Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New to the group

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Thanks to everyone for all of your help and advice! I have to say a special

thanks to Catie because she called the Shriner's hospital in Chicago and got

Adelyn an appointment for next Friday. I know this is going to be a journey and

I'm glad I have a wonderful group to join me. Thanks again to everyone!!!!

Shirley

>

>

>

> Hi Shirley, welcome!

>

> Have you had a chance to look at the www.infantilescoliosis.org website? That

is a great place to start. The most fabulous news is that time is on your side,

as your daughter is so young. The earlier proper treatment begins, the best

chance for a complete cure with Mehta Method EDF casting. Progressive cases can

progress fast, so, you are doing the right thing to be on top of this now, in

case your child is progressive.

>

> The stories section of the website is very helpful. My son's story is on the

top left side of the home page in blue, just click on the link that says Crooked

Love- it also has some photos. Most casting doctors will need an MRI done before

beginning treatment, and in some cities like ours, that can take 2 months to get

in for an appointment. The best first thing would be to get your daughter's

X-ray to an Mehta trained doctor near you for their opinion. You may first want

to do a follow up X-ray first to determine if and how fast the curve is

progressing, but I wouldn't wait too long to do so...if your ortho wants to wait

3 months, for example, I would personally not want to wait for more than a

month. Ask any and all questions you have of this wonderful group!

>

> Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (2 and a half years old, in 6th cast from Salt Lake City

Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 25 in cast)

>

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@...>

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Sent: Wed, April 14, 2010 10:17:55 AM

> Subject: New to the group

>

>

> Hi Everyone! My name is Shirley and I joined the group on behalf of my

daughter Adelyn. She is the most beautiful seven month old with a personality

that is just as fabulous. We recently found out that her spine has a 33 degree

curve to the left so we are just starting our journey. I know that every child

and every circumstance is different but I would like to have an idea of what is

ahead for her. I would also greatly appreciate any resources that you have

found helpful or supportive. Thanks so much!

>

> Shirley

>

Guest guest

That was so great of Catie to help you out. I love how we ban together and help eachother even if we are hundreds of miles away and have never met. It is a true sisterhood. Joanmom to Hayden 339 degrees down from 62Cast number 4Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Thu, April 15, 2010 4:04:32 PMSubject: Re: New to the group

Thanks to everyone for all of your help and advice! I have to say a special thanks to Catie because she called the Shriner's hospital in Chicago and got Adelyn an appointment for next Friday. I know this is going to be a journey and I'm glad I have a wonderful group to join me. Thanks again to everyone!!!!Shirley>> > > Hi Shirley, welcome!> > Have you had a chance to look at the www.infantilescolio sis.org website? That is a great place to start. The most fabulous news is that time is on your side, as your daughter is so young. The earlier proper treatment begins, the best chance for a complete cure with Mehta Method EDF

casting. Progressive cases can progress fast, so, you are doing the right thing to be on top of this now, in case your child is progressive. > > The stories section of the website is very helpful. My son's story is on the top left side of the home page in blue, just click on the link that says Crooked Love- it also has some photos. Most casting doctors will need an MRI done before beginning treatment, and in some cities like ours, that can take 2 months to get in for an appointment. The best first thing would be to get your daughter's X-ray to an Mehta trained doctor near you for their opinion. You may first want to do a follow up X-ray first to determine if and how fast the curve is progressing, but I wouldn't wait too long to do so...if your ortho wants to wait 3 months, for example, I would personally not want to wait for more than a month. Ask any and all questions you have of this wonderful group!> > Heidi, Bexon's

Mommy, (2 and a half years old, in 6th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 61 degrees to 25 in cast)> > > > > ____________ _________ _________ __> From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@ ...>> infantile scoliosis treatment @groups. com> Sent: Wed, April 14, 2010 10:17:55 AM> Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New to the group> > > Hi Everyone! My name is Shirley and I joined the group on behalf of my daughter Adelyn. She is the most beautiful seven month old with a personality that is just as fabulous. We recently found out that her spine has a 33 degree curve to the left so we are just starting our journey. I know that every child and every circumstance is different but I would like to have an idea of what is

ahead for her. I would also greatly appreciate any resources that you have found helpful or supportive. Thanks so much!> > Shirley>

Guest guest

Cyndy and Shirley

My son has a small hemangioma on his back and some cafe o'la spots on his back as well. The neurologist seemed interested in these but the neurosurgeon and the ortho dont seem interested thaey just make a note of it. His is small but definately noticable. No one ever mentioned a correlation to that and scoli. You are the 1st i think on here that has mentioned it........curious huh??

