RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Shout out

Rate this topic

Guest guest

development to the south of me has overwhelmingly spanish speaking workers. When out walking, we find them to be pleasant and polite, if a bit shy, almost to a person.

I meet them as home health patients and their families. Almost invariably they are cooperative and helpful and very willing to learn to do wound care or whatever you need to teach them to do. I wish I could say the same of many of our locals! lol

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

c

-------------- Original message from DreamOn145@...: --------------

Gerard,

thank you for telling your story again. I really enjoyed hearing it. what a collection of people we have in this group!

Do you find that New Orleans is regaining its original flavor as it is being rebuilt or do you feel a whole new aura surrounding it?

Janet

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

Janet,

I know that I responded to this message the other day but its been

over 24 hours and has not appeared to have gone through. I am

wondering if Yahoo Groups has a new diet of eating messages rather

than passing them on to the group members?

As far as New Orleans flavor and aura post Katrina, all major

changes - man made and ecological - causes inevitable changes.

Because of Katrina there was a large population displacement with

some of the displaced returning and the rest resettling in their new

locations. An earlier post did mention about the New Orleans' Chefs

that started businesses in their new locations and the local

population not wanting them to return to N. O.

In addition there was an influx of workers from other areas coming

into N. O. due to hiring possibilities.

Those natives that returned to N. O. have in general been more vocal

in how the post Katrina city will be rebuilt; in some cases even

fighting city hall to keep the N. O. flavor or aura. One example was

with Katrina hitting 29 August 05 the city was planning to cancel the

06 carnival season ending on Mardi Gras due to all the reconstruction

in progress. (I think Mardi Gras was early March that year). The

returned natives insisted that it should proceed even if only to give

a holiday break. (Although an abbreviated season it DID proceed.)

The grass roots native element through the various neighborhood

organizations is also involved in keeping the the local flavor or

aura and they are more vocal post Katrina.

http://bywaterneighbors.com/

The neighborhood association that I happen to be a member of and the

neighborhood I am living in.

During the Vietnam conflict in 1960's & 70's New Orleans had a large

increase in the southeast Asian population and in turn added their

mix into the southeast/ N O style of foods.

Katrina has caused a large increase in the Spanish/Mexican population

and in turn adding to the flavor of the food variations.

Think of New Orleans as a big stew pot with a good Stew. Katrina a

ladle used while adding more ingredients to the stew. I believe N O

will keep its general flavor or aura as it absorbs the changes.

Hope this metaphor is understandable and I was clear enough in my

answer.

Gerard

>

> Gerard,

>

> thank you for telling your story again. I really enjoyed hearing

> it. what a collection of people we have in this group!

>

> Do you find that New Orleans is regaining its original flavor as

> it is being rebuilt or do you feel a whole new aura surrounding it?

>

> Janet

>

>

>

> **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in

shape.

> http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

>

Guest guest

The influx of Vietnamese in the 60's and 70's and now the greatly increased hispanic population which Gerard mentioned we have seen here on the Mississippi gulf coast, as well. There is a lot of vocal opposition to the hispanic workers which have come to work on the many condos which are springing up. The huge condo development to the south of me has overwhelmingly spanish speaking workers. When out walking, we find them to be pleasant and polite, if a bit shy, almost to a person. I observe less standing around watching other people work than I do on the many road projects locally, which seem to employ more local workers. Just an observation, no conclusions.

W

Re: Shout out

Janet,I know that I responded to this message the other day but its been over 24 hours and has not appeared to have gone through. I am wondering if Yahoo Groups has a new diet of eating messages rather than passing them on to the group members?As far as New Orleans flavor and aura post Katrina, all major changes - man made and ecological - causes inevitable changes.Because of Katrina there was a large population displacement with some of the displaced returning and the rest resettling in their new locations. An earlier post did mention about the New Orleans' Chefs that started businesses in their new locations and the local population not wanting them to return to N. O.In addition there was an influx of workers from other areas coming into N. O. due to hiring possibilities.Those natives that returned to N. O. have in general been more vocal in how the post Katrina city will be rebuilt; in some cases even fighting city hall to keep the N. O. flavor or aura. One example was with Katrina hitting 29 August 05 the city was planning to cancel the 06 carnival season ending on Mardi Gras due to all the reconstruction in progress. (I think Mardi Gras was early March that year). The returned natives insisted that it should proceed even if only to give a holiday break. (Although an abbreviated season it DID proceed.)The grass roots native element through the various neighborhood organizations is also involved in keeping the the local flavor or aura and they are more vocal post Katrina.http://bywaterneighbors.com/The neighborhood association that I happen to be a member of and the neighborhood I am living in.During the Vietnam conflict in 1960's & 70's New Orleans had a large increase in the southeast Asian population and in turn added their mix into the southeast/ N O style of foods.Katrina has caused a large increase in the Spanish/Mexican population and in turn adding to the flavor of the food variations.Think of New Orleans as a big stew pot with a good Stew. Katrina a ladle used while adding more ingredients to the stew. I believe N O will keep its general flavor or aura as it absorbs the changes.Hope this metaphor is understandable and I was clear enough in my answer.Gerard>> Gerard,> > thank you for telling your story again. I really enjoyed hearing> it. what a collection of people we have in this group!> > Do you find that New Orleans is regaining its original flavor as> it is being rebuilt or do you feel a whole new aura surrounding it?> > Janet> > > > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

Guest guest

In the beginning I thought it was sad that the government immediately

moved in outside vendors to do work instead of contacting local people

to help with the rebuilding. Then I saw more and more local people

getting involved and advertising for workers.

what i saw that was profound, was that many workers did not want to be

separated from their families to head to reconstruction areas. that's

where the immigrant labor comes in.

It's good to know that so many people are willing to see all the

perspectives of a situation like this.

laurie

> >

> > Gerard,

> >

> > thank you for telling your story again. I really enjoyed hearing

> > it. what a collection of people we have in this group!

> >

> > Do you find that New Orleans is regaining its original flavor as

> > it is being rebuilt or do you feel a whole new aura surrounding it?

> >

> > Janet

> >

> >

> >

> > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in

> shape.

> > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?

> NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

> >

>

Guest guest

People are people - most are good...some bad apples...in any culture.DreamOn145@... wrote: In a message dated 1/20/2008 4:30:51 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, labtrek1941bellsouth (DOT) net writes: development to the south of me has overwhelmingly spanish speaking workers. When out walking, we find them to be pleasant and polite, if a bit shy,

almost to a person. , I meet them as home health patients and their families. Almost invariably they are cooperative and helpful and very willing to learn to do wound care or whatever you need to teach them to do. I wish I could say the same of many of our locals! lol Janet Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Guest guest

Well, Janet...I am a displaced Yankee from New Jersey....In fact, went to see Jersey Boys today in Houston - excellent show - and I'm kinda proud of being from New Jersey, until now. lol And by the way - dancing to ie Valli or walking with my ipod to the Four Seasons is a great way to keep up the pace!DreamOn145@... wrote: In a message dated 1/20/2008 3:33:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mr_quiet_1944bellsouth (DOT) net writes: changes - man made and ecological - causes inevitable changes Gerard, I am sure that a change of that size is causing pretty monumental changes. One thing that amazes me is that because of the HUGE growth in this area we now have the largest populations of Mexican immigrants in the East. It has made for HUGE changes in recent years. And of course the growth has also caused people from other areas to

come pouring in here as well. One nice thing about having of the immigrants come in, it has taken the focus off all the complaints about the damn yankees lol Janet Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.