RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Intro

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Jodi and welcome. Please do read Anita's post number 5749 if you have

not already done so, it is full of useful information!

Best of luck,

Natasa

>

> Hi. I'm Jodi, I have three kids and my 7yo dd is my autistic one. I

> joined this list because I'm interested in finding out more about the

> viral aspect of autism because my daughter has never been vaccinated

> and is not metal toxic, and I suspect that there may be a viral aspect

> to her autism.

>

> I ordered Virastop and have OLE but I'm not using any of it until the

> Virastop arrives. I am really excited by the posts I've read so

> far...they're exactly the kind of information I've been looking for!

>

> jodi

> ><}}}>

>

Guest guest

Welcome to the group :)

Have a wonderful trip!

I would encourage you to

-tuck resistance bands (elastic) in your suitcase

-do daily squats (almost sit down in a chair, then stand back up)build

up to 20

-buy the BFL book, copy page 83 and follow it

-walk daily, jog a bit

-remember the eating is 80% of your progress

In 10 weeks you'll be feeling much stronger and ready for the " real "

start :)

M.

>

> hello everyone,

>

> my name is anastacia and i am 33 yrs old 2 children, married and

> living in louisiana.

Guest guest

Welcome Ally Im just on my way out the door but will write more when I get back, but Im really glad you found our site! jax moderatorAlly <4thMoon@...> wrote: Hi, just found this place and thought I would say Hi. I am 42 years old, living in Buffalo, NY and am currently on treatment. I'll be starting week 15 this coming Friday. I still have not got my 12week blood test results back and am patiently waiting though the patience is beginning to wain. Even though I have Genotype 1A things are

looking promising. I started at VL 2.2 million and dropped down to 1,443 as of the 8th week. I do not yet know how long tx will last. My Dr wants me to do an additional 48 weeks starting from the time I become undetectable which explains my desire to find out my 12th week test results. I also take Neupogen for my WBC and provigil to stay awake. I have had a wide variety of side effects but they seem to have calmed down to just constant fatigue, insomnia, and periodic depression/anger which is helped greatly by an anti-depr. So anyway, that is all about me. Thanks for accepting me into the group... Ally Jackie

Guest guest

Hi Ally Sorry I didnt get back to you yesterday, the day just got away from me.. It sounds like YOU have a GREAT doc as did I on tx.. Since you are a geno 1 and you had such a high vl ( high is over 2 mil), and since you still had a viral load at week 8, I would agree with him that you should do 48 weeks AFTER you show clear. I did the same thing and I was not supposed to clear or ever reach SVR but I did! I also had to take neupo, procrit and provigil, I still take provigil for other issues that the INF caused that make daily heavy pain meds necessary. BUT the virus is gone... and thats the important thing... I'm betting you are clear as of week 12 !! I want to hear when you get your results back so make sure you post them here for us all so we can celebrate with you! I know about the fatigue, all I can say is get used to it but remember that tx is NOT forever altho somedays it sure seems that way! It

sounds like your doc really has you covered as far as treating your side effects of tx and thats good. I think that is more important than almost anything because it allows you to be able to finish tx. How are your RBC's and hemoglobin? Are you keeping a file at home with all the info: ie, labs, biopsy etc? Its a good idea to do that.. Well welcome to our group and please feel free to email me privately if you should want too through my email listed here. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!!! jax moderatorJackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: Welcome Ally Im just on my way out the door but will write more when I get back, but Im really glad you found our site! jax moderatorAlly <4thMoon@...> wrote: Hi, just found this place and thought I would say Hi. I am 42 years old, living in Buffalo, NY and am currently on treatment. I'll be starting week 15 this coming Friday. I still have not got my 12week blood test results back and am patiently waiting though the patience is beginning to wain. Even though I have Genotype 1A things are looking promising. I started at VL 2.2 million and dropped down to 1,443 as of the 8th week. I do not yet know how long tx will last. My Dr wants me to do an additional 48 weeks starting from the time I become

undetectable which explains my desire to find out my 12th week test results. I also take Neupogen for my WBC and provigil to stay awake. I have had a wide variety of side effects but they seem to have calmed down to just constant fatigue, insomnia, and periodic depression/anger which is helped greatly by an anti-depr. So anyway, that is all about me. Thanks for accepting me into the group... Ally Jackie Jackie

Guest guest

Thanks Jackie for the welcome,

You are the first I've known, other then myself, who takes the provigil. I am so grateful for that, without it I would be sleepin all day long everyday. I was taking it only when I needed to but am thinking of taking it more frequently if not everyday as it makes a huge difference in how my day goes. Do you take it everyday and do you know if you build up a tolerance to it?

I know you'll be shocked but I know nothing of my labs outside the VL. I never really gave it a thought. I think though that I am going to ask my DR to send me a copy of my labs so, like you said, I can keep a copy. I was hoping to hear from her this week but I still haven't and it is already Thurs afternoon, I will definitely post when I get them (fingers still crossed). Oh, and no, I haven't had a biopsy yet, she recommended we wait till after tx. I'm actually a bit nervous about getting one so I can wait without any problems, lol.

Ally

On 7/13/06, Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote:

Hi Ally

Sorry I didnt get back to you yesterday, the day just got away from me..

It sounds like YOU have a GREAT doc as did I on tx.. Since you are a geno 1 and you had such a high vl ( high is over 2 mil), and since you still had a viral load at week 8, I would agree with him that you should do 48 weeks AFTER you show clear. I did the same thing and I was not supposed to clear or ever reach SVR but I did! I also had to take neupo, procrit and provigil, I still take provigil for other issues that the INF caused that make daily heavy pain meds necessary. BUT the virus is gone... and thats the important thing...

I'm betting you are clear as of week 12 !! I want to hear when you get your results back so make sure you post them here for us all so we can celebrate with you!

I know about the fatigue, all I can say is get used to it but remember that tx is NOT forever altho somedays it sure seems that way! It sounds like your doc really has you covered as far as treating your side effects of tx and thats good. I think that is more important than almost anything because it allows you to be able to finish tx. How are your RBC's and hemoglobin? Are you keeping a file at home with all the info: ie, labs, biopsy etc? Its a good idea to do that..

