RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: VersaTrap

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I just bought some.

Appear to be the same as Air-O-Cells

(AOCs), slit size, etc. lightly different bounce data.

Based on data I have on AOCs (Klaus

Willeke – using mold spores and solid beads) and on VersaTraap (Tech

Bulletin from SKC – using potassium sodium tartrate).

I am still trying them out though.

Tony

" Tony " Havics,

CHMM, CIH, PE

pH2, LLC

5250 E US

36, Suite 830

Avon, IN

off

fax

cell

90% of Risk Management is knowing where to

place the decimal point...any consultant can give you the other 10%(SM)

This message is from pH2. This message and

any attachments may contain legally privileged or confidential information, and

are intended only for the individual or entity identified above as the

addressee. If you are not the addressee, or if this message has been addressed

to you in error, you are not authorized to read, copy, or distribute this

message and any attachments, and we ask that you please delete this message and

attachments (including all copies) and notify the sender by return e-mail or by

phone at . Delivery of this message and any attachments to any

person other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended in any way to waive

confidentiality or a privilege. All personal messages express views only of the

sender, which are not to be attributed to pH2 and may not be copied or

distributed without this statement.

From: iequality [mailto:iequality ] On Behalf Of gary rosen

Sent: Friday, March 23, 2007 7:01

PM

To: iequality

Subject: VersaTrap

http://www.skcinc.com/instructions/1642.pdf

Has anyone been using the new VersaTrap cassette from

SKC? This captures very small spores (down to 1.5 micron) not captured by

Air-O-Cell and runs up to 30 lpm with what appears to be very good

characteristics ... and allows 150 liter sampling in only 5 minutes.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health.org

Never

miss an email again!

Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives.

Check it out.

Guest guest

So, I'm assuming that those very small spores that Air-O-Cell doesn't capture are usually aspergillus/penicillium general types, right?Which of the asp/pen species have those small aerodynamic diameters? (2.5

microns and under) Is it all of them or just some of them?Aspergillus funimatus, versicolor, xxx? or ???Penicillium xxx???Is there anywhere I can find a list of the ones captured vs. the ones not captured and the maybes?

Guest guest

Thanks for the input Tony.

The cool thing about the VersaTraps is that if you operate them at 30 lpm they trap the smallest Pen/Asp spores that AOC does not ... plus you get 150 liters in 5 minutes.

I bought some of the Relle traps that say they work down to .8 micron. But you don't need .8 micron as that is too small for a visual count; and you need to run the Relle cassettes for hours to get a good size sample since they dramatically cut down on the air flow.

Rosen

www.Mold-Books.com

VersaTrap

http://www.skcinc. com/instructions /1642.pdf

Has anyone been using the new VersaTrap cassette from SKC? This captures very small spores (down to 1.5 micron) not captured by Air-O-Cell and runs up to 30 lpm with what appears to be very good characteristics ... and allows 150 liter sampling in only 5 minutes.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health. org

Never miss an email again!Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

Guest guest

Since this discussion is in the general area, I have been getting e-ads from EMLab for a sale on Air-O-Cells. They are on sale for $5.50 each for 17 more days, in case anyone is interested. Usual disclaimers, disavowals and other such dises applied.

Matt Klein

Make sure you will be able to use them before their expiration dates.

Steve Temes

Guest guest

Since this discussion is in the general area, I have been

getting e-ads from EMLab for a sale on Air-O-Cells. They are on

sale for $5.50 each for 17 more days, in case anyone is interested.

Usual disclaimers, disavowals and other such dises applied.

Matt Klein

Guest guest

So, I'm assuming

that those very small spores that Air-O-Cell doesn't capture are usually

aspergillus/penicillium general types, right? . . .

