(desired outcome so we cant have (desired object) If I don't cave

the expected behavior is reinforced, until it becomes both learned

and routine. (really the not caving is the hardest part!!) Children

Learn, they want things so they learn to get them. Many times I find

the adults misapplication is the real problem, Children are

innocent, they are children, untill they are teenagers. (foundation

is your only saving grace) because mutation occurs during teen years

and if parents can remain constants, children can experiment. anyway

it has worked so far 21, and 15 are still ok, even nice sometimes. :)

Guest guest

Environmental wrote-

" The mistake, I think, was naming the technique " POSITIVE

Reinforcement " instead of something like " Quick Behavioral

Reinforcement. " (I can't think of anything snappier at the moment,

but this comes close.) "

Hmm.. How about " Rapid Reinforcement " ?

That sounds catchy enough for people to cling to. It's a shame

though that people have to have a gimmicky name to associate with

the principle of a technique in order to remind them how the

technique actually works.

Tom

Administrator

Guest guest

I like chess :-) It is interesting to see how others play (one's

opponent) gives one quite a lot of insight into what kind of person

they are I think.

As for getting into role playing and other games - I think to some

extent it was more or less a boy's club when I was at school and

despite my being interested in such I was not accepted on the premise

of my sex (i.e being female).

I have been wanting to teach my son how to play chess for sometime

now - I taught him how to play draughts (chequers?). However he has a

lot of trouble with the losing aspect. He is fine if he wins, or I

let him win, but I also believe he needs to learn how to lose and his

reaction to losing isn't exactly pretty :-(

" If you find you can regularly play over from memory a game you have

just played then you're probably ready to start playing blindfold

chess.) "

As I was reading this part I could visually and automatically see the

chess board and pieces :-)

> >

> > What video games does your son usually play? I usually play Risk

and

> win.

> > God bless, Irelan

> >

> >

> > ---------------------------------

> > The fish are biting.

> > Get more visitors on your site using Search Marketing.

> >

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Need a quick answer? Get one in minutes from people who know. Ask

your question on Answers.

>

> ---------------------------------

> Need Mail bonding?

> Go to the Q & A for great tips from Answers users.

>

Guest guest

I let my son know there are consequences to actions and although

theoretically he can do what he wants, somethings have negative

consequences (this perhaps contradicting Raven's neutral theory

possibly?), but however some consequences are less desirable than

others. I make it quite clear to my son the consequences of his

actions and stick by them (the consistency part).

In my personal opinion physical punishment has never worked for my

son, therefore I have applied punishment that has more impact -

taking away of games/privelages etc (never taking away a need); my

son is well aware of the cosequences following a given action so

there is little problem and he accepts such (this was harder when he

was younger).

He also understands that I am going to be angrier, more dissapointed

and more harsh on him if he lies to me or tries to cover something

up - obviously him telling me the truth if that truth involves

bad/inappropriate behaviour that was done willfully and intentionally

is still going to get punished, but not as much as if he were to try

and lie and cover up such.

> >

> > Heph answered: " Hmm.. How about " Rapid Reinforcement " ? "

> >

> > I'm in a rush to dash off to a business meeting (yes, I checked

in

> > here first before heading out ... LOL) but when I get back, Heph,

I

> > will provide you with an example of " Rapid Reinforcement " as it

> > applies to Cub. Hahahaha!

> >

> > Raven

> > Co-Administrator

> >

> In the interim logical consequence based reinforcement. In my

case,

> steady reliable behavior of the adult (creating a safe expected

> environment) coupled with making the choice and the responsibility

of

> the choice the child's has worked.

>

> Example. I use a lot of " If, then: " statements. If you want

(desired

> object) then you must (desired outcome) Or the reverse, you didn't

> (desired outcome so we cant have (desired object) If I don't cave

> the expected behavior is reinforced, until it becomes both learned

> and routine. (really the not caving is the hardest part!!)

Children

> Learn, they want things so they learn to get them. Many times I

find

> the adults misapplication is the real problem, Children are

> innocent, they are children, untill they are teenagers.

(foundation

> is your only saving grace) because mutation occurs during teen

years

> and if parents can remain constants, children can experiment.

anyway

> it has worked so far 21, and 15 are still ok, even nice

sometimes. :)

>

Guest guest

wrote: " I let my son know there are consequences to actions

and although theoretically he can do what he wants, somethings have

negative consequences (this perhaps contradicting Raven's neutral

theory possibly?), but however some consequences are less desirable

than others. I make it quite clear to my son the consequences of his

actions and stick by them (the consistency part) ... <snip> ... "

Actually, , it doesn't contradict the Law of Neutrality. :-)

Your son chooses an action. The action is neutral. You decide how

you will react to it. You then choose an action and it is neutral

even though the emotion attached to it is negative. Hence, in your

opinion the consequence is negative.

