RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: VersaTrap

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dawne,

I thought the cut off for AOC was 2.5 micron. How do you see smaller spores than the cut off?

It's a d50 -- 50% are cut off at that size. But the mass of the spore (degree of desiccation) is the (proximate) determinant of whether a given spore impacts, not the diameter, per se. It has to do with the momentum of the particle in the air stream.

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

I thought the cut off for AOC was 2.5 micron. How do you see smaller spores than the cut off?

It's a d50 -- 50% are cut off at that size. But the mass of the spore (degree of desiccation) is the (proximate) determinant of whether a given spore impacts, not the diameter, per se. It has to do with the momentum of the particle in the air stream.

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Dawne,

Steve Temes

Guest guest

That's a good point. Those chemicals/cell components in the dust (airborne or source) are usually not tested. When people is reacting to something in the building and it's not spores or hyphal fragments, you should probably look further. Wei Tang QLabAirwaysEnv@... wrote: In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:29:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, garyrosen72652

writes: I believe that mold fragments from dried up and decaying mold can be a/the major problem when people exhibit mold illness according to their doctors ... but spore counts were low. But it may be that dried out spores between 1.5 and 2.5 micron (invisible to AOC) are a significant factor.The MASS of the spore when wet vs. when dry will also determine whether it is captured by impaction because the trajectory of the spore is primarily a function of its momentum. The lighter spores, not just smaller in diameter spores, will travel with the air stream around the slide and not impact.I

believe that there is likely to be nasty chemical stuff from mold in the growth substrate because this is where the digestive enzymes and waste products are excreted and the "battleground" where mycotoxins would be effective in protecting the colony from competitors. So, in addition to spore and hyphal fragments, I think fine dust from colonized growth substrate is where mycotoxins and other exudates from mold would be coming from if you find them in the air in the absence of spores. In my experience, when accumulations of organic dust are colonized (when wet) and then dry out, this loose dust IS the substrate and can become airborne very easily. This is why I recommend strongly that all dust reservoirs be removed thoroughly. Colonized wood and paper can be a source of airborne allergens and mycotoxins, but not as easily as colonized dust can be.Steve Temes Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

That's a good point. Those chemicals/cell components in the dust (airborne or source) are usually not tested. When people is reacting to something in the building and it's not spores or hyphal fragments, you should probably look further. Wei Tang QLabAirwaysEnv@... wrote: In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:29:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, garyrosen72652

writes: I believe that mold fragments from dried up and decaying mold can be a/the major problem when people exhibit mold illness according to their doctors ... but spore counts were low. But it may be that dried out spores between 1.5 and 2.5 micron (invisible to AOC) are a significant factor.The MASS of the spore when wet vs. when dry will also determine whether it is captured by impaction because the trajectory of the spore is primarily a function of its momentum. The lighter spores, not just smaller in diameter spores, will travel with the air stream around the slide and not impact.I

believe that there is likely to be nasty chemical stuff from mold in the growth substrate because this is where the digestive enzymes and waste products are excreted and the "battleground" where mycotoxins would be effective in protecting the colony from competitors. So, in addition to spore and hyphal fragments, I think fine dust from colonized growth substrate is where mycotoxins and other exudates from mold would be coming from if you find them in the air in the absence of spores. In my experience, when accumulations of organic dust are colonized (when wet) and then dry out, this loose dust IS the substrate and can become airborne very easily. This is why I recommend strongly that all dust reservoirs be removed thoroughly. Colonized wood and paper can be a source of airborne allergens and mycotoxins, but not as easily as colonized dust can be.Steve Temes Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest