RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

New here

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Welcome! Take a spin through the files and links pages of our home page as well as searching the archives - there are treasures in there :-)

Blessings,Lea Ann SavageSatellite Beach, FL(321) 773-7088 (home)(321-961-9219 (cell)))><'>www.VitamixLady.comwww..com<:)))><

New Here

I am new to the group. My Vitamix should be arriving today! I am so excited. I have done my homework and am excited about the possibilities this machine has to offer. My husband has cancer, eatting healthy is important to us, so I am anxious to see what all I can do with this machine. I have so many recipes I have found that I want to try, I don't know which to do first lol

I am looking forward to learning from you all.

Barb

Guest guest

Bess,

Congratulations on your son! I'm sure you are anxiously awaiting his arrival.

My daughter started casting at 2 years old, and although she is not getting

correction her curve the cast is keeping her curve from getting worse, so she

will not need immediate surgery. I would contact one of the Shriners Hospitals

that does casting and tell them your story. If they can't do anyting now,

they'll definitely be able to help once your son is here. Also, he will need an

MRI to determine if it is really congenital scoliosis. Have you joined the

group for congenital scoliosis? They may have additional recommendations.

mom to Audrey, 4th cast, SLC

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has been

diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and I don't

know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show no " abnormal

vertebrae " -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other abnormalities.) Unfortunately,

he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so even though he has been examined by

a good doctor at an international hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to

start any treatment for some time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be

able to follow the casting route.

>

> Is there anyone here who started using a cast when the child was 18 months

old, or older?

>

> I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have news on

the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed since he went

to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.

>

> Thanks very much for this great resources,

> Bess

>

Guest guest

Welcome,

My daughter has congenital scoliosis. If there are no signs of a bone malformation on the x-ray, I'd be asking why they think it is congential scoliosis vs. idiopathic. I'm sure you know this, but that is the difference between the two. One happens "just because" or "no known cause" and the other (congenital) is a bone malformation, which would have occurred before birth.

We started casting my daughter following her hemi being removed 9/09. She had just turned 3 at the time of the surgery and casted for almost 8 months. Then took a 6 mo brace break (in order to do some other diagnosing for other issues) and will be going back to a cast this coming Monday. So at least with our doctor, he is still willing to cast even tho she's older, as long as she appears to be flexible and we are seeing correction.

As someone else said, I would get going on the application process for a Shriner's and see what it will take to get him set up for an MRI soon after his arrival. An MRI will tell you for sure what kind of scoliosis he has, although it alone can't tell you if its progressing.

Hope that helps and please feel free to ask anything.

Jane

From: "bessrattray@..." <bessrny@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tue, December 14, 2010 5:40:02 AMSubject: new here

Hi Everyone,I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has been diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and I don't know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show no "abnormal vertebrae" -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other abnormalities.) Unfortunately, he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so even though he has been examined by a good doctor at an international hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to start any treatment for some time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be able to follow the casting route.Is there anyone here who started using a cast when the child was 18 months old, or older?I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have news on the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed since he went to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.Thanks very much for this great

resources,Bess

Guest guest

Hi Bess,Welcome to CAST! My son Bex was 19 months old when we started casting. My advice would be to line up the appointments for just after your precious child arrives, just in case. Get in touch with the closest doctor to you who is Mehta trained and ask to schedule an initial exam (and MRI if needed,) you can always cancel it, but it's good to get it on the books to avoid weeks or months of more waiting and potential progressing of the curve (s). The younger proper casting is begun and the lower the curve the better, in general, but you can get amazing results and often avoid any surgeries like we likely (hopefully) will.You can read Bexon's Story on my blog www.GirltoMom.com if you're interested, just click on the link

at the top of the home page. Hopefully your child will self resolve, but if not this is the right place to get advice and support! Heidi, Bexon's Mommy, (3 years old, in 8th cast from Salt Lake City Shriners, currently down from 62 degrees to 20 in cast. You can read Bexon's Story on www.GirltoMom.com)From: "bessrattray@..." <bessrny@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tue,

December 14, 2010 5:40:02 AMSubject: new here

Hi Everyone,

I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has been diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and I don't know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show no "abnormal vertebrae" -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other abnormalities.) Unfortunately, he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so even though he has been examined by a good doctor at an international hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to start any treatment for some time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be able to follow the casting route.

Is there anyone here who started using a cast when the child was 18 months old, or older?

I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have news on the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed since he went to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.