The consequence is a neutral event. Your son decides how he will

react to it. He then chooses an action and it is neutral even

though the emotion attached to it is negative. Hence, in his

opinion the consequence is negative.

The action that precipitated the consequence just like the

consequence itself remain neutral. The emotions you and your son

have attached to all the actions determines if it is negative or

positive.

In this case, attaching negative emotions to the situation means

that you are able to guide him into actions that will elicit more

positive reactions that what he and you may be experiencing in this

particular moment. :-D

wrote: " ... <snip> ... He also understands that I am going

to be angrier, more dissapointed and more harsh on him if he lies to

me or tries to cover something up - obviously him telling me the

truth if that truth involves bad/inappropriate behaviour that was

done willfully and intentionally is still going to get punished, but

not as much as if he were to try and lie and cover up such. "

That makes sense, . You see, the first inappropriate action

warrants a reaction. Lying is a second inappropriate action itself

and as such warrants a reaction all its own. Therefore, if someone

does something against your rules that is reason enough for a

consequence. And if that same someone does something that further

muddies the waters, that is reason enough for a modified

consequence, a parallel consequence or a subsequent consequence.

It works the same way at my house as well, if that's any consolation.

I have told Cub that if he does something he knows is against my

rules and he tells me, there will still be a consequence of a

negative nature. If I find out about it before he tells me, the

consequence will be a little more involved than it would have been

in the first instance. And if I find out about it and then learn

that he purposely lied in order to hide the first act, then he will

receive a consequence for what he did that displeased me and then he

will receive a much larger consequence for the subterfuge.

Lying is, in my opinion, the most unacceptable action that can

happen in my environment. All other actions that I perceive as

being negative begin in a lie ... either to one's self or to another

(i.e. to one's self would be convincing yourself that the action is

a good idea in the first place).

Raven

Co-Administrator

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/9/2007 1:10:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

Okay, you probably won't believe this, but one of my professors in college was the co-inventor of one of the techniques used today in modern teaching practices on the elementary, middle school, and secondary school levels.

I found this article in the Washington Times that talks about this very issue. It goes along with all that I have been reading over the years on this topic.

Self-esteem to the extreme

By GreenbergFebruary 5, 2007

Remember self-esteem? It was one of the sillier -- and more dangerous -- fads in educational circles, which keep going round and round. The theory was that promoting kids' self-esteem would convince them they were great. And it just might. But that's no guarantee they are great. On the contrary, this kind of psychological scam could have the opposite effect. Having been told how well they're doing throughout their well-insulated school years, these kids could be in for the shock of their nice, cushioned lives when they're thrown into the real world. And discover that their education wasn't so great after all. Or that a better word for it might be shoddy. The realization might be so crushing they would just give up. Some of us had hoped this fad had come and gone. It had. But now it's come back. Bad ideas apparently never die; they just go underground for a while. There they lurk, like an infection, waiting to crop up again in the strangest places. As in a statement from Arkansas' new governor, Mike Beebe. Mr. Beebe came out against schools' sending reports home about overweight kids lest we hurt their "self-esteem." What kind of report? It's called a body-mass index, which measures how fat or skinny a kid is -- based on factors like height, weight, age and sex. Why be concerned about kids' weight? Because obesity is a real problem in this country. It saps kids' mental and physical development, and can lead to serious problems down the road -- like diabetes, stroke and heart attacks. Overweight kids are also prime candidates for psychological disorders like anorexia and bulimia. Adolescents are notoriously sensitive about their appearance and their peers' opinion of it. The teasing that fatties get in school can be cruel -- and lead them to do dangerous things. A simple report from school about a child's weight might get parents' attention, or even move them to do something about their kid's dietary habits or lack of exercise. It's worth a try. We check kids' eyesight and hearing, don't we? Why not their physical fitness? Because we're told it would hurt their self-esteem. Well, some kids have entirely too much self-esteem already. A geometry teacher I once knew had a phrase for it: climbing Fool's Hill. The tumble down can be painful. Are teachers even allowed to say such things any more? Or has it been decided that folk wisdom is psychologically impairing, too? Some of these kids may be all et up with self-esteem, but they're woefully short on self-respect, which is quite another thing. Self-respect flows from self-discipline and the real achievement it leads to. It doesn't depend on psychological gamesmanship. And it's not just kids. Have you taken a good look lately at American politics, academia, fashion, journalism and public life in general? It over-runneth with the kind of self-esteem that cometh before a fall. There is such a thing as unearned grace -- don't I know it -- but self-esteem is unearned folly. Its fruit is pride, not humility. You can tell a lot about an educational system by its vocabulary. When Calvinistic terms like grace and works are replaced by educantisms like self-esteem, you know the system is in trouble. Or is even to think on grace and works now considered a violation of the separation of church and state? The mere mention of a religious idea in public has been known to make some of our more advanced thinkers break out in hives and litigation. As for those of us inclined to sneak a biblical allusion into our prose now and then, we need not fear; our "educated" classes may no longer recognize it. The theory behind the Cult of Self-Esteem is simple: First get the cart, then put it before the horse. Just feel good about yourself and achievement will follow automatically. It would be too much to call this approach instant gratification; it's really more like pre-gratification. What we have here is one more high-cost detour into the weedy lots of educanto. What a pity the self-esteem fad wasn't lost forever in all that verbal high grass. Want to build real self-esteem, the kind that is the fruit of self-respect and not just an inadequate substitute for it? Expect, even insist on, competence. Don't pretend it's there when it isn't. If that sounds too hard, that's the catch with self-respect -- it has to be earned. Self-esteem, on the other hand, costs little or nothing. And it's worth just what you pay for it. Greenberg is a nationally syndicated columnist.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/9/2007 1:10:26 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

