RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Shout out

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome to the group, Ray. My son has back problems, and says a little extra weight plays havoc with his back. He says keeping his weight down is the best favor he can do his back, so good luck with your weight issues.

W

Re: RE: Shout out

Hey TnT: I'm new here,==RAY, I live in So.Calif. I made a new years resolution. After gettin on the scale after the Holidays I need to loose the 10lbs or so I have added. I have a bad back an it literaly pains me to carry the extra weight around. I am in my late 60s,an never had a weight problem untill about 5yrs ago. Lately ,after abdominal surgery, two years ago I have packed on the extra lbs. I had emergency surgery to remove a blockage in my bowels. Had 40 staples right up the front of me,looked like the southern railroad tracks...LOL. My surgen told me to start eating about 6 small meals a day.Which I haven't done..! Could be the reason for the recent gain. I don't walk much an don't work out either,like I first did when I retired 9yrs ago. I do work now part-time,[couple of nights a week]. I use a golf-cart at work,an could walk more there. Which I plan on doin now. I took basic trainin at Lackland AFB in the early 60s. So I have been to Texas. Hot ,like here in the summer an cold in the winter. Don't like walkin in the cold. Hope this is goin to movitate me to loose a little. At 6'ht,I should be around 180 or so,,,,I think?? Sooooo I need to loose about 30lbs ,huh? Wish me luck Taresa. I saw the notes from the girls downunder. I killed a small rattler in the chicken pen last summer. Well, I rattle on way too much,sorry......! Take Care RAY in Texas <OPJ2sbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote:

RE: Shout outHI everyone.. I am (TnT for short)I live in West Texas with my hubby, 2 of my 3 boys.. (17, 19 and the oldest is 20 in the Air Force and stationed in Japan) and the new addition to our family is my Mother in law :) She had a stroke in July and now lives with us full time.. so life has been quite crazy. As always I am on a quest to lose this stubborn weight!! I did really well till I injured my knee and I have put back on most of the weight I had previously lost.. so I am back to square one again.. But I am determined to lose this weight on my very frugal budget :)I am glad to see the group growing and getting chatty again!! It seems that everyone has the same New Year Resolution :)Get off our fat butts and exercise and eat healthy to lose this weight! I look forward to meeting new friends and rejoining with old..Hugs,TnT

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1221 - Release Date: 1/12/2008 2:04 PM

Guest guest

am glad to see the group growing and getting chatty again!! It seems that everyone has the same New Year Resolution :)Get off our fat butts and exercise and eat healthy to lose this weight! I look forward to meeting new friends and rejoining with

Hi ,

I am Janet. I live in Raleigh NC with my 3 dogs and a cat. I am a home health nurse and am also interested in Reiki and energy healing (did anyone see Grey's anatomy this week? they did a segment on energy healing!), animal welfare issues, healthy cooking, and painting.

Needless to say one of my greatest resolutions for this year is to lose weight. My goal is just to lose 10% of my body weight and KEEP it off through the holidays. Last night I had my "reward meal" According to my program if I am good all week long I can have one meal of eating whatever I want and that always includes wine and a real dessert. I confess to eating homemade penne with three cheeses, a wonderful red wine, and a pear crisp with maple and walnut. Now, its Sunday and I will have a southwestern salad with baked tofu for lunch and a shrimp stir fry for dinner.

Nice to meet you,

JanetStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

Hey TnT: I'm new here,==RAY, I live in So.Calif.

Ray,

Nice to meet you. I am Janet and I live in North Carolina.

Have you seen the Get Moving America site? I am in the process of walking the Pacific Crest Trail and to finish it I need to walk almost 10,000 steps a day. I am a little bit behind right now and if I don't finish it I am going to do the same trail again! Knowing you have to post your steps every day is a good motivator!

Guest guest

He says keeping his weight down is the best favor he can do his back, so good luck with your weight issues.

I think getting my weight down would be the best favor I could do for myself too. Now I want to see myself do that! lol

Guest guest

i've heard it helps if the wood is very dry, i used to split wood way

back when, but i dont seem to have the strength to do it anymore. i

hit it with the maul and then pick up the maul wood and all and smack

it down on the cutting block. i can only do about 5 or so before my

back starts cramping up and then it's up to my friend to get her

nephew over to finish the rest. i've seen my dad smack the maul with

a sledhammer too. i'm going to bet that's probably not a great idea...

laurie

>

> Did I answer this? I do not remember!~ lol

>

> I am a 50 year old mom, grandma, and great grandma (by

marriage)..I am about 50 pounds more then I want to be, but very

healthy. I backpack 40 to 120 miles at a stretch a couple times a

year, camp with my grand kids, take trips, keep care of my honey, day

care some of my grand kids, have my own business, grow a garden and

can, love life, and live in No CA. I think that covers it. In my spare

time I read, do puzzles, go to Curves, and help people. I also

volunteer at school two days a week.

> Wow! I think I like me! lolol

> Jane

>

>

> .

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.0/1218 - Release Date:

1/10/2008 1:32 PM

>

Guest guest

Not sure if my earlier recent post is sufficient to qualify as answering this so here is a specific post for all to read if they want.

