RemedySpot.com

hello

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hi, My son Tyler is 5 years old and for 2 years it was constantly the Tank Engine. Toys and DVD's. It was the only toy he would bother with. He would build the trainsets and knows the name of every train in the series. I still can't do that. He's now focused on Star Wars and . It's amazing, he hums the Star Wars music while he arranges the figures and knows the names of all the figures and some of the names are complicated. He still cannot recognize letters of the alphabet. So, I've gone on ebay to locate items related to and Star Wars that incorporate the alphabet. No real progress with that yet. But, he did start a Speech and Motion class 2 weeks ago and he came home saying the letter A and making the sound of the letter A, so that was a big deal for us. His initial diagnosis is PDD-NOS and ADHD. Try dotolearn.com and reedmartin.com. They have resources, games and other things that may be of interest. Sorryso long, thanks for letting me share. joesconcernedmum <joesconcernedmum@...> wrote: Hi,thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and have shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to diagnosis.Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over !I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too challenging?!Thanks all,Eva

Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Guest guest

At that age (3-5) my son was just as

obsessive with Mostly Winnie the Po. However,

my grandmother bought him Junior Phonics which came with 3 videos he became

obsessed with watching over and over and over. I was amazed how much it helped

his speech. If anyone is interested this was the program, it may have changes

some, my son is now 12 1/2. http://www.coloring-page.net/parents/phonics-jr.html

-Charlotte

From: Autism and Aspergers Treatment [mailto:Autism and Aspergers Treatment ] On Behalf Of Adair

Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006

7:43 AM

Autism and Aspergers Treatment

Subject: Re:

hello

Hi,

My son Tyler is 5 years old and for 2 years it was constantly

the Tank Engine. Toys and DVD's. It was the only toy he would

bother with. He would build the trainsets and knows the name of every

train in the series. I still can't do that.

He's now focused on Star Wars and . It's amazing, he hums

the Star Wars music while he arranges the figures and knows the names of

all the figures and some of the names are complicated. He still cannot

recognize letters of the alphabet. So, I've gone on ebay to locate items

related to and Star Wars that incorporate the alphabet. No real

progress with that yet. But, he did start a Speech and Motion class 2

weeks ago and he came home saying the letter A and making the sound of the

letter A, so that was a big deal for us. His initial diagnosis is PDD-NOS

and ADHD.

Try dotolearn.com and reedmartin.com. They have resources, games

and other things that may be of interest. Sorryso long, thanks for

letting me share.

joesconcernedmum

<joesconcernedmum@...> wrote:

Hi,

thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences

between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and have

shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to diagnosis.

Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over !

I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer

sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too challenging?!

Thanks all,

Eva

Guest guest

At that age (3-5) my son was just as

obsessive with Mostly Winnie the Po. However,

my grandmother bought him Junior Phonics which came with 3 videos he became

obsessed with watching over and over and over. I was amazed how much it helped

his speech. If anyone is interested this was the program, it may have changes

some, my son is now 12 1/2. http://www.coloring-page.net/parents/phonics-jr.html

-Charlotte

From: Autism and Aspergers Treatment [mailto:Autism and Aspergers Treatment ] On Behalf Of Adair

Sent: Saturday, April 29, 2006

7:43 AM

Subject: Re:

hello

Hi,

My son Tyler is 5 years old and for 2 years it was constantly

the Tank Engine. Toys and DVD's. It was the only toy he would

bother with. He would build the trainsets and knows the name of every

train in the series. I still can't do that.

He's now focused on Star Wars and . It's amazing, he hums

the Star Wars music while he arranges the figures and knows the names of

all the figures and some of the names are complicated. He still cannot

recognize letters of the alphabet. So, I've gone on ebay to locate items

related to and Star Wars that incorporate the alphabet. No real

progress with that yet. But, he did start a Speech and Motion class 2

weeks ago and he came home saying the letter A and making the sound of the

letter A, so that was a big deal for us. His initial diagnosis is PDD-NOS

and ADHD.