Okay, you probably won't believe this, but one of my professors in college was the co-inventor of one of the techniques used today in modern teaching practices on the elementary, middle school, and secondary school levels.

I found this article in the Washington Times that talks about this very issue. It goes along with all that I have been reading over the years on this topic.

Self-esteem to the extreme

By GreenbergFebruary 5, 2007

Remember self-esteem? It was one of the sillier -- and more dangerous -- fads in educational circles, which keep going round and round. The theory was that promoting kids' self-esteem would convince them they were great. And it just might. But that's no guarantee they are great. On the contrary, this kind of psychological scam could have the opposite effect. Having been told how well they're doing throughout their well-insulated school years, these kids could be in for the shock of their nice, cushioned lives when they're thrown into the real world. And discover that their education wasn't so great after all. Or that a better word for it might be shoddy. The realization might be so crushing they would just give up. Some of us had hoped this fad had come and gone. It had. But now it's come back. Bad ideas apparently never die; they just go underground for a while. There they lurk, like an infection, waiting to crop up again in the strangest places. As in a statement from Arkansas' new governor, Mike Beebe. Mr. Beebe came out against schools' sending reports home about overweight kids lest we hurt their "self-esteem." What kind of report? It's called a body-mass index, which measures how fat or skinny a kid is -- based on factors like height, weight, age and sex. Why be concerned about kids' weight? Because obesity is a real problem in this country. It saps kids' mental and physical development, and can lead to serious problems down the road -- like diabetes, stroke and heart attacks. Overweight kids are also prime candidates for psychological disorders like anorexia and bulimia. Adolescents are notoriously sensitive about their appearance and their peers' opinion of it. The teasing that fatties get in school can be cruel -- and lead them to do dangerous things. A simple report from school about a child's weight might get parents' attention, or even move them to do something about their kid's dietary habits or lack of exercise. It's worth a try. We check kids' eyesight and hearing, don't we? Why not their physical fitness? Because we're told it would hurt their self-esteem. Well, some kids have entirely too much self-esteem already. A geometry teacher I once knew had a phrase for it: climbing Fool's Hill. The tumble down can be painful. Are teachers even allowed to say such things any more? Or has it been decided that folk wisdom is psychologically impairing, too? Some of these kids may be all et up with self-esteem, but they're woefully short on self-respect, which is quite another thing. Self-respect flows from self-discipline and the real achievement it leads to. It doesn't depend on psychological gamesmanship. And it's not just kids. Have you taken a good look lately at American politics, academia, fashion, journalism and public life in general? It over-runneth with the kind of self-esteem that cometh before a fall. There is such a thing as unearned grace -- don't I know it -- but self-esteem is unearned folly. Its fruit is pride, not humility. You can tell a lot about an educational system by its vocabulary. When Calvinistic terms like grace and works are replaced by educantisms like self-esteem, you know the system is in trouble. Or is even to think on grace and works now considered a violation of the separation of church and state? The mere mention of a religious idea in public has been known to make some of our more advanced thinkers break out in hives and litigation. As for those of us inclined to sneak a biblical allusion into our prose now and then, we need not fear; our "educated" classes may no longer recognize it. The theory behind the Cult of Self-Esteem is simple: First get the cart, then put it before the horse. Just feel good about yourself and achievement will follow automatically. It would be too much to call this approach instant gratification; it's really more like pre-gratification. What we have here is one more high-cost detour into the weedy lots of educanto. What a pity the self-esteem fad wasn't lost forever in all that verbal high grass. Want to build real self-esteem, the kind that is the fruit of self-respect and not just an inadequate substitute for it? Expect, even insist on, competence. Don't pretend it's there when it isn't. If that sounds too hard, that's the catch with self-respect -- it has to be earned. Self-esteem, on the other hand, costs little or nothing. And it's worth just what you pay for it. Greenberg is a nationally syndicated columnist.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/9/2007 1:47:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

, Being a war buff as you are, and a follower of the American and world political psyche, I just wondered if you have noticed these three slight hypocrisies that I have noticed:

I'm not exactly a way buff as a history buff. The old adage of learning history or being doomed to repeat it is true. Military history is a vital part of history. It is a shame that our leaders, both military and civilian don't bother to learn these lessons. The civilian Joe on the street especially hasn't been taught the first hint of a lesson about war and what it really is.

