RemedySpot.com

Vitamin D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

What exactly are these co-factors necessary for vitamin D activity? I'd love to see some documentation.

M Kalb MS DCWellness Chiropractor and Health Coachwww.DrKalb.com 541.488.3001

On Sep 17, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Christian Mathisen wrote:

Dr. Janet Lang talks about two factors in absorption of any nutrient. One is physiological need and the other is tolerance. There may be a physiological need, as when the patient's D levels are below 40 (like most people we test), but they have a low tolerance to the needed input. That means you have to start low and gradually build up the dose.

This is old information to many of us, but it helps to be reminded that not everyone can take a horse pill with 10 Million Vitamins!

And as Sunny always reminds us, if the mineral levels are low, the person won't receive the benefit of the supplement, whether natural like Cod Liver or synthetic D3.

Hair analysis is one way of determining mineral levels and there are other ways. It's not wise to presume that just because they are walking around that they have enough minerals.

Christian Mathisen, DC, CCWFN

3654 S Pacific Hwy

Medford, OR 97501

cmathdc@...

Vitamin D

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?Larry L. Oliver, DC408 NW 7thCorvallis, OR541-757-9933fax 541-757-7713www.heresco.comThe information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

I'm working with a nutraceutical company to develop a Vit D, Vit A,

Vit K combo as there is a need for all three of them. I've been

dosing Vit D high for years w/out event, but the Weston Price head in

me is really leaning towards the importance of at least " some " Vit A

and K in there to synchronize it all together.

There is also the idea that folks with Hashimoto's have a polymorphism

on their Vit D receptors and they can't absorb it (mb the addition of

the others would help?) You almost have to OD these folks on D, so in

those cases I always encourage sun exposure in addition. Shreek!

Tanning Beds? Yes. Low dose, conventional beds, works wonders. It's

works AMAZING on back pain as well. I find in folks with any

autoimmune condition that I have a hard time getting their levels up

with oral supplementation.

I look for blood levels between 80-100. Studies say that levels above

80 is where the anti-cancer benefits start.

I think A and K are important as well. Still working on just how much

in mind:)

Tyna , ND, DC

Clearwater Clinic

1201 SW 12th Ave, Ste 205

Portland, OR 97205

www.clearh2o.org

Hi ,

Not sure if you received my previous post, since this came through again, so I'll send it again:

Thanks for the question. I hope I didn't lead you astray and suggest that D needs "co-factors" to work. There is a lot of activity to D by itself. A good start is the review article by JJ Cannell and Bruce Hollis in the Alternative Medicine Review, Vol 13, Number 1 2008.: "Uses of Vitamin D in Clinical Practice."

JJ Cannell has other articles about D. Virology Journal 2008 5:29 "On the Epidemiology of Influenza," talks about the disease and vitamin D's role.

Have a great week-end!

Christian

Vitamin D

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

Hi ,

Not sure if you received my previous post, since this came through again, so I'll send it again:

Thanks for the question. I hope I didn't lead you astray and suggest that D needs "co-factors" to work. There is a lot of activity to D by itself. A good start is the review article by JJ Cannell and Bruce Hollis in the Alternative Medicine Review, Vol 13, Number 1 2008.: "Uses of Vitamin D in Clinical Practice."

JJ Cannell has other articles about D. Virology Journal 2008 5:29 "On the Epidemiology of Influenza," talks about the disease and vitamin D's role.

Have a great week-end!

Christian

Vitamin D

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

• 5 weeks later...

My levels were 83 when I had them checked when I was pregnant. I was taking between 5,000 and 10,000 IU/day for months to get my levels up from the 30s. I also give my baby 1,000 IUs a couple times a week. I think getting between 50 and 100 is ideal. I think Dr. Hollick, Vitamin D expert at Boston Univer Med. School recommends every adult should take 2500-5000 IU/day to maintain levels (if you live north of Atlanta Georgia latitude) but if your levels are low/deficient, you need to take more to get levels back up to the 50-100 range. Google Hollick and Vitamin D council. . .he has put together some great research and guidelines on Vitamin D. From: shawna <shawna_kunselman@...>Vaccinations Sent: Mon, October 18, 2010 10:49:31 AMSubject: Vitamin D

I just had my Vitamin D levels checked and they were 33. Any information on how much I should take daily to get these levels up? I am breastfeeding....not vaccinating....should I start supplementing him to? Thanks! shawna

I am getting very skeptical of the Vit. D issue. I'm not so sure you should be taking extra when you're breastfeeding, let alone giving it directly to a baby. I know everyone is saying to but to me this is debatable. I'd research it more if I were you.