From: mckinneys <clmckinney64@...>Subject: Re: New to the groupinfantile scoliosis treatment Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 1:52 PM

Shirley,Welcome to the group! How did you know she had an internal hemangioma? I ask only because Londynn has an external hemangioma, and although the pediatrician says they are common and resolve on their own - I often wonder if there is any correlation between one thing and another - such as hemangioma's and scoliosis? I have talked to another mother on this site about this, as a picture she posted showed her daughter having an external hemangioma also. Her doctor also said "No Correlation" - just food for thought. CyndyGMa of Londynn (1st cast Shriners SLC - 15 months)> > > > > > From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@ >> > Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New to the group> > infantile scoliosis treatment

@groups. com> > Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 1:17 PM> > > > > > Â > > > > > > > > Hi Everyone! My name is Shirley and I joined the group on behalf of my daughter Adelyn. She is the most beautiful seven month old with a personality that is just as fabulous. We recently found out that her spine has a 33 degree curve to the left so we are just starting our journey. I know that every child and every circumstance is different but I would like to have an idea of what is ahead for her. I would also greatly appreciate any resources that you have found helpful or supportive. Thanks so much!> > > > Shirley> >>

Guest guest

A friend of mine has a 3 year old daughter with a hemangioma on her head. She has some other issues as well, she had several seizures and now is delayed in her speech. I believe the dr's have told her the hemangioma is unrelated, but I wonder if it is. Joanmom to Hayden 339 degrees down from 62Cast number 4Treated at ish Rite Hospital Dallas, TX

From: <missikay10@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Thu, April 15, 2010 6:42:12 PMSubject: Re: Re: New to the group

Cyndy and Shirley

My son has a small hemangioma on his back and some cafe o'la spots on his back as well. The neurologist seemed interested in these but the neurosurgeon and the ortho dont seem interested thaey just make a note of it. His is small but definately noticable. No one ever mentioned a correlation to that and scoli. You are the 1st i think on here that has mentioned it........curious huh??

From: mckinneys <clmckinney64@ gmail.com>Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] Re: New to the groupinfantile scoliosis treatment @groups. comDate: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 1:52 PM

Shirley,Welcome to the group! How did you know she had an internal hemangioma? I ask only because Londynn has an external hemangioma, and although the pediatrician says they are common and resolve on their own - I often wonder if there is any correlation between one thing and another - such as hemangioma's and scoliosis? I have talked to another mother on this site about this, as a picture she posted showed her daughter having an external hemangioma also. Her doctor also said "No Correlation" - just food for thought. CyndyGMa of Londynn (1st cast Shriners SLC - 15 months)> > > > > > From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@ >> > Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New to the group> > infantile scoliosis treatment @groups. com> > Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 1:17 PM> > > > > > Â > > > > > > > > Hi Everyone! My name is Shirley and I joined the group on behalf

of my daughter Adelyn. She is the most beautiful seven month old with a personality that is just as fabulous. We recently found out that her spine has a 33 degree curve to the left so we are just starting our journey. I know that every child and every circumstance is different but I would like to have an idea of what is ahead for her. I would also greatly appreciate any resources that you have found helpful or supportive. Thanks so much!> > > > Shirley> >>

Guest guest

Adelyn's hemangioma is about the size of a ping pong ball cut in half and just

stuck on the back of her neck. The neurologist said it was superficial and

should go away as she gets older. We haven't had a meeting with a doctor to

really ask questions about both. She also has the cafe au lait spots on her. I

just thought they were little birth marks, and they appeared soon after she was

born but I have noticed more showing up. I will talk to the doctor next week

about it, I don't want to be the paranoid mom but I don't want to miss anything

either. Other than the scoliosis and the hemangioma she has been a relatively

healthy little girl. I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything at this

point. We are going to get her first bikini this weekend and take some pics

just in case. :)

