RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Re: Finally ... A Reason To Play Video Games ... LOL

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I think that they are looking at it in the wrong way. It doesn't cure things like nearsightedness: if it did, I would have the best vision on the planet. Rather what it does is to improve things like reaction times and visual perception. Baseline vision would probably not be affected at all.

Video games can hurt the eyes, however, and there are warnings with the games and systems about this. I myself developed some annoying visual disturbances from years of playing games in the dark or low light. That has been improving though since I changed those habits several months ago. It can also cause eye strain, dry eyes and other things.

Guest guest

I think that they are looking at it in the wrong way. It doesn't cure things like nearsightedness: if it did, I would have the best vision on the planet. Rather what it does is to improve things like reaction times and visual perception. Baseline vision would probably not be affected at all.

Video games can hurt the eyes, however, and there are warnings with the games and systems about this. I myself developed some annoying visual disturbances from years of playing games in the dark or low light. That has been improving though since I changed those habits several months ago. It can also cause eye strain, dry eyes and other things.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/7/2007 4:51:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, julie.stevenson16@... writes:

"Atari"Wow, that's going back a bit now :-)

Atari is still around. They do some work with other companies on games and also provide technical support. They long since gave up on consoles of their own though.

Guest guest

In a message dated 2/7/2007 4:51:39 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, julie.stevenson16@... writes:

"Atari"Wow, that's going back a bit now :-)

Atari is still around. They do some work with other companies on games and also provide technical support. They long since gave up on consoles of their own though.

Guest guest

Hogwash.ravenmagic2003 <ravenmagic2003@...> wrote: Study says video games are good for eyes Wed Feb 7, 2:52 AM SINGAPORE, Feb 7 (Reuters Life!) - Video game addicts, rejoice: U.S. researchers have found that playing is actually good for your eyes, and despite all those dire warnings from your parents, it won't make you blind. A study by the University of Rochester showed that people who played action video games for a few hours a day over the course of a month improved their vision by about 20 percent. "Action video game play changes the way our brains process visual information," Daphne Bavelier, professor of brain and cognitive sciences, said in the study published on the university's Web site, www.rochester.edu, on Tuesday. "These games push the human visual system to the limits and the brain adapts

to it. That learning carries over into other activities and possibly everyday life." Bavelier and a graduate student tested college students who had played very few, if any, video games in the last year. Test subjects were given an eye test similar to the one used at regular eye clinics and then divided into two groups -- one played shoot-em-up action games for an hour a day while the control group played a less visually complex game. Their vision was tested after the study, with those who played the action game scoring better in the eye test. The researchers said their findings could help patients with several types of visual defects.

Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection. Try the free Beta.

Guest guest

What about boardgame video games like Risk and Backgammon that I've been playing on a second hand Nintendo DS that I got from my niece and card video games like Blackjack that I've been playing on my NES? Do any of those improve eyesight? Or for that matter, what about Maze Craze for Atari 2600? God bless, Irelan

8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time with the Search movie showtime shortcut.

Guest guest

No. Next science will be saying that reading advertisements in particular for whatever, half-baked, crackpot reason is good for improving one's sense of taste....... Irelan <irelan3166@...> wrote: What about boardgame video games like Risk and Backgammon that I've been playing on a second hand Nintendo DS that I got from my niece and card video games like Blackjack that I've been playing on my NES? Do any of those improve eyesight? Or for that matter, what about Maze Craze for Atari 2600? God bless, Irelan 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no timewith the Search movie showtime shortcut.

We won't tell. Get more on shows you hate to love(and love to hate): TV's Guilty Pleasures list.

Guest guest

HEY NICK! Welcome back. We haven't heard from you in a long time.

Glad to see you here!!!

And it might be hogwash and it might not be hogwash, but give a kid

a reason to justify time playing that GameCube or his PS2 or his

GameBoy and he'll use it to maximum effect. Trust me. Cub did. ;-)

Raven

Co-Administrator

>

> Study says video games are good for eyes Wed Feb 7, 2:52

AM

>

>

> SINGAPORE, Feb 7 (Reuters Life!) - Video game addicts, rejoice:

U.S. researchers have found that playing is actually good for your

eyes, and despite all those dire warnings from your parents, it

won't make you blind.

>

> A study by the University of Rochester showed that people who

played action video games for a few hours a day over the course of a

month improved their vision by about 20 percent.

>

> " Action video game play changes the way our brains process

visual information, " Daphne Bavelier, professor of brain and

cognitive sciences, said in the study published on the university's

Web site, www.rochester.edu, on Tuesday.

>

> " These games push the human visual system to the limits and the

brain adapts to it. That learning carries over into other activities

and possibly everyday life. "

>

> Bavelier and a graduate student tested college students who had

played very few, if any, video games in the last year.

