RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi there. Welcome. I am pretty new here myself. I wrote out a super long post the other night with most of my story in it. So far no one has replied. Lol, I think I might have written too long a post for anyone to keep up with. It's just that when I have a good enough day where I CAN take the time to write it all out, I take advantage of it. Anyway, you said your doc is discussing narcotics with you. I totally understand how you feel about the addiction thing. My advice to you is to do all the research you can online and offline and talk to as many other people living with fibro to see what works for them and their opinions on the meds. Have you tried Ultram or Ultracet yet? They are the same medication (tramadol), but Ultracet has acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it. Ultram is not a narcotic medication, but if you read the fine print about it, the literature says that it can be habit forming and I have talked with many people who have had withdrawal symptoms when they stopped taking it. I don't think it would be anything like withdrawal from a narcotic though.

Usually the docs will try you on Ultram/Ultracet or the Elavil or some NSAIDS first. I was on Ultram for over a year without ever having ANY pain relief from it before I went to a new doc who was willing to try me on a stronger pain medication. She asked me if I wanted to try Oxycontin or MS Contin but I said no. I had done so much research, and I knew what I thought would work for me. I did not want to be on a medication that I would develop a tolerance to over time and need more and more and possibly have the doctor not up the dosage when the time came. Doctors can be really wary about increases on a narcotic. I requested to be put on methadone for PAIN, not as a maintenance drug like they use for heroin addicts. Methadone is used very successfully for pain. I'm not saying it is for everyone, as everyone is different. The reason I requested methadone is because it is so much longer lasting. You can take it once a day and have it last for 24-36 hours, depending on the person. Some people need to take it in split doses per day, which is what my doctor has prescribed for me. I take 30 mg. in the morning, and then another 20 mg. at night. Some days I just take all 50 mgs. in the morning if I wake up in a lot of pain and it works wonders for me. It made such a difference in my life. I was ready to end my life because of the amount of pain I was in before I was put on this med. Also, I like it because it is not like being on a rollercoaster like when you are on other meds like oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.) or hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, etc.). My doctor started me off on 30 mg. and I was increased in 10 mg. increments over a period of three months until I arrived at my current dosage which seems to work well for me. Some people only need 20-30 mg., some need up to 60-70 mg. My doc said most of her fibro patients that are on it are at about 60 mg. and my doc specializes in treating pain. Methadone feels different than taking other narcotics. At first, it made me really sleepy. After about two weeks as my body got used to it I became less sleepy, but I find that I can sleep A LOT better on it. I can fall asleep during the day if I let myself because for the first few hours after it kicks in it does give you a sort of sleepy, comfy feeling. I try my damndest not to nap during the day since my sleep schedule is so messed up. I'm trying to gain back some semblance of a normal routine. Methadone does feel different than Oxycontin or Vicodin in my opinion. You don't get that big feeling of euphoria, although you do get a relief sort of feeling when it kicks in when you are really hurting. All I can say is that I know of many, many people who have been on Oxycontin or MS Contin or Vicodin or Duragesic patches who switched over to methadone because they were not getting enough relief with the others and they were shocked to find how much pain relief it gives them, myself included. I would not trade it for all the Oxycontin or morphine in the world. I also know that my dose does not have to constantly be adjusted because of tolerance. If it has to be adjusted, it will be because of pain control. I really think you should read up on it or ask your doc about it. When I was seeing my rheumatologist for pain relief (Ultram) I asked her about methadone and she told me that it could not be prescribed for pain, which was very wrong. Do not let anyone tell you that, because no matter what state you are in, it can be used for pain control. More and more doctors in my state (Rhode Island) are prescribing it for pain. I am friends with many pharmacists at the chain drugstore I worked for and they tell me that they get more scripts for it every month. When I worked in a pharmacy we didn't even stock it, it had to be specially ordered. Now most of the busier stores always have it in stock due to the increased demand.

I also wanted to ask you if you know the difference between addiction and dependency? Did you know that it is proven that most people who take narcotic painkillers for pain do not become addicted? Yes, your body will become DEPENDENT on the drug, but not necessarily ADDICTED. Addiction is a psychological problem. Please take the time to read up on that. Most people are scared to start taking an opioid pain medication because they are afraid they will get addicted. You can be dependant on a medication without being addicted to it. Please research this as it may answer some of your questions and put your mind at ease about taking a narcotic pain medication you may possibly need if everything else does not provide you relief.

