research goes unfunded or kept out of the mass channels. But in ITALY,

there have been trials that show that all vitamin C delivery systems

except grapefruit-based natural ones cause excess aldosterone

production, because they act as salts initially. I know I have to put

this into the files section, soon as I get over my bronchitis. This is

especially true of the ascorbates (like Emergen-C), which deliver more

ascorbic acid into serum by starting out as minerals, and are converted

to acids by the body. BUT, " those give the kidneys and glands hella

work to do this job, " as my bio-research assistant daughter says.

I used ascorbates and other mineral-based vit C's, and have had fewer

and less severe colds, BUT lower K and kidney stones for my effort.

The tie to PA seems sensible, but I have not found the study yet.

Garlic shows up all over the place in hypertension reduction study, but

it takes a good long while (3 mos w/o other factors like increased

exercise), and how to get the raw, 3-6 natural garlic cloves daily

without problems is hard. Even the best supplement (Kyolic) is so

weak, I'm not sure it will do much except kill bacteria that keep

fungus under control, so you might end up with menalia, or other fungal

problems of the mucous membranes.

Dave

On Apr 10, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Farah Rahbar wrote:

> Hi Dave,

>  

> I took 3000-4000 mg of Vit C, in the form of powder Emerg'ncy brand +

> garlic and bunch of other good stuff, but did not see any improvement.

> Have you seen any research on that?

>  

> Farah 

>

> Dave <dave@...> wrote:

> " primary aldosteronism, " the unbrella term used nowadays for the

> variants of renin-angiotnesin mlfuctions resulting in too much aldo,

> too little renin, odd cortisol, salt and potassium imbalances.

> Starting to look more and more as an underlying condition, if not

> cause

> of many hypertensions. Reason I ask is this is what this group is

> dedicated to, and second, that ascorbic acid, and even more, the

> carbonates and mineral ascorbates used to deliver vitamin C are

> potential antagonists, of this problem.

>

> Dave

>

>

> On Apr 10, 2005, at 10:25 AM, ken wrote:

>

> > What is " PA "

> > Re: vitamins

> >

> > Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I

> > have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals,

> > including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to

> > find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as

> > hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one

> > who knows both, I have never found.

> >

> > The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries

> > have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and

> > quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best

> > way to control these things.

> >

> > Dave

> >

Guest guest

Always to to PUBMED to find reliable research on anything you want to put in your body.

It is tough to play the big game: you bet your life.

May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDClinical Professor of Internal MedicineProfessor of EpidemiologyBoard Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Hypertension

Re: vitamins

Improvement in BP? No, I have looked, but the vitamin people don't like stuff counter to their products much more than the pharmaceutical ones do. Typically, in the USA you can't make medical claims, so research goes unfunded or kept out of the mass channels. But in ITALY, there have been trials that show that all vitamin C delivery systems except grapefruit-based natural ones cause excess aldosterone production, because they act as salts initially. I know I have to put this into the files section, soon as I get over my bronchitis. This is especially true of the ascorbates (like Emergen-C), which deliver more ascorbic acid into serum by starting out as minerals, and are converted to acids by the body. BUT, "those give the kidneys and glands hella work to do this job," as my bio-research assistant daughter says. I used ascorbates and other mineral-based vit C's, and have had fewer and less severe colds, BUT lower K and kidney stones for my effort. The tie to PA seems sensible, but I have not found the study yet. Garlic shows up all over the place in hypertension reduction study, but it takes a good long while (3 mos w/o other factors like increased exercise), and how to get the raw, 3-6 natural garlic cloves daily without problems is hard. Even the best supplement (Kyolic) is so weak, I'm not sure it will do much except kill bacteria that keep fungus under control, so you might end up with menalia, or other fungal problems of the mucous membranes. Dave On Apr 10, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Farah Rahbar wrote: > Hi Dave, > > I took 3000-4000 mg of Vit C, in the form of powder Emerg'ncy brand + > garlic and bunch of other good stuff, but did not see any improvement. > Have you seen any research on that? > > Farah > > Dave <dave@...> wrote: > "primary aldosteronism," the unbrella term used nowadays for the > variants of renin-angiotnesin mlfuctions resulting in too much aldo, > too little renin, odd cortisol, salt and potassium imbalances. > Starting to look more and more as an underlying condition, if not > cause > of many hypertensions. Reason I ask is this is what this group is > dedicated to, and second, that ascorbic acid, and even more, the > carbonates and mineral ascorbates used to deliver vitamin C are > potential antagonists, of this problem. > > Dave > > > On Apr 10, 2005, at 10:25 AM, ken wrote: > > > What is "PA" > > Re: vitamins > > > > Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I > > have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals, > > including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to > > find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as > > hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one > > who knows both, I have never found. > > > > The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries > > have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and > > quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best > > way to control these things. > > > > Dave > >

Guest guest

I dont know what you mean by good stuff. Be sure it is not deadly stuff. You bet your life!