I am a 63 year old bachelor, living all my life in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA except for the nearly 6 years in the US Navy and 6 months due to hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I have never had a driver's license and have been walking quite a bit all my life. Because of doing so usually without others present I have developed quite a fast walk.

About the time of Katrina I found out about Steve's Walk across the US and started following it and also joined this Yahoo Group. While I was in Austin, TX because of Katrina I became lazy and discovered my waist line had expanded from about 34 inches to 38 inches.

Near the end of my time in Austin and now back in New Orleans I have been walking again and I am back down to a 34 waist line. Because of the public transportation being in a poorer condition post Katrina I rarely think of taking the bus and just walk most of the time.

I am an active member in the local conference of the Saint de Society.

As of July 2001 I have been retired.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from jjsmth@...: --------------

Did I answer this? I do not remember!~ lol

(clip)==========

Wow! I think I like me! lolol

Jane

In a message dated 1/10/2008 6:39:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Well, that was fun but no need to stop. Nine down and 1746 members left to go. Come on, everyone.

Elaine

It's so great to hear from new people. There are over 1700 people signed up on this list and I've wondered about who those other people are, what's their story, where do they live. this is a wonderful time for us to introduce ourselves. I hope everyone agrees.

I'm Elaine and I live in Northern California. I'm 54 years-old and would like to lose about 120 pounds, preferably by tomorrow :) .

Happy New Year, everyone.

Elaine

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think you mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you can mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works for a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New Orleans. However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter works with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans, so they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting back and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and in both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better location.

Re: Re: Shout out

Not sure if my earlier recent post is sufficient to qualify as answering this so here is a specific post for all to read if they want.

I am a 63 year old bachelor, living all my life in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA except for the nearly 6 years in the US Navy and 6 months due to hurricanes Katrina and Rita. I have never had a driver's license and have been walking quite a bit all my life. Because of doing so usually without others present I have developed quite a fast walk.

About the time of Katrina I found out about Steve's Walk across the US and started following it and also joined this Yahoo Group. While I was in Austin, TX because of Katrina I became lazy and discovered my waist line had expanded from about 34 inches to 38 inches.

Near the end of my time in Austin and now back in New Orleans I have been walking again and I am back down to a 34 waist line. Because of the public transportation being in a poorer condition post Katrina I rarely think of taking the bus and just walk most of the time.

I am an active member in the local conference of the Saint de Society.

As of July 2001 I have been retired.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from jjsmth@...: --------------

Did I answer this? I do not remember!~ lol

(clip)==========

Wow! I think I like me! lolol

Jane

In a message dated 1/10/2008 6:39:25 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, elrolegmail writes:

Well, that was fun but no need to stop. Nine down and 1746 members left to go. Come on, everyone.

Elaine

It's so great to hear from new people. There are over 1700 people signed up on this list and I've wondered about who those other people are, what's their story, where do they live. this is a wonderful time for us to introduce ourselves. I hope everyone agrees.

I'm Elaine and I live in Northern California. I'm 54 years-old and would like to lose about 120 pounds, preferably by tomorrow :) .

Happy New Year, everyone.

Elaine

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1223 - Release Date: 1/13/2008 8:23 PM

Guest guest

am a 63 year old bachelor, living all my life in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA except for the nearly 6 years in the US Navy and 6 months due to hurricanes Katrina and Rita

Gerard,

Nice to meet you. I am a newbie of course so I like to hear everyone's story. I am sure you have heard mine is you have read recent posts.

After reading your recent post with the Louisiana cooking magazine I take it you are also interested in Louisiana cooking?

Was your home devastated during Katrina? It must have been tough getting around there just walking during these difficult post hurricane times.

Guest guest

Because of stories being passed from one person to another and the repeats inevitably have unintended errors I therefore have decided to restate my experiences first hand & add other current topics being discussed.

The house I was living in before Katrina I inherited from the estate when my father died in 1991. I had been reared in commencing 3 months after my birth. The house consisted of 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room and kitchen located in the Bywater neighborhood of New Orleans.

Over the years when the family had dogs usually one at a time with 3 that I can remember being from the SPCA. When people asked about the breed(s) I would reply a "Heinz 57". Before Katrina the SPCA was about 5 blocks from the above mentioned house.

I was in the Navy when hurricane Betsy came through in 1965 which was the worse storm prior to Katrina and the rest of the family remaining in metro New Orleans. While in the Navy I became used to confined living conditions aboard ship and with living through previous hurricane seasons I did not realize how bad Katrina was becoming. I have never had a drivers license and depended on public transportation or walking.

My brother moved to Austin, TX in 1975 and the last of my metro New Orleans siblings died in 2002.

As Katrina approached I decided to stay in New Orleans and wait it out similar to previous years. Out of state family called to find out if I was OK & ready after they realized that I was not leaving.

Sunday night August 28'th I had felt I was prepared as best as possible & went to bed.

The morning of Monday the 29'th Katrina came ashore and early that morning I was awakened by water coming through the damaged roof around the wind turbin and subsequently coming through the ceiling. The house is a raised house about 3 feet above grown level. Later that morning there was flooding that eventually came into the house through the floor furnace opening, the seams of the wooden floors and eventually the door frame. It stopped about ankle deep then about 30 to 60 minutes later receded to a depth about 1 foot.