Shirley, Adelyn's mommy

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > From: shirley_flannery <shirley_flannery@ >

> >> > Subject: [infantile_scoliosi s] New to the group

> >> > infantile scoliosis treatment @groups. com

> >> > Date: Wednesday, April 14, 2010, 1:17 PM

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >  

> >> >

> >> >

> >> >

> >> > Hi Everyone! My name is Shirley and I joined the group on behalf of my

daughter Adelyn. She is the most beautiful seven month old with a personality

that is just as fabulous. We recently found out that her spine has a 33 degree

curve to the left so we are just starting our journey. I know that every child

and every circumstance is different but I would like to have an idea of what is

ahead for her. I would also greatly appreciate any resources that you have found

helpful or supportive. Thanks so much!

> >> >

> >> > Shirley

> >> >

> >>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Pam,Many of the posts you'll find here (and what you read on brain-trainer.com) will apply to your work with the Nexus and BioTrace.  Whether you use a Pendant or a Focus or an Infiniti or a Nexus or a BrainMaster (aside from the cost of getting set up and the ease of changing your protocols), the issues related to the brain and performance are pretty much the same.

If you are using 's assessment process (unfortunately, despite a number of requests from users) BioTrace programmers have never seen fit to find a way for it to output enough data to be able to use the TLC Assessment, but 's system is very good), you should at least be able to identify brain activation patterns which relate to the desired performance or behavior changees.  BioTrace pretty much requires that you use the protocols that you buy with it--it's NOT particularly user-friendly in terms of being able to create your own or make many changes.

But clients who are being trained with a Nexus, like those being trained with BioExplorer, still are likely to have depression issues if they have alpha reversals or excessive slow left-frontal quadrants; they are likely to be anxious if their beta levels are high or reversed front/back or left/right.  They are likely to struggle cognitively if their alpha peak is low or if they fail to block alpha when they open their eyes or perform a task.  They'll feel stressed and have racing thoughts if their temporal lobes show high levels of beta/high-beta.  They'll have attention or processing difficulties if they show very high ratios of theta to beta, and probably will have a hard time sitting still and dealing with distractions if they have low ratios of theta to beta.

How you find out what kinds of patterns they exhibit is different with a Nexus, but you still need to find out.  And how you train to change those patterns will be different (in terms of names of protocols and the kind of feedback they provide) with BioTrace, but most of the options (or variants of them) should still be available.

I'm sure there are other Nexus users on the list who may be able to help you, and if you read back through posts on the list about some of the topics mentioned above by going to the messages area (/messages ) and searching for the topic of interest, you should find more general brain-related information.  Some of our video workshops (the Level 2 and Level 3, for example), though they may use examples related to BioExplorer, are designed to help you make sense of what brain patterns have been identified with what symptom constellations and options for training them.

Welcome.Pete-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 305 433 3160BR 47 3346 6235

The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Pam <pmillr@...> wrote:

Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really meeting the basic needs of a " newby " . I have read info about the bio explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And, I have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they look like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a Nexus 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses. My client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self harm, and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency and yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus 10. I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not confident with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle this wide open question?

Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

Guest guest

, Thanx for your indepth answer. I will continue to search through the past

messages to see if I can get more directly applicable to Bio-Trace and Nexus. I

appreciate you taking the time to give me such a complete answer. I really

appreciate this group it is just full of useable info!

>

> > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really

> > meeting the basic needs of a " newby " . I have read info about the bio

> > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And, I

> > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they look

> > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a Nexus

> > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses. My

> > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self harm,

> > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency and

> > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if

> > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide

> > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus 10.

> > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not confident

> > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle this

> > wide open question?