The media in general is against the war in Iraq and against terrorism. Why? Quite cynically I think it is because a Republican is running it. Bill Clinton ordered more military deployments than any previous president and bombed the daylights out of a European nation, including blocking the Danube River which was a major commercial waterway, but there was never anything but praise. Even when bombs killed civilians and hit the Chinese embassy, all that was mentioned then slipped under the rug. There was one chance that he had to get Bin Laudin, but to do so would have meant cruise missiling a city which would have killed thousands of civilians. The Navy Officer in charge of the flotilla refused to fire in spite of very heavy pressure from the White House. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened then.

Also bear in mind that the media is over 85% Democrat based on political registration. During the last Presidential Election, the entire behind the scenes staff at one of the major news networks was cheering and having parties for Kerry. Editorial and newspaper staffs are just as bad.

Not only is there political bias, but also the old standard, "if it bleeds it leads." In order to get the biggest audience, the media tries to put forward the bloodiest and most gruesome stories possible to get a leg up on the competition. You can see how blatantly thin all this is with the death. This trivium has been front and center for days now. Why? Because it is the latest salacious bit of tripe. That they would drop their war coverage for this clearly shows they media is just whoring for ratings. Still, I'd rather see them rip into the life of that tart than lambasting the troops.

There is an article in the latest Armchair General magazine about the media in war. They point out that the media has been a power since the American Civil War, though I would say much earlier than that. Many of the first news reports coming from battlefields was wrong. Other stories were usually highly biased for or against one side or the other. That still goes on today. All you have to do is look at the Israeli attack on Lebanon. Reporting there was incredibly biased and shoddy with many made up, staged or doctored images being presented. Also conveniently ignored were things like the continued attacks into Israel, especially from Gaza. Even today there are daily rocket attacks, clear violations of the cease fire, but that never makes the news, only Israeli retaliations do.

It is the same in Iraq. There is a political bias around the world against the war so the vultures are doing their best to portray the US and its allies in the worst light possible. Again, a lot of the images are staged or taken out of context. Some of the pictures that have been posted were actually from training exercises teaching the troops how to handle certain situations, but presented as real life events. There is a lot good going on over there, but rarely is it mentioned.

The public also has no patience anymore. Well, it never really did. Even during WWII there were major morale problems with the civilians and even a possibility of pulling out of the war before it was won. Even during the Civil War, Lincoln was hated by the North, ruthlessly mocked and derided far worse than Bush is today. At least in WWII, people were willing to endure heavy losses. Then, it was not uncommon for a single battle to result in more losses than have occurred in all of Iraq and Afghanistan in these years.

I agree that Afghanistan will probably be like Korea. We are doing well there so far, probably better than in Iraq. However, we are facing the same problem of a basically tribal society where most tribes hate each other. It has always been like that and trying to get them to cooperate is probably a lost cause. This isn't helped by the fact that Northwest Pakistan is just as bad and is full of Al Quida supporters and is a Wild West that the government has no control over.

Again, Iraq was probably a mistake. Students of history would have known this and not bothered with an invasion. Iran certainly would have been easier to control with Sadaam still in power. They also would have learned that if they were determined to invade, not to fight the war "on the cheap" as Rumsfeld put it. Turkey refused to allow several divisions to invade Iraq from its territory for a number of reasons. We should have waited the couple of months to allow them to move to Kuwait and Saudi. Then, we would have had enough force to secure the areas we took and maintain civil order.

That period of chaos sowed the seeds for much of today's problems. Had the peace been maintained, the local militias that are causing so much of the trouble today would not have reached the strength that they have and would be no real problem. We also could have crushed the Sunni, who were the original troublemakers, swiftly before things got so messy. It would also have been easier to keep the Shia under control as well. By the same token, the greater show of strength, will and success would have intimidated Iran and kept them from fooling around in Iraq like they have been. Our showing so far has shown them that we aren't serious about fighting and won't be a threat to them. That's what happens when you play at war rather than fight one.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/9/2007 1:47:32 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

, Being a war buff as you are, and a follower of the American and world political psyche, I just wondered if you have noticed these three slight hypocrisies that I have noticed:

I'm not exactly a way buff as a history buff. The old adage of learning history or being doomed to repeat it is true. Military history is a vital part of history. It is a shame that our leaders, both military and civilian don't bother to learn these lessons. The civilian Joe on the street especially hasn't been taught the first hint of a lesson about war and what it really is.