At this point I realized just how bad Katrina was. The storm knocked out all power, land line phone service, and cell phone towers. Because of power outages the Sewerage & Water boards pumping stations in turn were put out of service when the massive flooding overpowered the pumping stations emergency electrical capacity.

I stayed in the house that night and Tuesday morning when listening to the one functioning radio station in the city stated that the levees had broken and with the water level about 2 feet deep I realized I had to evacuate the house.

New Orleans is relatively flat but not perfectly flat causing parts of the flooding city to be above water and other parts below water. At this point it was a question of finding the higher grown and getting to the Super Dome. At this time it was a case of getting everyone stranded on roofs or out of the attics to higher grown and everyone else on their own to go to higher grown.

I eventually got to the Super Dome that after noon and was informed about the rationing procedure because of the limited supplying capability, the not knowing when the Super Dome might be evacuated and the need to get everyone else trapped in the flood waters to higher grown. The Super Dome was the effective high grown of the city. It was more critical to get the flood victims from the house tops to the Super Dome than it was to get the people out of the Super Dome.

The Super Dome had emergency electrical power but because of the storm damages to outside services poor ventilation, no plumbing and a storm damaged roof. I realized that I might be in the Super Dome for quit a while because of the logistic night mare NO ONE had anticipated. Sleeping when possible was where you could find room to do so and with the general crowd noise sleeping was not that restful.

I periodically (about every 4 or more hours) checked to see IF my cell phone had a dial tone then turned it off immediately thereafter. I knew I was OK but the family was probably worried sick not knowing.

As time progressed rumors naturally started and snowballed. In any crowd there is always some bad apples that made things even more tense.

Thursday the small national guard unite in the Super Dome stated that they were going to break open a route through some buildings to where buss were able to get and start the evacuation of the Super Dome.

That afternoon when testing my cell phone for a signal I was surprised to get a dial tone & immediately left a voice mail message on my sister-in-law's cell phone (I knew my brother was working & probably would not answer if called). With the possible evacuation and relief that others knew that I was OK I think my mind started to shut down. Events after the phone call that afternoon/night I remember or think I remember but believe more that they were halusinations. Some are that strange I don't believe them myself and I will NOT tell anyone what I think I remember.

Friday morning because of body needs I woke up on a FEMA provided bus with my first thoughts being "What am I doing on a bus" - at that point I did not even remember the existence of Katrina. I went to the restroom then returned to my seat to think. SLOWLY everything came back to me including the probable halusinations.

In mid Louisiana the driver made a rest stop giving the passengers a chance to stretch their legs. At this point I asked the driver where the bus was going. He stated that he/it was going to Dallas, TX. While still at the rest stop I made my second successful phone call again to my sister-in-law. After the joyfull conversation arrangements were made that her son-in-law would pick me up in Dallas.

Friday night I slept in a bed for the first time in 4 days. That Saturday my brother and sister-in-law drove from Austin to Dallas and Sunday the 3 of us went to Austin.

I remained in Austin with my brother & sister-in-law and put on weight going from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist. I am not sure if it was before Katrina or after but I discovered Steve walking across America and in turn this Yahoo Group and have been a semi-active member since then.

Around Thanksgiving the 3 of us returned to New Orleans to see what damages Katrina did to the house.

I again returned to New Orleans in January looking for a new place to live - realizing the pre Katrina house was damaged and too big for a bachelor. February 17'th 2006 I closed / bought a condo about 1 third the size of my pre Katrina home. I am about one half mile from the house and still in the Bywater neighborhood.

, if your daughter is familiar with the New Orleans areas then she may know where I was and am now living. As I stated its in the Bywater neighborhood. The pre Katrina house is near Vaughan's and my current condo is near Holy Angels.

The Bywater side of the industrial canal is where the SPCA was before Katrina - the other side of the canal was where one of the levee breaks occurred and that was the break flooding the lower 9'th ward which was the area that was predominately shown in the national news.

With the way the city is with respect to the Mississippi River, the French Quarter is in a bend of the river and directly across the river is called Algiers or Algiers Point. The French Quarter is the original/founding location of the city. The French Quarter & Algiers was the first areas to recover from Katrina & Rita. Bywater is downriver from the Quarter and the lower 9'th ward is on the same side of the river and across the canal even further down river.

The SPCA was relocated from Bywater to Algiers after the storms and before I returned to New Orleans. What rodent problem IF any was well under control before I returned to New Orleans.

New Orleans primarily with outside volunteers is slowly being rebuilt but it will take quite some time to get everything back to normal.

Hope this post is not that long and is an interesting read.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from DreamOn145@...: --------------

In a message dated 1/14/2008 7:50:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mr_quiet_1944bellsouth (DOT) net writes:

am a 63 year old bachelor, living all my life in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA except for the nearly 6 years in the US Navy and 6 months due to hurricanes Katrina and Rita

Gerard,

Nice to meet you. I am a newbie of course so I like to hear everyone's story. I am sure you have heard mine is you have read recent posts.

After reading your recent post with the Louisiana cooking magazine I take it you are also interested in Louisiana cooking?

