Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dear Neel,

It is not usually necessary to do any tests before starting the gfcf diet. Some

people send a urine sample to the University of Sunderland to see whether there

are certain markers which researchers there think may show problems with gluten

or casein or both, but this is not necessary.

If you can access a dietician this might be helpful as they could help you

ensure that, having cut out all dairy, your child's diet isn't deficient. In

this country it is also a good idea to let the child's General Practitioner know

you will be trying a special diet.

I am trying to think where you might get good advice about starting gfcf on-line

- can other list members help?

Have you looked at the Treating Autism website?

http://www.treatingautism.co.uk/

You may like to look at the Beginners' section. A lot of people also cut out

soya and corn (maize). This makes finding alternatives to yogurt and milk more

difficult. Milk,of course, contains many nutrients so it is important to make

sure your child doesn't develop deficiencies. Gluten isn't so important and you

can, in any event, use millet, buckwheat, rice and potatoes on a gluten-free

diet. It is important not to replace the gluten-containing foods with highly

processed substitutes, especially if they are loaded with sugar.

Other fsmilies are using the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and some are reporting

better results with this than with the gfcf diet.

Best wishes,

Margaret

>

> Dear All,

>  

> I am a new member joined this group.I am a parent of a child with Autism who

is 10 yrs old.Bid medical is new for me and have heard a lot about it and how it

has helped our children.

>  

> I stay in Dubai so would like to know which tests are required to be done

before starting the GFCF Diet.

>  

> Rgds

>  

> neel

>

Guest guest

WELCOME TO THE GROUP..CAROL;;THERE ARE LOTS OF NEAT FOLKS IN HERE;;

TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF

HUGS

DORT FROM MICH

From: funnylady2009 <funnylady2009@...>Subject: new member Date: Saturday, May 30, 2009, 6:02 PM

Hi, my name is Carol and I am a new member here. the reason I wanted to join is because I suffer from a severe form of osteoporosis as well as other medical ailments. Right now I am dealing with being housebound after suffering a compound fracture to my left leg and having a rod put in. It is a result of the osteoporosis, but there is also a funny story that goes along with it. It seems that I fell through the pavement in my driveway, but the doctor said that my leg wouldn't have broken so badly if I hadnt had the osteoporosis.thanks,Carol

Guest guest

1) Name (as you wish to be known by) Miriam2) Location (be as detailed as you want i.e. just list the country or list country/state/suburb etc) Utah

3) Personal Info (this is about why you joined. Tell about your illness, or if you are a carer tell about that. Mention your family if you want, or your lifestyle - kids/pets etc) I was 22 when I was diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension and pkd. I have now been on blood pressure meds for 5 years. I haven't been feeling so hot lately. These are my symptoms always tired, nausea, headaches (migranes), hand tremors, feet throb, my back hurts, I also feel confused disoriented alot. I am considering taking anti depressants but would like some advice. 4) Interests (tell about your hobbies and what you enjoy) I like to read and listen to music5) Email (Say yes if you want your email address listed so others can contact you privately - or no if you do not) no6) ICQ / AOL / MSN (these are those contacts... list your numbers if you wish to be contacted via ICQ, MSN or AOL)7) Webpage (if you have a personal webpage and would like it listed say yes and list the URL)8) Birthday (just the date and month and star sign - age is not important)

June 15

Dell Days of Deals! June 15-24 - A New Deal Everyday!

1) Name (as you wish to be known by) Miriam2) Location (be as detailed as you want i.e. just list the country or list country/state/suburb etc) Utah

3) Personal Info (this is about why you joined. Tell about your illness, or if you are a carer tell about that. Mention your family if you want, or your lifestyle - kids/pets etc) I was 22 when I was diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension and pkd. I have now been on blood pressure meds for 5 years. I haven't been feeling so hot lately. These are my symptoms always tired, nausea, headaches (migranes), hand tremors, feet throb, my back hurts, I also feel confused disoriented alot. I am considering taking anti depressants but would like some advice. 4) Interests (tell about your hobbies and what you enjoy) I like to read and listen to music5) Email (Say yes if you want your email address listed so others can contact you privately - or no if you do not) no6) ICQ / AOL / MSN (these are those contacts... list your numbers if you wish

to be contacted via ICQ, MSN or AOL)7) Webpage (if you have a personal webpage and would like it listed say yes and list the URL)8) Birthday (just the date and month and star sign - age is not important)

