poly jra and are living without medication..i see what pain my daughter is in..with meds..if it is true..sweetie..i think you need to seek out a rheumatologist..if that is what your doctor is..then you definitely need a new one...that is for sure..

Take care,karen(tab17..poly)

Reply- Subject: Re: Hi All Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:05:45 -0000

Hi, Thanks for responding to my post, I believe i have poly jra...I'm not sure though because my doctor never told me there was more then one kind of jra but i looked it up and poly sounded like what i have, anyway again thanks :)um i'm not sure what else to say so takecare > Hello "midnight_dreamer21. you are more than welcome to e-mail me, I've > been living with jra for 34 years, and I'm probably your dads' age too! > but nun the less I'm always ready and eager to make new friends. And > you'll find many people on the group who are ready to be friends too! > What type of jra do you have?pac,poly, or sytemic? > my self I'm jra,a s > and you can call me Rusty Limbs although sometimes I feel like rusty > hinge! > Welcome! > > On Sun, 19 May 2002 03:48:32 -0000 "midnight_dreamer21" > writes: > Hello, I have never done this before but my dad thought it would be > good for me to talk to people like myself with JRA so I guess I'll > start by telling you all something about myself, I'm 23 with severe > JRA, I have had JRA sense I was 2years old..If there is anyone who > would like to chat or exchange e-mail's with me and maybe become > friends just let me know :) > > > >

Guest guest

absolutely well said . I mean na couldn't even walk! She couldn't hold anything and if she hadn't been put on something I beleive she would have just curled up and been paralized! Jona mom of na 2 poly

karens tribe <nutsomom5@...> wrote:

Hiya Angie and welcome to this list...we are glad to have ya!

Angie you said in the other post that you aren't on any medications but have it from your neck down..I find this amazing and hard to believe that a doctor won't give you medication, my daughter who is 17 was diagnosed with poly jra at the age of 4 and a half is on medications and has been ever since her diagnosis..there is now way she would of been able to survived these past years without meds. The jra has done damage to her body with beds...without the meds she would have ended up bedridden I believe.

Now you have stunned me..lol. Do you have minor pain and do you have much joint damage..such as hips,knees, wrists, hands, shoulders, elbows..etc..Have you ever been on any type of medication at all..and when did you get diagnosed with jra?Sorry for the questions but I can't believe you have poly jra and are living without medication..i see what pain my daughter is in..with meds..if it is true..sweetie..i think you need to seek out a rheumatologist..if that is what your doctor is..then you definitely need a new one...that is for sure..

Take care,karen(tab17..poly)

Reply- Subject: Re: Hi All Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:05:45 -0000

Hi, Thanks for responding to my post, I believe i have poly jra...I'm not sure though because my doctor never told me there was more then one kind of jra but i looked it up and poly sounded like what i have, anyway again thanks :)um i'm not sure what else to say so takecare > Hello "midnight_dreamer21. you are more than welcome to e-mail me, I've > been living with jra for 34 years, and I'm probably your dads' age too! > but nun the less I'm always ready and eager to make new friends. And > you'll find many people on the group who are ready to be friends too! > What type of jra do you have?pac,poly, or sytemic? > my self I'm jra,a s > and you can call me Rusty Limbs although sometimes I feel like rusty > hinge! > Welcome! > > On Sun, 19 May 2002 03:48:32 -0000 "midnight_dreamer21" > writes: > Hello, I have never done this before but my dad thought it would be > good for me to talk to people like myself with JRA so I guess I'll > start by telling you all something about myself, I'm 23 with severe > JRA, I have had JRA sense I was 2years old..If there is anyone who > would like to chat or exchange e-mail's with me and maybe become > friends just let me know :) > > > >

Guest guest

Jona,

was the same way,couldnt walk,all his joints from head to toe were all bent,he stoped eating because he couldnt hold anything,we thought he was dying.It was the scariest thing I ever have gone through.Watching your child waste away not knowing what is wrong.

Becki and 3systemic

Re: Hi All Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 17:05:45 -0000

Guest guest

Diane,

Congratulations to and to you. Wow, you will

have 6 children god bless you!!! Hope it is a girl

this time LOL!!!!!

EIleen

--- Diane <fivej@...> wrote:

> Just wanted to let you all to know we're all still

> here. is doing

> great. He is doing so well with the device at school

> and meanwhile we're

> fighting to insurance company to get one for home.

> Also our household will

> be growing as of februay. Yes I am pregnant.

> is so exicted infact so

> much that he announced it to all his friends the

> very next day lol. I had to

> school calling me to tell me he told them. With his

> own voice " mama is

> having a baby "

> Diane...Mom to 5 wonderful sons (on their

> good days lol) 2/9/85, 7/10/86

> 8/23/88, 7/31/90, and 1/20/92

> EDD for the newest member of our family

> 2/7/03

>

>

>

Guest guest

CONGRATULATIONS DIANE!!! You are an impressive woman! :)

[ ] Hi all

Just wanted to let you all to know we're all still here. is doing

great. He is doing so well with the device at school and meanwhile we're

fighting to insurance company to get one for home. Also our household will

be growing as of februay. Yes I am pregnant. is so exicted infact so

much that he announced it to all his friends the very next day lol. I had to

school calling me to tell me he told them. With his own voice " mama is

having a baby "

Diane...Mom to 5 wonderful sons (on their

good days lol) 2/9/85, 7/10/86

8/23/88, 7/31/90, and 1/20/92

EDD for the newest member of our family

2/7/03

Guest guest

Doc....

Glad to have you back with us and sorry your travels were so hectic. I was

disappointed we didn't get to meet but knew you only between flights and

understood.

We missed you!!!

Tatezi

Hi all

Hi all,

I came back last week and had hectic travelling across from the East to West

coast.

I coudnt meet Tatetzi in Chicago, as I had a short stay there, sorry :(

Hope you guys are doing well.

Dr Sharat Misra MD,DM,FACG

Guest guest

Hello There Marvin:

I'm sorry that you have had the unfortuneate news of being a fellow Hep C person. I too was recently diagnosed (April 2002) and am trying to come to grips with it all.

I too am unable to get the traditional medical help. I go to a Daughters of Charity clinic (through the Catholic hospital) and they charge on a sliding scale. They were the ones who diagnosed me through a routine check up. They then sent me to a specialty clinic that they have specifically for Hep C. There the fee was only $8 per visit. Maybe there is something like this in your community through a similar source.

Right now I am symptom free and there doesn't appear to be any liver damage, but I am planning to schedule a liver biopsy in September to really get a clear picture on where I actually stand.

If a doctor determines that you are in need of treatment for the disease, they may have some local referrals for you about clinical trials or sliding scale programs that might be able to help with the expenses of treatment. There are two manufacturers of the pegylated interferon treatment that is the traditional treatment for the disease. You may get some information from them on local treatment options:

Schering Oncology Biotech (888) HEP-2608 http://www.sgp.com

Roche (866) GO-WINGS http://www.rocheusa.com

I'm sure you will find the people in this support group to be a wealth of infomation and that they are a warm and caring group of people. It is pretty quiet today but most days there are quite a number of posts. I'm sure you'll be hearing from them soon.

Best wishes,

hepcacur <hepcacur@...> wrote: Hi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been diagnosed with HCV. I know very little about anything that deals with it. I have no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide, but not enough to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am in desperate need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt all over,tired all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not the greatest anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If anyone is from the Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I would greatly appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself and my family. WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Guest guest

Hello Marvin

My name is Darlene. I am in the same place but I am unemployed. You have the right to file for Social Security Disability Income and/or Medicaid for treatment. You monthly gross income will determine if you qualify for SS income. You can earn up to $780.00 gross a month. Medicaid is a separate benefit program for people who do not have medical group insurance coverage. If you are working you can apply for the minimal deductible Medicaid treatment programs.

You can start receiving a partial SSD benefits immedately till they make their decision. If they deny your application, you need to file for an appeal.

Read www.hcvadvocate.org advisement on what documents you need to be more likely accepted.

Please go to www.ssn.gov/disability for further information on appyling online and or on-line. Also go to www.hcvadvocate.org for what you need to qualify for SSI and or Medicaid.

hepcacur wrote:

Hi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been diagnosed with HCV. I know very little about anything that deals with it. I have no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide, but not enough to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am in desperate need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt all over,tired all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not the greatest anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If anyone is from the Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I would greatly appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself and my family. WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Guest guest

Marvin, I am sorry that you had to join our group. None of us chose this path we are on. My name is Terry, we live southeast of you, just outside of Phoenix. Treatment for Hep C is expenive even with insurance. I am taking Pig-intron combo for the Hep C & 2 other drugs to deal with the side afects of peg-intron. With insurance I am paying $45 a month, plus monthly vistes to the doctor. Without insurance the peg-intron alone runs $2400 a month. So I feel for you.

The drug company have programs to reduce the cost for people without insurance. Also there is some drug company's doing test studies on differant treatments. These are free including the doctor vists. There is others in the group that can pass the information on to you. So things are not as bleek as they seem right now. You can beat this.