Winnie Vitamin DVaccinations > I just had my Vitamin D levels checked and they were 33. Any > information on how much I should take daily to get these levels > up? I am breastfeeding....not vaccinating....should I start > supplementing him to? Thanks! shawna> >

• 3 months later...

Hi Krystal,I would check vitamindcouncil.com. They have recommendations on correcting deficiency but also have links to a lot of research in different populations. I haven't looked in detail for gastric bypass specifics but just did a "search" on it and came up with quite a few articles.http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/science/research/vitamin-d-and-gastrointestinal-function.shtmlI hope this provides some insight.From: Krystal Cameron <kcameron@...>Subject: Vitamin D"' '"

< >Date: Thursday, February 3, 2011, 8:11 AM

Does anyone know what form is recommended for treating vitamin D deficiencies?

I have a lot of patients asking about dry

vs the prescription gel form and can’t find any resources to address.

I know the dry form is D3 and the prescription form is D2, but what is the difference in absorption in WLS patients?

Opinions and/or references would be appreciated! Krystal Krystal Cameron, RD, LDN Registered Dietitian New

Life Center for Bariatric Surgery 200 Ft. West Blvd Building One,

Suite 200 Knoxville,

TN 37922 (865) 694-9676 P

Value our planet…

Please print this email only if necessary.

According to Dr Jacques, ND, in her

book Micronutrution for the Weight Loss Surgery Patient, Dry vitamin d

is a water miscible form.

BTW, it is a very useful book if you

don't have it.

Diane Vecchi, MS, RD

Bariatric Surgery Department

The Permanente Medical Group, Inc.

South San Francisco, CA 94080

(650) 742-3199

Tie Line 8-436-3199

NOTICE TO RECIPIENT:

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are prohibited

from sharing, copying, or otherwise using or disclosing its contents. If

you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately

by reply e-mail and permanently delete this e-mail and any attachments

without reading, forwarding or saving them. Thank you.

• 6 months later...

Yes, it is. You may need a larger dose. I think the pill form of vitamin D

isn't absorbed as well, so you aren't getting all of the 1000iu. Don't

forget the sun makes vitamin D in our bodies too.

Suzanne

What's The News On ne & Latte? www.our-sma-angels.com/neRose

(ne's website - Check it out!!)

Jesus said, ' " I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of

these, my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help Me. " 25:45

God doesn’t use us because of how strong we are. He uses us because of how

willing we are to meet Him where He is working.

Where Do People With Disabilities Fit Into God's Kingdom? " For I know the

plans I have for you, " says the Lord. " They are plans for good and not

disaster, to give you a future and a hope.... " 29:11

Lord grant me the strength to be content where I am. The patience to wait on

Your timing. And the faith to remember that You have Your hand always on my

heart.

**TV and Newspaper Story links listed on ne's website**

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 1:34 PM, utahwheels <dunebuggy53@...>wrote:

> **

>

>

> Is it common for SMA patients to have low Vitamin D? Mine is getting lower

> even with taking 1000 IU of vitamin D.

>

>

>

I take a liquid vitamin D supplement every 2 weeks called Calciferol. When I

first started, it was every week for 6 weeks and then you can taper off.

Good luck,

Alice

PS I also have low iron so I started taking a liquid iron supplement as well.

>

> > **

> >

> >

> > Is it common for SMA patients to have low Vitamin D? Mine is getting lower

> > even with taking 1000 IU of vitamin D.

> >

> >

> >

>

>

>

I take 1,000IU Vitamin D pill every day - and once a week take a 50,000IU

Vitamin D pill as prescribed by my doctor.  Though I do not have SMA, I am an

SMA carrier - but think neither has anything to do with Vitamin D deficiency

(though I'm a non-doctor dumb-guy).  Per one of my Doc's, the wide-spread use of

Sun Screen has lead to lots of people having reduced levels of Vitamin D since

our bodies have not been receive the necessary light rays that prompt our bodies

to make Vitamin D...best of luck!

• 2 weeks later...

me too! my doctors don't know why either but they thought I needed to get more

sun exposure

>

> Is it common for SMA patients to have low Vitamin D? Mine is getting lower

even with taking 1000 IU of vitamin D.