June 15

Guest guest

Hey Miriam, I am new here too! I hope you find relief from your symptoms. Good

luck! MicheleBB

>

>

>

> NEW MEMBER

>

> 1) Name (as you wish to be known by)

> Miriam

> 2) Location (be as detailed as you want i.e. just list the country or list

> country/state/suburb etc)

> Utah

> 3) Personal Info (this is about why you joined. Tell about your illness,

> or if you are a carer tell about that. Mention your family if you want, or

> your lifestyle - kids/pets etc)

> I was 22 when I was diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension and pkd. I have

> now been on blood pressure meds for 5 years. I haven't been feeling so hot

> lately. These are my symptoms always tired, nausea, headaches (migranes),

> hand tremors, feet throb, my back hurts, I also feel confused disoriented

> alot. I am considering taking anti depressants but would like some advice.

>

> 4) Interests (tell about your hobbies and what you enjoy)

> I like to read and listen to music

> 5) Email (Say yes if you want your email address listed so others can

> contact you privately - or no if you do not)

> no

> 6) ICQ / AOL / MSN (these are those contacts... list your numbers if you

> wish to be contacted via ICQ, MSN or AOL)

>

> 7) Webpage (if you have a personal webpage and would like it listed say

> yes and list the URL)

>

> 8) Birthday (just the date and month and star sign - age is not important)

> June 15

>

>

>

>

>

>

> **************Dell Days of Deals! June 15-24 - A New Deal Everyday! (htt

>

p://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222677718x1201465083/aol?redir=http:%2F%2F

> ad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215692163%3B38015526%3Be)

>

> 1) Name (as you wish to be known by)

>    Miriam

> 2) Location (be as detailed as you want i.e. just list the country or list

country/state/suburb etc)

>   Utah

> 3) Personal Info (this is about why you joined. Tell about your illness, or if

you are a carer tell about that. Mention your family if you want, or your

lifestyle - kids/pets etc)

>   I was 22 when I was diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension and pkd.  I have now

been on blood pressure meds for 5 years.  I haven't been feeling so hot lately. 

These are my symptoms always tired, nausea, headaches (migranes), hand tremors,

feet throb, my back hurts, I also feel confused disoriented alot.  I am

considering taking anti depressants but would like some advice. 

> 4) Interests (tell about your hobbies and what you enjoy)

>   I like to read and listen to music

> 5) Email (Say yes if you want your email address listed so others can contact

you privately - or no if you do not)

>   no

> 6) ICQ / AOL / MSN (these are those contacts... list your numbers if you wish

to be contacted via ICQ, MSN or AOL)

>

> 7) Webpage (if you have a personal webpage and would like it listed say yes

and list the URL)

>

> 8) Birthday (just the date and month and star sign - age is not important)

>    June 15

>

Guest guest

Hi,

Welcome here. I'm an adult autistic with some behavior issues.

I have a question for you: what is the problem with the ripping,

actually? Is it that you need the boxes/bags/etc., or does it create

too much mess, or what? You could be giving him some things, like

bags/boxes you won't need anymore, that he could rip up in a private

place, so that the mess would be manageable.

Astrid

astrid@...

Citeren tunick42004 <tunick42004@...>:

> I am new to this group. I have been having a lot

> of problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.

> It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he

> started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started

> ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip

> up cardboard boxes.

>

> I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.

> I really do not know what the ripping is.

>

> Perhaps someone could help with this one.

>

>

>

> Lana

>

>

Guest guest

I used ripping as a reinforcer for teaching Karac sight reading or anything else that I

wanted to teach him, i.e. read the word through ten trials and be allowed 5 minutes of

ripping. Like all reinforcers, he got burned out on it. LOL, LOL, Pat K

I am new to this group. I have been having a lot

of problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.

It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip up cardboard boxes.

I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.

I really do not know what the ripping is.

Perhaps someone could help with this one.

Lana

Guest guest

Hi,The ripping is obviously a sensory seeking issue. Perhaps it's his need for deep muscle exercise since ripping uses lots of hand strength. Maybe he likes the sound along with the sensation of ripping. It obviously serves a purpose that satisfies him. Why do you care if he rips things? Since he can't explain why he does this, why not give him specific things to rip up, a place to do it where he isn't making a mess and then work on other sensory satisfying activities. Have you tried deep pressure or can he jump on a small trampoline? These may help. Anything that stimulates deep muscle tissue will probably help. J., TACASanta From: tunick42004 <tunick42004@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:22:45 AMSubject: new member

I am new to this group. I have been having a lot

of problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.