May your pressure be low!CE Grim MDClinical Professor of Internal MedicineProfessor of EpidemiologyBoard Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Hypertension

Hi Dave,

I took 3000-4000 mg of Vit C, in the form of powder Emerg'ncy brand + garlic and bunch of other good stuff, but did not see any improvement. Have you seen any research on that?

Farah Dave <dave@...> wrote:

"primary aldosteronism," the unbrella term used nowadays for the variants of renin-angiotnesin mlfuctions resulting in too much aldo, too little renin, odd cortisol, salt and potassium imbalances. Starting to look more and more as an underlying condition, if not cause of many hypertensions. Reason I ask is this is what this group is dedicated to, and second, that ascorbic acid, and even more, the carbonates and mineral ascorbates used to deliver vitamin C are potential antagonists, of this problem.DaveOn Apr 10, 2005, at 10:25 AM, ken wrote:> What is "PA"> Re: vitamins>> Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I > have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals, > including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to > find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as > hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one > who knows both, I have never found.>> The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries > have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and > quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best > way to control these things.>> Dave>> On Apr 9, 2005, at 9:34 PM, lowerbp2@... wrote:>>>> In a message dated 4/9/05 14:20:36, schw9883@... writes:>>

Guest guest

Dont think other countires do any QC on vitamins etc. Few others have as good of an FDA as we do. Even with all their problems. Of course Congress forbade them from regulating food supplements. A few more deaths from suupplements and we should be able to get this changed. I trust some site is keeping a list of those who become severely ill or die from using unregulated vitamins, supplements etc.

Maybe Dave knows of such a site.

Writer yoru congressman woman if you want to have some assurance that the stuff you buy does not contain mercury or arsenic or other powerful herbs that can cause high blood pressure and low K.

What is "PA"

Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals, including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one who knows both, I have never found.The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best way to control these things.DaveOn Apr 9, 2005, at 9:34 PM, lowerbp2@... wrote:

In a message dated 4/9/05 14:20:36, schw9883@... writes:I was taking dostinex for a microadenoma prolactin tumor.I drank a large coke during the day. Can't remember the rest sincethis was about a week ago.I take alot of vitamins and herbs:Vit cMultiple Vitginkgomilk thistleb complextaurineL carntineFlax seed Oilb12vit esaw palmettoquercitenWhat is in querciten?omega 3 capsulesthank you for your assistance

Guest guest

Please let me look at their data on Vit C first.

May your pressure be low!

Clarence E. Grim, BS (Chem/Math), MS (Biochem), MD, FACP, FACC, FAHS

Clinical Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology

Director, Hypertension Diagnosis and Treatment Center

Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Hypertension

Published over 220 scientific papers, book chapters and 220 abstracts in the area of high blood pressure epidemiology, physiology, endocrinology measurement, treatment and how to detect curable causes.

Listed in Best Doctors in America

Specializing in Difficult to Control High Blood Pressure and the History and Physiology of High Blood pressure in the African Diaspora

Guest guest

In a message dated 4/10/05 15:01:02, farahbar@... writes:

I would be very interested in knowing any nutropathic doctors who are familiar with this condition as well.

I would avoid these folks like the plague-I can assure you that you will get better and free advice here.

May your pressure be low!

Clarence E. Grim, BS (Chem/Math), MS (Biochem), MD, FACP, FACC, FAHS

Clinical Professor of Medicine and Epidemiology

Director, Hypertension Diagnosis and Treatment Center

Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Hypertension

Published over 220 scientific papers, book chapters and 220 abstracts in the area of high blood pressure epidemiology, physiology, endocrinology measurement, treatment and how to detect curable causes.