Well welcome to our group and please feel free to email me privately if you should want too through my email listed here. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!!!

jax

Jackie on <redjaxjm@...>

wrote:

Welcome Ally

Im just on my way out the door but will write more when I get back, but Im really glad you found our site!

jax

moderatorAlly <4thMoon@...> wrote:

Hi, just found this place and thought I would say Hi. I am 42 years old, living in Buffalo, NY and am currently on treatment. I'll be starting week 15 this coming Friday. I still have not got my 12week blood test results back and am patiently waiting though the patience is beginning to wain. Even though I have Genotype 1A things are looking promising. I started at VL 2.2 million and dropped down to 1,443 as of the 8th week. I do not yet know how long tx will last. My Dr wants me to do an additional 48 weeks starting from the time I become undetectable which explains my desire to find out my 12th week test results. I also take Neupogen for my WBC and provigil to stay awake. I have had a wide variety of side effects but they seem to have calmed down to just constant fatigue, insomnia, and periodic depression/anger which is helped greatly by an anti-depr. So anyway, that is all about me. Thanks for accepting me into the group...

Ally

Jackie Jackie

Guest guest

You are welcome Ally Yes you can build up a tolerance to Provigil so I only take it on those days that I HAVE to be up, otherwise I sleep until probably 4 or 5 pm and am back in bed by 10,, its hard to function without it and I totally understand how you feel about it,, its a God send! WHY is your doc having you wait until AFTER tx to do a biopsy???? THAT makes NO sense at all,, I mean, what if you have NO damage and you wanted to wait for better treatments that are easier to tolerate ?? This treatment can cause the virus to mutate too and so one must not just jump on board without really needing too.. and the ONLY way you can know IF YOU HAVE damage is to have the biopsy.especially if you are a genotype 1.. I had a low viral load over 23 years and I had a LOT of damage and I know several others who had VERY VERY HIGH viral loads for more than 30 years who were stage 0-1!!! There is NO way to know IF YOU SHOULD do treatment or not.without that

biopsy.. Interferon is not a benign drug, it can cause all sorts of autoimmune diseases.. I know,, I have several of them and they will NEVER leave me,, but I HAD to do treatment because I had so much damage.. Your doc waiting until after treatment to do the biopsy is like doing the pregnancy test after you have delivered the baby... hmmmm I know you are scared by the biopsy,, I was terrified and looked for every and any way out of it,, but I did have it and it was a piece of cake. The doc gave me what is called "conscious sedation" so I was able to follow commands because when they take the sliver of liver, you have to hold your breath,, but I dont remember it at all,, my husband was allowed to be present and he heard me say 'ouch' softly and that was it,, I would demand conscious sedation again if I ever had to have another one... well stay in touch hon,, jaxAlly <4thMoon@...> wrote: Thanks Jackie for the welcome, You are the first I've known, other then myself, who takes the provigil. I am so grateful for that, without it I would be sleepin all day long everyday. I was taking it only when I needed to but am thinking of taking it more frequently if not everyday as it makes a huge difference in how my day goes. Do you take it everyday and do you know if you build up a tolerance to it? I know you'll be shocked but I know nothing of my labs outside the VL. I never really gave it a thought. I think

though that I am going to ask my DR to send me a copy of my labs so, like you said, I can keep a copy. I was hoping to hear from her this week but I still haven't and it is already Thurs afternoon, I will definitely post when I get them (fingers still crossed). Oh, and no, I haven't had a biopsy yet, she recommended we wait till after tx. I'm actually a bit nervous about getting one so I can wait without any problems, lol. Ally On 7/13/06, Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: Hi Ally Sorry I didnt get back to you yesterday, the day just got away from me.. It sounds like YOU have a GREAT doc as did I on tx.. Since you are a geno 1

and you had such a high vl ( high is over 2 mil), and since you still had a viral load at week 8, I would agree with him that you should do 48 weeks AFTER you show clear. I did the same thing and I was not supposed to clear or ever reach SVR but I did! I also had to take neupo, procrit and provigil, I still take provigil for other issues that the INF caused that make daily heavy pain meds necessary. BUT the virus is gone... and thats the important thing... I'm betting you are clear as of week 12 !! I want to hear when you get your results back so make sure you post them here for us all so we can celebrate with you! I know about the fatigue, all I can say is get used to it but remember that tx is NOT forever altho somedays it sure seems that way! It sounds like your doc really has you covered as far as treating your side effects of tx and thats good. I think that is more important than almost anything because it allows you to be able to

finish tx. How are your RBC's and hemoglobin? Are you keeping a file at home with all the info: ie, labs, biopsy etc? Its a good idea to do that.. Well welcome to our group and please feel free to email me privately if you should want too through my email listed here. Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!!! jax moderator Jackie on <redjaxjm@...> wrote: Welcome Ally Im just on my way out the door but will write more when I get back, but Im really glad you found our site! jax moderatorAlly <4thMoon@...> wrote: Hi, just found this place and thought I would say Hi. I am 42 years old, living in Buffalo, NY and am currently on treatment. I'll be starting week 15 this coming Friday. I still have not got my 12week blood test results back and am patiently waiting though the patience is beginning to wain. Even though I have Genotype 1A things are looking promising. I started at VL 2.2 million and dropped down to 1,443 as of the 8th week. I do not yet know how long tx will last. My Dr wants me to do an additional 48 weeks starting from the time I become undetectable which explains my desire to find out my 12th week test results. I also take Neupogen for my WBC and provigil to stay awake. I have had a wide variety of side effects but they seem to have calmed down to just constant fatigue, insomnia, and periodic depression/anger which is helped greatly by an

anti-depr. So anyway, that is all about me. Thanks for accepting me into the group... Ally Jackie Jackie Jackie

Guest guest

I think the biopsy is a good idea. It wasn't as bad as interferon injections every week are in my opinion. If the side effects are horrible for you and your liver hasn't been very compromised by the Hep C yet i.e., no fibrosis or cirrhosis (sp) I should really learn to spell that word now! then I would probably consider alternate routes. My biopsy showed a stage 2 to 3 fibrosis and bridging if that sounds about right. Anyway I'm seriously hoping this lovely treatment just gets rid of the virus and reverses the liver damage. You can do a biopsy - its a breeze really unless your doctor doesn't suggest it then don't worry. How are the work outs going - still going to the gym I hope! Peace & Love - Abby> >> > Hi, just found this place and thought I would say Hi. I am 42 years old,> > living in Buffalo, NY and am currently on treatment. I'll be starting week> > 15 this coming Friday. I still have not got my 12week blood test results> > back and am patiently waiting though the patience is beginning to wain. Even> > though I have Genotype 1A things are looking promising. I started at VL> > 2.2 million and dropped down to 1,443 as of the 8th week. I do not yet> > know how long tx will last. My Dr wants me to do an additional 48 weeks> > starting from the time I become undetectable which explains my desire to> > find out my 12th week test results. I also take Neupogen for my WBC and> > provigil to stay awake. I have had a wide variety of side effects but they> > seem to have calmed down to just constant fatigue, insomnia, and periodic> > depression/anger which is helped greatly by an anti-depr. So anyway, that is> > all about me. Thanks for accepting me into the group...> >> > Ally> >> >> >> >> > Jackie> >> >> >> >> > Jackie> >> > > >>

Guest guest

Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

" OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

>

> Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> behaviors will come back, I am sure.

