RemedySpot.com
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Iron

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In a message dated 17/08/2005 18:18:55 GMT Standard Time, jamkaye@...

writes:

lactoferrin binds unfriendly bacteria by binding iron, would putting more

iron into your body cause more unfriendly bacteria to increase or would it act

in an opposite way? joyce kaye

What i would suggest you test the theory - take lactoferin and see if you

feel a difference - i did immediately!!!

Guest guest

There is no natural way to get rid of the excess iron . You have to have phlebotomies( blood removed) to remove it . Iron overload is a side effect of liver disease , it can cause damage to the heart , kidneys and can cause further damage the the liver . I myself have the same problems , I have been having phlebotomies for the last 2 months . Iron overload can also decrease your odds of responding to treatment , and it can also cause a relapse of the virus . Your doctor should also do TIBC, Serum ferritin , and %saturation levels done . Recent studies show that if your on the treatment for hepatitis c you would respond better if the excess iron was removed . Hope this info helps ya a little

Iron

Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron suddenlywent up to 180 and has been staying there for the last2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at leastin the past year I have measured it. Is the fact thatit is elevated associated with the degree of damage tothe liver. All other iron-related measures are normal.Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves thebody and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?Thank you. __________________________________ - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 http://mail.

Guest guest

Thank you. I think all those things were checked and

are normal. I wonder why my iron jumped so high and so

fast?

--- elizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote:

> There is no natural way to get rid of the excess

> iron . You have to have phlebotomies( blood removed)

> to remove it . Iron overload is a side effect of

> liver disease , it can cause damage to the heart ,

> kidneys and can cause further damage the the liver .

> I myself have the same problems , I have been having

> phlebotomies for the last 2 months . Iron overload

> can also decrease your odds of responding to

> treatment , and it can also cause a relapse of the

> virus . Your doctor should also do TIBC, Serum

> ferritin , and %saturation levels done . Recent

> studies show that if your on the treatment for

> hepatitis c you would respond better if the excess

> iron was removed . Hope this info helps ya a little

> Iron

>

>

> Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron

> suddenly

> went up to 180 and has been staying there for the

> last

> 2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at

> least

> in the past year I have measured it. Is the fact

> that

> it is elevated associated with the degree of

> damage to

> the liver. All other iron-related measures are

> normal.

> Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves the

> body and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?

>

> Thank you.

>

>

>

>

> __________________________________

> - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

> http://mail.

>

>

> It's a pleasure having you join in our

> conversations. We hope you have found the support

> you need with us.

>

> If you are using email for your posts, for easy

> access to our group, just click the link--

> Hepatitis C/

>

> Happy Posting

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

More than likely it is liver related , something triggered it . Mine went up overnight and has been high since then . As of today my iron level is 630 and that is after 5 phlebotomy sessions . A hepatologist could tell you why it goes up all of a sudden , I dont know the exact things that happen to make it jump . I do know that if your iron is going up then it needs to be stopped before it can cause damage to other organs . Iron overload can kill .

Iron> > > Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron> suddenly> went up to 180 and has been staying there for the> last> 2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at> least> in the past year I have measured it. Is the fact> that> it is elevated associated with the degree of> damage to> the liver. All other iron-related measures are> normal.> Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves the> body and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?> > Thank you.> > > > > __________________________________ > - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 > http://mail.> > > It's a pleasure having you join in our> conversations. We hope you have found the support> you need with us. > > If you are using email for your posts, for easy> access to our group, just click the link--> Hepatitis C/> > Happy Posting > > > >

Guest guest

>

> > There is no natural way to get rid of the excess

> > iron . You have to have phlebotomies( blood removed)

> > to remove it . Iron overload is a side effect of

> > liver disease , it can cause damage to the heart ,

> > kidneys and can cause further damage the the liver .

> > I myself have the same problems , I have been having

> > phlebotomies for the last 2 months . Iron overload

> > can also decrease your odds of responding to

> > treatment , and it can also cause a relapse of the

> > virus . Your doctor should also do TIBC, Serum

> > ferritin , and %saturation levels done . Recent

> > studies show that if your on the treatment for

> > hepatitis c you would respond better if the excess

> > iron was removed . Hope this info helps ya a little

> > Iron

> >

> >

> > Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron

> > suddenly

> > went up to 180 and has been staying there for the

> > last

> > 2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at

> > least

> > in the past year I have measured it. Is the fact

> > that

> > it is elevated associated with the degree of

> > damage to

> > the liver. All other iron-related measures are

> > normal.

> > Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves the

> > body and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?

> >

> > Thank you.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > __________________________________

> > - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005

> > http://mail.

> >

> >

> > It's a pleasure having you join in our

> > conversations. We hope you have found the support

> > you need with us.

> >

> > If you are using email for your posts, for easy

> > access to our group, just click the link--

> > Hepatitis C/

> >

> > Happy Posting

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

I don't know for sure but I've been told that people who have a genetic tendency for hemochromatosis may have their iron elevate from the hep virus. I do know that your iron should be under control before you start treatment as it will interfere with a favorable response to interferon as well as possibly causing more fibrosis.

Iron> > > > > > Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron> > suddenly> > went up to 180 and has been staying there for the> > last> > 2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at> > least> > in the past year I have measured it. Is the fact> > that> > it is elevated associated with the degree of> > damage to> > the liver. All other iron-related measures are> > normal.> > Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves the> > body and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?> > > > Thank you.> > > > > > > > > > __________________________________ > > - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 > > http://mail.> > > > > > It's a pleasure having you join in our> > conversations. We hope you have found the support> > you need with us. > > > > If you are using email for your posts, for easy> > access to our group, just click the link--> > Hepatitis C/> > > > Happy Posting > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

What a puzzle , has the doctor offered you any explanation as to what could cause it ?

Iron> > > > > > Does anyone have a good info on iron? My iron> > suddenly> > went up to 180 and has been staying there for the> > last> > 2 months. It has always been around 60 - 100, at> > least> > in the past year I have measured it. Is the fact> > that> > it is elevated associated with the degree of> > damage to> > the liver. All other iron-related measures are> > normal.> > Does anyone know how to measure if iron leaves the> > body and how to get rid of excess iron naturally?> > > > Thank you.> > > > > > > > > > __________________________________ > > - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005 > > http://mail.> > > > > > It's a pleasure having you join in our> > conversations. We hope you have found the support> > you need with us. > > > > If you are using email for your posts, for easy> > access to our group, just click the link--> > Hepatitis C/> > > > Happy Posting > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that

B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said

that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another

place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.

I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that

B vitamins make iron more usable.

Pete

Guest guest

One of the doctors I saw mentioned tea as well.

--- brain_child846 <peter_tocco@...> wrote:

> I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of

> your system, and that

> B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body.

> Someone here said

> that there is no natural way to remove iron from the

> body. Another

> place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from

> the body.

>

> I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can

> leach iron. Or that

> B vitamins make iron more usable.

>

> Pete

>

>

>

>

FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.

http://farechase.

Guest guest

Here is the results of a study done to see if tea help reduce iron absorption in the intestines . But this study was done on healthy patients who had the genetic form or iron overload so I dont know how accurate it would be for someone like me who has iron overload from hep c . Anyway here is the study discussion

Discussion

Top Abstract Introduction Materials and methods Results Discussion References

The inhibitory effect of tannates of vegetable origin on intestinal iron absorption has been shown in various studies.6 7 9 Black tea in particular, a commonly used beverage, has been shown by Disler10 and others7 11-13 to reduce the uptake of iron from various sources of inorganic iron by about two thirds as compared with water intake.

In this study we confirmed the inhibitory effect of black tea on intestinal iron absorption in patients with genetic haemochromatosis. All previous studies were carried out on healthy subjects or patients with refractory anaemia. To our knowledge no studies on patients with GH have so far been published. At the beginning of this study, all patients clinically manifested iron overload. The state of inheritance (homozygosity/heterozygosity) was investigated by pedigree analysis whenever possible. Thus subjects 1.2 and 1.1 and 2.8 and 1.9 are fathers and sons, and 2.5 and 2.6 are mother and son respectively. All ten patients who could be investigated for the HFE gene, available for determination only after termination of the study, were homozygous for the C282Y mutation. In addition, in all subjects the clinical expression of the gene defect could be shown by an increase in V14.7 at the beginning of the study (table 2). These findings are supported by the amount of increased mobilisable storage iron at the time of diagnosis (table 1), as well as by the reaccumulation of storage iron during the observation period, especially in those patients who did not drink tea (fig 4).