I expect Wei to weigh in on this one; but I am going to put my couple

cents down now. You cannot say that since a single spore of a

certain size will not be captured by a sampler with characteristics that

show it does not collect that particle size. The sampler might not

collect them effectively. But, some spores of species with smaller

spore size will be captured if for any reason that there will be clumps

of the spores that form a larger particle size that the sampler collects

effectively. Another factor is whether those species will be

identified accurately anyway at the magnification used for sampler

analysis. Clumps of spores might be identifiable at a certain

magnification, while individual spores might not. And, exactly how

do you count clumps of spores--are they equal to single spores in the

counting?

I guess my point here is that even if certain spores are found on any of

the air samplers, you cannot always trust the concentrations.

Likewise, if a certain species is not found, you cannot always trust that

it was not present. You need to know not only the limits of the

sampler. You need to know the limits of the analysis and the

characteristics of the stuff floating around in the air. If you are

putting your full faith and trust in air samples for any bioaerosol,

well, that's just not right.

If what is written looks too stupid to be written by me, I disclaim

it. On

the other hand, if it is brilliant, then I have no one to blame but

myself.

Otherwise, whether you choose to accept my opinion is up to you.

K. Klein, PE ME, MBA

Indoor Air Quality Solutions, Inc.

2523 SR 133

Bethel, OH 45106-0007

VOICE:

FAX: (with notice)

E-mail: mkklein68@...

When I was younger, I had all of the answers.

As I get older, I have discovered the questions.

Guest guest

When Air-O-Cell was introduced years ago, it made the same claim of

allowing the user to sample at higher flowrates to achieve the same

goal of lower cutpoints. Quoting Dan Baxter:

" Significant research was performed during the design of the Air-O-Cell

to determine the 'most appropriate' cut-point, face velocity, and inlet

shape to provide a balance between analyst readability and collection

of smaller and larger particles alike. "

The result of the research was that 15LPM provided that balance.

The Air-O-Cell can also be used to sample at 20, 25, even 30 LPM if the

user chooses to do so. Specific data about sampling at higher flowrates

is in the AOC Users Guide from Zefon as well as the original product

literature.

Guest guest

literature.

While you may capture more of the smaller, lower mass spores by impaction at higher velocities, you have to worry about bounce of the larger spores from the adhesive coated surface and overloading of the slide with background debris. These are trade-offs.

I hope Wei weighs in.

Steve Temes

Guest guest

literature.

While you may capture more of the smaller, lower mass spores by impaction at higher velocities, you have to worry about bounce of the larger spores from the adhesive coated surface and overloading of the slide with background debris. These are trade-offs.

I hope Wei weighs in.

Steve Temes

Guest guest

I recieved an e-mail as well that LA Testing is offering $5.40 each for Air O Cell cassettes ($270 for a 50 Pack) until March 31, 2007. What really has me excited is the Relle Smart Cassette, offered by EMSL Analytical, that allows me to sample for fungi over 24 Hours for great data! These cassettes are a bit expensive at $10 each, but worth it. Matt Klein wrote: Since this discussion is in the general area, I have been getting e-ads from EMLab for a sale on

Air-O-Cells. They are on sale for $5.50 each for 17 more days, in case anyone is interested. Usual disclaimers, disavowals and other such dises applied.Matt Klein

TV dinner still cooling?Check out "Tonight's Picks" on Yahoo! TV.

Guest guest

Make

sure you will be able to use them before their expiration

dates.

Steve brings up a good point. Does anyone know how this

expiration date is established? How much decrement is there for

samplers used after their expiration date? What environmental

storage parameters impact the samplers? I have seen little to no

information on these topics for these samplers and I'm curious.

Matt Klein

Guest guest

Matt,

When Air-O-Cell was designed by Zefon, Zefon wanted to create a " safe

window " of opportunity to use the product where the adhesive would

continue to be of the same tackiness from when it was produced. That

is why the Air-O-Cell has a 12 month shelf life from when it is made.

Beyond the 12 months, the adhesive on the AOC slide begins to lose its

tack.

Guest guest

Matt,

When Air-O-Cell was designed by Zefon, Zefon wanted to create a " safe

window " of opportunity to use the product where the adhesive would

continue to be of the same tackiness from when it was produced. That

is why the Air-O-Cell has a 12 month shelf life from when it is made.

