RemedySpot.com

pregnancy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Betsy G-

I know it's not an easy task- but an NG TF with an elemental formula may be in order, before you talk about TPN.

Eva G

301-362-7840

-------------- Original message -------------- Hi! I have been in this group for some time, and really appreciate all the good information and input. I am a hospital dietitian who sees some weight loss surgery patients for pre-op consults and follow up. I also help run a support group at our hospital (although we do not do the surgery at ourhospital).My problem concerns a young women who was admitted yesterday. She is 29 weeks pregnant. Had gastric bypass in 2003. She had been doing fine with eating and weight gain up to recently when she started getting severe gi distress after eating. SHe has been on prenatal vitamin, calcium supplement and b12 sublingual. Obstruction series was negative. Her bariatric surgeon says it could be a hernia but he can't do any thing sugically this late in the pregnancy. (she actually had a prevoius admission in December with same sx, but it resolved) Surgeon recommended bleended diet. Today at lunch she ate about 2T cottage cheese, a little blended soup (minestrone) and an oz of milk, and started with severe pain and nausea.Anyone have any experience with something like this? I know sometimes Thiamine deficiency presents with vomiting. Do you think this is possible? I am thinking she may need parenteral nutrition, but if so she will be transferred to a high risk center.Thanks for any insights you may have!

Guest guest

Have you ruled out pregnancy-related gallbladder disease? Our tendency is to blame everything on the surgery...sometimes it is just good old fashioned medicine. Other considerations are a marginal ulcer or a stricture. Can she tolerate liquids? If she can, constant slow sips of a high protein supplement should be employed...in house we don't have that many choices, we use Replete with a flavor packet plus Promod. If she can tolerate the clear liquid Isopure, that would be a good choice. I would try the one with 25 grams of CHO -- not the zero carb. You need at least 2 of the 20 oz. bottles (80 grams of Protein) per day. The DRI for pregnancy is 71 grams.

If she has adequate hydration and protein status along with fetal growth, you can hold off on the TPN. If she does not, then you should consider it. We once maintained an entire pregnancy after gastric bypass (pregnant at the time of the surgery...long,long time ago) on TPN.

Dehydration can also cause nausea. I would attempt to control the nausea first, phenergran is safe during pregnancy. Then try liquids and slowly progress if she tolerates it. You didn't mention vomiting which would be a different situation altogether.

Perhaps you have seen the "incarcerated bowel" case report in the literature in which both mother and fetus (8 months) died. It is worth the read...

N Engl J Med. 2004 Aug 12;351(7):721-2.

You could also check out the article in the Women's Health and Reproductive Nutrition DPG from the winter issue -- Pregnancy and Lactation after Gastric Bypass Surgery. E-mail me if you need info on how to access it.

Jeanne Blankenship, MS RD

UC Medical Center

Sacramento, CA

pregnancy

Hi! I have been in this group for some time, and really appreciate all the good information and input. I am a hospital dietitian who sees some weight loss surgery patients for pre-op consults and follow up. I also help run a support group at our hospital (although we do not do the surgery at ourhospital).My problem concerns a young women who was admitted yesterday. She is 29 weeks pregnant. Had gastric bypass in 2003. She had been doing fine with eating and weight gain up to recently when she started getting severe gi distress after eating. SHe has been on prenatal vitamin, calcium supplement and b12 sublingual. Obstruction series was negative. Her bariatric surgeon says it could be a hernia but he can't do any thing sugically this late in the pregnancy. (she actually had a prevoius admission in December with same sx, but it resolved) Surgeon recommended bleended diet. Today at lunch she ate about 2T cottage cheese, a little blended soup (minestrone) and an oz of milk, and started with severe pain and nausea.Anyone have any experience with something like this? I know sometimes Thiamine deficiency presents with vomiting. Do you think this is possible? I am thinking she may need parenteral nutrition, but if so she will be transferred to a high risk center.Thanks for any insights you may have!

Guest guest

Jeanne,

Would you mind re-sending info on how to access

article on Pregnancy and Lactation after Gastric

Bypass Surgery.

TIA

Nikolakopoulos MS,RD,LDN

Newton-Wellesley Obesity Associates

Newton, MA

--- Jeanne Blankenship <jbship@...> wrote:

> Have you ruled out pregnancy-related gallbladder

> disease? Our tendency is to blame everything on the

> surgery...sometimes it is just good old fashioned

> medicine. Other considerations are a marginal ulcer

> or a stricture. Can she tolerate liquids? If she

> can, constant slow sips of a high protein supplement

> should be employed...in house we don't have that

> many choices, we use Replete with a flavor packet

> plus Promod. If she can tolerate the clear liquid

> Isopure, that would be a good choice. I would try

> the one with 25 grams of CHO -- not the zero carb.