>

> Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> endurance.

>

> I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

>

> Sharon

>

>

Guest guest

Thanks for your quick reply, Eileen. I have read about the coorelation between

OCD and sensory, I agree with it. I can see how it could be misdx as ADD. I

have just started to contact the school where dd will attend and started giving

them the heads up on her situation. I have a friend whose dd has sensory issues

and is a year ahead of my dd at the same school, so she has been a great help in

suggesting things to ask for and who to talk to. Abby used to avoid the

bathroom at all costs (even wetting her pants while dancing around in a circle

holding herself saying " NO I DONT have to go potty! " ). For her, it was the

germs, the length of time it takes, the sounds, even the feel of actually going.

She is MUCH better now, but still doesnt like to go and usually has to be told

" YES you do need to go more than once a day " . But, she now will crawl on the

floor of a public restroom (something I still find gross, but that is SOOO HUGE

for her and her germ issues). I am hoping to have given her school enough info

about her, and hoping they will do some research if they havent dealt with an

OCD child in the past, that there wont be issues with the staff. So far they

seem very willing to do whatever is needed to help her be successful in school.

We had Abby tested for strep at the beginning of this and she is not a carrier.

It was TORTURE to get blood drawn from her - she has doc anxiety and sensory

issues, so holding her down while a nurse sticks a needle in her wasnt fun, and

of course they couldnt find a vein right away, so it took a few tries. To try

to comfort her, I told her a lot of people have had blood drawn, most grown ups

have, I had it a lot while pg. Now she doesnt want to ever be a grown up or a

mom because she doesnt want to have to have blood drawn. This was in Dec and

she STILL talks about not being a grown up or a mom because of it.

Sharon

Re: intro

Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

" OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

>

> Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> behaviors will come back, I am sure.

>

> Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> endurance.

>

> I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

>

> Sharon

>

>

Guest guest

LOL!! At least we can laugh right? - I'm still on the computer doing

paperwork etc so I'm addicted and had to write back - My dd issue is

more of the vaginal wetness issue than bathroom germs but still not

good to be avoiding it - I can SO relate to the needle thing my DH

found her a trick - she's bright and has always accepted things if they

were explained - so he told her if you don't look your brain won't

process it right away so we have her sit on our lap and hold her face

towards us and occupy her by counting and it's usually done by 30 -

been working wonders except I don't want to promote counting as that

seems to be a bit OCD lately - I also felt a connection to you because

I used that " surgeon hands " to explain her to a lot of people - talk

soon Eileen

> Thanks for your quick reply, Eileen. I have read about the

> coorelation between OCD and sensory, I agree with it. I can see how

> it could be misdx as ADD. I have just started to contact the school

> where dd will attend and started giving them the heads up on her

> situation. I have a friend whose dd has sensory issues and is a year

> ahead of my dd at the same school, so she has been a great help in

> suggesting things to ask for and who to talk to. Abby used to avoid

> the bathroom at all costs (even wetting her pants while dancing

> around in a circle holding herself saying " NO I DONT have to go

> potty! " ). For her, it was the germs, the length of time it takes,

> the sounds, even the feel of actually going. She is MUCH better now,

> but still doesnt like to go and usually has to be told " YES you do

> need to go more than once a day " . But, she now will crawl on the

> floor of a public restroom (something I still find gross, but that is

> SOOO HUGE for her and her germ issues). I am hoping to have given

> her school enough info about her, and hoping they will do some

> research if they havent dealt with an OCD child in the past, that

> there wont be issues with the staff. So far they seem very willing

> to do whatever is needed to help her be successful in school. We had

> Abby tested for strep at the beginning of this and she is not a

> carrier. It was TORTURE to get blood drawn from her - she has doc

> anxiety and sensory issues, so holding her down while a nurse sticks

> a needle in her wasnt fun, and of course they couldnt find a vein

> right away, so it took a few tries. To try to comfort her, I told

> her a lot of people have had blood drawn, most grown ups have, I had

> it a lot while pg. Now she doesnt want to ever be a grown up or a

> mom because she doesnt want to have to have blood drawn. This was in

> Dec and she STILL talks about not being a grown up or a mom because

> of it.

> Sharon

> Re: intro

>

>

> Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

>

> Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

>

> > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> >

> > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> >

> > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > endurance.

> >

> > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> >

> > Sharon

> >

> >

Guest guest

Sharon - do you wonder if the counting etc goes on in her head and we

don't know it sometimes?? - She actually told me when she's playing etc

it doesn't bug her so it makes me wonder - I mean if the thoughts are

are supposed to be intrusive how can she ignore at school etc or be

occupied and not have problems - she does, but how??? Also does anyone

know anything about increased sypmtoms and eczema/vaginal rashes

flaring up at the same time??? seem to go hand in hand here??

> Funny! Yep, she did the surgeon hand a lot, no more, though!! Horray!

> She has done counting a lot, too. That was one of the first signs,

> other than the worrying about everything. It was like she HAD to

> count, she couldnt stop herself from doing it. If we went by rows of

> things, or saw a bunch of similar items, she would have to count and

> touch them all. That one is gone, too, but she occasionally counts

> again.

> Sharon

> >

> >

> > Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> > yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> > everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> > this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> > usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> > wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> > it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> > in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> > little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> > helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> > integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> > could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> > concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> > bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> > summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> > in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> > the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> > tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> > overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> > " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> > YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> > school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> > to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> > someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> > Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> > takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> > results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> > when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> > have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> > numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> > throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> > and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> > I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> > where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> > talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> > now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> >

> > Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> >

> > > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> > >

> > > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> > >

> > > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > > endurance.

> > >

> > > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> > >

> > > Sharon

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

Oh, wow, yes, she has eczema and yeast infections and irritations and they DO

get worse at the same time as symptoms! I never connected them before! What is

the connection? Just the body being " off " ?

Yes, I wonder about what is going on in her head and how it will effect her in

school. I guess we will find out.

Does anyone have any tips for school? How to help them get through, what school

should know, etc?

Sharon

> >

> >

> > Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> > yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> > everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> > this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> > usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> > wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> > it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> > in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> > little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> > helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> > integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> > could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> > concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> > bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> > summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> > in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> > the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> > tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> > overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> > " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> > YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> > school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> > to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> > someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> > Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> > takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> > results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> > when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> > have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> > numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> > throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> > and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> > I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> > where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> > talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> > now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> >

> > Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> >

> > > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> > >

> > > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> > >

> > > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > > endurance.