Beyond the 12 months, the adhesive on the AOC slide begins to lose its

tack.

Guest guest

Matt,

Go to the SKC web site and download the specs on the VersaTrap. It is pretty interesting what happens. As you increase the lpm from 15 to 30 you collect the smallest particles.

BTW ... when you get back lab results and it says Pen/Asp this is actually Pen/Asp-like spores which is anything in that size range and includes Tricoderma and others.

I completely agree with you about trusting air sampling. But of course sampling can be of value and the more information you get the better even if the info is flawed. So IMO you would like to see small Pen/Asp-like spores rather than not see them.

In my experience the biggest problem in testing is that visible analysis does not detect mold fragments.

I just did a set of pre-remediation baseline tests at a location where the owner was complaining of irritant effects from mold. Air samples showed very, very little total spore count. Carpet samples showed very, very little total spore count. But a carpet sample that I sent out for DNA analysis showed very high levels of mold genetic content. This fit with the irritation level but was invisible unless you did the DNA (PCR) analysis.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

So, I'm assuming that those very small spores that Air-O-Cell doesn't capture are usually aspergillus/ penicillium general types, right? . . . I expect Wei to weigh in on this one; but I am going to put my couple cents down now. You cannot say that since a single spore of a certain size will not be captured by a sampler with characteristics that show it does not collect that particle size. The sampler might not collect them effectively. But, some spores of species with smaller spore size will be captured if for any reason that there will be clumps of the spores that form a larger particle size that the sampler collects effectively. Another factor is whether those species will be identified accurately anyway at the magnification used for sampler analysis. Clumps of spores might be identifiable at a certain magnification, while individual spores might not. And,

exactly how do you count clumps of spores--are they equal to single spores in the counting?I guess my point here is that even if certain spores are found on any of the air samplers, you cannot always trust the concentrations. Likewise, if a certain species is not found, you cannot always trust that it was not present. You need to know not only the limits of the sampler. You need to know the limits of the analysis and the characteristics of the stuff floating around in the air. If you are putting your full faith and trust in air samples for any bioaerosol, well, that's just not right.

************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ******If what is written looks too stupid to be written by me, I disclaim it. Onthe other hand, if it is brilliant, then I have no one to blame but myself. Otherwise, whether you choose to accept my opinion is up to you.************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ****** K. Klein, PE ME, MBAIndoor Air Quality Solutions, Inc.2523 SR 133Bethel, OH 45106-0007VOICE: FAX: (with notice)E-mail: mkklein68@roadrunne r.com************ ********* ********* ********* ********* *******When I was younger, I had all of the answers.As I get older, I have discovered the questions.

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Guest guest

I thought I would share my perspective (and those of my fellow lab-mates) on this subject. First--on the expiration date, the issue is mainly that the triacitin (sticky stuff on the slides) can dry out, and when that happens you cannot see anything on the slide--probably nothing sticks. I personally have not noticed that an expired air-o-cell is necessarily bad except that you never know at what point the triacitin is going to dry up. Some expired cassettes are fine, and some are not because of this. As to the Versa-Trap.....it is the opinion of my former lab mates and myself that these are not better than an air-o-cell. The analysts hate getting them. First of all they require a longer set-up time, and second--when you prepare these, often the trace gets distorted from the liquid going into the medium. All of my former labmates say that they definitely cannot see better and the trace is very hard to

find. I personally have never had any trouble seeing Pen/Asp spores on an air-o-cell. My 2 cents for what it is worth. Dawne YatesMatt Klein wrote: Make sure you will be able to use them before their expiration dates.Steve brings up a good point. Does anyone know how this expiration date is established? How much decrement is

there for samplers used after their expiration date? What environmental storage parameters impact the samplers? I have seen little to no information on these topics for these samplers and I'm curious. Matt Klein

Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.