Try dotolearn.com and reedmartin.com. They have resources, games

and other things that may be of interest. Sorryso long, thanks for

letting me share.

joesconcernedmum

<joesconcernedmum@...> wrote:

Hi,

thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences

between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and have

shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to diagnosis.

Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over !

I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer

sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too challenging?!

Thanks all,

Eva

Guest guest

My daughter Hope, who has Aspergers, ADHD and mood lability, really likes letters and words. What has really helped her is singing songs about the words, her old preschool teacher had a song about each of the letters, along with consonants, vowels etc., this was reinforced by coloring pages. How many of you here have children who are aggressive/violent? My oldest daughter has HFA/Aspergers severe - and she did this but never at school. My youngest daughter was kicked out of preschool (private), and I recently lost my child care due to her melt downs. The doc started her on Tenex, and once her testing is completed she will start Abilify. She is also on Adderall 5mg. This has been pretty rough, my oldest daughter is textbook HFA. Obsessive - narrow interest (only interested in role playing and anime), inability to be flexible, inability to multi task - i.e. we are working on

behavior and she is making progress, however, she is now borderline failing two classes. In addition to that, she is impossible to read at all - same expression all the time. The five year old is very expressive, but lines things up constantly and counts them, has a lot of trouble reading social cues, is emotionally labile, inattentive, and doesn't make direct eye contact. She has a hard time with instructions that are not what she expects, and cannot tolerate any change in routine. Any suggestions? , military wife and mama to: Max 17 (adhd), Molly (aspergers) 14, SaraCait 9 (adhd) and Hope 5 (aspergers, adhd *) also mama to Rosie an 8 yo Chow Chow, Nina Darling a 12 yo Basset Hound, two brat cats, Buddy and Baby Girl - bearded dragons, a turtle named Kenny and two hamsters: Prince Charming and Princess Fiona www.cabrilloyachtsales.com www.topgun80.com Charlotte <scottdesigns@...> wrote: At that age (3-5) my son was just as obsessive with Mostly Winnie the Po. However, my grandmother bought him Junior Phonics which came with 3 videos he became obsessed with watching over and over and over. I was amazed how much it helped his speech. If anyone is interested this was the program, it may have changes some, my son is now 12 1/2. http://www.coloring-page.net/parents/phonics-jr.html -Charlotte From: Autism and Aspergers Treatment [mailto:Autism and Aspergers Treatment ] On Behalf Of AdairSent: Saturday, April 29, 2006 7:43 AMAutism and Aspergers Treatment Subject: Re: hello Hi, My son Tyler is 5 years old and for 2 years it was constantly the Tank Engine. Toys and DVD's. It was the only toy he would bother with. He would build the trainsets and knows the name of every train in the series. I still can't do that. He's now focused on Star Wars and . It's amazing, he hums the Star Wars music while he arranges the figures and knows the names of all the

figures and some of the names are complicated. He still cannot recognize letters of the alphabet. So, I've gone on ebay to locate items related to and Star Wars that incorporate the alphabet. No real progress with that yet. But, he did start a Speech and Motion class 2 weeks ago and he came home saying the letter A and making the sound of the letter A, so that was a big deal for us. His initial diagnosis is PDD-NOS and ADHD. Try dotolearn.com and reedmartin.com. They have resources, games and other things that may be of interest. Sorryso long, thanks for letting me share. joesconcernedmum <joesconcernedmum@...> wrote: Hi,thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and have shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to

diagnosis.Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over !I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too challenging?!Thanks all,Eva Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Guest guest

H i stephanie Thanks for the email addresses for activities i went into it last night and Callum seemed to like the dotolearn one. Re the obsessions with Callum has an obsession with buses and if one stops while we are waiting for a bus he will be feeling the tyres carefully and talking about the stickers on the bus and saying that bus has a different sticker to the other bus etc. He is also into planes and sharks. At Callums school they have a thing called show and tell and when Callum takes a plane in to show that his dad has built the teacher says that he wont just say this is a plane he goes into all the details of the plane engine and fuselage and everything. She says the other kids will say this is a ship or whatever theyve brought in but Callum tells you everything. At his o.t appointment last week they were on a trampoline and throwing a beanbag to one another and they were to say an animals name when it was their turn