It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip up cardboard boxes.

I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.

I really do not know what the ripping is.

Perhaps someone could help with this one.

Lana

Guest guest

Hi and welcome! My 11 year old son rips paper constantly. His bedroom is always a mess of ripped up paper. He likes to make confetti. Sometimes it is actually funny how he gets excited and throws the paper up in the air and yells "confetti"! I would rather him rip up paper (sometimes he rips up cardboard boxes) than have him destroy things in my apartment. He has learned not to make that kind of mess outside of his room.

NW Ohio

Guest guest

It is good to know another person with a child that rips paper. Any paper around he rips up including cardboard boxes. Very frustrating. He does it everywhere in our apartment.

Lana

From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:25:49 AMSubject: Re: new member

Hi and welcome! My 11 year old son rips paper constantly. His bedroom is always a mess of ripped up paper. He likes to make confetti. Sometimes it is actually funny how he gets excited and throws the paper up in the air and yells "confetti"! I would rather him rip up paper (sometimes he rips up cardboard boxes) than have him destroy things in my apartment. He has learned not to make that kind of mess outside of his room.

NW Ohio

Guest guest

I care that he rips up things because I end up cleaning all the mess up which is a lot. I could try to do what you suggest. If we give him things he can rip up, he will still rip other things up. Deep pressure might be a good idea. Thank you.

Lana

From: nancy cook <endofautism@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:24:13 AMSubject: Re: new member

Hi,The ripping is obviously a sensory seeking issue. Perhaps it's his need for deep muscle exercise since ripping uses lots of hand strength. Maybe he likes the sound along with the sensation of ripping. It obviously serves a purpose that satisfies him. Why do you care if he rips things? Since he can't explain why he does this, why not give him specific things to rip up, a place to do it where he isn't making a mess and then work on other sensory satisfying activities. Have you tried deep pressure or can he jump on a small trampoline? These may help. Anything that stimulates deep muscle tissue will probably help.

J., TACASanta

From: tunick42004 <tunick42004>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:22:45 AMSubject: new member

I am new to this group. I have been having a lotof problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip up cardboard boxes.I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.I really do not know what the ripping is.Perhaps someone could help with this one.Lana

Guest guest

I care that he rips up things because I end up cleaning all the mess up which is a lot. I could try to do what you suggest. If we give him things he can rip up, he will still rip other things up. Deep pressure might be a good idea. Thank you.

Lana

From: nancy cook <endofautism@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 10:24:13 AMSubject: Re: new member

Hi,The ripping is obviously a sensory seeking issue. Perhaps it's his need for deep muscle exercise since ripping uses lots of hand strength. Maybe he likes the sound along with the sensation of ripping. It obviously serves a purpose that satisfies him. Why do you care if he rips things? Since he can't explain why he does this, why not give him specific things to rip up, a place to do it where he isn't making a mess and then work on other sensory satisfying activities. Have you tried deep pressure or can he jump on a small trampoline? These may help. Anything that stimulates deep muscle tissue will probably help.

J., TACASanta

From: tunick42004 <tunick42004>AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) comSent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:22:45 AMSubject: new member

I am new to this group. I have been having a lotof problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip up cardboard boxes.I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.I really do not know what the ripping is.Perhaps someone could help with this one.Lana

Guest guest

Sounds like a good idea. I will think about that. Thank you.

From: "pkuenstler@..." <pkuenstler@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:42:06 AMSubject: Re: new member

I used ripping as a reinforcer for teaching Karac sight reading or anything else that Iwanted to teach him, i.e. read the word through ten trials and be allowed 5 minutes ofripping. Like all reinforcers, he got burned out on it. LOL, LOL, Pat K new member

Guest guest

Sounds like a good idea. I will think about that. Thank you.

From: "pkuenstler@..." <pkuenstler@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:42:06 AMSubject: Re: new member

I used ripping as a reinforcer for teaching Karac sight reading or anything else that Iwanted to teach him, i.e. read the word through ten trials and be allowed 5 minutes ofripping. Like all reinforcers, he got burned out on it. LOL, LOL, Pat K new member

Guest guest

The problem with the ripping is that he does it everywhere in our apartment. He rips up cardboard, plastic bags, anything he can get to but he does not clean it up. I keep cleaning up after him and that is really not fun. If I allow him to rip certain things, he will still rip and then throws it all behind a couch. It is very frustrating and messy to me. I don't really have any boxes or bags I can give it but that might be a good idea. Thank you.