Guest guest

Without field testing data, it's difficult to compare different devices or different flow rates on same devices. Many factors have both good and bad. It's hard to have everything you want. Balance is the key. It's also essential to know the limitation of your devices. What is good: smaller d50, less bounce, lager loading capicity For same device: Higher flow rate: smaller d50 (50% cut-off size), more bounce Lower flow rate: larger d50, less bounce For different device: Shorter jet to plane distance: smaller d50, smaller loading capacity (because of smaller impaction area) Longer jet to plane distance: larger d50, larger loading capacity Many other factors: gel material, air flow design, tempature, humidity, statics, etc. We have an ongoing field study for

spore trap collection efficiency. Please contact me off board if you are interested in participating, especially if you discover that Andersen impaction have much higher count than spore trap (any kind) in some particular job sites (> 3,000 CFU/m3 and 3 times higher than spore count). Wei Tang QLab Steve Weir wrote: When Air-O-Cell was introduced years ago, it made the same claim of allowing the

user to sample at higher flowrates to achieve the same goal of lower cutpoints. Quoting Dan Baxter:"Significant research was performed during the design of the Air-O-Cell to determine the 'most appropriate' cut-point, face velocity, and inlet shape to provide a balance between analyst readability and collection of smaller and larger particles alike." The result of the research was that 15LPM provided that balance.The Air-O-Cell can also be used to sample at 20, 25, even 30 LPM if the user chooses to do so. Specific data about sampling at higher flowrates is in the AOC Users Guide from Zefon as well as the original product literature. Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

:

I have a paper coming out in AS & T that compares the AOC, Bi-Air

filter cassette, and the N6. The BA can be used effectively from 10

min to 8 hours, although there is no real incentive to use filters for

10 min samples. I routinely collect 60-90 min samples while completing

my residential investigations. The high airflow rate of 30 lpm is

great for single Asp/Pen (small) spores, but the data in my article

clearly indicates that it limits the aspiration of Asp/Pen clusters and

larger spores like Chaetomium, which can make a dramatic difference in

the total count. In my tests, the VersaTrap has the same efficiency

as the AOC, but the Allergenco-D is about 30% more efficient than the AOC & VersaTrap for

Asp/Pen spores. You can see the Bi-Air at www.mold-sampling.com

Joe Spurgeon, Ph.D., CIH

Thanks for the input Tony.

The cool thing about the VersaTraps is that if you operate them at 30 lpm they trap the smallest Pen/Asp spores that AOC does not ... plus you get 150 liters in 5 minutes.

I bought some of the Relle traps that say they work down to .8 micron. But you don't need .8 micron as that is too small for a visual count; and you need to run the Relle cassettes for hours to get a good size sample since they dramatically cut down on the air flow.

Rosen

www.Mold-Books.com

VersaTrap

Has anyone been using the new VersaTrap cassette from SKC? This captures very small spores (down to 1.5 micron) not captured by Air-O-Cell and runs up to 30 lpm with what appears to be very good characteristics ... and allows 150 liter sampling in only 5 minutes.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health. org

Never miss an email again!Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out.

Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut.

Guest guest

Again ... check out the specs on the SKC web site. At least on paper the VersaTrap looks good.

If you get 150 liters in 5 minutes at 30 lpm (vs 75 liters at 15 lpm) and you get a little more bounce that is a good tradeoff as you are still looking at alot more spores on the slide.

Rosen

www.Green-Buildings.org

Re: Re: VersaTrap

In a message dated 3/27/2007 11:32:48 AM Eastern Standard Time, sammeg64yahoo (DOT) com writes:

The Air-O-Cell can also be used to sample at 20, 25, even 30 LPM if the user chooses to do so. Specific data about sampling at higher flowrates is in the AOC Users Guide from Zefon as well as the original product literature. While you may capture more of the smaller, lower mass spores by impaction at higher velocities, you have to worry about bounce of the larger spores from the adhesive coated surface and overloading of the slide with background debris. These are trade-offs.I hope Wei weighs in.Steve Temes

Get your own web address. Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

Guest guest

Have you seen 2 micron Pen-Asp-line spores on an AOC? They are not visible and can be making someone sick.