The media in general is against the war in Iraq and against terrorism. Why? Quite cynically I think it is because a Republican is running it. Bill Clinton ordered more military deployments than any previous president and bombed the daylights out of a European nation, including blocking the Danube River which was a major commercial waterway, but there was never anything but praise. Even when bombs killed civilians and hit the Chinese embassy, all that was mentioned then slipped under the rug. There was one chance that he had to get Bin Laudin, but to do so would have meant cruise missiling a city which would have killed thousands of civilians. The Navy Officer in charge of the flotilla refused to fire in spite of very heavy pressure from the White House. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened then.

Also bear in mind that the media is over 85% Democrat based on political registration. During the last Presidential Election, the entire behind the scenes staff at one of the major news networks was cheering and having parties for Kerry. Editorial and newspaper staffs are just as bad.

Not only is there political bias, but also the old standard, "if it bleeds it leads." In order to get the biggest audience, the media tries to put forward the bloodiest and most gruesome stories possible to get a leg up on the competition. You can see how blatantly thin all this is with the death. This trivium has been front and center for days now. Why? Because it is the latest salacious bit of tripe. That they would drop their war coverage for this clearly shows they media is just whoring for ratings. Still, I'd rather see them rip into the life of that tart than lambasting the troops.

There is an article in the latest Armchair General magazine about the media in war. They point out that the media has been a power since the American Civil War, though I would say much earlier than that. Many of the first news reports coming from battlefields was wrong. Other stories were usually highly biased for or against one side or the other. That still goes on today. All you have to do is look at the Israeli attack on Lebanon. Reporting there was incredibly biased and shoddy with many made up, staged or doctored images being presented. Also conveniently ignored were things like the continued attacks into Israel, especially from Gaza. Even today there are daily rocket attacks, clear violations of the cease fire, but that never makes the news, only Israeli retaliations do.

It is the same in Iraq. There is a political bias around the world against the war so the vultures are doing their best to portray the US and its allies in the worst light possible. Again, a lot of the images are staged or taken out of context. Some of the pictures that have been posted were actually from training exercises teaching the troops how to handle certain situations, but presented as real life events. There is a lot good going on over there, but rarely is it mentioned.

The public also has no patience anymore. Well, it never really did. Even during WWII there were major morale problems with the civilians and even a possibility of pulling out of the war before it was won. Even during the Civil War, Lincoln was hated by the North, ruthlessly mocked and derided far worse than Bush is today. At least in WWII, people were willing to endure heavy losses. Then, it was not uncommon for a single battle to result in more losses than have occurred in all of Iraq and Afghanistan in these years.

I agree that Afghanistan will probably be like Korea. We are doing well there so far, probably better than in Iraq. However, we are facing the same problem of a basically tribal society where most tribes hate each other. It has always been like that and trying to get them to cooperate is probably a lost cause. This isn't helped by the fact that Northwest Pakistan is just as bad and is full of Al Quida supporters and is a Wild West that the government has no control over.

Again, Iraq was probably a mistake. Students of history would have known this and not bothered with an invasion. Iran certainly would have been easier to control with Sadaam still in power. They also would have learned that if they were determined to invade, not to fight the war "on the cheap" as Rumsfeld put it. Turkey refused to allow several divisions to invade Iraq from its territory for a number of reasons. We should have waited the couple of months to allow them to move to Kuwait and Saudi. Then, we would have had enough force to secure the areas we took and maintain civil order.

That period of chaos sowed the seeds for much of today's problems. Had the peace been maintained, the local militias that are causing so much of the trouble today would not have reached the strength that they have and would be no real problem. We also could have crushed the Sunni, who were the original troublemakers, swiftly before things got so messy. It would also have been easier to keep the Shia under control as well. By the same token, the greater show of strength, will and success would have intimidated Iran and kept them from fooling around in Iraq like they have been. Our showing so far has shown them that we aren't serious about fighting and won't be a threat to them. That's what happens when you play at war rather than fight one.

Guest guest

" It works the same way at my house as well, if that's any

consolation. "

Some, yes :-) although reading of some of your punishments I suspect

you may be a harder task master/mistress than I :-)

" ... <snip> ... He also understands that I am going

> to be angrier, more dissapointed and more harsh on him if he lies

to

> me or tries to cover something up - obviously him telling me the

> truth if that truth involves bad/inappropriate behaviour that was

> done willfully and intentionally is still going to get punished,

but

> not as much as if he were to try and lie and cover up such. "

>

> That makes sense, . You see, the first inappropriate action

> warrants a reaction. Lying is a second inappropriate action itself

> and as such warrants a reaction all its own. Therefore, if someone

> does something against your rules that is reason enough for a

> consequence. And if that same someone does something that further

> muddies the waters, that is reason enough for a modified

> consequence, a parallel consequence or a subsequent consequence.