Lana

From: Astrid <astrid@...>autism ; tunick42004 <tunick42004@...>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:34:36 AMSubject: Re: new member

Hi,Welcome here. I'm an adult autistic with some behavior issues.I have a question for you: what is the problem with the ripping, actually? Is it that you need the boxes/bags/etc. , or does it create too much mess, or what? You could be giving him some things, like bags/boxes you won't need anymore, that he could rip up in a private place, so that the mess would be manageable.Astridastrid@astridvanwoe rkom.comCiteren tunick42004 <tunick42004>:> I am new to this group. I have been having a lot> of problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.> It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he > started to

rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started > ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip > up cardboard boxes.>> I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.> I really do not know what the ripping is.>> Perhaps someone could help with this one.>>>> Lana>>

Guest guest

The problem with the ripping is that he does it everywhere in our apartment. He rips up cardboard, plastic bags, anything he can get to but he does not clean it up. I keep cleaning up after him and that is really not fun. If I allow him to rip certain things, he will still rip and then throws it all behind a couch. It is very frustrating and messy to me. I don't really have any boxes or bags I can give it but that might be a good idea. Thank you.

Lana

From: Astrid <astrid@...>autism ; tunick42004 <tunick42004@...>Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 6:34:36 AMSubject: Re: new member

Hi,Welcome here. I'm an adult autistic with some behavior issues.I have a question for you: what is the problem with the ripping, actually? Is it that you need the boxes/bags/etc. , or does it create too much mess, or what? You could be giving him some things, like bags/boxes you won't need anymore, that he could rip up in a private place, so that the mess would be manageable.Astridastrid@astridvanwoe rkom.comCiteren tunick42004 <tunick42004>:> I am new to this group. I have been having a lot> of problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.> It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he > started to

rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started > ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip > up cardboard boxes.>> I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.> I really do not know what the ripping is.>> Perhaps someone could help with this one.>>>> Lana>>

Guest guest

Lana,

I realize that this doesn't always work, but I sometimes have to brib Ricky to help clean up the paper. If he doesn't help, he doesn't get anymore paper until the mess is cleaned up. One problem, he has learned to hide extra paper, so he isn't always out. Hopefully he outgrows this pretty soon. He wants friends so bad and he wants his future step cousins to come over, so I tell him he has to keep his room clean for that to happen. It will click in one of these days.

Guest guest

Lana,

I realize that this doesn't always work, but I sometimes have to brib Ricky to help clean up the paper. If he doesn't help, he doesn't get anymore paper until the mess is cleaned up. One problem, he has learned to hide extra paper, so he isn't always out. Hopefully he outgrows this pretty soon. He wants friends so bad and he wants his future step cousins to come over, so I tell him he has to keep his room clean for that to happen. It will click in one of these days.

Guest guest

Hello Lana,

I am a new member too. My little boy has Autism age 8 years old, non-verbal, has

many aggressive / sensory behaviors.His name is .

is a paper ripper as well. I know all to well how much mess a paper

ripper can make. His paper ripping is a (sensory input) he is seeking because he

is feeling anxious, or overwhelmed.

Ripping paper is his way of calming himself. I have a large storage tub I let

set in it in my Garage, and let him rip paper until he is done with it.

Then I hear a big sigh, which means he is no longer feeling anxious or

overwhelmed.

It took me a long time to understand his need to rip paper. It wasn't until I

talked to a person who is on the spectrum who explained to me his need to rip

paper.

You might think this sounds wacky,...lol...I sometimes get the leaf blower out

and blow the paper into a pile, then let sit in the middle of the

ripped paper pile and allow him to throw the paper up in the air, he loves to

watch it float back down, he gets sensory input from the floating paper. When we

are done, he tries to help me pick the paper up and throw it in the trash.

I do understand your frustrations with having to clean up the paper all the

time. That's why I only allow paper ripping in the garage.It is a great stress

relief for .

I hoped I helped on some level, as that was my goal.

Sincerely,

Deborah B.

Indiana

>

> It is good to know another person with a child that rips paper. Any paper

around he rips up including cardboard boxes. Very frustrating. He does it

everywhere in our apartment.