> You need at least 2 of the 20 oz. bottles (80 grams

> of Protein) per day. The DRI for pregnancy is 71

> grams.

>

> If she has adequate hydration and protein status

> along with fetal growth, you can hold off on the

> TPN. If she does not, then you should consider it.

> We once maintained an entire pregnancy after gastric

> bypass (pregnant at the time of the

> surgery...long,long time ago) on TPN.

>

> Dehydration can also cause nausea. I would attempt

> to control the nausea first, phenergran is safe

> during pregnancy. Then try liquids and slowly

> progress if she tolerates it. You didn't mention

> vomiting which would be a different situation

> altogether.

>

> Perhaps you have seen the " incarcerated bowel " case

> report in the literature in which both mother and

> fetus (8 months) died. It is worth the read...

>

> N Engl J Med. 2004 Aug 12;351(7):721-2.

>

> You could also check out the article in the Women's

> Health and Reproductive Nutrition DPG from the

> winter issue -- Pregnancy and Lactation after

> Gastric Bypass Surgery. E-mail me if you need info

> on how to access it.

>

> Jeanne Blankenship, MS RD

> UC Medical Center

> Sacramento, CA

>

>

> pregnancy

>

>

>

> Hi! I have been in this group for some time, and

> really appreciate

> all the good information and input. I am a

> hospital dietitian who

> sees some weight loss surgery patients for pre-op

> consults and follow

> up. I also help run a support group at our

> hospital (although we do

> not do the surgery at ourhospital).

> My problem concerns a young women who was admitted

> yesterday. She is

> 29 weeks pregnant. Had gastric bypass in 2003.

> She had been doing

> fine with eating and weight gain up to recently

> when she started

> getting severe gi distress after eating. SHe has

> been on prenatal

> vitamin, calcium supplement and b12 sublingual.

> Obstruction series

> was negative. Her bariatric surgeon says it could

> be a hernia but he

> can't do any thing sugically this late in the

> pregnancy. (she

> actually had a prevoius admission in December with

> same sx, but it

> resolved) Surgeon recommended bleended diet.

> Today at lunch she ate

> about 2T cottage cheese, a little blended soup

> (minestrone) and an oz

> of milk, and started with severe pain and nausea.

> Anyone have any experience with something like

> this? I know

> sometimes Thiamine deficiency presents with

> vomiting. Do you think

> this is possible? I am thinking she may need

> parenteral nutrition,

> but if so she will be transferred to a high risk

> center.

> Thanks for any insights you may have!

>

>

>

>

>

Guest guest

Here is the information!

JB

Please have people requesting newsletters make their check payable to ADA/WHRN DPG#28. The cost is $10 per copy for nonmembers. Checks and orders should be mailed to my home address:

Fagen

11411 Wembley RD

Rossmoor, CA 90720

pregnancy> > > > Hi! I have been in this group for some time, and> really appreciate > all the good information and input. I am a> hospital dietitian who > sees some weight loss surgery patients for pre-op> consults and follow > up. I also help run a support group at our> hospital (although we do > not do the surgery at ourhospital).> My problem concerns a young women who was admitted> yesterday. She is > 29 weeks pregnant. Had gastric bypass in 2003. > She had been doing > fine with eating and weight gain up to recently> when she started > getting severe gi distress after eating. SHe has> been on prenatal > vitamin, calcium supplement and b12 sublingual. > Obstruction series > was negative. Her bariatric surgeon says it could> be a hernia but he > can't do any thing sugically this late in the> pregnancy. (she > actually had a prevoius admission in December with> same sx, but it > resolved) Surgeon recommended bleended diet. > Today at lunch she ate > about 2T cottage cheese, a little blended soup> (minestrone) and an oz > of milk, and started with severe pain and nausea.> Anyone have any experience with something like> this? I know > sometimes Thiamine deficiency presents with> vomiting. Do you think > this is possible? I am thinking she may need> parenteral nutrition, > but if so she will be transferred to a high risk> center.> Thanks for any insights you may have!> > > > >

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

Deanna,

I wrote an article on this topic for the Women's Health and Reproductive Nutrition Practice Group. You can request reprints from Fagen. Her e-mail and contact information is:

Fagen, MA, RDRPPC/CDAPP Coordinator Region 6.1Long Beach Memorial Medical CenterPerinatal Outreach Education Program2701 Atlantic Avenue, Suite ALong Beach, CA 90806(562) 595-7930cfagen@...