The brand of tea used in the study was selected for the highest tannin content possible. To help patients comply with the protocol of the long term study, preparation time did not exceed common practice. In addition, the taste of the tea was made as acceptable and pleasant as possible. According to German custom, a Ceylon brand (a particular sort of "Wewesse Ceylon Broken") and five minutes extraction time were recommended to the patients. As shown in fig 1, a five minute preparation time results in about 90% yield of the extractable polyphenols. This protocol was well accepted by the participants, and all patients assigned to the tea drinking group were happy to continue with tea drinking during meals after termination of the study.

The significant inhibitory effect of tea on iron absorption, as shown in table 2, is in broad agreement with data from other investigations.7 10 11 13 There is evidence that the polyphenol content of tea or other food is a major determinant of the inhibitory effect on non-haem iron absorption.9 29 This agrees with the observation that the inhibitory effect is seen only with black tea and not with Japanese green tea.30

Polyphenols are assumed to act by binding heavy metals in the gastrointestinal lumen.31 This is confirmed by our study, as we showed that, despite the significant reduction in iron absorption, mucosal transfer remained unchanged. The values for V14.7 remained the same (table 2) whether the test meal was given with or without tea. The increase in mucosal transfer (V14.7) over that in healthy subjects shows that the defect in iron absorption due to haemochromatosis is still present. Consequently, the observed reduction in iron absorption caused by tea in haemochromatosis can be attributed to luminal binding of iron to the polyphenols.

Because of the ability of polyphenols in black tea to convert dietary non-haem iron into a form unavailable for absorption, it seems reasonable to utilise this common beverage to reduce iron uptake and accumulation in iron overload syndromes, as has already been suggested by De Alarcon et al.11 Whereas the inhibitory effect of tea on non-haem iron absorption has clearly been shown in single dose experiments, the prolonged action on iron balance with respect to the frequency of iron deficiency has so far only been investigated in healthy infants.32 In our study, the effect of regular tea drinking during meals on accumulation of storage iron in patients with GH was studied.

The drinking of tea with main meals is not common in Germany. Therefore the study patients were carefully advised on how to prepare and use the selected brand of tea. Since iron accumulation in patients with GH is a slow but perpetual process, the effect of tea on accumulation of storage iron was investigated by a controlled prospective study carried out for a period of one year. The initial iron status of both groups (tea and non-tea drinkers) was comparable (table 1). As a result of the venesections performed between the two iron absorption tests and the beginning of the observation period (fig 1), the body iron status of all patients was low normal.

As could be expected, haemoglobin concentrations were almost constant throughout the study. Saturation of TIBC showed an early increase during the first three months in the control group, as is usually observed in the post-phlebotomy phase33 (fig 3). In contrast, in the tea drinking group, there was a much slower increase in iron saturation of TIBC during the first six months of the study (fig 3).

In the second half of the study course, mean values of saturation of TIBC for the two groups were mostly identical at a level exceeding 60%that is, an increase in storage iron could be predicted for both groups. In fact, serum ferritin, measured as a non-invasive index of iron stores, showed an increase in both groups, but the slope was different (fig 3). From the slope factors of the above calculated regression functions, it could be concluded that the mean increase in serum ferritin in the control group is about 50% higher than in the tea drinking group. Assuming a relation between serum ferritin and amount of storage iron of 8 mg Fe per µg/l serum ferritin,28 34 for the control group a storage iron increase of 145 mg Fe per month and in the tea drinking group of 97 mg Fe per month could be calculated. However, the repeat phlebotomy showed a mean increase in mobilised storage iron of only 105 and 69 mg per month for the control and tea drinking group respectively (fig 4). This difference between calculated and observed increase in storage iron may be partly due to a change in the assumed storage iron to serum ferritin ratio in iron overloaded patients.17

CONCLUSIONS From the data presented it is evident that regular tea drinking with meals reduces storage iron reaccumulation in patients with genetic haemochromatosis, but to a smaller extent than could be expected from studies on single doses. Statistical significance was not reached in this study. Nevertheless, drinking of tea with meals can be recommended as an additional therapeutic tool for the maintenance of normal body iron status in pretreated genetic haemochromatosis. It should, however, be remembered that, even with regular tea drinking, phlebotomies are still required, but with reduced frequency. The use of higher doses of polyphenolic compounds than those used in this study is possible, but the usefulness of this approach may be limited by side effects and also taste, reducing patient compliance with the recommended regimenthat is, lifelong daily use.