>

• 3 weeks later...

Read this

Annie: http://www.neurology.org/content/74/1/e2.full#sec-7

Regarding the

reference range for the particular vitamin D test you had done. Every

laboratory has a ‘reference range’ that is unique and depends upon

many different factors. Different hospitals use different 'kits'. Often they

take a range of ‘healthy’ individuals and create an average range

after excluding a certain percentage from the low range and the high range.

Voila, they determined the normal Vitamin D level. Telephone your local

hospital pathology laboratory and ask what the reference range is for Vit. D

that they use. However, a reading of < 4 looks very low indeed.

Luv - Sheila

Hello, could someone please advise what are the

normal ranges for vitamin D? I had a blood test recently and my result was

<4. I know that is low but would like to know what I should be aiming for.

Many thanks,

Annie

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you Rufus for that valuable information,my GP would not test my D3 so have

contacted Dudley and they are doing it.

Onward and upward

Helen

>

> Getting your Vitamin D blood level above 100 nmol/L (40 ng/mL in USA)

> is one of the most important things that you can do

>

>

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not kindly

move it to where it should be.

My latest test result said I am deficient in Vitamin D, can someone please share

what type of vit,D are you taking. I am researching online and there seems to be

so many kinds and sources of vit.d

Any help is appreciated.

Best;

My family and I use Biotics Research Bio-D-Mulsion Forte

My 9 & 12 yr old take 1 drop (2,000 iU) per day

I take 5 drops (10,000 iU / day)

Buist, ND HC

Vitamin D

Im not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not kindly move it to where it should be.My latest test result said I am deficient in Vitamin D, can someone please share what type of vit,D are you taking. I am researching online and there seems to be so many kinds and sources of vit.dAny help is appreciated.Best;

• 2 months later...

Vitamin D is definitely a problem with hiv medsAbout 5 yrs ago, she checked the D level on all her patients and discovered most of us were deficient. She had us do some heavy duty Vit D pills for a couple weeks, then on 1000 iu supps every day. We still check the d level every year of so.   if you haven't added the D level to your blood work, have your doc add it. 

___________ Potrero HillSan Francisco<<Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium to build bones. When the body is deficient in vitamin D, levels of a hormone called parathyroid hormone rise. This rise triggers activity that draws calcium from bones. As a result, the bones become more fragile and can break more easily. >>

, this is very good advice. Two years ago I discovered that I had bone density loss after one of my docs noticed that I was 3/4" shorter than when she had first met me 10 years ago. This is one sharp endocrinologist! She immediately had me take a Dexascan and get a Vitamin D assessment (blood work). I went on Fosamax once a week and significantly boosted my vitamin D level to several thousand IU daily.

I have learned over the past 25 years of pozitivity that almost everything is a problem with HIV meds. But I am still around, feeling generally good at 71, and still working in a field that I helped to invent three decades ago. TG for Kaiser's Medicare Advantage Program. And for NIH and ACTG treatment trials.

Jerome

In a message dated 1/11/2012 7:46:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, eddieksf@... writes:

Vitamin D is definitely a problem with hiv meds

About 5 yrs ago, she checked the D level on all her patients and discovered most of us were deficient. She had us do some heavy duty Vit D pills for a couple weeks, then on 1000 iu supps every day. We still check the d level every year of so. if you haven't added the D level to your blood work, have your doc add it.

Potrero Hill

San Francisco

<<Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium to build bones. When the body is deficient in vitamin D, levels of a hormone called parathyroid hormone rise. This rise triggers activity that draws calcium from bones. As a result, the bones become more fragile and can break more easily. >>

After many discussions, for example, my primary and infectious doctors put me

on VIT D2 at 50,000 units, after reviewing my bloodwork...

Which I get from my pharmacy free and only take one pill each month

thru out the year....

From: EddieKsf <eddieksf@...> Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:33 AMSubject: Re: Vitamin D

Vitamin D is definitely a problem with hiv meds

About 5 yrs ago, she checked the D level on all her patients and discovered most of us were deficient. She had us do some heavy duty Vit D pills for a couple weeks, then on 1000 iu supps every day. We still check the d level every year of so. if you haven't added the D level to your blood work, have your doc add it.