>

> Test subjects were given an eye test similar to the one used at

regular eye clinics and then divided into two groups -- one played

shoot-em-up action games for an hour a day while the control group

played a less visually complex game.

>

> Their vision was tested after the study, with those who played

the action game scoring better in the eye test.

>

> The researchers said their findings could help patients with

several types of visual defects.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.

> Try the free Beta.

>

Guest guest

I have no idea, . My 11-year-old found the story on the Internet

and used it to justify the continued use of his video gaming systems.

I'd be interested in reading the research data however to see just how

they determined what they reported.

Raven

Co-Administrator

>

> What about boardgame video games like Risk and Backgammon that I've

been playing on a second hand Nintendo DS that I got from my niece and

card video games like Blackjack that I've been playing on my NES? Do

any of those improve eyesight? Or for that matter, what about Maze

Craze for Atari 2600?

> God bless, Irelan

>

>

> 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

> with the Search movie showtime shortcut.

>

Guest guest

I know I'm still having to wear glasses for nearsightedness. God bless, Irelan

No need to miss a message. Get email on-the-go with for Mobile. Get started.

Guest guest

Video game players can be rather amusing in their zoned out obsession. On intervention there was a man labeled as a "video game addict". He was normal looking. It's something to do I guess. I thought people grew out of that stage but, apparently there are people looking for the latest technology craze such as HDtv. I think it's a stupid waste of money but, I'm sure there are those who think buying the latest technology to hang in their living room like a digital Buddha is the right thing to do and they have a million reasons. I was just offering my opinion on the matter. ravenmagic2003 <ravenmagic2003@...> wrote: HEY NICK! Welcome back. We haven't heard from you in a long time. Glad to see you here!!!And it might be hogwash and it might not be hogwash, but give a kid a reason to justify time playing that GameCube or his PS2 or his GameBoy and he'll use it to maximum effect. Trust me. Cub did. ;-)RavenCo-Administrator > > Study says video games are good for eyes Wed Feb 7, 2:52 AM > > > SINGAPORE, Feb 7 (Reuters Life!) - Video game addicts, rejoice: U.S. researchers have found that playing is actually good for your eyes, and despite all those dire warnings from

your parents, it won't make you blind.> > A study by the University of Rochester showed that people who played action video games for a few hours a day over the course of a month improved their vision by about 20 percent.> > "Action video game play changes the way our brains process visual information," Daphne Bavelier, professor of brain and cognitive sciences, said in the study published on the university's Web site, www.rochester.edu, on Tuesday.> > "These games push the human visual system to the limits and the brain adapts to it. That learning carries over into other activities and possibly everyday life."> > Bavelier and a graduate student tested college students who had played very few, if any, video games in the last year.> > Test subjects were given an eye test similar to the one used at regular eye clinics and then divided into two groups -- one

played shoot-em-up action games for an hour a day while the control group played a less visually complex game.> > Their vision was tested after the study, with those who played the action game scoring better in the eye test.> > The researchers said their findings could help patients with several types of visual defects.> > > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Sucker-punch spam with award-winning protection.> Try the free Beta.>

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debatein the Answers Food Drink Q&A.

Guest guest

" Atari "

Wow, that's going back a bit now :-)

>

> What about boardgame video games like Risk and Backgammon that I've

been playing on a second hand Nintendo DS that I got from my niece

and card video games like Blackjack that I've been playing on my

NES? Do any of those improve eyesight? Or for that matter, what

about Maze Craze for Atari 2600?

> God bless, Irelan

>

>

> 8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

> with the Search movie showtime shortcut.

>

Guest guest

Mmmmmmmm honestly do they really need an excuse :-)

>

> HEY NICK! Welcome back. We haven't heard from you in a long time.

> Glad to see you here!!!

>

> And it might be hogwash and it might not be hogwash, but give a kid

> a reason to justify time playing that GameCube or his PS2 or his

> GameBoy and he'll use it to maximum effect. Trust me. Cub did. ;-)

>

> Raven

> Co-Administrator

>

Guest guest

Are you going to thrash this one out with Cub Raven? :-)

My son is well into his video games, but it a perfect motivator for

good behaviour as he knows I will take away the games if he

misbehaves :-) He generally a good person though, so not something I

have to do :-)

>

> I have no idea, . My 11-year-old found the story on the

Internet

> and used it to justify the continued use of his video gaming

systems.

> I'd be interested in reading the research data however to see just

how

> they determined what they reported.

>

> Raven

> Co-Administrator

>

Guest guest

I would like to say this about that.

Ravi had a multideciplanary study which stated that although he was 5

at the time his puzzle solving abilities were at an 8 yr old's level.