Rosen

www.Mold-Books.com

I thought I would share my perspective (and those of my fellow lab-mates) on this subject. First--on the expiration date, the issue is mainly that the triacitin (sticky stuff on the slides) can dry out, and when that happens you cannot see anything on the slide--probably nothing sticks. I personally have not noticed that an expired air-o-cell is necessarily bad except that you never know at what point the triacitin is going to dry up. Some expired cassettes are fine, and some are not because of this.

As to the Versa-Trap.. ...it is the opinion of my former lab mates and myself that these are not better than an air-o-cell. The analysts hate getting them. First of all they require a longer set-up time, and second--when you prepare these, often the trace gets distorted from the liquid going into the medium. All of my former labmates say that they definitely cannot see better and the trace is very hard to find. I personally have never had any trouble seeing Pen/Asp spores on an air-o-cell.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Dawne YatesMatt Klein <mkklein68@roadrunne r.com> wrote:

Make sure you will be able to use them before their expiration dates.Steve brings up a good point. Does anyone know how this expiration date is established? How much decrement is there for samplers used after their expiration date? What environmental storage parameters impact the samplers? I have seen little to no information on these topics for these samplers and I'm curious. Matt Klein

Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends.

Don't pick lemons.

See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

Guest guest

Joe,

For Allergenco what is the size cut off? I am more concerned about size cut off than efficiency as I can always run longer sampling times.

I am frequently finding sick people in environments with very low spore counts but if I use a .4 micron cassette and submit for PCR you see plenty of nasty material. The PCR cost is high and turn around time is low. So I am interested in the VersaTrap to see if the 1.5 - 2.5 (approximate) window that is missed by AOC can be imporant in diagnosing sick buildings. Or if the problem is sub-micron fragments.

For what I am doing I don't really care about any inefficiency regarding occaisional clusters.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

VersaTrap

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health. org

Guest guest

Joe,

For Allergenco what is the size cut off? I am more concerned about size cut off than efficiency as I can always run longer sampling times.

I am frequently finding sick people in environments with very low spore counts but if I use a .4 micron cassette and submit for PCR you see plenty of nasty material. The PCR cost is high and turn around time is low. So I am interested in the VersaTrap to see if the 1.5 - 2.5 (approximate) window that is missed by AOC can be imporant in diagnosing sick buildings. Or if the problem is sub-micron fragments.

For what I am doing I don't really care about any inefficiency regarding occaisional clusters.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Books.com

VersaTrap

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health. org

Guest guest

Allergenco-D has lower d50 (good for smaller spores) but a smaller impaction area, so watch out for overloading. Unless it's in a clean room or hospital, my experience is that 150 L is usually not preferred (for both AOC and Allergenco-D). There are several filter-based spore traps, Laro-100 (discountined), Bi-Air, QTrap, and "Smart Cassette", which are made by Relle and distributed by several companies. Wei Tang QLabJoe Spurgeon wrote: :I have a paper coming out in AS & T that compares the AOC, Bi-Air filter cassette, and the N6. The BA can be used effectively from 10 min to 8 hours, although there is no real incentive to use filters for 10 min samples. I routinely collect 60-90 min samples while completing my residential investigations. The high airflow rate of 30 lpm is great for single Asp/Pen (small) spores, but the data in my article clearly indicates that it limits the aspiration of Asp/Pen clusters and larger spores like Chaetomium, which can make a dramatic difference in the total count. In my tests, the VersaTrap has the same efficiency as the AOC, but the Allergenco-D is about 30% more efficient than the AOC & VersaTrap for Asp/Pen spores. You can see the Bi-Air at www.mold-sampling.comJoe Spurgeon, Ph.D., CIH On