> >

> > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

> >

>

Guest guest

PamGo on the Nexus 10 bulletin board and take a look at Dr. Pfeil's attempt to distill the Swingle assessment system into a five point intake and a very good Excel chart which gives ratios and a list of items to discuss with patients.He calls it QuickQ.On Apr 20, 2010, at 8:44 AM, Pam wrote:

, Thanx for your indepth answer. I will continue to search through the past messages to see if I can get more directly applicable to Bio-Trace and Nexus. I appreciate you taking the time to give me such a complete answer. I really appreciate this group it is just full of useable info!

>

> > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really

> > meeting the basic needs of a "newby". I have read info about the bio

> > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And, I

> > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they look

> > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a Nexus

> > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses. My

> > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self harm,

> > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency and

> > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if

> > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide

> > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus 10.

> > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not confident

> > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle this

> > wide open question?

> >

> > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

> >

>

Dr. Goldringpaul.goldring@...

Guest guest

Hi ,

What's the web adress for this bulletin board

thanks,

Bruce

> > >

> > > > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really

> > > > meeting the basic needs of a " newby " . I have read info about the bio

> > > > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And,

I

> > > > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they

look

> > > > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a

Nexus

> > > > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses.

My

> > > > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self

harm,

> > > > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency

and

> > > > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if

> > > > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide

> > > > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus

> > > > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not

confident

> > > > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle

this

> > > > wide open question?

> > > >

> > > > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Dr. Goldring

> paul.goldring@...

>

Guest guest

Bruce, I think this is what you are looking for:

Nexus10

Pam :-)

> > > >

> > > > > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is

really

> > > > > meeting the basic needs of a " newby " . I have read info about the bio

> > > > > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete.

And, I

> > > > > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they

look

> > > > > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a

Nexus

> > > > > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses.

My

> > > > > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self

harm,

> > > > > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency

and

> > > > > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering

if

> > > > > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a

wide

> > > > > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for

Nexus 10.

> > > > > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not

confident

> > > > > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle

this

> > > > > wide open question?

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Dr. Goldring

> > paul.goldring@

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks but unfortunately I'm not an owner of nexus 10 but am interest in what Dr. PFeil came up with. Any way this can be shared on this group.

Bruce

Re: new to the group

Bruce, I think this is what you are looking for: Nexus10Pam :-) > > > > > > > > > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really> > > > > meeting the basic needs of a "newby". I have read info about the bio> > > > > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And, I> > > > > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they look> > > > > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a Nexus> > > > > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses. My> > > > > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self harm,> > > > > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency and> > > > > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if> > > > > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide> > > > > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus 10.> > > > > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not confident> > > > > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle this> > > > > wide open question?> > > > >> > > > > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam> > > > >> > > >> > > > > > > > > > Dr. Goldring> > paul.goldring@> >>

Guest guest

Its a then nexus 10On Apr 20, 2010, at 10:56 AM, thor432001 wrote:

Hi ,

What's the web adress for this bulletin board

thanks,

Bruce

> > >

> > > > Greetings! I am new to this group but from what I have read it is really

> > > > meeting the basic needs of a "newby". I have read info about the bio

> > > > explorer and bio review etc. that sounds pretty simple to complete. And, I

> > > > have visited a couple of websites suggested in your threads, but they look

> > > > like they are all directed at the Bio Trainer etc. However, I have a Nexus

> > > > 10 and have completed the Stens biofeedback and neurofeedback courses. My

> > > > client base is primarily depression, sleep disorders, anxiety, self harm,

> > > > and of course have the geriatric population with cognitive deficiency and

> > > > yes the typical (if there are any) ADHD child/parents. I am wondering if

> > > > anyone has a basic simple place to start with NFB? I know that is a wide

> > > > open question. I will be trying a form of the Swingle Quick Q for Nexus 10.

> > > > I would like to try some low frequency or T/B training, but not confident

> > > > with where exactly to start or how. Would anyone be willing to tackle this

> > > > wide open question?

> > > >

> > > > Thanx for any help you can give me. Gratefully, Pam

> > > >

> > >

> >

> >

>

> Dr. Goldring

> paul.goldring@...