> > >

> > > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> > >

> > > Sharon

> > >

> > >

Guest guest

sharon - I have no idea of what the connection is or means I just

happened to be connecting the puzzle pieces - I'm going to ask Dr.

Chansky on here - A specialist mentioned to me that she read about it

once or saw 1 study or something but hey maybe we're onto something

that can help - we can only hope!

> Oh, wow, yes, she has eczema and yeast infections and irritations and

> they DO get worse at the same time as symptoms! I never connected

> them before! What is the connection? Just the body being " off " ?

>

> Yes, I wonder about what is going on in her head and how it will

> effect her in school. I guess we will find out.

>

> Does anyone have any tips for school? How to help them get through,

> what school should know, etc?

>

> Sharon

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> > > yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> > > everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> > > this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> > > usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> > > wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> > > it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> > > in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> > > little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> > > helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> > > integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> > > could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> > > concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> > > bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> > > summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> > > in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> > > the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> > > tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> > > overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> > > " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> > > YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> > > school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> > > to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> > > someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> > > Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> > > takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> > > results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> > > when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> > > have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> > > numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> > > throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> > > and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> > > I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> > > where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> > > talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> > > now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> > >

> > > Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> > >

> > > > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > > > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > > > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > > > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > > > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> > > >

> > > > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > > > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > > > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > > > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > > > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > > > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > > > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > > > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > > > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > > > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > > > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > > > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > > > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > > > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > > > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> > > >

> > > > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > > > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > > > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > > > endurance.

> > > >

> > > > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > > > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > > > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> > > >

> > > > Sharon

> > > >

> > > >

Guest guest

Hi Sharon,

A late " welcome " to the group!

I'm glad Abby is doing so well now, and therapy worked well! Maybe

she needs to talk to my 17 yr old son about how therapy helps!

, my OCDer, began having OC problems in 6th grade. Where we

live, couldn't find a therapist. (he had lots of

compulsions/rituals) So we managed somehow on our own with the help

of this great group, lots of reading/research, etc. Had some pretty

calm times too, but his OCD popped back up this year with " bad

thoughts " (something new!) and deals with religion/scrupulosity type

issues. I've talked to him about looking around again for a

therapist (maybe we'll get lucky!) but he isn't motivated. His OCD

has improved but is still constantly *there*. SIGH, we'll see how

things go these next months; at least there has been improvement on

his/our own. Actually with the issues this time around, talking to

some ministers who understand mental health (OCD) issues seems to

have helped.

When was Abby's age he asked lots of reassurance questions.

I didn't realize that could be a part of OCD way back then. I knew

in 3rd grade I noted his tracing over letters again & again and

thought, " hmmm...a bit of OCD there... " but shrugged it off. HA!

Also in 6th grade when OCD " arrived " 's handwriting changed.

So - a neurologist prescribed occupational therapy for him; he had an

awkward pencil grip the neuro wanted the OT to change. Well, no

change in the pencil grip, but the OT helped with everything else and

the writing too. also had sensory issues since a young age,

and OT helped even in 6th grade! His fine/gross motor skills were

helped too, he had been delayed there and those skills were awkward

some and a bit clumsy; maybe " didn't come naturally " is a better way

to say it! They also helped his endurance overall, including with

writing.

He had food texture problems also; clothing was OK though. Actually,

his twin (not identical) has had some of the clothing issues but

we've managed thru them (sock seams, the " shivers " from certain

materials...).

Well I have rambled but wanted to say " Hi! " and welcome!

>

> Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby

has OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

>

Guest guest

My son has skin issues too, when his ocd and tics are at their worst. I assumed

they were all indications of heightened anxiety.

Interesting.

kimz

> > >

> > >

> > > Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> > > yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> > > everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> > > this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> > > usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> > > wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> > > it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> > > in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> > > little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> > > helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> > > integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> > > could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> > > concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> > > bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> > > summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> > > in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> > > the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> > > tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> > > overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> > > " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> > > YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> > > school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> > > to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> > > someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> > > Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> > > takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> > > results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> > > when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> > > have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> > > numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> > > throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> > > and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> > > I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> > > where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> > > talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> > > now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> > >

> > > Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> > >

> > > > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > > > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > > > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > > > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > > > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> > > >

> > > > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > > > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > > > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > > > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > > > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > > > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > > > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > > > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > > > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > > > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > > > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > > > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > > > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > > > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > > > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> > > >

> > > > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > > > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > > > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > > > endurance.

> > > >

> > > > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > > > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > > > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> > > >

> > > > Sharon

> > > >

> > > >

Guest guest

Ben also has sensory issues, I assumed from being 2 months premature. We saw an

OT for motor skill delays. She ended up telling me he had sensory integration

issues, and ADHD, no help on the motor skill issues, but she was ready with the

multiple diagnosis. At the time we thought all was well. About the sock issue, I

buy his socks in the girls department, no bumpy seams, thinner socks. He doesn't

know it though, of course. He also has a fine bumpy rash on his arms much of

the time. Could that be eczema? Interesting.

>From: Sympatico Mail <k.zarzour@...>

>Date: 2006/07/17 Mon PM 07:54:15 CDT

>

>Subject: Re: intro

>

>My son has skin issues too, when his ocd and tics are at their worst. I assumed

they were all indications of heightened anxiety.

>Interesting.

>kimz

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Hi sharon - I'm Eileen- New here too! -My first time posting was

> > > > yesterday I too am so THRILLED to have found a place to discuss

> > > > everything - never thought to look on the internet for a place like

> > > > this - I'm not sure of the woman's name but someone wrote who just

> > > > usually reads it sounds like - and just to know that reading what I

> > > > wrote moved her to write (on top of all the help I'm sure I'll get )