Potrero Hill

San Francisco

<<Vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium to build bones. When the body is deficient in vitamin D, levels of a hormone called parathyroid hormone rise. This rise triggers activity that draws calcium from bones. As a result, the bones become more fragile and can break more easily. >>

If you're using Fosamax, you can get some or all of your vitamin D by taking Fosamax Plus D 70-5600mg-unit Tablets. I had to ask for it, since neither my pharmacy nor my doctor knew that one of the formulations of Fosamax comes with 5,600 mg vitamin D. It has raised my D levels significantly. http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/70809.phpJoe I went on Fosamax once a week and significantly boosted my vitamin D level to several thousand IU daily. Reply to sender | Reply to group | Reply via web post | Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (8) Recent Activity: New Members 7 Visit Your Group MARKETPLACE Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Toolbar

now. & amp;amp;amp; & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-3 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;lt & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;; & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-4 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;img & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt; width= & amp;quot;1 & amp;quot; height= & amp;quot;1 & amp;quot; alt= & amp;quot; & amp;quot; & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-5 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;src & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;= & amp;quot;http://us.bc./b?P=1e3b74de-3d1a-11e1-9b53-47c531a73c07 & amp;amp;amp;amp;T=1d0937396%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-6 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;fX & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d1326371818%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-7 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;fE & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d1705061590%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-8 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fR & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-9 & amp;quot;

class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;dgrphealth & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-10 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fK & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d5%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-11 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fV & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d2.1%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-12 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fW & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-13 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;dH & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-14 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fY & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-15 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;d & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-16 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fF & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d3625010586%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-17 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fH & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-18 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;dY & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;29 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-19 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;udGVudD & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-20 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;iQWxlcnRzO & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-21 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;xvdHRlcnk & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;7R3 & amp;lt;SPAN

id= & amp;quot;misspell-22 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;JvdXBzO & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-23 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;Jvb & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-24 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;ttYXJrO & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-25 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;JyaWVmY & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-26 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;FzZTtQaG & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;90b3M7 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-27 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;WWFob & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;29 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-28 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fU & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-29 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;VhcmNoX & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;01 & amp;lt;SPAN

id= & amp;quot;misspell-30 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;hcmtldGluZztIZWFsdGg & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;7Q2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-31 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;FsZW & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;5 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-32 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;kYXI & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;7 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-33 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;MzYwOyIgZGlzYWJsZXNodWZmbGluZz & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-34 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;iMSIgc & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-35 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;VydmVJZD & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-36 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;iMWUzYjc & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-37 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;ZGUtM & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-38 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;QxYS & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-39 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;xMWUxLTliNTMtNDdjNTMxYTczYzA & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;3 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-40 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;IiBzaXRlSWQ & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;9 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-41 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;IjQ & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;0 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-42 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;NTI & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;1 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-43 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;NTEiIHRTdG & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;1 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-44 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;wPSIxMzI & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-45 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;MzcxODE & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;4 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-46 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;MzQ & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;4 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-47 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;NjMwIiA & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;-%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-48 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fQ & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d-1%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-49 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot; & amp;gt;fS & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d1%2 & amp;lt;SPAN id= & amp;quot;misspell-50 & amp;quot; class= & amp;quot;mark & amp;quot;

& amp;gt;fJ & amp;lt;/SPAN & amp;gt;%3d683E8962 & amp;amp;amp;amp;U=13c72p9tn%2fN%3dt1uTANBDRrE-%2fC%3d493064.14543979.14562481.13298430%2fD%3dMKP1%2fB%3d6060255%2fV%3d1 & amp;quot; & amp;amp;amp;gt; Switch to: Text-Only, Daily Digest • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use .

Kaiser won't pay for Fosamax Plus D, which is what I used to take. I now take the generic Fosamax and take 3,000 units of D twice a day separately. Vitamin D is VERY cheap, so it's not a problem.

In a message dated 1/12/2012 6:42:08 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, joecornish@... writes:

If you're using Fosamax, you can get some or all of your vitamin D by taking Fosamax Plus D 70-5600mg-unit Tablets. I had to ask for it, since neither my pharmacy nor my doctor knew that one of the formulations of Fosamax comes with 5,600 mg vitamin D. It has raised my D levels significantly.

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

Before I was diagnosed with PA, my vitamin D was tested and found to be

off-the-charts low. My former doctor (the one I fired) prescribed a megadose of

it, which somehow raised my BP and exacerbated the palpitations I already had

from low K.