Was your home devastated during Katrina? It must have been tough getting around there just walking during these difficult post hurricane times.

Janet

Guest guest

Not too long for me, Mr. Q., I find that very interesting as well as tragic. Glad you shared - and glad you survived and have a condo now. One question - what became of your old homestead?

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

Guest guest

Thanks for clarifying things and for giving us your story. What a bad time for you, Gerard. Being in the superdome seems like it was a scary place. We heard of shootings and rapes. Hard to believe but harder to experience.

Take care.

Elaine

Because of stories being passed from one person to another and the repeats inevitably have unintended errors I therefore have decided to restate my experiences first hand & add other current topics being discussed.

The house I was living in before Katrina I inherited from the estate when my father died in 1991. I had been reared in commencing 3 months after my birth. The house consisted of 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, living room, dining room and kitchen located in the Bywater neighborhood of New Orleans.

Over the years when the family had dogs usually one at a time with 3 that I can remember being from the SPCA. When people asked about the breed(s) I would reply a " Heinz 57 " . Before Katrina the SPCA was about 5 blocks from the above mentioned house.

I was in the Navy when hurricane Betsy came through in 1965 which was the worse storm prior to Katrina and the rest of the family remaining in metro New Orleans. While in the Navy I became used to confined living conditions aboard ship and with living through previous hurricane seasons I did not realize how bad Katrina was becoming. I have never had a drivers license and depended on public transportation or walking.

My brother moved to Austin, TX in 1975 and the last of my metro New Orleans siblings died in 2002.

As Katrina approached I decided to stay in New Orleans and wait it out similar to previous years. Out of state family called to find out if I was OK & ready after they realized that I was not leaving.

Sunday night August 28'th I had felt I was prepared as best as possible & went to bed.

The morning of Monday the 29'th Katrina came ashore and early that morning I was awakened by water coming through the damaged roof around the wind turbin and subsequently coming through the ceiling. The house is a raised house about 3 feet above grown level. Later that morning there was flooding that eventually came into the house through the floor furnace opening, the seams of the wooden floors and eventually the door frame. It stopped about ankle deep then about 30 to 60 minutes later receded to a depth about 1 foot.

At this point I realized just how bad Katrina was. The storm knocked out all power, land line phone service, and cell phone towers. Because of power outages the Sewerage & Water boards pumping stations in turn were put out of service when the massive flooding overpowered the pumping stations emergency electrical capacity.

I stayed in the house that night and Tuesday morning when listening to the one functioning radio station in the city stated that the levees had broken and with the water level about 2 feet deep I realized I had to evacuate the house.

New Orleans is relatively flat but not perfectly flat causing parts of the flooding city to be above water and other parts below water. At this point it was a question of finding the higher grown and getting to the Super Dome. At this time it was a case of getting everyone stranded on roofs or out of the attics to higher grown and everyone else on their own to go to higher grown.

I eventually got to the Super Dome that after noon and was informed about the rationing procedure because of the limited supplying capability, the not knowing when the Super Dome might be evacuated and the need to get everyone else trapped in the flood waters to higher grown. The Super Dome was the effective high grown of the city. It was more critical to get the flood victims from the house tops to the Super Dome than it was to get the people out of the Super Dome.

The Super Dome had emergency electrical power but because of the storm damages to outside services poor ventilation, no plumbing and a storm damaged roof. I realized that I might be in the Super Dome for quit a while because of the logistic night mare NO ONE had anticipated. Sleeping when possible was where you could find room to do so and with the general crowd noise sleeping was not that restful.

I periodically (about every 4 or more hours) checked to see IF my cell phone had a dial tone then turned it off immediately thereafter. I knew I was OK but the family was probably worried sick not knowing.

As time progressed rumors naturally started and snowballed. In any crowd there is always some bad apples that made things even more tense.

Thursday the small national guard unite in the Super Dome stated that they were going to break open a route through some buildings to where buss were able to get and start the evacuation of the Super Dome.

That afternoon when testing my cell phone for a signal I was surprised to get a dial tone & immediately left a voice mail message on my sister-in-law's cell phone (I knew my brother was working & probably would not answer if called). With the possible evacuation and relief that others knew that I was OK I think my mind started to shut down. Events after the phone call that afternoon/night I remember or think I remember but believe more that they were halusinations. Some are that strange I don't believe them myself and I will NOT tell anyone what I think I remember.

Friday morning because of body needs I woke up on a FEMA provided bus with my first thoughts being " What am I doing on a bus " - at that point I did not even remember the existence of Katrina. I went to the restroom then returned to my seat to think. SLOWLY everything came back to me including the probable halusinations.

In mid Louisiana the driver made a rest stop giving the passengers a chance to stretch their legs. At this point I asked the driver where the bus was going. He stated that he/it was going to Dallas, TX. While still at the rest stop I made my second successful phone call again to my sister-in-law. After the joyfull conversation arrangements were made that her son-in-law would pick me up in Dallas.

Friday night I slept in a bed for the first time in 4 days. That Saturday my brother and sister-in-law drove from Austin to Dallas and Sunday the 3 of us went to Austin.

I remained in Austin with my brother & sister-in-law and put on weight going from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist. I am not sure if it was before Katrina or after but I discovered Steve walking across America and in turn this Yahoo Group and have been a semi-active member since then.

