RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Coconut Oil

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I do something that makes taking CO so much easier! I bought a single electric

warmer/burner at Ralph's for $10. It has a " warm " setting (the lowest). I keep

it at warm, put an oven safe saucer on it, then a folded paper towel to aborb

any spillage, put a pyrex bowl filled with CO on that, with a lid, of course. I

keep it right next to my stove, with a little scoop. The burner keeps my CO

liquid, but it's not hot. I can pour CO in my cast iron pan when I cook, then

put a scoop or two on my food before I eat. So much easier!

HTH,

Donna

Guest guest

Hi all and happy holidays!

I was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin coconut oil as

their added fat in their cr diet.

Thanks!

-

Guest guest

wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin

coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]

** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.

On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes, leaving

my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda

(experimentation finds the right blend for you).

As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it, but

for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called for in a

recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.

Yogini Valarie Devi

Guest guest

Francesca,

Several months ago, I was intrigued by some of the claims made for coconut oil.

Coconut oil should probably not be used as a dietary fat because it is 92%

saturated fat with 18% myristic acid which strongly increases blood cholesterol

levels. I think that even brushing your teeth and spitting it out you are

likely to get a lot of it in your system.

Web sites like Mercola tout the great health benefits of virgin coconut oil, but

they don't specify usage, dosages, or consequences such as high cholesterol from

regular ingestion. Mercola also has a conflict of interest because he sells

coconut oil (and at about twice the price that you can get it at Whole Foods).

However, coconut oil is very good as a body lotion because it acts as a

moisturizer and it also has antimicrobial properties against yeasts and fungi.

I did a search and I have posted several references from refereed journals in

the following web page:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-o\

il.html

I have been using coconut oil on my face and feet for about two months. I no

longer have the red rashes on my face that I used to get occasionally. The skin

in my feet has also improved. I don't have the cracked heels, and the stubborn

athlete foot fungus between the toes is completely gone. So, from my personal

experience virgin coconut oil is good as a body lotion, but I am not going to

eat it or cook with it.

Tony

>

> >

> >

> > wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin

> > coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]

> > ** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.

> >

> > On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes,

leaving

> > my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda

> > (experimentation finds the right blend for you).

> >

> > As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it,

> > but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called

> > for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.

> >

> > Yogini Valarie Devi

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I read the excerpts on Amazon and it did whet my appetite to read the book. Unfortunately this book costs much more than the typical book ($45) and does not seem to be in circulation at the public library – at least not in my area of the country although I’m in a metropolitan area. And the high cost of the book makes me suspicious that this guy, whether he makes a good case or not, wants to enrich himself.

On 12/14/10 5:44 PM, " Branimir Cucek " <bcucek@...> wrote:

Dear all,

Recently I have read a newly published book with a very different outlook on tropic oils and saturated/unsaturated oil debate.

The author goes at great lengths to argue against traditional opinions with some very detailed axplanations and studies

http://www.amazon.com/Fats-Life-Essential-Health-Disease/dp/081354677X/

(For general outlook of the book the very interesting Preface can be read at Amazon)

Although I am not conviced as yet to change my eating habits, coming from a mediterranian country and living

on essentially CR mediterranian diet, with lots of Omega-3's added, this book raised for me some questions.

From the book it essentially follows that for cooking the best are saturated tropic oil fats since they do not oxidate

on elevated temperatures, the monounsaturated are somewhere in the middle and can be used non-heated,

trans-fats are still no-no, and polyunsaturated Omega-3 are best (but not heated) but polyunsaturated omega-9 and 6 are considered bad only in excess of some ratio to Omega-3 consumption.

To the author, the most cholesterol comes from processed fructose and essentially sugars and starches (but not from honey).

I would sincerely like for some opinions from a more informed people on the list about this line of thinking.

Best regards,

Branimir Cucek,

Zagreb, Croatia

Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:53 PM

Subject: [ ] Re: Coconut Oil

Francesca,

Several months ago, I was intrigued by some of the claims made for coconut oil. Coconut oil should probably not be used as a dietary fat because it is 92% saturated fat with 18% myristic acid which strongly increases blood cholesterol levels. I think that even brushing your teeth and spitting it out you are likely to get a lot of it in your system.

Web sites like Mercola tout the great health benefits of virgin coconut oil, but they don't specify usage, dosages, or consequences such as high cholesterol from regular ingestion. Mercola also has a conflict of interest because he sells coconut oil (and at about twice the price that you can get it at Whole Foods).

However, coconut oil is very good as a body lotion because it acts as a moisturizer and it also has antimicrobial properties against yeasts and fungi. I did a search and I have posted several references from refereed journals in the following web page:

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-oil.html

I have been using coconut oil on my face and feet for about two months. I no longer have the red rashes on my face that I used to get occasionally. The skin in my feet has also improved. I don't have the cracked heels, and the stubborn athlete foot fungus between the toes is completely gone. So, from my personal experience virgin coconut oil is good as a body lotion, but I am not going to eat it or cook with it.