Jeanne

pregnancy

I know other questions have been posted about pregnancy after gastric bypass surgery but it seems like they haven't been answered so I'm trying again :) I have a patient who is 6 months post op who just found out she is pregnant. I wondering if anyone has a good article or web site I can look at for further information about calorie and protein needs and of course vitamin supplementation. any information would be appreciated. Thanks!Deanna Machac RDCD

• 2 months later...

Heidi,

Which protein supplement was she taking? Generally, they should be okay, but sometimes there are funky ingredients.

I would quesiton the validity of the OGT if she has a hx of either early or late dumping. My guess is that this is a response to simple carb if she has not been regularly consuming it. You can have her check a FSB and then a few random tests both pp and at HS to see how her blood sugars are running.

Hope this helps!

Jeanne Blankenship, MS RD

UC Medical Center

Sent: Tuesday, August 16, 2005 8:39 PM

Subject: pregnancy

I need help with a pregnancy and gastric bypass pt. First one I've seen and I looked though many of the past posts and got some great info. Plus that great handout in the files section! This listserve is great! I do have one question which is posted after the short background -

She had a gastric bypass on 8/23/04. She is ~2 months along in her pregnancy although they are still trying to determine the exact time as she also has PCOS and ovulated late. She has lost 155# since the surgery. She currently weighs 153.4# today although she did weigh 160# on 7/5/05.

She is wondering if she can take her protein supplement again to help fortify foods. On the label it says for pregnant or lactating women to not use and contact their physician. Is this because it is regulated as a supplement or is there something else I should be concerned about? She denied that it had any unusually herbs, etc in it but is going to check tonight. Would a general protein supplements be okay? She is having very bad nausea in the morning and many foods she tolerated prior are making her sick now (cheese, eggs).

Also, for some reason they did a glucose tolerance test. One hour after a 50g glucose load her blood glucose was 51.

Thanks!Heidi Verpy RD, LD

HealthPartners Clinics, MN

does anyone have any references/ studies/ protocols written that they are willing to share about OGT/ gestational DM and bariatric pts?

Also, I am looking for protocols for dealing w/ hypoglycemia in bariatric pts. Does anyone have anything written up, or any references they can share?

thanks-

Walenta

Bariatric Dietitian Regional Hospital Pinehurst, NC (910) 715-7836

pregnancy

I need help with a pregnancy and gastric bypass pt. First one I've seen and I looked though many of the past posts and got some great info. Plus that great handout in the files section! This listserve is great! I do have one question which is posted after the short background -

She had a gastric bypass on 8/23/04. She is ~2 months along in her pregnancy although they are still trying to determine the exact time as she also has PCOS and ovulated late. She has lost 155# since the surgery. She currently weighs 153.4# today although she did weigh 160# on 7/5/05.

She is wondering if she can take her protein supplement again to help fortify foods. On the label it says for pregnant or lactating women to not use and contact their physician. Is this because it is regulated as a supplement or is there something else I should be concerned about? She denied that it had any unusually herbs, etc in it but is going to check tonight. Would a general protein supplements be okay? She is having very bad nausea in the morning and many foods she tolerated prior are making her sick now (cheese, eggs).

Also, for some reason they did a glucose tolerance test. One hour after a 50g glucose load her blood glucose was 51.

I would like to hear what all have learned about hypoglycemia and surgery. I have just started to have this discussion with our surgeons. We have had a couple patients who have regular episodes of hypoglycemia, we were first just discussing dietary changes to prevent hypoglycemia but now we think this may need further investigation, we have had an endocrinologist at a local university ask to see all patients experiencing hypoglycemia post-op and Mayo Clinic put a paper out about over-production of insulin in post-op patients (help...does anyone have the actual article, I have only read a summary of it, I think maybe it was in the NEJM?) I am including two references I have found on the subject (only read the second reference in full, good discussion on why hypoglycemia may be happening). I wonder if other programs are seeing hypoglycemia very often and what you are doing with patients. We do not currently have any particular protocol. One other comment, a brief case review printed in February of 2005 JAGS discusses the use of Acarbose as a treatment for hypoglycemia related to dumping syndrome in a gastrectomy patient...anyone using medications for treatment?

Zagury L. Moreira RO. Guedes EP. Coutinho WF. Appolinario JC. Insulinoma misdiagnosed as dumping syndrome after bariatric surgery. [Case Reports. Journal Article] Obesity Surgery. 14(1):120-3, 2004 Jan. UI: 14980046

Guldstrand M. Ahren B. Wredling R. Backman L. Lins PE. on U. Alteration of the counterregulatory responses to insulin-induced hypoglycemia and of cognitive function after massive weight reduction in severely obese subjects. [Journal Article] Metabolism: Clinical & Experimental. 52(7):900-7, 2003 Jul. UI: 12870168

Interested in your experiences!