Re: Iron

I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.Pete

Guest guest

Hi I have never heard this but Ill do some research and find out,, yes,, iron is NOT good for us ,, especially when we have hep c,, we all need some but dont need it stored in our tissues,, hugs, jaxbrain_child846 <peter_tocco@...> wrote: I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.Pete Jackie

Guest guest

I can't read the very small text well, but reducing absorbtion is not the

same thing as reducing serum or other iron build up. If iron is high then

its not the absorbtion that needs to be addressed, but the iron that's in

the system. Best way to do that is taking out blood. Menstruating women do

that during the month, but not enough to be theraputic in an overload

Sally

Re: Re: Iron

Here is the results of a study done to see if tea help reduce iron

absorption in the intestines . But this study was done on healthy patients

who had the genetic form or iron overload so I dont know how accurate it

would be for someone like me who has iron overload from hep c . Anyway here

is the study discussion

Discussion Top

Abstract

Introduction

Materials and methods

Results

Discussion

References

The inhibitory effect of tannates of vegetable origin on intestinal iron

absorption has been shown in various studies.6 7 9 Black tea in particular,

a commonly used beverage, has been shown by Disler10 and others7 11-13 to

reduce the uptake of iron from various sources of inorganic iron by about

two thirds as compared with water intake.

In this study we confirmed the inhibitory effect of black tea on intestinal

iron absorption in patients with genetic haemochromatosis. All previous

studies were carried out on healthy subjects or patients with refractory

anaemia. To our knowledge no studies on patients with GH have so far been

published. At the beginning of this study, all patients clinically

manifested iron overload. The state of inheritance

(homozygosity/heterozygosity) was investigated by pedigree analysis whenever

possible. Thus subjects 1.2 and 1.1 and 2.8 and 1.9 are fathers and sons,

and 2.5 and 2.6 are mother and son respectively. All ten patients who could

be investigated for the HFE gene, available for determination only after

termination of the study, were homozygous for the C282Y mutation. In

addition, in all subjects the clinical expression of the gene defect could

be shown by an increase in V14.7 at the beginning of the study (table 2).

These findings are supported by the amount of increased mobilisable storage

iron at the time of diagnosis (table 1), as well as by the reaccumulation of

storage iron during the observation period, especially in those patients who

did not drink tea (fig 4).

The brand of tea used in the study was selected for the highest tannin

content possible. To help patients comply with the protocol of the long term

study, preparation time did not exceed common practice. In addition, the

taste of the tea was made as acceptable and pleasant as possible. According

to German custom, a Ceylon brand (a particular sort of " Wewesse Ceylon

Broken " ) and five minutes extraction time were recommended to the patients.

As shown in fig 1, a five minute preparation time results in about 90% yield

of the extractable polyphenols. This protocol was well accepted by the

participants, and all patients assigned to the tea drinking group were happy

to continue with tea drinking during meals after termination of the study.

The significant inhibitory effect of tea on iron absorption, as shown in

table 2, is in broad agreement with data from other investigations.7 10 11

13 There is evidence that the polyphenol content of tea or other food is a

major determinant of the inhibitory effect on non-haem iron absorption.9 29

This agrees with the observation that the inhibitory effect is seen only

with black tea and not with Japanese green tea.30

Polyphenols are assumed to act by binding heavy metals in the

gastrointestinal lumen.31 This is confirmed by our study, as we showed that,

despite the significant reduction in iron absorption, mucosal transfer

remained unchanged. The values for V14.7 remained the same (table 2) whether

the test meal was given with or without tea. The increase in mucosal

transfer (V14.7) over that in healthy subjects shows that the defect in iron

absorption due to haemochromatosis is still present. Consequently, the

observed reduction in iron absorption caused by tea in haemochromatosis can

be attributed to luminal binding of iron to the polyphenols.