>

Dr. Goldringpaul.goldring@...

Guest guest

Caught traveling for work. I am from Colombia.

Hey, how can I arrange with you to order eggs (42 / 48) on your next delivery

date to the Twin Cities?

Any recommendation of Sauerkrout? pickles?

Thanks

Wasserman

Subject: Re: New to the Group

Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:05 PM

Oh I forgot to ask, what part of south america are you from?

Guest guest

!A la tierra del vallenato y la cumbia mas sabrosa!

I do not have a regular drop off for eggs in the cities. The way we do it is

that you get your order to us as soon as you know you will want eggs and when

you want them by and I'll do my best to make sure they get there (to lakeville,

or possibly the twin cities) on your desired date.

I'm not sure what you meant by 42/48. Please keep in mind we are a very small

farm and it is not our sole means of income. We are diversified and do a little

of everything. So we never have huge quantities of eggs. But they are some of

the best you will find around.

>

>

> From: ryan2645 <ryan2645@...>

> Subject: Re: New to the Group

>

> Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:05 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Oh I forgot to ask, what part of south america are you from?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

!A la tierra del vallenato y la cumbia mas sabrosa!

I do not have a regular drop off for eggs in the cities. The way we do it is

that you get your order to us as soon as you know you will want eggs and when

you want them by and I'll do my best to make sure they get there (to lakeville,

or possibly the twin cities) on your desired date.

I'm not sure what you meant by 42/48. Please keep in mind we are a very small

farm and it is not our sole means of income. We are diversified and do a little

of everything. So we never have huge quantities of eggs. But they are some of

the best you will find around.

>

>

> From: ryan2645 <ryan2645@...>

> Subject: Re: New to the Group

>

> Date: Friday, May 21, 2010, 8:05 PM

>

>

>  

>

>

>

> Oh I forgot to ask, what part of south america are you from?

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Welcome , I am Pat K and the grandmother of an 18 year old

autistic grandson. I diagnosed him and have worked with him for 15

years. I adore him.

New to the group

Hello everyone!

My name is and I have two children on the spectrum with my

third being evaluated next Tuesday. More than likely he's on the

spectrum.

DS1 is 16 and has Asperger's/ADD. After a very temultuous freshman year

of high school I now homeschool him. We received his diagnosis when he

was 15. After he became so depressed that he was placed in a psych ward

three different times in 10 Months. High school was what pushed him

over the edge.

DS2 is 5yo and attends Kindergarten. He was diagnosed at the age of 2

by ECI with autism. He was nonverbal till the age of 3, where he spoke

a handful of words. Now he is verbal with some limits and is potty

training (just in the past few days he understands concept). He also

has started trying to write his letters with minimal assistance in the

past few days. He has been making wonderful accomplishments lately. He

is also my more calm natured one until he becomes overwhelmed with

sensory issues. Something I know we all understand.

DS3 is now 3 and is a joy. As long as he has, what I call, a good

behavior day. He has impulse control issues, likes to play in feces,

screams bloodcurdling screams for every emotion, throws himself to the

floor/ground, does not respond to pain in the typical way. His

educational side is above average. He does talk, although he needs

speech therapy and stutters. He understands concepts that NT children

his age haven't grasped yet. His evaluation is Tuesday with the

developmental pediatrician. I already tried getting him evaluated with

the school district and they would not continue the testing because

he's " too smart " . They recommended he be placed in preschool. Um, No.

Before the week would be up, I would be getting a call that my son has

injured yet another student in class and I'm sure I'd be dealing with

parents pressing charges. His impulses are that intense. He has broken

a metatarsal in my foot just from an impulse he couldn't control. I

have had facial fract ures from him head butting me. I'm refuse to

expose him to a classroom of 20 students that could very well become

injured by him. Not happening.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Thank you!

Guest guest

Welcome to the group and thank you for replying to my pottytraining

post! Wow, two maybe three children on the spectrum, what a challenging life,

which I'm sure only makes you stronger each day. It's hard for me with just one,

lol! But glad you decided to join and I look forward to getting to know you as

well:-)

>

> Hello everyone!