I was re-tested several months after my adrenalectomy and indeed it was still

low. My current doctor is skeptical of supplementation - for one thing, most if

not all of the tests done showing benefits from Vit D supplementation were done

on white Northern European men over 50. Being neither northern European, male,

or over 50, I told my doc that until a study comes out showing benefits of Vit D

in mixed-race women under 50, I'm not taking it, because even though the tumor

is gone, I'm scared of what Vit D will do. Those palpitations were really

frightening.

My doc has also noted the same thing that you did - nearly everyone he tests

comes back low. One theory about this is that our sun-phobic culture has

everyone slathered in sunscreen; my own experiment-of-one voids this though, as

I am out in the sun a lot and refuse to use sunscreen (I'm more fearful of

slathering my skin in petrochemicals than I am of sun damage).

My low vitamin levels (I've also had Vitamin A and B12 deficiencies) are

believed to be due to malabsorbtion from damage done by years of undiagnosed

celiac disease. Perhaps the years of undiagnosed low K have contributed as well

- if I understand my biology, then low K could cause dysfunction in the smooth

muscle of the digestive tract, which is what I suspect was happening to me for

many years. I still have malabsorbtion symptoms, but it was far worse before the

adrenalectomy.

-msmith1928

Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/11

> > > >

> > > > I was active on this board about a year ago and then I got pregnant with

baby #6 and between two military moves and a year long deployment for my husband

I have been on very little.  Tried to start reading again, but still have 6000

messages!

> > > >

> > > > Diagnosed with PA in 2007,  BP was regulated with a low salt diet.

Average below 120/80.  Healthy pregnancy and delivery of a beautiful girl 10

lb. 12 oz - no gestational diabetes, just pure chunk.

> > > >

> > > > I am now three and a half months post partum.  BP has been fairly

normal.  In the 135/85 range, but I was happy as I know in the postpartum

period there is some leveling out.  About a month ago I felt odd and my bp was

up to 176/100 or something like that.  I believe I took a bath with Epsom salts

(I have magnesium issues) and BP seemed normal.  Has been normal since that

time.  About three days ago I felt like I was urinating all day long in tiny

amounts.  I also dropped 5 pounds in two days.  I am eating a very low salt

diet with virtually no processed foods.  I take 20 MEQ of slow release K and

drink 16 oz of OJ and 8 oz of low sodium V-8.  In addition I eat lots of fruit

and veggies and beans so I think my potassium is high enough.

> > > >

> > > > Tuesday morning my BP was 123/82 and a few hours later standing in the

kitchen I felt weird and it was 180/103.  I think I took my magnesium and it

went down to maybe 150/92.  BP has been up and down the last few days.  I have

been so thirsty and have a really dry mouth like I am dehydrated, but last night

I couldn't seem to hold anything in for more than an hour before I would

urinate.  I couldn't sleep either.  BP would be 180/103 and 15 min after water

it would be 135/82 only to go back up after I urinated.  It was like I couldn't

hold on to water.  

> > > >

> > > > Five years ago I had a situation like this when I was eight months post

partum (breastfeeding both times, though now, my baby is strictly breastfed and

my eight month old had started solids.

> > > >

> > > > Due to the weight loss I started drinking Gatorade and BP has been

around 140/90 - not great, but not ridiculous.  Any thoughts as to what is

going on.  In my pregnancy I had low sodium and felt less mentally strange with

the addition of some salt into my diet.  The sodium in the Gatorade has not

seemed to be a problem and actually seems to help somewhat.

> > > >

> > > > My dr. appt got cancelled today and I go tomorrow.  New dr.  None of

my PA paperwork is in my military file as we were away from a base when it all

started.  Just want to be on my toes and take the dr. some good info.  Just

hoping she listens to me.

> > > >

> > > > Anybody ever have anything like this happen before?

> > > >

> > > > Around a year ago I was eating so low sodium that my BP went really low

102/68 and pulse went high and adding some salt seemed to help.  Thanks for

listening.  