and the o.t was saying acat or a dog or whatever and Callum rattled through about a dozen different shark names whale shark, tiger shark etc and the o.t said my goodness i didnt know there were as many sharks as that i've had an education today. Adair <stephanieguidryadair@...> wrote: Hi, My son Tyler is 5 years old and for 2 years it was constantly the Tank Engine. Toys and DVD's. It was the only toy he would bother with. He would build the trainsets and knows the name of every train in the series. I still can't do that. He's now focused on Star Wars and . It's amazing, he hums the Star Wars music while he arranges the figures and knows the names of all the figures and some of the names are complicated. He

still cannot recognize letters of the alphabet. So, I've gone on ebay to locate items related to and Star Wars that incorporate the alphabet. No real progress with that yet. But, he did start a Speech and Motion class 2 weeks ago and he came home saying the letter A and making the sound of the letter A, so that was a big deal for us. His initial diagnosis is PDD-NOS and ADHD. Try dotolearn.com and reedmartin.com. They have resources, games and other things that may be of interest. Sorryso long, thanks for letting me share. joesconcernedmum <joesconcernedmum@...> wrote: Hi,thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and have

shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to diagnosis.Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over !I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too challenging?!Thanks all,Eva Messenger with Voice. PC-to-Phone calls for ridiculously low rates.

Guest guest

Hi Eva:

I had to smile when I read your post. My son practically lived on the

Island of Sodor when he was preschool age. I think it has to do with

the fixed expressions of the trains. Our guys actually have time to

process the emotion and figure out what it means.

My son is now 15 and no longer plays with the trains. Occasionally

though, he will still watch a few of the videos or listen to the CD -

we think he's going back and filling in those things he didn't

understand or were confusing the first time around.

and his friends were a way to motivate my son when he was

little. For a while, he didn't want to wear anything colored (very

difficult for a 3 yr old) so I told him that when he was wearing blue

he looked like and when he was wearing red he looked like

etc. etc. and on and on.

Good luck

Trish

>

> Hi,

>

> thanks to all of you who answered my post about the differences

> between AS and HFA. Your answers have been very informative and

have

> shown that there is quite a grey area still when it comes to

diagnosis.

>

> Is anyone else's child into the Tank Engine? I'm so over

!

>

> I was wondering, could anyone direct me to any good (free) computer

> sites for kids? Something a bit challenging but not too

challenging?!

>

> Thanks all,

> Eva

>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

Welcome to the group! This is a great place to come to for motivation :)I'm Darcy and mom to two boys. My youngest just turned a year old. I bounced back after pregnancy and am sure you can as well.Darcy

On 5/11/06, elycia_snyder <u2girl@...> wrote:

Hello everyone. I just joined. Looking for different venues to getremotivated and making exercise part of my regular routine again.During my pregnancy, I pretty much stopped working out and now it islike I am starting at square one. I tried to do what I thought was

one of the easier Taebo's the other day and saw how bad a shape I amin right now. Tuesday night I did Firm Basics SWW and tonight I amgoing to either do Cathe Basic or FB Abs, Buns and Thighs.Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am a beginner, so anyone else

getting started just like me, I would love to have a buddy.Hope to get to know everyone.U2girl

Guest guest

Welcome to the group! This is a great place to come to for motivation :)I'm Darcy and mom to two boys. My youngest just turned a year old. I bounced back after pregnancy and am sure you can as well.Darcy

On 5/11/06, elycia_snyder <u2girl@...> wrote:

Hello everyone. I just joined. Looking for different venues to getremotivated and making exercise part of my regular routine again.During my pregnancy, I pretty much stopped working out and now it islike I am starting at square one. I tried to do what I thought was

one of the easier Taebo's the other day and saw how bad a shape I amin right now. Tuesday night I did Firm Basics SWW and tonight I amgoing to either do Cathe Basic or FB Abs, Buns and Thighs.Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am a beginner, so anyone else

getting started just like me, I would love to have a buddy.Hope to get to know everyone.U2girl

Guest guest

In a message dated 5/11/2006 9:19:55 P.M. US Eastern Standard Time, u2girl@... writes:

Hope to get to know everyone.

