RemedySpot.com

Vitamin D

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Vitamin D3 supplementation is the only way to get D to decent levels when deficient.  She should take 10,000 IU a day for 3 or 4 months and have it rechecked.

I have a friend whose doctor told her that she is very low on Vit D. I suggested taking a oil blend (flax,sunflower, wheat germ, cdl, avocado) that is cold pressed and drink whole raw milk along with 15 minutes of sunshine a day whether it's sunny or not. Can anybody add/improve on these ideas? I appreciate your help on this. Thank you

-- Ann www.janesjewel.com

My dh was recently told by his doctor that he is low on vitamin D (supposed to be between 30-40, and he was 15). He works outside all day (wears a hat and long sleeves) so exposure to sun is sometimes not enough. She put him on a high potency D supplement.

Cactus

To: RawDairy Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 3:03:24 PMSubject: Vitamin D

I have a friend whose doctor told her that she is very low on Vit D. I suggested taking a oil blend (flax,sunflower, wheat germ, cdl, avocado) that is cold pressed and drink whole raw milk along with 15 minutes of sunshine a day whether it's sunny or not. Can anybody add/improve on these ideas? I appreciate your help on this. Thank you

My dh was recently told by his doctor that he is low on vitamin D (supposed to be between 30-40, and he was 15). He works outside all day (wears a hat and long sleeves) so exposure to sun is sometimes not enough. She put him on a high potency D supplement.

Cactus

To: RawDairy Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 3:03:24 PMSubject: Vitamin D

www.westonaprice.org has a lot of good vitamin D information

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadawww.chikouskyfarms.com“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed onto them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.â€- Reagan

Vitamin D

www.westonaprice.org has a lot of good vitamin D information

Debbie ChikouskyManitoba, Canadawww.chikouskyfarms.com“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed onto them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.â€- Reagan

Vitamin D

doesn't sound like he is too exposed to the sun. Just BEING in the sun isn't enough. your skin needs to be exposed also. I too have been vit D deficient.

ro

Vitamin D

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3068 - Release Date: 08/13/10 06:34:00

doesn't sound like he is too exposed to the sun. Just BEING in the sun isn't enough. your skin needs to be exposed also. I too have been vit D deficient.

ro

Vitamin D

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.441 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3068 - Release Date: 08/13/10 06:34:00

ro

Vitamin D

I would add high quality cod liver oil"He who would do good to another must do it in Minute Particulars: general Good is the plea of the scoundrel, hypocrite, and flatterer, for Art and Science cannot exist but in minutely organized Particulars." ( Blake)Subject: Vitamin DTo: RawDairy Date: Friday, August 13, 2010, 3:03 PM

I would recommend the fermented cod liver oil

http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-liver-oil.html

>

> I have a friend whose doctor told her that she is very low on Vit D. I

suggested taking a oil blend (flax,sunflower, wheat germ, cdl, avocado) that is

cold pressed and drink whole raw milk along with 15 minutes of sunshine a day

whether it's sunny or not. Can anybody add/improve on these ideas? I

appreciate your help on this. Thank you

>

Hi Barb,

Vitamin D3 is an excellent way to get her levels up. There is a difference betweeen D2 and D3. D2 is senthetic...man-made...something our bodies do not recognize as natural. D3 is the natural D. Your friend's dr might have recommended how much IU she needs to take daily. It can be as much as 10,000 or more. Covering the body with sun block, etc. will prevent the body from absorbing the D.

Darlene

To: RawDairy Sent: Fri, August 13, 2010 5:03:24 PMSubject: Vitamin D

• 1 month later...

Chuck, Thanks for the link! Quick read but no real "new" info. I can tell you in the office in which I work the vast majority of patients tested are below normal, even this summer (people work inside and night shifts). Values as low as 9 ng/ml !! I have had many patients with unexplained vague MS pain resolve after 3-4 months of supplementation (with levels of D3 at 40-50 ng/ml). This takes 5000 - 10,000 IU/day of D3. D2 does not seem to help! In case anyone is unaware of this great site here its is http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/Testing after 3-4 months of supplementation is important but virtually all of us webfoots will be deficient through the wet months. More at risk are the dark skinned individuals in our society, Hispanics, Middle-easterners and those of African descent. Seitz, DC Tuality Physicians 730-D SE Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)640-3724From: csimpson@...Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 11:26:58 -0700Subject: Vitamin D

All,

This is a nice little summary on vitamin D, the state of the evidence, controversies, etc...