> > > > it's just PRICELESS!!! Sharon I am an OT ass't by trait - used to work

> > > > in daycare years ago - and haven't worked in 7 years as I'm home with 4

> > > > little ones - but I did just speak to an OT whose dd has OCD and was SO

> > > > helpful - anyway she believes there is a connection with sensory

> > > > integration and OCD and it does make sense - it even seems like it

> > > > could appear as ADD in a classroom setting because how can they

> > > > concentrate with OCD thoughts in their head - or my dd avoiding the

> > > > bathroom all day there - she seems so much more relaxed now that it's

> > > > summer - not that OCD isn't sneaking in here and there but the torture

> > > > in the classroom is too much to think about - she never complained -

> > > > the teacher didn't say much - the school psychologist observed her and

> > > > tried telling me she saw some distractability maybe but no

> > > > overcorrecting that day (as the teacher had seen) and dared to tell me

> > > > " OCD is rare in kids and that she saw no signs of it) - FRUSTRATING -

> > > > YES!!! anyway - I just want to gain so much more knowledge before

> > > > school starts as the next teacher contacted me and is already willing

> > > > to help - but I don't know what to tell her - I'm confused myself

> > > > someone had asked about the strep titers too again I'm learning but

> > > > Tamara's book says to have them tested and I know someone whose dd

> > > > takes antibiotics regularly when getting sick and has had great OCD

> > > > results -she's also in therapy though so I don't know - how you tell or

> > > > when you should treat??? I'm not a fan of drugs and my Ped who doesn't

> > > > have a clue about the link either says she doesn't like to treat

> > > > numbers with no symptoms but the symptoms here aren't going to be sore

> > > > throat per se - it will be an increase in OCD syptoms - I'm babbling

> > > > and probably confusing you - but if all you have to pay is the co-pay

> > > > I'd ask for the ASO test and the DNAase blood tests - just to see

> > > > where they're at - hope that helps a bit - sorry I'm a big mouth!

> > > > talk to you all soon - hang in :-) keep praying-and we have each other

> > > > now I think that's a relief in and of itself :-)

> > > >

> > > > Quoting kidsnpets <sdonovan1@...>:

> > > >

> > > > > Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby has

> > > > > OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

> > > > > knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

> > > > > likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

> > > > > It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

> > > > >

> > > > > Abby was dx in December. She was having severe anxiety and her OCD

> > > > > comes out as needing reassurance. She was constantly asking if

> > > > > things are ok. Her biggest issue was with germs. At her worst, she

> > > > > would wake up during the night needing to wash her hands. After

> > > > > washing them (over and over to be sure they were clean enough) she

> > > > > would walk back to her room with her hands held up in front of her

> > > > > (like a surgeon on the way to surgery) to be sure they didnt touch

> > > > > anything. She would lay down with her hands held up. We started

> > > > > therapy in Jan and she has done wonderfully. I never imagined she

> > > > > would do so well so quickly. She still has some issues with OCD and

> > > > > anxiety, but much more managable. She has some reacurrances during

> > > > > times of stress for her, but gets over them pretty quickly. She is

> > > > > doing pretty well right now, but starts Kindergarten in Sept. I am

> > > > > expecting it to take awhile for her to adjust and some of her

> > > > > behaviors will come back, I am sure.

> > > > >

> > > > > Abby also has Sensory Intergration Disfunction. Most of her issues

> > > > > relate to food or clothing. She went through a feeding program and

> > > > > OT and both helped wonderfully. She also has low muscle tone and low

> > > > > endurance.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am glad to be here, where people really do understand. I am

> > > > > married, besides Abby we have a 3 yo dd (some sensory issues) and a

> > > > > 16 yo ds (ADD). We live in MN and I have a home daycare.

> > > > >

> > > > > Sharon

> > > > >

> > > > >

Guest guest

I see a lot of similarities with my dd. I am glad we realized this at such a

young age. Looking back, I see signs even earlier, but didnt realize it.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

A late " welcome " to the group!

I'm glad Abby is doing so well now, and therapy worked well! Maybe

she needs to talk to my 17 yr old son about how therapy helps!

, my OCDer, began having OC problems in 6th grade. Where we

live, couldn't find a therapist. (he had lots of

compulsions/rituals) So we managed somehow on our own with the help

of this great group, lots of reading/research, etc. Had some pretty

calm times too, but his OCD popped back up this year with " bad

thoughts " (something new!) and deals with religion/scrupulosity type

issues. I've talked to him about looking around again for a

therapist (maybe we'll get lucky!) but he isn't motivated. His OCD

has improved but is still constantly *there*. SIGH, we'll see how

things go these next months; at least there has been improvement on

his/our own. Actually with the issues this time around, talking to

some ministers who understand mental health (OCD) issues seems to

have helped.

When was Abby's age he asked lots of reassurance questions.

I didn't realize that could be a part of OCD way back then. I knew

in 3rd grade I noted his tracing over letters again & again and

thought, " hmmm...a bit of OCD there... " but shrugged it off. HA!

Also in 6th grade when OCD " arrived " 's handwriting changed.

So - a neurologist prescribed occupational therapy for him; he had an

awkward pencil grip the neuro wanted the OT to change. Well, no

change in the pencil grip, but the OT helped with everything else and

the writing too. also had sensory issues since a young age,

and OT helped even in 6th grade! His fine/gross motor skills were

helped too, he had been delayed there and those skills were awkward

some and a bit clumsy; maybe " didn't come naturally " is a better way

to say it! They also helped his endurance overall, including with

writing.

He had food texture problems also; clothing was OK though. Actually,

his twin (not identical) has had some of the clothing issues but

we've managed thru them (sock seams, the " shivers " from certain

materials...).

Well I have rambled but wanted to say " Hi! " and welcome!

>

> Hi, I am new to the group. My name is Sharon and my 5 yo dd Abby

has OCD and anxiety. I am tearing up reading some of these posts,

knowing we are not alone. (Abby wears underwear during the day, but

likes to sleep naked. She also has to have her hair just perfect.

It is comforting to read other people having the same issues!)

>

Guest guest

Liz,

Your son sounds a lot like my son who is 9. We just got the diagnoses after

working with my son for 6 months over his fear of storms. My husbands family

has many of these traits of fear and anxiety and I use to kind of joke that

they were OCD because they obsess on everything, even the fun things. We had

gone to therapy last fall to try and help my son with his fear of storms.

Went through full recovery in like 4 sessions, which was amazing to me. Did

great through the winter and then his fear of storms returned worse with 4

other fears. What triggered my psychologist to think he had OCD was the way

these fears kept coming back around with others. I was struggling with this

diagnoses thinking it was just GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) which in

some ways fit the profile better. The doctor and I read over and over the

exact wording in his Dr. book about OCD to see if it fit my son.

Interestingly, one of the words quoted was " apprehensive expectations "

meaning fearful of the future, act of the expecting. When he read the 6

things listed that you must have to have OCD my son answered yes to 5 out of

6. I keep coming back with doubt that he really has OCD because he doesn't

seem to have the compulsions the way you hear from many others. The doctor

explained that you don't have to have compulsions and he could get some of

those later.

My son like yours has these terrible tantrams where he just gets stuck.

Someone described it to me like a tire getting stuck in the mud and

spinning. When I look back on my son the last 6 years he has always been

extremely hard to discipline, very inflexable and rigid and he does get

stuck all the time. When he started to play Pokemon cards he would play for

hours and days and not ever want to do anything else. His friends would get

so bored and tired of playing that they would stop playing with him and he

still couldn't shake it off.