Because of the ability of polyphenols in black tea to convert dietary

non-haem iron into a form unavailable for absorption, it seems reasonable to

utilise this common beverage to reduce iron uptake and accumulation in iron

overload syndromes, as has already been suggested by De Alarcon et al.11

Whereas the inhibitory effect of tea on non-haem iron absorption has clearly

been shown in single dose experiments, the prolonged action on iron balance

with respect to the frequency of iron deficiency has so far only been

investigated in healthy infants.32 In our study, the effect of regular tea

drinking during meals on accumulation of storage iron in patients with GH

was studied.

The drinking of tea with main meals is not common in Germany. Therefore the

study patients were carefully advised on how to prepare and use the selected

brand of tea. Since iron accumulation in patients with GH is a slow but

perpetual process, the effect of tea on accumulation of storage iron was

investigated by a controlled prospective study carried out for a period of

one year. The initial iron status of both groups (tea and non-tea drinkers)

was comparable (table 1). As a result of the venesections performed between

the two iron absorption tests and the beginning of the observation period

(fig 1), the body iron status of all patients was low normal.

As could be expected, haemoglobin concentrations were almost constant

throughout the study. Saturation of TIBC showed an early increase during the

first three months in the control group, as is usually observed in the

post-phlebotomy phase33 (fig 3). In contrast, in the tea drinking group,

there was a much slower increase in iron saturation of TIBC during the first

six months of the study (fig 3).

In the second half of the study course, mean values of saturation of TIBC

for the two groups were mostly identical at a level exceeding 60%that is, an

increase in storage iron could be predicted for both groups. In fact, serum

ferritin, measured as a non-invasive index of iron stores, showed an

increase in both groups, but the slope was different (fig 3). From the slope

factors of the above calculated regression functions, it could be concluded

that the mean increase in serum ferritin in the control group is about 50%

higher than in the tea drinking group. Assuming a relation between serum

ferritin and amount of storage iron of 8 mg Fe per µg/l serum ferritin,28 34

for the control group a storage iron increase of 145 mg Fe per month and in

the tea drinking group of 97 mg Fe per month could be calculated. However,

the repeat phlebotomy showed a mean increase in mobilised storage iron of

only 105 and 69 mg per month for the control and tea drinking group

respectively (fig 4). This difference between calculated and observed

increase in storage iron may be partly due to a change in the assumed

storage iron to serum ferritin ratio in iron overloaded patients.17

CONCLUSIONS

From the data presented it is evident that regular tea drinking with meals

reduces storage iron reaccumulation in patients with genetic

haemochromatosis, but to a smaller extent than could be expected from

studies on single doses. Statistical significance was not reached in this

study. Nevertheless, drinking of tea with meals can be recommended as an

additional therapeutic tool for the maintenance of normal body iron status

in pretreated genetic haemochromatosis. It should, however, be remembered

that, even with regular tea drinking, phlebotomies are still required, but

with reduced frequency.

The use of higher doses of polyphenolic compounds than those used in this

study is possible, but the usefulness of this approach may be limited by

side effects and also taste, reducing patient compliance with the

recommended regimenthat is, lifelong daily use.

I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that

B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said

that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another

place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.

I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that

B vitamins make iron more usable.

Pete

It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found

the support you need with us.

If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just

click the link-- Hepatitis C/

Happy Posting

Guest guest

I myself have phlebotomies every two weeks so they can try to get my iron under control before I start treatment . Personally I dont think tea or coffee helps cause I drink both but my iron levels are still sky high

Re: IronI heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.PeteIt's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have foundthe support you need with us. If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, justclick the link-- Hepatitis C/Happy Posting