Hi and welcome to the group! Once you get started and stay consistent, you will ever wonder how you made it without your workouts everyday. Hang in there, you will get lots of support here.

Guest guest

hello welcome to the group. one day at a time. start slow and build up. you will be amazed at how fast you can get there if you keep focused and getting some sort of activity in everyday. kassia

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Guest guest

Hello Elycia, I'm not a beginner but I haven't

worked out regularly in a couple of years...I guess

I'm a beginner/intermediate.

I would LOVE to have a buddy that wanted/needed to

give and receive encouragement to work out regularly.

Please email me at volleyjen0416@... or just

reply to this message.

Take care,

Jen

--- elycia_snyder <u2girl@...> wrote:

> Hello everyone. I just joined. Looking for

> different venues to get

> remotivated and making exercise part of my regular

> routine again.

> During my pregnancy, I pretty much stopped working

> out and now it is

> like I am starting at square one. I tried to do

> what I thought was

> one of the easier Taebo's the other day and saw how

> bad a shape I am

> in right now. Tuesday night I did Firm Basics SWW

> and tonight I am

> going to either do Cathe Basic or FB Abs, Buns and

> Thighs.

>

> Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am a beginner,

> so anyone else

> getting started just like me, I would love to have a

> buddy.

>

> Hope to get to know everyone.

>

> U2girl

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

Welcome to the group. I'll address your question about HEG very briefly. I have both types of HEG equipment, and I've used them both for myself and for clients.

The evidence that I've seen suggests that the HEG sensors are measuring changes in corrrelates of metabolic activity near the areas where they're placed. In the case of nirHEG the correlate is the color of blood, which changes according to oxygenation (driven by metabolic demands of the brain tissue). With pirHEG the correlate is heat (generated as a metabolic byproduct). There is some evidence that with pirHEG the heat changes may also be affected by increased metabolic activity in areas more distant from the sensor. In either case, it's my opinion that HEG can be a useful treatment option. In some cases, depending on symptoms, it is my preferred approach.

Again, welcome to the list,

Merrifield, Ph.D.

-------------- Original message from HERAZ <alicia_3107@...>: --------------

I"m new on this group ! :))I got Pendent EEG I BioExplorer This week :))))What do you think bout HEG Kit ?? Do you think it really mesuring blood flow in th brain ?Thank you :)))))

HERAZhttp://alicia.heraz.free.fr/ Étudiante en Doctorat aux Laboratoires HERON et GRITI (514) 343 6532 + 45042

Guest guest

Welcome to the group! You might also want to take a look at the

brain-trainer.com website as well, since you can purchase hardware and software

there, generally at lower cost than you get when buying from the manufacturer.

I agree with 's comments regarding HEG. I know that Hershel disagrees with

this, but in my experience it works very well with clients who have excessive

slowing in the prefrontal and frontal areas--places that are difficult to train

with EEG because of eyeblink artifact. I have not found it very useful with

people who already have excessive activation, lots of beta and high-beta, since

there is obviously not a problem producing metabolic energy in those brains.

By the way, you can go to the list's home page

( ) and click on the Messages link on

the left. Then you will be able to search back through all the posts so far for

any topic you wish (for example " HEG " ) to see what has been written already on

this topic.

Pete

>

> From: HERAZ <alicia_3107@...>

> Date: 2006/05/20 Sat PM 06:50:01 EDT

>

> Subject: Hello

>

> I " m new on this group ! :))

>

> I got Pendent EEG I BioExplorer This week :))))

>

> What do you think bout HEG Kit ?? Do you think it really mesuring blood flow

in th brain ?

>

> Thank you :)))))

>

> HERAZ

> http://alicia.heraz.free.fr/

> Étudiante en Doctorat aux Laboratoires HERON et GRITI

> (514) 343 6532 + 45042

>

>

>

>

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi Jen,

I just found this message. Sorry that it took me so long. I would

love to have fitness buddy. I tried to get your email address from

the message, but unless I am doing something wrong, I can't see your

whole address. My email address is u2girl@.... Are you

doing a rotation right now? Hope to hear from you soon.