Around Thanksgiving the 3 of us returned to New Orleans to see what damages Katrina did to the house.

I again returned to New Orleans in January looking for a new place to live - realizing the pre Katrina house was damaged and too big for a bachelor. February 17'th 2006 I closed / bought a condo about 1 third the size of my pre Katrina home. I am about one half mile from the house and still in the Bywater neighborhood.

, if your daughter is familiar with the New Orleans areas then she may know where I was and am now living. As I stated its in the Bywater neighborhood. The pre Katrina house is near Vaughan's and my current condo is near Holy Angels.

The Bywater side of the industrial canal is where the SPCA was before Katrina - the other side of the canal was where one of the levee breaks occurred and that was the break flooding the lower 9'th ward which was the area that was predominately shown in the national news.

With the way the city is with respect to the Mississippi River, the French Quarter is in a bend of the river and directly across the river is called Algiers or Algiers Point. The French Quarter is the original/founding location of the city. The French Quarter & Algiers was the first areas to recover from Katrina & Rita. Bywater is downriver from the Quarter and the lower 9'th ward is on the same side of the river and across the canal even further down river.

The SPCA was relocated from Bywater to Algiers after the storms and before I returned to New Orleans. What rodent problem IF any was well under control before I returned to New Orleans.

New Orleans primarily with outside volunteers is slowly being rebuilt but it will take quite some time to get everything back to normal.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from DreamOn145@...: --------------

Gerard,

Janet

Start the year off right.

Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Guest guest

Gerard, Thanks for the clarifications and additional information. Sorry for what I related incorrectly about your story. As one gets older the memory tends to get rusty, I guess. I am glad you have set the record straight.

W

Over the years when the family had dogs usually one at a time with 3 that I can remember being from the SPCA. When people asked about the breed(s) I would reply a "Heinz 57". Before Katrina the SPCA was about 5 blocks from the above mentioned house.

Friday morning because of body needs I woke up on a FEMA provided bus with my first thoughts being "What am I doing on a bus" - at that point I did not even remember the existence of Katrina. I went to the restroom then returned to my seat to think. SLOWLY everything came back to me including the probable halusinations.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from DreamOn145aol: --------------

In a message dated 1/14/2008 7:50:59 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, mr_quiet_1944bellsouth (DOT) net writes:

Gerard,

Janet

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.2/1224 - Release Date: 1/14/2008 5:39 PM

Guest guest

After sending the Katrina message the other day it dawned on me that I left a couple unanswered questions.

1) Due to Katrina the public transportation systems is in a real poor condition and with my liking to walk I usually do so rather than wait for the bus. Yesterday although cold for New Orleans it was an average walking day for me - about 5 miles total. Today was a tipical New Orleans rainy day hence only 1 and a third miles.

2) I mentioned that I went from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist while in Austin. Happy to say I am back down to a 34 waist.

As far as walking I had been doing that since high school and usually alone. Because of this I have developed a fast pace but have not attempted any race/walk competitions OR timed myself as to how fast my pace is. When walking with others I have to remind myself to slow down and at times I still have to stop and wait.

Gerard

-------------- Original message from "labtrek1941" : --------------

So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think you mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you can mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works for a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New Orleans. However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter works with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans, so they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting back and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and in both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better location.

_._,_.___

Messages in this topic (33) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic

MARKETPLACE

Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

Guest guest

Hi Gerard

How do you feel about the flood control plans the authorities are

working for after Katrina? Nature reclaimed alot of land used by your

city, I am wondering if the city will leave that reclaimed land with

natural uses only.

In my city Toronto, Hurricane Hazel 1953/4? flooded the city and the

waterway management authorities start flood control along the high

water marks from Hazel. No building in those flooded areas, and

building controls along the flood crest caused by Hazel. now we still

get flooding from tricky thunder storms in summmer, a road and bridged

washed out recently, fast thawing of heavy snow causes problems

also, but were supposed to be ready for another hurricane coming from

the central atlantic ocean. As the crows fly it's only about less

than 500 miles to Toronto from New York's ocean coast, so a hurricane

could moved in my city real quick.

from Bill

>

> After sending the Katrina message the other day it dawned on me

that I left a couple unanswered questions.

>

> 1) Due to Katrina the public transportation systems is in a real

poor condition and with my liking to walk I usually do so rather than

wait for the bus. Yesterday although cold for New Orleans it was an

average walking day for me - about 5 miles total. Today was a tipical

New Orleans rainy day hence only 1 and a third miles.

>

> 2) I mentioned that I went from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist while

in Austin. Happy to say I am back down to a 34 waist.

>

> As far as walking I had been doing that since high school and

usually alone. Because of this I have developed a fast pace but have

not attempted any race/walk competitions OR timed myself as to how

fast my pace is. When walking with others I have to remind myself to

slow down and at times I still have to stop and wait.

>

> Gerard

>

>

>

> -------------- Original message from " labtrek1941 "

: --------------

>

> So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think you

mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you can

mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New

Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works for

a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New Orleans.

However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter works

with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans, so

they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting back

and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and in

both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better

location.