Guest guest

Cool Post Liz, thanks for looking this up for us! love ya,, meelizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote: Here is the results of a study done to see if tea help reduce iron absorption in the intestines . But this study was done on healthy patients who had the genetic form or iron overload so I dont know how accurate it would be for someone like me who has iron overload from hep c . Anyway here is the study discussion Discussion Top Abstract Introduction Materials and methods Results Discussion References The inhibitory effect of tannates of vegetable origin on intestinal iron absorption has been shown in various studies.6 7 9 Black tea in particular, a commonly used beverage, has been shown by Disler10 and others7 11-13 to reduce the uptake of iron from

various sources of inorganic iron by about two thirds as compared with water intake. In this study we confirmed the inhibitory effect of black tea on intestinal iron absorption in patients with genetic haemochromatosis. All previous studies were carried out on healthy subjects or patients with refractory anaemia. To our knowledge no studies on patients with GH have so far been published. At the beginning of this study, all patients clinically manifested iron overload. The state of inheritance (homozygosity/heterozygosity) was investigated by pedigree analysis whenever possible. Thus subjects 1.2 and 1.1 and 2.8 and 1.9 are fathers and sons, and 2.5 and 2.6 are mother and son respectively. All ten patients who could be investigated for the HFE gene, available for determination only after termination of the study,

were homozygous for the C282Y mutation. In addition, in all subjects the clinical expression of the gene defect could be shown by an increase in V14.7 at the beginning of the study (table 2). These findings are supported by the amount of increased mobilisable storage iron at the time of diagnosis (table 1), as well as by the reaccumulation of storage iron during the observation period, especially in those patients who did not drink tea (fig 4). The brand of tea used in the study was selected for the highest tannin content possible. To help patients comply with the protocol of the long term study, preparation time did not exceed common practice. In addition,

the taste of the tea was made as acceptable and pleasant as possible. According to German custom, a Ceylon brand (a particular sort of "Wewesse Ceylon Broken") and five minutes extraction time were recommended to the patients. As shown in fig 1, a five minute preparation time results in about 90% yield of the extractable polyphenols. This protocol was well accepted by the participants, and all patients assigned to the tea drinking group were happy to continue with tea drinking during meals after termination of the study. The significant inhibitory effect of tea on iron absorption, as shown in table 2, is in broad agreement with data from other investigations.7 10 11 13 There is evidence that the polyphenol content of tea or other food is a major determinant of the inhibitory effect on non-haem iron absorption.9 29 This agrees with the observation that the inhibitory effect is seen only with black tea and not with Japanese green tea.30 Polyphenols are assumed to act by binding heavy metals in the gastrointestinal lumen.31 This is confirmed by our study, as we showed that, despite the significant reduction in iron absorption, mucosal transfer remained unchanged. The values for V14.7 remained the same (table 2) whether the test meal was given with or without tea. The increase in mucosal transfer (V14.7) over that in healthy subjects shows that the defect in iron absorption due to haemochromatosis is still present. Consequently, the observed reduction in iron absorption caused by tea in haemochromatosis can be attributed to luminal binding of iron to the polyphenols. Because of the ability of polyphenols in black tea to convert dietary non-haem iron into a form unavailable for absorption, it seems reasonable to

utilise this common beverage to reduce iron uptake and accumulation in iron overload syndromes, as has already been suggested by De Alarcon et al.11 Whereas the inhibitory effect of tea on non-haem iron absorption has clearly been shown in single dose experiments, the prolonged action on iron balance with respect to the frequency of iron deficiency has so far only been investigated in healthy infants.32 In our study, the effect of regular tea drinking during meals on accumulation of storage iron in patients with GH was studied. The drinking of tea with main meals is not common in Germany. Therefore the study patients were carefully advised on how to prepare and use the selected brand of tea.

Since iron accumulation in patients with GH is a slow but perpetual process, the effect of tea on accumulation of storage iron was investigated by a controlled prospective study carried out for a period of one year. The initial iron status of both groups (tea and non-tea drinkers) was comparable (table 1). As a result of the venesections performed between the two iron absorption tests and the beginning of the observation period (fig 1), the body iron status of all patients was low normal. As could be expected, haemoglobin concentrations were almost constant throughout the study. Saturation of TIBC showed an early increase during the first three months in the control group, as is usually observed in the post-phlebotomy phase33 (fig 3). In contrast, in the tea drinking group, there was a much slower increase in iron saturation of TIBC during the first six months of the study (fig 3). In the second half of the study course, mean values of saturation of TIBC for the two groups were mostly identical at a level exceeding 60%that is, an increase in storage iron could be predicted for both groups. In fact, serum ferritin, measured as a non-invasive index of iron stores, showed an increase in both groups, but the slope was different (fig 3). From the