Elycia

>

> > Hello everyone. I just joined. Looking for

> > different venues to get

> > remotivated and making exercise part of my regular

> > routine again.

> > During my pregnancy, I pretty much stopped working

> > out and now it is

> > like I am starting at square one. I tried to do

> > what I thought was

> > one of the easier Taebo's the other day and saw how

> > bad a shape I am

> > in right now. Tuesday night I did Firm Basics SWW

> > and tonight I am

> > going to either do Cathe Basic or FB Abs, Buns and

> > Thighs.

> >

> > Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am a beginner,

> > so anyone else

> > getting started just like me, I would love to have a

> > buddy.

> >

> > Hope to get to know everyone.

> >

> > U2girl

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

>

> __________________________________________________

>

Guest guest

Hi Elycia, I thought you forgot about me or

weren't interested in a fitness buddy.... My email is

volleyjen0416@... My first name is but

you can call me Jen.

I haven't started an exercise rotation yet

because I wasn't feeling well with TOM and I also had

to plant and re-plant some flowers in my garden...I'm

finally done with that so I'm going to start my

exercise rotation either Thursday or Friday. I want

to walk everyday as well.

What exercise rotation are you doing? I'm doing Beach

Body (BB.)

Let me know how you are doing,

Jen

--- elycia_snyder <u2girl@...> wrote:

> Hi Jen,

>

> I just found this message. Sorry that it took me so

> long. I would

> love to have fitness buddy. I tried to get your

> email address from

> the message, but unless I am doing something wrong,

> I can't see your

> whole address. My email address is

> u2girl@.... Are you

> doing a rotation right now? Hope to hear from you

> soon.

>

> Elycia

>

>

> >

> > > Hello everyone. I just joined. Looking for

> > > different venues to get

> > > remotivated and making exercise part of my

> regular

> > > routine again.

> > > During my pregnancy, I pretty much stopped

> working

> > > out and now it is

> > > like I am starting at square one. I tried to do

> > > what I thought was

> > > one of the easier Taebo's the other day and saw

> how

> > > bad a shape I am

> > > in right now. Tuesday night I did Firm Basics

> SWW

> > > and tonight I am

> > > going to either do Cathe Basic or FB Abs, Buns

> and

> > > Thighs.

> > >

> > > Anyways, just wanted to say hello. I am a

> beginner,

> > > so anyone else

> > > getting started just like me, I would love to

> have a

> > > buddy.

> > >

> > > Hope to get to know everyone.

> > >

> > > U2girl

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> >

> > __________________________________________________

> >

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest

I'm sorry about you son's diagnosis and am glad he has a caring

mommy. My birth a early childhood was very much like '.

Average development that suddenly stopped when I was 10 months old.

I have Type two and am 39. My niece does too, and she's doing very

well at age 12. If you tell people on this list where you live, we

can probably refer you to good health care providers.

All the best.

>

> HI, MY NAME IS JESSICA AND I AM 22 YEARS OLD. ON SEPTEMBER 1,

2003; I GAVE BIRTH TO A BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY (CARLOS). THE DOCTORS