> _._,_.___

> Messages in this topic (33) Reply (via web post) | Start a new

topic

> Messages | Files | Photos | Database

> http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/

>

> We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.

>

> MARKETPLACE

>

>

> Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an

AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

>

> Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)

> Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch

format to Traditional

> Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent

Activity

> 11New Members

> 1New Database

> Visit Your Group

> Yahoo! Health

> Fit for Life

> Getting fit is now

> easier than ever.

> Parenting Zone

> Your home for

> parenting information

> on Yahoo! Groups.

> Yahoo! Groups

> Special K Challenge

> Join others who

> are losing pounds..

>

Guest guest

wow that's crazy, i never thought about hurricanes in toronto before.

did you guys hear about the Tornado in Vancouver WA last week? that

was really crazy. we get them every year, but they're usually more

like giant dust devils. one of my coworkers was a witness to the one

in Milwaukie OR back in 95 or 96 and he said it was all of 6inches in

diameter but still did some damage to his dads gas station.

i could see the sky above that one in Milwaukie, that day and thought

it looked funny but had no idea we had a mini tornado until i got home.

anyway, the little tornado in Hazel Dell/Vancouver made a bit of a

mess. Luckily no one was seriously hurt, unlike the last couple that

hit that area. Better building codes now. They seem to get a good one

over there every 20 or 30 years.

I can see vancouver from the hill by my house, just across the river.

and there was a mini tornado on the OR side of the river a couple

years back, that one just ripped apart a single carport before

dissipating. That one was less than 2 miles from my house.

laurie

> >

> > After sending the Katrina message the other day it dawned on me

> that I left a couple unanswered questions.

> >

> > 1) Due to Katrina the public transportation systems is in a real

> poor condition and with my liking to walk I usually do so rather than

> wait for the bus. Yesterday although cold for New Orleans it was an

> average walking day for me - about 5 miles total. Today was a tipical

> New Orleans rainy day hence only 1 and a third miles.

> >

> > 2) I mentioned that I went from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist while

> in Austin. Happy to say I am back down to a 34 waist.

> >

> > As far as walking I had been doing that since high school and

> usually alone. Because of this I have developed a fast pace but have

> not attempted any race/walk competitions OR timed myself as to how

> fast my pace is. When walking with others I have to remind myself to

> slow down and at times I still have to stop and wait.

> >

> > Gerard

> >

> >

> >

> > -------------- Original message from " labtrek1941 "

> <labtrek1941@>: --------------

> >

> > So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think you

> mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you can

> mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New

> Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works for

> a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New Orleans.

> However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter works

> with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans, so

> they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting back

> and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and in

> both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better

> location.

> > _._,_.___

> > Messages in this topic (33) Reply (via web post) | Start a new

> topic

> > Messages | Files | Photos | Database

> > http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/

> >

> > We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.

> >

> > MARKETPLACE

> >

> >

> > Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an

> AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

> >

> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)

> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch

> format to Traditional

> > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent

> Activity

> > 11New Members

> > 1New Database

> > Visit Your Group

> > Yahoo! Health

> > Fit for Life

> > Getting fit is now

> > easier than ever.

> > Parenting Zone

> > Your home for

> > parenting information

> > on Yahoo! Groups.

> > Yahoo! Groups

> > Special K Challenge

> > Join others who

> > are losing pounds..

> >

>

Guest guest

Bill,

I have no idea which authorities or flood control plans you are specifically referencing.

There are various levels of government and different jurisdictions.

The New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board is responsible for drainage of the city including rain water. Yesterday was a typical rainy day and there was about 2 inches of rain and except for low lying areas such as unde-passes there was no significant water buildup.

Before Katrina each parish (substitute the word county) had its own levee board but a recent state wide vote last year redefined the levee boards as to members, composition and merged the parish levee boards into 2 - one for the west bank of the Mississippi River the other for the east bank. New Orleans except for Algiers is on the east bank of the river although at N O the river flows primarily from west to east. Metro N O is in 3 parishes with the city's jurisdiction only in Orleans Parish.

With respect to the levees themselves it is the responsibility of the US Army Corps of Engineers, a federal government responsibility.

http://thinknola.com/wiki/Levees.org

http://www.levees.org/

It was not Katrina that devastated the city but the Corps design flaws of the levee system.

The footprint of Metro New Orleans has definitely changed and how it will redevelop is anyone's guess.

http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/> > We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.> > MARKETPLACE> > > Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net. > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity> 11New Members> 1New Database> Visit Your Group > Yahoo! Health> Fit for Life> Getting fit is now> easier than ever.> Parenting Zone> Your home for>

parenting information> on Yahoo! Groups.> Yahoo! Groups> Special K Challenge> Join others who > are losing pounds..>

Guest guest

My husband was a concrete research scientist with the US Army Corps of Engineers for 33 years (Waterways Experiment Station, Vicksburg, MS) and worked on many projects but none that I can recall involving the Mississippi River or its levee system, except for the Old River Control Structure near Natchez. Most of his work involved the nuclear test site in the desert in Nevada. He was a huge critic of many of the Corps civil works. I have wished many times for his input on all this in the aftermath of Katrina.

W

Bill,

I have no idea which authorities or flood control plans you are specifically referencing.