When I decided to start taking the methadone, I understood that there is a possibility I may have to take it for the rest of my life if I never recover from the fibro and my other illnesses. However, if I do start feeling I don't need as much, I know that my doctor can taper me off of it without worrying that I will be left needing the meds cause of an addictive craving. I've never craved a narcotic pain medication. I've only wanted it when I hurt. Some people start off fine, but then they develop an addiction to the drug and they crave it, more and more, and I do not mean for pain control. That's a whole other story. You should ask your doctor to explain the difference to you as I am by no means a doctor. I have however worked as a certified pharmacy technician and I do know a decent amount about medications and how they work, what they are used for, etc. Please don't feel like I'm trying to push methadone on you because I'm not. I just have had such a positive experience with it and have spoken with SO MANY others who have had the same experience. It has truly saved my life. One other good thing about it is that I do not need anything for breakthrough pain, at least I haven't needed anything so far. I know most people with severe chronic pain need a long acting medication like Oxycontin or MS Contin plus a fast-acting medication like Oxy IR (instant release) or MS IR (morphine sulfate instant release) that is not as long lasting as the Oxycontin or MS Contin. I am thankful that I do not need anything for breakthrough pain because I have a real hard time swallowing pills and the less I have to take, the better. The methadone also does not make me nauseous like all the other pain meds I've tried. I also don't have that loopy feeling that I do not like because I cannot concentrate like that. But, everyone is different and what works like a miracle for me might make you sick and do nothing for you so always, always talk to your doctor. I hope I was of some help. I know this post got a little long- sorry. I just wanted to get my point across. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch and let us know what you try and if it works for you if you so desire. I enjoy hearing what works for other people. Take care and may you have as many pain-free days as possible!

~*Kerrie*~

----- Original Message -----

: : : : : Hello everyone. I am new here but am glad to have found the : group...lots of good info and support. I was diagnosed in December : 2004 after YEARS of chronic pain that was never found to have a cause : (I even had doctors tell me it was in my head!) I am trying to find : some natural remedies, but what I've tried so far hasn't helped. I am : on amyltriptelen, but it really doesn't do anything but make me tired. : My doctor is discussing narcotics with me but I am afraid of : addiction...any ideas or thoughts out there would be apprecvisted. : Thanks...Amy: --- End forwarded message ---: : : : : : : -- : No virus found in this incoming message.: Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.: Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.11 - Release Date: 4-14-2005: :

No virus found in this outgoing message.

Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.

Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.11 - Release Date: 4-14-2005

Guest guest

Hi there. Welcome. I am pretty new here myself. I wrote out a super long post the other night with most of my story in it. So far no one has replied. Lol, I think I might have written too long a post for anyone to keep up with. It's just that when I have a good enough day where I CAN take the time to write it all out, I take advantage of it. Anyway, you said your doc is discussing narcotics with you. I totally understand how you feel about the addiction thing. My advice to you is to do all the research you can online and offline and talk to as many other people living with fibro to see what works for them and their opinions on the meds. Have you tried Ultram or Ultracet yet? They are the same medication (tramadol), but Ultracet has acetaminophen (Tylenol) in it. Ultram is not a narcotic medication, but if you read the fine print about it, the literature says that it can be habit forming and I have talked with many people who have had withdrawal symptoms when they stopped taking it. I don't think it would be anything like withdrawal from a narcotic though.