We had a couple of things recently that sounded like your son. We went to a

restaurant and he ordered chicken strips to eat. After we sat down he

realized that this restaurant had cheese sticks which is what he really

wanted and liked best. Wanted to change order but it was too late. He

started having the most incredible fit in the restaurant, screeming like a

two year old. He could not shake it off, nothing we said or did made a

difference. Everyone around us was looking at us like do something about

this what a spoiled brat. Our whole dinner was a disaster, my poor 17 year

old teen was mortified. We finally gave up and dashed out of the restaurant

as fast as possible. My OCD son ended up refusing to eat anything that night

and went to bed without dinner. He was stuck!

We had another situation at a airport where we had gotten a rental car and

they told us to pick one out. My son wanted the blue one which was not one

available and could not let it go. We were in Arizona, 105 degrees in a

parking garage, ready to start a fun vacation. My son screemed for 20

minutes, would not get in the car, would not move from the blue car to the

white car. Once again he was stuck! His screems were soo loud due to being

in a parking garage, we were all burning up there like being in a oven. We

are standing there with all of our luggage and stuff. Finally my husband

loaded the white car up, we got in and acted like we were going to leave

him. My son ran after us, my husband grabbed him while he was screaming at

the top of his lungs and forced him in the car. Ugg!! What a way to start

vacation. And do you know when we had to check out they told us that we had

picked the wrong car and it wasn't available. My husband about died, they

had no clue as to what it took to get my son in this car. They brought us

another car and had to transfer all of our stuff with my son to the new one.

My son also like yours is highly gifted/ADD, extremely creative and

imagitative which I think is what is really creating all his fears. My son

does not have rituals or compusions that I know of. He isn't the typical

hand washer, hoarder, checker, etc. He just seems to get stuck all the time.

What I have read also is that there might be a lot more going on in his mind

then we even know. He could have a compulsion in his mind like praying over

and over that we don't even know about.

I really wish someone would write a book just about the obsessions and not

the compulsions. Good luck on your track of trying to figure this all out,

it can drive mom crazy to know the exact truth.

DP

_____

[mailto: ] On Behalf Of boblizjack@...

Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2006 10:48 PM

Subject: intro

Hi all-

I just found/joined this site and have been reading with interest. I am

still not sure if we completely 'belong' here, but nowhere else seems to fit

either ... I welcome any input and sharing with others going through similar

things!

My 8 year old son has had issues (!) for a couple of years now, and we got

formal testing this summer, which confirmed he has " features " of OCD, among

other things. (including likely mood disorder, major sensory issues, and a

highly gifted/LD profile)

His biggest symptom is inflexibility/explosiveness (we know Ross Greene's

book from cover to cover), plus getting 'stuck' as we call it ... which

seems to

be the feature of OCD, as the doc attributes it. He has totally rigid

thinking, and gets locked on ideas - can't function til whatever it is is

done/etc. to his satisfaction. (often unreasonable or impossible - ugh!)

He's not into rituals or some of the typical OCD headliners ... his stuff is

more subtle, and debatable is it's in fact OCD? It seems to be more a

problem of obsessive thinking. Everyday examples abound - a typical one is

if he

can't find some obscure thing. The other night, for example, he out of the

blue decided he needed to find a story he'd written about 6 months ago ..

for a

summer writing assignment he wanted to continue the story, and he *had* to

find the original story to continue. Started out casually, we helped him

look

initially, and things escalated as it became apparent it was not to be

found. He tantrumed and was overcome with anxiety - he HAD to have it,

couldn't

think of anything else, would sit in one spot til it was found, we must drop

everything and continue to look for him ... he was virtually bouncing off

the

walls with stress. No amount of reassurance or ideas about how to move on

were accepted (let's start a sequel to the story ... we can add a transition

chapter when we do find it ... Daddy lost his cell phone recently and it

turned

up out of the blue .... trying to shift gears and find a distraction, all to

no avail). For the record the story has still not been found, and he still

persists on asking me throughout the day if I've found it, etc. These kind

of examples pop up multiple times a day.

Anyway - I could ramble on and on, but I guess I am curious about how

specifically your kids fit the profile of the OCD diagnosis? Is something as

fringe as what my son struggles with perhaps truly OCD, or more likely a

facet of

his other issues? Obviously no one is here to diagnose/etc - just mostly

curious about the various ways OCD can present. He doesn't fit the exact

criteria I find in searching/reading online.

Currently my son has started some new meds (we'd tried Zoloft - relatively

low dosage, compared to what I see referred to here - for a period last year

for his 'anxiety' diagnosis at the time - didn't see improvement) ... he is

now taking .5 mg Risperdal (for the mood disorder, apparently) and 5 mg of

Lexapro for some other symptoms, including some of the obsessive thinking.

Not

quite a month since starting, and improvement is hard to measure --

sometimes

he seems more 'himself' and easier to deal with, then we encounter an

episode

like from the past and it seems hopeless. Ugh.

I look forward to learning from everyone here - thanks for bearing with me,

this is so overwhelming. :o/

Liz

dh Bob

mom to Jack (8), (4), and Kate (2)

Guest guest

Hi Liz,

I don't think any of us fit into an EXACT pattern. All of our kids are the

same in a way, and different in others. My 9 yr old dd sounds very much like

your son. she has ocd as well as many other anxiety disorders, sensory issues,

and bipolar. She also is very intelligent.( That's how they can manipulate

us-lol!)

I have the Explosive Child also, and I use the basket method for my dd also.

Welcome to the group!

Hugs

Judy

mom to Brittany-11-NT -going into 6th gr-high honor student

-Brittany's twin-3-29-95--4-7-95

-9-bp,ocd,odd, 50 mg seroquel 75mg trazadone 50mg zoloft going into reg

5th gr class-504plan

iel 4-ocd, speech problem-going into kindergarten-speech therapy, IEP

5.0mg prozac. .25mg risperdal

Guest guest

Hi Liz - Welcome to the group! Have you looked into Asperger

Syndrome at all? A good place to read is the message boards at

OASIS: http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/ I'd really want this

ruled out - based on your description.

Khris

>

> Hi all-

>

> I just found/joined this site and have been reading with interest.

I am

> still not sure if we completely 'belong' here, but nowhere else

seems to fit

> either ... I welcome any input and sharing with others going

through similar

> things!

>

> My 8 year old son has had issues (!) for a couple of years now, and

we got

> formal testing this summer, which confirmed he has " features " of

OCD, among

> other things. (including likely mood disorder, major sensory

issues, and a

> highly gifted/LD profile)

>

> His biggest symptom is inflexibility/explosiveness (we know Ross

Greene's

> book from cover to cover), plus getting 'stuck' as we call it ...

which seems to

> be the feature of OCD, as the doc attributes it. He has totally

rigid

> thinking, and gets locked on ideas - can't function til whatever it

is is

> done/etc. to his satisfaction. (often unreasonable or impossible -

ugh!)