The Oregon Public Health Division is pleased to announce the latest installment in its thrilling series devoted to epidemiology and the public health of Oregonians.

Our latest issue, dated September 14, 2010, is devoted to sunlight and vitamin D.Though not available in any store, you can download today's issue at:

http://oregon.gov/DHS/ph/cdsummary/cdsum.shtml

A. Simpson, DC DABCOMedical Director, Vice PresidentThe CHP Group6600 SW 105th Ave, Suite 115Beaverton, OR 97008503-619-2041 O503-367-0872 C503-644-0442 F

I can only testify to my own experience with VIt. D.  I began taking Vit. D supplements of 2 to 5 thousand IU nearly every day about 4months ago.  After a few months of this regime I began experiencing poor sleep and general weakness and low energy due to this poor sleep.  I suspected that it was some kind of overdose of something.  I had experienced the same phenomena when I OD'd on B-Complex, coffee, or just overworked.  So I have dropped the Vit D altogether for a month and my sleep is back to normal and and generally feel more relaxed and less hyped.  I plan on re-introducing Vit. D in lower doses to see what I can tolerate.

This is just my informal experience.  Some folks might just be hypersensitive to this vit. Schneider DCPDXOn Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Larry Oliver <dro@...> wrote:

I

mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes

more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he

increases the intake of that vitamin.  Does anyone know of any support or

connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain

protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is

intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If the

recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified

that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly

prohibited.  If you have received the communication in error, please notify

Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR  97330, 541-757-9933

and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

-- Schneider DC PDX

He may also need to take naturally occurring cod liver oil, which provides a synergistic co-factor... naturally occurring Vitamin A. Here is Chestnut's write up on Vit D supplementation which may be helpful in understanding what is needed:

Jamey Dyson, DC, CCWPDoctor of Chiropractic (DC)Certified Chiropractic Wellness Practitioner (CCWP)Advanced Chiropractic1295 Wallace Rd NWSalem, OR 97304503-361-3949drjdyson1@... On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Larry Oliver wrote:I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim? Larry L. Oliver, DC408 NW 7thCorvallis, OR541-757-9933fax 541-757-7713www.heresco.com The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

1 of 1 File(s)

vitamin_d_what_everyone_needs_to_know.pdf

Has he had his levels tested? Is he taking D? Has it been the same product at all time; if so what brand? What about his diet, is it "clean" or SAD? Everyone has the right to be different, and perhaps this individual is in the "normal range" already. Vit D is obviously no panacea but deficiency is rampant. One concern I have encountered is that Vit D3 supplementation is not the normal way to get the hormone--Sun exposure is, so if this individual is low, but cannot tolerate oral dosing, visiting a tanning booth may be a better approach. Another interesting point is that we actually do lose Vit D with bathing, yes it washes away! Dogs actually dose by licking themselves apparently! So frequent bathing may contribute to low Vit D.Just some rambling thoughts! Seitz, DC Tuality Physicians 730-D SE Oak St Hillsboro, OR 97123 (503)640-3724 From: dro@...Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:08:53 -0700Subject: Vitamin D

I

mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes

more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he

increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or

connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain

protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is

intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the

recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified

that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly

prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify

Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933

and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

I also use the Biotics for myself and recommend it to patients all winter. Biotics is a natural D from the lanolin in sheep's wool. Nevertheless this peaked my interest. It could be that the A/D combo is better.

Colwell, DC

Re: Vitamin D

Not sure why you disagree. He is simply pointing out that our healthy ancestors got Vitamin D from marine animal liver oil and the ratio of Vit A:D in naturally occurring liver oil is 10:1. That statement is just to help a person differentiate between a true natural oil and a processed oil with back-added synthetic Vitamin A & D. The idea is to keep things as close to nature as possible.

"As humans migrated away from the equator we had to devise ways of replacing the sun as a

source of vitamin D. In other words, in order to survive non equatorial climates humans had

to find a source of vitamin D other than sunlight. Over thousands of years of experimentation

virtually every human culture learned that the best way to stay sufficient in vitamin D in

environments with reduced sun exposure was to consume marine animal liver or liver oil. Cod

liver oil is probably the best known and widely recognized as the best source of dietary vitamin D

for humans. For centuries humans have used cod liver oil as a safe and effective way to achievesufficient vitamin D levels in the absence of sun exposure."