3/26/07, gary rosen <garyrosen72652> wrote: Thanks for the input Tony. The cool thing about the VersaTraps is that if you operate them at 30 lpm they trap the smallest Pen/Asp spores that AOC does not ... plus you get 150 liters in 5 minutes. I bought some of the Relle traps that say they work down to .8 micron. But you don't need .8 micron as that is too small for a visual count; and you need to run the Relle cassettes for hours to get a good size sample since they dramatically cut down on the air flow. Rosen www.Mold-Books.com VersaTrap http://www.skcinc. com/instructions /1642.pdf Has anyone been using the new VersaTrap cassette from SKC? This captures very small spores (down to 1.5 micron) not captured by Air-O-Cell and runs up to 30 lpm with what appears to be very good characteristics ... and allows 150 liter sampling in only 5 minutes.

Rosen, Ph.D. www.Mold-health. org Never miss an email again!Yahoo! Toolbar alerts you the instant new Mail arrives. Check it out. Don't get soaked. Take a quick peek at the forecast with theYahoo! Search weather shortcut. Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

Those are physical sizes, which is different from aerodynamic sizes. Impaction effeciency onto to spore trap slides is determined by aerodynamic sizes (and other factors). Also, they could change sizes when dried up. Aspergillus sp. may have small spore (< 2.5 micorns): A. fumigatus: 2 - 3 microns A. versicolor: 2 - 3.5 microns A. terreus: 2- 2.5 microns Penicillium sp. may have small spore (< 2.5 micorns): P. citrinum: 2.2 - 3 microns P. paxilli: 2.2 - 3 microns P. funiculosum: 2.2 - 3 microns Cladosporium cladosporioides have sizes as small as 3.5 - 4 microns, but it was published that their aerodynamic sizes could be as small as 1.8 microns. It's quite interesting, so if you want to participate in the field study, please contact me. Wei Tang QLab LiveSimply wrote: So, I'm assuming that those very small spores that Air-O-Cell doesn't capture are usually aspergillus/penicillium general types, right?Which of the asp/pen species have those small aerodynamic diameters? (2.5 microns and under) Is it all of them or just some of them?Aspergillus funimatus, versicolor, xxx? or ???Penicillium xxx???Is there anywhere I can find a list of the ones captured vs. the ones not

captured and the maybes? Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

Increased lpm (150 vs. 75) would be an

acceptable means as long as the sample areas are fairly clean, would you agree?

All considering; if the impact area get loaded due to debris your samples could

be skewed.

So before one increases the liters per

minute one must take other factors into consideration.

EnviroBob

From: iequality [mailto:iequality ] On Behalf Of gary rosen

Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2007 8:26

PM

To: iequality

Subject: Re: Re:

VersaTrap

Again ... check out the specs on the SKC web site. At

least on paper the VersaTrap looks good.

If you get 150 liters in 5 minutes at 30 lpm (vs 75 liters

at 15 lpm) and you get a little more bounce that is a good tradeoff as you are

still looking at alot more spores on the slide.

Rosen

www.Green-Buildings.org

Re: Re: VersaTrap

In a message dated 3/27/2007 11:32:48 AM

Eastern Standard Time, sammeg64yahoo (DOT) com writes:

literature.

While

you may capture more of the smaller, lower mass spores by impaction at higher

velocities, you have to worry about bounce of the larger spores from the

adhesive coated surface and overloading of the slide with background

debris. These are trade-offs.

I hope Wei weighs in.

Steve Temes

Get

your own web address.

Have a HUGE year through Yahoo!

Small Business.

Guest guest

Wei,

For chemically sensitive people and/or mold sensitive people they are often clean freaks. You often need 150 liters to find something that can point you to the problem that needs fixing.

I have a client who goes to Shoemaker who had his office tested using a Micro5 at 5 lpm. They found nothing. I tested with an AOC for 10 min and got what I needed.

However I often take 10 or more samples when investigating a sick person's home or office. The 30 lpm rate keeps the costs (my time) way down. So I started using the VersaTraps.

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-Health.org

VersaTrap

Rosen, Ph.D.

www.Mold-health. org

Wei Tang, Ph.D.

Lab Director

QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA. com

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.