Terry

hepcacur wrote:

Hi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been diagnosed with HCV. I know very little about anything that deals with it. I have no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide, but not enough to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am in desperate need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt all over,tired all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not the greatest anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If anyone is from the Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I would greatly appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself and my family. WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Guest guest

Hi Marvin,I also have the virus since 1992 (as far as I know) thats when my blood was tested.I'm fortunate to have insurance.However I pay close to 500.00 a month and cant do a thing about it but stick it out cause insurance is alot cheaper then the medicine. anyway Here is a HepC treatment number # 1-866-437-2608 They have to help you some how.Heres another # you might want to try !-888-437-2608 I live in the western suburbs of chicago so I'm not sure if the #s help but try them anyway Let me know if you got thru Debbie

Guest guest

With your permission, I will forward this to a hepper

in Las Vegas.

Sharon

--- hepcacur <hepcacur@...> wrote:

> Hi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been

> diagnosed with

> HCV. I know very little about anything that deals

> with it. I have

> no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide,

> but not enough

> to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am

> in desperate

> need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt

> all over,tired

> all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not

> the greatest

> anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If

> anyone is from the

> Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I

> would greatly

> appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself

> and my family.

> WE NEED YOUR HELP!

>

>

Guest guest

That would be great. Thank you so very much.

> > Hi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been

> > diagnosed with

> > HCV. I know very little about anything that deals

> > with it. I have

> > no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide,

> > but not enough

> > to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am

> > in desperate

> > need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt

> > all over,tired

> > all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not

> > the greatest

> > anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If

> > anyone is from the

> > Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I

> > would greatly

> > appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself

> > and my family.

> > WE NEED YOUR HELP!

> >

> >

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

Thank You very much. I will surely give these numbers a try. It

can't hurt..

Marvin

>

> Hi Marvin,I also have the virus since 1992 (as far as I know)

thats when my blood was tested.I'm fortunate to have

insurance.However I pay close to 500.00 a month and cant do a thing

about it but stick it out cause insurance is alot cheaper then the

medicine. anyway Here is a HepC treatment number # 1-866-437-2608

They have to help you some how.Heres another # you might want to

try !-888-437-2608 I live in the western suburbs of chicago so I'm

not sure if the #s help but try them anyway Let me know if you got

thru DebbieHi there, my name is Marvin. I have recently been

diagnosed with

> HCV. I know very little about anything that deals with it. I

have

> no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide, but not

enough

> to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am in desperate

> need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt all over,tired

> all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not the greatest

> anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If anyone is from the

> Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I would greatly

> appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself and my

family.

> WE NEED YOUR HELP!

>

>

>

Guest guest

Thank You ,

My girlfriend has been looking for clinical trials and we have had

no replies as of yet. We will keep plugging away.

Marvin

Hi there, my name is Marvin. I

have recently been diagnosed with

> HCV. I know very little about anything that deals with it. I

have

> no insurance, make too much to apply for state aide, but not

enough

> to afford a doctor. (If that makes any sense) I am in desperate

> need of advice. I am noticing that my joints hurt all over,tired

> all of the time but can't sleep, my memory is not the greatest

> anymore, . And basically I feel like @#*^. If anyone is from the

> Vegas area and knows where I could go for help, I would greatly

> appreciate it. This is taking a big toll on myself and my

family.

> WE NEED YOUR HELP!

>

>

>

Guest guest

I know where you're coming from, Marvin. Sucks, don't it? I've gone through similar problems. I remember when I was going to school I had an infected cut on my foot that wouldn't heal. I was afraid I was going to get gangrene or something and I couldn't afford to go see a dr. My cousin and his wife were on welfare and when she got bit by a fire aunt she went in to the emergency ward and they took care of her no questions asked. A lot of us fall through the cracks when it comes to getting help from the government. -dz-

hepcacur wrote:

Guest guest

Have you seen the movie Q?

Sharon

--- imaganeer <imaganeer@...> wrote:

>

> I know where you're coming from, Marvin. Sucks,

> don't it? I've gone through similar problems. I

> remember when I was going to school I had an

> infected cut on my foot that wouldn't heal. I was

> afraid I was going to get gangrene or something and

> I couldn't afford to go see a dr. My cousin and his

> wife were on welfare and when she got bit by a fire

> aunt she went in to the emergency ward and they took

> care of her no questions asked. A lot of us fall

> through the cracks when it comes to getting help

> from the government. -dz-

Guest guest

That movie is a prime example of what this is like for us right

now. I keep being told that this to shall pass and that things will

get better.. Still trying to keep the possitive thoughts going..

Luckily right now he is still able to work, but he is slowing down

quickly. I believe to that the not knowing anything other than he

has HCV is equally as frustrated as trying to get some help. Thank

God for places like this group to come to for support and

strength. (((Hugs))) Tammie and Marvin

> >

> > I know where you're coming from, Marvin. Sucks,

> > don't it? I've gone through similar problems. I

> > remember when I was going to school I had an

> > infected cut on my foot that wouldn't heal. I was

> > afraid I was going to get gangrene or something and

> > I couldn't afford to go see a dr. My cousin and his