slope factors of the above calculated regression functions, it could be concluded that the mean increase in serum ferritin in the control group is about 50% higher than in the tea drinking group. Assuming a relation between serum ferritin and amount of storage iron of 8 mg Fe per µg/l serum ferritin,28 34 for the control group a storage iron increase of 145 mg Fe per month and in the tea drinking group of 97 mg Fe per month could be calculated. However, the repeat phlebotomy showed a mean increase in mobilised storage iron of only 105 and 69 mg per month for the control and tea drinking group respectively (fig 4). This

difference between calculated and observed increase in storage iron may be partly due to a change in the assumed storage iron to serum ferritin ratio in iron overloaded patients.17 CONCLUSIONS From the data presented it is evident that regular tea drinking with meals reduces storage iron reaccumulation in patients with genetic haemochromatosis, but to a smaller extent than could be expected from studies on single doses. Statistical significance was not reached in this study. Nevertheless, drinking of tea with meals can be recommended as an additional therapeutic tool for the maintenance of normal body iron status in pretreated genetic haemochromatosis. It should, however, be remembered that, even with regular tea drinking,

phlebotomies are still required, but with reduced frequency. The use of higher doses of polyphenolic compounds than those used in this study is possible, but the usefulness of this approach may be limited by side effects and also taste, reducing patient compliance with the recommended regimenthat is, lifelong daily use. Re: Iron I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.PeteJackie

Guest guest

Well you know me Jackie , I have hundreds of stuff just waiting for people to use hehe. I forgot to call last night I fell asleep , rofl with my glasses on and boy does my nose hurt today

I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.PeteJackie

Guest guest

Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know. Brown

tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption. But as

Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the

blood.

Pete

Guest guest

Yup , and if its high then you have to have phlebotomies to remove it ..

Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know. Brown tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption. But as Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the blood. Pete

Guest guest

Pete, THERE IS A DIFFERENCE between Pernicious anemia and Hemolytic anemia so DONT go taking more folic acid without talking with your doc about it.. this is why some ppl get into serious problems thinking that if a little is good then more is better and that is NOT how our bodies work with supplements.. so please be careful hon... Folic Acid can only help your anemia IF its the pernicious kind and our treatment only causes the hemolytic anemia.. it wont help much if at all,, so more will not be better unless they have checked your folic acid levels and find they are low.. please be careful hon, this is why supplements can get a bad name,, its very involved, but some of the things you can do to help anemia would be wheatgrass juice ( fresh, tastes nasty) and procrit,, but in order for the procrit to work, you have to have some iron stores, I didnt and that is why the procrit didnt work as well as it could have but then I DID clear the virus and if you

have lots of stored iron, most dont clear.. its really a conundrum...lol. but be careful,, you can add more fresh fruits and vegies to your diet along with low fat protein to help,, I KNOW a lot of ppl on tx always say NO RED MEAT but there ARE some vitamins that one can ONLY get from red meat and small amounts are ok UNLESS you have trouble with ammonia and decompensation... but red meats can help your iron and anemia,, but you FIRST must talk with your doc, ok? let us know hugs honey,, and please dont feel like Im "chewing " you out,, IM NOT, I just want you to be safe and to clear this virus... and I have to say that Marcus is the ONLY ONE so far that I KNOW with geno1 who cleared on tx without using Milk Thistle,, lol,, sorry Marcus, but thats the truth as I KNOW it, haha hugs to you both, jaxbrain_child846 <peter_tocco@...> wrote: Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know. Brown tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption. But as Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the blood. Pete Jackie

Guest guest

OH MAN<< dont ya hate it when you do that?? poor nose,, Well Liz, you are a veritible collection of info, we love it,, I just wanted to say thank you for all you do to help us here,, its so appreciated by all of us! love you,, meelizabethnv1 <elizabethnv1@...> wrote: Well you know me Jackie , I have hundreds of stuff just waiting for people to use hehe. I forgot to call last night I fell asleep , rofl with my glasses on and boy does my nose hurt today Re: Iron I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another

place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.PeteJackie Jackie

Guest guest

Well I dont have a life , roflmao... besides this beats the crap outta sittin around feeling sorry for myself . luv ya hun

I heard that coffee or tea can leach iron out of your system, and that B vitamins can help make iron usable to the body. Someone here said that there is no natural way to remove iron from the body. Another place, I read that only 10% of iron is excreted from the body.I was wondering if anyone else heard that tea can leach iron. Or that B vitamins make iron more usable.PeteJackie Jackie

Guest guest

Hi Jackie Dhalin!!!