HANDED HIM TO ME AND ASSURED THAT HE WAS PERFECTLY HEALTHY. ALTHOUGH

FOR THE FIRST 9 MONTHS HE WAS FREQUENTLY SICK HE STILL DEVELOPED

NORMALLY. HE LIFT HIS HEAD, HE ROLLED OVER, HE TOOK HIS FIRST

STEPS ... HE WAS SO FULL OF LIFE. SHORTLY AFTER THAT I STARTED TO

NOTICE A CHANGE HE COULD DO THOSE THINGS WITH EASE, HE STARTED TO

REGRESS AND IT HURT BECAUSE ALL THE DOCTORS SAID HE WAS FINE AND IT

WAS NORMAL. IN JULY 2005, JUST 2 MONTHS BEFORE HIS BIRTH DATE I FOUND

A DOCTOR WHO WOULD LISTEN AND SHORTLY AFTER THAT I GOT A CALL. THEY

TOLD HE HAD SPINAL MUSCULAR ATROPHY TYPE 2 BUT DIDN'T THINK HE WOULD

LEAVE FOR TO MUCH LONGER. HE FIGHTS EVERY DAY TO DO THE THINGS HIS

COUSIN ARE DOING. HIS SMILE AND SPIRIT JUST LIGHT YOU UP. WE HAVE

STRUGGLED AND JUST WHEN WE THOUGHT WE COULD REST MY SON WAS

HOSPITALIZED WITH PNEUMONIA IN APRIL 2006. HIS LUNG

> COLLAPSED AND WE HAD TO MAKE A DECISION ABOUT MY SON'S LIFE BUT ON

THE DAY WE WERE GOING TO ALLOW THEM TO PUT A TUBE TO EASE HIS

BREATHING ... MY SONS LUNG STARTED TO RECOVER. HE STILL HAS A LOT OF

BREATHING DIFFICULTY AND MORE FEEDING ISSUES BUT HE WILL BE TURNING 3

THIS SEPTEMBER AND WE ARE LOOKING FOR TO HAVING A BIG PARTY. I HOPE

THAT THIS INFOTRMATION HELPS YOU TO GET TO KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT ME AND

MY FAMILY.

>

> IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOWS A FEEDING TUBE PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT YOUR

EXPIERENCE SO THAT I CAN DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT THIS IS THE ONLY WAY

TO GO FOR MY SON.

>

> SINCERELY,

> JESSICA AND CARLOS

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Messenger with Voice. Make PC-to-Phone Calls to the US (and

30+ countries) for 2¢/min or less.

>

>

Guest guest

I got a feeding tube in 1999 right before my 21st birthday. I have a G/J

tube rather than just a G tube. This means I have a tube going into my

stomach

and one into my jejunum/duodenum. This is b/c that year I developed GI

motility issues and getting meds and feeding in my J tube is more comfy. I

was

already very sick when I got it, and was in the middle of a 6 month hospital

stay. I got trached a couple months prior to the procedure. The procedure

itself is simple and there was pain at the site afterwards, but pain meds

helped that. I've heard it can be done laproscropically (sp?), but that a

select few hospitals do it that way. Before I got the tube I was 42 lbs. The

Drs

said I would never be able to consume enough calories to make up for the amt

I

was burning to breathe and function, therefore never going to gain weight.

After 3 months of the placement, I was up to 60 lbs. 7 years later I weigh

~66 lbs, which seems to be a adequate weight for me. The highest weight I've

been is 83 lbs. The only drawback from the surgery I believe is that gaining

weight decreased my ability to do certain things b/c my limbs/body are

heavier. I lost a lot of function, but since I was deathly sick, it was not

just the weight that contributed to this loss. Maybe someone who just had the

procedure proactively can share his/her outcomes.

There are different types of feeding tubes. I have what is called a MIC-KEY.

It's shown here in the first picture:

_http://www.bmed.com/products/eftmain.htm_

(http://www.bmed.com/products/eftmain.htm)

You can see other types in the following pics. The main difference btw the

MIC KEY and other type of tubes is that it is low profile. This means your

son

will have a port against his skin that is in his stomach at all times, held

there by a balloon located against the stomach wall. To access the port you

will connect a tube to the port. What's nice about this type of tube

(compared to like a PEG tube) is he won't have a tube hanging from his

stomach at all times. This is nice esthetically but also decreases the amt

of times the

tube gets pulled. These tubes are easy and painless to change once healed and

can be done at home. All you do is deflate the balloon, pull it out, replace

w/a new one and inflate the balloon w/water. Presently, I use my tube for

meds and nightly feedings. Most feeding pumps are very portable now and having

feedings during the day when active never hindered me in any way.