Listed in Best Doctors in America

Specializing in Difficult to Control High Blood Pressure and the History and Physiology of High Blood pressure in the African Diaspora

Guest guest

My family and I have been taking Emergen-C for yrs. I specially increased mine. I was taking 3-5 pks a day when my bp was up before I was diagnosed. I wonder if that caused my aldosterone to be sooo high. Although I was'nt taking it about a month before my last test. Very interesting information.

FarahDave <dave@...> wrote:

Improvement in BP? No, I have looked, but the vitamin people don't like stuff counter to their products much more than the pharmaceutical ones do. Typically, in the USA you can't make medical claims, so research goes unfunded or kept out of the mass channels. But in ITALY, there have been trials that show that all vitamin C delivery systems except grapefruit-based natural ones cause excess aldosterone production, because they act as salts initially. I know I have to put this into the files section, soon as I get over my bronchitis. This is especially true of the ascorbates (like Emergen-C), which deliver more ascorbic acid into serum by starting out as minerals, and are converted to acids by the body. BUT, "those give the kidneys and glands hella work to do this job," as my bio-research assistant daughter says.I used ascorbates and

other mineral-based vit C's, and have had fewer and less severe colds, BUT lower K and kidney stones for my effort. The tie to PA seems sensible, but I have not found the study yet.Garlic shows up all over the place in hypertension reduction study, but it takes a good long while (3 mos w/o other factors like increased exercise), and how to get the raw, 3-6 natural garlic cloves daily without problems is hard. Even the best supplement (Kyolic) is so weak, I'm not sure it will do much except kill bacteria that keep fungus under control, so you might end up with menalia, or other fungal problems of the mucous membranes.DaveOn Apr 10, 2005, at 7:09 PM, Farah Rahbar wrote:> Hi Dave,> > I took 3000-4000 mg of Vit C, in the form of powder Emerg'ncy brand + > garlic and bunch of other good stuff, but did not see any improvement. > Have you seen any research on that?>

> Farah >> Dave wrote:> "primary aldosteronism," the unbrella term used nowadays for the> variants of renin-angiotnesin mlfuctions resulting in too much aldo,> too little renin, odd cortisol, salt and potassium imbalances.> Starting to look more and more as an underlying condition, if not > cause> of many hypertensions. Reason I ask is this is what this group is> dedicated to, and second, that ascorbic acid, and even more, the> carbonates and mineral ascorbates used to deliver vitamin C are> potential antagonists, of this problem.>> Dave>>> On Apr 10, 2005, at 10:25 AM, ken wrote:>> > What is "PA"> > Re:

vitamins> >> > Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I> > have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals,> > including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to> > find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as> > hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one> > who knows both, I have never found.> >> > The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries> > have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and> > quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best> > way to control these things.> >> > Dave> >

Guest guest

Farah, I take Spiro plus potassium supplements and eat foods high in potassium. Personally, I'd rather adjust my medication around my diet than adjust my diet around my medication. If your K runs high on Spiro when you eat a lot of fruits, etc., can you lower your dose and still keep your BP under control?

I get fairly regular blood tests and almost every Dr. I see (for whatever reason) is good about writing up an order for to check K levels if I request it. Last year I lost 60 pounds and have blood tests monthly to monitor K. I've gained a few back and am having a harder time losing 10 on my own because I'll stick to small portions closely for three days and end up with muscle cramping the next day (too bad I can't count that exercise, eh?)

Take care,

Hi, do you have PA or one of its variants? Pls could you summarize? I have much experience with people who use vitamins & minerals, including my own earlier usage, who have this disease. It is hard to find a doctor who has experience w/this affliction, and not quite as hard to find one that uses naturopathic methods in the USA, but one who knows both, I have never found.The isolated nutrients are hard to figure in the USA. Other countries have far more experience--both with usage as well as preparation and quality control standards. Sales & marketing is not exactly the best way to control these things.DaveOn Apr 9, 2005, at 9:34 PM, lowerbp2@... wrote:

In a message dated 4/9/05 14:20:36, schw9883@... writes:I was taking dostinex for a microadenoma prolactin tumor.I drank a large coke during the day. Can't remember the rest sincethis was about a week ago.I take alot of vitamins and herbs:Vit cMultiple Vitginkgomilk thistleb complextaurineL carntineFlax seed Oilb12vit esaw palmettoquercitenWhat is in querciten?omega 3 capsulesthank you for your assistance

Guest guest

All of those things are discussed here along many others!