>

> My name is and I have two children on the spectrum with my third being

evaluated next Tuesday. More than likely he's on the spectrum.

>

> DS1 is 16 and has Asperger's/ADD. After a very temultuous freshman year of

high school I now homeschool him. We received his diagnosis when he was 15.

After he became so depressed that he was placed in a psych ward three different

times in 10 Months. High school was what pushed him over the edge.

>

> DS2 is 5yo and attends Kindergarten. He was diagnosed at the age of 2 by ECI

with autism. He was nonverbal till the age of 3, where he spoke a handful of

words. Now he is verbal with some limits and is potty training (just in the past

few days he understands concept). He also has started trying to write his

letters with minimal assistance in the past few days. He has been making

wonderful accomplishments lately. He is also my more calm natured one until he

becomes overwhelmed with sensory issues. Something I know we all understand.

>

> DS3 is now 3 and is a joy. As long as he has, what I call, a good behavior

day. He has impulse control issues, likes to play in feces, screams

bloodcurdling screams for every emotion, throws himself to the floor/ground,

does not respond to pain in the typical way. His educational side is above

average. He does talk, although he needs speech therapy and stutters. He

understands concepts that NT children his age haven't grasped yet. His

evaluation is Tuesday with the developmental pediatrician. I already tried

getting him evaluated with the school district and they would not continue the

testing because he's " too smart " . They recommended he be placed in preschool.

Um, No. Before the week would be up, I would be getting a call that my son has

injured yet another student in class and I'm sure I'd be dealing with parents

pressing charges. His impulses are that intense. He has broken a metatarsal in

my foot just from an impulse he couldn't control. I have had facial fractures

from him head butting me. I'm refuse to expose him to a classroom of 20 students

that could very well become injured by him. Not happening.

>

> Looking forward to getting to know you all.

>

> Thank you!

>

>

Guest guest

Thank you! Evaluation didn't happen for youngest because of insurance issues.

Rescheduled for the early part of 2011.

A couple of therapists that I've been in contact with in the past week in

relation to Preston have been able to see Conner in action. They also said that

he shows signs of ASD and ADHD. At least that helped me not feel as if I'm

overreacting about things. hahaha

>

> Welcome to the group and thank you for replying to my pottytraining

post! Wow, two maybe three children on the spectrum, what a challenging life,

which I'm sure only makes you stronger each day. It's hard for me with just one,

lol! But glad you decided to join and I look forward to getting to know you as

well:-)

>

Guest guest

Welcome. Do you journal? It is a great place to start. If you see what you are putting in your body you maybe able to look back and say GEE if I cut this out OR add this maybe it would be better. Any plan is water, portions, and exercise.

New to the group

Good day to all of you! I am new to this group, but not new to trying to lose weight. My name is Tina and I have like 125 lbs to lose. I am 5ft 4in and weigh 292. I have had a weight issue since college. Back then I played the roller coaster game (going up and coming down). Now it seems the scales just keep going up. I am 38 years old and I am disabled. Being disabled makes it hard to exercise too. I had a ATV accident in 1993 which crushed my pelvis, and messed my back up. I now plates in my pelvis and suffer from osteoarthritis daily. I know my weight has a lot to do with the pain. I have tried every diet you can think of. I normally make a resolution each New Year to lose weight, but this time I did not. I never stick to it so why do it? What I am doing is portion control and try to do some sort of exercise. I know there is no magic pill out there. I have tried all sorts of diet pills as well.

On the up side I am happily married and we will share 17 yrs this March. I have 3 boys ages 13, 10, and 3. My 3 yr old keeps me busy.

I joined this group for encouragement and to find out what is working for others, that maybe will work for me. Having surgery is not an option for me.