Chestnut's company Innate Choice sells Vitamin A & D in the form of naturally occurring cod liver oil along with Vitamin D3 drops derived from lanolin. He now recommends that everybody supplement with Vit D. The cod liver oil just provides more synergistic co-factors that may help with Vit D utilization. Sounds like you are doing great with your Biotics supplement. Keep it up!

- Jamey Dyson, DC

On Sep 16, 2010, at 12:51 PM, Kalb wrote:

Thanks for the article from Dr Chestnut. I must disagree with his conclusion that: "As mentioned above the optimal ratio for Vit A and Vit D is about 10:1 respectively and this is what naturally occurs in Innate ChoiceTM Natural A & D SufficiencyTM genuine Norwegian cod liver oil." That seems backwards to me and most of the recent research I have read. I personally take daily around 8k of Biotics emulsified D and my blood levels are over 55, which I consider to be optimal! No more winter blues, colds or flu form me in years. I like what I have seen from Chestnut, but does he sell this Cod Liver oil?

Respectfully... jk

M Kalb MS DC

Wellness Chiropractor and Health Coachwww.DrKalb.com 541.488.3001

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:57 AM, Jamey Dyson wrote:

He may also need to take naturally occurring cod liver oil, which provides a synergistic co-factor... naturally occurring Vitamin A. Here is Chestnut's write up on Vit D supplementation which may be helpful in understanding what is needed:

<vitamin_d_what_everyone_needs_to_know.pdf>

Jamey Dyson, DC, CCWP

Doctor of Chiropractic (DC)

Certified Chiropractic Wellness Practitioner (CCWP)

Advanced Chiropractic

1295 Wallace Rd NW

Salem, OR 97304

503-361-3949

drjdyson1@...

On Sep 16, 2010, at 10:08 AM, Larry Oliver wrote:

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

Dr. Janet Lang talks about two factors in absorption of any nutrient. One is physiological need and the other is tolerance. There may be a physiological need, as when the patient's D levels are below 40 (like most people we test), but they have a low tolerance to the needed input. That means you have to start low and gradually build up the dose.

This is old information to many of us, but it helps to be reminded that not everyone can take a horse pill with 10 Million Vitamins!

And as Sunny always reminds us, if the mineral levels are low, the person won't receive the benefit of the supplement, whether natural like Cod Liver or synthetic D3.

Hair analysis is one way of determining mineral levels and there are other ways. It's not wise to presume that just because they are walking around that they have enough minerals.

Christian Mathisen, DC, CCWFN

3654 S Pacific Hwy

Medford, OR 97501

cmathdc@...

Vitamin D

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

The information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution

So, does taking all this D3 give us a "relative deficiency" of vit A?? (if we're not taking cod liver oil?). (:-)

RR

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

Yep

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

Yep

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

Cod Liver Oil and Vit A may not be all it is cracked up to be - esp in relation to Vit D supplementation. Some interesting Journal articles for those who want more reading.See more about vit D and testing/supplementation etc @ http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDPhysiology.shtml Penniston KL, Tanumihardjo SA. The acute and chronic toxic effects of vitamin A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83(2):191–201."Unfortunately, Hess's prophecy of a passing fad proved premature and Americans continue consuming multivitamins and/or cod liver oil containing small amounts of vitamin D but undesirable quantities of vitamin A. For example, multivitamins, until recently, had small amounts of vitamin D (200 to 400 IU) but high amounts of preformed retinol (5,000 to 10,000 IU). This pales in comparison to a tablespoon of modern cod liver oil, most of which contains sub-physiological amounts of vitamin D (400 to 1200 IU) but supra-physiological amounts of completely preformed retinol (5,000 to 15,000 IU or, in some cases, 30,000 IU)." Semba RD. Vitamin A as "anti-infective" therapy, 1920–1940. J Nutr 1999;129:783–791. Grotto I, Mimouni M, Gdalevich M, Mimouni D. Vitamin A