The Psy heading the study stated in his report that this was common

among children that played video games. that being said NOT EVERY GAME

is a game that contributes to puzzle solving. So I hand pick goal

oriented games. Rayman for instance. Puzzle games NOT FIRST PERSON

SHOOTERS. Some of the maps that people create may do this. Spongebob

and other games like Sonic antually seem to promote agressive

behavior. So everybody get a grain of salt.

Guest guest

I would like to say this about that.

Ravi had a multideciplanary study which stated that although he was 5

at the time his puzzle solving abilities were at an 8 yr old's level.

The Psy heading the study stated in his report that this was common

among children that played video games. that being said NOT EVERY GAME

is a game that contributes to puzzle solving. So I hand pick goal

oriented games. Rayman for instance. Puzzle games NOT FIRST PERSON

SHOOTERS. Some of the maps that people create may do this. Spongebob

and other games like Sonic antually seem to promote agressive

behavior. So everybody get a grain of salt.

Guest guest

Oh yeah, a blue hedgehog that looks more or less like Mickey Mouse and runs everywhere trying to free his reality from a despotic crazy inventor that seems like taken out from the mind of Popeye's creator is really a promotor of violence... Damn, how couldn't I see it? Even if there isn't a single drop of blood in that game, how could I not see all the violence embed on it? *Geez* People nowadays should make much less violent games like games based on WB cartoons where a rabbit constantly behaves like a gay kissing every man he meets or a coyote suffering all the possible accidents a living being can experiment... of course, that's not violent... or like that mouse and a cat that chase all day splitting their limbs or inflicting similar tortures and traps constantly... quiet educative and completely unviolent... Or, AH! I know... Why don't we start sending letters for video game makers to start making games about all the things that happen between the politics? That

would be AWESOME, isn't it? So educative and so full of morality and a lot of non-aggresive behavior... It would be just great... Oh, if the world just realized how terribly aggresive is Sonic The Hedgehog... *sigh*miminm <mnmimi@...> escribió: I would like to say this about that. Ravi had a multideciplanary study which stated that although he was 5 at the time his puzzle solving abilities were at an 8 yr old's level. The Psy heading the study stated in his report that this was common among

children that played video games. that being said NOT EVERY GAME is a game that contributes to puzzle solving. So I hand pick goal oriented games. Rayman for instance. Puzzle games NOT FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS. Some of the maps that people create may do this. Spongebob and other games like Sonic antually seem to promote agressive behavior. So everybody get a grain of salt.Jano C. Lora PazIPRI Leading Teacher

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.Llamadas a fijos y móviles desde 1 céntimo por minuto.http://es.voice.

Guest guest

Oh yeah, a blue hedgehog that looks more or less like Mickey Mouse and runs everywhere trying to free his reality from a despotic crazy inventor that seems like taken out from the mind of Popeye's creator is really a promotor of violence... Damn, how couldn't I see it? Even if there isn't a single drop of blood in that game, how could I not see all the violence embed on it? *Geez* People nowadays should make much less violent games like games based on WB cartoons where a rabbit constantly behaves like a gay kissing every man he meets or a coyote suffering all the possible accidents a living being can experiment... of course, that's not violent... or like that mouse and a cat that chase all day splitting their limbs or inflicting similar tortures and traps constantly... quiet educative and completely unviolent... Or, AH! I know... Why don't we start sending letters for video game makers to start making games about all the things that happen between the politics? That

would be AWESOME, isn't it? So educative and so full of morality and a lot of non-aggresive behavior... It would be just great... Oh, if the world just realized how terribly aggresive is Sonic The Hedgehog... *sigh*miminm <mnmimi@...> escribió: I would like to say this about that. Ravi had a multideciplanary study which stated that although he was 5 at the time his puzzle solving abilities were at an 8 yr old's level. The Psy heading the study stated in his report that this was common among

children that played video games. that being said NOT EVERY GAME is a game that contributes to puzzle solving. So I hand pick goal oriented games. Rayman for instance. Puzzle games NOT FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS. Some of the maps that people create may do this. Spongebob and other games like Sonic antually seem to promote agressive behavior. So everybody get a grain of salt.Jano C. Lora PazIPRI Leading Teacher

LLama Gratis a cualquier PC del Mundo.Llamadas a fijos y móviles desde 1 céntimo por minuto.http://es.voice.

Guest guest

> be AWESOME, isn't it? So educative and so full of morality and a lot

of non-aggresive behavior... It would be just great... Oh, if the world

just realized how terribly aggresive is Sonic The Hedgehog... *sigh*

>

there must be some misunderstanding. It is the quick action and

overstimulation that makes my son agressive. It also makes him lose

his bowels. So I don't think I am upity when I censor those games.

The games effect him physiologically, as well as emotionally. They do

also have no educational value. And if you are calling my hypocritical

I do also limit what programs he watches. So no bugs bunny or Tom and

Jerry. I guess I am uppity in all environments. Darn my maternal

instincts in tring to raise my son in a concerned way considerate way.