Tina

Guest guest

Welcome to the group, Tina. You sure have had your share of difficulties and it is inspiring to hear about overcoming the obstacles. Portion control is a very good way to manage eating and daily dedication really helps. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 12:19 PM

100-plus

Subject: New to the group

Good day to all of you! I am new to this group, but not new to trying to lose weight. My name is Tina and I have like 125 lbs to lose. I am 5ft 4in and weigh 292. I have had a weight issue since college. Back then I played the roller coaster game (going up and coming down). Now it seems the scales just keep going up. I am 38 years old and I am disabled. Being disabled makes it hard to exercise too. I had a ATV accident in 1993 which crushed my pelvis, and messed my back up. I now plates in my pelvis and suffer from osteoarthritis daily. I know my weight has a lot to do with the pain. I have tried every diet you can think of. I normally make a resolution each New Year to lose weight, but this time I did not. I never stick to it so why do it? What I am doing is portion control and try to do some sort of exercise. I know there is no magic pill out there. I have tried all sorts of diet pills as well.

On the up side I am happily married and we will share 17 yrs this March. I have 3 boys ages 13, 10, and 3. My 3 yr old keeps me busy.

I joined this group for encouragement and to find out what is working for others, that maybe will work for me. Having surgery is not an option for me.

Tina

Guest guest

Hi , I was diagnosed with type 3 when I was 15.  At the time they told me

I would not be able to walk by the time I was 30.  I'm 40 now and can still

walk just a little bit.  I was doing pretty well with walking until injuring my

back when I was about 33, since then I use a cane when walking in the house or

office and a wheelchair anywhere else. 

As far as children go, there are several people on this list that can answer

that one better than I can, but you can have your own children.  I never had

any myself.

I just got married almost 7 months ago and the key there is communication and

patience.  I rely on my wife for getting me out of chairs, into and out of the

bathroom and out of bed.  She knows the proper lifting techniques from working

in a retirement home years ago.  It's hard for me to ask for help sometimes but

she can usually tell when I need help and how to help just from the time we've

been together. 

Anyway, welcome to the group and feel free to ask if there's anything else you'd

like to know!

Tom

New to the Group

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this group and I'm hoping to learn from other in this group about

ideas, adaptations and obstacles I could face in my future. My name is , I

am from the Mt. Pleasant area (during the school year) and from the Flint area

during the summer in Michigan. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with SMA type

3 when I was 2 1/2 years old. I am currently a senior at Central Michigan

University and hoping to graduate this coming December. I have my own apartment

here in Mt. Pleasant with two wonderful roommates. I am also engaged to a

wonderful guy Jon and have set the wedding date for March 17, 2012 (if

graduating and school stuff work out as planned). I am able to still walk but I

use an motorized wheelchair to get around campus and a manual wheelchair when I

am going long distances like the mall.

My family consist of a younger biological sister and younger biological brother,

with three step-brothers (one passed away two years ago this March of Duchene

MD) and two step- sisters. My biological siblings are both diagnosed with SMA

Type 3. My brother hasn't walked since he was 3 and my sister has become

considerably weaker, using her chair more in the last three years. My Fiance

also has a daughter from a pervious marriage (Madison, 4 in April).

Some concerns that have been on my mind recently:

1. Walking, how long will I be able to walk? Is there an age where I'll stop

walking? I am not sure there is, doctors told my mom that me and my sister

wouldn't walk past the age of 10 but it's 16 years later and I am still walking.

2. Children, Am I able to have children of my own? Will they end up with SMA

also? How would being pregnant affect my disease and health? If I could have

kids would be a natural birth or c-section? And if I did have kids how to would

I take care of them (i.e. Picking them up, getting them out of a crib, stuff

like that)? the list of concerns and questions could go on forever with this

topic, it kind of makes me sad to think that I could be told no you can't or

shouldn't have kids.

3. Relationships, How do I help my fiance help me? How do I help him to

understand things I am going through?

So that's all I can think of right at this point, I'm sure there is more or even

topics I haven't even thought of already discussed. Thanks for anyone who

comments!

Sincerely,

Guest guest

Tom,

Congratulations on your recent marriage. I am very happy for you!

Lori

I am Bippy on Twitter.