Hey where you said to Pete above:

>> " ...and I have to say that Marcus is the ONLY ONE so far that I

KNOW with geno 1 who cleared on tx without using Milk Thistle,,. " <<

A. How did Milk Thistle creep into the subject cuz I sure never

mentioned it.

and,

B. If I'm the ONLY ONE you know, youd better start geting out more

often and meeting more people! LOL! Tell to unchain you from

the Bed. HAHAHAAHAHAAHAHA

Now stop using my name in vein (get it: " vein " ?!) BWAA HAA HAA!

LOL! BIG HUGZ and Hope youre felling just wonderful after the

latest eye surgery. So happy fo You!!! Marcus

> Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know.

Brown

> tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption.

But as

> Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the

> blood.

>

> Pete

>

>

>

>

>

> It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you

have found the support you need with us.

>

> If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our

group, just click the link--

Hepatitis C/

>

> Happy Posting

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Well Marcus and I have spoken many times regarding herbs, vitamins and supplements and it just came up,, I was NOT taking your name in vain, believe me,, Marcus <marcuscal@...> wrote: Hi Jackie Dhalin!!!Hey where you said to Pete above: >>"...and I have to say that Marcus is the ONLY ONE so far that I KNOW with geno 1 who cleared on tx without using Milk Thistle,,." <<A. How did Milk Thistle creep into the subject cuz I sure never mentioned it.and, B. If I'm the ONLY ONE you know, youd better start geting out more often and meeting more people! LOL! Tell to unchain you from the Bed. HAHAHAAHAHAAHAHANow stop using my name in vein (get it: "vein"?!) BWAA HAA HAA!LOL! BIG HUGZ and Hope youre felling just wonderful after the latest

eye surgery. So happy fo You!!! Marcus> Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know. Brown > tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption. But as > Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the > blood. > > Pete> > > > > > It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you have found the support you need with us. > > If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our group, just click the link-- Hepatitis C/> > Happy Posting >

> > >

Guest guest

But Jax, you CAN use it " in vein " just NOT " in vain " LOL!!

Meanwhile you still havent told me how that eye is doing now several

days post-surgery. BETTER AND BETTER?? HUGX, Marcus

> > Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to

know.

> Brown

> > tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption.

> But as

> > Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in

the

> > blood.

> >

> > Pete

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope

you

> have found the support you need with us.

> >

> > If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our

> group, just click the link--

> Hepatitis C/

> >

> > Happy Posting

> >

> >

> >

> >

Guest guest

Well Marcus My eye is driving me nuts!!! while I can see a bit better through it,, its itchy and weeping and sticking together,, its really hard to keep it open for even a couple of seconds,, Ihope that will go away soon,, thanks jaxMarcus <marcuscal@...> wrote: But Jax, you CAN use it "in vein" just NOT "in vain" LOL!!Meanwhile you still havent told me how that eye is doing now several days post-surgery. BETTER AND BETTER?? HUGX, Marcus> > Thanks, Liz for the great article. It's really helpful to know. > Brown > > tea can apparently make a huge difference with iron absorption. > But as > > Sally pointed out, this doesn't affect existing iron levels in the > > blood. > > > > Pete> > > > > > > > > > > > It's a pleasure having you join in our conversations. We hope you > have found the support you need with us. > > > > If you are using email for your posts, for easy access to our > group, just click the link-- > Hepatitis C/> > > > Happy Posting > > > > > > > >

Guest guest

Ferretts Iron supplement is ferrous fumarate - I have a patient that

takes it and it is not as constipating as others - check out their

website - www.pharmics.com - they will give out samples as well.

Thanks-

Talbot, RD

>

> Hi all,

> Does anyone know of a less constipating iron supplement, if so how

much would you recommend? Another question I have is one of my

patients came in today, she is 1 year post op and reports blurry

vision. Have any of you heard of this before? Any thoughts would be

greatly appreciated. Thank you,

> O'Donnell RD, LD

>

>