Laschkewitsch RD LDDietitian, Legacy Obesity Institute(503) 413-8135

From: [mailto: ]On Behalf Of Walenta, Sent: Friday, August 19, 2005 7:46 AM Subject: RE: pregnancy

does anyone have any references/ studies/ protocols written that they are willing to share about OGT/ gestational DM and bariatric pts?

Also, I am looking for protocols for dealing w/ hypoglycemia in bariatric pts. Does anyone have anything written up, or any references they can share?

thanks-

Walenta

Bariatric Dietitian Regional Hospital Pinehurst, NC (910) 715-7836

pregnancy

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

YOu can find that article on www.diabetesincontrol.com

pregnancy

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This communication, including any attachment, contains information that may be confidential or privileged, and is intended solely for the entity or individual to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you should contact the sender and delete the message. Any unauthorized disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message is strictly prohibited. Nothing in this email, including any attachment, is intended to be a legally binding signature.

• 6 months later...

Hi ...

So good to hear you post.

We are trying to get a chat together tonight so that those in England

might be able to join us.

Any chance you might pop in?

Look under post 31736 for times.

Glad to hear you are doing so well .. your pregnancy seems to be flying

by .. at least for me.

Hugs,

Kathie in Pittsburgh

>

> Hi Kim,

> I am currently 24 weeks pregnant. I

• 2 months later...
Guest guest

im not a woman nor a doctor but it seems that a c section would be safer ,

New Messenger with Voice. Call regular phones from your PC and save big.

Guest guest

My sister gave birth naturaly and didnt pass the virus to my neice . Transmission rates are very low through pregnancy . I have 5 children and none are positive

pregnancy

Well I am due on Saturday and I was just curious to any mothers out there if you gave natural birth did you give your baby hep c? Please email me back at kristancurtis@... thank you so much

Guest guest

Actually c-sections pose dangers and a higher risk of transmission . Bloodless c-sections are hard to do .

Re: pregnancy

im not a woman nor a doctor but it seems that a c section would be safer ,

Guest guest

thanks liz now you see why im not a doctor,lol but i did sleep at a holiday in select las night

Guest guest

hahahahaha your watching too much tv , but then again I understood that comment so that means I watch to much tv also .

Re: pregnancy

thanks liz now you see why im not a doctor,lol but i did sleep at a holiday in select las night

• 3 months later...

We have used TPN also with great success for both the mom and baby

for those early out from surgery. We also do a pregnancy test on all

pre surgery but have had a few very new post op patients come in for

their first appointment and have found to be pregnant.

Ciara Halpin RD,LD

-- In , " Ellis-Wo

od " <kellis@...> wrote:

>

> Would anyone being willing to pass along info/guidelines r/t

pregnancy in s/p gastric bypass patients? I know this has been

discussed in the past, but of course never saved any of the

discussions! I will be seeing her Wednesday - she is ~3 years post

op and is 19 wks pregnant.

> Thank you,

>

>

>

> Ellis-Wood, RD, CDN

> Alice Hyde Medical Center

> Malone, NY

> kellis@...

>

• 1 year later...

Hi Tori,

I'm Amy, dx'd with type 1 at 9 months of age and am now 28. I have two

kids, Olivia is 4 and Phineas is 2. I was about 51 lbs when I had them

- each weighed about 6 lbs. I didn't have too hard of a time with

Olivia as far as lasting weakness, but I lost a ton of strength with

Phineas. I have a really difficult time gaining weight, so I had to

drink suppliments with each pregnancy. There are a slew of concerns

with being so petite and carrying a healthy baby, but it can be done.

Thankfully, my respiratory status was stable during each pregnancy and

I was able to be extubated immediately after my c-sections. I did lose

a lot of blood for my size and was anemic for a while after each baby.

I was also in a ton of pain as the babies grew, but that's to be

expected being so small. There's nothing you can safely take while

pregnant for pain, aside from Tylenol, that isn't a potential risk to

the baby either. Anyway, good luck! I hope you find a wonderful OB!

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! -

http://webmail.aol.com

Hi Tori! Welcome to the group! My name is and I have SMA Type I. In

April 2007, I delivered a healthy baby girl via emergency c-section. I weighed

about 100 lbs when I got pregnant and only gained baby weight. I made a lot of

changes to my diet to make sure she was getting what she needed as well as to

keep me healthy. The prenatal vitamins made me vomit so my doctor had me take a

flinstone chewable every day. She also had me take a cranberry supplement pill

every day to promote urinary health; I continue to take those as they have been

WONDERFUL for preventing UTIs. My pregnancy was pretty " normal " until I hit

about 28 weeks. She liked to curve up under my ribs so I started experiencing a

bit of breathing trouble. It wasn't anything I couldn't handle, though. At my

31 week appointment, I was experiencing a bit more breathing trouble so my OB

wanted to admit me for oxygen support and to make me a bit more comfortable.