Usually the docs will try you on Ultram/Ultracet or the Elavil or some NSAIDS first. I was on Ultram for over a year without ever having ANY pain relief from it before I went to a new doc who was willing to try me on a stronger pain medication. She asked me if I wanted to try Oxycontin or MS Contin but I said no. I had done so much research, and I knew what I thought would work for me. I did not want to be on a medication that I would develop a tolerance to over time and need more and more and possibly have the doctor not up the dosage when the time came. Doctors can be really wary about increases on a narcotic. I requested to be put on methadone for PAIN, not as a maintenance drug like they use for heroin addicts. Methadone is used very successfully for pain. I'm not saying it is for everyone, as everyone is different. The reason I requested methadone is because it is so much longer lasting. You can take it once a day and have it last for 24-36 hours, depending on the person. Some people need to take it in split doses per day, which is what my doctor has prescribed for me. I take 30 mg. in the morning, and then another 20 mg. at night. Some days I just take all 50 mgs. in the morning if I wake up in a lot of pain and it works wonders for me. It made such a difference in my life. I was ready to end my life because of the amount of pain I was in before I was put on this med. Also, I like it because it is not like being on a rollercoaster like when you are on other meds like oxycodone (Percocet, Oxycontin, etc.) or hydrocodone (Vicodin, Lorcet, Lortab, Norco, etc.). My doctor started me off on 30 mg. and I was increased in 10 mg. increments over a period of three months until I arrived at my current dosage which seems to work well for me. Some people only need 20-30 mg., some need up to 60-70 mg. My doc said most of her fibro patients that are on it are at about 60 mg. and my doc specializes in treating pain. Methadone feels different than taking other narcotics. At first, it made me really sleepy. After about two weeks as my body got used to it I became less sleepy, but I find that I can sleep A LOT better on it. I can fall asleep during the day if I let myself because for the first few hours after it kicks in it does give you a sort of sleepy, comfy feeling. I try my damndest not to nap during the day since my sleep schedule is so messed up. I'm trying to gain back some semblance of a normal routine. Methadone does feel different than Oxycontin or Vicodin in my opinion. You don't get that big feeling of euphoria, although you do get a relief sort of feeling when it kicks in when you are really hurting. All I can say is that I know of many, many people who have been on Oxycontin or MS Contin or Vicodin or Duragesic patches who switched over to methadone because they were not getting enough relief with the others and they were shocked to find how much pain relief it gives them, myself included. I would not trade it for all the Oxycontin or morphine in the world. I also know that my dose does not have to constantly be adjusted because of tolerance. If it has to be adjusted, it will be because of pain control. I really think you should read up on it or ask your doc about it. When I was seeing my rheumatologist for pain relief (Ultram) I asked her about methadone and she told me that it could not be prescribed for pain, which was very wrong. Do not let anyone tell you that, because no matter what state you are in, it can be used for pain control. More and more doctors in my state (Rhode Island) are prescribing it for pain. I am friends with many pharmacists at the chain drugstore I worked for and they tell me that they get more scripts for it every month. When I worked in a pharmacy we didn't even stock it, it had to be specially ordered. Now most of the busier stores always have it in stock due to the increased demand.

I also wanted to ask you if you know the difference between addiction and dependency? Did you know that it is proven that most people who take narcotic painkillers for pain do not become addicted? Yes, your body will become DEPENDENT on the drug, but not necessarily ADDICTED. Addiction is a psychological problem. Please take the time to read up on that. Most people are scared to start taking an opioid pain medication because they are afraid they will get addicted. You can be dependant on a medication without being addicted to it. Please research this as it may answer some of your questions and put your mind at ease about taking a narcotic pain medication you may possibly need if everything else does not provide you relief.

When I decided to start taking the methadone, I understood that there is a possibility I may have to take it for the rest of my life if I never recover from the fibro and my other illnesses. However, if I do start feeling I don't need as much, I know that my doctor can taper me off of it without worrying that I will be left needing the meds cause of an addictive craving. I've never craved a narcotic pain medication. I've only wanted it when I hurt. Some people start off fine, but then they develop an addiction to the drug and they crave it, more and more, and I do not mean for pain control. That's a whole other story. You should ask your doctor to explain the difference to you as I am by no means a doctor. I have however worked as a certified pharmacy technician and I do know a decent amount about medications and how they work, what they are used for, etc. Please don't feel like I'm trying to push methadone on you because I'm not. I just have had such a positive experience with it and have spoken with SO MANY others who have had the same experience. It has truly saved my life. One other good thing about it is that I do not need anything for breakthrough pain, at least I haven't needed anything so far. I know most people with severe chronic pain need a long acting medication like Oxycontin or MS Contin plus a fast-acting medication like Oxy IR (instant release) or MS IR (morphine sulfate instant release) that is not as long lasting as the Oxycontin or MS Contin. I am thankful that I do not need anything for breakthrough pain because I have a real hard time swallowing pills and the less I have to take, the better. The methadone also does not make me nauseous like all the other pain meds I've tried. I also don't have that loopy feeling that I do not like because I cannot concentrate like that. But, everyone is different and what works like a miracle for me might make you sick and do nothing for you so always, always talk to your doctor. I hope I was of some help. I know this post got a little long- sorry. I just wanted to get my point across. I wish you all the best and please keep in touch and let us know what you try and if it works for you if you so desire. I enjoy hearing what works for other people. Take care and may you have as many pain-free days as possible!