IMO in regards to when one should get a feeding tube is the sooner the

better b/c gaining weight helps in combating illnesses. The amt of illnesses

and

infections has decreased since my tube placement. I believe this helps in

maintaining my level of strength. When I get very sick, I lose function that I

must regain. The severity of my illness dictates how hard regaining what I lost

is. Sometimes I never regain my strength after I'm sick. Some will tell you

that getting a tube will increase one's chances of getting an infection b/c

of the stoma (hole in your stomach) site. In theory this is true b/c his is

going to have another orifice that allows access to his body/bloodstream. But,

if you clean the site the chances of this decreases dramatically. You need

to weigh the pros of having adequate nutrition to combat illnesses to the cons

of a risk for an infection at the site. Also, if loss of mobility is a

concern, the sooner you do it the stronger his muscles will be. If you wait til

your son is very sick like I did, he might lose more than he would if doing it

proactively.

I hope this helps you a little. Feel free to ask any questions.

Smiles,

Kimi

In a message dated 6/19/2006 11:00:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,

flaca07305@... writes:

IF ANYONE HAS OR KNOWS A FEEDING TUBE PLEASE TELL ME ABOUT YOUR EXPIERENCE

SO THAT I CAN DECIDE WHETHER OR NOT THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO FOR MY SON.

SINCERELY,

JESSICA AND CARLOS

Guest guest

Hi , My name is and I am a mostly single mom (read military wife haha) of four children, Max almost 18 - adhd and cognitive ld, which he has worked thru with a combo of meds and interventions - which he no longer needs, Molly 14 Aspergers, BP, PTSD, SaraCait - severe adhd - 30mg of adderall just barely takes the edge off, and Hope 5 autistic. Have you used social stories? Also, before school take him in (make an appt) to go and see the new room he will be in, and get to know the teacher 1:1. Go to OASIS website, there is a checklist of things that can bother a an aspie/autistic kid. Bring that with you. Not trying to issue orders - but I met with the Autism team for my daughter Molly and these things were HIGHLY suggested to me. <lillynjohnnybabe@...>

wrote: Hi, my name is , and im new here. Im a single mother of a 9 year old boy who is autistic..But hes my life..School ended to day and next year he will be going to a new school..Hes been acting a little different, i guess he knows something is going on. Just wanted to introduce myself..thanx... If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they wentWill There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.Ben A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loveshimself.Josh Billings

Sneak preview the all-new .com. It's not radically different. Just radically better.

Guest guest

Hi my name is , i have a 9 year old son named ny. Hes

everything to me. We just moved and got our own place, and its just

getting use to.. So now we have to start over and find my son a new

school.. yesterday was his last day at his old school.. but we will do

ok..

-- In Autism and Aspergers Treatment , " Sharon Schmidt "

<SSch184188@...> wrote:

>

> New member alert

> Please tell us something about you and your family. Welcome all, this

> is a great list with a great group of people willing to offer

> support. God bless all, Sharon

>

Guest guest

Hi, my name is , just read your post.. And i didnt find out my

son was autistic till he was 5 and i was putting him in school.. when

he was 3 and went for a checkup, i told the doctor that he wasnt

really talking , the doctor just looked puzzled and dismissed it. and

not till i put him into school , the send me to a doctor, and he

lold me my son was autistic..I was devestated of course, but had to

get over it, and help my son.. hes a lot better now, but we still

have our ups and downs..So feel free to email me if you like to talk

or share.. my E-mail is kinchijo@... Take care..

>

> Hi...I have been a member of this group for a few months now

but this

> is my first post. My son Zach is 7.5 and recently 'labeled' HFA.

I am

> still grieving and yet somehow relieved that I have not been

imagining the

> issues I've been trying to tell everyone about for almost 5 years.

I am

> still trying to educate myself about HFA, and while I already have

Zach in

> speech and OT therapy, I am now dizzy when looking at all the

options I

> should have been exploring for years. Gluten/casen-free diets,

ABA,

> Vitamin B6, secretin..the more I read the more out of my depths I

feel. We

> have an appt with TEACHH next week, which is thankfully located

very close

> to us in Raleigh, NC, but I would love any advice about where to

begin. I

> would also love to hear from anyone whose child was

not 'identified' until

> his/her school years. I have learned a lot from

your 'conversations' thus

> far, and look forward to joining in more now.

Thanks.............

