RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: VersaTrap

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's a good point. Those chemicals/cell components in the dust (airborne or source) are usually not tested. When people is reacting to something in the building and it's not spores or hyphal fragments, you should probably look further. Wei Tang QLabAirwaysEnv@... wrote: In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:29:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, garyrosen72652

writes: I believe that mold fragments from dried up and decaying mold can be a/the major problem when people exhibit mold illness according to their doctors ... but spore counts were low. But it may be that dried out spores between 1.5 and 2.5 micron (invisible to AOC) are a significant factor.The MASS of the spore when wet vs. when dry will also determine whether it is captured by impaction because the trajectory of the spore is primarily a function of its momentum. The lighter spores, not just smaller in diameter spores, will travel with the air stream around the slide and not impact.I

believe that there is likely to be nasty chemical stuff from mold in the growth substrate because this is where the digestive enzymes and waste products are excreted and the "battleground" where mycotoxins would be effective in protecting the colony from competitors. So, in addition to spore and hyphal fragments, I think fine dust from colonized growth substrate is where mycotoxins and other exudates from mold would be coming from if you find them in the air in the absence of spores. In my experience, when accumulations of organic dust are colonized (when wet) and then dry out, this loose dust IS the substrate and can become airborne very easily. This is why I recommend strongly that all dust reservoirs be removed thoroughly. Colonized wood and paper can be a source of airborne allergens and mycotoxins, but not as easily as colonized dust can be.Steve Temes Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

That's a good point. Those chemicals/cell components in the dust (airborne or source) are usually not tested. When people is reacting to something in the building and it's not spores or hyphal fragments, you should probably look further. Wei Tang QLabAirwaysEnv@... wrote: In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:29:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, garyrosen72652

writes: I believe that mold fragments from dried up and decaying mold can be a/the major problem when people exhibit mold illness according to their doctors ... but spore counts were low. But it may be that dried out spores between 1.5 and 2.5 micron (invisible to AOC) are a significant factor.The MASS of the spore when wet vs. when dry will also determine whether it is captured by impaction because the trajectory of the spore is primarily a function of its momentum. The lighter spores, not just smaller in diameter spores, will travel with the air stream around the slide and not impact.I

believe that there is likely to be nasty chemical stuff from mold in the growth substrate because this is where the digestive enzymes and waste products are excreted and the "battleground" where mycotoxins would be effective in protecting the colony from competitors. So, in addition to spore and hyphal fragments, I think fine dust from colonized growth substrate is where mycotoxins and other exudates from mold would be coming from if you find them in the air in the absence of spores. In my experience, when accumulations of organic dust are colonized (when wet) and then dry out, this loose dust IS the substrate and can become airborne very easily. This is why I recommend strongly that all dust reservoirs be removed thoroughly. Colonized wood and paper can be a source of airborne allergens and mycotoxins, but not as easily as colonized dust can be.Steve Temes Wei Tang, Ph.D. Lab Director QLab5 DriveCherry Hill, NJ 08003www.QLabUSA.com

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Guest guest

Steve,

I too agree that toxin laden dust can be a problem. I can't prove it, but when we remove all dust then the mold and chemically sensitive people get relief.

We always completely remove dust when mold remediating a sick person's home. When there are carpets we steam vac with a little detergent.

When the dust is in the air conveyance system ... that's a problem.

In our area most recent homes have flex duct. This is hard to clean without special equipment. We are now purchasing some specialized equipment to clean flex of settled dust. For dirty fiberglass ducting and/or plenums we have them replaced or we encapsulate.

To keep down "toxic dust" during remediation we have developed a special technique for remediating the homes of sick and chemically sensitive people by foaming the walls and wall cavities of areas to be remediated. This pre-moistening does an unbelievable job of keeping down the levels of released toxin containing fragments, dust, spores ...

Minimizing the spread of such toxin vectors is much cheaper and more effective than trying to contain or clean them after they spread.

For some reason IICRC does not like pre-moistening and recommends against it. But NYC says to do it. And says if you use dry techniques even small jobs become HazMat level IV jobs.

We just hate dry techniques like sanding and dry scraping. Such techniques cause most remediations of sick people's homes to fail badly. Homes are left contaminated. And since many consultants only test within the containment and with the air scrubber on ... how would you ever know that there is a problem.