Thanks very much for this great resources,

Bess

Guest guest

Welcome to CAST, Bess & congrats on the upcoming adoption of your little

son. There are many on CAST that have had their children in a series of

EDF casts under 2, so others are sure to chime in. You have come to a

great place for gathering solid info on EDF casting & scoliosis. Heres to

good news tomorrow, please keep us posted.

HRH

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has

> been diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and

> I don't know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show

> no " abnormal vertebrae " -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other

> abnormalities.) Unfortunately, he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so

> even though he has been examined by a good doctor at an international

> hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to start any treatment for some

> time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be able to follow the

> casting route.

>

> old, or older?

>

> I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have

> news on the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed

> since he went to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.

>

> Bess

>

>

>

Guest guest

THANK YOU SO MUCH, everyone! It's very encouraging to have access to so much

knowledge and experience! I hope I will have some more information today (about

why it was initially diagnosed as " congenital " and what the curve is, etc). I'll

definitely take all your advice to phone Shriner's ASAP! best regards, Bess

>

> Hi Everyone,

>

> I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has been

diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and I don't

know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show no " abnormal

vertebrae " -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other abnormalities.) Unfortunately,

he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so even though he has been examined by

a good doctor at an international hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to

start any treatment for some time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be

able to follow the casting route.

>

old, or older?

>

> I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have news on

the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed since he went

to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.

>

> Bess

>

Guest guest

Hello Bess!

I am new to this support group as well, and have a daughter who was diagnosed in July 2010 with a 53* curve, she is 4. She wore a TLSO (removable) brace from August 16 until Dec.10 when she got her first cast on. She measured 41* before the cast and 22* in the cast! She has no syndromes or deformities of any kind, just a healthy little girl with late infantile idiopathic scoliosis. We are very hopeful and are relying on our faith for her to be healed and believe she will never need surgery. We also have a wonderful Dr here in MSP who is hoping she will not need surgery as well! We know we are in great hands and are believing in miracles this Christmas Season!

Best of luck-

ne - mommy to Jadyn Marie (4)

From: bessrattray@... <bessrny@...>Subject: new hereinfantile scoliosis treatment Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 7:40 AM

Hi Everyone,I'm in the process of adopting a 14-month-old boy from Ethiopia, who has been diagnosed with congenital scoliosis. I don't know the curve yet, and I don't know if it's progressing yet, either. (I do know that X-rays show no "abnormal vertebrae" -- no hemi vertebrae -- and no other abnormalities.) Unfortunately, he won't be home for another 4-6 months, so even though he has been examined by a good doctor at an international hospital in Ethiopia, he won't be able to start any treatment for some time yet. I'm trying to be optimistic that we'll be able to follow the casting route.Is there anyone here who started using a cast when the child was 18 months old, or older?I'm expecting more news from the doctors on Wednesday. We hope to have news on the degree of the curve, in particular, and any changes observed since he went to the Cure hospital for his first X-ray in September.Thanks very much for

this great resources,Bess

Guest guest

Welcome, I am your neighbor in the NW corner of Illinois! I am new, too! Look

forward to getting to know you!

Judy

>

> Hi everyone I just wanted to introduce myself. I have recently started to

listen to the podcast. I am a 29yr old woman I live in iowa and have about

70lbs to lose. my goals are to have more energy and to control my eating.

>

Guest guest

Hei Louanne,good luck to your son! this group is a wonderful thing, you can get many informations from parents, I got really big help and support from them. My son at age 20months had 31degrees curve and was put into cast for one year, after that he had Boston brace for another year. Now he has only 8degrees. Be well, greetings,

Magda, mother of Antoni (5years old)2011/2/22 lou.piccolo <lou.piccolo@...>

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and would like to introduce myself. I have a 6 year old son called who has congenital scoliosis with a 28% curve (am not sure how to talk about these terms in English as I am translating from French!)and we live in France. He'll be put in a cast on the 11 April for a month and then will have to wear a Milwaukee brace at night.

I'm really happy to have found this support group and look forward to meeting you all.

Louanne

-- Magdalena Jasinska-NurmelaNorkkokuja 2B 20, 00360 Vantaa, FinlandGSM 00358 505 717 292

Guest guest

Hi Heidi Lee -

I am your twin LOL! I am 43 (live in Washington and single though) and have an 18 yr old son, have around 100 or more lbs to lose

Good luck on your plan. I tried WW a couple of years ago and got crazy with the counting. Who knows, may consider giving them a try again, but I do better watching what I eat and exercising LOL!