Welcome to the group.

If y ou haven't read 's book I would start there. http://enzymestuff.com/

I am really glad i started enzymes first, because then i didn't have to start

over again and try to figure out if things needed to be readjusted. Many kids

also don't tolerate vitamins and minerals to begin with, And so far we have

never had this problem with starting enzymes first.

Joy <j-joy@...> wrote:

I am new to this group. It is nice to know that there are groups

available for us to discuss any questions we may have regarding our

children. My son is Autistic and he is 6 years old. I have had him on

vitamins and am looking for any suggestions on what other families have

given there children and what has worked or not worked for them. I am

currently looking on the Kirkman labs website and have thought of

purchasing Pro-Bio Gold, Colostrum Gold, Acidophilus Powder, Cranberry

Extract, and either the Children's Multi-Vitamin or Super Nu-Thera Hypo

Allergenic. If anyone has any knowledge on what they have given or give

there children can you please advise? Any information would be greatly

appreciated.

Thank You, Joy

---------------------------------

Guest guest

Hi, Joy

You may want to check out Juice Plus+ which is 29 fruits, vegetables,

berries with the water, sugar and salt removed (and free of gluten and

casein) in the convenience of a pill. Since your son is 6, he may also

be eligible to receive it free for upto three full years!

Check out http://www.juiceplus.com/+vc44951 for more information.

Don't forget to visit the section on the Children's Health Study,

which will tell you more about getting it free for your any child aged

between 6 and 15 years.

With best wishes,

Vivek.

> I am new to this group. It is nice to know that there are groups

> available for us to discuss any questions we may have regarding our

> children. My son is Autistic and he is 6 years old. I have had him on

> vitamins and am looking for any suggestions on what other families have

> given there children and what has worked or not worked for them. I am

> currently looking on the Kirkman labs website and have thought of

> purchasing Pro-Bio Gold, Colostrum Gold, Acidophilus Powder, Cranberry

> Extract, and either the Children's Multi-Vitamin or Super Nu-Thera Hypo

> Allergenic. If anyone has any knowledge on what they have given or give

> there children can you please advise? Any information would be greatly

> appreciated.

> Thank You, Joy

Guest guest

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to

sublingual b12. Compliance has been good...

deannamachac wrote:

I recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs

are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to

a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what

most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to

share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be

appreciated. Thanks!

Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

This email message is

confidential, intended only for the recipient(s) named above and may

contain

information that is privileged, exempt from discloser under applicable

law. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose or

disseminate this message to anyone except the intended recipient. If

you

have received this message in error, or are not the recipient(s),

please

immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete all copies of

this

message.

Attachment: vcard [not shown]

Guest guest

For how long are is it recommended to take the two multis and one b-vitamin after the rygb?

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

kshattler@..."kkoster@..." <kkoster@...> wrote:

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to sublingual b12. Compliance has been good...deannamachac wrote: I recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be appreciated. Thanks!Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

Sports Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

Guest guest

We rec. double the adult dosage of MVI for at least 6 weeks post op,

then continuation if lab values deem necessary. Otherwise, they can go

down to one MVI/day.

Sublinqual bcomplex for lifetime

Kathy Shattler wrote:

For how long are is it recommended to take the two multis and

one b-vitamin after the rygb?

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

kshattler@...

"kkoster@..." <kkoster@...> wrote:

We

recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to

deannamachac wrote:

I

recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs

are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to

a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what

most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to

share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be

appreciated. Thanks!

Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

Sports

Rekindle

the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

--

Kasey Koster

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

This email message is

confidential, intended only for the recipient(s) named above and may

contain

information that is privileged, exempt from discloser under applicable

disseminate this message to anyone except the intended recipient. If

you

have received this message in error, or are not the recipient(s),

please

immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete all copies of

this

message.

Attachment: vcard [not shown]

Guest guest

What liquid vitamin do you take? Where do you buy it? I tried a

liquid but upchucked at the smell when I opened the bottle!!

Thanks,

Karin

> I take liquid vitamins now, but at the beginning I would cut them

in half

> with a pill cutter and take them every two hours and they were not

as hard

> on me. I still take the extra iron everyday it is the slow-FE

iron it is

> extremely gentle on my stomach and I don't get constipated with

it. They

> are small pills and I take it twice a day. I have blood work done

at three

> months and it was all good.