Rosen

www.Mold-Health.org

Re: VersaTrap

In a message dated 3/28/2007 11:29:44 AM Eastern Standard Time, garyrosen72652@ yahoo.com writes:

I believe that mold fragments from dried up and decaying mold can be a/the major problem when people exhibit mold illness according to their doctors ... but spore counts were low. But it may be that dried out spores between 1.5 and 2.5 micron (invisible to AOC) are a significant factor.The MASS of the spore when wet vs. when dry will also determine whether it is captured by impaction because the trajectory of the spore is primarily a function of its momentum. The lighter spores, not just smaller in diameter spores, will travel with the air stream around the slide and not impact.I believe that there is likely to be nasty chemical stuff from mold in the growth substrate because this is where the digestive enzymes and waste products are excreted and the

"battleground" where mycotoxins would be effective in protecting the colony from competitors. So, in addition to spore and hyphal fragments, I think fine dust from colonized growth substrate is where mycotoxins and other exudates from mold would be coming from if you find them in the air in the absence of spores. In my experience, when accumulations of organic dust are colonized (when wet) and then dry out, this loose dust IS the substrate and can become airborne very easily. This is why I recommend strongly that all dust reservoirs be removed thoroughly. Colonized wood and paper can be a source of airborne allergens and mycotoxins, but not as easily as colonized dust can be.Steve Temes

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debatein the Yahoo! Answers Food Drink Q&A.

Guest guest

Those numbers are not set in stone. Im just saying that it is not impossible to see them. Dont get me wrong--they aren't seen all the time at that size, and would be hard to see no matter what cassette is used, but they can be seen. I was sharing "some" opinions of those who actually have a daily experience with reading all kinds of samples. Not challenging or trying to influence anyones preference regarding what kind to use. Just a different perspective. Dawne gary rosen wrote: Dawne, I thought the cut off for AOC was 2.5 micron. How do you see smaller spores than the cut off? Rosen www.Mold-Books.com Re: VersaTrap I thought I would share my perspective (and those of my fellow lab-mates) on this subject. First--on the expiration date, the issue is mainly that the triacitin (sticky stuff on the slides) can dry out, and when that happens you

cannot see anything on the slide--probably nothing sticks. I personally have not noticed that an expired air-o-cell is necessarily bad except that you never know at what point the triacitin is going to dry up. Some expired cassettes are fine, and some are not because of this. As to the Versa-Trap.. ...it is the opinion of my former lab mates and myself that these are not better than an air-o-cell. The analysts hate getting them. First of all they require a longer set-up time, and second--when you prepare these, often the trace gets distorted from the liquid going into the medium. All of my former labmates say that they definitely cannot see better and the trace is very hard to find. I personally have never had any trouble seeing Pen/Asp spores on an air-o-cell. My 2 cents for what it is worth. Dawne YatesMatt Klein

<mkklein68@roadrunne r.com> wrote: Make sure you will be able to use them before their expiration dates.Steve brings up a good point. Does anyone know how this expiration date is established? How much decrement is there for samplers used after their expiration date? What environmental storage parameters impact the samplers? I have seen little to no information on these topics for these samplers and I'm curious. Matt Klein Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends. Don't pick lemons.See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. Don't pick lemons.See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.

Guest guest

Those numbers are not set in stone. Im just saying that it is not impossible to see them. Dont get me wrong--they aren't seen all the time at that size, and would be hard to see no matter what cassette is used, but they can be seen. I was sharing "some" opinions of those who actually have a daily experience with reading all kinds of samples. Not challenging or trying to influence anyones preference regarding what kind to use. Just a different perspective. Dawne gary rosen wrote: Dawne, I thought the cut off for AOC was 2.5 micron. How do you see smaller spores than the cut off? Rosen www.Mold-Books.com Re: VersaTrap I thought I would share my perspective (and those of my fellow lab-mates) on this subject. First--on the expiration date, the issue is mainly that the triacitin (sticky stuff on the slides) can dry out, and when that happens you

cannot see anything on the slide--probably nothing sticks. I personally have not noticed that an expired air-o-cell is necessarily bad except that you never know at what point the triacitin is going to dry up. Some expired cassettes are fine, and some are not because of this. As to the Versa-Trap.. ...it is the opinion of my former lab mates and myself that these are not better than an air-o-cell. The analysts hate getting them. First of all they require a longer set-up time, and second--when you prepare these, often the trace gets distorted from the liquid going into the medium. All of my former labmates say that they definitely cannot see better and the trace is very hard to find. I personally have never had any trouble seeing Pen/Asp spores on an air-o-cell. My 2 cents for what it is worth. Dawne YatesMatt Klein

<mkklein68@roadrunne r.com> wrote: Make sure you will be able to use them before their expiration dates.Steve brings up a good point. Does anyone know how this expiration date is established? How much decrement is there for samplers used after their expiration date? What environmental storage parameters impact the samplers? I have seen little to no information on these topics for these samplers and I'm curious. Matt Klein Don't be flakey. Get Yahoo! Mail for Mobile and always stay connected to friends. Don't pick lemons.See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. Don't pick lemons.See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos. Get your own web address.Have a HUGE year through Yahoo! Small Business.

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with theYahoo! Search movie showtime shortcut.