New Here

Hello,

I just joined your group so wanted to introduce myself. I'm Heidi Lee from Vermont. I'll be 43 this may. I'm married and have one child, my 18 yr. old daughter. I have about 100 lbs. to loose and at the moment trying to do the new weight watchers points plus plan. I went to their meetings for a few weeks to get their new book and get back on track but can't afford to go long term so I'm doing the ww plan at home. Honestly, I struggle daily with my eating not to over eat or eat unhealthy foods.

Thanks for letting me join your group Hugs

Heidi Lee

Guest guest

Hi Heidi, and welcome to the group! There are others here doing WW, so I am sure they can be supportive of the plan for you!

Sent: Sunday, February 27, 2011 8:05 AM

100-plus

Subject: New Here

Hello,I just joined your group so wanted to introduce myself. I'm Heidi Lee from Vermont. I'll be 43 this may. I'm married and have one child, my 18 yr. old daughter. I have about 100 lbs. to loose and at the moment trying to do the new weight watchers points plus plan. I went to their meetings for a few weeks to get their new book and get back on track but can't afford to go long term so I'm doing the ww plan at home. Honestly, I struggle daily with my eating not to over eat or eat unhealthy foods. Thanks for letting me join your group Hugs Heidi Lee------------------------------------

Guest guest

Hi Heidi! My name is Stacey. I live with my dh 5 kids in the Middle east. My dh is an English teacher at a university here. I'm 35. I started this journey at 304lbs. I'd gotten down to 284 but have had a few bad days in a row. gotta get back on track stay there. StaceySent from my BlackBerry® wireless device from STCFrom: "Heidi Lee" <tlfhlf@...>Sender: 100-plus Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 14:05:31 -0000<100-plus >Reply 100-plus Subject: New Here Hello,I just joined your group so wanted to introduce myself. I'm Heidi Lee from Vermont. I'll be 43 this may. I'm married and have one child, my 18 yr. old daughter. I have about 100 lbs. to loose and at the moment trying to do the new weight watchers points plus plan. I went to their meetings for a few weeks to get their new book and get back on track but can't afford to go long term so I'm doing the ww plan at home. Honestly, I struggle daily with my eating not to over eat or eat unhealthy foods.Thanks for letting me join your group HugsHeidi Lee

Guest guest

Yes, that is one of the qualifications for the diagnosis. My son has many social impairments...or many areas of concern. (Calling out in class, can't take turns, doesn't understand where anyone else is coming from/ why they would feel any differently than he feels), etc etc etc....

From: jjjkskeeter <westsidelumberco@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Tue, March 1, 2011 7:12:53 PMSubject: new here

I am new here and have a 9 year old boy. My first question is do all children with Aspergers have some sort of social impairment?Thanks,

Guest guest

Yes, that is one of the qualifications for the diagnosis. My son has many social impairments...or many areas of concern. (Calling out in class, can't take turns, doesn't understand where anyone else is coming from/ why they would feel any differently than he feels), etc etc etc....

From: jjjkskeeter <westsidelumberco@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Tue, March 1, 2011 7:12:53 PMSubject: new here

I am new here and have a 9 year old boy. My first question is do all children with Aspergers have some sort of social impairment?Thanks,

Guest guest

I have a 12 year old boy with. That he has aspi and he has some social problems.Sent from myTouch 4G----- Reply message -----From: " jjjkskeeter " <westsidelumberco@...><Autism and Aspergers Treatment >Subject: new hereDate: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 5:12 pm I am new here and have a 9 year old boy. My first question is do all children with Aspergers have some sort of social impairment?Thanks,

Guest guest

Hello and welcome .

I think all aspergers kids have some sort of social imipairment, but some much more than others. My son is 13 most people think he is very social. However, he has told me that it is hard for him because he often has to "act" when he is around certain kids. I have been running a daycare in my home since before he was born so he's had the benefit of being in a house full of kids all his life which I think has led to him learning a few more social skills than others. But I also think it's mostly an act that he has learned. On the weekends, after a week of school, he very rarely wants to hang out with anyone, he really needs his alone time where he doesn't have to act, he can just be himself.

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- new here

Guest guest

Hi,

jennifer. Welcome. It’s a shame that the person who diagnosed your son

didn’t sufficiently explain the diagnosis to you and all of its

implications (some wonderful and some very challenging). I would definitely

recommend that you return to that clinician and ask him/her to spend time with

you discussing the next steps for you and your child. Now that you have a

diagnosis, what’s the plan? You might want to read Tony Attwood’s

book for parents and professionals. It’s a very good introduction and he

is an outstanding clinician.

Best

of luck.

Debbie

Sasson, PsyD

Director,

Camp Akeela

www.campakeela.com

(866)

680-4744

Guest guest

Hello I am new here too...