supplementation and childhood morbidity from diarrhea and respiratory infections: a meta-analysis. J Pediatr 2003;142:297–304."Clinical lore holds that Vitamin A is an anti-infective. We suggest that lore exists because of old cod liver oil studies. Semba reviewed early literature on vitamin A, usually given as cod or halibut liver oil, as a successful anti-infective. For reasons that are not entirely clear, fish liver oils of the time contained much higher amounts of vitamin D then does modern cod liver oil, perhaps because modern processing removes the vitamin D during distillation and then replace it at lower doses. Furthermore, a meta-analysis concluded that vitamin A, when given alone, increases the incidence of respiratory tract infections. If vitamin A increases the risk of respiratory infections, its high content in modern cod liver oils will only mask the full benefit of adequate vitamin D nutrition." Hathcock JN, Hattan DG, MY, Mc JT, Sundaresan PR, Wilkening VL. Evaluation of vitamin A toxicity. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:183–202. Mills JP, Furr HC, Tanumihardjo SA. Retinol to retinol binding protein (RBP) is low in obese adults due to elevated apo-RBP. Exp Bio Med. In press. Tanumihardjo SA. Food-based approaches for ensuring adequate vitamin A nutrition. Comp Rev Food Sci Food Safety. In

press."As the prevalence of vitamin A deficiency in the United States is apparently much lower than the prevalence of subclinical vitamin A toxicity, we cannot recommend cod liver oil for either adults or children. (We exclude fish body oil from our warning, as it contains no vitamin A or vitamin D but is a very important source of omega-3 fatty acids.) For example, in a recent assessment of serum retinyl esters in a group of obese individuals, four percent had levels >10% of total retinol which usually indicates hypervitaminosis A. Instead, a diet rich in carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, and other orange fruits and vegetables will supply all the carotenoids the body needs to make retinol without the potential for hypervitaminosis A, especially when additional preformed retinol already exists in dairy products, eggs, and fortified cereal. We wish our diet were as rich in vitamin D. With the exception of infants on formula or toddlers drinking large amounts of milk or fortified juice, adequate amounts of vitamin D are virtually impossible to obtain from diet." Title: Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A Toxicity, Frequent Respiratory Infections, and the Vitamin D Deficiency EpidemicAuthors: J. Cannell, MD; Reinhold Vieth, MS, PhD; Walter Willett, MD, DrPH; Zasloff, MD, PhD; N. Hathcock, MSc, PhD; H. White, PhD; Sherry A. Tanumihardjo, MSc, PhD; D. Enette Larson-Meyer, PhD; Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari, MD, MPH; Christel J. Lamberg-Allardt, PhD; Joan M. Lappe, PhD, RN; W. Norman, PhD; Armin Zittermann, PhD; J. Whiting, MSc, PhD; B. Grant, PhD; Bruce W. Hollis, PhD; Giovannucci, MD (Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2008;117:864-870.) 26 May 2010

Professor needs help with autism study

Professor Gene Stubbs of the University of Oregon needs help with a study about vitamin D and autism. He is testing the theory that a mother

with one child with autism will not have another if the mother takes vitamin D during her pregnancy. Women no longer need to come to the University of Oregon but can participate at a distance. Professor Stubbs

writes:

"Can anyone assist us in recruiting mothers who already have children with autism and the mother is pregnant again before her third trimester? We are giving the mothers 5000 IU

D3/day. So far every mother who has delivered has delivered within 1 week or on the date of expected delivery, and the babies are well within

normal birth weights. They have not progressed far enough in age for us

to screen for autism, but so far, the babies are interactive, have eye contact, are vocal etc..

However, we need more research families to participate. We have recruited other doctors to help us recruit and we have recruited doctors

on the Vitamin D Council sites to help us recruit. We still need more families to participate to make our results significant. The families no

longer have to come to our site to participate. If you know of any families who potentially might be eligible for our research, please give

them my research assistant's phone number, 503-351-9255."