> Lourdes

>

>

> >From: " pbcgirl21 " <dadsgirl2183@a...>

> >Reply-

> >

> >Subject: vitamins

> >Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:03:15 -0000

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >does anyone know of any small sized vitamins? being only 2 1/2

weeks

> >

> >out... taking large pills are hard and i can't always get them to

stay

> >

> >down. i need to find some small sized vitamins with iron in them.

any

> >

> >suggestions? thanks

> >

> >courtney

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Hi ,

Walgreen's sales a Multiple Vitamins with Iron that a small and

easy to take. I have not had any problems with them.

Neighbors

Enchanted Glass Creations

Stained & Leaded Glass Designs

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

Reply-

Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:03:15 -0000

>does anyone know of any small sized vitamins? being only 2 1/2

weeks

>out... taking large pills are hard and i can't always get them to

stay

>down. i need to find some small sized vitamins with iron in them.

any

>suggestions? thanks

>courtney

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Centrum also makes a chewable vitamin for adults.

in Phoenix

> Hi ,

>

> Walgreen's sales a Multiple Vitamins with Iron that a small and

> easy to take. I have not had any problems with them.

>

> Neighbors

> Enchanted Glass Creations

> Stained & Leaded Glass Designs

>

>

>

> ---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

> From: " pbcgirl21 " <dadsgirl2183@...>

> Reply-

> Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:03:15 -0000

>

>>does anyone know of any small sized vitamins? being only 2 1/2

> weeks

>>out... taking large pills are hard and i can't always get them to

> stay

>>down. i need to find some small sized vitamins with iron in them.

> any

>>suggestions? thanks

>>courtney

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

>>

Guest guest

Try the liquid ones. I just cannot do vitamin pills anymore. They

really bother my stomach.

good luck

nancy in texas

> does anyone know of any small sized vitamins? being only 2 1/2 weeks

> out... taking large pills are hard and i can't always get them to

stay

> down. i need to find some small sized vitamins with iron in them.

any

> suggestions? thanks

> courtney

Guest guest

If you check the label however I believe the Centrum " adult " chewable

is the same formulation as the " children's " chewable... they were not

equal the last time I checked.

in GA

> ,

> Centrum also makes a chewable vitamin for adults.

> in Phoenix

> Re: vitamins

>

>

> > Hi ,

> >

> > Walgreen's sales a Multiple Vitamins with Iron that a small and

> > easy to take. I have not had any problems with them.

> >

> > Neighbors

> > Enchanted Glass Creations

> > Stained & Leaded Glass Designs

> >

> >

> >

> > ---------- Original Message ----------------------------------

> > From: " pbcgirl21 " <dadsgirl2183@a...>

> > Reply-

> > Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 13:03:15 -0000

> >

> >>does anyone know of any small sized vitamins? being only 2 1/2

> > weeks

> >>out... taking large pills are hard and i can't always get them to

> > stay

> >>down. i need to find some small sized vitamins with iron in them.

> > any

> >>suggestions? thanks

> >>courtney

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

> >>

Guest guest

Hi Kasey

Can you tell me what your post-op vitamin protocol is for RYGB patients?

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

CNY Surgical Bariatric Center

Syracuse, NY 13210"kkoster@..." <kkoster@...> wrote:

We rec. double the adult dosage of MVI for at least 6 weeks post op, then continuation if lab values deem necessary. Otherwise, they can go down to one MVI/day. Sublinqual bcomplex for lifetimeKathy Shattler wrote:

For how long are is it recommended to take the two multis and one b-vitamin after the rygb?

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to sublingual b12. Compliance has been good...deannamachac wrote: I recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be appreciated. Thanks!Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

SportsRekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

This email message is confidential, intended only for the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, exempt from discloser under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose or disseminate this message to anyone except the intended recipient. If you have received this message in error, or are not the recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete all copies of this message.

begin:vcardfn:Kasey Kostern:Koster;Kaseyorg:OKlahoma WEIGHT LOSS OPtionsadr;dom:Ste. C;;1230 SW 89th;Oklahoma City ;OK;73139email;internet:kkoster@...title:Dietitiantel;work:405-360-7100tel;fax:405-364-9112url:http://www.owlo.comversion:2.1end:vcard

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

We are at Univerity of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics in Madison WI. We do 200-400 RNY and Lap Band surgeries a year. We have RNY patients take 2 chewable multivitamins with minerals and iron per day (Flinstones complete or Centrum Jr are acceptable, Centrum Silver chewable is ok if they take an iron supplement, but vitamins from Bariatric Advantage, Building Blocks, and Vista Vitamins are also discussed), Calcium citrate, 1200-1500 mg per day, B12 500 mg per day sublingual and we now are recommending that patients take a Bcomplex in addition.