>

> Lana

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>

> autism

> Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:25:49 AM

> Subject: Re: new member

>

>  

> Hi and welcome!  My 11 year old son rips paper constantly.  His bedroom is

always a mess of ripped up paper.  He likes to make confetti.  Sometimes it is

actually funny how he gets excited and throws the paper up in the air and yells

" confetti " !  I would rather him rip up paper (sometimes he rips up cardboard

boxes) than have him destroy things in my apartment.  He has learned not to make

that kind of mess outside of his room.

>

>

> NW Ohio

>

Guest guest

Hello Lana,

I am a new member too. My little boy has Autism age 8 years old, non-verbal, has

many aggressive / sensory behaviors.His name is .

is a paper ripper as well. I know all to well how much mess a paper

ripper can make. His paper ripping is a (sensory input) he is seeking because he

is feeling anxious, or overwhelmed.

Ripping paper is his way of calming himself. I have a large storage tub I let

set in it in my Garage, and let him rip paper until he is done with it.

Then I hear a big sigh, which means he is no longer feeling anxious or

overwhelmed.

It took me a long time to understand his need to rip paper. It wasn't until I

talked to a person who is on the spectrum who explained to me his need to rip

paper.

You might think this sounds wacky,...lol...I sometimes get the leaf blower out

and blow the paper into a pile, then let sit in the middle of the

ripped paper pile and allow him to throw the paper up in the air, he loves to

watch it float back down, he gets sensory input from the floating paper. When we

are done, he tries to help me pick the paper up and throw it in the trash.

I do understand your frustrations with having to clean up the paper all the

time. That's why I only allow paper ripping in the garage.It is a great stress

relief for .

I hoped I helped on some level, as that was my goal.

Sincerely,

Deborah B.

Indiana

>

> It is good to know another person with a child that rips paper. Any paper

around he rips up including cardboard boxes. Very frustrating. He does it

everywhere in our apartment.

>

> Lana

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>

> autism

> Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:25:49 AM

> Subject: Re: new member

>

>  

> Hi and welcome!  My 11 year old son rips paper constantly.  His bedroom is

always a mess of ripped up paper.  He likes to make confetti.  Sometimes it is

actually funny how he gets excited and throws the paper up in the air and yells

" confetti " !  I would rather him rip up paper (sometimes he rips up cardboard

boxes) than have him destroy things in my apartment.  He has learned not to make

that kind of mess outside of his room.

>

>

> NW Ohio

>

Guest guest

Yes, you did help. Thank you for your input. Since I live in an apartment, there is no garagel However, I should put a box in the living room and left him rip paper and put it n there instead of behind the couch. He rips things into tiny pieces and then throws them behind a couch. I gave him a box once and he did okay but then later he was ripping again. I will try the box thing again. Thank you.

Lana

From: deborah3brock <deborah3brock@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:50:17 PMSubject: Re: new member

Hello Lana,I am a new member too. My little boy has Autism age 8 years old, non-verbal, has many aggressive / sensory behaviors.His name is . is a paper ripper as well. I know all to well how much mess a paper ripper can make. His paper ripping is a (sensory input) he is seeking because he is feeling anxious, or overwhelmed. Ripping paper is his way of calming himself. I have a large storage tub I let set in it in my Garage, and let him rip paper until he is done with it. Then I hear a big sigh, which means he is no longer feeling anxious or overwhelmed.It took me a long time to understand his need to rip paper. It wasn't until I talked to a person who is on the spectrum who explained to me his need to rip paper. You might think this sounds wacky,...lol. ..I sometimes get the leaf blower out and blow the paper into a pile, then let sit in the middle of the ripped paper pile and

allow him to throw the paper up in the air, he loves to watch it float back down, he gets sensory input from the floating paper. When we are done, he tries to help me pick the paper up and throw it in the trash. I do understand your frustrations with having to clean up the paper all the time. That's why I only allow paper ripping in the garage.It is a great stress relief for .I hoped I helped on some level, as that was my goal.Sincerely,Deborah B.Indiana >> It is good to know another person with a child that rips paper. Any paper around he rips up including cardboard boxes. Very frustrating. He does it everywhere in our apartment.> > Lana>

> > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>> AutismBehaviorProbl emsgroups (DOT) com> Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 11:25:49 AM> Subject: Re: new member> > > Hi and welcome! My 11 year old son rips paper constantly. His bedroom is always a mess of ripped up paper. He likes to make confetti. Sometimes it is actually funny how he gets excited and throws the paper up in the air and yells "confetti"! I would rather him rip up paper (sometimes he rips up cardboard boxes) than have him destroy things in my apartment. He has learned not to make that kind of mess outside of his room.> > > NW

Ohio>

Guest guest

Thanks. I think I will try that. He should be cleaning it up anyway, not me.