> > > >

> > > > -

> > > >  42 yoWF, 6 kids, military wife whose husband is currently deployed for

a year.  diagnosed PA 2007.  AVS found hormone producing tumor on left,

couldn't sample right, told me to have adrenelectomy of left and I declined as

they could not sample right side

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I just looked up my labs and had my vit D tested in 2009 and it was normal...do I win a prize? Lol. But I agree everyone I know who has ever had it tested is low..my best friend who is at the pool all the time, my sister, some other friends, my mom. Whenever I talked about having low K pre-PA diagnosis everyone always brought this up, like I shouldn't be worried about a vitamin deficiency, because most people had some kind of vitamin deficiency. I think this attitude delays many of us getting help when we should. Virginia Wall31 year old femaleDASHingAVS scheduled June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO3 cm adenoma in right adrenalDiagnosed February 2012Low K & High BP since appx. 2007Possible family history of hyperaldosteronismMeds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs bidPrenatal vitaminBreastfeeding; 5 month old with G6PDDOn Jun 15, 2012, at 12:32 AM, "msmith_1928" <janeray1940@...> wrote:

Before I was diagnosed with PA, my vitamin D was tested and found to be off-the-charts low. My former doctor (the one I fired) prescribed a megadose of it, which somehow raised my BP and exacerbated the palpitations I already had from low K.

I was re-tested several months after my adrenalectomy and indeed it was still low. My current doctor is skeptical of supplementation - for one thing, most if not all of the tests done showing benefits from Vit D supplementation were done on white Northern European men over 50. Being neither northern European, male, or over 50, I told my doc that until a study comes out showing benefits of Vit D in mixed-race women under 50, I'm not taking it, because even though the tumor is gone, I'm scared of what Vit D will do. Those palpitations were really frightening.

My doc has also noted the same thing that you did - nearly everyone he tests comes back low. One theory about this is that our sun-phobic culture has everyone slathered in sunscreen; my own experiment-of-one voids this though, as I am out in the sun a lot and refuse to use sunscreen (I'm more fearful of slathering my skin in petrochemicals than I am of sun damage).

My low vitamin levels (I've also had Vitamin A and B12 deficiencies) are believed to be due to malabsorbtion from damage done by years of undiagnosed celiac disease. Perhaps the years of undiagnosed low K have contributed as well - if I understand my biology, then low K could cause dysfunction in the smooth muscle of the digestive tract, which is what I suspect was happening to me for many years. I still have malabsorbtion symptoms, but it was far worse before the adrenalectomy.

-msmith1928

Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/11

> > > >

> > > > I was active on this board about a year ago and then I got pregnant with baby #6 and between two military moves and a year long deployment for my husband I have been on very little. Â Tried to start reading again, but still have 6000 messages!

> > > >

> > > > Diagnosed with PA in 2007, Â BP was regulated with a low salt diet. Â Average below 120/80. Â Healthy pregnancy and delivery of a beautiful girl 10 lb. 12 oz - no gestational diabetes, just pure chunk.

> > > >

> > > > I am now three and a half months post partum. Â BP has been fairly normal. Â In the 135/85 range, but I was happy as I know in the postpartum period there is some leveling out. Â About a month ago I felt odd and my bp was up to 176/100 or something like that. Â I believe I took a bath with Epsom salts (I have magnesium issues) and BP seemed normal. Â Has been normal since that time. Â About three days ago I felt like I was urinating all day long in tiny amounts. Â I also dropped 5 pounds in two days. Â I am eating a very low salt diet with virtually no processed foods. Â I take 20 MEQ of slow release K and drink 16 oz of OJ and 8 oz of low sodium V-8. Â In addition I eat lots of fruit and veggies and beans so I think my potassium is high enough.

> > > >

> > > > Tuesday morning my BP was 123/82 and a few hours later standing in the kitchen I felt weird and it was 180/103. Â I think I took my magnesium and it went down to maybe 150/92. Â BP has been up and down the last few days. Â I have been so thirsty and have a really dry mouth like I am dehydrated, but last night I couldn't seem to hold anything in for more than an hour before I would urinate. Â I couldn't sleep either. Â BP would be 180/103 and 15 min after water it would be 135/82 only to go back up after I urinated. Â It was like I couldn't hold on to water. Â

> > > >

> > > > Five years ago I had a situation like this when I was eight months post partum (breastfeeding both times, though now, my baby is strictly breastfed and my eight month old had started solids.

> > > >

> > > > Due to the weight loss I started drinking Gatorade and BP has been around 140/90 - not great, but not ridiculous. Â Any thoughts as to what is going on. Â In my pregnancy I had low sodium and felt less mentally strange with the addition of some salt into my diet. Â The sodium in the Gatorade has not seemed to be a problem and actually seems to help somewhat.