Unfortunately, I

went into premature labor that they were unable to stop and I delivered 9 weeks

early. This had NOTHING to do with my SMA; all the women in my family have

premature labor (I was born at home 5 weeks early). Anyhow, other than being a

bit small (4lbs 4 ozs), she was a very healthy baby and was only kept in the

NICU for 2.5 weeks mostly because she had to learn to eat from a bottle; most

premmies don't have the suck ability at first. Overall, I bounced back fairly

well though my c-section was very hard on me. I had an odd complication where

my uterus turned inside out and they had to fix it quickly b/c I was bleeding

out. Because of this complication, my uterus hurts quite a bit when I am on my

period but it is slowly getting a bit better. Besides, everything I went

through was totally worth it. My husband and I have chosen not to have any

more; she's our little miracle :).

The biggest thing I can recommend is to meet with many OBs before you get

pregnant to find the right one. You need one that is VERY supportive but will

be realistic about the risks. The first two OBs we met with were horrible and

basically scared us to death. The one woman flat out said that I would deliver

at 24 weeks for sure and our baby would have all kinds of mental and physical

disabilities. Apparently, she had a crystal ball.

Good luck and please feel free to write to me off-group if you have more

questions :)

Milinovich, SMA Type I

Wife to , Mommy to - 9 Months Old!

http://www.myspace.com/kindrana

http://s174. photobucket. com/albums/ w107/boramir/ ?start=0

Pregnancy

Hi, My name is Tori, I am 24 and have SMA type 2/3. I recently joined

this group and have a few questions. Me and fiance are thinking about

possibly having a baby after we get married. My main concern is that I

only weigh about 75 pounds, I was wondering if any SMA mothers were

about that size when they had their babies and if they had any

complications. I am also curious if their pregnancy's had any long

term physical effects, such as more weakness, lung problems, etc.

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Be a better friend, newshound, and

know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

Hi Tori,

I'm SMA type 2 and 37 years old. I have two children. I had them

both by C section. My first preagnancy was the best pregnancy I

could have. No weekness, no morning sickness, no respiratory

distresed and I've work til the day before the C section.

My second pregnancy was not so good. I had lost a lot of weith

during the pregnancy. I was much much weaker than the first one. I

could not work after the third month. I had anemia during and after

the pregnancy. During the C section I had lost lot of blood. I had

a blood transfusion. It has been a long process comming back from

this birth. The recovery was very long because I did transmit SMA to

my son. I had trouble dealing with many many functionnal therapy and

all the doctors meeting.

I did lost lot of muscular mass. I've stop walking since then. But

I won't do it diffrently if it was to do it again. I love my

children and it is the most butifull thing I had done in my entire

life.

So go on, be a mother !!!!!

Chantal SMA 2 mother of Karl SMA 2

>

> Hi Tori,

>

> I'm Amy, dx'd with type 1 at 9 months of age and am now 28. I have

two

> kids, Olivia is 4 and Phineas is 2. I was about 51 lbs when I had

them

> - each weighed about 6 lbs. I didn't have too hard of a time with

> Olivia as far as lasting weakness, but I lost a ton of strength

with

> Phineas. I have a really difficult time gaining weight, so I had

to

> drink suppliments with each pregnancy. There are a slew of concerns

> with being so petite and carrying a healthy baby, but it can be

done.

> Thankfully, my respiratory status was stable during each pregnancy

and

> I was able to be extubated immediately after my c-sections. I did

lose

> a lot of blood for my size and was anemic for a while after each

baby.

> I was also in a ton of pain as the babies grew, but that's to be

> expected being so small. There's nothing you can safely take while

> pregnant for pain, aside from Tylenol, that isn't a potential risk

to

> the baby either. Anyway, good luck! I hope you find a wonderful

OB!

>

>

>

__

> More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail ! -

> http://webmail.aol.com

>

Hi Chantel! Thanks for the great info. I was wondering how you

transmitted SMA to your son? Is your husband a carrier? I was told my

husband would have to be a carrier in order for my baby to have it. So

you walked until you had your children? That is amazing....I stopped

walking at 12 when I had spinal fusion. Do you have aim if so what is

your screen name, I would love to talk to you more.