>

> It works the same way at my house as well, if that's any

consolation.

>

> I have told Cub that if he does something he knows is against my

> rules and he tells me, there will still be a consequence of a

> negative nature. If I find out about it before he tells me, the

> consequence will be a little more involved than it would have been

> in the first instance. And if I find out about it and then learn

> that he purposely lied in order to hide the first act, then he will

> receive a consequence for what he did that displeased me and then

he

> will receive a much larger consequence for the subterfuge.

>

> Lying is, in my opinion, the most unacceptable action that can

> happen in my environment. All other actions that I perceive as

> being negative begin in a lie ... either to one's self or to

another

> (i.e. to one's self would be convincing yourself that the action is

> a good idea in the first place).

>

> Raven

> Co-Administrator

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/10/2007 6:09:21 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

With that said, schools CAN have a right to bring up these deficiencies as significant issues, since you cannot teach a kid who cannot see or hear as well as you can teach a kid who CAN see and hear, and you cannot conduct gym as easily for overweight kids or kids who have back problems as you can for thin kids and kids who do NOT have back problems. TomAdministrator

This is why I think they should send notices. I had really bad vision even as a child. Some of the teachers noticed and told my parents and that was when I was finally sent to be tested and got glasses. If kids are having problems the teachers notice, it would make sense for them to mention this to the parents. Only problem is how litigious our society is and some people will sue for anything.

Guest guest

" Mr. Beebe came out against schools' sending reports home about

overweight kids lest we hurt their " self-esteem. "

While I agree with the theme of the article, I don't think a kid's

weight is anyone's business but the parents' and child's.

Schools should NOT be testing for hearing, vision, scoliosis, or

weight. Kids are required to get a physical before they enter school

each year, thus these things have already presumably been checked.

Since none of these would-be deficiencies pose a health threat to

other kids, then it isn't the school's business to be sticking their

noses in.

With that said, schools CAN have a right to bring up these

deficiencies as significant issues, since you cannot teach a kid who

cannot see or hear as well as you can teach a kid who CAN see and

hear, and you cannot conduct gym as easily for overweight kids or kids

who have back problems as you can for thin kids and kids who do NOT

have back problems.

Tom

Administrator

Guest guest

" The media in general is against the war in Iraq and against

terrorism. Why? Quite cynically I think it is because a Republican

is running it. "

The Democrats have a direct role in these affairs. It's not just

peripheral.

As much as the Democrats have been forming committees to examine the

fiasco in Iraq, and are trying to possibly block future war funding,

there is not a peep out of them about Afghanistan.

I think the reason is because, at present, the Democrats do not have

a leg to stand on. The troops are doing well over there in

Afghanistan. If the Democrats were to whine about us being in

Afghanistan for so long with such progress being made, the people

would hate them for it.

And that is also why the media aren't bring up so many faults in

that war: Because there aren't many, and the media doesn't want the

public to hate them for making dunghills out of molehills.

What I think is that the Democrats are using the toops in Iraq as a

bartering chip to gain the Presidency in the next election and that

they really do not care about the troops at all.

If the lives of EVERY troop were important, as the Democrats say,

then they'd be trying to pull us out of Afghanistan too.

Tom

Administrator

Guest guest

" The media in general is against the war in Iraq and against

terrorism. Why? Quite cynically I think it is because a Republican

is running it. "

The Democrats have a direct role in these affairs. It's not just

peripheral.

As much as the Democrats have been forming committees to examine the

fiasco in Iraq, and are trying to possibly block future war funding,

there is not a peep out of them about Afghanistan.

I think the reason is because, at present, the Democrats do not have

a leg to stand on. The troops are doing well over there in

Afghanistan. If the Democrats were to whine about us being in

Afghanistan for so long with such progress being made, the people

would hate them for it.

And that is also why the media aren't bring up so many faults in

that war: Because there aren't many, and the media doesn't want the

public to hate them for making dunghills out of molehills.

What I think is that the Democrats are using the toops in Iraq as a

bartering chip to gain the Presidency in the next election and that

they really do not care about the troops at all.

If the lives of EVERY troop were important, as the Democrats say,

then they'd be trying to pull us out of Afghanistan too.

Tom

Administrator

Guest guest

>

AMEN LOL actually I verymuch liked the bit about your future depending

on the words one chooses to speak!!!!! very compelling, could you come

to my house!!!!!!! please please there are several people I would like

you to teach!!!!!!!!