You are right I guess, I should be happy with him chasing behind

everyone else because that is the true measure of happiness MOO

Guest guest

> be AWESOME, isn't it? So educative and so full of morality and a lot

of non-aggresive behavior... It would be just great... Oh, if the world

just realized how terribly aggresive is Sonic The Hedgehog... *sigh*

>

there must be some misunderstanding. It is the quick action and

overstimulation that makes my son agressive. It also makes him lose

his bowels. So I don't think I am upity when I censor those games.

The games effect him physiologically, as well as emotionally. They do

also have no educational value. And if you are calling my hypocritical

I do also limit what programs he watches. So no bugs bunny or Tom and

Jerry. I guess I am uppity in all environments. Darn my maternal

instincts in tring to raise my son in a concerned way considerate way.

You are right I guess, I should be happy with him chasing behind

everyone else because that is the true measure of happiness MOO

Guest guest

Jano Lora

by the way my son is 6 so I think I should be allowed to be the boss a

little longer

Guest guest

Jano Lora

by the way my son is 6 so I think I should be allowed to be the boss a

little longer

Guest guest

Being with games or any other electronical device you watch at low light. It is caused by the radiation of the monitors, of course. That is obvious, and is the same as reading a good old book under candle light in an attic, quite sight destroying.VISIGOTH@... escribió: I think that they are looking at it in the wrong way. It doesn't cure things like nearsightedness: if it did, I would have the best vision on the planet. Rather what it does is to

improve things like reaction times and visual perception. Baseline vision would probably not be affected at all. Video games can hurt the eyes, however, and there are warnings with the games and systems about this. I myself developed some annoying visual disturbances from years of playing games in the dark or low light. That has been improving though since I changed those habits several months ago. It can also cause eye strain, dry eyes and other things. Jano C. Lora PazIPRI Leading Teacher

Guest guest

Being with games or any other electronical device you watch at low light. It is caused by the radiation of the monitors, of course. That is obvious, and is the same as reading a good old book under candle light in an attic, quite sight destroying.VISIGOTH@... escribió: I think that they are looking at it in the wrong way. It doesn't cure things like nearsightedness: if it did, I would have the best vision on the planet. Rather what it does is to

improve things like reaction times and visual perception. Baseline vision would probably not be affected at all. Video games can hurt the eyes, however, and there are warnings with the games and systems about this. I myself developed some annoying visual disturbances from years of playing games in the dark or low light. That has been improving though since I changed those habits several months ago. It can also cause eye strain, dry eyes and other things. Jano C. Lora PazIPRI Leading Teacher

Guest guest

Manners always comes first, so I apologize in advance if my approach was a bit too harsh in sound. I just tend to get sarcastical when people, mostly not knowing (what is the common) addresses a game or something I consider I know in a level a bit more deep than other things in a way it doesn't belongs. So, putted that clear, and that there wasn't any personal feeling in between, we can head for other details. Fast paced action games are not violent per se, but, like in the case of your child, they might trigger certain problems due some reactions to the quick pacing of images. Is the same that happened when the 3D chapter of Pokémon was aired in Japan, causing a lot of epilepsy cases around. Of course, the anime and the chaper per se weren't harmfull at all (just fancy in effects). The problem was that the brightfull signals used on the animation sprang out the latent epilepsy on many watchers.

All the rest of the persons who saw it were completely unharmed at all. What I would like to state in this case is that acclarations are never of surplus, because is the lack of them what leads to missunderstandings and general bannings, when the events relate to specific cases. Now, I am not a fan of censorship at all, for I was raised in a very free minded home, and I have grown to try to teach people to think by themselves thanks to that and not to live in a TeleTubby world made out of "cultural" programs that portray a very different world from what we have as reality... BUT, the case of your child is special, and THUS I never mentioned I had any kind of objection regarding your censorship criteria due that special condition. You will notice that my critic is regard classifying Sonic as violent, not about any other thing. It can be action, and fast paced, but if Sonic is violent, then the Care Bears are

the bloodiest assasins ever. (And for others that read this, I said SONIC, not Shadow The Hedgehog, that's a different story.). So, points cleared, nobody harmed, let's go back to the playground like good kids. PD: My mother used to play DOOM I & II when she wanted a break from her research job every day. She died at 45 years old beating the PAR of the levels and achieving 100% in each level in each category. She never killed a single animal except insects in her entire life, and I, who have been around things as violent as Resident Evil or Doom itself... would preffer withstanding several amounts of suffering before hurting anybody. miminm <mnmimi@...> escribió: Jano Lora by the way my son is 6 so I think I should be allowed to be the boss a little longerJano C. Lora PazIPRI Leading Teacher