Tony

>

> >

> >

> > wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin

> > coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]

> > ** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.

> >

> > On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes, leaving

> > my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda

> > (experimentation finds the right blend for you).

> >

> > As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it,

> > but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called

> > for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.

> >

> > Yogini Valarie Devi

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I noticed that Half.com has a copy of this book for $45.50. http://cart.half.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ShoppingCart & action=merchview & la=2 & fi=1On Dec 15, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Francesca Skelton wrote:I read the excerpts on Amazon and it did whet my appetite to read the book. Unfortunately this book costs much more than the typical book ($45) and does not seem to be in circulation at the public library – at least not in my area of the country although I’m in a metropolitan area. And the high cost of the book makes me suspicious that this guy, whether he makes a good case or not, wants to enrich himself.On 12/14/10 5:44 PM, "Branimir Cucek" <bcucek@...> wrote: Dear all, Recently I have read a newly published book with a very different outlook on tropic oils and saturated/unsaturated oil debate.The author goes at great lengths to argue against traditional opinions with some very detailed axplanations and studies http://www.amazon.com/Fats-Life-Essential-Health-Disease/dp/081354677X/(For general outlook of the book the very interesting Preface can be read at Amazon) Although I am not conviced as yet to change my eating habits, coming from a mediterranian country and livingon essentially CR mediterranian diet, with lots of Omega-3's added, this book raised for me some questions. From the book it essentially follows that for cooking the best are saturated tropic oil fats since they do not oxidateon elevated temperatures, the monounsaturated are somewhere in the middle and can be used non-heated,trans-fats are still no-no, and polyunsaturated Omega-3 are best (but not heated) but polyunsaturated omega-9 and 6 are considered bad only in excess of some ratio to Omega-3 consumption.To the author, the most cholesterol comes from processed fructose and essentially sugars and starches (but not from honey). I would sincerely like for some opinions from a more informed people on the list about this line of thinking. Best regards, Branimir Cucek,Zagreb, Croatia From: [mailto: ] On Behalf Of citpeksSent: Tuesday, December 14, 2010 6:53 PM Subject: [ ] Re: Coconut Oil Francesca,Several months ago, I was intrigued by some of the claims made for coconut oil. Coconut oil should probably not be used as a dietary fat because it is 92% saturated fat with 18% myristic acid which strongly increases blood cholesterol levels. I think that even brushing your teeth and spitting it out you are likely to get a lot of it in your system.Web sites like Mercola tout the great health benefits of virgin coconut oil, but they don't specify usage, dosages, or consequences such as high cholesterol from regular ingestion. Mercola also has a conflict of interest because he sells coconut oil (and at about twice the price that you can get it at Whole Foods).However, coconut oil is very good as a body lotion because it acts as a moisturizer and it also has antimicrobial properties against yeasts and fungi. I did a search and I have posted several references from refereed journals in the following web page:http://www.scientificpsychic.com/blogentries/health-benefits-of-virgin-coconut-oil.htmlI have been using coconut oil on my face and feet for about two months. I no longer have the red rashes on my face that I used to get occasionally. The skin in my feet has also improved. I don't have the cracked heels, and the stubborn athlete foot fungus between the toes is completely gone. So, from my personal experience virgin coconut oil is good as a body lotion, but I am not going to eat it or cook with it.Tony> > > > > > > wrote [[i was wondering if anyone has opinions on, or is using virgin> > coconut oil as their added fat in their cr diet.]]> > ** I use organic coconut oil on my skin and to brush my teeth.> > > > On my skin, it goes on greasy for just a few moments, then normalizes, leaving> > my skin non-greasy and smooth. As a toothpaste I mix it with baking soda> > (experimentation finds the right blend for you).> > > > As to eating .. rarely. Occasionally, a Live Vegan recipe will call for it,> > but for me, its more for flavoring than oil. As such, when I see it called> > for in a recipe, I substitute young coconut water or meat with good results.> > > > Yogini Valarie Devi> > > > > > > > > >>

Guest guest

Francesca asked [[is there any scientific basis for using coconut oil as either

a skin enhancer or a toothpaste?]]

** I dont know, but then, I dont use it as a 'skin enhancer'. I do not use

commercial lotions on my skin so have long sought out alternatives. After much

trial and error, my skin likes coconut oil.

As with lotions, I dont use commercial toothpaste either. The coconut

oil/baking soda mix was suggested by a friend. I tried it and liked it. I

think Ive read where its supposed to be good for gingivitis. Again, I dont

know. I like the way it cleans my teeth - the pleasant after taste and feel -

so it works for me.

Yogini Valarie Devi