>

> He's not into rituals or some of the typical OCD headliners ... his

stuff is

> more subtle, and debatable is it's in fact OCD? It seems to be

more a

> problem of obsessive thinking. Everyday examples abound - a typical

one is if he

> can't find some obscure thing. The other night, for example, he

out of the

> blue decided he needed to find a story he'd written about 6 months

ago .. for a

> summer writing assignment he wanted to continue the story, and he

*had* to

> find the original story to continue. Started out casually, we

helped him look

> initially, and things escalated as it became apparent it was not to

be

> found. He tantrumed and was overcome with anxiety - he HAD to have

it, couldn't

> think of anything else, would sit in one spot til it was found, we

must drop

> everything and continue to look for him ... he was virtually

bouncing off the

> walls with stress. No amount of reassurance or ideas about how to

move on

> were accepted (let's start a sequel to the story ... we can add a

transition

> chapter when we do find it ... Daddy lost his cell phone recently

and it turned

> up out of the blue .... trying to shift gears and find a

distraction, all to

> no avail). For the record the story has still not been found, and

he still

> persists on asking me throughout the day if I've found it, etc.

These kind

> of examples pop up multiple times a day.

>

> Anyway - I could ramble on and on, but I guess I am curious about

how

> specifically your kids fit the profile of the OCD diagnosis? Is

something as

> fringe as what my son struggles with perhaps truly OCD, or more

likely a facet of

> his other issues? Obviously no one is here to diagnose/etc - just

mostly

> curious about the various ways OCD can present. He doesn't fit

the exact

> criteria I find in searching/reading online.

> Currently my son has started some new meds (we'd tried Zoloft -

relatively

> low dosage, compared to what I see referred to here - for a period

last year

> for his 'anxiety' diagnosis at the time - didn't see

improvement) ... he is

> now taking .5 mg Risperdal (for the mood disorder, apparently) and

5 mg of

> Lexapro for some other symptoms, including some of the obsessive

thinking. Not

> quite a month since starting, and improvement is hard to measure --

sometimes

> he seems more 'himself' and easier to deal with, then we encounter

an episode

> like from the past and it seems hopeless. Ugh.

>

> I look forward to learning from everyone here - thanks for bearing

with me,

> this is so overwhelming. :o/

>

> Liz

> dh Bob

> mom to Jack (8), (4), and Kate (2)

>

>

>

Guest guest

welcome Liz this is a great place you'll find!!

Eileen

Quoting jchabot <jchabot@...>:

> Hi Liz,

> I don't think any of us fit into an EXACT pattern. All of our kids

> are the same in a way, and different in others. My 9 yr old dd sounds

> very much like your son. she has ocd as well as many other anxiety

> disorders, sensory issues, and bipolar. She also is very

> intelligent.( That's how they can manipulate us-lol!)

> I have the Explosive Child also, and I use the basket method for my

> dd also.

> Welcome to the group!

> Hugs

>

>

>

>

>

> Judy

> mom to Brittany-11-NT -going into 6th gr-high honor student

> -Brittany's twin-3-29-95--4-7-95

> -9-bp,ocd,odd, 50 mg seroquel 75mg trazadone 50mg zoloft

> going into reg 5th gr class-504plan

> iel 4-ocd, speech problem-going into kindergarten-speech

> therapy, IEP 5.0mg prozac. .25mg risperdal

>

>

Guest guest

funny you mention the intelligent thing - I think everyone on here has

said that - and my dh for one - believes that OCD is smart kids

thinking too much - hearing something and running with it etc????

Eileen

Quoting jchabot <jchabot@...>:

> Hi Liz,

> I don't think any of us fit into an EXACT pattern. All of our kids

> are the same in a way, and different in others. My 9 yr old dd sounds

> very much like your son. she has ocd as well as many other anxiety

> disorders, sensory issues, and bipolar. She also is very

> intelligent.( That's how they can manipulate us-lol!)

> I have the Explosive Child also, and I use the basket method for my

> dd also.

> Welcome to the group!

> Hugs

>

>

>

>

>

> Judy

> mom to Brittany-11-NT -going into 6th gr-high honor student

> -Brittany's twin-3-29-95--4-7-95

> -9-bp,ocd,odd, 50 mg seroquel 75mg trazadone 50mg zoloft

> going into reg 5th gr class-504plan

> iel 4-ocd, speech problem-going into kindergarten-speech

> therapy, IEP 5.0mg prozac. .25mg risperdal

>

>

Guest guest

Liz - I'm sure many here do fit many things - for us it never " clicked "

or became an issue until dd couldn't stop hand washing then I thought

back and a lot seemed to fit - so it's so tough to tell - I think a lot

of us on here are still confused - hang in there!

eileen

Quoting boblizjack@...:

> Hi all-

>

> I just found/joined this site and have been reading with interest. I am

> still not sure if we completely 'belong' here, but nowhere else seems to fit

> either ... I welcome any input and sharing with others going through similar

> things!

>

> My 8 year old son has had issues (!) for a couple of years now, and we got

> formal testing this summer, which confirmed he has " features " of OCD, among

> other things. (including likely mood disorder, major sensory issues, and a

> highly gifted/LD profile)

>

> His biggest symptom is inflexibility/explosiveness (we know Ross Greene's

> book from cover to cover), plus getting 'stuck' as we call it ...

> which seems to

> be the feature of OCD, as the doc attributes it. He has totally rigid

> thinking, and gets locked on ideas - can't function til whatever it is is

> done/etc. to his satisfaction. (often unreasonable or impossible - ugh!)

>

> He's not into rituals or some of the typical OCD headliners ... his stuff is

> more subtle, and debatable is it's in fact OCD? It seems to be more a

> problem of obsessive thinking. Everyday examples abound - a typical

> one is if he

> can't find some obscure thing. The other night, for example, he out of the

> blue decided he needed to find a story he'd written about 6 months

> ago .. for a

> summer writing assignment he wanted to continue the story, and he *had* to

> find the original story to continue. Started out casually, we

> helped him look

> initially, and things escalated as it became apparent it was not to be

> found. He tantrumed and was overcome with anxiety - he HAD to have

> it, couldn't

> think of anything else, would sit in one spot til it was found, we must drop

> everything and continue to look for him ... he was virtually bouncing

> off the

> walls with stress. No amount of reassurance or ideas about how to move on

> were accepted (let's start a sequel to the story ... we can add a transition

> chapter when we do find it ... Daddy lost his cell phone recently and

> it turned

> up out of the blue .... trying to shift gears and find a distraction, all to

> no avail). For the record the story has still not been found, and he still

> persists on asking me throughout the day if I've found it, etc. These kind

> of examples pop up multiple times a day.