I hope you find this helpful,

Diane Olson MS, RD, CDE

UW Health

(608) 265-1718

Guest guest

Hello Group,

Since we're on the topic of vitamins (and I know this topic has come up in past posts), I'm curious to get feedback on what you all think of "Mega" or "High Potency" multivitamins (with %DV greater than 100%). I've been working as a bariatric RD for more than three years now and have always encouraged these higher potency types over kids chewable or 1-A-Day type vitamins. My concern is that these 1-A-Day type vitamins would not be adequate given their reduced portion sizes and malabsorption issues after surgery. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Beth Goodridge, MS, RDCarina Lagua <carinalagua@...> wrote:

Hi Kasey

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

We rec. double the adult dosage of MVI for at least 6 weeks post op, then continuation if lab values deem necessary. Otherwise, they can go down to one MVI/day. Sublinqual bcomplex for lifetimeKathy Shattler wrote:

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

This email message is confidential, intended only for the recipient(s) named above and may contain information that is privileged, exempt from discloser under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, do not disclose or disseminate this message to anyone except the intended recipient. If you have received this message in error, or are not the recipient(s), please immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete all copies of this message.

begin:vcardfn:Kasey Kostern:Koster;Kaseyorg:OKlahoma WEIGHT LOSS OPtionsadr;dom:Ste. C;;1230 SW 89th;Oklahoma City ;OK;73139email;internet:kkoster@...title:Dietitiantel;work:405-360-7100tel;fax:405-364-9112url:http://www.owlo.comversion:2.1end:vcard

for GoodClick here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

Since we are discussing vitamins – I

attached the handout we give patients with our vitamin/mineral recommendations

on it.

Townsend, RD

Missouri Bariatric Services

[mailto: ]

On Behalf Of Beth Goodridge

Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005

3:34 PM

Subject: Re:

vitamins

Hello Group,

Since we're on the topic of vitamins (and I know this topic

has come up in past posts), I'm curious to get feedback on what you all

think of " Mega " or " High Potency " multivitamins (with %DV

greater than 100%). I've been working as a bariatric RD for more than

three years now and have always encouraged these higher potency types over kids

chewable or 1-A-Day type vitamins. My concern is that these 1-A-Day type

vitamins would not be adequate given their reduced portion sizes and

malabsorption issues after surgery. Any feedback would be greatly

appreciated.

TIA,

Beth Goodridge, MS, RD

Carina Lagua

<carinalagua@...> wrote:

Hi Kasey

Can you tell me what your post-op vitamin protocol is for RYGB

patients?

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

Syracuse,

NY 13210

" kkoster@... "

<kkoster@...> wrote:

We rec. double the adult dosage of MVI for at least 6 weeks post op,

then continuation if lab values deem necessary. Otherwise, they can go down to

one MVI/day.

Sublinqual bcomplex for lifetime

Kathy Shattler wrote:

For how long are is it recommended to take the two multis and one

b-vitamin after the rygb?

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

kshattler@...

" kkoster@... " <kkoster@...>

wrote:

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to

deannamachac wrote:

I recently attended the ASBS

conference and learned that some programs

are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2

multivitamins in addition to

a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am

just wonding if this is what

most programs are doing or is this a new

thing? If anyone wants to

share all of the vitamins their bypass patients

are taking, it would be

appreciated. Thanks!

Deanna

Machac RD

CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

Sports

Rekindle

the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

405-360-7100

This email

message is confidential, intended only for the recipient(s) named above and may

contain information that is privileged, exempt from discloser under applicable

disseminate this message to anyone except the intended recipient. If you

have received this message in error, or are not the recipient(s), please

immediately notify the sender by return email, and delete all copies of this

message.

begin:vcard

fn:Kasey Koster

n:Koster;Kasey

org:OKlahoma

WEIGHT LOSS OPtions

adr;dom:Ste. C;;1230 SW 89th;Oklahoma

City ;OK;73139

email;internet:kkoster@...

title:Dietitian

tel;work:405-360-7100

tel;fax:405-364-9112

url:http://www.owlo.com

version:2.1

end:vcard

for Good

Click here to donate to

the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

I recommend a Bariatric Advantage or Optisource specialty vitamin for about the 1st 6 months, Once there calories have increased I usually recommend a childrens chewable * 2/day with b12 and extra calcium or adult mvi *2 day with b12 and calcium and continue to monitor labs as necessary.