Guest guest

>

AMEN LOL actually I verymuch liked the bit about your future depending

on the words one chooses to speak!!!!! very compelling, could you come

to my house!!!!!!! please please there are several people I would like

you to teach!!!!!!!!

Guest guest

>

>

Not only is there political bias, but also the old standard, " if it

bleeds it leads. " In order to get the biggest audience, the media

tries to put forward the bloodiest and most gruesome stories possible

to get a leg up on the competition. You can see how blatantly thin

all this is with the death. This trivium has been

front and center for days now. Why? Because it is the latest

salacious bit of tripe. That they would drop their war coverage for

this clearly shows they media is just whoring for ratings. Still, I'd

rather see them rip into the life of that tart than lambasting the

troops>

>

>

> Again, Iraq was probably a mistake. Students of history would have

known

> this and not bothered with an invasion. Iran certainly would have

been easier to

> control with Sadaam still in power. They also would have learned

that if they

> were determined to invade, not to fight the war " on the cheap " as

Rumsfeld

> put it. Turkey refused to allow several divisions to invade Iraq

from its

> territory for a number of reasons. We should have waited the

couple of months to

> allow them to move to Kuwait and Saudi. Then, we would have had

enough force

> to secure the areas we took and maintain civil order.

>

> That period of chaos sowed the seeds for much of today's problems.

Had the

> peace been maintained, the local militias that are causing so much

of the

> trouble today would not have reached the strength that they have

and would be no

> real problem. We also could have crushed the Sunni, who were the

original

> troublemakers, swiftly before things got so messy. It would also

have been

> easier to keep the Shia under control as well. By the same token,

the greater show

> of strength, will and success would have intimidated Iran and kept

them from

> fooling around in Iraq like they have been. Our showing so far has

shown

> them that we aren't serious about fighting and won't be a threat to

them. That's

> what happens when you play at war rather than fight one.

>

>

>

Man oh man I wish someone would listen to you. This is more in line

with what I was exposed to, by my own family. That there was a

better way to problem solve not with bravado but with

intelligence!!!!!

Guest guest

>

> " Mr. Beebe came out against schools' sending reports home about

> overweight kids lest we hurt their " self-esteem. "

>

> While I agree with the theme of the article, I don't think a kid's

> weight is anyone's business but the parents' and child's.

>

>

> With that said, schools CAN have a right to bring up these

> deficiencies as significant issues, since you cannot teach a kid

who

> cannot see or hear as well as you can teach a kid who CAN see and

> hear, and you cannot conduct gym as easily for overweight kids or

kids

> who have back problems as you can for thin kids and kids who do NOT

> have back problems.

>

> Tom

> Administrator

>

The real bow to self esteem is to not give a child healthy choice

that keep them from being a point of ridicule. It is a afr reaching

social problem. Dr's should be giving true information regarding

nutrition. If mom and dad feed junior ding dongs for breakfast (they

should be the point of ridicule) not the child learning to eat from

their parents.

Guest guest

>

> " Mr. Beebe came out against schools' sending reports home about

> overweight kids lest we hurt their " self-esteem. "

>

> While I agree with the theme of the article, I don't think a kid's

> weight is anyone's business but the parents' and child's.

>

>

> With that said, schools CAN have a right to bring up these

> deficiencies as significant issues, since you cannot teach a kid

who

> cannot see or hear as well as you can teach a kid who CAN see and

> hear, and you cannot conduct gym as easily for overweight kids or

kids

> who have back problems as you can for thin kids and kids who do NOT

> have back problems.

>

> Tom

> Administrator

>

The real bow to self esteem is to not give a child healthy choice

that keep them from being a point of ridicule. It is a afr reaching

social problem. Dr's should be giving true information regarding

nutrition. If mom and dad feed junior ding dongs for breakfast (they

should be the point of ridicule) not the child learning to eat from

their parents.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/11/2007 10:23:59 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, mnmimi@... writes:

Man oh man I wish someone would listen to you. This is more in line with what I was exposed to, by my own family. That there was a better way to problem solve not with bravado but with intelligence!!!!!

Bravado is usually a false front put up by someone who isn't really serious. It is a bluff meant to make the other guy stand down before a fight really happens. When you do fight, it should be all in for the win. A teacher of mine at military school was actually a former hippy and Vietnam War protestor. However, he was not totally anti-violence or anti-war. He just thought that Vietnam wasn't the right place and that it wasn't being fought properly. His opinion was to avoid fights when you can, but if you have to fight, fight to kill. He thought that if someone was really that determined to hurt you, you would have to fight all out to stop them. Same with war. If you were willing to fight, go all out to win with none of the nonsense that went on in Vietnam. He thought that if we weren't serious about winning, why were we there in the first place?

I ask the same about Iraq.