I have to agree with , I have 2 Aspies one is 18 and a Senior in Highschool he has just learned in the past 3 years how to " act " for the social scene but he still isn't as social as the other kids his age.  He does very well during the week but in the evenings and on the weekends he really just keeps to himself except when we do things as a family.  I will say that he has come LEAPS and BOUNDS over the last few years though and he even has a girlfriend.

My 11 year old 5th grade aspie has lots and lots of friends but they are ALL younger than him by about 2 years.  He just relates to them better.  He still has MANY social skills to work on but we ARE working on them.  He really WANTS to relate to kids his own age and sometimes he will try to (he does ALOT OF ACTING) but he just doesn't " fit in " with them.  This causes him alot of anxiety at school (because kids are mean) and so starts another issue of not wanting to go to school... I will say it is a battle BUT it is worth it to fight for them because the end results are amazing!

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM, & Godfrey <wmgodfrey@...> wrote:

Hello and welcome .

I think all aspergers kids have some sort of social imipairment, but some much more than others. My son is 13 most people think he is very social. However, he has told me that it is hard for him because he often has to  " act " when he is around certain kids.  I have been running a daycare in my home since before he was born so he's had the benefit of being in a house full of kids all his life which I think has led to him learning a few more social skills than others. But I also think it's mostly an act that he has learned.  On the weekends, after a week of school, he very rarely wants to hang out with anyone, he really needs his alone time where he doesn't have to act, he can just be himself.

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- new here

--

Era Kay Hill

832-775-4452

erakay.hill@...

Guest guest

My son tries to socialize with others his age, around the area where we live. It is hard for him because the other kids have been told to stay away, their parents have told them this. I don't like that. He does do well with the kids in his classroom at school. Later, KIm

Hello and welcome .

I think all aspergers kids have some sort of social imipairment, but some much more than others. My son is 13 most people think he is very social. However, he has told me that it is hard for him because he often has to "act" when he is around certain kids. I have been running a daycare in my home since before he was born so he's had the benefit of being in a house full of kids all his life which I think has led to him learning a few more social skills than others. But I also think it's mostly an act that he has learned. On the weekends, after a week of school, he very rarely wants to hang out with anyone, he really needs his alone time where he doesn't have to act, he can just be himself.

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- new here

--

Era Kay Hill

832-775-4452

erakay.hill@...

Guest guest

I agree with you, I believe they do have some kind of social impairment. Thats what we were told. Later, KimFrom: & Godfrey <wmgodfrey@...>Subject: Re: new hereAutism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 4:22 AM

Hello and welcome .

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- new here

Guest guest

Same here, but mine is 9 years old. He has the same problem. Later, KimFrom: jehphw78@... <jehphw78@...>Subject: Re: new hereAutism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 3:13 AM

I have a 12 year old boy with. That he has aspi and he has some social problems.Sent from myTouch 4G----- Reply message -----From: "jjjkskeeter" <westsidelumberco@...><Autism and Aspergers Treatment >Subject: new hereDate: Tue, Mar 1, 2011 5:12 pm

I am new here and have a 9 year old boy. My first question is do all children with Aspergers have some sort of social impairment?

Thanks,

Guest guest

My 9 year old son, he learns different, he is in a special class, it is good for him, he has learned so much. He is growing everyday. He does socialize with the people at his school, he does well with that. He is shy around the neighborhood where we live. He does play by himself, and we do go on outtings with him, play games with him. Later, KimFrom: R. Tucker <srt12780@...>Subject: Re: new hereAutism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 12:21 AM

Guest guest

I was told when my son was diagnosed in kindergarten that he would have a social impairment, and he does, he has gotten better, since he is in a special class, around kids similiar to his disability. He is also 9. Later, KimFrom: jjjkskeeter <westsidelumberco@...>Subject: new hereAutism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 12:12 AM

I am new here and have a 9 year old boy. My first question is do all children with Aspergers have some sort of social impairment?

Thanks,

Guest guest

Hello, h, and welcome! What part of TX are you in? So glad you joined us, and worry not-we will make a pro out of you in mere days! From: lindahiesermann <lindahsrman@...>Subject: New here Date: Sunday, March 27, 2011, 10:32 PM

I have a Vita Mix for years and one of those people who have been afrad to use it grrrrrrrr lol it is new. I bought a book on Ebay that is used at shows thinking I might really get some good rescipes.The reps make such good things for us to taste,it is just me and hubbie now,boys are gone now.Hope I get some good ideas here from everyone

lindah in Texas