JerryCarina Lagua <carinalagua@...> wrote:

Hi Kasey

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

for Good Click here to donate to the Hurricane Katrina relief effort.

Guest guest

Do most of you only recommend bariatric specific vitamins to your patients after bypass surgery? I don't remember ever seeing those recommendations from such organizations as ASBS or ADA to use special vitamins. If these are what are recommended, could you please provide literature or evidence supporting this. I usually just recommend a complete MVI (child's chewable for 1st 6 weeks and adult after 6 weeks post-op). Also, do a majority of you recommend Omega-3 supplementation after surgery? If so when do you have them start and what dose. I've tried the orange cream one I believe called Coromega, it was good. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gregoline, RD

Columbus Regional Hospital

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Townsend, R.Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:06 PM Subject: RE: vitamins

Since we are discussing vitamins - I attached the handout we give patients with our vitamin/mineral recommendations on it.

Townsend, RDMissouri Bariatric Services

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Beth GoodridgeSent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:34 PM Subject: Re: vitamins

Hello Group,

Since we're on the topic of vitamins (and I know this topic has come up in past posts), I'm curious to get feedback on what you all think of "Mega" or "High Potency" multivitamins (with %DV greater than 100%). I've been working as a bariatric RD for more than three years now and have always encouraged these higher potency types over kids chewable or 1-A-Day type vitamins. My concern is that these 1-A-Day type vitamins would not be adequate given their reduced portion sizes and malabsorption issues after surgery. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Hi Kasey

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to sublingual b12. Compliance has been good...deannamachac wrote:

I recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be appreciated. Thanks!Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

Guest guest

I am new to this group and have the same questions as regarding bariatric specific vs standard vitamin supplements. Does anyone have any references/studies/literature to support whether some forms of vitamins are more readily absorbed than others after RNY? We recommend 2 chewable childrens multivitamins daily for the first 6 weeks or until they can swallow pills - then change to 2 standard adult MVIs daily. One of our surgeons would like us to change our recommendation to bariatric specific vitamins. I would really like to have some documentation to support a request for change if it is valid.

Thanks

Betty , MS, RD, LDN, CNSD Manager Nutrition Care Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point 14000 Fivay Road Hudson, FL 34667 phone: 727-869-5503 fax: 727-861-5104 email: betty.davis@...

RE: vitamins

Do most of you only recommend bariatric specific vitamins to your patients after bypass surgery? I don't remember ever seeing those recommendations from such organizations as ASBS or ADA to use special vitamins. If these are what are recommended, could you please provide literature or evidence supporting this. I usually just recommend a complete MVI (child's chewable for 1st 6 weeks and adult after 6 weeks post-op). Also, do a majority of you recommend Omega-3 supplementation after surgery? If so when do you have them start and what dose. I've tried the orange cream one I believe called Coromega, it was good. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gregoline, RD

Columbus Regional Hospital

-----Original Message-----From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Townsend, R.Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 4:06 PM Subject: RE: vitamins

Since we are discussing vitamins - I attached the handout we give patients with our vitamin/mineral recommendations on it.

Townsend, RDMissouri Bariatric Services

From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of Beth GoodridgeSent: Thursday, September 22, 2005 3:34 PM Subject: Re: vitamins

Hello Group,

TIA,

Hi Kasey

Thank you!

Carina Lagua MA, RD, CDE

Kathy Shattler, M.S.,RD

We recommend 2 chewable MVI (one in am, one in pm), in addition to sublingual b12. Compliance has been good...deannamachac wrote:

I recently attended the ASBS conference and learned that some programs are encouraging RYGB patients to take a 2 multivitamins in addition to a B complex vitamin(for the thiamin. I am just wonding if this is what most programs are doing or is this a new thing? If anyone wants to share all of the vitamins their bypass patients are taking, it would be appreciated. Thanks!Deanna Machac RD CD

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100

--

Kasey Koster

Dietitian

405-360-7100