; drbobdc83@...From: cmathdc@...Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:33:00 -0700Subject: Re: Vitamin D

Yep

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

Cod Liver Oil and Vit A may not be all it is cracked up to be - esp in relation to Vit D supplementation. Some interesting Journal articles for those who want more reading.See more about vit D and testing/supplementation etc @ http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDPhysiology.shtml Penniston KL, Tanumihardjo SA. The acute and chronic toxic effects of vitamin A. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006;83(2):191–201."Unfortunately, Hess's prophecy of a passing fad proved premature and Americans continue consuming multivitamins and/or cod liver oil containing small amounts of vitamin D but undesirable quantities of vitamin A. For example, multivitamins, until recently, had small amounts of vitamin D (200 to 400 IU) but high amounts of preformed retinol (5,000 to 10,000 IU). This pales in comparison to a tablespoon of modern cod liver oil, most of which contains sub-physiological amounts of vitamin D (400 to 1200 IU) but supra-physiological amounts of completely preformed retinol (5,000 to 15,000 IU or, in some cases, 30,000 IU)." Semba RD. Vitamin A as "anti-infective" therapy, 1920–1940. J Nutr 1999;129:783–791. Grotto I, Mimouni M, Gdalevich M, Mimouni D. Vitamin A

supplementation and childhood morbidity from diarrhea and respiratory infections: a meta-analysis. J Pediatr 2003;142:297–304."Clinical lore holds that Vitamin A is an anti-infective. We suggest that lore exists because of old cod liver oil studies. Semba reviewed early literature on vitamin A, usually given as cod or halibut liver oil, as a successful anti-infective. For reasons that are not entirely clear, fish liver oils of the time contained much higher amounts of vitamin D then does modern cod liver oil, perhaps because modern processing removes the vitamin D during distillation and then replace it at lower doses. Furthermore, a meta-analysis concluded that vitamin A, when given alone, increases the incidence of respiratory tract infections. If vitamin A increases the risk of respiratory infections, its high content in modern cod liver oils will only mask the full benefit of adequate vitamin D nutrition." Hathcock JN, Hattan DG, MY, Mc JT, Sundaresan PR, Wilkening VL. Evaluation of vitamin A toxicity. Am J Clin Nutr. 1990;52:183–202. Mills JP, Furr HC, Tanumihardjo SA. Retinol to retinol binding protein (RBP) is low in obese adults due to elevated apo-RBP. Exp Bio Med. In press. Tanumihardjo SA. Food-based approaches for ensuring adequate vitamin A nutrition. Comp Rev Food Sci Food Safety. In

press."As the prevalence of vitamin A deficiency in the United States is apparently much lower than the prevalence of subclinical vitamin A toxicity, we cannot recommend cod liver oil for either adults or children. (We exclude fish body oil from our warning, as it contains no vitamin A or vitamin D but is a very important source of omega-3 fatty acids.) For example, in a recent assessment of serum retinyl esters in a group of obese individuals, four percent had levels >10% of total retinol which usually indicates hypervitaminosis A. Instead, a diet rich in carrots, sweet potatoes, cantaloupe, and other orange fruits and vegetables will supply all the carotenoids the body needs to make retinol without the potential for hypervitaminosis A, especially when additional preformed retinol already exists in dairy products, eggs, and fortified cereal. We wish our diet were as rich in vitamin D. With the exception of infants on formula or toddlers drinking large amounts of milk or fortified juice, adequate amounts of vitamin D are virtually impossible to obtain from diet." Title: Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin A Toxicity, Frequent Respiratory Infections, and the Vitamin D Deficiency EpidemicAuthors: J. Cannell, MD; Reinhold Vieth, MS, PhD; Walter Willett, MD, DrPH; Zasloff, MD, PhD; N. Hathcock, MSc, PhD; H. White, PhD; Sherry A. Tanumihardjo, MSc, PhD; D. Enette Larson-Meyer, PhD; Heike A. Bischoff-Ferrari, MD, MPH; Christel J. Lamberg-Allardt, PhD; Joan M. Lappe, PhD, RN; W. Norman, PhD; Armin Zittermann, PhD; J. Whiting, MSc, PhD; B. Grant, PhD; Bruce W. Hollis, PhD; Giovannucci, MD (Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 2008;117:864-870.) 26 May 2010

Professor needs help with autism study

Professor Gene Stubbs of the University of Oregon needs help with a study about vitamin D and autism. He is testing the theory that a mother

with one child with autism will not have another if the mother takes vitamin D during her pregnancy. Women no longer need to come to the University of Oregon but can participate at a distance. Professor Stubbs

writes:

"Can anyone assist us in recruiting mothers who already have children with autism and the mother is pregnant again before her third trimester? We are giving the mothers 5000 IU

D3/day. So far every mother who has delivered has delivered within 1 week or on the date of expected delivery, and the babies are well within

normal birth weights. They have not progressed far enough in age for us

to screen for autism, but so far, the babies are interactive, have eye contact, are vocal etc..