~*Kerrie*~

: : : : : Hello everyone. I am new here but am glad to have found the : group...lots of good info and support. I was diagnosed in December : 2004 after YEARS of chronic pain that was never found to have a cause : (I even had doctors tell me it was in my head!) I am trying to find : some natural remedies, but what I've tried so far hasn't helped. I am : on amyltriptelen, but it really doesn't do anything but make me tired. : My doctor is discussing narcotics with me but I am afraid of : addiction...any ideas or thoughts out there would be apprecvisted. : Thanks...Amy: --- End forwarded message ---: : : : : : : -- : No virus found in this incoming message.: Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.: Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.9.11 - Release Date: 4-14-2005: :

Guest guest

~*Kerrie*~

Guest guest

Hi,

I'm new to Intuitive Eating. I just picked up the book a couple of days

ago and am about a quarter of the way through it. To discover the

concept of Intuitive Eating was a huge relief for me. I'm a major sugar

binger, and while I have had periods of sanity and lucidity during

different phases of my life, the last couple of months I've been getting

into binge mode again, putting on weight (I'm tall and slim and can't

really consider myself to have a weight problem, but we all know how it

feels to suddenly find that all you can fit into are your " fat jeans " !)

and getting more and more restrictive with myself with the inevitable

resultant rebound and rebellious bingeing. I learned a lot from

Kathleen DesMaisons' " Radiant Recovery " program in terms of

nutrition--for example, learning that eating more protein and eating

sugar with a meal kept me more stable--but I found myself obsessing over

the steps required by that program so much that I turned it into just

another strict regimen for myself. I fit the " Careful Eater " profile so

well, that when I read about this type of eating in IE, I was shocked to

discover myself and to see honestly what I was really doing!

Over the last couple of days I've really been trying to put the IE

principles into play, and it's quite a revelation to allow myself to

notice my hunger, actually check in with myself to find out what I

really feel like eating, and then eating it, even though it's not one of

my scheduled " times " to eat or " allowed " foods! I'm going to let myself

feel comfortable in these fat jeans of mine for as long as I need to and

try to enjoy my food and my new freedom.

I'm glad to have found this group and look forward to sharing experience

and insight with you all.

Guest guest

Welcome ! Happy to have you here and looking forward to your

sharing other insights as you travel your iE journey. Do post whatever

you are feeling and experiencing as it helps us as much as you :)

Best to you - Katcha

>

>

> Hi,

>

> I'm new to Intuitive Eating. I just picked up the book a couple of days

> ago and am about a quarter of the way through it. To discover the

> concept of Intuitive Eating was a huge relief for me. I'm a major sugar

> binger, and while I have had periods of sanity and lucidity during

> different phases of my life, the last couple of months I've been getting

> into binge mode again, putting on weight (I'm tall and slim and can't

> really consider myself to have a weight problem, but we all know how it

> feels to suddenly find that all you can fit into are your " fat jeans " !)

> and getting more and more restrictive with myself with the inevitable

> resultant rebound and rebellious bingeing. I learned a lot from

> Kathleen DesMaisons' " Radiant Recovery " program in terms of

> nutrition--for example, learning that eating more protein and eating

> sugar with a meal kept me more stable--but I found myself obsessing over

> the steps required by that program so much that I turned it into just

> another strict regimen for myself. I fit the " Careful Eater " profile so

> well, that when I read about this type of eating in IE, I was shocked to

> discover myself and to see honestly what I was really doing!

>

> Over the last couple of days I've really been trying to put the IE

> principles into play, and it's quite a revelation to allow myself to

> notice my hunger, actually check in with myself to find out what I

> really feel like eating, and then eating it, even though it's not one of

> my scheduled " times " to eat or " allowed " foods! I'm going to let myself

> feel comfortable in these fat jeans of mine for as long as I need to and

> try to enjoy my food and my new freedom.

>

> I'm glad to have found this group and look forward to sharing experience

> and insight with you all.

>

>

>