>

> Anyway - I could ramble on and on, but I guess I am curious about how

> specifically your kids fit the profile of the OCD diagnosis? Is

> something as

> fringe as what my son struggles with perhaps truly OCD, or more

> likely a facet of

> his other issues? Obviously no one is here to diagnose/etc - just mostly

> curious about the various ways OCD can present. He doesn't fit the exact

> criteria I find in searching/reading online.

> Currently my son has started some new meds (we'd tried Zoloft - relatively

> low dosage, compared to what I see referred to here - for a period last year

> for his 'anxiety' diagnosis at the time - didn't see improvement) ... he is

> now taking .5 mg Risperdal (for the mood disorder, apparently) and 5 mg of

> Lexapro for some other symptoms, including some of the obsessive

> thinking. Not

> quite a month since starting, and improvement is hard to measure --

> sometimes

> he seems more 'himself' and easier to deal with, then we encounter an

> episode

> like from the past and it seems hopeless. Ugh.

>

> I look forward to learning from everyone here - thanks for bearing with me,

> this is so overwhelming. :o/

>

> Liz

> dh Bob

> mom to Jack (8), (4), and Kate (2)

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi Liz, welcome! Even if you are not sure this is actually OCD,

usually the issues (obsessiveness or perfection or whatever) can

still be worked on in the same way as " OCD " , even some sensory

issues.

A couple thoughts (or so!) crossed my mind as I read your post. But

first let me say that I'm a single mom, 3 sons; one, age 17, has OCD

and also diagnoses of dysgraphia and Aspergers Syndrome (on autism

spectrum).

Some of the obsessiveness reminded me of autism; that can be a

trait. On the other hand (yes, the opposite), with OCD, there might

a need in that same way. It was sort of simple with me to decide

with if something was Aspergers (AS) related or OCD.

's OCD gave him a feeling that something bad would happen to

him if he didn't " find that something " for instance, lots of anxiety,

etc.; if it was his AS, then it was more a stubborness,

relentlessness, obsessiveness...to it. The anxiety might come later

as he can't find it and refuses to quit until he does. With OCD, the

anxiety would have been there from the first.

says that with OCD you HAVE to find it; with Aspergers you

WANT to find it. Aspergers is more of a personality quirk.

People with autism can be very rigid about things, in their thinking;

inflexible.

And when talking about something, sometimes they can go on & on &

on...and people have long since quit listening, but it's a

subject/topic they are interested in. And some can be a bit literal

about what is told to them/what they hear. Oh, lots of little things!

You could read the criteria for autism and/or Aspergers Syndrome.

Some things might fit, others not. With anyone, you have to remember

that each person is an individual, that some traits can be stronger

in one person than another, and personality itself can come into

play. For instance, is very caring about others, reads my

emotions well, where you might read those with autism have a problem

with this. Now - they actually might with a complete

stranger/someone they don't know well.

There is also Nonverbal Learning Disorder (NLD or NVLD) that is very

similar to Aspergers. I couldn't decide which fit better

they were so similar.

So - I'm not trying to steer you away from OCD, but these others

crossed my mind. And, as I said, you can work on the OCD-type

problems the same way usually. I think the difference will be in the

perspective the child is coming from with their behavior.

I've been interrupted a bit replying to this so forgive any confusion!

Here are a few links (of the many!!) I have saved if you want to look

at them, on AS and NLD:

http://www.autism-society.org/site/PageServer?pagename=Aspergers

http://www.udel.edu/bkirby/asperger/

http://www.nldontheweb.org/

Hope to hear more from you! You can get lots of suggestions on how

to work with some of the behaviors and even sensory areas. Has he

been to an occupational therapist for any sensory issues?

>

> Hi all-

>

> I just found/joined this site and have been reading with interest.

I am

> still not sure if we completely 'belong' here, but nowhere else

seems to fit

> either ... I welcome any input and sharing with others going

through similar

> things!

>

Guest guest

In a message dated 8/13/2006 5:27:51 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,

adelem@... writes:

And do you know when we had to check out they told us that we had

picked the wrong car and it wasn't available. My husband about died, they

had no clue as to what it took to get my son in this car. They brought us

another car and had to transfer all of our stuff with my son to the new one.

Oh, DP ... in a twisted way, you just made my night! I can absolutely

picture all of this - and am chuckling with sympathy. The incidents you

described

are exactly like what we go through here - I thought we must be the only

ones, no one else seemed to fit our profile.

My son is SO similar - out of the blue, getting stuck on some unforeseen

thing. Some other 'fun' (!!) examples include -

while on vacation at the beach, we (regrettably!) gave him the choice of

whether we'd go to the bay or the ocean beach that day ... assured him either

was fine, it was our last day and he could choose. OH MY GOD - it turned into

WW3 ... he picked one, then en route got worried and unsure, and switched

back to the other .. and on and on. We pulled over, were all sweltering packed

in the van, little girls starting to lose it as well since we were stalled

out and going nowhere -- and Jack ended up in a full blown tantrum, unable to

decide, and unable to let us choose then ... etc etc. (for the record, we

finally ended up deciding for him to go to the ocean beach ... where he

persisted in being unhappy and tantrum-y the whole time ... niiice)

And I also had a similar van 'kidnapping', LOL -- Jack got 'stuck' at our

pool a couple of weeks ago after swim team, refusing to put on his usual

sunscreen before I took him to camp. It escalated in the parking lot -- all of

my

calm tactics were to no avail, I wanted to just get him IN the car, and

figure it out from there. Well-l-l, he would not get in the car, was

completely

stuck, making a scene in the parking lot .... we were boiling hot, and I

finally got in the car, acted like I was starting to leave - he came near, I

swooped him into the open van door, closed the door, and DROVE OFF with him

screaming on the van floor! (just to outside of the parking lot, so we could

decompress in private) Oh man, my two and four year olds will end up in

therapy

themselves someday after living through all of this chaos! :o/

My son also like yours is highly gifted/ADD, extremely creative and

imagitative which I think is what is really creating all his fears. My son

does not have rituals or compusions that I know of. He isn't the typical

hand washer, hoarder, checker, etc. He just seems to get stuck all the time.

So interesting - they sound like there are many similarities. Wish there

was more written (or maybe there is, and I haven't found it yet!) about this

specific feature - getting 'stuck'!

Thanks so much for your reply ... makes me feel like I am not losing my

mind. Sorry that others are going through this as well, but glad to find some

company!

Liz