There are various levels of government and different jurisdictions.

The New Orleans Sewerage & Water Board is responsible for drainage of the city including rain water. Yesterday was a typical rainy day and there was about 2 inches of rain and except for low lying areas such as unde-passes there was no significant water buildup.

Before Katrina each parish (substitute the word county) had its own levee board but a recent state wide vote last year redefined the levee boards as to members, composition and merged the parish levee boards into 2 - one for the west bank of the Mississippi River the other for the east bank. New Orleans except for Algiers is on the east bank of the river although at N O the river flows primarily from west to east. Metro N O is in 3 parishes with the city's jurisdiction only in Orleans Parish.

With respect to the levees themselves it is the responsibility of the US Army Corps of Engineers, a federal government responsibility.

http://thinknola.com/wiki/Levees.org

http://www.levees.org/

It was not Katrina that devastated the city but the Corps design flaws of the levee system.

The footprint of Metro New Orleans has definitely changed and how it will redevelop is anyone's guess.

http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/> > We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.> > MARKETPLACE> > > Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net. > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format to Traditional > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent Activity> 11New Members> 1New Database> Visit Your Group > Yahoo! Health> Fit for Life> Getting fit is now> easier than ever.> Parenting Zone> Your home for> parenting information> on Yahoo! Groups.> Yahoo! Groups> Special K Challenge> Join others who > are losing pounds..>

Guest guest

Hi All

When nature reclaims land it once used for nature alone, it's not all

good for humans. This flooding occurs world wide, and the unprepared

folks get the worst of being in natures worst places. I think God

helps us with disaster relief, God sends boats, helicopters, teams of

rescue personnel, food, clean water, medical care, all via humans.

The famous saying is " God Save us " . With our current understanding of

climate and climate change we should think about God saving us with

preparedness. Tsunamis hurricanes typhoons cyclones earth quakes are

natures work, God helps us in a danger zone called earth. We simply

have to use Gods help and grace before nature strikes again. Jesus

taught us about human imperfection and the need for salvation. We

should throw our efforts into right eating and right thinking and

right exerise for the inevetable challenges ahead in this place

called earth. God's help is only prayers away.

regards Bill

> >

> > After sending the Katrina message the other day it dawned on

me

> that I left a couple unanswered questions.

> >

> > 1) Due to Katrina the public transportation systems is in a

real

> poor condition and with my liking to walk I usually do so

rather than

> wait for the bus. Yesterday although cold for New Orleans it

was an

> average walking day for me - about 5 miles total. Today was a

tipical

> New Orleans rainy day hence only 1 and a third miles.

> >

> > 2) I mentioned that I went from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist

while

> in Austin. Happy to say I am back down to a 34 waist.

> >

> > As far as walking I had been doing that since high school and

> usually alone. Because of this I have developed a fast pace but

have

> not attempted any race/walk competitions OR timed myself as to

how fast my pace is. When walking with others I have to remind myself

to

> slow down and at times I still have to stop and wait.

> >

> > Gerard

> >

> >

> >

> > -------------- Original message from " labtrek1941 "

> <labtrek1941@>: --------------

> >

> > So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think

you

> mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you

can

> mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New

> Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works

for

> a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New

Orleans.

> However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter

works

> with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans,

so

> they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting

back

> and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and

in

> both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better

> location.

> > _._,_.___

> > Messages in this topic (33) Reply (via web post) | Start a

new

> topic

> > Messages | Files | Photos | Database

> > http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/

> >

> > We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.

> >

> > MARKETPLACE

> >

> >

> > Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career

with an

> AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net.

> >

> > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)

> > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest |

Switch

> format to Traditional

> > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

Recent

> Activity

> > 11New Members

> > 1New Database

> > Visit Your Group

> > Yahoo! Health

> > Fit for Life

> > Getting fit is now

> > easier than ever.

> > Parenting Zone

> > Your home for

> > parenting information

> > on Yahoo! Groups.

> > Yahoo! Groups

> > Special K Challenge

> > Join others who

> > are losing pounds..

> >

>

Guest guest

How scary - the weather patterns are really changing...with global warming, actually we will have another ice age in about 10,000 years....here's why: the ice caps melt pouring fresh water into the oceans....the oceans cool down, the jet stream which gives us our weather patterns stops or diminishes...which actually cools down the earth because there are no more warm currents blowing in from the oceans...after years and years of this the temperature of the earth actually drops....hence, another ice age. Ice ages cycle and have been part of the earth's weather for eons. Okay...now I sound like Al Gore! Sorry! Bethspamthekat wrote: wow that's crazy, i never thought about hurricanes in toronto before.did you guys hear about the Tornado in Vancouver WA last week? thatwas really crazy. we get them every year, but they're usually morelike giant dust devils. one of my coworkers was a witness to the onein Milwaukie OR back in 95 or 96 and he said it was all of 6inches indiameter but still did some damage to his dads gas station.i could see the sky above that one in Milwaukie, that day and thoughtit looked funny but had no idea we had a mini tornado until i got home.anyway, the little tornado in Hazel Dell/Vancouver made a bit of amess. Luckily no one was seriously hurt, unlike the last couple thathit that area. Better building codes now. They seem to get a good oneover there every 20 or 30