> > > >

> > > > My dr. appt got cancelled today and I go tomorrow. Â New dr. Â None of my PA paperwork is in my military file as we were away from a base when it all started. Â Just want to be on my toes and take the dr. some good info. Â Just hoping she listens to me.

> > > >

> > > > Anybody ever have anything like this happen before?

> > > >

> > > > Around a year ago I was eating so low sodium that my BP went really low 102/68 and pulse went high and adding some salt seemed to help. Â Thanks for listening. Â

> > > >

> > > > -

> > > > Â 42 yoWF, 6 kids, military wife whose husband is currently deployed for a year. Â diagnosed PA 2007. Â AVS found hormone producing tumor on left, couldn't sample right, told me to have adrenelectomy of left and I declined as they could not sample right side

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

I think the opposite - I think something is wrong with where we have set the levels or the way we test it. I can't imagine 9/10 seem to be depleted of vitamin D. In America packaged foods - milk being one - are D fortified, so it doesn't add up.

Before I was diagnosed with PA, my vitamin D was tested and found to be off-the-charts low. My former doctor (the one I fired) prescribed a megadose of it, which somehow raised my BP and exacerbated the palpitations I already had from low K.I was re-tested several months after my adrenalectomy and indeed it was still low. My current doctor is skeptical of supplementation - for one thing, most if not all of the tests done showing benefits from Vit D supplementation were done on white Northern European men over 50. Being neither northern European, male, or over 50, I told my doc that until a study comes out showing benefits of Vit D in mixed-race women under 50, I'm not taking it, because even though the tumor is gone, I'm scared of what Vit D will do. Those palpitations were really frightening.My doc has also noted the same thing that you did - nearly everyone he tests comes back low. One theory about this is that our sun-phobic

culture has everyone slathered in sunscreen; my own experiment-of-one voids this though, as I am out in the sun a lot and refuse to use sunscreen (I'm more fearful of slathering my skin in petrochemicals than I am of sun damage).My low vitamin levels (I've also had Vitamin A and B12 deficiencies) are believed to be due to malabsorbtion from damage done by years of undiagnosed celiac disease. Perhaps the years of undiagnosed low K have contributed as well - if I understand my biology, then low K could cause dysfunction in the smooth muscle of the digestive tract, which is what I suspect was happening to me for many years. I still have malabsorbtion symptoms, but it was far worse before the adrenalectomy.-msmith1928Left laparoscopic adrenalectomy 10/13/11> > > >> > > > I was active on

this board about a year ago and then I got pregnant with baby #6 and between two military moves and a year long deployment for my husband I have been on very little. Â Tried to start reading again, but still have 6000 messages!> > > > > > > > Diagnosed with PA in 2007, Â BP was regulated with a low salt diet. Â Average below 120/80. Â Healthy pregnancy and delivery of a beautiful girl 10 lb. 12 oz - no gestational diabetes, just pure chunk.> > > > > > > > I am now three and a half months post partum. Â BP has been fairly normal. Â In the 135/85 range, but I was happy as I know in the postpartum period there is some leveling out. Â About a month ago I felt odd and my bp was up to 176/100 or something like that. Â I believe I took a bath with Epsom salts (I have magnesium issues) and BP seemed normal. Â Has been normal since that time.

About three days ago I felt like I was urinating all day long in tiny amounts.  I also dropped 5 pounds in two days.  I am eating a very low salt diet with virtually no processed foods.  I take 20 MEQ of slow release K and drink 16 oz of OJ and 8 oz of low sodium V-8.  In addition I eat lots of fruit and veggies and beans so I think my potassium is high enough.> > > > > > > > Tuesday morning my BP was 123/82 and a few hours later standing in the kitchen I felt weird and it was 180/103.  I think I took my magnesium and it went down to maybe 150/92.  BP has been up and down the last few days.  I have been so thirsty and have a really dry mouth like I am dehydrated, but last night I couldn't seem to hold anything in for more than an hour before I would urinate.  I couldn't sleep either.  BP would be 180/103 and 15 min after water it would be 135/82 only

to go back up after I urinated. Â It was like I couldn't hold on to water. Â > > > > > > > > Five years ago I had a situation like this when I was eight months post partum (breastfeeding both times, though now, my baby is strictly breastfed and my eight month old had started solids.> > > > > > > > Due to the weight loss I started drinking Gatorade and BP has been around 140/90 - not great, but not ridiculous. Â Any thoughts as to what is going on. Â In my pregnancy I had low sodium and felt less mentally strange with the addition of some salt into my diet. Â The sodium in the Gatorade has not seemed to be a problem and actually seems to help somewhat.> > > > > > > > My dr. appt got cancelled today and I go tomorrow. Â New dr. Â None of my PA paperwork is in my military file as we were away from a base when it all