Lana

From: Wylie <mlwpdb@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:24:23 PMSubject: Re: new member

Lana,

Guest guest

Welcome Lana! I'm Judy from Virginia. It sounds like you've found a great solution to your son's need to rip paper that doesn't allow the paper bits to overtake your home!

When you say that your son is non-verbal, do you mean that he doesn't speak at all? Or that he isn't able to communicate verbally in any functional way?

Love,

Judy (mom to , age 12, NT, and Jake, age 10.5, ASD)

www.bforbedlam.wordpress.com

Re: new member

Hello Lana,I am a new member too. My little boy has Autism age 8 years old, non-verbal, has many aggressive / sensory behaviors.His name is . is a paper ripper as well. I know all to well how much mess a paper ripper can make. His paper ripping is a (sensory input) he is seeking because he is feeling anxious, or overwhelmed. Ripping paper is his way of calming himself. I have a large storage tub I let set in it in my Garage, and let him rip paper until he is done with it. Then I hear a big sigh, which means he is no longer feeling anxious or overwhelmed.It took me a long time to understand his need to rip paper. It wasn't until I talked to a person who is on the spectrum who explained to me his need to rip paper. You might think this sounds wacky,...lol...I sometimes get the leaf blower out and blow the paper into a pile, then let sit in the middle of the ripped paper pile and allow him to throw the paper up in the air, he loves to watch it float back down, he gets sensory input from the floating paper. When we are done, he tries to help me pick the paper up and throw it in the trash. I do understand your frustrations with having to clean up the paper all the time. That's why I only allow paper ripping in the garage.It is a great stress relief for .I hoped I helped on some level, as that was my goal.Sincerely,Deborah B.Indiana

Guest guest

Hi, Lana...Welcome!

e

Wife, mom (john david 2.75 yrs, ASD --- Lily 6 NT)

From: tunick42004 <tunick42004@...>autism Sent: Saturday, August 8, 2009 2:22:45 AMSubject: new member

Guest guest

Sorry, that should have said "Welcome Deborah!"

Re: new member

Welcome Lana! I'm Judy from Virginia. It sounds like you've found a great solution to your son's need to rip paper that doesn't allow the paper bits to overtake your home!

When you say that your son is non-verbal, do you mean that he doesn't speak at all? Or that he isn't able to communicate verbally in any functional way?

Love,

Guest guest

Hi Lana. Welcome to the group! I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with ripping things but you've gotten some great suggestions from others I think.

My son does something that I've never met another autistic child that does. He cuts paper. He cuts letters and words out of paper mostly, in all sorts of amazing fonts. And he does this with barely a glance at the paper. Sometimes he cuts faces or shapes or animals or other simple images. We keep a letter tray on the table next to where he sits on the sofa, you know like an in/out tray you would use in an office but with three levels? It's stocked with different papers on two levels and his catalogs on the bottom level. He likes to look at the catalogs from places like www.abilitations.com as well as some the smaller wholesale bead/jewelry supply catalogs I get. He also has a clipboard there and a box that holds his markers and crayons because when he's not cutting paper, he likes to draw/write on it.

In front of his end table is a cloth tote/bin that all of his used paper goes into. I bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond on sale for less than $15. It took me a few months to train him to put it all in there rather than throw it all over the floor or shove it between the cushions of the sofa but I just kept making him stop every so often and pick it all up, hand-over-hand when necessary, and reminding him that his paper goes in the bin. And I'd reinforce him when he picked it all up without fussing or started throwing it in there mostly on his own with special, brightly-colored paper.

Love,

I am new to this group. I have been having a lotof problems with my 15-year-old nonverbal autistic son.It started when he liked shaking a toy in a plastic bag. When he started to rip up the bags, I took them away. Then he started ripping up plastic bags so I took those away. Then he started to rip up cardboard boxes.I really do not know what to do. I take away as many bags as I could.I really do not know what the ripping is.Perhaps someone could help with this one.