Something else they should have listened to. So far, the US has been footing the bill for fighting the war and rebuilding Iraq. The people have no stake in the future of Iraq other than the nebulous idea of Democracy, something that is rather foreign to them.

What we should have done was to give them a concrete stake in their own future. That would have been easily done. Shortly after the major fighting was over, we should have announced the following policy.

First: Oil revenues from Iraq will be used to offset military expenses from the war and will provide low cost fuel for operations in Iraq.

Second: Oil revenue from Iraq will go toward rebuilding and adding new infrastructure, rather than all the cost coming from the US government.

Third: Once Iraq is ready to stand on its own, every Iraqi citizen will receive a dividend from Iraqi oil production. The faster the war debt is paid and infrastructure is brought up to speed, the sooner the people will get paid. This would give the people a vested interest in ending the sectarian fighting that is going on and securing oil production facilities. Alaska has such a program where citizens get paid every year from oil production and it seems to work just fine.

Granted the Iraqis would not be getting a huge amount of money, but it would be some and could well be a lot to them. There is the possibility that they would try to drive some people out of the country to reduce the number of divisions, but that could be solved by paying a fixed amount per person rather than a floating value share, with the excess going to a general infrastructure fund or the like which could be monitored for corruption.

This would give the people a stake in their future and it would probably work. In some African countries, when the Ivory Trade was banned, the villagers stopped caring about the elephants because they became a nuisance. They didn't care about poachers and often poached too because the value of ivory was suddenly much greater than it had been. This contributed greatly to the reduction in the elephant population. However, once tourism became popular and people wanted to see the elephants, they became worth something again and the villagers started turning on the poachers. By the same token, when limited, legal harvests were allowed, it became in the villagers interest to protect the elephants because they could harvest a few and claim the ivory of the dead ones, in addition to tourism. This happened because people were giving a stake in it. I also think this was only done in a few places and is not a general policy and for all I know may have been discontinued.

If we had given the Iraqi people a real stake in the future, cash they could hold in their hands and not just an idea, then I think there would be a lot more peace over there.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/11/2007 6:05:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, no_reply writes:

Another advantage would be that it would be a social leveler among those that have abnsolutely no money to begin with. I think it would actually make people who are given some money feel good to know that everyone else on their social level has no more or less than they, and it will also make those who can stretch money further feel good about themselves.TomAdministrator

I can see that. I see it also as a morale boost because it is money from the produce of the country and not just a hand out from the government. Once they start getting that money, they will have a vested interest in keeping the oil flowing and keeping peace in the streets. The extra money would also help reduce poverty which is one of the factors that makes it easier for the terrorists to recruit agents. As it is, they are having to pay much more money to get someone to do an attack than they did shortly after the invasion. A lot of that is because of how dangerous it is to attack coalition troops. This is also why most attacks are against Iraqis and civilians rather than the military. so, a payout from the oil revenues would hurt recruiting even more.

The trick is that it would have to be an equal amount to everyone, rich or poor, Sunni or Shia. It also could not be shares or something like that that people could be conned into selling. The amount would probably be nothing to a Westerner, but for an Iraqi, even $50 per year would be a lot, and that amount could be increased in time, but again that would have to be universal or there would be trouble.

Guest guest

" Once Iraq is ready to stand on its own, every Iraqi citizen will

receive a dividend from Iraqi oil production. The faster the war

debt is paid and infrastructure is brought up to speed, the sooner

the people will get paid. This would give the people a vested

interest in ending the sectarian fighting that is going on and

securing oil production facilities. Alaska has such a program where

citizens get paid every year from oil production and it seems to

work just fine.

" Granted the Iraqis would not be getting a huge amount of money, but

it would be some and could well be a lot to them. "

Another advantage would be that it would be a social leveler among

those that have abnsolutely no money to begin with. I think it would

actually make people who are given some money feel good to know that

everyone else on their social level has no more or less than they,

and it will also make those who can stretch money further feel good

about themselves.

Tom

Administrator

Guest guest

" AMEN LOL actually I verymuch liked the bit about your future

depending on the words one chooses to speak!!!!! very compelling,

could you come to my house!!!!!!! please please there are several

people I would like you to teach!!!!!!!! "

Mmmmmmm why does the expression you can lead a horse to water, but

you can't make it drink spring to mind :-) what I mean is sometimes

you can try and teach all you like, some people ain't going to learn.

> >

> Lying is, in my opinion, the most unacceptable action that can

> happen in my environment. All other actions that I perceive as

> being negative begin in a lie ... either to one's self or to another

> (i.e. to one's self would be convincing yourself that the action is

> a good idea in the first place).

>

> AMEN LOL actually I verymuch liked the bit about your future

depending

> on the words one chooses to speak!!!!! very compelling, could you

come

> to my house!!!!!!! please please there are several people I would