started. Â Just want to be on my toes and take the dr. some good info. Â Just hoping she listens to me.> > > > > > > > Anybody ever have anything like this happen before?> > > > > > > > Around a year ago I was eating so low sodium that my BP went really low 102/68 and pulse went high and adding some salt seemed to help. Â Thanks for listening. Â > > > > > > > > -> > > > Â 42 yoWF, 6 kids, military wife whose husband is currently deployed for a year. Â diagnosed PA 2007. Â AVS found hormone producing tumor on left, couldn't sample right, told me to have adrenelectomy of left and I declined as they could not sample right side> > > >> > >> >>

Guest guest

, when I was tested the last time my doc told me there were 2 types of

tests for Vit D and that the one done at most places like Quest or LabCorp is

the really inaccurate one. Perhaps that can be the issue?

And it's true, in the SAD (standard American diet) most dietary Vit D is found

in processed and packaged foods. So in a way it makes sense that mine would be

low as I don't drink milk or eat processed foods, but still - the sun I get

should make up for it.

> > > > >

> > > > > I was active on this board about a year ago and then I got pregnant

with baby #6 and between two military moves and a year long deployment for my

husband I have been on very little.  Tried to start reading again, but still

have 6000 messages!

> > > > >

> > > > > Diagnosed with PA in 2007,  BP was regulated with a low salt diet.

Average below 120/80.  Healthy pregnancy and delivery of a beautiful girl

10 lb. 12 oz - no gestational diabetes, just pure chunk.

> > > > >

> > > > > I am now three and a half months post partum.  BP has been fairly

normal.  In the 135/85 range, but I was happy as I know in the postpartum

period there is some leveling out.  About a month ago I felt odd and my bp

was up to 176/100 or something like that.  I believe I took a bath with Epsom

salts (I have magnesium issues) and BP seemed normal.  Has been normal since

that time.  About three days ago I felt like I was urinating all day long in

tiny amounts.  I also dropped 5 pounds in two days.  I am eating a very

low salt diet with virtually no processed foods.  I take 20 MEQ of slow

release K and drink 16 oz of OJ and 8 oz of low sodium V-8.  In addition I

eat lots of fruit and veggies and beans so I think my potassium is high enough.

> > > > >

> > > > > Tuesday morning my BP was 123/82 and a few hours later standing in the

kitchen I felt weird and it was 180/103.  I think I took my magnesium and it

went down to maybe 150/92.  BP has been up and down the last few days.  I

have been so thirsty and have a really dry mouth like I am dehydrated, but last

night I couldn't seem to hold anything in for more than an hour before I would

urinate.  I couldn't sleep either.  BP would be 180/103 and 15 min after

water it would be 135/82 only to go back up after I urinated.  It was like I

couldn't hold on to water.  

> > > > >

> > > > > Five years ago I had a situation like this when I was eight months

post partum (breastfeeding both times, though now, my baby is strictly breastfed

and my eight month old had started solids.

> > > > >

> > > > > Due to the weight loss I started drinking Gatorade and BP has been

around 140/90 - not great, but not ridiculous.  Any thoughts as to what is

going on.  In my pregnancy I had low sodium and felt less mentally strange

with the addition of some salt into my diet.  The sodium in the Gatorade has

not seemed to be a problem and actually seems to help somewhat.

> > > > >

> > > > > My dr. appt got cancelled today and I go tomorrow.  New dr.

None of my PA paperwork is in my military file as we were away from a base

when it all started.  Just want to be on my toes and take the dr. some good

info.  Just hoping she listens to me.

> > > > >

> > > > > Anybody ever have anything like this happen before?

> > > > >

> > > > > Around a year ago I was eating so low sodium that my BP went really

low 102/68 and pulse went high and adding some salt seemed to help.  Thanks

for listening.  

> > > > >

> > > > > -

> > > > >  42 yoWF, 6 kids, military wife whose husband is currently deployed

for a year.  diagnosed PA 2007.  AVS found hormone producing tumor on

left, couldn't sample right, told me to have adrenelectomy of left and I

declined as they could not sample right side

> > > > >

> > > >