years.I can see vancouver from the hill by my house, just across the river.and there was a mini tornado on the OR side of the river a coupleyears back, that one just ripped apart a single carport beforedissipating. That one was less than 2 miles from my house. laurie> >> > After sending the Katrina message the other day it dawned on me > that I left a couple unanswered questions.> > > > 1) Due to Katrina the public transportation systems is in a real >

poor condition and with my liking to walk I usually do so rather than > wait for the bus. Yesterday although cold for New Orleans it was an > average walking day for me - about 5 miles total. Today was a tipical > New Orleans rainy day hence only 1 and a third miles.> > > > 2) I mentioned that I went from a size 34 waist to a 38 waist while > in Austin. Happy to say I am back down to a 34 waist.> > > > As far as walking I had been doing that since high school and > usually alone. Because of this I have developed a fast pace but have > not attempted any race/walk competitions OR timed myself as to how > fast my pace is. When walking with others I have to remind myself to > slow down and at times I still have to stop and wait.> > > > Gerard> > > > > > > > -------------- Original message from "labtrek1941" >

<labtrek1941@>: -------------- > > > > So glad that you were able to find a suitable place (I think you > mentioned earlier that you bought a condo) in an area where you can > mostly walk to wherever you need to be, Gerard. So much of New > Orleans is such a beautiful city for walking. My daughter works for > a landscape architect, most of whose clients are in New Orleans. > However, she also has clients in Pass Christian and my daughter works > with those. Her boss's husband is an architect in New Orleans, so > they have a house here and one there, and do a lot of commuting back > and forth. The husband's great love is restoring old homes, and in > both New Orleans and here, he could hardly have picked a better > location. > > _._,_.___ > > Messages in this topic (33) Reply (via web post) | Start a new > topic > > Messages

| Files | Photos | Database > > http://www.thefatmanwalking.com/> > > > We do NOT allow Flaming of our members.> > > > MARKETPLACE> > > > > > Earn your degree in as few as 2 years - Advance your career with an > AS, BS, MS degree - College-Finder.net. > > > > Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required) > > Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch > format to Traditional > > Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe Recent > Activity> > 11New Members> > 1New Database> > Visit Your Group > > Yahoo! Health> > Fit for Life> > Getting fit is now> > easier than ever.> > Parenting Zone> > Your home for> > parenting

information> > on Yahoo! Groups.> > Yahoo! Groups> > Special K Challenge> > Join others who > > are losing pounds..> >>

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Guest guest

Gerard,

thank you for telling your story again. I really enjoyed hearing it. what a collection of people we have in this group!

Do you find that New Orleans is regaining its original flavor as it is being rebuilt or do you feel a whole new aura surrounding it?

Guest guest

cycle and have been part of the earth's weather for eons. Okay

Did you ever see the show "The Future is WILD!" I can't remember what channel it was on. It was fascinating! Showed the future of the planet and their best predictions for how species would develop because of the planetary changes. Personally, I like the idea that the planet has mechanisms for saving itself periodically. Lessens the away the idea that we will screw it up completely beyond repair!

Guest guest

I agree with you...the earth was here long before man...will be here long after us...and repair itself over time.DreamOn145@... wrote: In a message dated 1/18/2008 6:44:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, BethLackey writes: cycle and have been part of the earth's weather for eons. Okay Did you ever see the show "The Future is WILD!" I can't remember what channel it was on. It was fascinating! Showed the future of the planet and their best predictions for how species would develop because of the planetary changes. Personally, I like the idea that the planet has mechanisms for saving itself periodically. Lessens the away the idea that we will screw it up completely beyond repair! Janet Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

Guest guest

I agree.

In a message dated 1/18/2008 6:44:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, BethLackey writes:

cycle and have been part of the earth's weather for eons. Okay

Did you ever see the show "The Future is WILD!" I can't remember what channel it was on. It was fascinating! Showed the future of the planet and their best predictions for how species would develop because of the planetary changes. Personally, I like the idea that the planet has mechanisms for saving itself periodically. Lessens the away the idea that we will screw it up completely beyond repair!

Janet

Guest guest

there was an interesting article that i didnt get time to read.

about how animals may adjust to climate change.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/01/080104172131.htm

there was also a really cool show on Eastern OR the other night

showing how the Oregon ecology has vastly changed. there used to be

Rhino's and other large mamals here.

laurie

> Did you ever see the show " The Future is WILD! " I can't remember

what channel it was on. It was fascinating! Showed the future of the

planet and their best predictions for how species would develop

because of the planetary changes. Personally, I like the idea that

the planet has mechanisms for saving itself periodically. Lessens the

away the idea that we will screw it up completely beyond repair!

>

> Janet

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

>

Guest guest

changes - man made and ecological - causes inevitable changes

Gerard,

I am sure that a change of that size is causing pretty monumental changes.

One thing that amazes me is that because of the HUGE growth in this area we now have the largest populations of Mexican immigrants in the East. It has made for HUGE changes in recent years. And of course the growth has also caused people from other areas to come pouring in here as well. One nice thing about having of the immigrants come in, it has taken the focus off all the complaints about the damn yankees lol