However, we need more research families to participate. We have recruited other doctors to help us recruit and we have recruited doctors

on the Vitamin D Council sites to help us recruit. We still need more families to participate to make our results significant. The families no

longer have to come to our site to participate. If you know of any families who potentially might be eligible for our research, please give

them my research assistant's phone number, 503-351-9255."

; drbobdc83@...From: cmathdc@...Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:33:00 -0700Subject: Re: Vitamin D

Yep

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

1,000 years ago my ancestors, the Vikings, conquered Europe. They explored through Russia and even to North America.

One of their advantages was naturally fermented Cod Liver Oil. This FOOD comes in a natural format good for human beings. All the symbiotic elements are there and Vitamin A and D as well as EPA and DHA are there as the Creator put them there.

Then along came steam distillation, which allowed for the cod liver oil to be produced faster and not taste so bad from fermentation. Alas, the natural vitamins and relationships were gone and this new cod liver oil is indeed not good and perhaps even toxic in large doses.

I always suspect research which makes sweeping conclusions about a natural food by studying synthetic products. I assume one of the big pharmas want to make more profit off their stuff rather than let us rely on food.

By the way, most of the synthetic vitamins are made by one of the big pharma companies. These synthetics are drugs, not food.

That's why I use naturally fermented cod liver oil. Green Pastures, made right here in the good old USA. I've seen assays from this company with natural Vit D as high as 11,000 units per teaspoon. You can bet the A in this has all the synergistic products that help it be properly used by the body. As with all food, if the body doesn't need it, it will eliminate it. With those synthetic drugs, the body has to go through a drug reaction and that will cause some problems.

This is old stuff to a lot of folks and I apologize for rambling on about it. But I have to give this talk every day to patients who come in with Brand XXX triple strength Stress Tab B vitamin 1,000 with 10,000 units of retinol. I guarantee retinol is not good. It isn't food. Just say no to drugs and eat food instead!

3654 S Pacific Hwy

Medford, OR 97501

cmathdc@...

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

Very interesting, tell that to Doug Mawson who died eating his sled dogs liver. Or tell that to the eskimos who died eating polar bear liver. There are many cases of poisoning from eating natural substances. I have a patient that lives on steroids due to toxicity from eating mushrooms. Maybe you should reconsider the body just discarding what it does not need.

--Dr. Layman

Vitamin D

Larry L. Oliver, DC

408 NW 7th

Corvallis, OR

541-757-9933

fax 541-757-7713

www.heresco.com

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.445 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/3141 - Release Date: 09/17/10 12:24:00

What exactly are these co-factors necessary for vitamin D activity? I'd love to see some documentation.

M Kalb MS DCWellness Chiropractor and Health Coachwww.DrKalb.com 541.488.3001

On Sep 17, 2010, at 7:58 AM, Christian Mathisen wrote:

Dr. Janet Lang talks about two factors in absorption of any nutrient. One is physiological need and the other is tolerance. There may be a physiological need, as when the patient's D levels are below 40 (like most people we test), but they have a low tolerance to the needed input. That means you have to start low and gradually build up the dose.

This is old information to many of us, but it helps to be reminded that not everyone can take a horse pill with 10 Million Vitamins!

And as Sunny always reminds us, if the mineral levels are low, the person won't receive the benefit of the supplement, whether natural like Cod Liver or synthetic D3.

Hair analysis is one way of determining mineral levels and there are other ways. It's not wise to presume that just because they are walking around that they have enough minerals.

3654 S Pacific Hwy

Medford, OR 97501

cmathdc@...

Vitamin D

I mentioned the recent Vitamin D thread to a pt who insisted that when he takes more than 2000 IU of Vitamin D he becomes more and more irritable as he increases the intake of that vitamin. Does anyone know of any support or connection for his claim?Larry L. Oliver, DC408 NW 7thCorvallis, OR541-757-9933fax 541-757-7713www.heresco.comThe information contained in this electronic message may contain protected health information which is confidential under applicable law and is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the recipient of the message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received the communication in error, please notify Heresco Chiropractic & Associates, 408 NW 7th St, Corvallis, OR 97330, 541-757-9933 and purge the communication immediately without making any copy or distribution