Sent: Mon, January 24, 2011 11:12:57 AM

Subject: Re: New to the Group

Hi , I was diagnosed with type 3 when I was 15. At the time they told me

I would not be able to walk by the time I was 30. I'm 40 now and can still walk

just a little bit. I was doing pretty well with walking until injuring my back

when I was about 33, since then I use a cane when walking in the house or office

and a wheelchair anywhere else.

As far as children go, there are several people on this list that can answer

that one better than I can, but you can have your own children. I never had any

myself.

I just got married almost 7 months ago and the key there is communication and

patience. I rely on my wife for getting me out of chairs, into and out of the

bathroom and out of bed. She knows the proper lifting techniques from working

in a retirement home years ago. It's hard for me to ask for help sometimes but

she can usually tell when I need help and how to help just from the time we've

been together.

Anyway, welcome to the group and feel free to ask if there's anything else you'd

like to know!

Tom

New to the Group

Hello Everyone,

during the summer in Michigan. I am 26 years old and was diagnosed with SMA type

My family consist of a younger biological sister and younger biological brother,

wouldn't walk past the age of 10 but it's 16 years later and I am still walking.

shouldn't have kids.

So that's all I can think of right at this point, I'm sure there is more or even

comments!

Sincerely,

Guest guest

Thanks Lori!  Thought I was going to be the eternal bachelor lol

New to the Group

Hello Everyone,

shouldn't have kids.

comments!

Sincerely,

Guest guest

Hi ,

My name is Suzanne, I'm 37 and have limited walking abilities, (some days are

way better than others) I also use an electric/manual wheelchair,a walker,or

nothing. It just depends on the day and where I am or more importantly where I

need to go. I've been married for 13 years and have three children. You have a

lot of great questions feel free to email me privately if you want, but I will

try to answer some of them here.

1. I don't think anyone can give you the year you will stop walking. Exercise

and keeping your weight down will help. For me, fatigue is a huge issue.

2. Yes, you can have children. If your partner is a carrier you have a 50%

chance of having a child with SMA. There are also very rare cases of SMA. Your

partner can be tested through a genetic counselor and they can inform you of

your risks. I was also afraid that someone would tell me not to have children

so I did not do all the planning I should have. I regret that decision. If a

doctor or any other medical personal tells you not to have a child. Find a new

doctor.

The weight gain during the pregnancies was terrible for me. PT and a walker

would have helped. I had both a c-section and VBACS. In retrospect, I would

choose planned c-sections. I bounced back from the first pregnancy but did feel

weaker after the second. Maybe that was bound to happen anyway.

I have seen modified cribs made for disabled mothers on the web but there are

other brands that could work also. It will depend on your strength level to

determine what works best for you. I could go on and on about parenting with a

disability.

3. Honesty

Good Luck with everything.

Suzanne

>

> Hello Everyone,

>

> I am new to this group and I'm hoping to learn from other in this group about

> My family consist of a younger biological sister and younger biological

brother, with three step-brothers (one passed away two years ago this March of

Duchene MD) and two step- sisters. My biological siblings are both diagnosed

with SMA Type 3. My brother hasn't walked since he was 3 and my sister has

become considerably weaker, using her chair more in the last three years. My

Fiance also has a daughter from a pervious marriage (Madison, 4 in April).

> Some concerns that have been on my mind recently:

> 1. Walking, how long will I be able to walk? Is there an age where I'll stop

> 2. Children, Am I able to have children of my own? Will they end up with SMA

shouldn't have kids.

> 3. Relationships, How do I help my fiance help me? How do I help him to

> So that's all I can think of right at this point, I'm sure there is more or

even topics I haven't even thought of already discussed. Thanks for anyone who

comments!

>

> Sincerely,

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Welcome to the group!

There is an organization called Through the Looking Glass that assists both

parents with disabilities and parents of children with disabilities with

parenting issues and resources.

http://www.lookingglass.org/

Alana

Type II, Age 44

Berkeley, CA

>

>> I have seen modified cribs made for disabled mothers on the web but there are

other brands that could work also. It will depend on your strength level to

determine what works best for you. I could go on and on about parenting with a

disability.

>

>