>

Guest guest

Hi ,

I’m also called and have two girls on the spectrum –

is almost 12 and would be best described as high functioning autistic,

while , who will be 10 in October, is severely autistic.

I was diagnosed with Aspergers almost four

years ago so we’ve had varied experiences of the spectrum. Feel free to

ask me questions if you think I’d be able to help with anything.

Regards

From: Autism and Aspergers Treatment [mailto:Autism and Aspergers Treatment ] On Behalf Of

Sent: 24 June 2006 03:20

Subject: Hello

Hi, my name is ,

and im new here. Im a single mother of a 9 year

old boy who is autistic..But hes my life..School ended to day and next

year he will be going to a new school..Hes been acting a little

different, i guess he knows something is going on. Just wanted to

introduce myself..thanx...

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest

Hi , welcome!

I have a son, 17, with OCD. He also has a dysgraphia diagnosis

(which came about after OCD began) and an Aspergers Syndrome

diagnosis (on autism spectrum). His OCD problems began in 6th

grade.

This group saved my sanity! Whew, it's tough when no one around you

quite " gets " it. And I also work as an office assistant at our local

mental health center, which really had no one there to offer therapy

for him either.

His OCD first began with all these compulsions/rituals. My first

sign something was wrong in 6th grade was he was doing homework one

night and his writing looked...well, not like writing! " Chicken

scratch " is what I called it. He was erasing, drawing lines, writing

very lightly, and not even rewriting some of it he erased. When I

asked him " what??? " about it, his eyes teared up and he said he had

to or " something bad would happen to him. " I immediately

thought " OCD! " He'd had tendencies of OCD much younger, but nothing

like this 24/7 that came about in 6th grade. Suddenly it seemed he

was bursting with all this new OCD stuff, constantly *there*!

I have 2 other sons and am a single mom so truly understand

your " fried " comment! And about not having time for attention for

your daughter.

Welcome and I'm sure you'll find LOTS of support and empathy and just

anything else you need here, like SANITY! :)

>

> Hello everyone,

> Thanks for letting me join your group. My son was recently

diagnosed

> with OCD, Phonological Disorder, Dysgraphia, Developmental

Disorder,

Guest guest

Hi monica,

Boy, it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. How old is your son?

" N. Gatcomb " <sismidngt@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for letting me join your group. My son was recently diagnosed

with OCD, Phonological Disorder, Dysgraphia, Developmental Disorder,

and expressive language disorder. Needless to say finding your group

was a godsend.

I have known for a while that he showed the signs of OCD (I am a

mental health professional), but had to wait till the neuropsych until

I could start to get him treatment. They haven't put him on medication

yet.. but this is the next step.

I am finding that this is causing soooo many problems in my family.

I have a husband that doesn't quite understand the ocd issues, and gets

so frustrated with him. I have a daughter who is screaming out for

attention from me, but i find it hard to spend time with her without my

son constantly having to check in with me (this is one of his

obsessions). I am just fried at this point.

I am in hopes that reading and talking to you all will help me gain

some sanity :P

Thanks again.

---------------------------------

How low will we go? Check out Messenger’s low PC-to-Phone call rates.

Guest guest

My son is 6 years old. He is a challange because with the phonological

disorder comes a severe speech impediment. so here is a kid who thinks

he has to be perfect.. who can't be understood. makes me wonder who is

going to go gray first.. the mother or the child..lol

>

> Hi monica,

> Boy, it sounds like you've got a lot on your plate. How old is

your son?

>

Guest guest

Wow your story sounds so familiar..My son hasn't been diagnosed with

Aspergers " yet " (as the neuropsyc doc phrased it). He shows all the

symptoms of it, to the point they are waiting on seeing if the

medicines work for him before giving that diagnosis. What is this thing

you call sanity? I don't think it exists in my household :)

Thank you everyone for your warm welcome.. it really does mean a lot.

>

> Hi , welcome!

> I have a son, 17, with OCD. He also has a dysgraphia diagnosis

> (which came about after OCD began) and an Aspergers Syndrome

> diagnosis (on autism spectrum). His OCD problems began in 6th

> grade.